Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Kitharsis and the OGHRUN  (Read 6236 times)

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Kitharsis and the OGHRUN
« on: March 30, 2010, 07:00:24 PM »
Now, I feel like I'm being a bit pedantic in bringing this up, but it's sort of been bothering me...

I've noticed something in Kith's backstory that doesn't really make sense - specifically, his peoples' war with the OGHRUN.

The OGHRUN's homeworld is called Relenia (if I recall correctly), but Kitharsis is from Legund.  Kith's backstory states that the OGHRUN came to Legund and then a war broke out when the OGHRUN discovered that the Jataka were magical beings.

The problem is, the OGHRUN actually would have had no means of getting to Legund, even if the two planets are in the same Plane.

There are basically two ways that they could have come to Legund: either through some sort of faster-than-light space travel, or through Warp travel.

Technologically speaking, the OGHRUN are perhaps at the same level as ancient Rome would have been... so not nearly advanced enough for space travel of any kind.

Warp travel can be performed two different ways: either with powerful sorcery or using advanced technology.  But as stated, the OGHRUN don't possess very advanced technology.  And they despise all magic.  In fact, opening a magical Warp Gate wouldn't even be possible inside or anywhere near the OGHRUN's only city, since the Vortex Gem there would have prevented any such act... and that city is the only place the OGHRUN live on Relenia (though they do raid other species on Relenia at times, they don't tend to settle down outside of the protection of the Gem)

So, anyone got any thoughts on this?

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
Re: Kitharsis and the OGHRUN
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:05:16 PM »
well just spitballing but any chance he just made a mistake and like made up the name without realizing there is a race out there that go by that name?  Dunno how knowledgeable he is on WH40k offhand *shrug* 
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 10:09:26 PM »
The OGHRUN have nothing to do with 40K.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 10:45:42 PM »
well just spitballing but any chance he just made a mistake and like made up the name without realizing there is a race out there that go by that name?  Dunno how knowledgeable he is on WH40k offhand *shrug*

The OGHRUN were a race that I made up for The Weaver of Destiny, and they're not based on WH40k (or anything else for that matter)... though they somewhat similar to Ogres in appearance.  The reason they're part of Kith's backstory is because Kith first appeared in the BBs when the Companions were trapped in the OGHRUN colloseum - he was one of the magic-users imprisoned there.

Kith's backstory explains how he got there, but it sort of doesn't gel with the backstory of the OGHRUN that I made up.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 12:05:01 AM »
whoops my mistake....got spelling mixed up lol.....was thinking the Ogryn from Dawn of War....not Oghrun....ignore my crazy speak :)
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 09:54:58 AM »
My bad, I must apologise.  In my rush to get a character posted I skipped the whole step of asking you, Soul, if the story meshes with the OGHRUN's history.

• I was thinking there could be the possibility that they had discovered ancient technology on their planet, took a joy-ride to Legund, then departed.  Upon arrival they crash and render the ship irrepairable.  The foray is quickly swept under the carpet, the leaders blaming the whole shindig on the evils of magic...
  • Or I can edit and make it that a third party came to Legund and did the marauding and capturing.  Upon leaving their ships are damaged by the Jataka.  The ships limp to the closest planet, which would be the OGHRUN's world.  When the marauders landed they were met by the OGHRUN, conflict ensued.  Kitharsis and his comrades are thrown into the arena after the skirmish.

Either way, whoops  :-[  I am planning on fleshing the story out more in the fiction portion of the site.  Until that is implemented, and until I get to writing it up, I could simply remove the portion of his backstory of how he managed to find himself in the OGHRUN's arena.  Your call Soul.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:01:59 AM by Kitharsis »

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 10:27:58 AM »
So either way they were so awesome that the  concept of the species inspired Kith to use them in his own profile.  Sounds reasonable. Honestly, I'd take it as a compliment, but that's just me.   ;)

But shouldn't this be a matter that should be held in private? It seems best suited between two people rather than the business of the boards as a whole.  :-X
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 11:32:39 AM by Danyael »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 01:59:34 PM »
But shouldn't this be a matter that should be held in private? It seems best suited between two people rather than the business of the boards as a whole.  :-X

Since Soul was asking for input from everyone, not just Kitharsis, I think it was appropriate to bring it here. It's not really a conflict between two players. Just a question about another character's backstory.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 04:51:26 PM »
My bad, I must apologise.  In my rush to get a character posted I skipped the whole step of asking you, Soul, if the story meshes with the OGHRUN's history.

• I was thinking there could be the possibility that they had discovered ancient technology on their planet, took a joy-ride to Legund, then departed.  Upon arrival they crash and render the ship irrepairable.  The foray is quickly swept under the carpet, the leaders blaming the whole shindig on the evils of magic...
  • Or I can edit and make it that a third party came to Legund and did the marauding and capturing.  Upon leaving their ships are damaged by the Jataka.  The ships limp to the closest planet, which would be the OGHRUN's world.  When the marauders landed they were met by the OGHRUN, conflict ensued.  Kitharsis and his comrades are thrown into the arena after the skirmish.

Either way, whoops  :-[  I am planning on fleshing the story out more in the fiction portion of the site.  Until that is implemented, and until I get to writing it up, I could simply remove the portion of his backstory of how he managed to find himself in the OGHRUN's arena.  Your call Soul.

I like option number 2, it sounds like the most reasonable.  The OGHRUN wouldn't know how to use technology and would refuse to use magic to travel, but it makes perfect sense if, for some reason or another, a space (or warp-faring) people visited the Jakata, and for some reason, took some Jakata with them.  Then the visitiors (either for exploration or by accident) end up on the OGHRUN homeworld.  Next thing you know, bad shit goes down when they run into the OGHRUN, and Kitharsis ends up in the arena.  That would work perfectly in my opinion.

So either way they were so awesome that the  concept of the species inspired Kith to use them in his own profile.  Sounds reasonable. Honestly, I'd take it as a compliment, but that's just me.   ;)

Actually, I always sort of felt the OGHRUN were kind of forced into Kith's profile because of how we first met him - he joined the BBs partway during The Weaver of Destiny, and after some discussion we decided it would be best to introduce him during the gladiator segment on Relenia, with Kith being one of the prisoners there.  I feel that Kith having to use the OGHRUN in his background is due to how he was segued into the story more than any personal love for the OGHRUN.

That said, I do really like how Kith was introduced - so much better than the usual *warp gate opens* "Hey, I just happened to run into you guys, I heard of you before, wanna join up?" that tends to happen.

And yes, I was hoping to get some suggestions from others on what they would consider to be a good solution to the dilemma, which is why I kept it as an open topic.  But at the moment I think Kith's own suggestion works really well.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:02:38 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 10:27:13 AM »
Number 2 it is.

The OGHRUN were kind of forced upon Kitharsis's story, but I think it turned out really well.  In fact, his time away from Legund and his travels with the companions is what influenced his transformation into a Tirthandara.  Being exposed to so many evil energies from our foes altered the results of the ritual.  This is another idea I'd like t o explore either through the epic BB or in the fiction section.

Clutch, an edit to Kitharsis's introduction is forthcoming.