Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Board battle audiobook; Gulgrim post test  (Read 6793 times)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
Board battle audiobook; Gulgrim post test
« on: December 05, 2016, 09:07:24 PM »
Hi guys. I was reading through the most recent posts on the Epic battle, and I just got the sudden creative urge to do a thing, and so it happened. I recorded a reading of Gulgrim's most recent post as if from an audiobook. The mic quality isn't as good as I could have it be; I was using my webcam mic rather than the blue yeti I use for podcasting, because it was just an in the moment thing. But I actually really liked doing this and I might consider doing this treatment to particularly awesome posts in our battles. Just thought you guys might enjoy it.

Here's a link to my first test.

Edit: The better one is in the second post.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98FSmfWGMX1SVFyRzhYUjBmaFk/view?usp=sharing
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 09:51:18 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
Re: Board battle audiobook; Gulgrim post test
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:56:21 PM »
I went and grabbed my yeti mic and did another one, this one from the fight with Soul Reaver. I also did a little more work on this one. Instead of just noise cancelling and EQ, I also did my best to remove some of my stumbles, close gaps of quiet, and silence some of the moments where you can hear breathing that doesn't seem fitting with the take. Here's another test.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B98FSmfWGMX1M2hoTjJlUXlKYTQ/view?usp=sharing

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2016, 01:26:17 PM »
I decided to try my hand at a somewhat longer post, this one being the most recent story post from our battle master at the epic battle. I largely wanted to experiment with space marine helmet effects and telepathy sounds in this test, so I may have missed some of the pruning I did for the last post, especially since this one is much longer.

Do note that without any vocal direction from the ones behind these characters, I have no idea how they are supposed to sound, so I've just had to take a stab in the dark at their vocal style. If someone doesn't sound like they are envisioned to, I apologize. This was also partly a test to see how well I can distinguish multiple characters in one post.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98FSmfWGMX1VmMwMzBDbEgyZVE

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2016, 11:41:31 PM »
Hey, this is cool.  Enjoyed hearing another member narrating the Board Battles.  I'll always hear Gulgrim sounding like Gorgutsz from DoW in my head though.

The Marine sound effects sound very spot-on as well.

It's funny because I recently did some audio-related stuff myself with my meteor mic, but nothing in relation to the board battles (it's a mod for The Ur-Quan Masters).

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 03:00:45 AM »
Hey, this is cool.  Enjoyed hearing another member narrating the Board Battles.  I'll always hear Gulgrim sounding like Gorgutsz from DoW in my head though.

Glad you enjoy it.

Hearing him as Gorgutz is kinda funny, since I actively have modeled him after Kaptin Bluddflagg, but I do like the idea of him sounding like Gorgutz.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2016, 03:14:26 AM »
These are really great. No complaints about any of the voices in the last one. You absolutely nailed Karyl, though it's pronounced "Carl."  :P

Listening to these definitely makes me wish that more of the battles were narrated like this. Great work.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2016, 03:50:22 AM »
I'm not sure I quite like the voice I did for Soul Reaver in this test. I tried to get as close as possible to that extra deep, just-woke-up tone of voice that most people can only access well..Right after they wake up. Unfortunately I've been up for a long time. I think I'll experiment with some different vocal styles for Soul in particular in the future, because he's a very unique character that deserves a unique voice, like I feel I've hit for Cameron and Gulgrim. I do feel like I've done at least a passable job of conveying emotions in character's I'm not overly familiar with though.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98FSmfWGMX1a3BhRmxLcnk2ajA

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2016, 10:33:57 PM »
Now I feel the need the record some of this with my own mic too.

Then you'll get to hear my awesome accent. :P

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 10:00:33 AM »
These are great!

Great job with the pacing and effects!  Gulgrim sounds exactly the way I thought he would.

I have to admit, I don't even know what Kitharsis would sound like.  Deep, and deliberate.  If I had the nerve, and my wife wouldn't make fun of me, I might give it a shot :P

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 02:30:10 AM »
Decided to step back into this little project of mine with a Kitharsis test. When you mentioned deep and deliberate, I immediately went with something close to my Tauren voice. Went with a shorter post just to ease back into this thing.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98FSmfWGMX1ZXZIaTlEZFBRaXM

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 08:53:32 AM »
Woot!

Its pretty dang neat to hear a post somewhere other than inside your own head.

Well done!