Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Shadowhaunt: The black Crusade (Part I)  (Read 39195 times)

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
Re: Shadowhaunt: The black Crusade (Part I)
« Reply #100 on: August 08, 2012, 08:00:26 AM »
The smell of burned flesh filled the air as the, werewolf lied charred before the priest, unfortunately Rau did not have time to give a sigh of relief and instead he rushed to answer Shani’s calls.

As Rau closed in, he saw the hands of the female werewolf covered in blood. The werewolf’s jaws must have sunk in deep into Wrynjolf's flesh. Even though the wound was grave, the priest knew that the true horrors of a werewolf’s bite laid elsewhere. By biting the werewolves’ spread their curse to other creatures and if not treated immediately the infection becomes unavertable. Rau had to hurry and purify the nord, but he could not leave the wound completely untreated.

(Fast Heal) As the priest approaches, he closes his eyes and concentrates. Seconds after that, small, dim bursts of light begin to leave his body and evaporate into the air. The same happens with the nord and his wound’s bleeding begins to subside, slowly going to a stop.

(Purify) Upon reaching Wrynjolf, Rau kneels next to him and begins gathering holy energy. “You should let go of him now.” he addresses Shani. The priest holds his hands above the wounded nord and begins the purification. Wrynjolf is instantly illuminated by the holy energy. It spreads through the nord and tries to remove everything alien to the body.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #101 on: August 08, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
The Gorger emerged from the forest, his wounds regenerating at an alarming rate, and his body covered in werewolf blood, licking his teeth clean.  His appetite had finally been sated for the moment, having consumed the beast's most prominent organs and tissue.  At last, he seemed content.

However, there seemed to be other matters at hand, and Shani seemed rather concerned over a werewolf bite Wrynjolf had suffered, oozing with the tantalizing smell of blood.

"Oh, the silliness of it all..." a raspy chuckle emitted from The Gorger's throat, "The tamers seem happy enough to use werewolves to their own ends.  I say we let him turn." He lurched closer to the group, overlooking Wrynjolf as he was being purified by Father Rau.  "Next time, he may not be so lucky."  Though his words would offend many, others who knew him better might suspect that The Gorger came dangerously close to conveying concern.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #102 on: August 13, 2012, 06:56:51 PM »
Sun Wu stares at the werewolf as it slumps, pinned to the tree.  He feels no pity for the beast.  It challenged him, and was overtaken.

Wu lowers his hands and straightens himself.  He brushes a bit of dirt off of his shirt as he scans the forest around him.

Father Rau is already running toward the wounded.  He is a useful man, honing his skills for both taking and giving life.  Wu has seen monks capable of such things - utilizing Chi to mend the wounds of others.  Wu has no taste for it.

The Gorger stomps out of the forest, his wounds regenerating with each step.  He seems satisfied with the battle.  He gives his abrasive opinion of the whole affair.  Wu gives no concern to his words, having already figured out the Gorger's attitude toward most things.

Wu sighs and starts walking through the ranks of his companions.  People are cleaning their weapons and checking gear for breaks or failures.  As the adrenaline wears off some warriors are finding bruises and scrapes gained moments ago.  No victory goes without cost.  Wu feels his arms tightening from the force of the Frozen Geyser attack.

He begins stretching them out to relieve some of the tension, waiting for orders from Sir Walter.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 09:35:26 AM by Kitharsis »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #103 on: August 14, 2012, 06:00:48 AM »
While Wrynjolf's wounds did indeed cease to bleed and began on their way to a steady heal, when the priest began to attempt to purify him he began to writhe in pain, crying out in agony.

"Stop it, you're hurting him!" Shani cried, lashing out with an arm meant to push away, not to hurt the priest, the purifying spell fading away. "We're too late...This isn't something I wanted to happen...To anyone. Nobody should have to deal with this." Shani began to cry as the disease took hold. Wrynjolf's eyes rolled back in his head and his chest began to heave. It was at that moment that sir Walter came back, and in an instant he knew what was going on.

"Zoltan! Hold him!" The abomination strode over and took Wrynjolf from the arms of the still-weeping werewolf. The huge monster put the changing Wrynjolf into what would've been a full nelson, had he been the nord's size. As it were, he more just held the man's shoulders in the crooks of his arms, Wrynjolf's feet dangling off the ground as he convulsed and changed.

Fur sprouted along Wrynjolf's body. Veined muscles began to bulge, and the sickening pop of bones was heard. Wrynjolf let out a feral cry of pain as his arms and legs elongated, his torso broadening and his face becoming a snout. Sharpened fangs sprouted across his maw, and his eyes turned yellow and vicious. A tail burst forth from his ripping breeches, his clawed feet tearing through his boots. With a final howl, the change was complete, his mouth turning to the crescent moon to cry out. But his racket was interrupted by a forceful hand. Walter took hold of the werewolf's face with his right hand, drawing his gaze back down to the tamer. Wrynjolf instinctively tried to bite at Sir Walter, to claw at him, but his body was in a vise, and his powerful jaw could not overpower the mere right hand of this man before him.

"Listen to me, Wrynjolf. I know you hear me." Sir Walter began, his gaze steely. "We don't have a collar for you, so you must fight through this yourself. Show me the strong willpower of the nords. Fight, Wrynjolf! Fight for all you held dear in life! Remember what it is to be human!"

The werewolf's eyes twitched in recognition, but just as quickly returned to their feral state, growling at the tamer before him.

"Remember Wrynjolf....Remember everything you hold dear, everything you love...."  Sir walter took a moment to think. Something came to his mind, and he took a hunch. He waved his hand, and a person approached. "Remember Shani." The tamed werewolf woman stood just behind Sir Walter.

Wrynjolf's eyes flitted to Shani, and instantly he recognized her. He saw the tears streaming down her face, the sorrow in her eyes. Something in him clicked.

"Shani..." The werewolf muttered through the vise of the tamer's hand on his muzzle. His body began to compact itself, shrinking down as hair receded and he slowly returned to normal. Exhausted, but human again, he dangled from Zoltan's arms until a gesture from sir Walter had the abomination release him. He hit the ground with a kneel, and slowly stood, his body aching. All he could do was walk over to Shani and wrap his arms around her in a tender hug. Moments later he was unconscious, Shani holding him up. She wiped tears from her eyes, and set him on the ground to let him rest.

"We camp here for tonight. Everyone set up tents before I activate a barrier." Sir Walter's command went out, and the soldiers went to work, setting up tents and gathering wood for a fire.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #104 on: August 17, 2012, 04:10:24 PM »
The Gorger looked upon the altered Wrynjolf, inspecting him.  His strength had grown many fold, though his mind would now be filled with animal instincts that would leave him to rely entirely on his strength... though, not much had changed in that aspect.  Perhaps it was for the best all around. 

"Not to worry, Wrynjolf ol' boy.  Your lady friend will understand, I'm sure." The Gorger joked in passing.

On the ground beside him was one of the assailing werewolves, roasted.  The Gorger raised a brow at the power the priest possessed; while the healing was impressive indeed, it was rare that a man of faith possessed a parallel of destructive power.  He hated to admit it to himself, but should he ever break his shackles, he would have to avoid confronting Father Rau first.  With another glance was something that piqued his curiosity further:  a werewolf firmly embedded into the trunk of a tree.  Nearby, Sun Wu was stretching.

He approached the monk.  "I suppose slugging him in the face didn't work?" The Gorger looked at the beast's wounds.  There were as many cuts as there were bruises.  "Where exactly does one such as yourself draw such power?"

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2012, 09:34:29 AM »
The scene is a regretful one.  Wrynjolf turns and for a moment it seems like he may need to be destroyed.  Shani finally calms him, and the Nord shows incredible willpower and pushes the curse of the wolf away.  For the moment, at least.  Wu continues stretching.

The Gorger approaches as Wu is exhaling a calculated breath.  You can almost see the muscle in the monk's triceps stretching as he pulls his arm across his chest.

"I suppose slugging him in the face didn't work?" The Gorger says as he studies the werewolf pinned to the tree.  "Where exactly does one such as yourself draw such power?"

Wu releases his arm and and swings it in a circle before lowering it to his side.  With a grin he addresses the inquisitive Ghoul.

"I would prefer to not end up like our traveling companion Wrynjolf.  I submit that the best way to avoid the werewolf's bite is to keep its jaws at a distance."

His grin fades as Sun Wu steps closer to The Gorger. 

"Your body... enhanced as it is, is composed of muscle and bone.  My body," he places his hand on his own chest, "is also composed of muscle and bone.  When we wish to move, our body responds.  We will it into action and it heeds our command.  This much is instinct.  We do this without thinking. 

"When you fight, you will your muscles to provide force, and they react accordingly.  When I fight, I do the same. But I also do something else.  I grew up in a Monastery in the Akavashi lands.  There I was taught to master Chi.  Think of it as a physical manifestation of my own will.

"For example, I do not merely throw a punch.  Yes, my muscles move and propel my fist forward, but I also gather Chi to enhance my strike."

Wu rears back like he is going to throw a punch.  His body grows taught and his knuckles crack from balling his hand into a fist.

In a moment the intensity in his eyes breaks way to laughter.  Still chuckling he says, "Come, lets us make camp."

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #106 on: August 21, 2012, 04:56:22 AM »
Shortly after the priest began his spell, he could see the nord’s painful expression. It was clear that the infection had already begun to settle in, yet the priest still had hope and continued with the spell regardless. Much to his surprise, his concentration was broken and he was brushed aside by the female werewolf.

"We're too late...This isn't something I wanted to happen...To anyone. Nobody should have to deal with this." Said Shani and began to cry.

When Rau stood up, he could clearly see that Wrynjolf began to change. Shani was right, after all a priest cannot cure lycanthropy.

"Zoltan! Hold him!" Sir Walter‘s intervention was a timely one. Soon after it, the nord completely transformed and the fight for his humanity unfolded in front of everyone present. It was not a pleasant scene. Even so, Rau stood and watch with an unchanging expression. It was not due to lack of compassion or care, he merely knew that there was no way for him to help this man. No guild weighed down on his conscious, he had done what he could, yet when he saw Wrynjolf collapse embracing Shani, the priest could not help but feel the uneasiness rising inside him.

"We camp here for tonight. Everyone set up tents before I activate a barrier." Sir Walter’s words pulled Rau out of the heavy atmosphere.
The priest began to help with gathering wood for the fire and he could feel that tonight he would not be able to rest.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #107 on: August 25, 2012, 04:45:33 PM »
As the camp began to take shape, Sir Walter took out his tome and proceeded to utter holy words and ancient phrases. He began to walk a slow circle about the camp, waving his free hand away from the camp as holy runes appeared in the air where he did so. As he walked, a ring of light began to surround the camp, slowly building until, as Sir Walter made a full circle, the light shot up to form a dome, and shined like a sun, before fading out, leaving only a semi-visible barrier and the floating runes to mark where it was. From the outside, the camp appeared to disappear, leaving only the clearing and the empty forest.

A large fire pit was set up in the center of the camp, and Wrynjolf was placed beside it to rest. While Shani sat next to him, gazing into the fire, another man stood across the fire, watching the werewolves intently. Jarl Borin Halfskir, eighth at the table of the Jarls, leaned on his weapon, watching the two carefully. His massive double-headed battleaxe stuck itself into the ground like a fork, digging into the dirt and providing something to rest on. The Jarl seemed at ease if one were to judge by body language. But his eyes were steeled, and his gaze never left the werewolves. It was hard to read the man, his excessive beard blocking most of his face, and his countenance always seemed as stone. Whatever the man was thinking, none would know without reading his very mind.

The gorger set about feasting on the remains of the werewolves after he'd done his part to set up camp. Dragging a carcass to a fire, he bit deep into its flesh. Axle did the same, though with a bit more restraint, slicing off bits of werewolf to roast over a fire before eating.

The others took  part in more human meals, pulling out bread and salted meat, eating just enough to sate themselves and preserve their rations.

Sir Walter spoke with Hggranath over a fire as the two ate, the Nuckelavee eating salted pork, his reddened flesh creating a disturbing comparison, as Sir Walter partook of bread, the two holding a conversation that did not travel to the ears of the others, though it did not seem to be urgent.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #108 on: August 25, 2012, 06:25:41 PM »
Rau watched Sir Walter’s incantation from a distance. He had seen a similar ritual before, but it was completed by several seasoned priest. Yet this man did it on his own in an effortless manner. To the priest this spoke volumes of the man’s caliber.

With the camp set up, Rau had little to do to help clear his uneasiness. He decided to leave what happened with Wrynjolf in the back of his head and focus on something else that was bothering him. He had noticed, back at William’s castle, that everyone seemed to already know each other, with a few exceptions. The priest approached Seth, the elderly wizard.

“Good evening, I am sorry to disturb you, but I have some questions I want to run through you, if you don’t mind.” Rau began to speak directly as he was focused on what he wanted to know. ”I happen to find it curious that Sir Walter managed to gather such a skilled and diverse group of warriors, and even more curious is the fact that everyone seems acquainted with one another, makes me wonder if this is the first time they have gathered under his command. Can you tell me if they share a common history of sorts and how did Sir Walter come across such skilled individuals?”
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:04:38 PM by Radobe »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #109 on: August 27, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
The protection of Sir Walter's dome is was welcome.  Wu was looking forward to some peace as they camped for the night.

He found some provisions and ate them in silence.  His portion was measured and eaten quickly.  He drank deeply from the canteen tied to his pack.

After the quick meal Sun Wu lit his pipe and approached the fire.  He stood staring into the flames as plumes of smoke puffed out of his mouth.

"How does he fare?"  He asks of Wrynjolf.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2012, 08:01:42 AM »
Seth took a breath from his long, elegant pipe and chuckled, exhaling smoke and looking into the fire. His eyes seemed far away, and his smile told of fond memories he was looking back on. "You should know first that Sir Walter is the most charismatic man I've ever met. When he arrived at the feast of Tempus one year, injured and near death, he still managed to prove a charming, witty man with wisdom beyond his years before he passed out in the snow. Yet more impressive was when he came to. He singlehandedly, with a broken leg and leaning on a cane while most of him was wrapped in bandages, gathered me to his cause, put an end to a dispute that threatened to sour the whole meeting of the Jarls, and softened the icy heart of Helga Hammerstorm. He swept her off her feet so badly she couldn't think of how to keep her composure as a strong and mighty woman, so she reached over and punched the next Jarl in the face before turning and giving Walter quite possibly the most famous kiss in Nordic history, and I can tell you, Nordic women are known to be passionate lovers. I think she still has feelings for him, even to this day, though I don't know Sir Walter's thoughts on the matter."

"But enough of our leader, you want to know about the group he leads. Well, while this may be the first official march of the Black Crusade, Sir Walter's personal crusade has been going on for some time. I was the first man he recruited to his cause, and I watched as our group grew from a mighty tamer and a powerful wizard into the battalion you see today. The newest members of the group are you three--I refer to you, Sun Wu, and the Gorger, of course--and Jarl Halfksir, though the Jarl has been quiet the entire time. The rest of us have been working as a group for years. The last recruit before you four was-well it was our poor friend Wrynjolf, and shortly after Shani, I do believe, and that had to have been three years ago."

-------------------------------------

"He rests well." Shani replied to Sun Wu's question. "I can only hope he will be ok. The werewolf curse is not an easy one to live with. There is always a hunger inside of you, an urge to kill and tear anything that is not part of the pack. I can only hope he can identify our group as his pack, as I have. The beast inside will attempt to turn him on us, otherwise. It is a terrible thing to live with, internal bloodlust trying to force you to murder those you meet, even those you know."

Shani leaned over and brushed hair away from Wrynjolf's face, granting an unobscured view of his features.

"He is a strong man, however, and will likely pull through. I will try to help him as best I can."

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #111 on: September 04, 2012, 03:01:50 AM »
With a breath of satisfaction, The Gorger turned to Axl, "You know, it's times like this I wonder if I want to learn of my past at all.  I rather enjoy this!" With that, he tore the last remaining meat from the leg of a werewolf, and sighed happily.  The Gorger began to undo the bandages that held extraneous pieces of armor, performing small bits of cleaning and maintenance to ensure his next battle went well - even going so far as to replace some pieces with the bones of the werewolves he consumed.  The way he went about it showed a surprising amount of civility, and a great deal of experience as a traveled warrior, used to long periods of time in the wilderness.  Even so, the vast amounts of blood would take time to wash away.  He decided to kill some time with conversation.

"What of your past?  Did you find it a hindrance to your power, or a boon?"

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #112 on: September 07, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
"...There is always a hunger inside of you, an urge to kill and tear anything that is not part of the pack. I can only hope he can identify our group as his pack, as I have. The beast inside will attempt to turn him on us, otherwise. It is a terrible thing to live with, internal bloodlust trying to force you to murder those you meet, even those you know."

Sun Wu frowns at Shani's words.  He contemplates his thoughts for a moment, clearly struggling with something.  Finally he replies.

"There is a beast inside all of us."  He points to his heart.  "Humans may not be covered in fur and adorned with claws and fangs, but we still share the same needs and urges as an animal.  I have known men - Monks of my order - who were unable to control themselves when the beast in their hearts came calling."

Wu shakes his head.

"There are two sides of a warrior, that of body and that of mind.  Those who lost control were weak of mind.  Considering such, I do not fear for Wrynjolf.  He has already shown great willpower to push back the curse upon its introduction to his body.  And Sir Walter would not pick a man only half a warrior to join our group."

Wu glances at Jarl Halfksir on the other side of the fire.  "Is that not correct, Jarl?"

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2012, 02:16:12 AM »
Rau listens to Seth’s story and the more he learns about Sir Walter, the more his curiosity grows. It is hard to believe he came out of nowhere. A man with such skills would hardly remain unnoticed in our world. Despite all the information he was given, the priest couldn’t fail to see that a certain man wasn’t mentioned. A very important man, a man who is half the reason he even came to ask.

“Thank you very much for sharing your story. You are a skilled story teller friend, yet I can’t say your story covered what I wanted to hear.” Rau stops for a seconds and remember the spine chilling sensation back on the ship “As much as Sir Walter’s light shines brightly in your story, an even greater darkness looms behind. Since you were the first he recruited should I take it Alucard came along afterwards? Even though I am fully aware he is our ally, I cannot shake the feeling of uneasiness that his existence drives into me. Perhaps you may shed some light onto him, if I am not asking for too much.”

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #114 on: September 12, 2012, 12:47:41 PM »
Axel went quiet for a moment, looking down at his meal.

"To be honest, it's both." He said at length, taking another bite. "While my memories inhibit me, prevent me from unleashing the full potential of a feral ghoul, they also allow me to focus, give me direction. I am less driven by rage and more by a quest. A quest to uncover more of who I am, to learn of my life, and use this second chance to become an even greater man than I was before. It drives me to do the most that I can with what I have."

With that, Axel continued to eat, contemplating on the path before him.

----------------------
"Hmm. Perhaps. But I also know that even the greatest warriors can be broken by the beast..." Jarl Halfskir said, his gravelly voice finally breaking upon the air. "And that sometimes a mere fracture is all that is needed." He reached down and picked up a rock from the ground. It had been cracked in the fighting, and the Jarl crushed it in his hand, the crack spreading until the rock broke into pieces.

"A fault line is formed, and from there a chink in the armor can be exploited, until the whole thing comes crashing down. I'd say its best to watch Wrynjolf. We'll know if he is truly as iron-willed as you believe soon enough..And if he is not..Well..." The Jarl leaned on his axe, its edge glinting in the firelight.

Shani could not find the words to speak, so great was her anger. She rose to her feet, her hands visibly sharpening before she clenched them into fists.

"If you threaten Wrynjolf or anyone in this group again, I will personally tear you to shreds, do you hear me?!" Shani growled at the Jarl, who merely gave an arrogant smirk, looking down at the woman as though she were inferior.

"You're Norinskir, aren't you? Yes, I can tell you owe allegiance to Helga Hammerstorm. I can feel that fire in your eyes. You'll need it girl, for the tests to come." Jarl Halfskir said, his voice haughty.

The tension between the two was visibly mounting, and it may require a mediator before the two clashed.

-------------------------------------

"Ah yes....Alucard..." Seth said, looking deep into the fire. "Well....Alucard was less recruited and more.....Acquired." The wizard looked up at the sky, watching the flickering stars. "I suppose more an exposition is required. When Sir Walter rose to power in the Tamers' Society, he changed their views. Before hand the tamers had made their objective only to capture monsters and use them against other monsters. It was only with the advent of Sir Walter as a prodigy and Taming master that they began to see that monsters could be made to realize humanity and become true allies, even friends. Even today the stigma associated with being a monster hasn't worn off, even among the Tamers. But before all of this, there was Alucard.

For over a Century Alucard had been kept deep within the fortress of the Tamers, being fed the worst of society's criminals. Those who had been sentenced to death were thrown into Alucard's chamber and left to become his food. They had planned to use him, to make him the ultimate weapon against the monsters by making him the most powerful of all monsters. He had once been a mere man, a Vampire Hunter whose name is long lost to the ages, but upon his turning the Tamers saw opportunity. They chained him in his cage and had for a century and more been experimenting on him and feeding him, seeing how far they could push his power, until they had made him Alucard--The anti-Dracula. When they felt he was ready, they began to test to see who it could be that would tame him. Tamer after Tamer tried and failed, and many were consumed by the Vampire, until Sir Walter came. Nobody quite knows what, but something within Sir Walter of Gandrick awoke Alucard, and he recognized him as the master of the monster. Walter's mere presence made Alucard's blood boil, and he hungered for battle, to be commanded to kill and destroy by this man, this man who stood before him, asking nothing of him but companionship. Nobody had dared consider Alucard as a Companion before. Perhaps that modesty and humility is what drove the Vampire to serve him. None truly know, but that is the story of how such a powerful being came to be in the service of our Charismatic leader."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #115 on: September 12, 2012, 03:18:07 PM »
"Fractures can be very detrimental, given how small they begin.   And if left unchecked they can topple the largest of things.  You raise a very valid point, Jarl Halfskir."

The tension in the air is intense.  Wu has heard of the Nords' fiery tempers.  The emotion bursting forth from these individuals was quite different that the mild tempered Monks he was raised with.

"When a village builds a dam, they erect a great wall to block a river or stream.  But once the wall is built the job is not done, not hardly.  Constant observation and maintenance is required to ensure that the wall stays in place.  Each of us has a wall holding corruption and darkness at bay.  It requires constant maintenance just like the dam."

He glances down at Wrynjolf as he lay sleeping, blissfully unaware of the situation around him.

"Wrynjolf has a fracture in his wall, so to speak.  But luckily Shani is here to keep watch and help him repair it.  I do not disagree that if he loses control he will need to be dealt with.  But if he is going to conquer the curse of the werewolf he needs our assistance, not an axe hanging over his head."

Wu crosses his arms.  "Would you not want the same, if the situation was reversed?"

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #116 on: September 13, 2012, 01:23:12 AM »
Axel's words brought a familiar thought to The Gorger's mind, from only moments ago when he battled the werewolf.  To become a fearsome beast, or to retain one's mind; the allure of power along with instinct made the first the easiest option.  It seemed in the days to come - having chosen the path of the warrior to overcome the beast - The Gorger and Wrynjolf would have much in common, though with reasoning that slightly differed.

"The power that comes with unbridled remorselessness, or the focus that comes with sound mind..." The Gorger smirked, "Perhaps one can have both?" He coiled the cleaned chains around his pale limbs, the cold steel on his flesh giving him a nostalgic feeling from battles he had forgotten.  His tongue slithered across his jaw, the taste of werewolf blood still soaking his teeth, "I daresay I'll enjoy finding out."

The Gorger's thoughts organized, he tended to the rest of his armaments.  After all, it would be rude of him not to be properly groomed for his next feast.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #117 on: September 14, 2012, 02:30:31 AM »
“Modesty and humility, you say.” Rau stroked his beard as he considered the wizard’s words “Had I not met the man in person, I would have laughed at those words and call you a mad man! As unbelievable as it may sound, if there was someone who could have pulled it off it is him.” The priest let out a deep sigh, while stretching his arms. “Thank you for sharing his story with me. Now would be a good time to retire for a well-deserved rest. Perhaps we may talk more another time. Tonight I will pray, so that Lumos’ light may guide us in our time of need.” Rau bowed, showing his respect towards the old wizard, and left for his tent.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2012, 09:09:56 AM »
"Hmph. To tell you the truth, no. I'd rather someone put me down in honorable combat than risk becoming a feral werewolf. I don't envy those who live with the curse." Halfskir said, looking down at the sleeping Wrynjolf. He still seemed to think the two inferior in some way, but the tension was lessened, and the two said no more. Jarl Halfskir strode off to his tent to sleep while Shani laid down next to Wrynjolf to ensure his peaceful rest. Before Shani shut her eyes she looked up to the Monk and gave a hint of a smile. "Thank you, Sun Wu. I needed that." And with that she shut her eyes to sleep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Well. I suppose it's time to pack it in. Got no concept of when to sleep anymore, I need it so little." Axel said, standing and brushing his armor off. "Rest well, Gorger. Tomorrow seems like it's only gonna get worse."

The ghoul tossed what little was left of his werewolf meal into the fire, small scraps of fur burning and bones popping as they heated. He turned and strode off to his tent, where he would rest for the night.

---------------------------------------------------------

The wizard nodded as the priest strode off, and then his eyes turned to the sky. While the camp slowly went to sleep around him, he merely sat himself on the ground, brushed his gray beard out of his way, and pulled out a tome. flicking through the pages, he stopped until he had found a specific spell.

"Ah yes. I remember when Khelix taught me this spell. She was such a wise woman."

Tapping his staff on the ground next to him, a small circle of blue light surrounded him as he began to read from the book. As he spoke arcane utterances, tiny dots of light, almost like snow, began to fall from the sky. The arcane magic, harmful to no man or monster, slowly swirled around the camp until the wisps began to enter individual tents and absorb themselves into the bodies of those sleeping therein. Khelix's Welcome Respite was a spell intended to ensure that all who were under its effect would receive an abnormally good rest, emerging energized and fully recovered from any injuries they may have sustained the previous night. They would be plagued by no nightmares, but rather by restful thoughts and peaceful slumber. As all of the lights dissipated, Seth stood, and examined his work.

"Hmm. That's strange. When Khelix cast that spell to give an entire battalion rest, the lights burst over their intended targets and sprinkled down on them. Ah well, one wizard's fireball, another's fire blast."

With that, Seth waved his hand, and a door made of condensed light appeared in front of him. Opening it and stepping inside, he retreated into the spell known as the wizard's haven to rest for the night.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #119 on: September 24, 2012, 05:23:52 PM »
Wu nods back to Shani's statement of thanks and stares into the fire for a few moments.  A slight frown mars his features as he steps away from the fire's light.  The monks at the monastery would disapprove of him involving himself with such petty squabbles.  If he keeps sticking his nose so close to the fire he will be burned by it before long.

He finds his tent and steps inside.  Exhaustion sets in as he listens to his body.  His bedroll and pillow are very inviting following such a night.  After poking his head outside of the tent for one last look around the camp, he lies down and settles in until morning.