Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 5)  (Read 23152 times)

Offline Faidth

• Captain
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 5)
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2014, 07:44:51 PM »
@Fjorin:

For a time, your conflicting thoughts had cast a cloud of confusion upon your purpose. All you had known or thought to be true was inexplicably twisted in your mind. Catujel’s words are perceived less as deception, and more as irrefutable truths. Yet, when your thoughts seek out Honor, as much as your mind tries to tell you his death was not a noble sacrifice, but a foolish move, your heart rallies against this concept, decrying it a falsehood.

A thundering roar erupts from your throat, and Catujel’s eyes widen with fear and amazement. The chain shatters in your hands and you find yourself freed from whatever strange effect Catujel’s words had held over you. His silver tongue has ceased to wag, and his shock has deprived him of movement. For the moment at least, you have the advantage.

@Aeliana:

Recognizing Ravana as a formidable threat, you use your Sever spell upon her in an attempt to restrict her access to her powers. While this action does not sever her ability to use her arts, you have definitely managed to strike some kind of a blow. The construct stops in its tracks, and Ravana’s eyes widen in surprise. You see her gesticulating wildly in an attempt to regain control. She manages to make the machine move, but you can visibly see the amount of effort it is taking for her to force the machine forward.

Given an advantage due to the construct’s power having been significantly diminished due to its user’s lack of control, Dennan collides with the construct, his silver greataxe tearing massive chunks of metal from its mechanical legs. Sparks flash as the axe rains down a flurry of blows upon the behemoth.

@Sig:

The interventions of both your newly arrived ally and Dennan manage to buy you some time. You manage to regain your composure and begin to play Crescendo upon your lute. You can feel an invigorating sense of power affect your form, but suddenly your eyes fall upon Blood.

Your hands stop; your tune frozen in mid-note. Your heart nearly seizes in your chest at the sight of her. There are multiple wounds, rather severe wounds, upon her body. She no longer appears to be bleeding, but she is certainly bruised, battered, and much the worse for wear. She is being supported by an unfamiliar man with ebony hair and piercing blue eyes, and she leans heavily upon him, her face twisted in a grimace of pain as she attempts to move forward.

You see that the scar upon her forehead is unaffected; she has not been dealt a mortal blow, but you have never before seen her look so injured and vulnerable, and the sight has jarred you considerably. Whatever happened inside that building must have been quite incredible to have left the Captain in such a state.

Additionally, you see Blood’s companions also bear the signs of battle. You are left with a decision to make: do you continue your attack, or attempt to tend to the wounded with one of your healing abilities?

@Sembas:

Using your natural athletics, you manage to bat away the incoming knives. You count yourself quite lucky, because as one of them nicks shaft of your spear, you hear a strange sizzling sound, and catch a glimpse of some strange corrosion that mars the finish of your nearly perfect weapon. You shudder at the thought of what could have happened if one of those knives had found their way to your flesh.

Anlaf dives downward, releasing the lightning. Your plan was a complete success! Two of the Cowards instantly disappear from view, while the third stares at you with his mouth agape and fear in his eyes. You press forward, taking the offense against the stunned, Navar Coward.

He moves with incredible speed, doing all he can to stay out of melee range with you. As you come forward, his body twists backward in the air and over the bush he had used for cover just moments ago. He take off at a breakneck speed, attempting to put as much distance between himself and you as he can.

@Siron:

Whatever Fjorin did on his way through had triggered several traps, rendering them useless to harm you. You silently remind yourself to bring him a pint when you get back to Avalon. You follow Punisher’s directions to the living quarters. There is a large, open room with couches, a fireplace, and plush pillows. On a low table in the center of the room are half eaten pastries, joints of meat, and half-full bottles and tankards of wines and ales. Your thoughts drift to the angular cheekbones of Aeliana, her skin taut and her collarbones sticking out of her upper dress sharply. Apparently the Forsaken had lived quite comfortably while the poor woman and her guardian had been starved and mercilessly tortured just a few rooms down the hall.

You find that this room has four doors, two to the left, and two to the right. There is a small staircase, and at the top, you can glimpse a lush and luxurious four-poster bed with silk sheets and down-filled blankets. You correctly guess that was likely Fortuna’s room and you swiftly make your way up the stairs and into her quarters.

There are half-open scrolls upon the bed, and in the corner, a bookshelf nearly overburdened with tomes. You glance around the room until your eyes fall upon a chest in the corner of the room. Its dimensions and physical features match the description Punisher had given you, so you move forward to take the chest, conscious of Azazel’s warnings not to attempt to open it. 

As you near the chest, there is a sharp, rattling sound behind you.

“Hey! You! Over here! Get me out of here! It sounds like this place is about to collapse at any second!”

You turn in the direction of the voice and your gaze falls upon a cat locked in a cage in the corner of the room farthest from the door. You think it’s a cat at least. This is the first cat you’ve seen that is blue in color, and it appears somewhat larger than the average barn cat. Its yellow eyes have a strange glow as it gazes up at you pleadingly.

Its whiskers twitch. “Please! Hurry! Get me out of here! If you don’t help me, I’ll die in here! I heard Fortuna leave! I heard that blasted portal! I doubt she’ll be back anytime soon and I’m liable to starve to death in here!”

You move closer to get a better look. “Come on! Please!” The cat sniffs the air, its whiskers twitching. “Wait! You’re an Ageless? Well, I’m good friends with the Ageless! Even had tea with the General herself! I love the Ageless. Stand-up folk. Not like those nasty Forsaken types. In fact, was on an errand for good old Dethys when they picked me up and stuffed me in some sack like a common rat!"

The creatures senses your reluctance to trust him. "Cyan! Cyan’s my name! How about you let me out of here? Go ahead! It’s not a magical lock. No, if it was a magical lock I could get out! No… she didn’t need to do that… Humiliating.”

If cats are capable of frowning, that is the expression this creature has now. “Can’t touch iron directly, not without bursting into flames anyway. So what does she do? Sticks me in an iron cage! Puts me on this itty bitty slab of wood to sit on like some canary on a perch, and says if I step an inch off it, the iron will take care of me just fine! The nerve!”

"What do you say, good sir? Help out a poor sod in need?" The creatures tilts its head to the side, imploring your assistance. His golden eyes shine brightly, and you can't help but to smile at the good-natured creature. He's blue... he's fluffy... you hate to admit it, but he's stinking adorable.

His story sounds likely enough; if Fortuna had shown such cruelty to humans, imagine what she could do to a defenseless animal. But even as the thought enters your mind, you get the sense this creature isn't entirely helpless. In fact, if Fortuna left him alive, he must have some importance.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2014, 12:19:00 AM »
Watching her new found allies fight, it was nice to know that it appeared she were in capable company. Her vision catches one of them off to the right deflecting coward's knives with his spear and launching an assault of his own, meanwhile a gutteral roar echoes forth from another spot in the courtyward. It appeared as if one of her allies had defeated the attack on him and was getting ready to counter.

Now that she knew her companions had their own situations at least somewhat under control, she felt safer to put all of her power to nullifying the major magical threat in the area. Her muscles tense as she drew on further amounts of magical energy around her. A small scalpal like blade of magic had started the process, it was time to see that Ravanna no longer draw on her source of power.

Like a sledge hammer Aeliana sent a pulse of power at the Sever spell she had been maintaining. It slammed into the other, trying to force the energy between Ravanna and her own like a chisel between rock. Again, she threw another bolt of energy at the chisel. She could feel the crack there, it was time to split the flow of the other caster's magic. Again and again she sent pulse after pulse, each growing in strength until, with a small grunt of effort, she threw a bolt of energy to drive the sever home, throwing as much power as she could into it, so as to stop the threat in its tracks. [Intelligence - Spellcasting: Sever]

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2014, 07:10:02 PM »
Though Fjorin was free of Catujel's mind tricks, he had hardly regained his composure.  With a growl that hissed from between his teeth, both hands clenching the handle on his blade tightly, he lunges forward with all of his (STRENGTH - DAMAGE), intent on impaling Catujel through the chest in an attempt to both silence and immobilize the craven bastard with a single stroke.  Should he succeed, Fjorin would twist his blade, and briefly lift his foe before returning the sword's edge to the earth, pinning Catujel until the Northman is done with him.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 10:14:03 AM »
Siron rushes quickly through the way back. He takes notice of the triggered traps and is relieved that there is not a single trace of blood there. Following Punisher’s instructions, he continuous on his way to the living quarters. In there he is met by the lavish life style of the Forsaken, comparing it to the almost starved to death prisoners, it reinforces the already bad reputation of the servants of the Advesery.

Quickly and easily locating Fortuna's quarters, he enters carefully and takes a quick look around. Upon locating the chest the young knight approaches its location intent on retrieving it. A sudden noise startles the knight and in response he quickly turns towards the source, with a hand ready to draw his weapon he takes a poised to strike stance.

“Hey! You! Over here! Get me out of here! It sounds like this place is about to collapse at any second!”

A weird cat like creature is caged up at a corner in the room. Siron approaches and gets a closer look. Blue fur, slightly bigger than a normal cat and with yellow eyes. He does not know what this is, neither has he seen a creature like that nor has he heard of any of its kind. One thing was certain, it was no ordinary animal. He had to be careful in dealing with it.

The creature continues to plead for help and explains its situation and claims to have connection with the ageless. Though he had to admit there was a certain cuteness oozing off the creature, there was also the fact that everything that the Forsaken came in contact with so far, has been either used or killed. Not to mention that most of those things are extremely dangerous. Mistrust befalls the knight and he finds it hard to believe any of what Cyan is saying. On one hand he could leave him and be done with it, on the other if what the blue fur ball was saying is true, he would leave a would be ally to his death, which is unacceptable. A compromise had to be made one which would insure the creature would be safe and it won’t be given a chance to harm anyone.

Siron takes a short look at his bloodstained armor. Now it had stains from both, the captain and Honor. “I... have no thrust left to give.” He turns and goes to the bed. “Tell me, what were you doing for Dethys when they caught you?” Holding up the covers, he unsheathes Honor's sword and cuts two large pieces of fabric. “To be alive after being imprisoned by Fortuna means you know something or can do something for her.” He takes one of the pieces and pushes it in the cage. “Stand still and don’t do anything funny.” Grabbing the edges of the fabric through the gaps in the iron bars, he spreads it making a make shift floor from the fabric, so that the cat like creature can move around at least a little. Taking the second piece, he spreads it on top to cover Cyan as well.

“Until your words are proven, I will have to ask you to put up with this. I apologies but this is all I will offer you for now.”

Returning to the chest Siron picks it up and measure's its weight. Determining he can handle the weight with relative ease, he secures it on his left shoulder with one arm. After moving to the iron cage he crouches next to it, so that it is on his right side. Tilting the cage the knight puts his arm under it and presses it towards him. This traps the cage between the hand, armpit and his side.

“You have something you want to say before we go Cyan? This might turn into a bumpy ride.”
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 10:53:20 AM »
Sembas has always made sure to keep a full quiver of arrows at his back while in the field.  He uses them sparsely, making each shot count.  A while ago, Archer gifted him a quiver of enchanted arrows that always hit their mark.  He does not always carry the full 12, but there are always at least one or two of them with him at all times.

Today, he is carrying six of these enchanted arrows in his quiver.  His fingers grab the shaft of one of them and places the nock on his taut bowstring.  His shortbow bends as he pulls back the drawstring.  He has practiced this motion many times before, and he does it without thinking.

His thoughts are occupied by channeling the Leash Arrow spell.  As the spell comes to completion he lets the arrow fly.

Jonas Philosophy had one request for Sembas - to try and redeem any Forsaken he has the chance to.  As dangerous as Navar Coward is, Sembas cannot justify taking his life before at least speaking with the man. 

The Leash Arrow pierces the ground next to Navar, releasing its spell on him.  Sembas has another one of Archer's enchanted arrows drawn on his bowstring already, trained on Coward's back.

"Navar!"  He yells.  "Hold still!  The second arrow will not miss its mark, and it is aimed at your back."  He pauses for a breath to allow this to sink in.  Hopefully his leash has taken effect.  "While we are on two different sides of this struggle, I do not for wish your death.  If you are tired of hiding in the shadows of the Forsaken, I can help you walk in the light of the Divine."

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2014, 05:52:10 PM »
Sig is not one to turn down a good challenge as long as he's not sober, but he is elated when backup finally arrives. Going one on one with a spellcaster is not really the Chosen's strong suit. And with Ravana's attention mercifully turned elsewhere, Sig can now bring his most powerful ballads into play.

Or at least that was the plan. Once Sig sees Blood, the first few notes of his Crescendo die out with the sour sound of misplucked strings. For Blood to be in that condition...

...No. No time for speculation now. Sig is a fighter, like all of his Chosen brethren, but healing is his true calling. Sig focuses his efforts on the area of the most immediate need.

Sig focuses his mind on Blood as his fingers begin to fly across the strings. The song he plays is not a loud epic ode to combat, but a beautiful uplifting melody that would raise the spirits of anyone who heard it, if it did not sound muted to all but one. Blood is the only one who will hear this song at it's clearest and most beautiful. And as Sig continues to plar, Alviss lends his power directly to her, binding her wounds and restoring her energy. Should Sig's song reach it's conclusion, she should find herself healed of all but the most grievous wounds and ready to fight once more. (Wisdom-Spiritual Magic [MELODY OF LIFE])
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 05:54:43 PM by Starblade|MKIV »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2014, 10:38:03 PM »
@Sig:

Blood wearily raises her eyes to meet yours as the Melody of Life begins to take effect. The black-haired man supporting her and the slender, red-haired woman next to her are both deaf to the beautiful tune that only Blood can hear. She forces a smile of reassurance, to let you know that she’ll be alright. As the song continues its effect, Blood begins to straighten, and she is able to take a bit more of her own weight upon her feet. Her breathing is a little less labored, and her wounds, previously aided by Aeliana, are well on their way to healed with your additional assistance.

The black-haired man next to her places his hand on her shoulder to steady her, but after a moment, she gives him a silent nod to indicate she will be fine on her own. Her eyes fall upon the mechanical behemoth Dennan is laying waste to. The creature swings its arm forward at Ravana’s command, colliding with Dennan’s side. The mountainous son of the General roars and continues his relentless assault with his greataxe upon what serves as the construct’s legs.
Blood exchanges a look with the man beside her and motions to the machine. The man nods in understanding and takes his ebony axe into his hands. Both he and Blood start forward but they are interrupted by…

@Sembas:

Your arrow is infallible in its pursuit of Navar Coward. It lands exactly as intended. The Leash Arrow pierces the ground and Coward, caught by surprise, is firmly rooted to the spot.

As you call out to him, Coward’s eyes peer out from under his ebony hood. His eyes are narrowed, studying your face as if to determine if you are telling the truth. For a moment, he seems to consider your words, and a look of something resembling longing affects his features.

Nearby, Fjorin and Catujel are engaged in a battle of wits and war. Coward’s moment of clarity is dispelled with a shake of his head, as if he is rousing himself awake after a dream.

“I cannot walk in the light. The Divine has cast his shadow upon me, and it is my calling to embrace it.” Cowards smirks. “I was like you once. So full of hope… so… delusional. In time you will come to find that all that glitters is not gold.”

It seems as if Coward’s mind is set.

Until…

@Siron:

At your insistence to keep him confined, Cyan grumbles under his breath. “For all that is good and holy in this world. Divine! What fools these Ageless be! Ugh. Fine. If that’s the best you can do, I certainly prefer escaping this wreck and free meal in Avalon compared to the alternative.”

At your questioning of his purpose Cyan cocks his head to one side. “Well, wouldn’t be much of a secret mission if I went about blabbing it to every Childer Ageless who asked… but… if you must know, I am a Seeker.” Cyan puffs out his fluffy little chest with pride.

At your lack of recognition of the term Seeker, he sighs. “Fine. Let me spell it out for you… Dethys sends me out and about to look for things for him. To SEEK things, if you will. For example, track down the Childer after they’ve been ‘made.’ I was on the trail of a particularly important one when Fortuna’s goons got their mitts on me.”

“Anyway! It’s a prestigious office! Not any Cath-Palug is up to the task! And that’s not all I do mind you! I work reconnaissance! I take on dangerous missions not even meant for Immortalis! I can go places others can’t! I can catch mice! Of course Fortuna would keep me alive! At least until I was no longer useful to her.”

A strange gurgling sound emanates from the cage. “Alright then. Let’s be on our way. This cage is awfully stuffy. Haven’t stretched my legs in days! And did you hear my stomach?” He prods his fluffy belly with an outstretched paw. “You hear that? I think it’s eating itself!”

After some experimentation, you find that it is best to place his cage atop the chest in order to carry both out safely. You make your way towards the front entrance and out to area in front of the building. All around you your companions are engaged in battle with one form of foe or another. A glance towards the enormous hole in the ground reveals that Dennan is no longer at his post and is instead locked in battle with an enormous mechanical behemoth. Only Lai still guards the entrance your party used to reach the surface. You surmise that for the sake of Cyan and the chest, you should make your way in that direction.

However, a glance to your left displays a rather unpleasant, or perhaps given all you have endured today, an exceedingly pleasant sight. The action taking place not far from where you stand, will turn the tide of this battle…

@Fjorin:

Some distance to Siron’s left, Fjorin summons all of his strength to inflict a devastating amount of damage upon Catujel. He thrusts the sword forward, its point tearing through Catujel’s chest. The sound of bones shattering rings in Fjorin’s ears and point of the blade erupts from Catujel’s back, sending rivers of blood down the silver-tongued viper’s chest.

Across the battlefield, there is a deafening scream, and as you prepare to twist your blade and lift your cowardly foe into the air, you feel an incredible force slam into your body, crippling pain affecting your limbs. You stagger, your blade still plunged into Catujel’s chest, but your limbs suddenly weakened. Despite your sincerest motivations to urge them against your opponent, Catujel wrenches himself free and collapses to the ground at your feet, his hand pressed against his chest in an attempt to slow the bleeding.

You fall to your knees and are just barely able to turn your gaze in the direction of the scream. A raven-haired woman of incredible beauty cries out Catujel’s name, and comes barreling towards you.

@Aeliana:

Your Sever spell is proving quite an irritant for Ravana. She uses all of her arcane strength to propel the behemoth further. It raises its mechanical arm intent on smashing the general’s son, who narrowly avoids being crushed under its devastating blow.

Still, with all of your attention focused on isolating Ravana from her powers, you can see that she is having difficulty maintaining her control on the machine.  Ravana raises her hands in an attempt to unleash another attack on Dennan, but her motions have no affect on the machine, which now sputters and shakes instead of responding to her commands.

Suddenly the caster’s eyes widen and she lets out an earsplitting scream.

“Catujel!”

Too great is the emotion in her voice to be merely an outcry of concern for a falling companion. It teems with the gut-wrenching heartache of a lover’s heart breaking. It would seem that Catujel and Ravana are far more than simply comrades in arms.

You all feel an enormous rush of air, a strong and powerful current of wind that slams into the enormous warrior fighting nearby.

Without another look to any of you, Ravana takes off across the field at a breakneck speed to aid Catujel.

@All:

Ravana is a blur of motion. Lai lets out a banshee wail in an attempt to impede Ravana. The ground shakes beneath the feet of Fortuna’s pupil, but she does not slow in her course. She kneels beside Catujel, pulling him into his embrace.

“You monster!” She spits the words in Fjorin’s direction and her fists glow with a sickly green hue, she appears as if she is about to do something drastic, and the warrior of the Ebonmane is unable to defend himself.

Catujel, weak from his wounds, lifts his hand to caress her face. “No, my dear. He was a worthy foe. And besides… I wish the pleasure of exacting my own revenge upon him. Fear not… His blade missed its mark… but just.”

Ravana’s jaw is set, her eyes spewing fury. Around her, the air begins to waver and there is a deafening sound as if something is being ripped apart. Ravana helps Catujel to his feet, and behind Ravana, you see a black, jagged seam appear within the air.

“Ravana! A little help here!” Coward calls out to her.

Ravana sneers, ignoring his request. Her expression softens as she looks down at Catujel. She helps him to his feet and the two disappear through the tear in the world. With Ravana gone, Fjorin finds himself in control of his own movements again, his body aches as if he’s been hit by a boulder, but he can at least move again on his own accord. Across the battlefield, the construct collapses to the ground in a lifeless heap of twisted metal, its whirring cogs and mechanics screeching to a sudden and audible halt.

Coward sighs, his shoulders slumping. He calls out to Sembas. “On second thought… Might I take you up on that ‘walking in the light of the Divine offer?’”

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2014, 11:47:44 PM »
Throwing bolt of energy after bolt of energy at Ravanna seemed to almost be doing nothing. She growled aloud, uncharacteristically. She was so frustrated right now. First, Fortuna got away, then her apprentice was thwarting her every blow. Her apprentice! She felt like an apprentice again herself, which was not an easy thing to stomach.

Finally though, she did get a little satisfaction however, as her spell seemed to slide into place, disrupting her connection to the golem. She thought maybe they would be able to capture her. Preparing to unleash hell on Ravanna, she draws back her hands, energy building but...

An earsplitting screech peirces the air.

"CATUJEL!"

Aeliana barely supressed a flinch at the emotion in the voice, but her steely resolve stiffened her backbone. She did not release the spell in her hands right away, for, as she was unsure of what was going to happen. She had to be sure, she did not want to harm her companions. She glared as Ravana fled to Catujel, and watched as she knelt to embrace him.

As the apprentice glared up at fjorin, a sickening green glow forms around Ravanna's hand, she readies to pummel Ravana, but as quickly as if forms it disappears, apparently at a word from Catujel.

She does flinch as a deafoning noise rips through the air, a tear in what appeared to be the fabric of the world. She was making a portal elsewhere!

Aeliana cursed under her breath and quickly changed the spell she was going to cast. She now threw out a much simpler one. Her vision sought out any metal on Ravana in particular, but should she not have any on, Catujel would be her next target. With a small flick of her wrist, she unleased [Intelligence - Spellcasting: Seeking]. She wanted to at least be able to know where they would be.

As the portal closes, her gaze turns to Coward, and her gaze turns into a glare. One that could pin a man to a wall. She knew he was caught. Taking a few steps closer, dried blood flaking off the stiff dress, she did nothing yet but glare at the man. She had caused him a lot of pain as well.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 10:15:53 AM by Sepher »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2014, 02:13:48 AM »
The idea of Siron's brother getting away sickened Fjorin, and yet, Catujel's vengeful words very well may have saved him from finding out whatever sorcery the witch was gathering at her fingertips was.  His muscles ached horrendously as he gathered himself to his feet in an attempt to acquire the situation.  It was clear the Forsaken were in a state of retreat, but he had focused too vigorously on Catujel alone... in fact, the warrior didn't even know who it was who had so easily defeated him.

He looked on at the Ageless around him.  Though his stone face revealed nothing, he could not help but feel some degree of regret having thought so ill of the Ageless if even for a moment... and that there were parts of him that still questioned their motives.  Perhaps Catujel's silver tongue had done more than he knew.  Perhaps Fjorin was just a tool of another's war once again. 

By the valkyries, what had he done?  He had entirely lost his mind for a moment... he truly meant to kill Catujel, despite what he had told Siron.

Sir Siron.  Fjorin's head turned, his peripherals taking notice of Siron's form.  He looked at the knight briefly, and quickly averted his eyes to hide his shame.  Not only had he failed to capture Catujel... he had nearly killed the man.  In Fjorin's eyes, he had broken his words to Siron twice.

Thankfully, it seemed Fjorin and Siron were the only ones to watch a comrade die this day.  Captain Blood, Dennan, the falconer, the strange bard, and Lai... they were still well.  A sense of relief washed over him, though he was not sure why. 

And now, it seemed there were three more potential recruits among the Ageless.  While Fjorin's trust is thin at this point, he makes no objections.

Their objective secured, Fjorin walks toward the escape route where Lai awaits, his posture making him seem somewhat smaller than before.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 03:44:35 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2014, 03:23:24 PM »
Sembas has been aware of Ravana during his struggle with Navar.  It would be foolish not to.  But he is fully concentrated on Navar at the moment, not wanting the man to disappear once again.  Her scream causes him to flinch, nearly loosing his arrow.  He settles his nerve and his grip, not moving his eyes from Coward.  A mouse is relentless, after all.

“Ravana! A little help here!” Coward calls out to his supposed companion.  Finding no aid coming his way, the man slumps and quickly reconsiders Sembas's offer.

The falconer lowers his bow, relieving the tension on the string.  He does not remove the arrow as he stands and considers Navar.

"Forgive me for my caution, but I'm going to have to ask you to surrender your weapons.  It will be easier if you just set them on the ground in front of you there."

Sembas calls to the rest of the group, "Navar has yielded to us.  He is going to lay down his weapons.  Do not harm him unless he tries something."

A coward's words are one thing, his actions another.  Anlaf and Chico still watch him intently, prepared to shout if Navar goes back on his word. 

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2014, 02:38:12 PM »
Cyan states he is a seeker and upon seeing Siron’s confused expression, goes into a charade describing the position and its status. The creature mentions an odd word that seems to b what his kind is called. “Cath-Palug…,” says Siron out loud, nudging his brain for a memory of it. “Cath-Palug…,” he repeats, but this time to commit it to his memory.  He nods, more to himself rather than Cyan, confirming he has remembered the word.

“Then we shall be on our way,” states Siron after Cyan has finally stopped talking. The knight tosses one more look at the creature and breaths out a shallow sigh. “Upon confirming your words, I will offer you my apologies for both, the rough treatment and my lack of knowledge of you and your station.” He tries to compensate his actions and satisfy the creature’s apparent sense of self importance, just in case. Thinking on whether to or not to offer him some of the scarps of food that he saw earlier, he decides it would be a waste of time and instead continues on his way back.

Upon leaving through the shattered door, accredited to Captain Blood, he trails after Aelina and his other companions. He slows down when met with the chaos that is the battle field outside.

Sparing only a few moments to grasp the situation, he sees no fight that requires his immediate attention, apart from Dennan, but for that one he is unsure of whether he will be of help or just a hindrance. He also notes Catujel’s and Fjorin’s fight and intends to enter it as soon as the opportunity arises. For now the obvious choice is to priorities the safety of the Cath-Palug and deliver him safely to the gaping hole in the ground.  Taking a quick paced stride towards his destination, he is interrupted by a high pitched scream. A woman, after screaming his brother’s name, rushes towards Fjorin’s fight at a breath taking speed.  Judging that his time as a glorified golfer has to end now, he lets the chest on the ground and carefully places the cage next to it. Dashing at full speed, he unsheathes his two handed sword bent on impaling the black haired woman’s back. Before his blade has the chance to reach her, however, she and his brother leave through a teleport, which the sorceress conjured.

Though unfortunate, his brother’s escape is not something surprising.  Catujel was always the type prepared for anything, though this time around it seems the Ebonmane warrior broke through all that and faced the man head on. Seeing how the battle is over, he walks towards Fjorin. Knowing the disappointment and shame Fjorin might be feeling, he tries to ease the warrior.

“Worry not, one way or another, justice will be served. You did more than what I could have hoped for. Thank you friend.“ Though that is what he is saying, inside he is both furious and frustrated. His brother, Honor’s murder he got away! While he was running around… he quickly dispels those thoughts. Helping the captain and Miss Aelina is the priority, not exacting revenge. That is what matters most, even though his clenched fist might want to say otherwise.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2014, 07:26:36 PM »
Seeing that the combat is at least temporarily over, Sig seamlessly moves from the song he was playing for Blood into another, less subdued tune. This one can be heard by all of Sig's allies nearby. While the affect is not nearly as dramatic as Blood's healing from the first song, Sig's allies can feel strength returning to them and some of their more grievous wounds slowly closing. (Wisdom - Spiritual Magic [BLISSFUL HYMN])

Sig is lost in his music and will continue to play (and extend the effects) until he is interrupted.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2014, 05:18:09 PM »
Siron's praise was great, but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.  For a moment, he says nothing.   After some thought, Fjorin glances at the knight - his eyes filled with resolve.

"The promise still stands."

He turns away, and makes his way to the hole in silence, his stature returned.  It seemed even the hulking Ebonmane warrior was susceptible to kind words.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2014, 10:46:56 PM »
Aeliana's spell latched onto a silver and amethyst medallion on Ravana's person, but any hope of tracking their whereabouts is rendered useless after they passed through the portal. Wherever they went is nowhere in the mortal realm, or if it is, it must be heavily warded.

The dulcet sounds of Sig’s lute affects his allies, healing any remaining wounds party members may have suffered. In addition, should Sig will it, his tune will aid in further healing Punisher, who has recently joined with the Ageless.

Coward grumbles under his breath at Sembas’s request for him to surrender his weapons. He drops both of his daggers on the ground and sets himself to the arduous task of relieving himself of his arms. After nearly twenty minutes, the daggers have been joined by five vials of poison, a pouch of some kind of powder, five throwing daggers, a handful of shuriken, a bootknife, a small blowgun, a set of nunchaku, three different garrotes (rope, chain, and wire,) and a small, hand-mounted crossbow.

“There,” announces Coward. “Happy?”

Blood glowers at him. “All of it, Navar.”

“But that’s-”

Blood’s face reddens, her patience already very thin. “ALL OF IT, NAVAR.”

Coward rolls his eyes and reaches to his sides to reveal two more daggers. He glances back to Blood who frowns at him in reply. With a sigh, he reaches to his back and pulls a wakizashi and a tonto from two sheathes hidden beneath his shirt. Five more minutes, a set of tonfa, and three punch daggers later, Blood gives a silent nod, satisfied that Navar is finally disarmed.

“So what now?” asks Lai.

“Well, we can’t take them back to Avalon,” speaks Blood.

“Why?” questions Lai. “Wouldn’t it make sense to interrogate them? Torture them a bit? Judging from that poor woman over there, they’d certainly deserve it.”

“That is not the way of the Ageless,” comes Dennan’s rumbling reply.

“We don’t believe in taking prisoners,” adds Blood. “To bring a Forsaken into our hallowed city would be foolhardy. It would give them a foot in the door to wreak havoc and destruction in Avalon.” 

Lai shakes her head, uncomprehending. “Then what do we do with them? We can’t just let them walk away.”

“He has a choice to make,” speaks Dennan. “We will not force him to join our ranks. Either he repents of his crimes against the Divine and proves his words through his actions, or he may accept a challenge of single combat with me.”

Coward gulps. “Well, the Divine and I haven’t got on well in recent days, but I’m not about to exchange blows with the son of the Blood-Warden General. I suppose I can give the Holy Father another chance.”

“This is not a game, Coward,” speaks Blood warningly.

Coward raises his hands defensively. “Look, in all honesty, I’ve been looking for an excuse to leave the Forsaken anyway. I’m not saying I’m about to hug it out with the Divine just yet, but I’m willing to give him another chance… on a trial basis of course.”

“Fine, Navar. But you follow my every order. You step out of line even once and I’ll run you through in a heartbeat.” Blood turns her attention back to the party. “We came to do a mission, and it is one we need to see through. However, Miss Ebraldi is in no state to go to the Marrow at this point. In addition, Askall is injured and the Crimson Wolves need to make their way back to Avalon. We only have one scroll. Once we use it up, we have no way back, so the way I see it, we split up. We send a small party to Avalon, and the rest of us continue on.”

“Well, I vote we go back to Avalon,” comes a small voice.

Blood whirls around to face Siron, her eyes drifting to the cage in his hand. Recognition passes over her face at the sound of the Cath-Palug's voice. She moves forward, and peers into the cage. “Cyan?”

“Milady.” With glowing yellow eyes, Cyan looks up at Siron. “See? I am who I say I am. Can I get out of here now?”

Blood examines the cage. “Iron, huh?”

Cyan sighs. “Well, obviously! If it had been anything but iron I would have been out of here days ago!”

“And what of the mission you were on for Dethys?” questions Blood.

Cyan shakes his head. “No luck, boss lady. I’ve got some other leads. Been a rough go, though. Wouldn’t mind some fresh salmon and a nice comfy pillow for a couple of days before I set out again.”

“Fair enough,” agrees Blood. Her hand goes to the lock upon the cage. She grips it between her fingers and twists, then pulls it free from the door of the cage. She opens the door looking at Cyan expectantly. He readies himself to jump but glances up at Blood pleadingly.

“Come on, friend. I’m an excellent jumper, but I’d had to miss my mark and end up a pile of ash,” begs Cyan.

“Hmm… Are you sure it’s fear of the iron and not the knowledge you must compensate for the extra mice you’ve eaten?” She pokes him in his fluffy belly.

Back in the confines of Sembas’s pocket, Chico squeaks.

Blood relents, reaching into the cage and carefully maneuvering Cyan from within. She places him upon the ground where he gingerly begins to lick his paws.

Blood straightens herself. “Sembas, you had the option to kill Coward, but you allowed him to survive. The time for his execution has past. He is your responsibility now."

Blood continues. "The Crimson Wolves, Cyan, Aeliana, Sig, and Siron will make their way back to Avalon. Sending them to Avalon will use up our only scroll. We’ll need a powerful mage to get us back to the gates. Dethys is… indisposed, and Serenity is Divine knows where. Cleo can’t leave the gates…”

Blood ponders for a moment. “As much as I hate to have that kook along…” Blood sighs. “Siron, you must go to Dethys and ask him to send Hermit. His brain is half-addled, and to be quite honest I can’t stand that blasted codger... I doubt he can wipe his own ass, but he's a talented mage. Unfortunately, he’s the best we’ve got at present. He knows how to Travel and will be able to get us from the Marrow to Cleo."

Blood turns her gaze to Sig. "Hobgoblin... I need you to go to the General. Tell her of the construct we encountered here and all that has transpired upon this Hill. Tell her Coward and Punisher have joined us, at least temporarily." Blood turns to the rest of you. "The rest of us, Coward and Punisher included, will continue on.”

Dennan uses his command over the earth to bring the Crimson Wolves to the surface. Blood embraces her son, holding him tightly for several moments before tenderly kissing him upon the forehead.

Vartan presses his face into Blood's shoulder. "Please be careful, Mother."

"I'll be home before you know it, my dear."

Blood turns her attention to the scroll in her hands. Her brow furrows as she reads over the words written in Dethys's messy scrawl. "How he expects anyone to be able to read this garbage..." After a few tries, she is able to discern the words written on the scroll and begins to speak in a long forgotten language. A mass of swirling, golden light forms a portal in front of the party, a portal which will allow the designated party members to pass through to the Gates.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 07:43:47 AM by Faidth »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2014, 12:36:55 AM »
Sig frowns at Blood's request. Not because she called him Hobgoblin again, but because the idea of returning to Avalon now, with more combat to be had, and without Blood herself, was distressing.

"Now lass, I'm not one to normally second guess an order, but ya know I'm much more useful here with you than back through there playing messenger. I'm not even very fast. Stubby legs and all that. I'm thinkin that you're makin a mistake by sendin me away now. The Father's healin has already proved itself useful, and I get the feelin that it might be needed again."

Sig does his best to look defiant. He knows damn well that if she asks him to leave again, he'll have no choice but to respect her decision. But that doesn't mean he's not going to try and plead his case.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2014, 09:37:14 AM »
She blinked as she watched coward disarm himself over the next twenty five minutes. That was quite an impressive array of armaments for any one person to be carrying on their body.

Suddenly something in the conversation caught her attention.

“Wouldn’t it make sense to interrogate them? Torture them a bit? Judging from that poor woman over there, they’d certainly deserve it.”

She directed a glare at Lai.

"That would make us the same as they. I do not think that would be wise"

She kept her gaze on Lai for a moment but allowed it to return to the others as they conversed.

“We came to do a mission, and it is one we need to see through. However, Miss Ebraldi is in no state to go to the Marrow at this point. In addition, Askall is injured and the Crimson Wolves need to make their way back to Avalon. We only have one scroll. Once we use it up, we have no way back, so the way I see it, we split up. We send a small party to Avalon, and the rest of us continue on.”

The marrow?. They were going there?  Thoughts ran through her head. She had gave her word to Azazel that should they get the chance, that she would assist in freeing his family. Blood was right too, though, she was in no condition to do much. She growled lightly under her breath, and took Azazel by the sleeve to pull him to one side to have a private conversation.

She glanced at Cyan as she moved, wondering what sort of creature it was, but figured if it was going to Avalon with her, she would be able to study it at another time. She turned to face Azazel as they had moved far enough away.

"I am imagining that you just heard what I heard" She said quietly "That their mission is in the Marrow. I gave you my word that I would assist you in seeing that your family got freed. Because you helped me escape and joined us, you now have the opportunity to see them free. Blood is right, however, I am in no shape to go with." She frowned, it was obvious that she wanted to go with, but she had no right to put herself in danger without good cause after these people had lost someone trying to rescue her.

"You have a chance for many things now, Azazel. I want you to come back and talk with me when this is done.  I have a feeling that you were a good man, and you have proved yourself to be when you turned on Fortuna, someone who could have killed us both easily, to help me escape... I only wish you would have come to your senses sooner..." Tear glittered in her eyes, but did not fall. She would not cry again, not here, in front of everyone.

"Stay alive Azazel, and come back. I wish to talk with you"

She held up a hand in front of him, and magical energy formed softly around it. She closed her hand and the energy puffed away into small traces, like whisps of smoke, that sought out any metal on Azazel's form.  Intelligence [Spellcasting] - Seeking

She let out a breath, nodded to him and slipped past him, to address the group gathered there.

"I want to thank you all. I know that that cannot bring back those who have paid the ultimate price for your mission today, but you all have my utmost appreciation, and I will forever remember those who have aided and those who have fallen for me today. Know that if you need help or anything of the sort, seek me out and I will do what I can for you." [Charisma - Leadership] She looked to each of those in turn, whether they turned to face her or not.

With that, she moved over to blood, stopping in front of the woman, looking her in the face

"I have no right to place myself in such danger after you all have sacrificed much to see me free. I do thank you from all of my heart. I worry what Fortuna was going to do to me. Someday, I will find her and I will see her pay for everything she has done" There was a resolution in her voice.

"I will accept going back to Avalon without argument, however, I have a request. Azazel was doing what he was doing because Fortuna trapped some of his family's souls in the Marrow. I ask that if there is an opportunity, that you free them if you can." She lowered her voice "I know this is much to ask, but I do believe that despite what he was forced to do, he is a good man."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2014, 03:40:45 PM »
After Coward disarms himself, Sembas returns his bow and arrow to his back and begins to approach the man.

He stops in his tracks as Blood demands all of his weapons, and Navar produces even more weapons from his person.

Once again, Sembas steps forward.  Only to halt from Blood's shout.

He waits until Blood finally gives a nod before attempting to approach again.  He casually walks toward Navar, listening to the conversation about what to do with him. 

Blood straightens herself after dealing with some sort of cat. “Sembas, you had the option to kill Coward, but you allowed him to survive. The time for his execution has past. He is your responsibility now."

Sembas looks at Navar, studying him for a moment.  He finally speaks.  "I rely on my sight."  He glances at Anlaf, still flying in lazy circles above.  "Falcons have very good vision, after all.  But I found myself lacking against an opponent that cannot be seen or tracked.  If it wasn't for Chico here, I probably would not have stood a chance.  You have my respect."  He offers his hand for a handshake.

"Will it be dangerous where we are headed?"  Sembas asks to the group as he waits for Coward's response to his hand.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 01:27:24 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2014, 04:46:05 AM »
Siron nods, he could see that the Ebonmane warrior means to remain true to his word. The only thing he would be afraid of would be that after the news of Honor’s death reaches Avalon, if it hasn’t already, there will be a lot of competition aiming for his brother’s head.  The knight himself included of course.  There was no point to think of his brother and his heinous actions right now. Most likely he was out of anyone’s reach and into the embrace of the sorceress that aided him in his escape. 
The majority of the next half an hour is occupied by Navar Coward, who is in the process of disarming himself, a task that appears to be taking him an astounding amount of time. Never the less, with the assistance of the captain the task is finally completed.

Navar’s joining of the ranks of the ageless, which follows after a short debate, looks like conscription. With the choices being join us or face the truly immortal son of the general. Though he would wish to argue of the fairness of this, the very fact the Ageless give their enemy the option to live comes with a great risk to them. It would seem the decision is a gamble for either of the two sides, no matter which way it goes.

“Well, I vote we go back to Avalon,”

Siron is a bit startled hearing Cyan’s voice. He had almost forgotten he was carrying the cat like creature.

“Cyan?”

“Milady. See? I am who I say I am. Can I get out of here now?”

“My apologies,” the knight leaves the cage on the ground and the captain assists the creature and helps it get out of it.

"The Crimson Wolves, Cyan, Aeliana, Sig, and Siron will make their way back to Avalon... The rest of us, Coward and Punisher included, will continue on.”

The captain’s orders are clear. Siron had no words to say. Right now there was no order, he would question. Trying not to think of what has happened he simply stands and waits. Any thoughts about Honor would simply stir him up right now.  As soon as the portal was opened, he was first in line to jump in.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2014, 12:01:44 PM »
@Sig:

“This matter is not up for debate, Sig.” Blood’s tone is firm, yet her eyes betray her. She’s hiding something, though what, you don’t have the slightest clue. “When that portal opens, you’re going through it. As a Chosen of Alviss, you are our best bet of figuring out what these constructs are and how to ensure the Forsaken have no access to make any more of them. The library in Avalon may have information. For now, take this.”

Blood crosses to the construct and plunges her hand into the center of the rubble. She fishes around in the parts for some time before her hand emerges with a large, round, red stone. The stone glows with a life of its own, and you immediately recognize it: it’s an Arkenstone.

At once, you are both horrified and transfixed. It is said that Alviss forms his children from the living rock, and where a mortal’s heart would be held, it is in its place that every Chosen of Alviss has an Arkenstone. When Alviss breathes life into his children, the stone softens, and forms the resilient hearts of the Chosen of Alviss, and when a Chosen dies and is returned to the living rock, the Arkenstone once again becomes a magnificent jewel of immense power. The Arkenstones are recycled to form new Chosen of Alviss.

Your amazement turns to rage. How would the Forsaken have access to an Arkenstone? No one outside of the hallowed halls of the All-father would even have knowledge of the Arkenstones. It is a secret coveted by the children of the Great Creator. No mortal or Immortalis has ever been welcomed into the halls of Alviss. That means this stone was either stolen somehow, or smuggled out by one of Alviss’s own children and into the waiting hands of a Forsaken. More horrifying than anything else is the fact that it was obviously this stone that was powering the construct.

What will this mean for the growing relationship between the Ageless and the previously self-isolated race of the Chosen of Alviss? Was that not why you were sent to Avalon in the first place? To help in relations between the Ageless and the Chosen of Alviss? When your brethren learn of this slight, surely they will cease all diplomacy between the outside world and themselves.

Blood places the Arkenstone in your waiting hands. “Take this back to Avalon. Take it directly to General Fury.”

@Aeliana:

At Aeliana’s request, Blood stiffens. It’s obvious she isn’t thrilled by the prospect of having these recently reprieved Forsaken with her in the first place.
Blood sighs. “We will do as you request, but only once our own mission is complete. In fact, by accomplishing our task, it may be that it will fulfill Punisher’s desire to free his family.”

Punisher’s eyes narrow. “What do you mean, Captain?”

Blood is silent, and Punisher’s eyes widen.

“You’re going to break the Confinement Spell, aren’t you? You’re going to free all the spirits from the Marrow!”

“For a very limited time. If the spirits are willing to cooperate and help us to cleanse the fields, the Ageless will consider granting freedom to all of the spirits of the Marrow.”

“That is… hilarious.” Coward chuckles and receives a sharp look from Blood. “Come on, Blood!”

Blood closes the gap between herself and Coward. “That’s Captain Blood to you… Coward…” She pokes him in the chest with her index finger. “And I’ll thank you to remember it.”

“Coward.” The assassin shakes his head. “Who would think self-preservation would result in such an epithet. I wasn’t always called such. Do you even remember my true name, Blood? That which was gifted to me by the Archon on behalf of the Divine?”

“You gave up your rights to that name a long time ago,” sneers Blood.

“You know that if you release all of the spirits, you release both the good and the bad. Do you honestly think those souls who have been so twisted and corrupted by the creature of the Marrow will be able to coexist with mortals? You don’t think they will just return to their previous ways of ensnaring the innocent and forcing them to join them in their curse of eternity?”

“We must at least give them the chance. I’m sure Punisher will attest that there are those within the Marrow who are worth saving,” speaks Blood.
Punisher gives a silent nod of agreement.

“We shall observe their actions and demeanors when their confinement is dispelled, and should they be worthy to rejoin the world, so be it. Yet, if they show the capacity to harm others, if they attempt to work their wickedness on any of us, the Confinement will remain in place,” explains Blood.

Coward shrugs. “Your funeral.”

@Sembas:

As Sembas extends his hand to Navar Coward, the assassin shows some reluctance, examining Sembas’s face carefully, and glancing down at the hand he has offered to him.

“Respect? Huh… Well, that’s something I haven’t heard in a long time.” His features soften and he accepts Sembas’s gesture.

“Dangerous is an understatement, Sembas,” comes Blood’s reply. “We’ve already lost two people, one of whom was a veteran in our ranks, and the other a friend of yours. We’ve already down two of our own and we haven’t even reached the Marrow. Something ancient that defies description lurks in the Marrow, and it is that creature who serves as its ruler. It is that creature who was responsible for collecting the souls here, and in many cases, contorting them, and twisting them beyond repair. Let us hope we can hide from its gaze, and that it does not make an appearance during our time here. You must be on your guard at all times.”

In Sembas’s pocket, Chico shivers, and perched upon the falconer’s shoulder, even Anlaf’s normally steely gaze falters slightly.

@All:

Blood takes up the scrolls and begins to mutter strange words under her breath, words from a long-forgotten language. Aeliana, from her studies, recognizes it as being the language of the Divine himself. While she cannot translate what is being said, she knows the words are a well-kept secret of the Immortalis, and only the most senior or well-regarded in rank know the words of the Divine.

Slowly, a swirling mass of energy takes form, and when the portal has reached its full strength, Blood announces that it is safe to cross through.
“Siron, hold fast to Cyan,” instructs Blood.

Meanwhile, the blue feline leaps into Siron’s hands and nestles against the knight’s chest. “Seriously, don’t let go of me. I don’t want to be ripped apart by the portal. It wouldn’t be a good look for me,” says Cyan.

Siron and Cyan are the first through the portal, followed by the majority of the Crimson Wolves. Vartan crosses to Aeliana and wraps his arms around her protectively as this is her first time through a portal.

“Just hold tight to me, milady. It is unlike anything you’ve felt before, as if your body is being pulled in all directions. Everyone tends to get a little nauseous their first time through, but it will pass quickly.” Vartan assures her. Vartan glances at his mother one last time before assisting Aeliana through the portal.

Last to cross to the portal is a very reluctant Sig. The Arkenstone rests in his hands. It gives off a brilliant crimson light, and is warm to the touch. There is an almost unperceivable low hum emanating from it, and the sound brings some comfort to Sig, yet at the same time, he is uneasy holding something so important in his hands. He still can’t believe an Arkenstone could be found here, far away from the sacred Halls of the All-father.

Blood puts her hand on his shoulder. “I know you don’t want to go, but you know as well as I, this Arkenstone cannot remain in the Marrow. Until you can return it to your people, Avalon is the safest place for it, and I would not trust anyone to bear it to safe haven other than a Chosen of Alviss. Take it to the General, and I assure you she will personally see to its safety until it can be returned to your All-father.”

Blood gently pushes the hair from Sig’s forehead, and places a kiss upon his brow. “Go now, hobgoblin… Before I change my mind.” Blood turns away from him, and Sig gets the sense that it is with great reluctance she watches him depart to Avalon while she must remain with the others in the cursed Marrow.

(From henceforth, until the party is reunited, the group returning to Avalon will be referred to as the Avalon Party, and the group that is remaining will be referred to as the Marrow Party.)

Avalon Party:

For those of you who have crossed through the portals before, you are gradually becoming accustomed to this strange mode of transport, but for Aeliana, she finds the experience is exactly as Vartan described. As she passes into the portal, she feels like every fiber of her being is being tugged upon in a million different directions, and she is thankful for the protective arms of the grizzled warrior who keeps her on her course to the gates.

When you emerge in the Seer’s abode, now in the form of a cabin rather than a tent, Aeliana finds herself struggling to steady herself, but Vartan patiently props her up as she slowly regains her balance. She feels as if the entire room is spinning, but eventually it all slows to a halt as her eyes focus on the state of the cabin.

You all notice that it looks as if an extreme force of nature has devastated everything within. There are large holes in the wooden walls that allow light from the outside to stream in. The furnishings are knocked over and there are shards of broken ceramic plates and cups scattered throughout the room. Books, their innards spilling out in piles of ripped pages, lay strewn about, and in the midst of this chaos stands the Seer, whose stares back at you with a broken expression upon her face. For those of you who have met Cleo before, you know she has always been a bit odd, but to see her in such a state is unsettling, then you remember what she has lost. Her lover, Fenwick, has disappeared without a trace, and perhaps she, as the Seer, is the only one who knows where he has gone.

“You’re here for the gates,” mutters Cleo. “The gates, the gates, the gates. I will open the gates. I will open them. I will open the gates.” She is rambling and half-mad, and you get the feeling that perhaps no one in Avalon knows she is in such a state, otherwise someone would surely be here with her. Siron makes a mental note to alert the Keeper of the gates to what has transpired here.

Vartan crosses the room and places his hands on Cleo’s shoulders. “Miss… I know you are obviously upset about something, and I promise to send you relief as soon as we return to Avalon.”

Cleo’s eyes suddenly focus, and a small smile crosses her face. “Little Vartan. Baby Vartan Crozier. Have you escaped from your mommy again? Does she know you are visiting here? Does she know you long to see the world outside of Avalon? She worries for you. She doesn’t want you to be lost to her… Like your father, little Vartan. She could not bear to see her little boy die as his father died. But that is the way of mortals. They die. They all die. And Ageless, too. I wonder if Wicky will die in Darastae. He is with the Forsaken now while I am stuck here, mourning over his departure. Why Wicky? What need of him would Severan the Deceiver have? Will he die like your daddy, little Vartan? Eventually we must all die. But you have time yet, little Vartan. I know. I have seen it. You shall not be taken so easily.” 

The Seer is obviously unhinged over Fenwick’s disappearance, and you are all taken aback when you begin to put together what really happened to Fenwick. He was taken by the Forsaken, just as you had thought; the Seer’s words confirm so much.

Her eyes glaze over and her pupils and irises are engulfed in white, she turns her face towards Siron. “Blood, blood, blood. There is blood upon your hands. Where has Honor gone, Siron Entrima? You carry his gift for the lovely Muse, his one and true beloved, as he was hers. There is blood upon your hands, Siron. Blood, blood, blood.”

“And… and you…” Cleo crosses to Aeliana, and the recently turned Immortal is unnerved by the milky whiteness of the Seer’s eyes. All of Aeliana’s research suggests that those few who are gifted with the second sight have their eyes so affected when they prophesy, but so rare is the gift that Aeliana has never seen it in person.

Cleo cups Aeliana’s hands in her own. “The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar… Welcome, Scholar. Shall you be as the book suggests? Will you be so learned in the ways of immortals and men alike that you shall teach the Dying Ones how to slay the Immortalis? Will it turn the tide in our favor? Or will the Dying Ones betray us? The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar. The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar. The third of the Archmage Trinity will arrive in Avalon, and together they will change the tide of the battle. The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar.”

Cleo presses her hands to her ears. “The humming, the humming, the music of the stones. That which the All-father Alviss covets all alone. An Arkenstone in the world of men, old Alviss won’t be pleased…” Her vacant eyes move to Sig. “To Avalon, the last bastion of hope. Take the stone and give it to the Bane of the Forsaken Horde, the Blood-Warden General. To the cathedral it must be taken, for Alviss will not forgive this slight. Only the Divine may make peace with the All-Father. And as you know, Sigurd Glorrack, they aren’t exactly on speaking terms these days.” She winks conspiratorially, the gesture bizarre in light of her milky white eyes. 

Cleo’s head rears back, and when it snaps forward again, her eyes have returned to normal. She gazes about the room in confusion. “Oh… Hello. I take it you must return to Avalon. Let me open the gates for you.” Her voice is completely different, calm and composed, as if the last several minutes never occurred. Without another word, Cleo moves to the center of the room and summons a glowing, purple mass of energy to form the portal to Avalon.

One by one you enter the portal, and again, Vartan helps to guide Aeliana through, though she feels much stronger this time. There is a searing light and when you emerge on the other side, the gilded gates of Avalon stand before you, and in front of them stands Aloysius Keeper, Guardian of the Gates, to grant you entrance into Avalon.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: April 22, 2014, 08:21:42 AM »
She puts her hand on bloods arm and nods her silent thanks to her agreeing to look into punisher's family. She turns to move to join the group going to Avalon, the dried blood flaking off the dress she wore. As she passed Punisher she met his eyes, her own face just a little sad that she couldn't personally go with to see this done. She looked away and moved to join the group.

As blood pulled out a scroll and began reading from it, Aeliana's head cocked slightly as she listened. She recognized the language of the divine. She had not been able to translate it, but it was still fascinating to hear it spoke. She watches intently as the portal sprang up before them. Her eyes flit to Vartan as he approaches her. She tenses, muscles rigid as he puts his arms around her.

“Just hold tight to me, milady. It is unlike anything you’ve felt before, as if your body is being pulled in all directions. Everyone tends to get a little nauseous their first time through, but it will pass quickly.”

After a moment, she relaxed and began to wonder what sort of experience this might be. She had gone through her own small portals before, but this might somehow be different than that.

"Okay, thank you. Let's be off then" She said, with what sounded like anticipation in her voice. She moved with Vartan through the portal. She quickly finds herself feeling like she is being pulled in every direction, and finds herself thankful that Vartan is there to help her stabilize herself upon going through. She grips Vartan's arm to steady herself as they exited the portal and slowly the sight before her slid back into focus.

Aeliana frowned as she took in the state of the home. This looked like someone had unleashed a very destructive spell in here. She cast a small spell silently. [Intelligence - Spell-casting (Read Residue)] She looked around to see what may have happened here, and her eyes settles on Cleo, the Seer. The corners of her mouth turn down slightly as she sees the state the woman is in. Vartan moves forward to comfort her and Aeliana listens as the woman speaks.

“And… and you…” Cleo crosses to Aeliana and cups Aeliana’s hands in her own. “The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar… Welcome, Scholar. Shall you be as the book suggests? Will you be so learned in the ways of immortals and men alike that you shall teach the Dying Ones how to slay the Immortalis? Will it turn the tide in our favor? Or will the Dying Ones betray us? The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar. The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar. The third of the Archmage Trinity will arrive in Avalon, and together they will change the tide of the battle. The Seer, the Scribe, and the Scholar.”

Aeliana was a bit unnerved, though her face did not show it, looking at the milky whiteness of the Seer's eyes. Her research suggested that those who are gifted with the second have this happen to their eyes when they give prophesy, but she had never seen it before. She squeezes Cleo's hands back, and makes a mental note of every word she is speaking. This might be very important. And Her, The Scholar? One of the Archmage trinity? She had never expected something like this.

She continued to listen and make note of Cleo's words as she moved on. As Cleo's eyes refocused, she spoke as she formed a glowing mass of energy to form a portal.

“Oh… Hello. I take it you must return to Avalon. Let me open the gates for you.”

She smiled to Cleo as she passed and spoke

"I would talk with you again soon, Seer" She said in a calm, confidence voice, nodding before she entered the portal with Vartan's assistance. Though he helped her once again, she already began to feel more accustomed to this mode of travel. Her mind wandered to the state of Cleo's house, but the woman herself had not seemed particularly alarmed.

Before her, as she stepped from the portal, were the fabled gates of Avalon.