Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: MH:The Secret Flight of the Vilya - PART 1: A Troublesome Crew OOC Thread.  (Read 37732 times)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant

The picture above is of a British world war 1 plane known as the Breguet Br M5.  It is rear prop driven.   It's an early reconnaissance plane where the gunner would take pictures of enemy fortifications and troop movements.    This is similar to what I have in mind for the Sparrows.   

The difference being that the rear cockpit would be the engine deck(boiler, compressor, and exhaust) and the front part where the turret machine gun is mounted would be a static front mounted cylinder gun which would require maneuvering the plane to fire from that point. In Misthaven planes can't fire through the propellers like the later world war 1 or 2 planes can, instead having to be mounted on the upper wings(decreasing accuracy) or mounted in front of a propeller.  The cockpit would be mounted far forward to give better visibility as the upper and lower wings would remove a lot.  The goal for a Sparrow really isn't to be an air superiority dogfight aircraft it's to be more of early warning aircraft and scout.  They still can be deadly though as accuracy goes up with the added visibility and they are fast moving from being light, but cannot maneuver as sharply as newer sturdier designs.

The plane is constructed predominantly of wood and the wings are made of sturdy canvas much like sails.  It is a bi-plane which in Misthaven are usually referred to as Twin-sails or a Double Deck design.  Wire is strung to add light reinforcement to the frame.  A latticework of wood and steel hold the aeroplane together.

The engine is steam driven.  The motor works similar to a locomotive in that it is propelled by compressed steam.  Heat is created in the furnace which stimulates the boiler creating steam which is pumped into a compression tank where the pressure builds up.  Releasing the throttle opens the valve which turns the turbine of the propeller.   If the fire needs to burn the hottest prior to lift off and an amount of pressure is required before the propeller will turn fast enough to lift the ship off.  Excess pressure builds up and needs to be released using a blow off otherwise the boiler will explode scalding to death anyone within a couple meters of the engine.

The cockpit consists of a meager pilots seat and a short glass wind screen.  It has only three gauges: RPM gauge this determines the revolutions per minute of the prop as it is not an internal combustion engine.  The Prop will have to rotate to keep flight.  The higher the faster the plane will fly.  The second is the pressure gauge for the boiler to determine the amount of power the plane has so that it can reach higher RPMs.  The last gauge is the temperature gauge for the furnace.  When the temperature gets below 250 degrees the boiler won't be hot enough to produce steam and the pressure gauge will lower.   This is pretty much the fuel monitor gauge.  When the temperature gets low a coal brick is thrown into the furnace and the temperature will rise.   The bricks burning for about 30 minutes and having enough compression for about an hour of normal flight at a combat speeds it's halved.  Aeroplanes typically carry four or five bricks behind the pilots seat.   The seat is on a swivel and a throttle lock is applied to the plane(like an autopilot) and the seat spins around to work the furnace and then back to flight.

The cylinder gun is mounted forward of the cockpit and the firing mechanism is similar to one of those cheap little pull back and release plastic cars.  A metal handle hand crank is attached to the side and is turned from about 3 o clock to about 9 o clock clockwise toward the pilot and a spring mechanism builds up pressure and is released by pressing down on a trigger to the left of the gun.  When the trigger is pressed the spring is released slowly turning a metal cog in the ammunition of the cylinder drum and also working the hammer which strikes the preloaded primer and fires the rounds.  The shot is lead ball which when fired expands into the rifling and fires out of the gun.  A "Tracer" type of round is fired where a lead ball is hollowed out and filled with phosphorous and magnesium which when ignited cause the shot to burn bright and illuminate the trajectory.   Dwarves have experimented with different powders to "Dye" the tracer rounds so red, green, and blue are common in most Aero circles.   Lark has assembled a collection of different types as getting the same dye is hard when traveling between cities.

The cylinder gun has a drum like a donut that is filled with rounds sorta similar to a ferris wheel.  It has spokes running to the center which converge on a small circle which is the aim point for the gun.   The firing barrel is like the bottom of the ferris wheel where people load and off load that rounds circle around and are fired at the bottom after each round is fired the mechanism will keep feeding as long as the trigger is pressed and the hand crack works its way back from 9 to 3 o clock.   When the drum is empty it's detached and placed in the cockpit and another whole donut is attached.

Starting of an Aeroship mounted aeroplane requires the placing of a "Hot Brick" a mixture of phosphorous and coal into the furnace and ignited with an internal flint strike mechanism.  The hot brick burns quick and fast and will create a large amount of heat and cause the boiler to kick in.  The process takes about 45 seconds for the prop to be at flight speed.   The sparrows are mounted facing in two different directions one facing fore and one aft.  So one will fly from the front and one from the rear.  Dwarven technology is again used as the launch skiff is an elongated ballista like catapult.  A release mechanism is attached so that the pilot can self release from the aero and the catapult will propel the aeroplane from the ship so that it doesn't require a runway.   Landing is harder but because an Aeroship can fly at a constant speed and heading the planes land and are caught similar to a modern aircraft carrier with a catch hook.   Planes must land one at a time from different directions.  So typically the one with the least amount of fuel lands first.   

There is no wireless radio type devices that exist so pilots must use hand and arm signals and flight gestures such as tipping wings or flying up and then down to communicate with crew or other pilots.

BTW.  I can go on and on all day.   I really like WW1 air combat....

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
I'm thinking if Serassey spends too much time near too LOUD a machinery, his hearing should be rightly affected too, just like all of us would be in real life.

As such, if we ever enter a battle and Serassey can't hear stuff, feel free to insult him with taunts like 'Where's your bloody hearing elf!!' or something similar.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch

There is no wireless radio type devices that exist so pilots must use hand and arm signals and flight gestures such as tipping wings or flying up and then down to communicate with crew or other pilots.

Are there standard signals that Mistvald aeros would have used?  Or is it a preference of each particular aero?

The engine is steam driven.

Ignore anywhere in my posts that I said 'rotary'.  Oops.  :P

I took a look at a locomotive engine and got an idea of what this one looks like.  I realize there is no piston involved in this one though.  When I mentioned it to my husband, he said think more like a waterwheel where the steam is the water...turns the turbine which turns the propeller.  Is that accurate? 
The throttle,as you said, opens up the valve and controls how much steam pushes the turbine.  Since it's kind of a free burning furnace, the blower is constantly releasing the excess steam?  So when we are flying there is almost always a trail of steam rhythmically flying out behind us, depending on how fast we go? 

And pretty much, if that compression tank is hit during flight, we're going down.  Anything like parachutes on these things?  Ha ha.

A release mechanism is attached so that the pilot can self release from the aero and the catapult will propel the aeroplane from the ship so that it doesn't require a runway.

We release the plane from the ship before we release the throttle or after?  I assume before since it might be a little tricky to do so while being slung through the air.  I just wasn't sure, if the propeller is propelling us forward, whether that would do damage to the ship's release mechanism or not.

Is the aeroship similar to this?  Is there a picture?

Thank you for replying with such a detailed post by the way.  I'm understanding what this all looks like much better now. 

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Are there standard signals that Mistvald aeros would have used?  Or is it a preference of each particular aero?

Communication between planes is done using these pretty much standard hand and arm signals.  Typically aeroplanes fly in packs or squadrons with a designated squad leader who give commands to his subordinates.  To say "yes" the plane is flown up and down as if it were a car going over big speed bumps and to say "no" it shakes it's wings sorta like a see-saw.   If an enemy aircraft is spotted the group leader will break formation and fly toward the enemy firing a shot.  The first shot typically loaded into the cyl gun would be a "Tracer" round so that all would hear and then see the direction of contact.    If the commander wishes to for the formation to climb he will shake his wings and raise his hand straight up.  To go down he would shake his wings and then point down by placing the hand out of cockpit and down toward the ground.   If in distress a flare gun is used to fire a red flare(If available) to indicated engine trouble or damage from combat.

There are NO parachutes, although the aero can become a glider if the engine is jettisoned by swiveling in the seat around and lifting a lever on either end of the engine(this requires great strength to release the catches especially if you are in a dive it's almost impossible to jettison the motor, if flying level the forward momentum and the weight though will drop the engine out of the back and down like a bomb if flying upwards the engine will fall out and fall backward ripping of your rudder and rear ailerons).   Also the aeroplane can guide with at least a complete pair of one set of wings.   Being as it is a Bi-plane it has two decks of wings as long as at least A wing is attached on the left and right sides the plane will fly or glide.  So in combat say the left upper wing catches fire and burns off and then on the right side the lower wing is rent with shot and the canvas is shredded the aero will stay in flight but must have heavy compensation to the rudder and rear ailerons which are controlled by steel cables attached to the joystick.  If any of the cables are severed then control of that portion of the aircraft is lost typically resulting in a corkscrew and eventual dive.

The engine is steam and not a rotary internal combustion and does not have the standard 4 stroke process of combining pumping fuel adding air and then igniting and then forcing out exhaust.  Instead the following happens: 

Basic operation of a simple reciprocating steam engine

*Heat is obtained from fuel burnt in a closed firebox
*The heat is transferred to the water in a pressurized boiler, ultimately boiling the water and transforming it into *saturated steam. Steam in its saturated state is always produced at the temperature of the boiling water, which in *turn depends on the steam pressure on the water surface within the boiler.
*The steam is transferred to the motor unit which uses it to push on a piston sliding inside a cylinder to power machinery.
*The used, cooler, lower pressure steam is exhausted to atmosphere.

From Wikipedia....

Diagram:

Instead of turning a wheel it is a propeller.   Also keep in mind that water is a type of fuel and when the temperature is up in your furnace and the pressure is lowering it's probably because your out of water and there's not more steam.

There is no smoke except from the furnace which is blown directly behind into the prop and dissipates quickly.  It does show that and is one of the easiest ways to spot an Aero.  Dwarven miners have experimented with forms of smoke less coal and although it is not extensively used will revolutionize Aeros.

The catapult launch system does not damage the ship. As it propels to higher speeds the aeroplane generates lift and lifts away from the ship.  An example of this is those little rubber band paperplane launchers you see at a cheap store when a kid pulls the plane back and launches it it typically flies in a loop not straight and comes back to hit the kid in the head.    The plane is braced and will not go anywhere unless the Aeropilot releases the catch it seems more logical that when the release is pulled a spring clock like mechanism counts down to release(probably less than 5 seconds) when the count down is complete the chalks that hold it in place release and the catapult fires it off.   The plane can be stationary on the skiff and have it's engine at full speed and not go anywhere.   Some Aeros actually use the attached plane as an additional flight engine to propel it along. 

I plan on drawing some diagrams of the Gale and posting them so everyone can get an idea of what the internal layout looks like and get an idea of the ship.   I'll also probably draw out a sparrow so you can get an idea of what it would look like in my mind.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:06:56 PM by Castellan »

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
I'm thinking if Serassey spends too much time near too LOUD a machinery, his hearing should be rightly affected too, just like all of us would be in real life.

Hey, Clang's squeaking neck isn't THAT loud. :P

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
Not to a normal human :P

He's probably lost his ability to 'hear a pin drop hundreds of metres away in a quiet environment' or something super fine. No big deal...

...yet.

*Evil Laughter*
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
I'll be on vacation next week from Saturday to Saturday.  I give full god-modding rights to Castellan.  If you need to move Linden in order to move the story, please do.  Thanks!  :)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Probably won't be necessary but thank you.  I plan on having the discussion with the crew and then divying out tasks and then moving out for Tellos' ship.  I am going to away this weekend also so won't be able to post so I figured I might as well start Part 2 next saturday when all the fun will begin.  :-P

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
I assume Alfons is being left to his own devices at this point?

I'll wait for him to post about going about his business, then I'll reply.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
I'll post tonight :3

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Alfons and Clang will be left behind with Grumbald(What captain would leave a boy and a machine alone with an expensive aero?) Lark, Darterity, Linden and Serrassy will all sneak onto the ship.   Lark will explain the mission to the group and then it's up to them to decide if they want to risk it.   

Grumbald, Alfons and Clang will have an encounter themselves while the rest are off at the ship.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
Oh, you can trust me with the expensive Aero...  ::)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Ok, with the boards now being back up and me having more time this week Im gonna try to push to have Part 2 started on sunday.  Things should get pretty interesting.  I'm going to try to post this afternoon and through out the week culminating in finishing Part 1 friday or saturday and beginning Part 2 on Sunday.

Though out the board battle im going to write a couple short stories that happen at various times in the Five Realms.  Im thinking about making a time scale and making things a little more indepth for the setting.   I'm gonna update and post more about the descriptions of places also and include a history.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 08:15:00 AM by Castellan »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
CASTELLON!

>:(     <---- I make angry faces at you!

I know where you live!

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
CASTELLON!

>:(     <---- I make angry faces at you!

I know where you live!

I concur (but don't know where you live)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: MH:The Secret Flight of the Vilya - PART 1: A Troublesome Crew OOC Thread.
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2010, 03:12:15 PM »
Sorry guys.  Have been busy with a new job.  Labor Day vacation is looming also.  I'll post tonight and try to finish this off by the end of the week.  Then we'll kick off part 2 after Labor Day(US Holiday Sept 6).   I'm sorry about the delays and really isn't an excuse just have been swamped with other things and I keep reserving space and time on the weekends to post and things keep coming up.    The battle is still active, check back tonight for an updated post.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #96 on: September 02, 2010, 07:34:35 AM »
lol... well here is the hard part.  It's not that I didn't have time last night.  I just had writers block.  I'm not exactly sure how to have Lark try to convince everyone.  Perhaps with the dier straights everyone is in they are forced to follow or perish, Idk.   I'll come up with something. Just took more than my addled brain could come up with last night.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #97 on: September 02, 2010, 08:19:34 AM »
Ah no worries, it is quite a tough situation :)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #98 on: September 02, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
Tonight I'll have the post completed.  Even if it's an outline.  I really would like to have part one finished by this weekend.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #99 on: September 02, 2010, 03:12:31 PM »
At present, the crew have little reason to help Lark unless there's something in it for them.  The best way to do assure them that there really is something in it for them is with the promise of riches - riches beyond the crew's wildest dreams!  An animated, heartfelt (cough) and inspiring speech about the rewards of free enterprise, and how only a combination of effort and this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity is what will line their pockets.

If he's charismatic enough, he should be able to pull this off.

Naturally, some of the crew will then have questions and (well founded) reservations, particularly since there's some people here not in it for the money.  It'll be Lark's job to address their concerns with some quick thinking, a glib tongue, and the occasional flagrant lie.

If he gets through that, I'm sure the crew will be happy to join.