Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Misthaven: Secret Flight of the Vilya - Part I: A Troublesome Crew  (Read 22209 times)

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
Re: Misthaven: Secret Flight of the Vilya - Part I: A Troublesome Crew
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2010, 09:39:35 PM »
Darterity turns to Alfons, rubbing his head. 

"Darterity is my name.  I was... employed in a large aero just a few days past.  Unfortunately luck was working against us and the aero crashed.  I don't know what happened to my crew mates, but I ended up kicking dust all the way here."

He kicks a loose stone as he walks down the street.  Obviously a little upset about recent events.

"This little halfling offered me a job, straight contract work he said.  A legit gig might do me some good...  Supposed to meet him at the hangar before sunset today."

Darterity chuckles to himself, "I sure hope they packed enough booze..."

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2010, 09:48:21 PM »
Serassey, while sitting on the ledge, had fallen into a particular trance. If one could have seen him then, it was entirely possible that they would've thought he was a statue save for the gentle heaving of his chest. In his gentle calm, he was remembering the important events in his life. The latest event most dear to him...

..."Hello? Anyone there?"

He felt as if he had been pulled as if by some tight rope. People and their shouting, people and their shouting... Elves just need to talk quitely and gently. His ears would ring for a while... A little annoyed, he looked around for the source of the female voice, but did not think the effort to search was worth it.

From the corner, he heard footsteps, and turned his head around.

Serassey simply watched quietly as she wiped her hand on her longcoat as she greeted him with a simple "Good evening". A longcoat? He frowned and cocked his head slightly to a side, trying to remember whether he had met her before... No. He couldn't remember right now.

She stuck her hand out, introducing herself as "Linden Vireo".

A wonderful name, he thought. Rolls off the tongue.

But he showed no signs of this as he simply stared at her. He noticed her attempted smile, eyes dodging to the left for a second. He smiled. Even surrounded by technology, miles away from any game animal, the Great Mother still had her ways to remind him that she was everywhere...

...Like right now. He didn't know what she was so nervous about, but he took her hand and firmly shook it. "Serassey. Just Serassey. I am doing great, thank you for your concern. I assume you're doing fine too?" He paused. Was that how humans greeted each other? He smiled visibly, both to himself and to her.

"I am looking for the owner of this... Aero." He looks towards the ship. "I have just arrived in this erm..." He struggled to recall the term he had heard. "...Aerodrome. So I apologise, I cannot give you directions as I do not know the way."

He didn't like to refuse people like this, but if he didn't know directions, he just didn't know them. They'd just have to go to someone else to ask.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2010, 10:42:42 PM »
Linden smiled more easily at the strength of the handshake and returned it sturdily.  She hadn't offended him it seemed.  Good.  By the sun, she couldn't remember anyone ever talking about meeting an elf...if that's what he was. 

"I've been...," she almost ended with 'better' and seamlessly threw in more optimistic words, which at one time had been true. "...very well.  Serassey, was it?  Well met."

Her brows rose as he continued, "Oh, I'm actually looking for the same person.  This is the Graceful Gale, correct?"

The backpack on her shoulders slid down her arms and landed with thunk on the bench behind her.  She shimmied out of the longcoat and draped it over the pack behind her.  Giving a sidelong glance, she smiled wryly.

"The little fellow recruited you too?"

She pressed her palm down into the air at her side to emphasize her words.  The heels of her hands went to her lower back then as she lifted her face again to the aero.  Bending forward a bit to stretch the muscles of her back, she tilted her head and eyed the aeroplanes at the top.

"What's your post aboard 'er?"
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:52:12 PM by Tamrissa »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 07:49:43 PM »
Little Creature? Oh! She meant the halfling.

"Oh yea, yea he did. and erm... my post... I'm... I'm not sure." He frowned. Was he supposed to have a post?

"What's your post aboard the ship then? I have just arrived in the city, so I have no idea what your human ways of doing things is."

He could see no one else around him, and he looked at her as she gazed at the 'aeros', smiling. Serassey noticed he was going a bit stiff and loosened up, his arms still kept by his side and pressed on the ledge, but now swinging his legs slightly.

"How long does it take to build one?" He asks, pointing to the aero she was looking at
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 08:41:36 PM »
Linden turned a curious expression to him, but did not comment further on Serassey's lack of information about the Graceful Gale.  Grumbald hadn't been particularly forthcoming with detailed instructions, though she had also not asked.  She casually gestured towards the small aeroplanes aboard the aero.

"I'm a pilot by profession, so I assume I'll be doing what I know best," she tapped the flight cap and goggles atop her head.  "'S'pose we'll find out soon."

As he asked the next question, she brought the same hand down and fidgeted with the fringe of hair that poked out from beneath the cap against the back of her neck.  She breathed in and made a thoughtful sound as she exhaled.  Her mouth quirked to one side and finally she answered.

"I guess it depends, but I've seen a ship nearly completed in a month.  The purpose of the ship and the richness of the owner are two other very important factors.  And a safe vessel...well, everyone has their own version of safe," she smirked drolly and then turned her gaze back to the aero in front of them. 

She crossed her arms as she spoke again, "So, you've never flown before?"

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2010, 10:03:17 PM »
"Huh... I heard about that. Had considered going to check it out myself. Why don't we three go check it out?"

He headed in the direction that he recalled hearing the hanger was in. He would move with clang, making sure.... he didn't fall apart or something.

"Your Aero Crashed?" He asked as they neared the hanger. They caused a little ruckus as they approached, but once they saw alfons, they probably thought it was one of his projects and decided to leave them alone.

"What happened?" He asked, as they entered the hanger.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2010, 10:31:24 PM »
Darterity was beginning to look pale by the time they arrive at the hangar.  With a hand continuously rubbing his head he shrugs at Alfons.

"Ran into the wrong aero.  A rival captain had it out for us.  I was shot down in a dogfight and crash landed.  Somewhow I loved through it...  As I was crawling out of the wreckage I saw the main pira- er...  Ahem!  The main ship was billowing smoke and lumbering towards a mountain.  It went over a hill and I didn't see what exactly happened.  But the loud explosion a few minutes later gave me a good idea."

He grins through clenched teeth, his headache getting worse.  "Not a word about this to the caption of the Gale.  I'm not sure how he would cater to folks in my old line of work."  He says with a weary wink.

"Looks like we're here!"

The group stands in front of the Graceful Gale.  Darterity sits on a nearby barrel and hangs his head.  "Anyone have any water?"
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:34:16 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:25 AM »
Clang tromps along behind Alfons and Darterity.  At times, Alfons glances over at him, an expression of both intrigue and worry on his face, but the construct doesn't speak any further.  He is too preoccupied with glancing around at his surroundings - now that he isn't being chased or running in fear, he realizes just how vast this... city was.  And everywhere there were voices, and people looking at him.  He ducked his head - for what little good it did him - and kept closer to his two companions.

Eventually, Darterity and Alfons stop, having arrived inside a cavernous building.  Above them hovers a giant contraption.  Clang looks up at it in wonderment.

"It floats..." he remarks with quiet awe.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2010, 04:53:11 AM »
Serassey shrugs at Linden's question. "We Elves fly with gliders. It's a lot more simple than these Aeros." He sniffs the air. "Also a lot less metallic. But I digress. I guess I have flown before, just in a manner that differs from your kind." He smiles at a thought "I think I once managed to stay afloat for two whole hours. But that was when I was younger."

He considers her previous statement. "So what do you consider safe then?" He looks at the Aero again, eyes full of wonder. "What can possibly take down such a big metal container?"

Suddenly, loud clanking footsteps alerted him and again rang in his ears.

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2010, 02:03:16 PM »
The first few words of Linden's answer trailed off as she also heard the loud metallic sounds coming from beyond their line of sight.  She turned and scooped up her belongings.  As she shouldered her pack and flipped the longcoat over her shoulder, she turned a hopeful expression to Serassey.

"Perhaps that's one of the crew now.  I'll go check on it."

As she rounded the obstacles that blocked her view, she stopped short and blinked with some surprise at the group she saw.  Her mouth parted in her amazement as she stared dumbly at them.  It could be seen that her wide eyes were particularly on Clang.

"Oh...Good Evening," she greeted uncertainly as she regained her composure a bit.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 16, 2010, 10:58:36 PM »
The sound a human voice brought Clang back to the present.  Slowly, he lowers his head, the pale blue lights in his eye-sockets settling on the woman before them.  She was dressed somewhat strangely compared to the others he had met so far... but then, who was he to judge what was strange around here?

Clang pauses for a moment, thinking about how to reply to this question, but then comes to the faint realization that what the woman had said was actually a greeting.  The way she seemed to be staring at him made him feel uncomfortable - he needed to say something.

His mind working hard to formulate an appropriate reply, he bends down slightly to respond.

"Yes.  Good evening... and hello."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »
Darterity lifts his head as a woman rounds the corner and stares at the group.  He looks back and forth between her and Clang a few times.  With a devilish grin he hops up and makes a flourish with his hat as he bows.  At the bottom of the bow his mouth fills up and his cheeks puff out.  He raises a finger in front of him, signalling for a moments time.  On shaky legs he disappears behind a large pile of parts.  You can hear him emptying his stomach on the ground, followed by gasping for breath, moaning, and a few indecipherable curses in elvish.

The commotion stops and he walks out from behind the pile of parts.  Leaning heavily on the barrel he nods at the woman.

"Yeah, hi."  He squints as he pinches the bridge of his nose.  "You part of the crew here?"

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2010, 11:23:57 PM »
Linden felt herself beginning to lean away from the metallic suit of armor, weight rocking back onto her heels.  She abruptly snapped her mouth closed and blinked twice.  The smile she tried to flash was more of a twitch of the corners of her mouth.  Her chin dipped in a nod to Clang's returned greeting.

She switched her attention to Clang's companion as he stepped forward and bowed.  His charming display was suddenly interrupted before he could even speak and she blanched as she heard the retching taking place behind the pile of parts.  In her mind she convinced her suddenly nauseated belly that there was no need to follow suit.  Luckily, Darterity returned rather quickly and, despite still looking ill, he distracted her queasiness with a question.

"I-I think so.  I'm new to this aero," she briefly twisted around to look behind her in the hopes that Serassey was approaching.  "Me and another were just waiting out the sunset to speak with those in charge about all that."

Her finger pointed towards where she had come from as she mentioned waiting.  As she turned back to the three, her lips twitched again in that attempted smile.  The pointed finger slowly retracted and she shifted the backpack on her shoulder.

"Name's Linden Vireo," she re-thought extending a hand to shake and opted with an accomplished smile that still lacked some security.  "Uh, well met."

She looked between Alfons, Clang and Darterity, "You're also crew, I assume?"

Silently, she thought over the appearance of the younger man.  Had she seen him before in the city.  He certainly looked familiar.  She had never been very good with fitting names to faces.  Before her thoughts could reflect through a gaze that lingered too long, she busied herself with removing her flight cap and taming strands of auburn hair with her palm as she listened to whatever reply they might give.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 11:25:28 PM by Tamrissa »

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2010, 08:14:29 AM »
"Has anyone come?" Grumbald questioned to Lark. Lark pulled open a small curtain from the port hole of the cabin and peered out into the fading afternoon light to investigate.

"A handful, it seems. Might be enough. I'd hoped for more, but I expected less than this.  You must of told them a good yarn to get this many to come." Lark said as he scratched his stubbled chin.

"Yeah, surprisingly there's great many folk in the Misthaves with just as bad luck us we."  Grumbald stated although not liking the reaction he got from Lark who had enough with luck.

"Speaking of luck.  What the steam valve is the contraption there? It's a metallic abomination.  What is it? It must weigh a ton.  Surely you didn't invite that behemoth to join the crew.  Did you?"

"Awww. Well you see.  Umm. What contraption?" Lark moved from the porthole window and Grubald climbed onto a cracker box to peer outside at the gaggle of visitors.  "I don't know. I didn't invite that thing but were scraping the bottom of the barrel as it is might have to give it a chance." Grumbald stuttered trying to reassure Lark although thoroughly confused at the metallic creatures appearance. 

"This is an aeroship mission not a horse pull race.  Maybe we can use it as some kind of air anchor. Anyway, hopefully one of those chaps out there is a good wrencher.  When you were out I inspected the ship and we have serious problems.  One of the larboard and two port props of the main steam-driver are down.  Our aero can fly but only straight up and at quarter speed.  The rutter doesn't seem to be responding either so we can pretty much fly in a straight line.  If we can't get any of that fixed you might as well say were dead in the water." Lark sighed and continued, "We may have an even bigger problem too."

"Aye? what kind of problem?" Grumbald asked, starting to feel there were too many problems already.

"Well an evaporation return line for one of boiler condensers burst." Lark said as he started pacing the interior of the cabin.

At this Grumbald felt relieved.  A simple condenser line, surely that was the least of their worries.  "Well that's not all that bad I could have it fixed in no time.  Doesn't take a wrencher to fix a simple fluid return line."

"Don't bother, I already did. The problems not the line it's where the line blew out.  It ruptured and flooded the aft powder hold.  All the Cyl rounds and all of the shot is ruined.  Going to Pion is a fools idea, going to Pion without any firing guns is suicidal."  Lark said as he made his way down from the forward cabin aftward to show Grumbald the damages. 

"Aye, that it is.  This isn't lookin good Lar." Grumbald said as he followed Lark out of the forward cabin.

"I've been thinking of ideas of how we can get some powder but it's not looking very good. An if I told you my idea you'd probably have to change your breeches." Lark said with a smirk as he worked his way through the crew quarters and then into the gun deck were the cannonades were positioned although many of the cannons were too dirty or poorly maintained to fire or were missing from their gun swivels entirely.

"Well at this stage with only a night or two left, we need to come up with something."  Grumbald pleaded, "No matter how insane it maybe."

"Well Grum, what I have in mind my be a tad beyond insane." Lark said with a sinister smile that seemed to give a maniacal look about himself.

"Lar, we've been fly'n and fight'n for years together. I think I've seen just about everything there is to see and I know ya can do anything no matter how insane it maybe."  he assured lark.

"Grum, I was given word that Tellos Stormslade is throwin his crew a big party tonight at the Quandary for bagging a trophy pirate ship on the inland sea." before Lark could continue Grumbald's expression had changed from assuring, to surprised, finally to completely shocked and Lark couldn't help but give it a second to set in.  He looked at Grumbald who was so aghast with the mention of Tellos that he couldn't reply and lark finally decided to continue with his idea.  "I say we see which of these recruits is worthy to be an aero and we sneak onto Tellos' privateer ship and raid his powder keg."

For about a minute Grumbald stood speechless and frozen in such a stark shock. He couldn't fathom what he had just heard. It was as if what he was telling him was the absolute opposite of anything sensible or within reason.  He was only broken from his statuesque trance because Lark refused to stop and continued marching through the ship now into the main hold where crates and barrels of materiel were strapped to the plank decking.

Grumbald finally caught up to Lark who had gravitated to the corner of the hold to stand next to several rectangular crates.  "Lar... Are you serious?  Perhaps you've been in the sun too long. You can't be serious.  Tellos wants your head on a spit and now you mean to simply sneak into his lap and give it to him.  Surely?" Grumbald questioned.

"Precisely why we should sneak on his ship.  It's the last thing he'd expect.  Besides it's a privateer ship it's bristling with guns they have more powder than we'd ever need on it."  Lark said still holding his sinister grin, which started to make Grumbald think that it might soon embed itself in Lark's gristled face.

"But Tellos' ship?  Why not another ship? Surely one with a crew not seeking already to kill us on sight." Grumbald asked watching curiously as Lark picked up a crowbar and began to shim away at one of rectangular crates.

"Grum, you see Tellos' ship has something on it we needed to begin with." Lark said as the top plank of boards splintered and fell away from the crate revealing it's contents. "It has the only shot and magazines for these." Lark said his pupils dilating as he stared down into the deep crate with a look of selfish bliss.  Grumbald edged across to room to stand on his toes to peer down into the crates to see the most ornate weapons he'd ever seen.  Grumbald was awed and now fully understood why Tellos so badly wanted to kill Lark.  The weapons were exquisite and inlaid with hand carved golden details.  Barrels of silver coated steel with the muzzle of each piercing the mouth of a roaring golden lion.  The hand cranked wheel lock mechanism was of finely engraved silver and a wooden handle of mahogany.  Grumbald knew that a simple half turn of this decorative handle and the depressing of a golden trigger would turn these works of art into whirling devices of death and destruction.  Cylinder guns and not just any Cyl gun; these were the finest crafted guns in the five realms.  The rifling would be precisely cut deep into each steel barrel allowing lead shot to expand and spiral out to reach any foe who so unluckily happened to fall within the weapon's sights.

"Lar," is all Grumbald could seem to say before Lark placed the cover back on top of the crate repackaging the cylinder guns.

"Then you agree?  We go tonight then.  The ship will be lightly defended probably a drunk deckhand or two we'll sneak aboard grab the rounds for the cylinder guns and kegs of powder. We'll leave for Keln in the morning as long as we can get the rutter working we can fix the broken props in flight." Lark slapped his hands together and wiped the dust and packaging grease off onto his uniform jacket. "Now lets go meet this crew of ours."

"Lar." Grumbald mouthed but nothing came out as he continued to stare at the recovered crate as Lark made his way through the hold to the main deck. Grumbald could faintly hear the footsteps on the planking as Lark descended to the lower gun deck and barely heard Lark ashe climbed down the landing struts to the assembled crew below.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 08:32:06 PM by Castellan »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »
"I'm as much crew as you are.  Not sure about the other two.  The big thing over there, Clang he calls himself, was in a bit of a tussle on the streets.  Alfons," he points over to him as he says his name, "and I jumped in to help the poor fella out.  Not sure what we're going to do with him.  He's as dumb as he is heavy, that one..."

Darterity straightens and lets go of the barrel.  It seems that he is feeling better after relieving his stomache of all that alcohol.  He adjusts the belt on his hips and straightens his weapons before sauntering over closer to Linden, beaming with a smile.

"You look like a pilot, Linden.  Good to see that I won't be the only one zipping around in one of those sparrows.  Dogfights end pretty quick when you're the only dog on your side..."

He is standing closer to Linden now, and is scanning behind her for the other fellow she mentioned.

"So where is the other-"  He sees Serassey perched on a ledge and his smile quickly fades.  "Oh... An elf..."
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 02:07:51 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2010, 01:34:40 PM »
Nodding as Darterity introduced his companions, Linden inclined her head to Alfons and Clang respectively.  Her gaze was drawn back to the approaching man, who had not introduced himself yet as far as she could remember.  Her brows went up as he commented on her being a pilot and she opened her mouth to confirm his observation, but closed it again as he continued.

Instead, she shook her head in agreement with his words.  As he moved closer, she found herself smiling more genuinely in response to his own smile.  Distracted by his friendly words and his appealing visage, she hardly realized he stood so near until his pleased expression faded. 

"Aye, that's Serassey," she turned and took a step to one side, clearing her throat a bit.  "He's about as informed as the rest of us.  We were just saying so when you all arrived."

She briefly looked back at Darterity and then up towards the aero, "The sun is setting so I imagine we will know soon."

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2010, 04:23:50 PM »
Clang, not really knowing how to answer Linden's question, instead turns to see if Darterity can provide an answer for him.  Unfortunately, Darterity's response does not clear up any questions.  The remark on Clang's intelligence causes him to look down about as sadly as an expressionless construct can.

"I will... learn..." he quietly mumbles to himself.

The conversation continues, and both participants look over to a slim-bodied figure sitting nearby.  Clang's gaze follows their gaze, quietly observing the man and waiting to see if he will introduce himself.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 09:50:03 PM »
"Hello everyone" Alfons said, looking over the small crowed.

"You are pilots? Well, Lets hope they give you something decent to fly, though I can fix just about anything" he chuckled. The boy looked to be in his mid teens if anything.

His eyes were drawn to the approaching people, and he turns to face them, standing next to clang.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2010, 08:01:03 AM »
Serassey pushes himself gracefully off the ledge and walks towards the new crew members. From where he had been sitting, along with his height, he couldn't get a clear view of what was going on.

The moment he does see them though, he visibly jumps back and becomes a little defensive.

It was them! The same people he had seen from the shadows. Not only that, but that... thing was with them.

"I will... learn..."

He nearly attacks it directly. That voice, so soft, but so awkward. It was as if steel was being rubbed against some uneven ground, or... well what else was there!??!

"Many greetings, everyone. I'm Serassey." He pauses. "Is that thing coming with us?"

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2010, 07:02:54 AM »
"Let's see what we have here." Lark mumbled under his breath as he stepped off the landing skids onto the dusty hanger floor.

He scanned the assembled group of prospective crew members with some aprehension.  These recruits weren't exactly what he was looking for.  When it came to crews he was used to historically crew members were gruff and rusty looking strongbacks.  Men who could lift or pull and be otherwise completely menial deckhands.  These few prospects had an eclectic appearance and didn't look anything like your typical crew.  Lark was trying to be optimistic but he didn't think they'd be able to leave the Aerodrome let alone make it to Keln with a crew like this.  Perhaps the burning the Aero to the ground and fleeing wasn't a bad idea after all.   

Lark advanced to a couple of paces of the group and struck a serious pose of authority.  He wanted to make an impression.  Whether it would get the results he hoped for or not was apt for speculation.  Standing with a chivalric pose almost sideways facing the crew with his lamed right led bent at the knee to reduce the weight apportioned to it.  His hands rested at his waist above his leather belt which harnessed a flintlock pistol of a common design.  His hair was unkempt and he hadn't trimmed or maintained his sprouting goatee which was flanked by thick stubble.  His physical appearance didn't add much to his proposed idea of being a commanding presence.

The double-breasted military jacket he wore didn't add much to his authoritative appearence either.  One of the flaps was unbuttoned and the buttons were of various makes and a couple were missing entirely.   A silver eagle medal adorned the left chest although whether this was a combat medal awarded or simply bought could not easily be deciphered.  The entire jacket and trouser ensemble was torn and stained in numerous locations and some parts threatened to tear entirely.   One of the shoulders had a gold pauldron adorning it although this was so grimy that it could of passed for being brown.  Further more a great stain of dried blood was crusted to the right chest and collar.  Lark Ornen was by far not the poster boy for any Aero Corps in the Realms this anyone could deduce within seconds of laying their eyes on him.

"I know im not what you probably were expecting for an Aero Captain," Lark began trying to keep his voice loud and smooth so as to have a commanding flair to it. "I don't think this Aero, the Graceful Gale, is what you were expecting in an Aero, either.  Make no mistake we do look quaint.  This is merely the ill fates of bad luck.  Although I always believe luck runs like a tide.  When it is bad and runs out you are left stranded on burning sands but when it comes it washes away the detritus and drags you out to the sea where any fate is possible.  I must let you know that the tide has come in and my luck has finally turned."  Lark stated as he looked out at the assembled members trying to gauge the reactions.

"Let me rephrase that.  OUR luck has turned.  You have come from many backgrounds and roads of life with dreams and plans for life only to have them all squashed before you or perhaps you just have a sense of adventure and an unquenchable thirst for the unknown.  Either way you are here and you will be rewarded with the treasures that of which will outweigh any of the burdens that have led you here."  Lark said as he began to pace back and forth in front of the crew gesturing as he did so to emphasize his speech. 

"I can't promise that service to me will be easy or that danger won't be involved.  This is Aero service and you know the risks.  What I can promise is that if you come with me and do your duty to your Aero captain and crew you will be a richer man." Lark stopped realizing as he looked out at the crew there there was also a lady within there midst, "or woman..."

"You'll be fed as best as we can feed you.  You'll eat as me and the first mate do.  No one will suffer the depridations that other Aero crews suffer as second class to the officers.  If you do your duty and serve honorably you will thus be rewarded.  I can't pay anyone anything now until our mission is complete.  Although pay and any type of reward will be equally divided amongst the crew when or if any is acquired."  Lark emphasized the "if" just so all could hear it. He wasn't going to guarantee anything.  This whole mission could be a fool's errand but only time would tell. As long as the Legislator kept Tellos and Parth off his back he could deal with these new acquantenances if the mission went sour and he had to doublecross them all if necessary.

"If you don't feel this is the right Aero for you I'm sure you could find work on one of the ships sailing the inland sea but I don't believe you'll get an opportunity like the one I'm offering." The tone of Lark's voice was very persuasive even if Lark knew that a couple other Aero captains may have similar offers for other dangerous tasks, he wanted to emphasize his mission as the most rewarding.

"Do any of you wish to not join the crew of the Graceful Gale and capture rewards greater than your heart could ever desire?" Lark said with a sinister smile and spreading his arms wide as if he were reaching to grab his own desired treasures.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 07:15:44 AM by Castellan »