Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Administorum Restoration Discussion  (Read 62955 times)

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
Re: General bullshit
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »
I'm sure I could muster up a .gif file appropriate for this bewbs conversation...

But meh, in other news.  I need to color in my new avatar...

Also, did you know that you can change your name on this board on the fly?

I figured this was a more appropriate username, considering recent events.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2010, 11:07:43 PM »
And also Clutch, now that you explain it like that I have to agree with both of you.  The Battle Host would be a shared account that all Battle Hosts use.  Kind of like passing around the podium, so to speak.

But the 1 account per person is also a good rule.  NO EXCEPTIONS.

I'm not even sure how bewbs can launch books... I'm intrigued.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:58:57 PM by StarbladeMKIII »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2010, 11:32:20 PM »
Kitharsis, awesome avatar!  ;D  I <3 it. 

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:42:09 PM by Faidth »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2010, 11:51:26 PM »
The Battle Host would be a shared account that all Battle Hosts use.  Kind of like passing around the podium, so to speak.
This is a neat idea in theory, but this once again stems back to what I was saying earlier about us trying to encourage multiple Board Battles. If there's only one Battle Host account, that won't really help for other battles. And a bunch of extra accounts for all the various Battle Hosts we may have kinda defeats the purpose of me limiting everyone to one account.

Personally, I think trying to change how we did the BBs in the past is kinda trying to fix something that wasn't really that broken. Some tweaks may be needed, but I don't think we need to overhaul the process.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2010, 12:26:56 AM »
 ;D Thanks Faidth.

Theres something wrong with the perspective...  I need to do it over or at least throw some shading in.

Mmm Hmmm, I didn't think about the more than one battle detail...  Gotcha, scratch that idea. 

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2010, 04:02:37 AM »
well damn it....i dont check the boards for ~a day due to work and I come back and Faidth has successfully shattered my entire image of her....in the posts she has made since i last checked i have seen so much....wrongness i just dont know what to think anymore!!!  Whatever happened to the innocent Faidth I knew?!?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 05:48:08 AM by Jharm »
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2010, 05:03:09 PM »
Still here, Joe. It's just much easier to behave myself when you're around.  :P

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2010, 08:26:45 PM »
Just to get back to what was discussed previously: I personally don't see the problem with a Battle Host focussing on their own character a bit.  The reasons should be obvious: the battle host needs to plan out the entire storyline (at least to some extent) from the beginning.  The only character and settings the Battle Host can take liberties with, and knows intimately well, is their own one (or new ones that they create), so it's only natural for the story to focus, to a greater or lesser degree, on those.

That said, I think it's important for other players to get in touch with the Battle Host during the battle if they have ideas of things they'd like to do with their characters as well.  During the Eye of Terror I developed some ideas for Soul Reaver that I was working on (and would have led to some interesting things later) that I discussed with Clutch and the other characters that would have been involved... so I think the Battle Host should be flexible enough to try and fit things like that in if they won't completely derail the story.

Personally, I enjoyed Battle Hosting immensely, but at the same time I've also been greatly enjoying having Soul Reaver engaged in other peoples' adventures.  There's something to be said for both.

By the way - no offense, but I think one rule we need to avoid another 'board death' like last time is some sort of escape clause in case a Battle Host has to abandon their duties and posts too infrequently.  It holds everything up.  I don't yet know exactly how that would work yet, and I'm very opposed that such a thing be used liberally (since it amounts to god-moding and can totally mess up the battle host's story), but something to that effect would have prevented the previous board death.

One last thing: cool avatar, Kith. :D

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »
By the way - no offense, but I think one rule we need to avoid another 'board death' like last time is some sort of escape clause in case a Battle Host has to abandon their duties and posts too infrequently.  It holds everything up.  I don't yet know exactly how that would work yet, and I'm very opposed that such a thing be used liberally (since it amounts to god-moding and can totally mess up the battle host's story), but something to that effect would have prevented the previous board death.
I agree with this. Not sure how it will work, but it's something I'm going to give some thought.

hey guys... don't forget about the IRC channel. It's REALLY easy to connect to and I'd love to talk to you guys in real time again.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
I think for the escape clause it's a must to first define and standardise how infrequently is infrequently. Granted, I'm not sure if a similar rule was implemented in the previous board, but if it was I propose that it be brought back and made a premise which cannot and should not be broken unless otherwise agreed upon. If it is, the task should fall on one of the players of the current story to ask the Battle Host whether they'll be posting anytime soon. Said player should be agreed upon beforehand.

From this, assuming that Battle Host is busy to hell, 2 things can happen. a) the host knows how busy they are, knows when whatever happens will finish and says so on the boards, or b) the host is unsure when his/her/it's work load would be reduced to a sufficent, handable load.

For a), I think the host would then have to say what kind of actions they would not wish to be carried out. However, bearing in mind that it IS a story and that it needs to move on, I think the new temporary host should be allowed to carry said actions out if really necessary or felt the time was right. Of course, this is for if original host is busy for a super long period of time. b) is extremely hard to decide on... I propose then that the length of infrequency be lengthened. If everyone agrees upon it, we're all happy! If not, then it'll have to fall upon another player to mod. Here, I propose a set amount of days/weeks/months before the player becomes the new Battle Host.

It's not the best system and I think works a bit too simply, but I thought I'd bring it out just in case it hits anyone in the head and/or chest and gives them inspriation.

Also, wtf! Pushing a textbook across a freaging table with his chest alone?  How big was the text?
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2010, 11:16:46 PM »
This is really the type of thing that needs to not be set in stone. I mean, guidelines should be written out, but I think this is the kind of delicate situation that would need to be handled on a case to case basis. But yes, I do agree with the ideas you guys have given so far.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2010, 01:49:49 AM »
Ah yes, the escape clause...  Well, sort of.

I remember in one of the battles we decided to "Hit the Reset Button" and start over at a different place.  An epic storm blew up the armada that was chasing us and all the characters were washed up on a beach.  That battle kind of fizzled out in the long one, if I remember.

That was one of those battles where it was open ended with no specific host.  Those kinds, while fun for a while, didn't work too well.  I think if there are any side battles that a host will be present and directing things.  Not necessarily as much as the main battle, but battles with a known host tend to work out much better.

Collaboration is a great thing, it adds depth to the story and continuity between the different storylines.

Rules where if the Battle Host misses X days he needs to pass his duties to someone else are badness.  I agree that any system we set in place will be merely guidelines.  Life can certainly slap a person around every now and then unexpectantly.  I know I've been guilty of taking extended absences unannounced... (Bad, bad...  No more of that!)

I'm glad the avatar is a hit  ;D  It needs more work but for usaing a camera phone and MS Paint it didn't turn out too bad  :P  Someday I should really learn this new fangled photoshop thingy.  I hear its neato.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2010, 02:25:39 AM »
The thing is... if we can get more then one battle running, then long pauses in one won't nearly hurt as much. Long pauses KILLED us in EoT because it was the only thing going. So when it stalled, everything just stalled with it. Having two or three battles means that if one stumbles, the other two can pick up the slack. One thing I WILL make a rule about though... You can only battle Host one battle at a time. Period. If you're running the Epic BB, your idea for an alternate BB will just have to wait till you're done. Running a character in multiple BBs is one thing, but a Host dividing his or her attention between multiple battles he or she is hosting? That's no good. I've found it hard enough to battle Host one battle and run a character in another, and running two battles just sucks for everyone involved.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2010, 08:43:18 AM »
I see the new boards are just as dead on the weekend as the old boards were.  :P

Should be pushing a major update in the next two days. There may be some intermittent downtime while I tinker with things. Gonna get two more forums open to keep you guys occupied. Also going to begin working on a behind the scenes project... something I've been putting off since back before the boards closed. I will finish that archive portal yet!  8)

I have someone helping me with summarizing the archives right now. No small feat, but it needs to be done if we're going to attract new users. If any of you other peeps out there have some free time on your hands and wish to help with anything, let me know via PM and I'll let you know what needs done.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #114 on: March 09, 2010, 06:27:37 AM »
Was out for Drill Weekend this weekend.   Need a board battle even just a test one to do something with till another comes along.  Mortal Kombat? lol.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2010, 10:04:17 AM »
I agree. Or perhaps even opening up the suggestions forum would add to keeping activity up a bit. That way, we can talk about possible board battles to kick things off, as well as a possible battle host. The only real element that killed the old boards was continuous inaction. Let's try to alleviate that by giving everyone something to do.  Not trying to nag. Just keeping it real.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:07:34 AM by Danyael Ilixandros »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
I have someone helping me with summarizing the archives right now. No small feat, but it needs to be done if we're going to attract new users. If any of you other peeps out there have some free time on your hands and wish to help with anything, let me know via PM and I'll let you know what needs done.

You (and whoever is helping you) might just be in luck. Check your gmail, there's a surprise there for you.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2010, 09:28:57 PM »
You (and whoever is helping you) might just be in luck. Check your gmail, there's a surprise there for you.

Yes, that was quite a nice surprise. Thank you.

Was out for Drill Weekend this weekend.   Need a board battle even just a test one to do something with till another comes along.  Mortal Kombat? lol.
I agree. Or perhaps even opening up the suggestions forum would add to keeping activity up a bit. That way, we can talk about possible board battles to kick things off, as well as a possible battle host. The only real element that killed the old boards was continuous inaction. Let's try to alleviate that by giving everyone something to do.  Not trying to nag. Just keeping it real.
You two must have forgotten to read my post the whole way.
Should be pushing a major update in the next two days. There may be some intermittent downtime while I tinker with things. Gonna get two more forums open to keep you guys occupied.
Patience.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2010, 07:49:32 AM »
You're right. I did miss that. Sorry.
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2010, 10:44:59 PM »
Well, I didn't get EVERYTHING I wanted done this weekend, but I made some progress. The Character Creation forum is open for business. Go to it.