Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Administorum Restoration Discussion  (Read 62405 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
Re: General bullshit
« Reply #60 on: March 04, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »
Hmmm. And here I was planning on making a "No Fan-fiction" rule. :-P

Don't forget the little sand skeletons. They were awesome. Kelvack disguised as a cat was one of my favorite BB moments ever, though.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #61 on: March 04, 2010, 01:13:50 AM »
Yeah, I also really like Kitharsis, and if he were to go you'd better give him a damn graceful exit.

Why do you think he's one of the heroes included in To the Bitter End?  I mean, other than being relatively easy to pick a 3D model for....   ;)

Offline Fei

• Banned
« Reply #62 on: March 04, 2010, 01:47:03 AM »
I was, honestly, much more fond of Kelvack than Kitharsis.    Then again, I'm fond of people's original creations.  And I remember Kelvack from before the boards.

Offline Fei

• Banned
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2010, 01:49:12 AM »
I absolutely adored Kith! He was awesome! He had some of the coolest abilities. In particular, I loved how he could use his tattoos as weapons. I thought that it was a pretty inventive idea and he definitely stuck out amongst the rabble. Plus, his physical description was pretty beastly, too. Good Lawd, I sound like some kind of Kitharsis fangirl... I think I am going to have t-shirts made, write a fan-fiction, eat a pint of ice cream and start an LJ Community called Kithars-IS-HAWT. *shudders* Squee aside, your characters are ultimately your choice, but damn I would miss him!

How To Impress Faidth: Volume 1 of 1

1.) Be large and muscly
2.) Grunt and be retarded in a cute way.
3.) Don't know any better.
4.) Be 'Feral, Primal, Tribal, Beastial, or a PETA Agent'
5.) Manage to accomplish the above without being Said Tree Hugger Nature freak.

The End =P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 01:51:03 AM by Fei »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2010, 07:01:52 AM »
LMAO Fei!

Welcome back everyone ^^

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
No-Fan Fiction... awww...

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2010, 10:34:24 AM »
Fiction is OK. Fan-fiction is not. There's a difference.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2010, 10:49:04 AM »
Well then, this is becoming increasingly more awkward.  It's like someone caught me throwing out my old toys and yelling at me for how cool they were.  Now that I think about it, if any of the vets were going to do a switcheroo with their mains I would probably feel the same way.  Allow me to wipe off this egg on my face quickly before anyone notices...

Kelvack was a reflection of me not knowing what kind of character to make, so I just created one that could do everything I could ever think up.  His personality is fun to deal with and his history is a loooong one.  I'm sure he'll be making an appearance, but not immediately.

After a few cheesy characters  (remember Kax and Halcon? ew....) I made Kitharsis another shapeshifter.  But then I decided I needed to think up someone that I'd stick with for a long time.  I put together all the things I wanted/liked and realized that there wasn't really an easy way to mesh all those things together.   I decided to just go with it and take a lot of liberties and create a lot of lore.  He may go through a few minor edits, but he will stick around for certain.  I now need to read all of my old posts to remember his quirks...

The new guy will be reserved for a side story, I suppose.  If we ever start one.  Or heck, if I ever run an adventure he will probably pop up there.

Speaking of which, how are we deciding who will run the first adventure?  I'd like for the new season of the board battles to start out with a bang.  While I'd like to try my hand a dm-ing, I don't think I could do the 'first episode' justice.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 10:51:53 AM by Kelvack »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
@Fei: that is disturbingly accurate. I will unabashedly agree with all those points as being 100% correct.  :-P 

I'm not sure who is running EpicBB, but I really like the idea of having multiple stories running simultaneously. Opens up this avenue for new experiences.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »
I think I mentioned this earlier in the thread, but to avoid any unneeded scrolling, here's the gist. The Battle Host for the first battle is very up in the air. I plan on waiting to see just how many people are interested in running, and then decide on the method we will use to select once we determine how many choices there are. The only thing I know for certain is that the first Battle Host will NOT be me. I am 100% responsible for driving the old boards into the ground with my mismanagement of the Eye of Terror campaign, and I would rather have someone else start things up. And for those of you who are worried, do not fret. I will be making a few posts to tie up Eye of Terror loose ends before I hand the reigns over to the new host, to avoid any unneeded plot holes that have to be explained away.

Faidth, are you posting from school? Naughty, naughty.  :P
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:56:12 AM by StarbladeMKIII »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2010, 11:50:38 AM »
Noooo...  :-[   Okay, maybe a little. I am a terrible example of responsibility for small children. :(    But it's my lunch break! (*mutters: probably be on during prep. too.)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2010, 11:57:10 AM »
Haha.

Oh yeah, real quick. Hope everyone got my message about the forum downtime. Looks like it will probably happen sometime tonight.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: March 04, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »
What am I gonna do tonight, now? :(

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2010, 03:30:09 PM »
The old forums are blocked at work for me -.-

NOW what am I going to do while compiling code.  I was going to catch up on the old battles, but nooooooo.

I am trying to determine who to ask to participate in this at work.  I think I'll bring in a 20 sided die and walk around with it and see who comments on a PnP.

Anyone playing any good MMO's?  I'm currently grinding away with Flyff -->http://flyff.gpotato.com/community/ and the open beta started for Fantasy Earth Zero -->http://fez.gamepotusa.com/ yesterday.

Flyff is, as mentioned above, a huge grind session with collection/Kill_10_of_these quests strewn throughout.  It's F2P with a cash shop but you can buy cash shop items from other players for millions.  Something to mindlessly kill time with and the economy is fun to buy low-sell high.

Fantasy Earth Zero is... well I have no idea.  I spent 40 minutes in OB and just felt meh about the whole thing.  Although it was pretty cool when the gm went, "Oh, HAI!!  Here, be level 20!"  And poof I'm uber.

Why the hell am I so long winded on my posts anymore?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 03:37:50 PM by Kelvack »

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2010, 03:43:53 PM »
I can't rationallize playing anymore MMOs as I can't afford to use $15-20 a month for something with nothing tangible and phyisical.  Miniature gaming has something real that I can sorta invest in.  In MMOs you only blow your time with nothing to show for it(In the Material World).  I don't have time that much anymore for both miniature games and MMOs.  So chose one or the other and that happened to be miniatures.  I can always sell miniatures off if I don't want them anymore for usually more than I paid for them.

I do play FPS games that are free to play Multiplayer on.  Plan on Picking up BF2 Bad Company.

Offline Fei

• Banned
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2010, 05:23:35 PM »
One thing that I'd like to make Mention of and hopefully something we can do onward

Battle Host = Host of the Battle.

Battle host ≠ Your character leads the others by the nose around your adventure.

A Battle host is a huge responsibility.  Just as a Dungeon Master or Game Master in Pen and Paper.  In Previous Board Battles experiences, the battles were centered around characters with others following the lead.  I think that is a mold that needs to be shattered and discarded.  It's a Battle Host's job to provide an engaging story that everyone can partake in and put aside personal egos.  Not tell the story of a single character, say for example, a character named 'Far'ass Gingerspud' and have everyone else in that character's little world and their actions mean very little.

That doesn't mean hang up your character for the board battle while hosting.  Just don't let 1 character overshadow the rest. 

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #76 on: March 04, 2010, 05:51:53 PM »
This is a good point Fei. 

I know that personally in the old days I was more focused on developing my own character rather than expanding his interactions with the group as a whole.

Throwing out an idea here:  Should the Battle Host be a separate account that the current person leading the storyline posts from?

In the past there was never really any trouble determining who the Host was.   I'm just thinking that the whole idea of a separate account for the Battle Host would give whoever is leading some separation from their other avatar/ego.  The rules/taboos for this extra login would have to be established before being put into effect, obviously.  Just thinking with my mouth/keyboard open.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #77 on: March 04, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »
Throwing out an idea here:  Should the Battle Host be a separate account that the current person leading the storyline posts from?

In the past there was never really any trouble determining who the Host was.   I'm just thinking that the whole idea of a separate account for the Battle Host would give whoever is leading some separation from their other avatar/ego.  The rules/taboos for this extra login would have to be established before being put into effect, obviously.  Just thinking with my mouth/keyboard open.

I am not allowing multiple accounts. So no, Battle Hosts will lead with their current account.

One thing that I'd like to make Mention of and hopefully something we can do onward

Battle Host = Host of the Battle.

Battle host ≠ Your character leads the others by the nose around your adventure.

A Battle host is a huge responsibility.  Just as a Dungeon Master or Game Master in Pen and Paper.  In Previous Board Battles experiences, the battles were centered around characters with others following the lead.  I think that is a mold that needs to be shattered and discarded.  It's a Battle Host's job to provide an engaging story that everyone can partake in and put aside personal egos.  Not tell the story of a single character, say for example, a character named 'Far'ass Gingerspud' and have everyone else in that character's little world and their actions mean very little.

That doesn't mean hang up your character for the board battle while hosting.  Just don't let 1 character overshadow the rest. 

I also disagree with having people hang up their characters when hosting a battle. I always kinda personally thought that being the Battle Host was an opportunity to showcase your character a little bit. Not exactly steal the show, per say, but to bring the other characters into your characters universe and expand upon the things that your character has done. And our past board battles have been able to do that while still allowing the other characters to expand their plot as well. The Bonds of Betrayal was a fantastic story. But it was set in the Upper Umbra and was very much focused around Tamrissa and Fei. The Weaver of Destiny was epic, and a lot of characters had epic moments. One of my character's major plot points stemmed from that very battle. yet it was in set in Soul Reaver's home world, and Soul was essentially the driver. Chaos and Clutchfiend even had my character's name in the title, for christ's sake.  :P But it was our first foray into the 40k-themed mythos of Cameron's universe, and I very much enjoyed seeing other character's reactions to that, even more so then I did expanding my own character's story. The one story that I DO feel was handled improperly, The Eye of Terror, was not because I was too focused on my character's part in it, but definitely because I tried to make it too grand, and dragged it on WAAAAY too long. Not having Cameron in that story would have not made that any different. In fact, Cameron was absent a good portion of the begining of that one, and I was mostly operating through NPCs. So that had nothing to do with it's failure.

Now granted, not EVERY story that someone hosts needs to be set in their own universe. People who have hosted multiple times can only tell so many stories in the same universe before it gets old and stale. But setting the battle in your own universe is great for first time Battle Hosts, as it's much easier to write and get passionate about something that you've already been working on forever, and it gives that character it's moment to shine, and for people to learn things about the character that they might not have known before. I also feel that characters that have had the central role in a battle at least once tend to be fleshed out much better then characters who haven't. And giving a first-time Battle Host the chance to showcase their character a bit also makes people INTERESTED in Battle Hosting. Without that, we're going to end up with the same two or three people hosting every battle forever. Obviously your battle shouldn't be completely focused on yourself, but if you can showcase your character and still have an entertaining story that others are interested to play, it would be a disservice to everyone for us to just say "No, not allowed."

Wow. Wall of text. tl;dr: No alternate accounts, Definitely dislike making players hang up their characters for Battle Hosting, Battle Hosts should have the freedom to showcase their characters if they so choose, in moderation. Granted, this is all just my opinion.

Except the no alternate accounts, bit. That's already in my rough draft of the rules. WAY too many alter-ego accounts on the old boards.

Offline Fei

• Banned
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2010, 06:29:55 PM »
I said NOT to hang up their characters.  Learn 2 Read =P.  But have their characters a part of the story as all the characters =P.

The problem with Showcasing is that it leads to what happened before;  Some people would only read certain posts and forget about everything else.  It also led to 1 batman and a fuckton of Robins.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2010, 06:36:50 PM »
People only reading certain posts is not a problem that is the Battle Host's responsibility to fix, honestly. Unless it's the Battle Host that is skipping posts. Then that's just a bad Battle Host. And as far as the fuckton of Robins goes, it's the battle Host's job to get ALL the chracters involved with the story ina  meaningful way, regardless of what the story is about.