Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: New Guy.  (Read 16405 times)

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
New Guy.
« on: August 30, 2010, 11:22:38 AM »
Name's Sam.  I drink, play lots of video games (strategy, MMO, RPG, and rarely some FPS), and watch lots of anime, the latest of which I've been looking at has been Mask of the Stranger.  I'm also quite an artist, enough so that I'm investing in a $2,000 WACOM tablet to build my portfolio, and do some commissions with.  If all goes well with this RPG, I'd definitely enjoy drawing up some of the shenanigans and whatnot that occur.  I'm very laid back and easy to get along with, and I take constructive criticism very well (in fact, I believe it's one of the few ways people ever improve).

I've got about a decade of experience in RPGs under my belt, covering a lot of different characters and unfinished story lines.  I've only found a few crowds to RP with, and none of them stick with it until the end of a game.  Even if it takes another decade, I would like to have at least one finished game under my belt, flakes be damned. 

I found you guys through the WC3 map, actually.  I'm deployed in Afghanistan right now, and don't have much of an internet connection.  So, I whipped out WC3, beat it, and got bored.  I needed another campaign.  I did some Google, and bam!  I decided I liked some of the creative touches on the storyline there, and once I discovered it was the product of an RP board... it just sounded too fun.

I have only a handful of characters that would fit in such an epic context though, so I'm deciding between two right now: a young wizard (good aligned, but has a "the end justifies the means" attitude) whose power and knowledge of the world grew too quickly due to inheriting the archive of a great sorcerer that raised him, and is trying to escape the gods of his world until he can find a way to destroy them.  The other, a former knight of an inquisition with brutal methods against magic users (mostly evil, but a deep down good awoken by his love interest), and in order to save his life is turned into a fiery demon by a god that thought him a "promising investment."  Whichever might fit better or add a more interesting combo to what you guys have, I'm open for suggestions.

I'll get my application and make adjustments to these characters once the guidelines are up.  Looking forward to it.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
Re: New Guy.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 11:40:14 AM »
Welcome to the Administorum!

Things are still kind of a mess right now as far as the Epic is concerned. Goes to show what happens when I try to start a battle and then my job interferes. I have the Guidelines nearly done. They just need a few finishing touches and they'll be up. In the meantime, feel free to hang around and see if any of the other active battles interest you, and let me know if you have any questions.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2010, 11:55:06 AM »
Sounds awesome.  I'll be checking things out for sure.

How to new characters get integrated once I've made my characters?  It'd probably be a bit awkward jumping in during some major event or battle.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2010, 12:32:08 PM »
I have a few plot points set aside for bringing in new characters once the current fight is complete.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 03:10:50 PM »
Welcome!

Sounds like you'll fit in well here.  The epic battle is the most longstanding that we have, running the course of the multiple sites we've lived on.  The other battles can be just as fun, if not more low key. 

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:05 PM »
I found you guys through the WC3 map, actually.  I'm deployed in Afghanistan right now, and don't have much of an internet connection. 

Props to you there man, just seperated from the military myself.  What branch are ya?  Also in regards to the two characters you mentioned, either sounds like it would work but to let you know, got like 2 different people right now that work around demons, one that consumes them and uses their power and another one who has a demon lord in his sword, so if you are going for a more....unique type character the wizard would prolly be a better choice but just my 2 bits :)
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2010, 06:44:21 PM »
Lol, funny how going with a Wizard here is considered a unique choice...  Bunch of odd balls we are...

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »
@Kith: Well... a weird choice for epic anyway. If the Legion BB gets any more mages, I just might throw up.

@Jorumn: Welcome! Glad to see someone new around here!

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:07:12 PM »
going with a wizard for the epic BB would be uniqueish....im not counting what the other BB's have in them since those characters are not flagged as Epic BB characters (no thats not a jab at either of the other BB's so please dont kill me Faidth).

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 09:37:39 PM »
No offense taken! It would be quite unique to have a mage in Epic BB as there aren't exactly many "casting types." Lots of people that use abilities and transformations, but not necessarily magic of sorts.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2010, 03:40:00 AM »
Hey wow! Pleased to meet you :D

Technically, from what I know, the Epic BB never ends  :o

I found this place through Soul Reaver's maps too :) So hey, we've already got something in common!
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2010, 05:23:31 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!  Think I'll stick the caster in Epic BB then when I get the chance.  I have a load of possible characters for the less epic BBs to choose from, so once I get the hang of things here, I'll probably join up on some others.

As for military branch, Army.  As soon as my contract's up though, I'm out.  I miss my hair! :P

Well, "finish" an RPG isn't my goal I suppose, more just consistently finishing story arcs.  There was only one board I went to where we managed to finish an entire story arc, and even then, it required a lot of ghosting on the GM's part.  And to keep others running smoothly, I had to take up a lot of additional characters to fill slots.

Glad I'm not the only guy who found it through the WC3 maps.  Chapter V also convinced me to go buy Kamelot - Karma.  I'm all about hair metal (synthesizers for the win). :D

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2010, 07:00:05 AM »
Legion Immortalis!

You won't regret it :D Kamelot's releasing their latest album in september 12 or so. www.poetryforthepoisoned.com to preorder. their direction has changed and become a lot darker and more 'real' now though, so just take note of that. Never heard Hair metal myself, but I'm willing to give it a try!

I'll private message you more about that subject though :)

And strange, I thought it'd be better to try my hand at the non-epic BBs before going into the epic ones, heh.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2010, 10:11:33 AM »
Well, "finish" an RPG isn't my goal I suppose, more just consistently finishing story arcs.
The Eye of Terror has pretty much been the never ending story arc. Mostly my fault. It's going to be my job to finish the damn thing.  :P

Speaking of which... I appear to be in the wrong thread.  :-X

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »
I hear ya man, military isnt for everyone.  What's your AFSC or whatever the Army may call it (your job title).  I was an Electrical and Environmental technician on the A-10's.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »
No offense taken! It would be quite unique to have a mage in Epic BB as there aren't exactly many "casting types." Lots of people that use abilities and transformations, but not necessarily magic of sorts.

Yeah, that's right.  Can't think of any magic-user characters in the epic BB... nope, none at all.... ;)

Anyway, welcome to The Administorum!  As soon as some of our Battle Masters wake up we should have some cool stuff going on.  Glad to hear that it was To the Bitter End that piqued your interest!

Oh, and I'm very interested to hear more about your art skills.  Do you have any images online somewhere I could take a look at?

PS: Chapter VIII is coming along very well...

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:57 PM »
Where you from stateside Sam?

I'm former Army Reserve 37F.  I currently run the Misthaven BB although it's coming along slow at the moment.  Eventually I may open up some room to add new members.  You can check out the suggestions forum to read more about it. 

I can only imagine how much it could blow in Afghanistan based on my experiences in Iraq when it comes to internet access.

My plans are to post my introduction soon also and let everyone know about me more too.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 12:08:34 AM »

Yeah, that's right.  Can't think of any magic-user characters in the epic BB... nope, none at all.... ;)

Anyway, welcome to The Administorum!  As soon as some of our Battle Masters wake up we should have some cool stuff going on.  Glad to hear that it was To the Bitter End that piqued your interest!

Oh, and I'm very interested to hear more about your art skills.  Do you have any images online somewhere I could take a look at?

PS: Chapter VIII is coming along very well...

Well everyone uses magic in one form or another but we dont really have any "pure" mage/wizard

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 02:11:33 AM »
Your job is way cooler than mine, haha!  I'm the "supply guy" that people annoy to get stuff they need.  Lots of paper pushing and forklifting.

Stateside, I'm from Utah (before anyone asks, no I'm not Mormon :P ).  Yeah, Afghanistan sucks, but I recently moved from Kandahar, which was a constant roasting sandstorm, up to Bagram.  My situation has improved vastly, and I'll be stateside in less than 15 days, in which time I will no doubt be drinking and hiding with my "Fortress of Solitude" (girlfriend's bossoms) once again.

I haven't uploaded the best of my stuff, since most of it isn't digital just yet.  Once I hit stateside, I'll take photos of my art school projects (too big to scan) and post them.  Some of the other stuff I can dig up though I made when I was about 16 or 17 (22 now).  I don't think it will be the best representation, but I can show you a couple quick sketches I made for my past RPs once Photobucket stops their maintenance.

Haha, well, I hope Jorumn can manage to be an interesting addition with his castiness.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 02:49:22 PM »
Here we go!  These are all terrible examples, but it's what I could dig up on my laptop.

This is a sketch of one of the villains we had in a Megaman X RPG, holding his deactivated beam sabers while looking ominous in general.
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb413/Gederoth/Infinity_by_Gederoth.jpg

I was experimenting with some of the RP characters on an old Final Fantasy RP board, and thought I'd try a comic-like approach to it.
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb413/Gederoth/Nightfall_Beckons_Draft_by_Gederoth.jpg

And this is my old sig for a WoW guild board.  I was a tauren warrior, as you can see.  I'm proud of the coloring job and line art, but I made the horns uneven (didn't realize until later), and apparently I didn't care to make decent fire effects on his shoulders at the time.
http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb413/Gederoth/Tauren_Warrior_by_Gederoth.jpg

With the new WACOM tablet I'll be getting though, I won't have to look at the screen and hope my hands do the right thing.  I'll be able to draw right on it!  ;D