Battle Related Forums > Board Battle Suggestions/Creation

New Battle Idea: The Calling

(1/6) > >>

Kitharsis:
Setting:
Treymara is a land dotted with Castles and Keeps.  Knights and Lords take post and rely on their sword arm and quick feet to protect their lands.  Large trade cities filter merchants and tradesmen in and out on a regular basis.  The horse is the preferred method of travel, and oxen still rule the caravan.  Small towns and villages rely on strong backs and long days to make it through life.  When the trade caravans pass through, stories from the more untraveled roads bring reports of monsters attacking the unlucky.  Everyone knows a guy, who's sister's cousin heard that their brother's wive's uncle saw a monster once.  Terrible creatures, so they say.

However absurd these stories are, the number of them has been rising lately.

Most of the folk you meet on Treymara are quite common.  Cooks, farmers, innkeepers, blacksmiths and all manner of people just doing what they can to get by.  Most Treymarians are not born under a lucky star, or blessed with a crazy uncle well versed in rituals and alchemy.  No, most people keep out of trouble and high tail it at the first sign of danger.

It is a good thing you are not common.  You are the ones that travel without a horse.  Some of you don't even carry weapons.  Some are warm in the winter without a coat, while others sleep underwater when you don't want to be disturbed.  And that is just the beginning.

Magic/Powers:
There are no typical wizards or clerics living on Treymara, in a sense.  There are no wizard academies or abbots where Paladins train.  No, there are only Callers.

A select few individuals on Treymara are born with three parts.  Three souls, if you believe in that sort of thing.  The first and foremost is the human soul.  This is the dominant part of their being.  They have human features, human emotions, human dreams, desires and fears.  But along with their humanity, they have two extra parts.

The second soul is the soul of an element.  They are drawn towards it and it is drawn towards them.  As they grow, so does their affinity for the element.  Some have been know to spring fire from their fingertips, or freeze a cup of water by mistake.  If honed, this second part of their being can become a very powerful tool.

The third soul is the soul of a beast.  The nature of the beast manifests itself in different ways.  Some reflect on their beast physically, while others take on the mannerisms of the animal.  Bears sometimes like to sleep in, or are hardy, broad individuals.  Dragons, on the other hand can be fierce and intelligent.  Wolves favor loyalty and hawks have the keenest eyesight imaginable.  Like their elemental soul, as the individual hones it, their animal becomes stronger.

Combining the three souls into one body creates a powerful and complicated being.  Tri-Men, Callers, Devils, Angels - people have many names for these individuals born with three souls.  They are lauded as heroes and saviors one day, and cursed as demons the next.

The ultimate ability of these three souled individuals is The Calling.  This is the union of man, element and beast.  When this occurs the Caller is drawing upon their full potential.  Their power is enhanced tenfold, and their adversaries stand little chance.  The Calling decides wars, topples kingdoms and alters history.  It also comes at a heavy price.

Plot:
This battle will focus on the actions of a handful of Callers.  Initially they will be following a band of monster hunters, or defending an outlying castle from the increasing raids from the growing threat of monsters.  Callers can have a difficult time of hiding their abilities, so once they reach a certain age they typically take to wandering.  The stars align and the bones fall in such a way that the participants of the battle all end up at the right place to be recruited for the initial endeavor.

Depending on the success of this preliminary story, we can continue on or say, "Eh, nice try."  It's been a while since I've hosted a battle.  If you have any suggestions I'll consider them.  I'm flexible on the setting also.  We can add a few decades/centuries and bring in cannons and muskets if your heart is set on it.  If this doesn't take off I'll be forced to continue writing the little novel I had going with a similar idea.  I just couldn't kick the thought that it would make an interesting battle while I was writing it.  So here it goes.

Archdemon Stu:
"Oh hey, an update... wait... Kith's making a battle?!" I gotta' admit, I was in before I even read it.  Now that I've actually read it, I don't think I can stop myself from brainstorming a character.  Going to need to make someone cool-headed and calm to move away from only writing flesh-eating-manic-anger-issues ghouls, and a stoic barbarian that never really got the opportunity to take off.

Probably a ranged caster, archer, or support-ish person...

All tangents aside, I'm in.

Radobe:
I like what you have going.  What I would like to suggest is either a list or some sort of a definition to what an element is and a more detailed explanation on how it works. For example, when you say “drawn towards”, is that subtle or does it show in a way? Is it based on the individual or the strength of his affinity? I think I know where you are going with all this but I can’t get a clear picture from what you have given, even so I am interested and if you are doing it I would love to join in.

Shadow Chorus:
I do like the idea. And it'll be fun to only have one character to handle and let somebody else control every other npc  ;D.

I've already got ideas in my brain. I may revive the barbarian I had written for faidth's battle that never took off, or if we enter the era of gunpowder I could make a marksman.

Kitharsis:
I'm flattered that you all like the idea! 

I wrote a more detailed explanation for character creation before typing up the summary above.  So I had that fresh on my mind while whipping up the summary if anything is unclear.  There are a few details that I need to solidify and be satisfied with before posting them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version