Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Eye of Terror: End of Terror  (Read 89242 times)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
Re: The Eye of Terror: End of Terror (Part I)
« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2018, 01:15:35 AM »
Gulgrim wasn't surprised his attempts at shooting the book hadn't worked, but he needed to test the limits of what this spikey git was capable of. As several of his boulders were rebounded back toward him, Gulgrim let them come, soaring toward him before he unleashed a bellowing shout, the force of the WAAAGH!!! Energy behind it sending the boulders just off course as they crashed into the ground around him, releasing their squig payloads. Each of them began to bark, ready to detonate, but stopped with a quick shout from their warboss.

"Oi! You lot! 'Old off. I'z got planz for ya." He picked up two of the bomb squigs and set them both on his shoulders. To the rest, he gave a directional wave, and they began to sprint and leap towards the shards headed toward Gulgrim, detonating and sending them scattering away from him. With two explosive squigs remaining on his shoulders, Gulgrim takes off in a sprint toward the book. "Let's see 'ow ya like wot 'appens ta yer book now, spikey git!" the Ork bellowed. Headlong he rushed, dashing over scattered debris and launches himself into the air toward the tome floating in the room, and just as he was about to reach the book....

There was a flash of green, and suddenly the Warboss was falling. Falling toward the ground. Some glowing spheres of light are falling alongside him, just below him, all of them racing downward. But between the orbs and the ground was a sorcerer with a black staff. Grabbing a bomb squig in each hand, Gulgrim careened toward Ahriman, dropping like a stone toward the chaos sorcerer, just behind the magical spheres of the Serry-fim. Just before he would reach his position, he threw the squig in his organic hand at the tome, its fuse winding down as it reached near the book, and with that hand freed he would then reach out to try to grab the Sorcerer and slam the explosive squig in his Cybork hand into his face, fully intending to take the explosion, which would certainly ruin his metallic arm, and more likely take the sorcerer with it if he couldn't protect himself in time.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2018, 11:01:47 AM »
The tiny skeleton atop his shoulders has been weaving signs and gathering energy as soon as Ahriman had reappeared.  It is preparing a spell meant for Ahriman and his book.  Slowing down or holding Ahriman's body might leave the book vulnerable, giving them the chance to take care of it.  The spell continues to gather strength as time goes by.

As the squig filled boulders come flying their direction, Kitharsis beats his wings and leaps into the air.  Glowing crimson tendrils of energy swat down the boulders careening toward him.  The meteors that fall from above force him to the ground again.  He is too big of a target to try and dodge them in the air.

Kitharsis lands heavily next to Danyael and Mary.  As his feet touch down bags of sand hanging from his belt spill open.  The sand mixes with his own crimson energy and creates a reactive, curving barrier above them.  It should suffice to block the explosive meteors heading their way.

"The little mage is preparing a holding spell."  Kitharsis attempts to relay to Danyael.  "I think we need to destroy that book, or at least contain it somehow."  His brow furrows.  "I would just destroy it, but given the situation that may be unwise..."

The tiny skeleton hops onto Danyael's back, continuously weaving its signs.  Worry marks Kitharsis's face as the mage peers back at him from Danyael's shoulders. 

Be careful with him.

With that Kitharsis rushes out from under the barrier, leaving it standing to protect Danyael and Mary for the time being. 

As Jharm charges and rains down holy orbs onto the Sorcerer, Kitharsis approaches from Ahriman's flank.  Tendrils of crimson energy sprawl out from his arms as heavy footfalls carry him forward.  He lashes out with them, a web of searing energy attempting to tear into the Sorcerer.  Following closely behind, Kitharsis intends to keep on Ahriman's tail if he flees, or engage in melee if he stands and fights.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #102 on: April 07, 2018, 12:01:05 AM »
Danyael, instinctively steps in front of Kitharsis, strategically putting both his friend and Mary behind him. But his friend had already raised a barrier in their defense and the Nephilim lord took a small, rare moment of respite to catch his breath. The numbers of possibilities were already spinning by as Kitharsis provides his plan. ”Destroying it might prove more difficult, considering the circumstances.” he mused, ”But to take it away. Seal it from him.” his eyes went to the skeleton mage, but his thoughts went to the everworld cloak, now a hardened and barbed cocoon around the unconscious Mary.

”Be careful with him.”

He didn’t know whether Kitharsis was referring to either Danyael, the mage or both. He might as well have been, considering that what they were about to do was yet another batshit crazy plan. But that was just the style of such a pair.

An echo stealthily fizzled into the fray from behind the trio, discreetly pulling Mary’s unconscious form from the cloak. In the same instant she was out, Danyael dashed into action just as Kitharsis leaps back into the forefront, the everworld cloak chasing after him, tracing his movements with the eeriness of a shadow. The little mage clinging to Danyael’s collar for dear life, its little legs flapping about almost as frequently as the clattering of its teeth – even moreso after Danyael broke what might pass for the sound barrier as his alacrity pulsed further, putting him right beside Ahriman, joining Kitharsis and Jharm in the melee. Though Danyael could not understand the little creature, it wouldn’t surprise him if the mage was still invoking the incantations necessary to exact their plan.

But in that instant, Danyael split into two. One an echo and the other the Nephilim Lord himself, the latter of which darting backward with the mage, grabbing hold of the everworld cloak while the echo continued onward with the Orchid Howl and Yamato in hand. At the same moment the blades slashed omnidirectionally toward Ahriman, the Nephilim lord tackled the book with the everworld cloak, the living garment wrapping its tendrils around the relic as fast and voraciously as possible.

In the same instant, the skeleton mage’s chattering came full stop when its little jaws opened wide in a silent scream, the misty energies subtly surging around it the entire time now bursting into the spectrum, forming rune inscribed brands around the everworld cloak, locking into place in the form of a segmented, complex tesseract frame. If this gambit were to go off as close as planned, the combined efforts of the everworld cloak and the mage-inducted seal, would keep Ahriman separate from his source long enough for the companions to engage an effective counter.

The skeleton mage hopped atop the tesseract, its little jaws chattering and clicking about as its feet continued what many would perceive as a victory jig. Far from it. the little creature bounced the tesseract up and down much like a basketball, dribbling it with every hop in what was intended to be out of Ahriman’s reach while the companions engaged.  In this, the chattering almost did sound like taunting, though he knew the mage was still chanting the spell. But considering how the mage operated, even pointing a small bony figure at the enemy, it may as well have been tossing jibes at Ahriman, like: You ugly! You yo daddy's son!

The Nephilim Lord took a three-point stance and launched back into the fray, unleashing a continuing fusillade of rapid fire kicks and strikes alongside his echo – both with the intent of turning the tide in as many ways as possible. But he kept in the back of his mind that this was a gamble on inducted by himself and his dear friend, Kitharsis. But then again, when he and Kith had a plan, it always cascaded into working itself out. Because this hot-mess just upgraded to a whole new insanity.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 10:29:06 PM by Danyael »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #103 on: April 19, 2018, 05:10:43 PM »
Sepher uses his speed to avoid most of the meteors, using his shield to deflect any that he was unable to outmaneuver. While doing this, he keeps an eye on Ahriman, waiting for another opportunity to strike.

Cameron uses both his psychic and elemental powers to direct the flaming meteors away from him. He sees Soul Reaver ahead of him, defending himself from the same attack. It is clear that he will soon be overwhelmed. Cameron hesitates for a moment, but then leaps into the air above Soul Reaver, pulling the rest of the meteors away from him and hurling them off to either side. He then lands with a shuddering thud next to the Immortal warrior.

“Come on. Keep up. We need to come up with a plan.”

Scorn and contempt radiates from Ahriman’s very being as the Seraphim shouts at him. As the holy orbs appear above him, Ahriman gestures skyward and barks more words of power. A latticework of chaos energy appears above him, causing the holy bolts to disperse harmlessly as they strike it. This frees up Ahriman to counter Jharm’s hammer charge with a crimson shield that he manifests from nowhere.

I was really hoping for some actual theological debate with you regarding the nature of this Plane. But you have unfortunately chosen to stoop to the lowest possible form of rebuttal, used only by the weak-minded and those who know that they are wrong but refuse to admit any form of defeat.

Ahriman throws his arm forward, turning the shield into a wave of energy that throws the Seraphim backwards.

"The ‘I am not X, you are X’ rebuttal! The most childish of arguments. I am honestly surprised that you didn’t follow that up by questioning my parental lineage. Boring! What a waste!

Ahriman points a finger at Jharm, clearly intending to continue his diatribe, but he spots Kitharsis moving towards his flank. In an instant, he has shifted position to meet the warrior head on.

Why do you all insist on making this difficult on yourselves? I only need ONE of your souls. The sooner I get one, the sooner the rest of you can go and get on with the remains of your pitiful existence!

Kitharsis lashes out with his tendrils. Ahriman counters each attack with a spin of the Black Staff. An aura of powerful anti-magic around the staff seem to force the tendrils away from it, causing most of them to miss their mark. A few still strike home, scarring Ahriman’s armor but only causing minor damage to Ahriman himself.

Maybe you would like to be the sacrifice, Tirthandaran? Your soul burns bright within you. Just give it up and I promise I will allow your friends to escape this Plane-

Ahriman’s words fall short as he senses another attack on the Book of Magnus. The one called Danyael has wrapped some kind of artifact cloak around it. The anti-matter shields prevent the Everworld Cloak from actually making contact with the Book, but Ahriman suddenly finds his connection to it weakened. For the first time since the fight started, Ahriman’s voice betrays concern.

You there! Just what are you intending to do with that little blanket? You cannot cut me off from my Book so easily-

Ahriman’s words die on his lips a second time as an object that war hurled from above him strikes the book and explodes. This does nothing, since the anti-matter spells and the added protection of the Everworld Cloak nullify the force of the explosion. But it does cause Ahriman to look skyward, too late, since the falling Ork that hurled the Squig had already landed behind him, with another Squig in his hand.

Ahriman has no chance to react before he is grabbed by Gulgrim. The Squig is smashed into his face and explodes, throwing himself and the Ork apart violently. Ahriman hits the ground and tumbles end over end a few times before coming to rest. His right arm is gone. The faceplate of his helmet is smashed and strange colored blood spurts from the cracks. His armor is rent and torn in various places, with the chest plate almost entirely caved in. And yet, he struggles to his feet.

No… no matter… I’ll just…

His connection to the Book is gone.

What.

Ahriman’s one remaining good eye focuses on the Book of Magnus. It is still wrapped in the cloak, which is now also wrapped in a powerful tesseract. A small skeleton dances on top of it. Ahriman stares at it.

WHAT.

Before he can react further, he is struck by multiple Danyaels. He is powerless to do much of anything as he is buffeted by strikes and kicks. He is driven into a pillar, and as Danyael and his echo continue to flurry, driven into the pillar. But just when it seems like maybe Ahriman is down for the count, the Black Staff suddenly reappears in his remaining hand.

ENOUGH!!!

Ahriman hurls the staff, and as it leaves his hand, his body disappears. A wisp of smoke follows the Staff as it rockets across the chamber in the direction of the massive rune. Just as it is about to hit the rune, the smoke reforms into Ahriman, who catches the Staff. He is still battered and bloody, but is also still very much alive.

Very smart. Cutting me off from the Book prevents me from reviving myself. Very clever of you to figure that out. But you will not keep me from my tome for long.

Letting the staff float beside him, Ahriman stretches a hand towards the rune. It reacts, unleashing a torrent of souls in his direction. A ripple of force erupts from him as he absorbs them into him. The cracks and holes in his armor mend, and his missing arm is replaced by strange tangle of metal and flesh that form into an arm and a hand. He raises his staff and shouts, and the entire chamber is suddenly engulfed in a massive maelstrom of wind, rocks, and debris, making it difficult to move and even harder to see. Lightning crackles throughout the storm, randomly lashing out at the Companions. Ahriman uses the distraction as cover while he turns his attention to the Book, the tesseract, and the skeleton mage.

I already informed you once that the time for games is over. RETURN MY PROPERTY TO ME IMMEDIATELY.

Ahriman lunges forward, screaming words of power. At the same time, the Book of Magnus begins to move under it’s own power, speeding towards it’s owner, with the skeleton mage hanging on for dear life. Ahriman completes his spell, and a sphere of anti-magic appears in his hands. He stops short and hurls it at the approaching book. Should the sphere and the book meet, both the tesseract and the skeleton mage will be unmade.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #104 on: April 19, 2018, 06:43:22 PM »
The gleaming form of the Seraphim flies backwards from the Chaos Sorcerers attack, the holy warrior skidding across the floor before he comes to a stop. Glaring up at the Sorcerer, Jharm is about to respond when he is "interrupted" by Kitharsis' attack.  He watches as a slew of attacks unfold on both Ahriman and the vile Tome until a massive explosion envelops the area as the Ork Warboss unleashes his "attack".  Shielding himself against the dust and debris from the explosion he watches as the seemingly broken and battered form of the Chaos leader continues his diatribes and attacks, culminating in unleashing a massive wind and lightning storm as he releases some form of anti-magic shell towards the floating Book of Magnus.

"Fine Ahriman....tell me of your perfected "theology" that somehow involves and validates annihilating millions of innocent lives!"

As the Seraphim speaks he erects a shield around himself and launches himself forward, soaring over the Tome, aimed directly for the incoming anti-magic shell and, should he not falter, the Chaos Sorcerer himself, the Seraphs hammer glowing a brillant white as he seems intent on ending this "debate" as soon as possible.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 07:30:40 AM by Jharm »
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #105 on: April 20, 2018, 03:24:46 AM »
Gulgrim ground to a halt a few moments after his reckless tactic sent him and the Chaos Sorcerer soaring away from each other. As he sat up, burnt flesh already beginning to peel away with fresh green emerging beneath, the Warboss looked over to his right arm to see only a torn wreckage, sparking wires and rent metal all that remained of his Cybork arm.

"Feh." The Ork spat. Good thing he made replacement arms. That was the kind of brutal kunnin' that put him ahead of other warbosses; forethought for what happens if a plan goes haywire. No time to proverbially pat himself on the back though (Dat wuz gonna be 'ard anyway wif only one hand. Can't pat and smash at the same time, and you'z a grot if you'z fink I'z gonna pat instead o' smash.), as Ahriman was far from finished. The sorcerer rudely undid most of the damage Gulgrim had done to him, and even brought back his missing arm in some spikey git attempt to copy an Ork's regeneration.

Well, if he was going to be disrespectful like that, that display had given the Ork an idea.

Gulgrim stood up and dusted himself off with his remaining arm, then fixed his Orky glare on the spot where his other arm used to be. There was a moment of intense focus, and with a sound like a house of glass shattering in a lightning storm, slowly a replacement came into being. Green energy slowly knitted the metallic arm into being, but this one was slightly different. Gulgrim seemed to be grafting the arm from his Stompy Suit onto his shoulder directly as a temporary replacement. The massive death machine of an arm that came into existance was almost comically oversized, even on the titanic warboss, but it bristled with guns and a nasty power klaw just waiting to be used. Giving the arm an experimental rotation and scissoring the claw open and shut a few times, the Ork proceeded to stomp forward to the fight again.

"Oi! Spikey Grot!" Gulgrim shouted over the gale, a green shield of crackling energy battering aside debris and lightning as he pushed his way through the wall of wind. "You'z ain't done wif me yet!"

Gulgrim fired a warning shot to get Ahriman's attention. The Ork's idea of a warning shot was a salvo of heavy Kannon fire from his replaced arm aimed in the general vicinity of Ahriman's torso, but to an Ork such a lethal display was the best kind of warning one could give.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2018, 11:10:03 PM »
Soul Reaver is about to buried beneath a shower of flaming rock when the projectiles suddenly slow in mid-air, then hurl themselves harmlessly aside.  The ground shakes as Cameron lands next to him.

"Come on. Keep up. We need to come up with a plan."

Soul Reaver allows himself a moment to glance in his direction, giving a thin smile as he does so.

"We may already have one" he murmurs, indicating the tesseract-enclosed book.

"But just in case that fails, I have a backup plan.  Irrespective, we have to destroy Ahriman again!"

As Ahriman fights off the combined attacks from Kitharsis, Danyael, Gulgrim and Jharm, his shouts of anger confirm that the book is key to his continued resurrection.  However, before Soul Reaver can close in to assist in slaying him, Ahriman unleashes a whirlwind of debris and lightning, forcing the warrior down to his knees.  The sphere of his Protection spell flares as a random arc of lighting coruscates over its surface and small rocks ricochet off harmlessly.  Half-covering his eyes against the dust, Soul Reaver spots the angelic glow surrounding Jharm's hammer as the Seraphim launches himself straight at Ahriman.

Gritting his teeth, Soul Reaver extends his left arm, palm facing forward, and speaks words of magic.  His hand is suffused in a green glow as emerald Power Bolts begin firing from his hand in a rapid torrent.  He is not aiming for Ahriman - instead, the bolts are fired with pinpoint accuracy at the large chunks of rock and debris that, shield or no, threaten to swat Jharm out of the air.  If he could clear a path for the Seraphim, perhaps Jharm could crush Ahriman before the sorcerer could free the book.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 01:25:37 AM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2018, 09:29:52 AM »
It worked.

It worked!

Kitharsis watches the tiny skeleton mage as it jeers in triumph atop the Book of Magnus.  Ahriman's reaction is telling.  Separating him from the Book is a priority.  Yet the rune also powers Ahriman in a similar matter.  It will have to be dealt with, but first things first.

Ahriman's rebuttal is swift, as expected.  A maelstrom engulfs the entire chamber and randomly throws out bolts of lighting at the companions.  Kitharsis curls the bony wings in front of him.  Worse for the wear, they strain under the power of the storm as Kitharsis plans his next move.  He frowns as he sees the glow of the tesseract being pulled toward Ahriman.  The Sorceror's innate connection to the book is overpowering both the tesseract and the Everworld Cloak.

The skull tattoo on Kitharsis's forearm flares to life.  Its glow pierces through the maelstrom like a beacon.  In a flash of crimson energy a pile of skeleton mages appear on the Book of Magnus.  The tesseract is barely visible underneath the mass of bones clambering all over the Book.  The original little mage chatters away at the newcomers, and they waste no time in springing to action. 

The mages scuttle all over the tesseract, covering it from all sides.  They stick their bony palms out, which begin to glow with focused magic.  Jets erupt out of their palms all at once, attempting to counter Ahriman's pull on the book and to dodge the anti-matter sphere.  They have faith in Jharm's shield, but evasive maneuvers couldn't hurt.  If they are successful, they will work in unison to play keep away from Ahriman if he chooses to follow after them.

Meanwhile Kitharsis has exhausted a great amount of energy in summoning so many mages at once.  He has taken a knee, trying to regain his composure.  His bony wings have started to break apart in the maelstrom, large pieces of bone breaking off of them as the larger pieces of debri crash into them.  The faintly glowing web of energy holding the wings together is wearing thin as well.  He grits his teeth, hoping the little mages are able to give the others enough time to destroy Ahriman while he is seemingly mortal.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2018, 12:31:16 PM »
“You there! Just what are you intending to do with that little blanket? You cannot cut me off from my Book so easily-”

Danyael and his echoes, even the one holding Mary, barked in unison, “I intend to tuck you in, motherfucker!”. A small smirk creased across his face when witnessing what might have been surprise from Ahriman as the sorcerer finally noticed the work of Kitharsis and the Nephilim Lord’s tactic. With all attacks hailing down on Ahriman from all fronts, it wasn’t too hard to see the desperation start to sink in. And that was where things became worrisome, for there has never been someone who didn’t become dangerous upon the onset of desperation.

The energies seen through Danyael’s eyes witnessed the full fury of energies screaming throughout the chamber as the summoned storm blazed into materialization. It was dazzling, miraculous and almost blinding, if one could pardon the pun of irony. But energy was Danyael’s sight now. And energy being used throughout the room only made things easier for him to perceive. It was then that he saw what he perceived as a void mass streaking through the air on a direct course to the tesseract. He could only deduce this was an anti-field of sorts. Perhaps something to counterbalance or counteract energy. An anti-magic assault.

The echo alongside Danyael, Yamato and Orchid Howl in hand, darted after the sorcerer, while Danyael leapt the distance to Kitharsis. Kneeling in front of his friend, a set of golden seraphic wings sprouted wide and enclosed around both men in the same moment. The light pulsing from the Nephilim lord to the tirthandaran to such degree that they both glowed the same brilliant hue of beaming platinum. “I’ve got you, brother.” The Nephilim lord said in a slightly exhausted huff, his hands clasping Kitharsis’ shoulders, pushing a portion of healing energies into his friend. He knew this would weaken him a moment, but his healing factor would kick in not long after and he’d be back in the battle. At least, that was the plan.

The sword wielding echo nearly caught up to Ahriman, his speed increasing with every dashing step, until his was practically soaring, only for him to whiz past the sorcerer with a sound barrier shattering boom, strafing into the slipstream of the anti-magick sphere. Then he strafes past the sphere with an additional surge of speed, with only seconds left to act, skidding hard before dashing directly into the path of the sphere itself, tossing the Yamato and Orchid Howl aside just before directly impacting with the sphere. As the echo and the sphere collide, the swords harmlessly clatter to opposing sides across the room. Danyael himself feels the sudden jolt of temporary impact, forcing him to falter slightly enough to notice, though the healing process continues. “Fucking hate it when that happens.” He snarled, exhaustion unhidden, hinting that this wasn’t the first time he had to use an echo as a meatshield.

The Echo holding Mary leapt even further away from the fight, landing a good enough distance to defend, but also to survey the battle in full. Silver scaled seraphic wings sprouted from his back to fully encompasse both himself and Mary, holding her close and secure, his hands softly releasing a subtle extension of healing warmth.

Meanwhile, the mages continued their own contest against one another, the air around them a cacophony of conflicting clicks and chatters as they each pulled the tesseract in every direction. Some heaved in one way while others ho’ed in another to the point where they were unwittingly building momentum, the tesseract being moved even further, faster and more erratically in randomly irritating directions. Well, irritating to Ahriman, at the least. Soon, they were a white blotch of motion and noise, scurrying in quick bursts of unpredictable flinging about. The chattering became so loud that some may as well have been insults hurled at each other, with a few raspberries spurting audible enough as well. But the more they yammered on, the more they pulled and pushed. They more they pulled and pushed, the more their movement snowballed. The more their movement snowballed, the faster they moved, as if they were unexpectedly using gravity as a high-powered slingshot… from every angle.
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2018, 09:04:39 PM »
A horrible laugh rings through the chamber as Jharm launches forward. He had just said the magic words.

Oh really? Are you finally ready to have an actual theological debate with me? How enticing!

It sounds so enticing, in fact, that Ahriman decides wasting the opportunity by allowing the Seraphim to be annihilated by the anti-magic sphere before reaching him is absolutely out of the question. He was hoping that Jharm would have already been knocked aside and out of the sphere’s path by the flying debris of his storm, but well-timed bolts fired by Soul Reaver keep Jharm free of danger and on track to impact the sphere head on. So Ahriman takes matters into his own hands.

With a gesture, the sphere splits into two halves mere seconds before impacting Jharm. The halves glide harmlessly past him on either side before slamming back together and resuming their previous trajectory behind him.

Before Jharm can adjust or attempt to redirect himself, he slams directly into Ahriman, who has counter-attacked to close the gap between the two. The Seraphim’s hammer again meets the Black Staff, and again the two weapons grind to a stalemate, locking Jharm and Ahriman into a spiral as neither can push the other back.

My perfected theology does not assume that the billions of lives that will be lost are innocent. There are some, yes. Small children, too young to think for themselves. Creatures that are not sentient and therefore cannot be corrupted. Those are regrettable losses. Collateral damage.

As Ahriman continues to focus on keeping Jharm at arm’s length, he still has part of his mind locked on the anti-magic spell. The Book of Magnus, seeming to act on its own accord, adjusts its trajectory to avoid debris from the maelstrom, and Ahriman makes adjustments to the trajectory of the sphere to compensate. The two are seconds away from colliding with each other.

Everyone else is tainted. EVERYONE. Even you. Even myself, before I discovered the means to purge myself. Everyone in this plane of existence suffers from the taint of uncontrolled Chaos, and it influences their daily actions whether they realize it or not. I can control Chaos. Use it to shape order. Use it to make a perfect system, a perfect society. But I cannot build my perfect world on weakened bedrock. I must demolish this crumbling foundation and clear the way for a new, unblemished construct that can bear the weight of this new era without fear of faltering. This is the only way.

Ahriman frowns. He can still feel the anti-magic sphere, which should have collided with the Book of Magnus near the end of his dialogue. He glances over Jharm’s shoulder.

And you simpletons just continue to insist on WASTING MY TIME.

Tiny bone constructs. He is being foiled by a mass of tiny, chattering, bone constructs. The anti-magic sphere continues to try and seek out the Book, but the Book is no longer in control of its own flight and the bone constructs keep using magic to push the book away from the sphere. Enraged, Ahriman lashes out with the Staff, knocking Jharm away from him. He then pushes forward, intent on intercepting the Book himself and ripping the constructs from it. A figure charges past him, fast enough to leave a sonic boom in its wake, but Ahriman ignores this. The book is his only concern. Having to dodge and teleport through a heavy barrage of Ork weapon fire only serves to infuriate him further.

I GROW WEARY OF THESE POINTLESS GAMES.

Ahriman lashes out at the Book with black lightning, but the mages push the Book away at the last second and the spell misses. He lashes out again, but every time he either moves towards the Book or launches an attack at it, it randomly changes directions again. There is no rhyme or reason to what direction it takes, which makes it impossible for Ahriman to track or catch. In his rage and frustration, he barely registers that something has finally collided with the anti-magic sphere.

The echo that impacts the sphere is unmade on the spot, and the sphere is likewise destroyed by the impact. Ahriman practically howls in anger. Even if he catches the Book now, there is no longer anything to direct it to in order to free it from the tesseract. And then, on top of everything else, a massive explosion rocks the Spire from below them. Ahriman stops in his tracks.

No. It’s too soon. I thought I had more time.

Ahriman knows that he had more than enough time. These fools should have been dead well before now. But he has lost control of the situation and only has a scant few moments to turn this situation around before it spirals out of his control for good. There is no longer time to play it safe.

He hurls his Staff to the side and reaches into the depths of his armor, into a hidden dimensional pocket where he keeps his most important treasures. He pulls out a small brightly glowing sphere, suspended in two concentric rings of glass.

Our time is up. I will have my book back, and I will have it NOW.

Ahriman closes his grasp over the sphere, shattering the rings. All sound in the room is silenced as a blinding white light consumes the entire chamber. Everything made of magic is snuffed out. Artifacts stop working. Constructs are reduced to ash. Even the Chaos magic that forms the chamber itself is undone, causing the room to suddenly shrink to its normal size. The Companions suddenly find themselves much closer together than they previously were.

Ahriman falls to the ground. He himself has been completely drained of magic by the detonation of his artifact. Only three objects in the room remain unscathed.

The soul rune. The Book of Magnus. And the tesseract, which against all odds has held fast. The mass of mages surrounding the book at the time of the detonation are destroyed, but this nulifies much of the blast. The blast still manages to briefly disable the tesseract, and Ahriman shrieks with glee as the Everworld Cloak is also disrupted and falls from the book to the ground. But the tesseract had only been temporarily disabled, and it soon winks back into existance, wrapping itself even more tightly around the Book itself now that the Cloak is no longer present. Ahriman curses loudly.

Around the chamber, magical artifacts begin to recover from the anti-magical blast. The room itself begins to grow again as Warp energy rebuilds the weakened artificial reality that holds the entire Spire in place. Ahriman’s staff returns to him, and he leans heavily on it. He gestures for his Book.

Without the skeletal mages to keep it at bay, the Book has regained its own movement. It flies into Ahriman’s hands, though it is still surrounded by the tesseract. Ahriman peers into the magical patterns, looking for the best place to pull to undo this spell.

This is fine. There is still time. There is still-

Ahriman jerks forward as a massive blade slams through his back, sticking out of his chest. The Book of Magnus falls from his fingers. An eerily familiar voice rings out from behind him.

No, my old friend. Your time is over.

Ahriman tries to speak but can only gurgle and wheeze as his spirit passes from his body and into the Book, where it too becomes trapped inside the tesseract. Ahriman’s lifeless corpse slumps to the ground. The robed figure behind it rips the daemon blade Drach’nyen from his back.

Thus ends the reign of Ahriman, the traitor of traitors.

The robed figure raises its head. All that can be seen of its face are two glowing red eyes.

The Warmaster has regained the throne. The second reign of Abbadon has begun.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 11:28:01 PM by Cameron »

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2018, 10:18:51 PM »
The Seraphim briefly glances back as the anti-magic shell splits around him, colliding with the Chaos Sorcerer.  His glowing hammer slams into Ahrimans twisted staff as he speaks to Jharm.

“My perfected theology does not assume that the billions of lives that will be lost are innocent. There are some, yes. Small children, too young to think for themselves. Creatures that are not sentient and therefore cannot be corrupted. Those are regrettable losses. Collateral damage.  Everyone else is tainted. EVERYONE. Even you. Even myself, before I discovered the means to purge myself. Everyone in this plane of existence suffers from the taint of uncontrolled Chaos, and it influences their daily actions whether they realize it or not. I can control Chaos. Use it to shape order. Use it to make a perfect system, a perfect society. But I cannot build my perfect world on weakened bedrock. I must demolish this crumbling foundation and clear the way for a new, unblemished construct that can bear the weight of this new era without fear of faltering. This is the only way.”

The Seraph scowls under his helmet at hearing such words.

"Once again you seem to believe you, and ONLY you, knows "the truth" and can "fix" everything.  That, in and of itself, indicates that you're theory is flawed.  You think that you alone somehow possess some great insight that ensures that your "vision" is guaranteed to be correct.  You claim even I "suffer from the control of Chaos" and yet I am not trying to justify the slaughter of millions, the annihilation of all of existence to try and remake it in my own personal image!  You simply wish for godhood and seek to...."

His words are cut off as he is cast to the side as Ahriman moves to directly retrieve his book.  Just as he gets back to his feet, Ahriman crushes the small sphere in his hand.  White light washes over everything in the room, the Seraphim collapsing to the ground, his hammer crashing to the ground.  For a few moments he struggles to get up, his armor and weapon seeming to suddenly feel as if they weigh tons, an almost eerie silence in his mind as his connection to the Light is briefly severed.  Soon though he regains control of himself, glancing up with anger at Ahriman...to see a sword suddenly punch through the Sorcerers chest.  A figure behind the stricken spellcaster speaks.

“No, my old friend. Your time is over."

Jharms glowing eyes settle on a figure, covered in a black robe standing behind Ahriman.   His eyes then travel down to the weapon piercing through Ahrimans chest as it is pulled out and the spellcasters body slumps to the ground, his soul trapped inside the Book now.  He recognizes the blade almost instantly as the robed figure speaks once more.

“Thus ends the reign of Ahriman, the traitor of traitors. The Warmaster has regained the throne. The second reign of Abbadon has begun.”

His glowing eyes lock onto the glowing red eyes as further realization sets in. 

This can't be!  That can't be Abbadon, he was massive in size!  That voice though...I know that voice...

Within his mind he works to try and "connect the dots".  An image springs to mind...the last time they had encountered Peterson.  The fallen space marine had fled after slaughtering their friend and taunting them in his own malevolent ways.

He took her....and killed her because his "employer" wanted him to.  His...employer....

The hand gripping his hammer suddenly loosens as his weapon crashes to the ground as realization courses through him.  He speaks out, the tone of his voice filled with a mixture of horror, anger, and sadness as he voices his suspicions....even though in his heart he knows that they are true.

"That's why....why you had him take her...."

Extending his hand out, his fallen weapon rises up into his grip, his hands clenching tightly as fury courses through him once more.

"You....you are a monster.  I swear by the Light that your "reign" shall not last even a day!"

The Seraphim seems about to rush in but then stops himself as he realizes that Abaddon likely both wants such a thing to happen and has likely laid some sort of trap in case it does.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2018, 10:41:57 PM by Jharm »

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #111 on: May 29, 2018, 08:12:58 PM »
Soul Reaver's Power Bolt spells whiz through the stormy air, each exploding into small green bursts of light as they strike the whirling debris and turning it into harmless gravel.  Explosions rock the chamber as Jharm, Gulgrim and Danyael work together to demolish his defenses.

He looks on in satisfaction as Ahriman's cocky assurance melts in the face of the companions' interference, but the tugging at the corner of his lips is pauses when Ahriman pulls forth the small white sphere.  Soul Reaver only barely has time to register what Ahriman has in his hand before its power is unleashed.

A white wave of antimagic washes over Soul Reaver, not completely unlike what slumbers within his own amulet.  Crude but powerful, it instantly strips away his Truesight and protective barrier.  When the wave has passed, there is a tangible feeling of emptiness in the air around him - the chamber itself seems to have shrunk, and his armour feels unusually heavy.

With some alarm Soul Reaver notes that he cannot sense Blooddrinker, and so he hefts the sword up into his hand.  But the weapon is still as unnaturally light and balanced as always, and Soul Reaver breathes an inner sigh of relief - had the binding enchantments of the sword been disrupted even momentarily, the results could have been disasterous.  Voicelessly, Soul Reaver hears Bloodrinker give a low growl as the Daemon's presence once more makes itself felt in the recesses of his mind.

Magical energy quickly comes rushing back into the room as Soul Reaver rises to his feet and begins to sprint toward Ahriman.  The sorcerer was scanning the tesseract to try and find a weakness in it, and Soul Reaver wasn't planning on letting him finish.

But then Soul Reaver skids to a halt, as a huge, familiar blade blooms from Ahriman's chest.  A sinister voice echoes through the chamber.

Soul Reaver's coutenance turns stony as he listens to that voice.

"Abbadon..."

He locks eyes with the robed figure before him, his face betraying no emotion.  He approaches slowly now, Blooddrinker gradually raising into a defensive position.

"...what has become of Kalana?"
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 08:34:39 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #112 on: June 04, 2018, 04:21:52 PM »
A rather large chunk of bone spins through the air as yet another boulder crashes into the bony wings.  The bony joint finally fails, causing half of his left wing to collapse into a pile of bone on the obsidian floor at his feet.

Danyael lands in front of him, sprouting golden wings of his own to protect them, and just in time.  Kitharsis looks up at his friend with a strained smile. 

"I've got you, brother."  Danyael huffs, seemingly no better off than Kitharsis is, at this point.

The healing energy flows through him, reinvigorating him.  Kitharsis waves Danyael away before the Nephilim wastes too much of his own energy.

"Just needed to catch my breath, no need for concern."  Kitharsis says as he rises to his feet once more.

“I GROW WEARY OF THESE POINTLESS GAMES.”  Ahriman yells, clearly exasperated with the companions efforts to thwart him.

The Chaos Sorceror pulls a trump card from inside his armor, and quickly activates it.  Kitharsis throws his arm up to shield his eyes from the blinding white light, but quickly finds himself without strength from the effect of Ahriman's artifact.

There is no spark, there is no energy.  The connection is gone, and his tattoos seem to fade to dull traces of themselves.  His eyes dart from forearm to forearm, disbelief striking his face.

A few of the less robust artifacts hanging from his belt crack and shatter into pieces, not able to keep themselves together without the aid of their magics.  And all of the warmth leaves the bags of sand that he is never without.  His belt feels all the heavier for it.

What is left of his battered and broken wings finally fails and breaks apart into dust.  Kitharsis stands bewildered, with a pile of sand and dust resting on the floor around him.

But the spark returns.

And his tattoos regain their vigor.

As the room continues to grow to its unnatural size around him he finds himself regaining his power.

Kitharsis turns to Ahriman, scowling as the Sorcerer fiddles with the Book of Magnus.  His skeletons did their job, but none survived the effects of the artifact.  A large cost in energy and companionship.

His metal boots pound heavy on the floor as Kitharsis charges toward Ahriman.  But the massive blade that pierces through the Sorceror's chest stops him short.

"Abbadon."  But not entirely...

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2018, 01:45:46 PM »
A burst of magic-shredding energy washes over the area, and Gulgrim, still firing toward Ahriman until the moment he is impaled, doesn't notice until his cybork arm, powered just as much by the WAAAGH!!! as by any technology, sparks and ceases functioning, resulting in his gunfire faltering as his right arm falls limp at his side.

Gulgrim looks over to his arm with a mildly annoyed expression, but quickly feels the energies of the WAAAGH!!! beginning to suffuse him again in the wake of the burst of magical energy. The arm would be back online in just a few moments. Still, that pulse had blown off all of the excess WAAAGH!!! that Gulgrim had built up during the fight with Ahriman, which meant that he was basically starting again from scratch as Ahriman was replaced with the more imposing figure of Abaddon.

"Feh. So da Warmaster o' da Spikey Boyz decides 'e wantz ta show 'imself, does 'e?" Gulgrim bellows from the other side of the battlefield. Lightning already was beginning to arc in sporadic bursts across his form, the anticipation of a particularly large fight replenishing his stores significantly faster than a post-combat blow-off. His arm rattled and jerked before righting itself, returned to functionality.

"Dis should be a gud fight den. No more o' dem sorcery tricks an' muckin' about." The warboss laughed heartily, thumping his chest with his restored cybork arm, still bristling with the armor and weapons of the Stompy Suit partially attached to his own Torso in place of his traditional right arm.

"Jus' a right propa fight! I'z wanna see 'ow da biggest grot o' da chaos boyz stands up ta da Avatar o' Gork n' Mork!"

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
« Reply #114 on: June 10, 2018, 12:13:40 AM »
The anti-magic explosion rocked the room and Danyael felt the effects just as clearly as the others. There was only one other echo active on the field and it was guarding Mary. The two exchanged a glance to each other, nodding in acknowledgement. Here we go again

The echo looked down to Mary, cupped in his arms. “Everything’s going to be alr-“ the echo’s voice broke into silence and he was whisked back into the fade, vanishing completely from the fray, leaving emptiness where he once knelt. The second jolt hit Danyael with hammering force, pulling him to his knees, wings slithering back beneath the slits of his flesh in a weakening quiver. He watched as the elemental was in mid descent with the floor, meekly reaching out with what little strength left to him before the healing factor kicked back in. “Mary…” the rasp of his voice hissed out just as the everworld cloak snapped back to active status, dashing back over her in a flash. It cradled her as adeptly as it was gently, whisking her back to the Nephilim lord in the same instant of contact.
At the same moment Mary is returned to his grasp, he stands tall to take note of the cloaked figure in the distance. He mentally smirked at the figure riffing the nephilim’s style, but outwardly showed no such emotions on the surface. His eyes saw a familiar array of energies. Eerily familiar. But no surprise came. No, this was disgust.

“The Warmaster has regained the throne. The second reign of Abbadon has begun.” The man said, if he could even be graced the honor of being called a man. A voice called out to Danyael from within:“And the first reign of Danyael shall begin… marked by the fall of Abbadon.” But with a twitch of will, the voice, tempting (practically irresistible) as its proposal was, the matter of finishing the fight came first. And then, they could all leave. Leaving was a great idea. Especially the prospect of leaving this entire place to be devoured by the warp. Danyael snarled, the everworld cloak levitating with Mary in its grip as the Nephilim lord reached out with both hands. The yamato and orchid howl spun back into his grip with a swirling ring, snapping back into his clad grip with a clamp of his hands. “Then let’s begin.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #115 on: July 02, 2018, 12:56:19 AM »
Cameron watches with cautious optimism as Ahriman is felled. But when he hears the voice of Abbadon, and the voice beneath Abbadon’s words, he staggers as if he has been shot. The elemental lowers his weapons. He can say or do nothing as Abbadon replies to Jharm’s threat.

“Seraphim. You cannot imagine how many times I have heard that same promise in my lifetime. It has yet to be kept.”

Abbadon’s glowing eyes swivel to Soul Reaver.

“Who are you referring to? The girl who was with you earlier? She’s dead. My… business associate killed her and devoured her soul. You watched it happen. So I don’t entirely understand this line of questioning.”

Abbadon then regards the Ork Warboss.

“It’s only fitting that you would be the only one happy to see me return. Your lust for battle is admirable. However, I am in no shape to fight.”

Within the Everworld Cloak, Mary stirs. The burst of warp energy released when the room’s enchantments kicked back in and re-established their stranglehold on local reality was enough to recharge her. She pushes against the Cloak that holds her and maneuvers herself back to the ground, next to Danyael. She rests a hand on his shoulder as she takes in her surroundings, first noting Ahriman’s corpse before turning her attention to the hooded figure standing before them.

Abbadon levels the daemon sword Drach’nyen at the Companions but takes a step backward.

“We will fight. A rematch of sorts, I suppose. But if we fought right now, it would simply be unfair. This body may be young and healthy, but I lack nearly all of my former strength. The massive amount of souls that I accumulated over centuries. You robbed me of them, and thus I am too weak to pose any sort of challenge to you."

Mary curses as she recognizes the distorted voice that Abbadon is now using. She glances back at Cameron, who has not moved since Abbadon first spoke. His eyes and expression are blank.

He’s going to be useless in this fight. I’ll have to cover for him.

Mary brings her two-handed sword into her hands, ready to move on Abbadon. She is unsure if he is bluffing about how weak he is, but if he is not, now would be the perfect time to strike. She takes a single step forward.

The moment she does so, Abbadon vanishes. He reappears next to the soul rune, floating next to it.

“I need to recover my strength. And it would seem that my former comrade has already set the table for me.”

Abbadon places his palm on the side of the rune, and the Tower shudders. Mary’s eyes widen.

“NO!”

Mary rushes forward but is tripped up by a mass of chains that suddenly burst from the floor. An untold number of chains burst from the floor and ceiling, surrounding both Abbadon and the rune. They close tight around them, forming a protective sphere of living metal. Abbadon’s voice rings out from inside of it.

“PETERSON! Here is your final assignment. Hold them off.”

The metal figure of Peterson bursts from the floor in between the Companions and the sphere. He is clearly the source of the chains, as an almost unfathomable number of them sprout from his back in every direction.

“I thought you’d never ask!”

Abbadon grins wildly, focusing on Mary.

“Hello again! Ready for Round 2?”

Peterson spreads his arms wide.The three clawed fingers on each of his hands stretch into massive claws. He is about to speak again when he is interrupted.

“You.”

Cameron steps out from behind the rest of the Companions. The Nemesis force blades he borrowed earlier are clutched in each of his gauntleted fists. His voice drips with rage, and anyone looking at him can see visible waves of heat rippling off of him. Peterson cocks his head to one side.

“Cameron? Still here? I figured you’d be off somewhere crying about your dead lover.”

Peterson grins again, winking his good eye in Cameron’s direction.

“If it makes you feel any better, I made sure that her hot body did not go to waste!”

The visor on Cameron’s helmet slams shut.

“When I’m through with you, there won’t be anything left to bury.”

Peterson shifts into a defensive stance as Cameron launches himself directly at him. Although Cameron did not do this intentionally, the head-on assault gives the rest of the Companions a chance to come up with a strategy.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 01:50:36 AM by Cameron »

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
« Reply #116 on: July 02, 2018, 05:37:56 PM »
So much happening all at once, though with Mary now at the ready, all seemed to focus inter a better perspective. The nephilim lord watch as the sorcerer spoke his prattle, his mutant eyes tracing the continuous influx of energies surrounding the tower. Abbaddon appeared a faded shade of colors, a husk of his former self. Danyael would know better than anyone that coming back from the dead took a toll on oneself, but knew all too well that this creature had already inacted if he was talking this much.

And then he saw the burst of power spray in all directions as chains erupted from the ground, forming a sphere of living metal. From Danyael's eyes, he saw the energies pulse and pump with the same rhythm of a heartbeat, but not one connected to Abbaddon. No, it was connected to another from within the ground as well - who had now broken free to the surface. The nephilim lord's eyes shifted to another shift in power as Cameron made his way to the vanguard, then widened as he watched the elemental dash directly at the man.

His alacrity took over and the world around him entered into slow motion. He pushed off his foot, erupting into full launch, placing himself directly into Cameron's slipstream as the elemental psykker rushed toward the one known as Peterson. He knew Cameron couldn't hear him, but he sent the message anyway: Rushing in? You owe me for this. because he knew, even upon success of his last minute strategy, that the price the nephilim lord was going to pay would hurt. With every step did the nephilim increase the gravity around his hands, adding the weight of his blades (and their potential force) nine-fold. Moments ticked by like seconds as he caught up to Cameron fast enough to match speed from behind until he skidded under the elemental with a spin, driving both swords upward directly at Peterson. The combined speed with built psychokinetic command over gravity combined for a potentially hard hitting upward strike.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2018, 05:22:30 PM »
"I am the Seraphim.  I always keep my "promises" Abaddon."

The Seraph scowls under his helmet as the chains appear, shielding Abaddon and the rune from interference from the Companions.  His gaze turns towards Peterson as the fallen Space Marine steps out.  Revulsion seems to almost radiate from Jharm as he listens to the "man" speak, Cameron and Danyael charging in a moment later. Dropping his hammer to the ground once more, the Seraphim places his hands together, palms facing each other.  His head bows as his figure begins to glow brightly, a shield manifesting around him.

Focus your attacks my friends, hold nothing back.  He must be defeated quickly so that we can stop that madman from using the rune.  The Light watches over and protects you all.

At this point, each of the companions are surrounded by a soft, radiant light.  While the glow fades away after a moment, the effects do not.  Strength seems to be bolstered, minds calmed, wounds begin to heal.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2018, 07:57:01 PM »
Soul Reaver's lips twist into a snarl at Abbadon's response, but he is forced to back up when the metallic chains burst from the ground and surround him - followed the arrival of Peterson.

Soul Reaver spends only a few seconds assessing the situation.  Cameron and Danyael were springing into action.  They might be enough to give him a small window of opportunity, while Jharm's soothing magics would give him the edge he would need to carry out his plans.

The biggest threat wasn't Peterson - it was Abaddon.

Soul Reaver had seen the rune that Abaddon was intending to use, and its structure.  He had also glanced parts of the Book of Magnus.  He had the tools to counter the foe, but he would have to be fast, and uninterrupted.  He would need to rely on the others to keep Peterson occupied.

Soul Reaver springs forward, giving Peterson a wide berth as he makes straight for the cocoon of chains.  Blooddrinkers swings in a glittering red arc, slicing through any chains in his way.  Wielding the sword with one hand, he begins to slash at the metal barrier, focussing a blur of effort on just a single point.

At the same time, his other hand is extended behind him as he sends an urgent mental message to Kitharsis.

Kitharsis!  Open the tesseract NOW!

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2018, 01:59:38 PM »
Kitharsis!  Open the tesseract NOW!

I...  I'm not sure I can!  Kitharsis responds in desperation.

The skeleton mages are born of his power, but they have skills independent of his own.  There isn't enough time to summon a mage and explain the situation before Peterson or Abbadon react to Soul Reaver's plan.  But perhaps there is another way.

Kitharsis opens his left palm with the tattoo of a circle, and stretches his arm in front of him.  He concentrates on the skull tattoo further up on his forearm.  His power gathers in both the skull and circle tattoos, and in a flash of crimson a clattering skull appears in his hand.  In another crimson flash, power flows from the circle tattoo into the skull, creating a powerful burst of magic from the skull. 

The Tesseract folds open on one side, creating an avenue for Soul Reaver to access the Book of Magnus.  Kitharsis channels energy through the skull, maintaining a connection to the Tesseract as a precaution.

It is open, for now.  Be warned, if Ahriman's presence makes itself known I will be forced to seal the Book immediately.