Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 2)  (Read 36203 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 2)
« on: July 29, 2010, 12:29:04 PM »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 2)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 12:32:30 PM »
Severan again. Severan the corrupter. “Everything comes back to Severan. The reason I can no longer wander as I wish. The reason humanity is in danger. None of us will have any peace until he is dealt with, one way or another. And even then there's still the Adversary. Who knows how much more trouble he can stir up even without his Severan?” I said to nothing, thinking aloud. It seemed like everything was conspiring against me. I felt trapped again. Chained down. I had to break these chains on me. For myself. For humanity.

I stood up suddenly, the ladder-backed chair toppling over behind me. I grabbed my travel sack a little faster and rougher than I intended. I felt like something was chasing me and I needed to move. To get away. I turned to go, but remembered Muse. She had been very straight with me, which I appreciated. Beautiful she was, but she still shared the mind of the rest of the Bulwark.

I looked at her. “Thank you for your ear Muse. I am not comfortable with the idea of leaning on others for help or protection. But, I suppose, like Captain Blood, I don't mind it when others lean on me. I intend to make myself into someone powerful enough to protect everyone. Maybe the path I walk is foolish. Maybe the path I walk is dangerous. But it IS my path and I will walk it.” I shouldered my bag. “I need some space.” I said and walked out the door.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 12:53:32 PM »
@Fenwick:

Cleo sighs heavily and her exasperation seems to melt from her aggravated visage, revealing a much calmer woman. “Cardack did quite a bit of damage when he took off,” explains Cleo. “Fury had never extended him an invitation for the Bulwark, as she could see his general unrest, and the penchant for trouble in his soul. We all tried to aid him, regardless, but our efforts proved to be quite thankless. He was a pacifist who did not truly care for either aiding others or helping in the war effort. Why the Divine saw fit to choose him, I will never know.”

“At any rate, he had been here for about a hundred years when he decided to take off. Though I can’t confirm his reasons for leaving, you’d have to ask him about that, it was surmised that he resented his master and wanted to work on his own. However, he took Dethys’s experiment with him, which created quite a fuss.”

“This, was of course, coupled with his abandonment of Hestia, with whom he had been in an exclusive relationship for nearly half his time year. For Hestia to become involved with anyone was quite a feat, given her enduring love for her long deceased husband. We were all so happy for her when she found joy with Cardack, but coward that he was, he left without even so much as a farewell to her. She’s always guarded herself much closer since then. Though she is still the same Hestia, there is much more sadness to her now.”

She raises an eyebrow and glances towards your book. "She WILL find out you are back, Cardack. But I promise that I will not be the one to tell her. However, if you don't make your presence known to Hestia, I am quite adept at the art of paper folding and will see to it that every page in your book is sculpted into a beautiful swan."

Cleo takes your hands in hers. “I apologize for my outburst. Hestia has always been like a mother to me. I know this is a bit unusual as chronologically speaking she is actually younger in years. But she has always looked out for me, and seeing Cardack, and remembering the pain he caused her, just infuriated me so. I hope you can forgive me.”

@Depheir:

General Fury extends her hand to you in a firm shake, thus welcoming you to The Bulwark. “Well, we need you at your best. You will have to reconvene with your new companions at some point, but for now, you have a bit of down time to pursue your own interests. Speak with Dethys. Tell him what you desire to do in Avalon while you have the opportunity to do so, and I am sure he will commend you to the proper place.”

Dethys is awaiting you in the reception room and offers you a friendly smile as he sees you emerge from Fury's offices. "So... you've decided to join The Bulwark? Welcome to the family, Depheir. Now, if I know Fury she will be wanting you to endeavor to be at your best. What would you like to do first?"

@Sembas:

Smith is wholly sympathetic as he notices the twinge of sadness as you describe your memories of your weapons. “Aye, lad. Thank ye for sharing a bit of yerself with me. Ye’ll find that we are all quite open in Avalon. We don’t keep many secrets. In order to truly trust someone, ye need to know ‘em like the back of yer hand and the front of yer heart. Most of the time, if ye need to truly know somethin,’ all ye need do is ask and ye will be answered.”

“Lad, ye will see your loved ones again. Just because ye are an Ageless doesn’t mean that ye can’t. Ye just have to be careful. Yer position has the ability to put them in danger. When we are out in the human realm, it is much easier for the Forsaken and Adversary to track us. However, if ye be wanting to communicate with yer kin, Dethys can make that happen. If ye be wanting to see yer kin, though it may be only a rare occasion, the General or the Archon will be more than willing to aid ye.”

“Me? My pretty flower and my little lad ‘ave been gone for many a year now. All I have left is my brethren and my smithy, so I spend a fair amount of time with both. Ye know lady, ye look like you could use a drink. Would ye be willin’ to accompany an old smith to the tavern for a fine pint o’ ale?” 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 10:12:10 PM by Faidth »

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 01:20:11 PM »
Dethys greeted him friendly, when he came out from Fury's offices.

"Welcome to the family, Depheir. Now, if I know Fury she will be wanting you to endeavor to be at your best. What would you like to do first?"

"Hmmm... "

Depheir didn't know, what would he like to do first. He had few options in his head and he couldn't decide, which option was the best for him.

At last, after few moments, he said:

"I would like to go to the library first. Then I'll think, what I'll do later."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 11:59:55 PM »
"I never was much for taverns, my friend.  But with all the commotion lately a drink would surely be welcome."  Faile chatters in protest in his ear, but he waves her protest away.  "No, girl, it won't be like harvest day last year.  Lewes won't be here passing his home made whiskey around."  He adds, with a wink to Smith, "Had a bite of honey in it.  Went down smoother than water.  Terrible for the morning's watch the next day."

Rolling her eyes, Faile concedes, albeit grudgingly.  Chuckling, Sembas points a gloved finger at her.  "Don't act like you didn't sneak some out of my glass, either!  That was your shortest flight around the perimiter that morning.  Either the village proper shrunk overnight or someone was feeling just as well as I was."  She dismissively waves his finger away with her wing with a few chirps.

Sembas collects his spear from the wall and looks to Smith, "Now then, lead the way to the tavern, if you will.  We'll try and keep the chatter down to a minimum on the way there," He says with a smile.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 11:20:17 AM »
@Sembas

Smith leads you to a fine tavern towards the center of town. On your way there, you pass by Blood and Fury who appear to be making their way back to The Bulwark Headquarters. The latter appears to be extremely upset, and the former is making a concerted attempt to quell her friend’s anger. Smiths shouts a greeting and grants a wave to the General and the Captain who return his gesture.

This tavern is unlike some of the seedier establishments you’ve likely seen upon your travels in the human realm. Though it is quite humble in comparison to some of the more grandiose buildings in the city, it is quaint and comfortable.

The bartender is a slim man with short, light brown hair and green eyes. He has an air of natural pleasantness and he hails the old smith as he seats himself at the bar.

“Hey there, old man.” The bartender claps Smith upon the shoulder. “How have you been? Haven’t seen you in a couple days.”

“Been working on a project,” beams Smith. “It’s going to be a heck of a thing… maybe me best to date!”

“And I suppose you’re not going to divulge any more than that, are you?” questions the barkeep with the raise of an eyebrow.

“Show… not tell,” replies Smith. “As soon as it’s done, I’ll show it to ye.” He claps the man upon the shoulder and looks to you. “Have ye met Sembas and Faile yet, lad?”

The bartender shakes his head. “Can’t say that I have.”

“Well… This strapping young lad is Sembas, and his pretty, winged companion be Faile,” speaks Smith. “This, Sembas, is Galenus Calming. I like to call him me Voice o’ Reason. He could talk the Adversary out of his pants.”

Galenus laughs heartily. “I think I’d rather the Adversary kept his pants on.”

“Haha! Well played!” exclaims Smith agreeably. “Two of the usual, Calming.”

Calming goes to collect Smith’s request and returns with two tankards of some sweet-smelling liquid. It has a dark color to it, and you can just perceive a touch of honey and something that smells a bit like chocolate.

“This be me drink of choice. I used to drink the hard stuff, but this works just as well and doesn’t taste like swill!” explains Smith.

He raises his glass to you. “To new friends, lad!” He touches his tankard to yours, then proceeds to effortlessly down his own.

“So Calming, any news on the Archon yet?” asks Smith. “I’d ask Fury herself, but looks like she has her hands full with Blood again.”

“Yeah…” Calming sighs and a sympathetic look crosses his face. “Blood was in her earlier. She’s a bit worse for wear since Vartan left on assignment. Can’t blame her, really. Poor woman.”

“Aye. She’s a damn honorable woman, one of the best! But I can’t help thinking her duty wears on her a bit. She’s getting run down… I think we all are,” comments Smith, his voice containing a hint of sadness. “But… That’s why we need fresh blood like this lad!” Smith pats you on the back nearly causing you to drop your tankard.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 01:06:17 PM »
@Depheir

Dethys leads Depheir to the Ageless Library, an immense tower that is filled from floor to ceiling with books. One of the uppermost floors contains a collection of books that is exclusively for the use of members of The Bulwark of Heaven. Many of these books were handwritten by Dethys Night himself, and several contain useful spells. You find one in particular, penned in Dethys’s meticulous handwriting. It is a spell regarding perspective, that allows you to see through the eyes of another, under certain conditions of course. (Depheir’s new Spell 9)

You expressed an interest in finding information regarding the Forsaken. Dethys is more than happy to point you in the right direction. There are several tomes that address this subject alone. You know that the primary enemy of the Legion Immortalis is the Adversary, an innately evil entity that serves as the archrival of The Divine. While the Divine stands for creation and all that is benevolent, the Adversary is the host of destruction and abomination. It was he who purportedly corrupted the former Ageless, Severan Deceit, and gave him so much power.

You are also able to learn that the Forsaken have a city much like Avalon. It is called Darastae, and though the Ageless are aware of its existence and where to find it, it is HEAVILY warded and serves as an impenetrable fortress for the forces of evil.

From the notes that Dethys has written in the margins of this tome, you learn that he is currently attempting to devise a way to infiltrate the city and uncover the dark secrets of the Forsaken.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 02:32:04 PM »
"Do not worry, it wasn't me you were angry with." Fenwick smiles a toothy grin and goes on. "Well, if it makes you feel better, I'll bring this guy over to Hestia when I can. Probably not after this though, General Fury or Blood or whoever may be giving us our mission soon."

"I also heard about Severan, and what happened between you and him that day..." He slows down slightly, his tone becoming a bit sadder, as if trying to physically take the weight off her shoulders. "I'm sorry. I really should've heard it from you myself. But you know they're all worried about you right? I'm worried about you."
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2010, 02:58:27 PM »
@Fenwick:    

At your mention of Severan, Cleo’s face becomes ashen and despondent, but she quickly dismisses these emotions from her visage and waves a hand dismissively. “Bah! I’m fine! That was ages ago, you know. You all worry too much!” Cleo forces a smile, but you can tell that it is wholly unconvincing.    

“Anyway, the gates are safe. That is all that matters. The Adversary himself doesn’t have a chance of setting foot in this place as long as I am here.” She crosses her arms over her chest defiantly and in some small way, her stubbornness is encouraging. This is a woman who is infinitely committed to her task, which is quite an admirable feat. However, this makes any chance of getting her to see reason quite difficult.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 03:53:59 PM »
Fenwick mentally shrugs and decides it best to drop the subject. As much as he wanted to help, this simply was not the time. "Alright then, if you say so."

Her forced smile, though telling in every way, cheers him up. It was not everyday that you see people attempting to fix something they'd done so diligently. Of course, Cleo had done more than her part. It was about time that she forgave herself, but until then to actively do things would help both her and Avalon.

It was also at this time that he sensed something other than her magic.

"Was there someone else here?" He tentatively sniffs the air. "Doesn't only smell like you around here," he jokingly muses. "I meant your magic of course, heh." Fenwick winks at her.

Then a thought occurs to him. Was she ticklish? Almost experimentally, he reaches out and with his index finger slides it across her neck, almost laughing out himself as he 'feels' her being tickled.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 04:15:12 PM »
Depheir readed rew books about Forsaken.
Now he knows that the primary enemy of the Legion Immortalis is the Adversary, an innately evil entity that serves as the archrival of The Divine. While the Divine stands for creation and all that is benevolent, the Adversary is the host of destruction and abomination. It was he who purportedly corrupted the former Ageless, Severan Deceit, and gave him so much power.
He knows also that they have a city, Darastae, which is now almost impossible for Ageless to find.

He began to wonder.

"So, they have a city much like Avalon. It is heavily warded and it is an impenetrable fortress for the forces of evil. Simple boosting of the Perspective spell will not be enough. Even if I will master it, I will not be able to... or will I?"

Then he asked Dethys:

"I have one question refering to the revealing of secrets of the Forsaken. Are there any chance for me to become a spy?"

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 05:09:23 PM »
"To new friends!"

Sembas raises his glass to cheers with Smith.  Taking a sniff before drinking, he smells honey and a bit of chocolate.  It tastes even better than it smells.  A leather glove wipes a bit of froth from his upper lip as he sets the tankard down. 

So Blood was in quite a mood.  That wasn't surprising.  Sembas was happy he wasn't the object of her ire.  He raises his glass to take another sip, but not before Smith pats him on the back.  Somehow he didn't drop the tankard on the ground.  Luckily none of the ale spilled out.

"Well met, Calming.  I must say this ale is delicious.  I have a bit of a sweet tooth for honey, and the chocolate just sets it off perfectly."

Faile begins to open her mouth in protest when he says the word 'honey,' but she just shakes her head and flaps over to an open window to look outside.  She doesn't enjoy hanging about in taverns.  Too many times a drunk wanted to touch the 'pretty bird' only to leave with a few scratches from her talons and Sembas's bowie knife pointed at his throat.

Sembas glances over his shoulder at her to make sure she was ok.  She looks back at him and gives him a look before turning back out the window.

"Go ahead and stretch your wings, girl.  Push that goose Besnik out of his nest while you're at it."

She cackles with laughter as she hops out of the window and flies up into the air.

Taking another sip of his ale, Sembas turns to his barmates again.  "She's not much for the tavern crowd."  He says, as he points over to the window with his thumb.  "I must admit I'm a bit of a lightweight when it comes to the good stuff because of it." 

Staring into his ale, Sembas's expression becomes more serious.  "Run down, you say.  I've seen nothing but grandeur since I've come to Avalon.  The past day has been one of the most incredible of my entire life.  It's hard to imagine that all of this revolves around a war that has spanned the ages.  I have a feeling the gritty reality of our situation will soon become apparent to myself and the other younglings," He takes another sip from the tankard and lets out a sigh as he leans back from the bar, "but for right now I think I'll enjoy the ale and quit worrying!"

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 12:59:17 PM »
@Fenwick:

Cleo, having never been tickled before, is absolutely dumbfounded as your undulating fingers slither towards her. She gives an “eep!” of surprise and leaps backward into a defensive position. Where there was once Cleo, there are now three and you see that their palms glow as they ready their magical protective wards.

“What is that? What are you doing?” asks Cleo, wide-eyed and in shock. Her eyes dart from you to your fingertips.

“What did you do to me?” asks another Cleo.

“Stop that at once!” exclaims the third.

@Depheir

Dethys strokes his chin thoughtfully. “Now… there’s an idea. The problem is, we’ve never been able to get anyone inside. The Forsaken can sense us, just as we can sense them… and as for Elders, like me, they know us quite well. However, a fledgling Ageless like yourself might be able to infiltrate if I can manage to somehow make a spell that masks your motivation. I’ve been at it for quite a while now, with no success as of yet. However, no one’s ever really been willing to try it. The risk of you getting caught would be quite high, but if one might be willing to volunteer…”

He claps his hands together. “I can see what I can do. Yes... perhaps that rascal Cardack is the key to all this… If I can just…” Dethys walks off, muttering to himself, and leaving you alone.

@Sembas:

As night begins to approach in the capital city of the Ageless, you find yourself and Calming aiding a rather inebriated Smith back to his abode in the Bulwark headquarters. It is, unsurprisingly, attached to his smithy.

The old smith has an arm draped over you, and one over calming, as he attempts to regain his balance. The fact that he managed to drink half the bar and is still (somewhat) coherent and able to sustain at least a bit of his balance is quite impressive. You suppose that he must be of solid constitution to manage such a feat, as it takes quite a bit to get an Ageless drunk.

When you reach the doors of his abode, Smith thanks you for “a roaring good time” before collapsing onto his bed. Calming seems to find the whole thing quite amusing, and you get the feeling that this has happened before.

“Though not often,” explains Calming. “I’d say once a year or so Smith gets fairly ripped and I end up hauling him back here. I don’t mind really. He works so hard… he deserves to cut loose a bit. Thanks for keeping him company.”

Calming tucks Smith into his bed and pulls the covers up over the old man’s shoulders before accompanying you back outside. “Well, we should probably be getting you back to Dethys. You’ll be bedding there for the night.” Calming’s gaze drifts down to the belt pouch at your hip. “Unless of course… you have somewhere else to go.” He winks at you. “To be honest, it would probably be safer with Archer. Dethys’s ‘experiments’ tend to result in chaos. They’ll be comfortable lodgings, but if you desire some quiet, there’s no finer place than the east side of town. Near Archer’s place and the cottage that belongs to Fury’s boy, Dennan.”
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 03:54:56 PM by Faidth »

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 04:02:00 PM »
“I can see what I can do. Yes... perhaps that rascal Cardack is the key to all this… If I can just…”

Dethys walked off, muttering to himself. Depheir stayed at the library. He began to think about his career as spy.

"The risk of being caught is really high... I will have to be very careful, if I WILL arrive to Darastae."

He took a book from the shelf, but didn't open it. He was concentrated.

"If any Forsaken would... say to everyone that I am not an Ageless, then infiltrating of the city will be very easy. Nearly all of the secrets will be revealed, and... No. I don't think it is possible."

He putted the book where it was.

"But who is that Cardack? I will have to ask about it."

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 07:57:13 AM »
Fenwick removes his hand and backs off a little, his hands raised up into the air to 'surrender'. It takes him a while, but as he realises the kind of situation that he's in, he cannot help but start... laughing.

"It's a tickle! It's not--not dangerous--at--at all!" He forces all of the words out while laughing. Yet when he calms down a little, he continues. "Wow! Calm down!! Haha, it's just a tickle. Have you not been tickled in your life of eight hundred years?!? Where did you grow up in?"

He relaxes into a cheeky smile. "Look, look it's simple. It just makes you jump and laugh because it feels really really funny, but it's very fun!" He tickles himself, but of course it doesn't make him laugh. "Well you have to do it on someone else. Try it out on the next guy that comes!!"

But after letting all that out, he still remains where he stands. He wouldn't even dare move a muscle in this situation. Crossing one Cleo was suicidal, but crossing three of them was like armaggaedon all focused on you.

"Say, where did you grow up anyway?" He asks with his eyes looking straight at the original... or at least he thought that was the original... maybe the one the right was... or the left...

Ah well, either way, three Cleos was simply three times the eye candy.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 11:46:38 AM »
@Fenwick:

Cleo’s defenses drop considerably and the trio of Cleos meld back into one. “I am sorry for misunderstanding your… what did you call it… “tickle?” I must admit that I am not acquainted with this practice, and it seems quite peculiar. Perhaps you may show me more of this ‘tickle’ later,” she concedes.

"As for your other question, I told you when we first met that you would ask me about that again, and when you did, I would tell you everything. I am true to my word, Wicky.”

Cleo seats herself upon a pillow on the floor and draws her knees up to her chest. You have seen her perform this simple, child-like gesture before, and realize it is a comforting posture for her.

“As a mortal, my name was Cleominae Kharis and I was raised as a simple peasant girl in a modest village in the east. My mother died in childbirth, leaving my loving father, Zachariah, to raise me alone. My father was both a farmer and carpenter, and I enjoyed aiding him in his work.”

“When I was in the company of my family, my smiles never ceased. I loved animals and would aid the injured and even kept a few pets. I also loved to read. I’d read anything! Whatever meager scraps of texts my father managed to procure for me. When reading material was scarce, my father would make up stories for me. I would hang on to his every word as he told me of far off places and friendly strangers with unusual customs.”

“Anyway, when I was in my early teens, my father remarried. I got along well with my step-mother, Rebecca, and I was quite excited when my father informed me I would be an older sister. When my younger brother, Samuel, was born, I spent every waking moment with him, coddling him and telling him the same stories that father had shared me.”

“We were all very happy for several months, but it seems our joy was not meant to endure.” Cleo’s expression falls and her gaze is distant, her eyes filled with sorrow. “My step-mother was the first to become ill. It was not long before the sickness claimed her and was passed to the other members of the household. I stood by my father as he succumbed to his affliction, and merely days after he passed, I held Samuel in my arms as he, too, was claimed by illness. He was just a baby… and such a sweet child. I often wonder what would have become of him if he had been allowed to live.”

“Of my family, only I was spared. Because of this, the other townsfolk began to view me with suspicion. The illness continued to sweep through the town, claiming countless lives, yet I remained unaffected.”

“Because of the nature of the illness, my family home was burned to ashes, along with all of the belongings within. The townsfolk were afraid that the plague might be spread further if these things were not dispatched. However, I managed to save my little brother’s stuffed bear, Sylvester.” She smiles at the memory, but the sadness does not leave her features. “I carried it with me always.”

“I began to notice some peculiarities in the way the townsfolk treated me. They would cross to the other side of the street whenever I came to town. I knew I was being shunned, and had nowhere to go. I was forced to reflect upon all my father had taught me. I was able to build a small dwelling at the edge of the woods where I lived alone for several years.”

“No other human ever came to visit, but I enjoyed the company of the little animals who would pass through my yard and they became constant companions.” She gives a slight chuckle. “I would address them as if they understood me. Unfortunately, this only furthered the suspicion in the minds of the townsfolk. Whenever I ventured into town for the few meager supplies I could afford, people would point at me and I could hear them whisper the word ‘witch.’  Thus, I visited the town even less, and the loneliness became unbearable. I yearned for company or some minor regard from the other villagers.”

“I was in my mid-20’s when ruin descended upon the town. All of the crops failed and the same plague that had claimed my family swept through the village again.”

“Around that time, I was asleep when I was ripped from my cot and dragged to the town square. I remember that I watched in horror as they burnt my home to the ground. There was no one to aid me, and I cried out for Sylvester, my brother’s teddy bear, as he smoldered in the flames.”

“Next, I was bound to a pyre in the center of the town and I pleaded my innocence as they piled the kindling around me. I watched, powerless to stop them, as they set their torches upon the wood before me.” She absentmindedly rubs at her arms, and you can see the faint scars that mar her skin shimmer slightly in the low-light of the tent.

“I could feel my skin begin to burn and my lungs begin to grow tight; I knew that I was dying. As the flames engulfed me, I remember that I found it ironic that I was finally surrounded by people, I finally had their attention, but never had I felt so alone.”

“Suddenly, my lungs found air and I realized that my bindings were loose. My legs shook as I stumbled out of the fire. I was so confused! As I looked upon my executioners, the flames upon my body disintegrated into nothingness, and the harsh red marks that marred my skin faded considerably, but did not retreat altogether. The townsfolk fled in horror at what they had seen, leaving me alone again.”

“I returned to the ashes of my home, but nothing could be salvaged. I did not know where to go, or what to do, but fortuitously, Dethys Night came to collect me. He told me of my condition, and told me of Avalon, where I might finally be surrounded by people who would truly care for me.” 

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:59:11 AM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 11:34:39 PM »
Sembas hiccups as Calming talks about where he was to stay.  When he mentions Archer his eyes light up as he wobbles a bit.  The falconer's mind wanders as he imagines spending the night with Archer in her tree house.  He shakes his head to clear his woozy mind a bit.

"Sleeping in a mage's laboratory doesn't really sit well with me, to tell the truth."  Was what he wanted to say, but it really came out as a series of mumbles and chuckles.

"I told you I was a lightweight!  But, by the Divine, I'm glad I didn't have as much as ol' Smith here.  I think I'll be heading towards the greener part of Avalon for the night.  Thank you for 'roaring good time,' but hopefully we don't make it a habit, for our head's sakes the next morning..."

Again, he meant well, but more excited mumbles and loud laughter followed by a couple slaps on the back was all that Sembas could muster.  Hopefully Calming was used to dealing with drunkards by now...

Sembas begins walking down the road with a spring in his step, whistling a nonsensical little tune.  When he arrives at Archer's tree he fiddles around with the pulley's for a while before getting frustrated from nothing happening.  The bushes at the base of her tree seemed comfortable enough.  After depositing his weapons on the ground next to him he wraps his cloak around himself and flops down in the bushes.

Soon he's snoring rather loudly at the base of Archer's tree. Faile lands on a tree branch above his head and shakes her head.  She covers her eyes with a wing and soon is dozing off herself.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2010, 02:05:00 AM »
@Sembas

Sembas wakes to all of the wondrous smells that are associated with breakfast. You feel the gentle touch of fingers upon your side and someone’s warm breath against your neck. As your eyes flutter open, and your head fervently reminds you of last night’s excursion, you roll over to find a familiar face looking back at you.

“Hello there.” Dennan’s voice comes out in a low rumble, and you are startled to find that he’s spooning with you.

Archer, still clad in her night-robe is leaning in the doorway with an amused expression upon her face. Her simple garment is tasteful, but quite attractive. The silk robe clings to her form like a second silhouette, fitting her perfectly. “Dennan! You’re going to scare the life right out of him!” she scolds playfully.

Dennan’s booming laughter fills the room and he rights himself in the bed, leaning heavily upon his elbows. “Sorry, Gladia. I couldn’t resist.”

You see Faile and Besnik perched in the window. The falcons glance from you to each other and appear to be sharing some personal joke. That’s when you notice the mashed worms in your pocket and the recently deceased fish stuffed in the top of your trousers. Apparently they thought it would be fantastic fun to have a laugh at your expense while you were unconscious.

Dennan deftly leaps out of the bed and turns back towards you. “Archer and I were moonlight fishing last night. When we came back, we found you in the bushes.”

“You must have had quite a time,” comments Archer with a raise of her brow. “Were you aware that your hands tend to wander when you’re intoxicated?”

Dennan shifts uncomfortably. “You pinched my breast…” he says with a frown. “Hard, too.” He rubs at his chest for effect and Archer pats him upon the shoulder sympathetically.

“Dennan, I’ve set out breakfast for us. Think you could fetch us some berries from the treeline?” asks Archer.

Dennan nods obediently and quickly moves to carry out his friend’s wishes.

Archer sits on the bed beside you and reaches out a hand to smooth the hair from your brow. “I hope you slept well. You looked so peaceful out under the stars that I was reluctant to move you, but some of the younger Ageless can get up to mischief from time to time. It’s all in good fun, but I could see Corvus leaving you in the fountain for a laugh. Safer this way.”

“I ran into Calming when I was down at the market and he told me that he doubts you made it to see Dethys. I called upon your mentor and told him that I would feel much better if you remained here for a time. He pouted a bit, but I think he understood. It is your choice of course, but I thought you might be more comfortable here in nature's embrace."

"Besides, that laboratory is no place for a Childer Immortalis. Honestly, his wife should receive some medal of recognition for remaining there, poor dove. She looked well today… for a change. Poor Dethys.” She shakes her head sympathetically then moves to leave.

“Breakfast is ready if you’re hungry. I certainly hope you’ve brought an appetite with you.” 

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »
The Cleos reform into one and she sits upon the pillow on the floor, drawing her knees up to her chest. Fenwick finds another pillow nearby and sits facing her. He listens intently, wincing when she mentions the death of her family, almost suffocating from the isolation that she felt and probably still feels.

Somewhere half way through, he notices that he has taken the position that Cleo has; his knees are curled up to his chest, his head resting in between. He acknowledges this fact, but continues listening.

She finishes, and the scars on her body suddenly seem more prominent, more meaningful. A silence descends over the two for a moment, with Cleo looking at the floor, re-living the brief joy of her childhood, the confusion of isolation, the terror of being ripped from everything she knew and loved.

At last, he speaks. "One second can change a life, so eight hundred years can do a lot of things... You're stronger than before now." He is unsure how much of an effect it'll have on her, but he hoped that she'll understand, just as he was beginning to understand the unbearable guilt and the fear she had for her fellow Ageless.

"You know, the Ageless of Avalon don't blame you for what happened with Severan. There was nothing that could be done about it..."

He wavers in his resolve. Was he just opening the wound that had scarred? It was still there no doubt, but were the tools available to finally heal that wound?

"My parents were murdered by one of the villagers whom I grew up with. I know it's nothing compared to what you've been through, but I know some of the pain you bear. I just..."

Silence again. How could he continue?!?!

Cardack's voice nags him somewhere in his mind, but it seems too distant to be acknowledged right now.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2010, 10:02:05 AM »
Ah, breakfast.  The familiar smells of the morning's meal waft into his nose and wakes his senses.

Thats when the headache starts... 

“Hello there.”

That was a deep voice, and why is the owner of it spooning with me?

"Dennan!"  He shouts as he starts squirming away from the large man.  His fuss quickly stops when he notices Archer in her night-robe.

But that is also when he notices the mushiness in his pocket.  "There's a fish in my pants..."

“You pinched my breast…”

He face turns bright red.  "I...  I'm sorry I don't recall..."  He presses the palm of his hand to his forehead hard, trying to rub off the headache.

Archer's hand smoothing out his hair calms his head for a moment.

"Yes, this is much better than a fountain..."

She goes on to say that he would be welcome to stay here.  Smiling, he nods to her.

"You're right.  I would be much more at ease under your roof than that mage's contraption of a building.  I think he nearly blew it up the day I arrived here..."

“Breakfast is ready if you’re hungry. I certainly hope you’ve brought an appetite with you.” 

"I'm starving!  But first, allow me remove the fish from my trousers...  and oh," he shoots a look at Faile and Besnik sharing a laugh in the window.  "Care for some worms, you two?"