Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 1)  (Read 33874 times)

Offline Faidth

• Captain
The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 1)
« on: July 10, 2010, 11:20:00 AM »
   You cannot fathom why someone would put a Soothsayer in the middle of the desert, but that is where she is, so that is where you are going. Upon learning of your newly acquired condition, you were left a message, though how it came to you without anyone to deliver it is a bit suspect. Fenwick “Beatrix” Hux found his within the confines of his coveted book. How it got there, you will likely never know, but the instructions that the message bore were quite clear.

You were advised to make your way to the Wastes of Faranas, an uninhabited, barren land that consists of little more than coarse sand, blistering sun, and more coarse sand. There is little water to be found, so you are glad that you managed to pack at least a few light provisions for yourself. However, by the seventh day, your waterskin is likely empty and you are beginning to feel your first pangs of thirst.

It is at this time that you realize that you are being followed. As you look above you and squint your eyes towards the midday sun, you note an enormous black bird of some sort. You surmise that it is likely a vulture, but if the creature is waiting for you to keel over so that it may delightfully feast upon your rotting remains, it will be sorely mistaken. You’ve already died once, and thus far, there has certainly been no rotting.

Both the sand and heat are unforgiving, but you were told in this message that you cannot stop for any reason. No rest, not even for a moment; the message was very clear about that. So, you continue your journey south, hoping to see some signs of civilization, but the endless expanse of desert is the only thing that greets your eyes.

You stumble forward, your feet growing heaving under you, and you nearly trip over IT. You manage to catch your balance, and as you correct your posture you find that you have walked directly into the wall of a small tent. You’re positive that it wasn’t there a moment ago; you would have easily recognized such a thing in the midst of all this emptiness, but there it is. You reach out a hand to determine if this is merely some mirage, a cruel figment of your sun-addled mind, but you are assured that it is indeed there.

A chastising, female voice calls out from somewhere within the confines of the tent. “Are you just going to stand out there all day?”

You cautiously enter the tent and your eyes need a moment to adjust to the darkness.

“Well, I suppose you have spent a bit too much time in the sun,” remarks the voice, a hint of amusement present in her tone.

There is a brilliant flash of effervescent light that explodes from the center of the room and spills outward, affecting everything that it touches. You realize that this room is far greater in size than you imagined, and what appeared to be a rather unremarkable little tent actually has enough space to fit an entire house, maybe even two.

The woman gives you an even stare, and you find that she is much like you expected. She is a hunched over, wizened, little old woman. Strands of gray hair hang across her forehead or congregate in clumps upon her brow. Wrinkles affect every corner of her face, and she has the look of someone who is very well-travelled.

She is seated at an elaborately carved wooden table in the center of the room, and it is from there that the soft, blue light continues to emanate in undulating waves. She snaps her fingers and the motion of the light instantaneously stops, each azure curl frozen in time as she slowly makes her way towards you.

“Hmph. I should have known that you would be the first, Mr. Hux.” She reaches up a withered hand, tilting her craggy face as she places her palm upon your forehead.

Despite the unbearable heat of the desert outside, you find that the tent is quite cool, and you shiver a bit as her cold hand presses against your skin. After several moments of this, she narrows her eyes and you feel that gaze is exploring the depths of your very soul. You feel strangely exposed and she grins in response to your obvious discomfort.

“Hmph. All that for a book, eh? You’re either very brave or very foolish… Truth be told, I would bet my money on the second, but I suppose time will tell. Well, just one more thing to check. You’ll want to hold still for this.” She presses her thumbs against your eyes, and without warning, she jams them hard into your sockets.

You feel as if your eyeballs will pop, but you find that you can tolerate this pain. However, the searing agony that comes next is enough to nearly bring you to your knees. Though you cannot see it as your vision is obscured, you hear the crackle of lightning as it explodes from her fingertips in a deafening roar. You howl in pain as you find yourself paralyzed. You quickly think of some course of action to stop this madness, perhaps a spell to protect you, but as you move to intercede on your own behalf, the pain stops and you fall to the floor in a crumpled heap. You find yourself dizzy and unable to see. Your mind is swimming in the vestiges of the dull ache that permeates through your skull.

The soothsayer extends a hand to you and pulls you to your feet before helping you into a luxuriously soft chair near the wooden table. She presses something squishy to your lips, and as she does so, you find your former mental clarity, balance and vision restored.

Before you can utter a word, she raises a hand to stop you. “I am terribly sorry, I do not delight in these dealings. You will be glad to know that such a jolt would have killed any human, but you… you, sir are indeed an Ageless. I suppose I should explain myself, but before I do, now that I have confirmed who you are, I can take my true form.”

The entirety of her body is enveloped in a shimmering white light and the wrinkled flesh begins to physically melt away. Her gray hair slithers from her skull before joining her flesh in landing in lumpy heaps upon the floor. There, the remnants of her former appearance evaporate into nothingness. What is left in the seat before you is likely the most alluring woman you have ever seen. Her long, blonde hair falls across her shoulders in golden waves, and her piercing blue eyes sparkle with a delighted glint.

“I must say it is so good to have company again. There haven’t been many of us lately. The last was about eight months ago.” She pats your hand sympathetically. “Again, I’m so sorry about that. I know how painful that must have been for you, but it had to be done. Awhile back, the Forsaken learned of my whereabouts, and because this place is warded against them, they began to send humans posing as Ageless. There were enchantments on them that enhanced their abilities and certainly made them seem like Ageless. One of them managed to get by me… a very convincing glamour they had on that one… but luckily, Blood was able to stop them at the gates.”
   “Since then, I’ve had to go out of my way to make sure all of you are who you say you are. But, this should be at least a little amusing for you. When the rest of them come, you’ll get to see them flop around just as you did. Sometimes they drool and writhe, and I must admit that despite myself it is fairly entertaining to watch. Oh my! Where are my manners! My name is Cleo Seer. Appropriate isn’t it? You’ll get a name like that soon enough. The Archon always knows what will suit us.”

She sighs heavily as she realizes that she has been rambling for several moments now. “Sorry. Like I said, it’s been awhile since I’ve had company. I’ll get you something to eat and drink if you like. We’re going to have to wait for the others. You are the first, Mr. Hux, but you will not be the last today.” She glances down at your hands. “Perhaps in the meantime you would like to know your future? It’s fluid you know… dynamic… always changing… but perhaps I can offer you a glimpse? Or perhaps there is something else you would like to know?”

The prospect of telling you a bit of your future seems to excite her and she eagerly awaits your response. 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:23:40 AM by Faidth »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 1)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »
Dazed and utterly confused, Fenwick sorted out what he had learned ever since he entered the tent.

An old lady had just figured out what he drowned for just by touching his skin, pretty much near-punctured his eyeballs and shortly afterwards shocked the life out of him.

Okay, well, she nearly did, but that was close enough!

Instinctively after she had applied that thing to his lips, he had begun mumbling his spell, SPIRITUAL MAGIC--LIFESAVER as she confirmed that he was an 'ageless' (that word in the note. hmm...). But as she metamorphosed, he simply stopped. The blonde haired, blue eyed woman was beautiful, but more than that, he sensed that she could be trusted, with his life perhaps. Maybe all that time bargaining had paid off...

...Or maybe he was just a sucker for beautiful women, regardless of how much he wanted to deny it. Maybe a mixture of both.

Yet it was the magic that had emanated from her that he wanted. Within this being, he knew there was much that he could learn, things that the book would not have told him. Suddenly, looking down at his precious tome, he realised that the lightning spell she had casted could be duplicated by mixing a few 'ingredients' together. Storing that information away, he realised that she was still talking. A bit embarrassed, he tried to pick up on what she had said...

...Something about  Forsakens and them sending humans to do their work... then a certain Blood had stopped them... Perhaps valuable information later on. Again, he archived that away, though he placed less importance on it.

"Perhaps in the meantime you would like to know your future? It’s fluid you know… dynamic… always changing… but perhaps I can offer you a glimpse? Or perhaps there is something else you would like to know?”

Immediately after hearing those words, Fenwick quickly processed the possibilities. Condition: Future was always changing. Possible action: A glimpse of the future. Possible outcomes: By knowing the future, there may be a 'self-fulfilled prophecy', something mentioned in the book. Yet, the future was always changing. Maybe it didn't matter...

"Erm... the guy who killed my parents. I'll find them right? Along the way or after I finish 'my way', whatever it is? However! If I can only choose one vision, I'd rather just get a glimpse, with or without the murdering lout." His words grew sharp and loud right before 'murdering' and he realised that this may not be good for his health.

"Oh, and one more thing... Just call me Fenwick. Or just Fen, or just Wick. Choose one, I'm not picky." He adds as a final note.

As he waits for her reply, the thoughts of seeing others fall before hiim interested him. Perhaps he could study her technique as she did so...
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »
   Upon hearing your response, Cleo seizes your hand and pulls it across the table towards her. There is a greed in her expression and you would not be incorrect in estimating that the ability to practice her arts tends to get a rise out of her. Perhaps, to some degree, you can even relate to the insatiable need that she obviously feels in having a willing audience.

She glances at your palm, attempting to decipher something, but what that might be, you have absolutely no idea. Suddenly she clears her throat and expels a large, wet, glob of saliva into the palm of your outstretched hand.

Before you can protest, she dips her long, dainty fingers into the minute puddle upon your hand and begins to stir it. You notice that as she does so, the pool begins to widen and expand, and soon it envelopes your entire palm. Perhaps more curiously, it begins to shimmer with a purple glow. She swishes her fingers around even faster creating a veritable whirlpool within your palm. The churning fluid begins to expand upward until its volume has expanded so much that she can place her hand in it up to her wrist. Loud swooshing sounds emanate from the liquid, and despite its size, it never spills over the confines of your palm. It crackles with electricity and Cleo smiles as she finally finds what she was looking for.

You feel a sharp pinch in the palm of your hand as Cleo begins to pull her fingers upward, and quite suddenly, the whirring stops. The whirlpool begins to fall away like a curtain, and what had begun as a wad of saliva and transformed into a mini tsunami, is now the haunting image of your mother and father.

"Hmm. Nice family. Do you wish to see their deaths? Some people find closure in that!" she says excitedly. However, this remark is followed by a frown and she shakes her head. "Perhaps not."

The image of your parents disappears, and a blinding light erupts from the center of your hand. It is so bright that it forces you to shut your eyes, but Cleo seems undeterred. When you regain your sight again (what is it with this woman and blinding you?) there is a handful of runes in your outstretched hand. They are carved into small brown and gray rocks, and each feels much heavier than they should rightfully be.

Cleo collects them from you and takes a deep breath. She quickly examines the runes, chucking several onto the floor until only one remains. This one looks different from the others. “Are you sure you want to hear this? Of course you do. If you didn’t, you wouldn’t have asked. You won’t like the answer, Mr. Hux… uh… Fenwick… Fen… Wick… Wicky… WIIIICCCCKKKKKYYYY. Wicky. I like it. Nice ring.”

You get the feeling that this woman’s seclusion may have a tendency to wear upon her.

“Back to business then.” She offers you a stunning smile, and for the first time, you realize there are long, ragged scars that extend across all of the exposed parts of her body. You’re not sure what they are from, but it is quite clear that the way they were inflicted must have been quite painful. She has gone to great lengths to disguise it, but you know a great deal of the magical arts, and when she turns her body just so, you can catch glimpses of them.

She begins to speak. “You won’t find the one, or ones, that are responsible for the deaths of your parents, Wicky… But they will find you, and when they do, you will be unable to exact your revenge upon them. You will lose more than you ever knew you had before you gain anything at all, and one day… that book that you risked your life for will betray you. You have great power… extraordinary power, Wicky.” She licks her lips hungrily. “So much… potential… But your true power shall always elude your grasp unless you can find the solace that your parents so want for you.” She holds the white rune aloft. “This… is from them… to protect you.”  [see OOC]

“That is how your future stands now … But we make our own destinies… Remember that…” She rises to her feet and crosses over to you, placing her delicate hand upon your shoulder. “So… much… potential, Wicky. Can you see it? Can you see that in yourself?”

You suddenly find yourself rising out of your chair, though you don’t remember willing yourself to stand. Some unseen force turns you toward her and you find that she has become uncomfortably (or perhaps comfortably) close.

“I’ve been alone for so long, you know… No one ever visits… As if Avalon is that great! Hmph!” Her hand caresses your cheek and you feel a shiver ripple through your body. “You know, Wicky… I could show you some things. I am a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to magic… I like to sample whatever I can… And it seems that you have a lot to offer. Perhaps you could offer me a… taste?”

She leans her lips close to yours. You feel paralyzed. You’re not certain if you want this, or even if you want her, but it seems you are no longer in control of your own body. She snaps her fingers and you are shocked to find that you are no longer looking at a beautiful woman but rather a beautiful, NAKED woman. Your body is paralyzed, and as much as you might want to, you still can’t will yourself to move.

“SSSEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRR!” A loud voice erupts from the corner of the room.

Cleo’s eyes grow wide and she turns in the direction the voice had come. “Uh… Keeper! It’s you! How lovely to hear from you again!”

You realize that the voice is coming from a glowing, gold orb in the back of the room. It is covered with dust and cobwebs, but as the voice erupts through it again, all signs of disuse are expelled from it and both the dust and cobwebs are violently sent to the floor.

“CLEO… HAVE THEY ARRIVED?”

“Uh… Just the one, Keeper. Just Wicky.” She quickly corrects herself. “Uh… Fenwick Hux.”

“AH… I SEE THAT…” Right on cue, you see two eyes appear in the orb. They do not appear unkind as they look upon you, but as they pan over the Cleo, they narrow considerably.

“WHERE ARE YOUR CLOTHES?” the voice demands.

Cleo’s face becomes scarlet and she snaps her fingers again, thus magically replacing her clothes. “Uh… I don’t know what you are talking about… They’re right here… You must have been imagining me naked… You dirty old codger!”

“NO, NO!” The eyes within the orb grow wide with indignation. “NO! I WOULD NEVER! I’M A RESPECTABLE MAN, YOU KNOW THAT! ANYWAY, I JUST WANTED TO CHECK ON YOUR PROGRESS. WHILE YOU WAIT FOR THE OTHERS, WHY DON’T YOU LOOK INTO THAT… THING… THAT I ASKED YOU ABOUT.”

Cleo rolls her eyes. “Very well, Keeper. I will begin working on it immediately.”

“GOOD, GOOD. WHEN DO YOU EXPECT THE OTHERS WILL ARRIVE?”

“Soon enough, Keeper,” replies Cleo. “I’ll send them to you immediately.”

“GOOD. I GUESS I’LL LEAVE YOU TO IT THEN.”

The orb seems to shut off, and whoever had been there has promptly left. Cleo sighs heavily and crosses to the far corner of the room. She plops down on an enormous pillow and reaches over to a pile of dusty books nearby. She selects one and pulls it onto her lap before beckoning you to come sit beside her.

“Keeper,” she says glumly. “Such a hardass… Do this, Cleo… Do that, Cleo… And does anyone ever say ‘thank you’ or feel the need to stop by and say hello. Of course not! Why? Because I’m in the middle of a desert! Who was the genius who decided to put a soothsayer in the middle of the desert?! It was probably Keeper!”

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:40:22 AM »
A rune. She had carved out runes on his hands. How exciting! Perhaps runes were simply an innate property within the body! Yet, Fenwick reminded himself, this was a crazy, beautiful (Or beautifully crazy... She did have nice hair....) soothsayer. It could be that she was simply conjuring them up at will.

He continued to listen to her, but something caught his attention.

"You won't find the one, or ones..."

Many? More than one? Plural? Not-singular? Fenwick had not guessed that the possibility of masterminds had existed. No revenge yet? It worked out for him he thought. At least he would still have the chance to ambush, surprise, and torture them slooowly to death in the future.

But the book! The book couldn't betray him! Impossible! He had risked his life--died-- to get that book. It was why he had stayed 2 months longer than he needed to, the reason why he even currently existed. But there had been a rule that he had picked up. 'Be the master, do not let the magic master you'. Maybe it had something to do with that?

His thoughts are broken as he scrutinizes the white rune she hands to him though, and he feels the rune, absorbing its power... yet feeling as though it had not yet been completed [Character Creation Sheet update 1]

Fenwick's absorption is interrupted again (First she blinds me, then I'm interrupted again and again...) as he is forced to stand and approach her. She is that much closer to him and he cannot help but look down at her cleavage as she complained about Avalon and carassed his cheek. Fenwick shivered as she did so--they were so round, so beauif--no snap out of it. He forced his eyes back up to hers.

"You know, Wicky... I could show you some things."

He gulped. Things?

"I am a bit of a connoisseur when it comes to magic... I like to sample what I can... And it seems that you have a lot to offer. Perhaps you could offer me a... taste?"

Oh, whew. Yes, magic. But he didn't seem to be as good as--

Her lips come closer, closer... it was too early. Too early! He couldn't enter a relationship with an almighty Soothsayer before he even mastered his spells! But he leans over still, closing the distance...

Before she snaps her fingers and becomes absolutely naked.

Fenwick stops, paralyzed. He wasn't sure it was because of her doing, or because it was him trying to drink in every nook and cranny of her body. Instead, he tries to roll his eyes and--

"SSSEEEEEEEEAAAAAARRRRR!"

Interrupted. Again.

The ensuing conversation makes Fenwick chuckle as Cleo 'puts on' her clothes again (Much to his unacknowledged disappointment) and he studies the... er... orb. He wasn't sure what it was that he was feeling, though he did feel warm and safe. Or was it the aftermath of being that close with a beautifully crazy naked woman? Fenwick looks away, breathes, and looks back at the orb. Nope, couldn't be. It still flooded him with warmth and safety.

"...THING... THAT I ASKED YOU ABOUT."

Thing? What thing? Magical thing? Fenwick's heat leaps as he considers the prospects of a magical item... his very own magical item!

He had hoped that Cleo would immediately talk about this... thing. But he understands as she once again complains about her state. Perhaps this was a good time to ask some questions before dwelling into this 'thing'. He sits beside her, staring at the book and refusing to look at her.

"erm... Hello. Thank you for the rune and the... er... view." He blushes. "I do have many questions however. For example, Who was that orb? Why are you out here? Why am I an Ageless? What was that orb? If there are others, when will they arrive? Finally, how long have you been out here? How old are you? How--"

How old are you?

He coughs, realising that he was asking too much.

"Forgive me. I realise that some of the questions are personal."

He waits for her response, drawing comfort from the magic around her and the fact that there was a book on her lap (Focus on the book... focus on the book... Curses. Back to the book...).
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:44:08 AM »
   Cleo blinks at you, rather taken aback by the flurry of questions. She appears pensive for a moment, as if determining which questions she should answer for you. You see that her eyes flash with light, for only a brief second, before returning to their normal state. She frowns, but after a moment, sighs heavily.

She gestures to the orb. "That... was Keeper. You will be meeting him soon enough. He's like the welcoming committee of Avalon. He's a decent fellow, but a bit high-strung sometimes, and right now, he keeps pestering me to work on this... THING... for him. I can't really explain what it is. It's a bit of a secret. But eventually, you'll come to know that, too. You'll learn many things, Wicky..." Her expression wilts, and a look of sadness comes to preside upon her face. "Perhaps more than you should. At any rate, the orb is a device used for communication. It’s Keeper’s way of checking up on me."

"As for your other questions... as for why I'm out here... I wish I knew." She shakes her head. "Really, Dethys is just as capable as me, but I was the one selected for this position... by the Archon himself, at that... Like I could say no to the Archon, even if I wanted to. No one can deny him anything. You'll come to see that, too. It's not like he made me accept it, but I knew that I couldn't refuse him... There's just something about the way he... soothes you. When he says it will all be alright, you believe him. I think I needed that. It has been so long since I've felt that everything would be alright."

Again, the network of faint scars upon her body glimmers. Given your wealth of general knowledge, you come to the conclusion that these scars resemble burn marks. Cleo looks as if she is about to weep but quickly manages to repress her emotions, condemning them back to whatever deep well they had briefly managed to spring from.

“I’m not really sure how long I’ve been out here… I’ve lost count, you know. It’s been several hundred years at the very least… and no one comes to visit. A few decades ago, Fury and Blood came by to see if I was holding up well. I acted like I was, but I think General Fury knew I was lying… She’s like that. She can see through just about anything. She suggested that perhaps I should come back to Avalon, but the Archon entrusted me with this task so I wasn’t about to leave, as much as I wanted to. Every hundred years or so, Dethys comes to drop off books.” She gestures to the enormous piles of book that take up a great majority of this room. “It helps to keep my mind off of things.

“You know…I would never admit it to any of them, but it does get rather lonely. Sometimes I make my own company.” She snaps her fingers again and another Cleo Seer, a perfect replica appears on your other side; you find yourself sandwiched by sorceresses. Cleo waves to her other self. “I suppose it’s a good thing that I’m a decent conversationalist. Sometimes we play games.” She gestures to something that resembles a chess set.

“I always win!” beams the second Seer.
   “You do not!” argues the true Cleo.
   “Do, too!”
   “Do not!”
   “Do-”

Before the second Seer can finish perpetuating this squabble, the true Seer snaps her fingers again, dispelling her second self. She sighs again. “I can be so very disagreeable sometimes. I irritate myself.”

“As for why you are Ageless… Well, that is a question that is probably best-suited for Dethys. He knows more about that kind of thing than I do. He’s spent at least a thousand years researching the condition. He’s written numerous books about it, too.” She pulls a book from the bottom of one of the stacks and smiles as the rest of the books remain in their neat order. She turns to hand the book to you when the stack suddenly collapses.

“Drat!” She dismissively waves her fingers and rights all of the books again. She hands you the tome and you see that the title is, “Prominent Ageless of Our Age” by Dethys Night, First Scribe of the Sacred Order. [Note: The contents of this book will become the NPC thread]

“You’ll get some use out of that. Dethys seems to know everything about everyone. I’d tell you to seek him out when you get to Avalon, but since you are a magic-user, Dethys will find you. I’m sure of that… I’ve seen it. No matter where the path divides from here, there are certain points in our futures that seem to stay static… that is one of them. Dethys Night will find you…” she repeats with certainty.

“The others should be here soon enough. I glimpsed them, though I must admit, I know less about them than I’d like to. You’ll get to know them quite well. Perhaps even come to rely on them. As far as when they will get here… well, “when’s” are also dynamic. The flow of time changes. All I can tell you is that it will be soon.”

“You were the first, Fenwick… The first in months… So many have been swayed by the Forsaken… so many have been lost upon the journey here… but the journey is necessary. Few mortals could ever hope to even make it this far. I suppose THAT is why they decided to stick me in the middle of a desert. Really, I should be used to it. I spent almost the entirety of my mortal life alone… Why should it stop now? Maybe they figured since I was already accustomed to it, it wouldn’t be such a big deal that I was out here alone.”

She twirls a golden lock in her fingers and you correctly guess that this is a bit of a nervous habit for her. Despite her infinite power, she seems strangely vulnerable to you. “You know… I wouldn’t tell any of the others all this, but you… you’re special, Fenwick. I can see that… Clear as day.” She seems lost in thought for a moment and she offers you a weak smile.

“You asked me how old I am…” She giggles a bit. “Well, as far as chronologically old… I’ve been here hundreds of years… My best guess is about 800. Are you opposed to older women, Fenwick?” She drums her fingers upon her book. “Now… my body is a different story. That is one of the perks to being an Ageless. I was in my mid-20’s… about 26 or 27 when I… passed.” Her gaze becomes distance and she falls into silence. You get the feeling that those glimpses of scars you see go far deeper than she is willing to show you. “One day… you will ask me about that, too. And when you do… I will answer you. But today will not be that day.”

“As for the rune and the… view…” She blushes considerably. “You owe me no gratitude. They were never mine to begin with… Both of these things were already yours. Some things are static.” She smiles slightly and her gaze shifts back to the book upon her lap. She feigns concentration on the pages before her, but you know that her attention is still firmly focused upon you.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 04:40:48 AM »
Dethys, Blood, Fury. They had some odd names for Ageless. Fenwick hoped that he wouldn't be forced to pick something like that. Fenwick seemed to be good enough to him.

But he could understand what she meant. Even the representation of the Keeper made him feel like a little baby about to curl up and sleep, just what exactly would the other beings be like? He blinked. How could anyone really want to join the wayward Ageless?

He notices her repression, but does not say anything. There was a time for words and a time for being quiet, this one for being quiet.

She talks about the generals, about her refusing to abandon her post. Admirable traits, condemning one's interests for society, but she deserved to be able to go wherever she wanted to didn't she? As he's about to reply, she makes mention about making her own company... before a second Cleo appears right next to him, body and all.

Amazed, he almost jumps back and would've done so if the seat had not prevented him. Fenwick notes the chess set, but before he could inspect and feel how real this second her was, the second Cleo suddenly exclaims,

'I always win!'
'You do not!' The first Cleo had said.

He turns his head to each one as they speak, hearing no difference in their voice. Their gestures were almost identical, save for the final snap after which the second Cleo disappears.

"I can be so very disagreeable sometimes. I irrate myself."

Really? Right now she seemed very agreeable to him. Especially since he had never considered the possibility of a second self before. Thinking of the possibilities, the images of he, himself and him, sitting about a campfire, reading all the magical books and lore, drinking some tea. Then the idea of killing his clone seeps in. Would that be suicide or murder?

She makes mention of Dethys and how he can help, saying that some paths were static. She tells him how the others would come, admitting that she knows little about them herself. She explains why they were currently in the middle of the desert. Fenwick frowns at the last explanation. Seems stupid enough to walk across thousands of miles only to get shocked to near-death again.

Yet he does not dwell for too long as he notices her twirling again. She seemed just like a little girl, sitting there with a children's book. "...You're special, Fenwick, I can see that... Clear as day."

Totally special. Who in their lifetime would have a chance to meet an old woman in the desert who shocks them turns them into a beautiful woman and then appears naked only to stop when an orb appears.

He gasps slightly. That was a long thought.

But that had not stopped him from keeping track of the conversation. She was 800 years old! That was like dating his great-great-great-great-super-great-grandmother. But her body was just about right, not too old, not too young. A perfect combination of mature soul and tender flesh.

Mentally, he slaps and punishing himself for thinking these. But her next statement lessens his self punishment. Afterall, if it was in his future that he would see a lovely 800-year-old-woman-with-a-20-something-year-old-body flash herself to him, what could he do about it?

He sees her waiting for his response. Thinking back, he remembers the near-emotional outburst she had and attempts to move his arm across her shoulder. She was lonely, just like he currently was. She had given up everthing she had to maintain her post, just like how he had given up his whole damned life for one book...

Fenwick nearly tears up at that thought. The book that would betray him.

However, one more thought crosses his mind. With his arm still hovering behind her shoulder, he asks: "So if I can alter the future save for some points... and you said that today isn't the day you'll tell me about those scars... but what's stopping you?" His face turns to her square in the eyes as he smiles. "How'd you get those scars?"

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 06:00:15 PM »

Faran Beshral had been in the company of the mages for nearly four years when he was visited by the creature. It could have easily passed as a cat when viewed at a great distance, but its unnatural blue fur would have quickly betrayed it as being something else. The small beast slinked through the shadows with the grace of something that required neither light nor direction to easily find their way; it knew exactly where it was going.

The mages and their constant companion had stopped to rest for the night when the creature finally caught up to them. Its gaze scanned the area around the small campfire, and the beast could see the recipient of the message seated upon a log. The man’s head was cocked to one side as if he was listening to something and his eyes were closed in silent reflection.

The cat-like interloper frowned… as much as a cat-like interloper can frown. Truth be told, had anyone looked upon the creature in that instant, its expressions would have appeared suspiciously human in nature.

The cat quickly approached the camp and made its way towards its target. It stopped just beside the log and looked up at the man with irritation.

“What is that?” spoke one of the mages.

“Is that a cat?” questioned another.

“Not any cat I’ve ever seen.”

Faran opened his eyes and turned his head to look at the small, furry creature that had sidled up beside him. He had always possessed an affinity for animals, but when he reached down to touch the beast, it opened its mouth, emitting a soft “meow.”

However, this typically benign display had an interesting effect upon the mages that had gathered around the campfire. As soon as the creature’s inky black lips had parted, each and every person, save for Faran, had fallen over where they stood.

Before Faran had the opportunity to do or say anything, the cat-like creature looked up at him with annoyance clearly displayed upon his furry face. “You’re late,” said the cat irritably. “I’ve been tracking you for almost four years, you know? Have you no decency? Have you any idea how hard one must work to move their stubby, furry little haunches to keep pace with a group of magic-touched humans? No… I don’t suppose you would, now would you? Ugh…”

The cat-like beast rolled its eyes and lifted a paw to its lips. It began to lick furiously, and as it did so, something white began to work its way to the surface of his fur. When finally it stopped licking itself, a small envelope with a wax seal slowly appeared in its glossy, blue fur. It shook its entire body and the envelope dropped to the dirt to be collected by the intended recipient.

“There! Message delivered! Good luck to you and all that. The journey won’t be easy, but I hear the Witch of the Wastes is a gracious host.” The cat turned back in the direction it had come. “Don’t worry about your friends there. They’ll awake thinking that they had a fantastically good time. ” As the cat began to saunter away, it stopped in its tracks, as if pondering something. “And do me a favor, will you? Message for a message? If you… when you, see Dethys Night, you tell him that Cyan says we’re even.” 

With that, the creature vanished, leaving Faran to wonder after him.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You’re not exactly sure how far you have travelled. There is little use for any measurements when all you can see before you is endless stretches of coarse, grating sand. Though you can still feel the leylines, the further you venture into the Wastes of Faranas, the more difficult it becomes to perceive them. Though each song still resonates deep within you, there is at least a small part of you that fears somehow their melodies have become muted in this abysmal place.

Days and nights have passed uneventfully, and as much as you would like to stop to rest, the note instructed you that you should not stop for anything until you reach your destination. Oddly enough, the note didn’t exactly tell you what you were even looking for, only that you would know it when you saw it.

As the sun begins to set on the seventh day of your journey, you find yourself suddenly rooted to an unremarkable spot upon the earth. As much as you attempt to will your feet forward, it is as if something is grasping you in its unrelenting clutches, unwilling to let you pass.

You notice the sand around you begins to churn in a clockwise fashion, and as its motion becomes faster and faster, you find that you are still unable to move. The sand begins to creep up to your ankles, but it does not stop its ascent. It reaches your knees… your thighs… your waist… and you begin to feel yourself sinking into the depths of the desert.

As the wandering Wastes begin to close upon your neck and engulf your face, you find it unusual that you can still breathe perfectly. Though it seems the earth itself is swallowing you, you feel strangely at peace in the embrace of the endless desert.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Within the tent, Cleo pauses, considering what Fenwick has just said. She rubs at her arms self-consciously as she reflects upon how they must appear to him. Surely he must think her far less beautiful for the fine, red lines that contort her nearly perfect complexion.

“I suppose that is a valid statement… But I fear we are doomed to be…” She  cocks her head to one side as if listening for something. A smile creeps across her lips and she looks at Fenwick with excitement sparkling in her eyes. “Interrupted…There… The Singer draws near… ” informs Cleo.

She quickly rises to her feet and as she does so, her back begins to curve uncomfortably, giving her a hunched, decrepit appearance. Her pale, smooth skin becomes saggy and liver-spotted with the typical blemishes of advanced age. Her beautiful blonde hair loses its luster and fades to a dull, unremarkable gray. Even her vibrant, blue eyes lose their sparkle, their color muting to an understated hue.

However, now that you have seen her form, her craggy skin looks more unnatural to you, seeming more a mask than a true face. Perhaps that is the only flaw in her glamour; once you have seen the truth, it is much more difficult to conceal one’s true identity.

She turns her eyes to the roof of the tent and frowns. She pulls a chair over to her and points a finger skyward. In the direction she had gestured, a swirling mass of purple light begins to manifest in the roof of the tent. Moments later, a body falls through the small portal and is deposited into the waiting chair.

A paralyzed human looks up at you, his face frozen in a look of surprise. Cleo places her hand upon his forehead and she closes her eyes in concentration. Quite suddenly, she pulls back her hand and gazes down upon her fingertips. “Cold…” She glances back towards Fenwick before returning her attention to the new arrival.

“Sorry about this, Singer. Though you have great control over your songs, I have seen in you a predisposition to lose control. I cannot risk you injuring me. Again… I’m sorry.” She presses her thumbs into the man’s eye sockets and Fenwick knows what is about to transpire. Shocks of spider-web lightning are expelled through her fingers and into the man’s eyes. Despite the fact the man’s body is still paralyzed, the entirety of his form begins to convulse violently before collapsing to the floor in a twitching heap. After several moments, his body goes still and blood begins to pour from his lips.

Cleo sighs heavily. “Damn it! Not again! I’ll have to send a report back to Avalon. It appears the Forsaken are onto this place again.” Cleo moves to rid the tent of the corpse, but before she can summon the appropriate spell, another person is conveyed through the portal and into the chair.

Cleo sighs. “I hope it really is you, Faran Beshral… And if you are you… Well, I apologize for this, but your power is far too great to be taken lightly.”

Cleo quickly repeats the same process, but as this stranger ends his unwilling dance of twitching and writhing, he blinks rapidly and pulls himself into a sitting position.

Faran Beshral finds himself in a tent with a young man and a craggy-faced old woman. The woman looks down upon you and presses something moist to your lips. You find that you instantly regain control over your body. As you regain your faculties, Cleo snaps her fingers, dispelling her disguise, and you are met with the visage of a comely, young blond woman with dazzling azure eyes.

“I am glad to meet you, Faran. I am Cleo Seer. This…” she pauses to gesture to the young man nearby. “This is Fenwick Hux, and he will be your traveling companion. Again, I’m terribly sorry for the… well… the shocking you to death… though you’re not actually dead, so I suppose it really wasn’t shocking you to death. If you would have been a vile, evil traitor like this fellow…” she gestures to the still warm corpse of the Forsaken operative. “Well, then I guess it would have been shocking you to death. Anyway... sorry.”

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »
"Apology.. um.. accepted." I said as my eyes darted quickly around the room. The eyes that has just burned with nigh unbearable pain when the old hag had pressed her tumbs to them. I tried to take in as much as possible and try to put as many pieces together as possible.

Let's see: I had just been in a desert. The Symphony was enticingly loud there. Must have been a nexus of leylines. Whatever was there had held me in place, the sun baking me where I stood. I had stood there for maybe ten minutes. Then without warning I was dumped unceremoniusly into a chair in a rather spacious and comfortable tent. Still paralysed and confused we continued onto the aforementioned eye pain. A dead man lay on the floor to my right, a live man sat in a chair to my left, a young woman who obviously wielded intense power stood over me.

In the few seconds I'm sure it too me to process things, I thought them over. If either of them wanted me dead I'd already be dead. I'd already been in their power long enough for that. Being Ageless I knew there was only one way to kill me. They either didn't know it, or they did know it and were going to hold it over me. She had said this “Fenwick” was going to be my travelling companion. I could only guess he was an Ageless too. Was she holding the same thing over him? Out of the corner of my eye he looked calm. Perhaps a bit contemplative. That brought a bit of ease to my mind. If he looked nervous or paniked I would know something was up.

Attacking was out of the question. I was far outclassed here. I heard the Song when this woman pressed her thumbs to my eyes. The Leyline of Cosmos responded to her. I could barely hear that Song as far away as it was. But I remember hearing it once many years ago when my story began. Yes, I was FAR outclassed here. I wanted to be gone from here. FAST. Too many unknowns.

I heard all the Songs here. Which was rare. Which explains why this woman, Cleo, was able to operate in this place. I heard the Song of Soul which could protect me from her, marginally. I focused on it, but made no attempt to Sing to it. Any attempt to protect myself might be seen as potentially hostile.

“There is no need for you to fear from us, you are among friends.” She said suddenly.

THAT got my attention. Could she read my mind? No, she may have read it on my face. She was smiling at me! She knew that she had thrown me off balance! Was this woman trying to infuriate me!? She was enjoying the position she had me in.  Distraction. That's what I needed. Change the subject... The man lying on the floor next to me.

“Who is- was this man?” In my mind I added 'Was he “displeasing” to you?'. If she really could read my mind, let her chew on that.

“Ugh, a pawn of the Forsaken, “ She said with a dismissive wave of her hand. “He was made up to be like you, so they can infiltrate this meeting.” She sighed. “That's why the..” she waved a finger in a circle around her own eyes “.. eye thing.”

That made me hesitate too. Now I noticed it, this man was slightly cold. Noticeable even at this proximity. The Forsaken knew me. I had read extensively about the factions in the Ageless. The Forsaken were the ones who wanted to enslave humanity. It chilled me that the “enemy” knew who and what I was. They knew my skin was chilled, did they know that it was my weakness? Was I exposing myself by coming here? What kind of securtiy were these so called, “Bulwark of Heaven” running anyway? For someone fighting a war these didn't seem entirely competent if even a country bumpkin like me could notice these holes. Heh, I had her now.

“You say this man was made up to be like me. How do the Forsaken know who I am well enough to know that it's cold around me? The, being, that brought me the message mentioned it took four years for it to find me. In that time, the Forsaken have learned that I was invited, learned nearly everything about me, made an operative to be like me AND got him here before I arrived.”

I paused. “Now, I don't want to sound confrontational, “ Okay that part was a lie. “But it sounds like you're at a serious disadvantage. The Forsaken know more than you do and they're faster than you. It sounds like there are holes in your organization. “ I paused again. “Now I don't like the idea of the Forsaken. Personally, I'd like to kick all their asses.” I smiled. I certainly would like to kick their asses. Anyone who victimizes the weak should be put down. HARD. “But I'm feeling a bit exposed here. If your organization isn't secure, I'm going to show myself the door. I can fight the Forsaken on my own.” I stood and turned toward the exit, but paused to see if this Seer had anything to say.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 12:58:53 AM »
   “Hahahaha!” Cleo grabs her sides and tears begin to well in her eyes as she laughs uproariously. “My, my, ye of little faith! The Ageless at a disadvantage? Faran, the visions informed me you were intelligent! I have never known them to be incorrect.”

“The fact of the matter is I knew the impostor would be here. Really, it was just a subject of when. Though I must admit their doppelgangers have become increasingly more intricate. I am impressed despite myself.” She nudges the corpse with her foot. “It was really only a matter of time. Of course they knew who you are; hey know who all of us are. Severan Deceit is one of the Elders… at least he is since he slaughtered the Elder Council…” Cleo becomes silent for a moment and her gaze becomes distant.

She shakes her head as if dispelling a memory. “Just as the Archon receives his gifts from the Divine, so does Severan Deceit acquire his through the Adversary. Severan is recruiting, and the ranks of his Forsaken are swelling to terrifying numbers. Why? Because they are young… they are skeptical… just like you… He preys upon their vulnerabilities and convinces them that his way is the only way, and that is why, in the end, nearly all of them will fall for the second and final time. They never had the chance to reach Avalon and look upon the face of the Archon so that they may know peace, and have the honor to live amongst the Elders. Thus, Severan can easily devour their hopes… it is a meager task for him to bend the Young Ones, the Childer Immortalis such as you and Fenwick, to his will. I may not be able to promise a complete victory for my people, but I do know that legions of the Young Ones will die before the war is over.”

“I have seen a glimpse of your future, Faran, and I can tell you with complete certainty, if you leave this place, within a year’s time, Severan Deceit will personally come to collect you. He takes a special interest in you, because of the unusual way in which you wield the Arts. You would make quite a prize for him, I’m sure.”

“Yes… you are exposed. Severan has allocated a great deal of resources to learning more about you… even going so far as to capture a few of those villagers that you tried so hard to protect. Do not worry; they are safe. Blood went to collect them some time ago and it seems Severan is still seething over their release. And of course they knew you would be here. All new Ageless are sent here. That has always been the way of it.”

“I can tell you this much… if Dethys had not the forethought to grant you his protection, Severan would have found you already.” Cleo holds a mirror up to you and you are surprised to find that there a faint, glowing blue sigil upon your forehead. “It is a Sigil of Shadow. I discovered your creation when you were Chosen, and Dethys used the orb to place his mark upon you.” Cleo gestures to a darkened orb in the corner of the room, the same orb that Keeper had spoken to her through.

“It has allowed you to remain hidden from those who would seek to harm you. It is a remarkable ward really. Even the recipient doesn’t usually know it’s there. Fortunately for me, I know the handiwork of Dethys Night.” Cleo presents her wrist and you see the same faint, glowing sigil upon her wrist.

“When I first arrived in Avalon, Dethys was my master. Eventually I became his equal and was given my own tasks, but I spent a great deal of time in his service. ‘So that none may see the Seer…’ That’s what he said anyway. It’s worked nearly perfectly.” She frowns, looking down at the corpse again. “But I see that Severan is up to his usual tricks. That’s alright. I’ve decided not to get rid of this body. Rather, I think I shall send Severan a gift.” She makes a quick gesture with her hand and the man upon the floor slowly crawls to his feet. She places her hand upon the creature’s forehead. “Take this to Darastae and give it to your Lieutenant.” She places a small rune in the animated corpse’s outstretched hand before banishing him from her presence. He disappears in a flash of light, and there is no further trace of him.

Cleo grins wickedly. “I may not have passage into the Darastae, City of the Forsaken, but surely one of his minions would. This will set Lieutenant Cauter back several weeks.” 

She returns her attention to Faran. “As for your weakness, that is easy to figure out. A simple tap upon your furrowed brow was enough to tell me that. As for your message, and its subsequent tardiness, that can be easily explained. If memory serves, that message was entrusted to a certain fellow named Cyan. Why Dethys entrusted HIM with it I will never know. He is infamous for his procrastination, and though I’m sure he lamented that it took forever to get to you, I am willing to bet that he’s only actually been traveling about a week, that wretched lout. One should never trust a Cath-Palug with an important message.”

Cleo looks at Faran, studying him closely. “You were at least wise enough to keep your Songs under control. I have no desire to kill you, but yes… you are severely outmatched. I have been granted over 800 years to learn my Arts. Personally, I find your wretched hubris appalling, Faran. You honestly think that you, in your meager few years, know more of the security of our organization than I do? Such a thought would be an affront to the greatness of the Archon. It is HE who asked me to come here.”

Her eyes flash red and you get the feeling that your challenges against the security of the Ageless have greatly angered her, likely because the woman before you is THE primary security system of the Ageless. “I could flay you where you stand before even a word of the Song could pass your lips.”

You become strangely uncomfortable, and you feel all of the leylines to which you are attuned tremble terribly. This is a being of immense power, a creature unlike any you have encountered before. You feel the song within you crash against your very soul like tumultuous waves being sent to weather the shore.

“Do not mistake me for some mere conjurer, Faran Beshral. I guarantee… It will be the last thing that you do. The door is there: stay or go. What you choose to do is of little consequence to me, but once you leave this place, I can assure you, that you will never find your way to this place again. If you wish to fight the Forsaken on your own, then do so. I only hope we have time enough to wrest your soul from the Adversary before he consumes it."

"I have fulfilled my task, Faran. You have found your way here, I have verified your identity, and whether you choose to go to Avalon or fall victim to the Forsaken is entirely up to you. I suggest you make your decision quickly. Once the others arrive, I will open the gates to Avalon, and once they have passed, your chance will go the way of the winds.”
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:02:37 AM by Faidth »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 03:29:44 AM »
The laughter made me turn. The insult slapped me in the face. Her explanations chilled my marrow. Her threats made me fear and her power nearly turned my bowels to water. Yeah, I definitely underestimated her. I took an involuntary step back from her and braced myself against the invisible and intangible onslaught of her mere presence. The Songs crescendo-ed around her, louder than anything I had ever experienced. I feared my ears would burst on account of them. I grit my teeth and flinched away.

A trap. That's what this was. A trap and I fell into it. If I left, I'd fall victim to this Severan guy. If I stayed I'd be protected. Go and die, stay and live. But wait, what was it she said? I had been marked since I became an Ageless? So it was a trap from the beginning. From the moment I had been given a second chance these guys had me by the balls and I knew it to my very core. They didn't need to know my weakness, all they had to do was withdraw their protection and wait.

But, if you looked at it another way the Bulwark had yet given me a third chance. I had little reason to doubt this woman, this being's, words. I saw she was not lying to me to keep me here. They were giving me a fair chance to fight these Forsaken assholes. More than a fair chance if this sigil protected from whatever mental influence this Severan wielded. Hmph, so I guess I owed them one. A weak favor to owe seeing as how it wasn't a gift I asked for. But I owed them one none-the-less.

Wait. Shit. I owed them two. They saved those villagers who were kidnapped. Dammit. The words those people spoke when they drove me out had come true. I had brought misfortune worse than death to them like they said. The torture must have been worse than anything I could imagine. They would suffer still if I allowed the Forsaken to have their way with the world. I felt conflicted now. I was happy they were safe, mad at everything and myself for making them suffer on account of me. Madder still that I owed someone for cleaning up a mess I couldn't fix myself.

Still the Seer's angry power lashed at me while she waited for my answer. She certainly had given me a lot to chew on. In her short tirade she had doubled the knowledge I had gained from the dusty books the mages kept. I knew the score now and I had definitely got it in the quickest way possible. Archon and Adversary. Dethys and Severan. Symphony, if the Seer was this strong the power of Dethys and the Archon must be unimaginable. The same probably goes for this Severan and the Adversary. No wonder they can warp people's minds into losing hope. Wait, “affront to the greatness of the Archon”? She reveres the Archon as a god then. Mental note: Try not to piss off god. Post Script: Try to avoid meeting god altogether. I'd take this Archon's orders but I draw the line at worshipping him.

So it came down to eating a little crow. With each passing minute I disliked this Seer chick more and more. It irked the hell out of me that I had to bend my neck to her. She had insulted and threatened me. I forced myself to meet her eyes. Those blazing angry eyes. They made me want to flee in terror, to run to the farthest corner of the world and just Sing for the rest of my life. But I still had my pride. I forced myself to smile. I think it may have come off more like a sneer though. A smile through gritted teeth. Gritted to keep them from chattering.

“I find your, arguments,” I said, forcing as much sarcasm into my voice as possible on 'arguments', “... to be rather compelling.” When did I turn into such an insolent asshole? I guess being cornered and bullied factored into it.

Oh yeah Faran, that was smart. You just HAD to mouth off again. In a way I felt accomplished that I had gotten on her nerves. Setting my new-found smugness aside I had to continue.

“It seems I have little choice but to join with the Bulwark.” I said. “If I wish to live.” I added as an after thought.

Yes. I would join with them. Yes, I'd be their hound. Their caged wolf. To be released when the hunt was on. To enjoy the hunt, yes, but to go back to my cage when it was over. I just hope that they remember that a caged animal still has teeth and, if abused, can BITE.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 03:15:33 PM by Faran Beshral »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 05:53:46 AM »
Since the entrance of this new man, Fenwick had kept quiet. The seer did her job--twice--and Fenwick observed her--twice. The technique itself was simple: stab the eyes, course lightning through them, profit.

But the reaction of this man, this Faran, had shocked Fenwick. Moments after accepting Cleo's apology, he had questioned the security system of the place. How dare he! No organisation, no individual, was perfect!

Still, he could understand. If he had found a body of himself on the ground, he would've felt the same way... just not up to that degree.

The things they said really puzzled him though. Something about songs and villagers being saved. Her following rage showed about her, and Fenwick drank at the magic, while simultaneously fearing for his own life. He himself had underestimated so much about her, and the vulnerability he had sensed earlier on had simply disappeared. They were non-existent, as if the Cleo he knew was someone else enitrely.

"I find your, arguments, to be rather compelling."

Fenwick whacked his palm on his face, a small groan emitting from his throat.

"It seems I have little choice but to join with the Bulwark, if I wish to live.'

Selfish. Arrogant. Annoying. And HE was his fellow companion? Fenwick groaned again.

Suddenly, the magic around her just vanished, and she had once again changed back into her beautiful self. The smile she had painted her an entirely different colour. As he reached out to Cleo's shoulder, he felt something from Faran, and struggled for a moment to identify it.

"Are you okay?" He asks Cleo, finally risking a hand to her shoulder, eyes full of concern shifting past her and turning passive as he locked eyes with the newcomer. Fenwick studied him as if he were a prey. That Faran fellow may be older, but at that moment, Fenwick could feel nothing but pity for him. He knew what he felt now. Faran seemed so...animal. But he attempts a smile, and says, "I am Fenwick Hux, as Cleo told you. I hope we'll be able to get along."

Then a thought strikes him. There was something about a rune mentioned inside. Cleo's one had been on her wrist. From what he gathered from the conversation, Faran seemed to have been Ageless for longer than he had... and he had a rune. Suddenly in his own world, Fenwick starts pulling back on his cloth sleeves as he tries to find any signs of a rune or magic.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:33:41 AM by john greymore »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 05:31:51 PM »
   Cleo looks back at Fenwick and smiles as she notices your protective hand upon her shoulder and the look of concern upon your face. Fenwick feels a wash of something warm, a deep inner radiance enveloping you, as if every care that had ever bore upon you was disintegrated from space and time.

When she apologizes again, it is to Fenwick and not Faran. “I must apologize, Fenwick,” she says quietly. “I am the Lady of the Mists and the Guardian of the Gates. For one to challenge my abilities just makes me so…” Her face flushes again, and she shakes her head to dispel her feelings of annoyance. “I can promise you this, Wicky… I will never become so angry towards you… ever. Please… I do not wish for you to fear my power. Perhaps... perhaps even one day I might share a bit of it with you.”

She noticed that Fenwick was examining himself for some sign of the Sigil of Shadow and she places her hand upon your shoulder. “You do not bear the Sigil of the Shadow, for there are other powers that kept you hidden from the Forsaken.” She points to the book. “You died for that tome… I suppose it owed you a favor. You, Wicky, may be in need of a Sigil in the future, but should you acquire one, it shall not come from Dethys Night.” She smiles slightly and as she goes to remove her hand, her fingertips trail along his shoulder, leaving a slight tingle in their wake.

Cleo returns her attention to the impertinent new arrival and raises an eyebrow at Faran. “No one is twisting your arm, Faran. If you wish to go to Avalon, it must be of your own volition. It is of no consequence to me what you decide to do.”

She rubs her chin thoughtfully. “Furthermore, I do not know how you are aware of the Bulwark, but you are quite remiss in believing that you may simply ‘join.’ As if you are made to choose!” Cleo snorts. “The Bulwark does not just accept any Ageless, Faran Beshral. You must prove yourself worthy. In the end it will be General Fury who decides whether or not you are to be accepted into their elite ranks, and if you show her the same insolence that you have shown me, you will likely wish that you were never born. The Raven-Wing Knight is the Archon's bride and beloved. She will not endure any disrespect towards her, or her people.”

“Even more than she, perhaps, is the Archon. He is our leader, and it is he who is the conduit of the Divine. The Divine- whatever he, she, it, or they are- speaks through the Archon and offers him guidance so that he may properly lead our people. It is the Divine that chooses us to become Ageless, and it is the Archon who fosters us, who shepherds us, who keeps us safe, and leads the war against the Forsaken, those who have turned a blind eye to the Divine. But Dethys is the authority on the history of our people, and also one of the few amongst us to know the secrets of the Forsaken.”

Suddenly, she smiles, and a look of genuine happiness affects her face. She raises her eyes skyward and grins. “Is that really you, old friend?”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Sembas finds the message tightly clasped in Faile’s beak. Though your beloved falcon finds many ways to communicate all manner of things to you, she betrays nothing as to when or where it had come. She merely drops the envelope into your hands and turns her body in the direction of the Wastes of Faranas. You know little of the Wastes: only that no one ever goes there, and the few who are foolish enough to venture in that direction never return.

This thought makes you a bit uneasy, but Faile rubs her feathered head against your hand and you find yourself comforted by this small gesture. She has always seemed to know more than she rightfully should, and you know in your heart she would never willingly lead you into danger.

Like the others before you, you make your way into the endless desert, and for seven grueling days, you journey through the Wastes. There is little to be found there; there are no plants, no animals, and no evidence of any kind of life. You have already used all the water you had brought with you, and you were kind enough to gift the last few, meager drops to Faile, who laps them up thirstily with her parched tongue.

You travel a bit longer and desperately want to stop, but Faile encourages you to continue onward. At dusk, Faile suddenly begins to circle around your head in swooping arcs of unbridled glee as you hear a voice upon the wind.

“Is that really you, old friend?” 

You have seen Faile happy before, but this is easily the most joy you have seen her experience in quite some time. Where the voice came from, you do not know, but you are quite certain you are about to find out.

A few paces ahead of you, the air begins to shimmer, and what had once been a vacant place in the sand instantaneously becomes occupied by a tent. The flap of the tent is thrown open and a gorgeous, long-haired blonde woman emerges from within. She does not look at you at first as her gaze is firmly set upon Faile. However, as the woman dashes towards your companion, you do not feel threatened by her as her outstretched arms and genuine smile tell you what you need to know.

“Faile!” The strange woman wraps her arms around the bird and you see Faile nuzzle her beak against the woman’s neck. “It’s been so long! I see you finally made it to your Master! I am so pleased that you finally found someone, my dear girl! Look how you’ve grown!”

Something passes between them and the woman turns her gaze to you. “Sembas Filden… I am pleased to meet you. A friend of Faile’s is a friend of mine. I am so elated to see you both. I knew she would get you here safely. I haven’t seen her since she was but a hatchling and I cannot compliment you enough for taking such care with her. When she passed over the Wastes, she was barely out of her egg, but she was strong and resilient. I knew it was only a matter of time before she would find the Master she sought. It is so rare for a wild falcon to choose a Master you know; they are fiercely independent creatures.”

“Come.” She beckons you to follow her into the tent and when you enter, you see two young men already present. “These are Fenwick Hux and Faran Beshral. You will come to know them soon enough.” She pats you on the back. “I am so glad that I may avoid the authentication with you. These two had a rather bad time of it, but since Faile is with you, there is no mistaking you.”
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:33:17 AM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 06:54:40 PM »
There is no cover in the desert.  If anyone was watching they could see us from miles away.  Sembas thought to himself, drawing his hood over his eyes as a gust of wind blew sand in his face.

For the umpteenth time...

He felt silly in is green cloak.  Had he known they were going to be in the desert for so long he would have found a tan one to match the landscape.  Another gust of wind cakes his mouth with sand.  Instinctively he reaches down to the water flask at his hip.  Only to grasp it in frustration when he remembers that they had finished it the day before.  Faile was as happy as a pig in mud, flying ahead of him.  She wouldn't let on about where they were heading, no matter how much he prodded.  Sembas only knew that she was in a very good mood ever since she dropped off that small letter.

Faile's happiness was coming through in waves now.  Sembas couldn't help but smile also.  The sun was setting lazily in the west and the desert was beginning to cool from the day's heat.  He was about to ask what she was so happy about, but before he could he heard a voice on the wind.

"Is that really you, old friend?"

That was not Faile's voice...  Sembas's head snaps up to the sky, scanning for any other birds in the area.  Nothing.  His eyes dart from here to there, scanning the seemingly endless stretch of sand around him.  His bow is already unslung and his hand is fingering an arrow when the air begins to shimmer before him.  A tent pops into view a few paces in front of him.  A beautiful woman steps out and dashes towards Faile.  He felt no unease from his falcon, and the woman did not seem to have any ill intent.  Sembas drops the arrow back into the quiver and slings his bow back over his shoulder as the woman and Faile embrace.  He never knew Faile to tolerate strangers.  It took even his father a few months before she would let him touch her.

The woman explains their friendship.  Sembas grins at the word master, and outright chuckles when she says that falcons are "... fiercely independent creatures."

"Sometimes I'm not sure which one of us could be considered the Master of our pairing."  Sembas says, as he follows the woman into the tent.  Once inside Faile flaps over and rests on his shoulder.  She was still visibly excited from seeing an old friend and refused to sit still.  Sembas pats her head and she settles a bit.  With a smile he turns to the men in the tent with him.

"Gentlemen.  Nice to meet you."  He says with a nod.  "It seems fate has drawn us to the middle of nowhere together."

Turning to the woman, he continues.  "I must admit this is all rather new to me.  I'd wager that you were the one who gave the message to Faile that she delivered?  I've never known her to be so secretive."  He says, with a glance at Faile.  "Whatever this authentication process is...  I suppose I'm greatful that I was able to avoid it.  If it is bad as you say."  He pauses for a moment, contemplating.  "You already seem to know my name, miss.  May I ask yours?"

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 01:51:13 AM »
   A smile stretches across Cleo’s face as she tenderly strokes the feathers beneath Faile’s chin. “I am Cleo Seer. The first is my own name, and the second is the name the Archon granted me. To be truthful, I am not sure if he chooses the names based upon our innate merits, or if we become the name after he has imparted it upon us. It is quite peculiar.” She appears thoughtful for a moment as she contemplates this.

“At any rate, I am ever so pleased that you and little Faile…” She pauses for a moment and tenderly pats Faile upon her head. “Well, I guess you aren’t so little any more, my dear.” She chuckles and the tinkling laughter that is emitted from her pretty lips brings warmth and comfort to all who are willing to embrace it.

“The visions told me that you would be coming, Sembas Filden, and that Faile would be accompanying you, but the message was not my doing. Dethys Night is in charge of that kind of thing. I am just simply tasked with getting you to where you need to be.  You have an exceptional guardian in Faile here, though I would have expected no less of her. As for her silence about your journey here, well… I don’t think I need to tell you this, but one would be surprised by the secrets a falcon can keep.” She winks at Faile and the bird shudders with delight, as if amused by this statement.

She turns to the gentleman beside her. “Gracious… I have been an awful host, Fenwick,” she says apologetically. “You have all had such a long journey and I have not yet offered you sustenance.” Cleo busily bustles about the tent to gather plates and utensils. She begins piling these things on a tray as she says, “What I can offer here is quite meager compared to the feast you will surely enjoy in Avalon.”

She puts the tray upon the table in the center of the room then raises her arms into the air. As she does so, her fingers begin to make unusual pulling motions and you notice that she begins to extract various items from the air itself. You are likely surprised to see her pull an entire roasted turkey, saucers of fruit jams, exquisite pies, succulent cuts of what appears to be beef and lamb, and several mugs of strong ale and cider. Wordlessly, she sets all of these upon the tray for your use, allowing you to take whatever you please. 

She snaps her fingers and a plate of fresh fish appears in her hands. Smilingly, she offers this to Faile before seating herself upon an enormous plush pillow and helping herself to a turkey leg. “Hmm… This is almost everybody, I believe. We shall give the others just a bit more time, and if they do not make it by the time day breaks again, I shall simply have to send you to Avalon on your own… those of you who wish to go anyway.” She raises an eyebrow in Faran's direction before digging in to her meal.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:30:10 AM »
Fenwick smiles at Cleo's words. "No, I don't fear your power. Don't worry Cleo, I know you won't be... as long as I don't do something like that." He grins a little, but it quickly disappears as he realises that Faran might take that as an insult. Cleo's indirect suggestion of the book protecting him adds more weight to his growing burden. In a short span of time, perhaps even less than an hour, he had learned that his book, perhaps, had a mind of its own. He wasn't sure if he felt more surprised or more scared. A guardian? Or a contract? It didn't seem to matter though, with Cleo around him, but as soon as her fingers left him, he felt alone and heavier than before. If that feeling was magic, he didn't mind it. In fact, he wanted it even more than anything else.

Fenwick stores the information that she tells Faran, noting that the Divine had not been identified. But this Archon and her wife--general Fury?--would be interesting to meet. Her sudden cry to the heavens startles him though and he jumps slightly with her sudden change in mood. Moments later, a hooded man walked in, though strands of his brown hair could be seen. Again, he withdraws into his introverted self, observing and noting everything that happens. The most obvious aspect was that this new man wouldn't be shocked.... sadly. But this one had more manners than the previous ones, and Cleo was now talking to the falcon, calling it 'Faile'. Images of himself talking to his book swam into his mind temporarily.

"Gracious... I have been an awful host, Fenwick". His shoulders droop a little when she used his full name, but he quickly, silently forgave her. He suddenly recalled her talking to Faran about him not needing to worry and mentioning outright that he was outnumbered. Perhaps she could mind read? He hoped that she didn't, or well... part of him didn't. The other part of him screamed for her to do so, to join with him mentally.

The mention of food and drink reminds him of the seven day journey he himself had undertaken, along with all the hunger pangs and thirst associated with it. But Cleo's next move strikes him as strange. Why had she not just conjured the plates and spoons and other food stuff? Attempting silent communication, he thinks, 'Cleo, you can't conjure up the utensils?', and augments the thought by staring at her face... or tried to. His eyes just kept wondering to her body. He wondered if she could read his subconcious thoughts too. Now that would be scary.

For now though...

Turkey! Jam! Pies! A feast that he hadn't had in a long time! The merchant life had been simple, humbling, disciplining. Fenwick's stomach let out an embarressing growl and he smiles sheepishly. But he holds his appetite back for a little longer as he studies the newcomer as he had done with Faran. As he does so however, something at the back of his mind brought him to study the falcon too. She was majestic, and He, Sembas, beautiful and handsome at the same time.

Smiling, Fenwick extends his right hand out, stepping forward to Sembas. "Greetings...erm... Sembas was it? I'm Fenwick. Pleased to make your acquaintance." With his left hand, he gestures slightly to Faile, who was now devouring the plate of fish. "She's a beauty. I've never seen such a graceful thing." Except Cleo of course. Maybe he was getting attached to her too fast. He hoped that he wasn't. Things like these were like magic: If the foundation's weak, the entire structure would collapse.

Then again, with her age and experience, she might as well be magic.

"Oh, and just so you know, it's a bit disappointing that you didn't go through the authentication process. It's a... shock of a lifetime. Worth experiencing once." He chuckles at the thought and smiles warmly to Sembas.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:42:13 AM by Faidth »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 12:00:24 PM »
   As Cleo was bustling around the room to gather the necessary components, she stopped suddenly, raising an eyebrow and looking towards Fenwick who was gazing at her with a great deal of intensity.

“Cleo, you can't conjure up the utensils?”  he had said.

Cleo offers him a slight smile before giving her reply, but the rest of the party is not privy to this conversation. “Why waste magic when you have what you need at hand? Magic is not an abuse of power, Wicky. We use it to supplement what we need, not to take what we don’t. Besides…

Interrupted by your straying thoughts, her eyes widen as she looks down at the slightly exposed cleavage that peeks out of the front of her long, white gown.  “Apparently you are feasting on other things as well… Feel free to take your fill.” She offers you a wink before settling down upon her pillow.

“In case you are curious, I won’t simply invade your mind. That is a betrayal of trust and I take pride in preserving my honor. Unless the circumstances are extenuating, I won’t enter unless I am invited. So feel free to think whatever diabolical schemes enter your mind without fear of reprisal.” She smirks slightly and as she does so, adjusts the shimmering cloth around her bosom to further tease you.

She makes conversation with Faile as you begin to speak with Sembas.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 01:56:48 PM »
Sembas smiles back at Cleo as she introduces herself and explains a little more about the situation.  The Archon, names, this Dethys person.  She seemsd to know a great deal.  Sembas's head is spinning with all of the sudden commotion.  Mere moments ago he was wandering the endless desert.  Now he is sitting in a fancy tent with three other people.  They all must share his condition, that of undeath.  He didn't see any travelling gear, and no one except him was wearing anything fit for travelling.  At least, not any travelling in the places he was used to.

Faile is calm, at ease even.  She is usually the more alert one, always on the lookout for prey or dangers off in the distance.  But at the moment she is the most relaxed he's seen her for quite some time.  Any worries and reservations Sembas would have had about the situation are put to rest.  He trusted Faile more than anything, and if she was comfortable here there was no reason for Sembas to be uneasy.  As Cleo mentions her Sembas beams with pride.

"She is quite an extraordinary individual, yes."  Sembas remarks.  "She is an even better friend, save for a few secrets, it seems..."  Faile pecks at his gloved hand playfully.

Cleo begins pulling a feast out of the air.  Sembas is quite surprised at the amount of good smelling food that simply materializes out of nothing.  Faile glides over to the plate of fish and dives right in.  Sembas pays her no mind as Fenwick introduces himself.  Sembas shakes his hand and returns the smile. 

"Nice to meet you as well."  He says as he pulls his hood down off his head.  He blinks a few times as his eyes adjust to the light.  His hair is pulled back into a short ponytail behind his head.  A few strands are loose, having been blown out of place by the desert wind.  Now that his hood is down and his face isn't covered everyone can see the striking gold color of his eyes.  Turning back to Fenwick, he continues, "Thank you for the compliments.  Faile always enjoys to hear people talking so fondly of her.  I believe she's beginning to get a big head over it..."

Faile picks her head up from the half eaten fish and gives an annoyed chirp, eyeing Sembas.  He chuckles at her and you could swear that she rolls her eyes before she gets back to eating.

"I'm sorry to disappoint you over the authentication.  Shocking, you don't say?  Well, I've been know to call down the occasional bolt of lightning, if its any consolation."  He says with a grin.  "Excuse me a moment."

Sembas unstraps his spear and lays it against one of the support beams of the tent.  He lays his bow and arrows next to it.  With a rain of sand, the takes off his cloak and hooks it over the spear.  He's wearing a set of worn leather armor, nothing special to speak of.  There are a few patched tears and dried old bloodstains at random.  The gauntlet on his left arm is thicker than the rest and has a myriad of scratches covering it.  He leaves his long bowie knife strapped to his hip.  It was a pain to reattach the sheath once it is taken off.

"Now, Faile isn't the only one with an appetite!"  He says, as he piles a plate with meat.  With a sigh of relief, he sits down on a chair close to Faile and begins shoveling food into his mouth.

It had been a while since he had last eaten.  The hunting was good around his village, but having someone... cook?  ...for him was a treat.  He takes a sip of cider and lowers the cup slowly.  The pain of starvation was receeding.  Yet another reminder of his newfound immortality.  This would take some getting used to...

"So Fenwick, what talents do you have?  As you can see I am a falconer, by trade.  I am also an active member of my village's militia...  Or was, at least, until about a week ago..."
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 02:01:21 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 02:51:24 PM »
The arrival of the newcomer had given me the break in the tension I needed desperately. My annoyance at the Seer rose even more at her waiver of the test for this Sembas. Because she knew this bloody BIRD? I wanted desperately to call her security into question again, but restrained myself. Security was obviously a sore point for her and I didn't feel like being extra crispy today.

"No, I don't fear your power. Don't worry Cleo, I know you won't be... as long as I don't do something like that."

You'd better fear her power her power pal, I thought. She could fry you to a cinder before you could take your eyes off that bosom you're oogling. Wait, “..like that”? Was he taking a shot at me? That-! I needed to cool off before I did something stupid. At last I gave in to my instinct to flee just a little and retreated to the furthest corner of the tent I could. I heard the Seer introduce me as I was walking away. I gave a small wave of my hand without turning around. Didn't want to seem too off-putting. I may have to work with these people in the future, and I had nothing against them.

I sat on the carpeted floor and tried to relax my thoughts and my body. It had been a hell of a walk and a hell of a reception. I concentrated and emptied my thoughts until the only thing in them was the Song. It was relaxing. I was only there for a minute or so before I heard the Song react to something. I opened my eyes to see the Seer conjuring food out of the air. My stomach instantly rumbled, but I willed myself to stay put. After being so antagonistic to this woman I wasn't about to eat her food. Not that I thought it was poisoned or anything. It was just the principle of the thing.

So, they carried on as if they were all old friends. Fenwick and Sembas sat and ate hungrily, like I wished to do. The Seer fawned over that bird. A falcon I think. It seemed overly intelligent for a bird of its kind. Fenwick flirted and the Seer flirted back. The food smelled great and I sat in my corner.

I won’t simply invade your mind...” The Seer said. ”...I won’t enter unless I am invited.”

Oh is that right? I stared at her until her gaze swept over me again. When it did I nodded to her and cast a thought her way as our gaze met. Yes, I will go to Avalon. But I'm only in this to fight the Forsaken. Not to join the Order. I'm your ally not your toadie. Once this war is over I'm out.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2010, 03:10:35 PM »
   Cleo stops munching upon her turkey leg long enough to reply to Faran, who had willingly contacted her. She glances back at him, her mind effectively expressing her thoughts.

“As you wish. But I should warn you, Faran, the whole ‘winning the war’ concept may take longer than you are willing to commit to. Fighting the Forsaken requires the entirety of your will, not to mention your cooperation. The former I know that you have in spades… The latter is yet to be determined. However, I know that the others will likely benefit from your company. When the time comes, I will see that you, too, find your way through the gates.”

Cleo returns her attention to the turkey leg in her hand, using her teeth to rend another juicy bit of meat from the bone. She flicks her fingers skyward and you find yourself levitated into the air and deposited into a chair in your corner of solitude. A small table appears before you, followed by a rack of lamb that nearly clobbers you as it descends from the air and lands upon the newly-arrived plate before you. The mouth-watering meat is quickly joined by a heap of roasted potatoes and a platter of bread pudding. A frothy mug of rich, apple cider is added to the array and a candle in a silver holder is placed in the center. A fine, white, linen bib is stuffed into your lips but quickly rights itself around your neck. You correctly guess that your bib mishap was likely intentional. The Seer has obviously recognized your intentions to needle her, but despite your general obstinance, and her annoyance with you, she isn’t about to let you starve. 

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 12:59:07 PM »
Fenwick, though in conversation with Sembas, periodically sneaks peaks at Cleo and her adjusted clothing. He felt as if he was admiring a work of art, and that he was the only one allowed to admire it. But it wouldn't be a fair trade if he was teased without teasing back! It just wasn't fair business. Now was not the time though. He would do so when the time was appropriate. Besides, Faran seemed to be communicating with her right now, and she was trying to be a good host as Faran is seated upon a conjured chair with food on a conjured table. It wouldn't be civil to interrupt.

He focuses on the conversation with Sembas, hearing his comment about the occasional bolt of lightning. "Haha! That feels like child's play now. A simple flash before it disappears. The authentication process however, now that was discipline mixed perfectly with skill... albeit painful." He winces slightly at the memory, but a huge smile now hangs on his face as he watches Sembas unstraps his spear and uncloaks himself. Fenwick's eyes widened slightly when he saw the golden eyes, as sharp as the falcon itself, but quickly hid his surprise and tucked into his food with knife and fork.

"So Fenwick, what talents do you have?  As you can see I am a falconer, by trade.  I am also an active member of my village's militia...  Or was, at least, until about a week ago..."

After a very slight pause, Fenwick answered. "I was a merchant. But my personal hobby is magic. I am self-taught, with a book that somehow managed to fell into my hands." He points at the book which lay next to him casually, yet the hint of reverence is clear on his face. "It contains all the components required to make your own spells. I am fortunate and blessed to have such an item." He takes a bite off his food and downs a bit of tea. "Though perhaps, not as fortunate as you who has a living being as company. I was away from my parents for the duration of my apprenticeship, and my return was not what I imagined..." Fenwick's eyes droop a little and a slight sigh escapes his lips, but immediately after that, he looks straight into Sembas' eyes again.

"What about you? What happened to your village?"