Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Preparing to open the Epic Battle.  (Read 16755 times)

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Re: Preparing to open the Epic Battle.
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 04:27:29 AM »
So um, yah, big surprise. My computer is going senile and keeps forgetting its suppose to be storing infomation, instead it keeps loosing things (i.e. Yue's backstory- all of about 80% I had finished.) >.>;  I started rewriting it (for the umpteenth time) but wont have it in time for the EoT, if it doesnt go on for too long Ill have it for when the next epic battle starts.
Which would make more sense anyways with how I was making her story!

Awww, you serious?  That sucks.  Sure you can't manage it in time?

It seems to me it might be time to get a new PC...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:10:27 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
Personally, and this goes out to everyone else just in case, I would recommend the use of an extrernal hard drive or (more conveniently) the use of a Flash Drive. Keep your data mobile instead of saving it to your computer. That way if anything happens, such as a computer crash or an operating system fowl up or any of the other cases that have haunted past players during the days of the old boards, you'd have all of yoru data saved to a detatchable module.  But I'm sure everyone already does this, yes?
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2010, 12:12:31 AM »
Just a real quick note... real life has interfered yet again, and I will not be starting EoT tonight as planned. Hang in there, sorry for the turbulence.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2010, 11:52:24 PM »
Life comes first. I think we can all accept that.
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2010, 04:52:31 AM »
Personally, and this goes out to everyone else just in case, I would recommend the use of an extrernal hard drive or (more conveniently) the use of a Flash Drive. Keep your data mobile instead of saving it to your computer. That way if anything happens, such as a computer crash or an operating system fowl up or any of the other cases that have haunted past players during the days of the old boards, you'd have all of yoru data saved to a detatchable module.  But I'm sure everyone already does this, yes?

If by 'flash drive' you mean a USB stick (I hear them called all sorts of things... personally I call USB sticks 'flash drives' as well but sometimes people look at me funny) then I would shake my head vehemently to this advice.

I work at a helpdesk in an IT building and the sheer number of people who come in in tears because the only copy of their assignment/lab report/thesis/whatever was on a flash stick that has now stopped working is rather staggering.

Flash sticks are useful for moving data from point A to point B, but I would never use them as the primary storage device for my data.  They are unreliable and prone to simply dying for no good reason.  I've seen it often enough now that I make sure I never keep my most up-to-date copies of anything just on my flash stick.  Whatever computer I'm plugging it into, I'm sure to save a copy on there too.

But they are good for secondary backups.  And an external harddisk is even better for that purpose.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2010, 09:08:49 AM »
A good USB external hard drive is excellent for backups. I've already recovered from a catastrophic loss with mine once this year.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »
Personally, and this goes out to everyone else just in case, I would recommend the use of an extrernal hard drive or (more conveniently) the use of a Flash Drive.

A good USB external hard drive is excellent for backups. I've already recovered from a catastrophic loss with mine once this year.

And thus is my point proven.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 06:09:15 PM »
And thus is my point proven.

True, and I did say that an external harddisk is great for backups.  I only disagreed with the suggestion of conveniently keeping data 'mobile' on a Flash Drive, since they break too often to be a reliable storage medium.  Flash Drives are great for moving data from one machine to another, and ok for secondary backups, but I wouldn't rely on them to store my important data.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:48 PM »
So any idea when we might start?

Offline Yue Kurine

• Captain
  • Eh?
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »

Yah yah, that would make more sense, but each time my computer does something stupid like this I think it'll be the last time but it never is. One day ill get one of those fancy new state-of-the-art  usb-thingies you speak of. XP

Its totally time for a new computer.. Im just cant afford the addition debt at the moment.
On the plus side Im about half way done again.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 12:10:21 PM »
The Epic Battle has now restarted, which makes this thread no longer useful. Locked.