Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)  (Read 55520 times)

Offline Faidth

• Captain
The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)
« on: May 29, 2011, 01:23:53 PM »
Last thread closed due to length. Here's a new thread!

Offline Faidth

• Captain
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2011, 03:46:52 PM »
   Archer's lips are little more than a tight line of irritation. "If it's such a long story you had better
start telling it because my patience is wearing thin. I want answers Aras! Why did you disappear from the front
lines? What have you been doing out here?"

Dennan grunts in agreement.

Aras sighs heavily. He casts a questioning glance to the Lady who gives a silent nod in reply.

"Fine." Aras begins to pace back and forth in front of the Lady's throne. "I was stationed on the
frontlines with my company, the Shar'ada. It was nearing my time to depart with the Archon and his company, but I felt we were gaining ground and did not want to leave. The Archon orchestrated another movement forward, saying that at its completion, it would be time for the General to replace him."

"I found myself engaged with a small group of the Adversary's creatures, but a Lykaon fell upon us and killed five of my men. I could not allow my mortal charges to be obliterated, so I ordered Antiman to take the rest of the Shar'ada and fall back.I did battle with the Lykaon, but before I could dispatch it, I was set upon by Marrok The Tearer, a Forsaken under the command of Lieutenant Cauter."

"We fought for some time, but eventually, the Tearer got the better of me and I found myself upon my back
with the end of his spear embedded through my shoulder. He had me pinned to the ground and was about to use the dagger sheathed at his side to strike at my Death Wound, but as luck would have it, the Archon himself appeared beside me and let out a roar so mighty that Marrok was thrown back several yards. With a nod to me, the Archon waded into the front lines and I gathered my wits about me again. I watched as he and his company charged forward, obliterating everything in their path."

"Unfortunately, my near brush with death had deeply unsettled me." Aras paused beside Archer and placed
his hand upon her elbow. "My thoughts drifted to Avalon... to... to you."

Archer averts her gaze and pulls her elbow from his grasp. "Continue your story."

The expression upon Aras's face is one of pain as he backs away from Archer and continues to walk back and forth in front of the Lady's throne. "I was vulnerable. My emotions had gotten the better of me and my Willpower had suffered substantially. I was unaware that a Carnis, Lai, was nearby, and the creature used the opportunity to act against me. My efforts to resist him were too little, too late. He dragged me back to the Forsaken encampment."

"From there, I was removed from the battlefield and returned to the land of the mortals. I was taken to a
Forsaken outpost near Il'adoul where I endured..." Aras shakes his head as if the memories are too painful to
discuss. "I endured a great deal of agony at the hands of our enemies. All the while, Lai remained within me,
ensuring I did not escape."

"After some time, the creature's taunts turned into questions of curiosity. Lai wanted to know why I
continued to cling to hope when my body was broken and my flesh torn. He wanted to know why I simply did not give the Forsaken what they wanted and either convert to their cause, or at the very least endure a quick death. I told him of the grandeur of Avalon and the beauty..." Again he stops in front of Archer. "The beauty within our city."

"Soon, Lai felt something for me that resembled friendship. I was the only creature who had ever regarded
him with the remotest amount of kindness, and he expressed his desire to help me. I was in no position to turn him down. Lai managed to acquire a key, which he gifted to me, then proceeded to deceive my guards with an illusion, so that they believed I was still present in my cell. I was able to escape, and as soon as I was free, Lai blew my cell to bits before rejoining me again."

"I knew I had to seek a way home, but I knew of no way to contact the Bulwark without an orb. I knew
someone would be able to track me down eventually, so Lai and I hid ourselves away in the woods. One night, as we slept on the banks of a small pond, the Lady appeared to me and..."

"And that is a tale for another time," interrupts the Lady quickly. "There? Are you satisfied?"

"Not in the least! Why will you not return with us?" demands Archer.

"That's a bit of a complicated answer," mutters Aras.

"Then un-complicate it for me!" shouts Archer.

"I'm no longer an Ageless, Archer. Avalon is no longer my home. I cannot return," replies Aras quietly.

"This is madness, Aras! How? How can you no longer be an Ageless? I don't understand!" Archer's
exasperation is growing.

The Lady of Shadows rises from her throne. "That is not for you to know, Gladia Archer. Suffice it to say

that Aras no longer receives the Blessings of the Divine."

"Then where does his power come? From you? You think yourself equal to the Divine?" questions Constancy.

His questions are merely answered with a silent smirk. Before you can press her any further, she vanishes
into the shadows. It seems that the Lady of Shadows has earned her name.

Dennan sniffs the air. "Where did she go? She is no longer present here."

"Yeah... She... she does that," responds Aras. "Look, I'm going to level with you: the Otaktay may only be
mortals, but they've gotten pretty adept at finding ways to incapacitate Ageless and Forsaken alike. I really
can't go into it, but I need your help."

Billowing black shapes begin to form in the corner of the room and the Lady of Shadows reappears with an
orb in her hands.

"What do you want from us, Aras?" asks Archer reluctantly.

The Lady does not give him the opportunity to answer and she responds in his stead. "It is not enough to
simply drive off the Otaktay. They must be destroyed." 

"The Ageless do not kill humans!" snarls Dennan.

"Yeah!" agrees Constancy. "Do you have us confused with Forsaken!"

"There is no other way," responds the Lady firmly. "As long as the Otaktay live, they will remain a threat
to your people."

"There is always another way," speaks Dennan resolutely.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"...How does one fight a spirit?"

Lai's voice can be heard from somewhere beside Fiorin. "That... is a very complicated question to answer.
Excuse me for a moment while I settle in."

Moments later, you see a glimmer in the air, much like you would see the imprints of heat rising from a
flame. Slowly the form begins to take shape, and you find yourself face to face with a tall, immensely muscular
gentleman with long, silky locks of blonde hair. His eyes are a piercing shade of blue and he is clad in the
vestments of a warrior. Fiorin has seen Lai take this shape before. It was the form of a young man that Fiorin had
once fought side by side with, a man who Fiorin may have even regarded as a friend. Fiorin watched him die years ago, but Lai had an uncanny way of knowing that Fiorin may be comforted by a familiar face. Not only did it give him a focal point to address when speaking of Lai, but it reminded Fiorin of his time in the lands of the Ebonmane Clan.

The illusion that Lai is currently portraying seats himself upon a large cushion beside you. He crosses
his legs and rests his elbows on his knees as he looks to you. "You fear possession." His words are more of a
statement than a question. He already knows the answer to this.

"You have not yet mastered such a skill, but there are some among your brethren, the Ageless, who have the power to resist possession. The Elders of your people, like the Archon and the esteemed General Fury would be some who could stave off a spirit."

"The big man that was with Depheir, he is called Dennan in Depheir's mind, possesses such a skill as well.
I know. I tried to possess him, not knowing what he was, and I was repelled with incredible force. This is most
curious as he is obviously not an Elder Immortalis." Lai seems to ponder this for a moment but shrugs when he
cannot account for why such a young Immortalis would be able to do what many of his Elders could not. To avoid
being possessed by a spirit, one must have exceptional WILLPOWER, and even then, it must be a skill that is honed over time through battle."

"Spirits cannot be destroyed, however, it is possible that we may be captured and confined against our
will. It is exceedingly difficult to do so, but I have seen it done once or twice." 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blood allows Sig to dress, then bids for him to follow her to the Bulwark Headquarters. She explains that
they will be joining Archer and her party, but to do so, they must see the help of Cleo Seer. When you come upon
Cleo, you find her in a rather agitated state. She and Dethys are in front of the closed doors to the General's
office.

"The General won't tell me anything!" exclaims Cleo.

Dethys, clad in dark brown robes, stands beside her. "Then there must be a reason."

"Dethys, I CANNOT SEE HIM! I am blind to where Fenwick is right now! One moment he was there, and now I can't perceive him at all. Constancy's power to shroud the group is not that advanced. What if they've been
captured?"

Dethys sighs. "Nothing new has been recorded in the book."

General Fury can be seen making her way down the central corridor and towards you. "They have not been
captured, though they are certainly hidden. I went to the Cathedral to seek answers from the Divine. However, I was assured through his spirit that they are safe, at least for now."

Dethys raises an eyebrow. "And?"

"The Father is silent. You know he does not seek to directly interfere in our affairs," reminds Fury.
"Cleo, send Blood and Sig to their last known whereabouts."

"What if we're sending them into a trap?" asks Dethys.

"I've foiled traps before. We can handle it," assures Blood.

Fury nods. "Cleo, make haste. Send them through the gate."

You follow Blood and Cleo to the main gates of Avalon and the latter brings into being a strange, swirling
mass of light and energy. This "gate" is not a mode of travel you are very familiar with, and when you enter, you
find yourself pulled, twisted, and turned every which way. Despite your impressive constitution, it is enough to
make your stomach lurch considerably.

When you emerge on the other side, you find yourself on a dirt road. The road is flanked by stretches of forest on either side. The woods are dense, and you wonder how you will be able to find them in such a place, but you are reminded that Ageless can sense each other, and within moments, Blood informs you that they are not too far off. You make your way down the dirt road, but Blood freezes in her tracks. Ahead, you can see several human forms, clad in suits of leather and scale armor. You watch as their gazes fall upon you and they begin to speak amongst themselves. One of them raises his hand and points towards Blood, specifically the mark upon her forehead. The only word you can hear is "Death Wound."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 05:45:10 PM by Faidth »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
The visage that Lai took on was indeed a familiar one.  It was the shape of Biornfir, Fiorin's rival, and his only capable sparring partner.  The two had shared many brawls in childhood, and were nearly inseparable in the battle front, and though neither would admit it, they were close friends.  It was raining when Biornfir died in the heat of combat, but there were some who said that through it all... Fiorin shed a tear at the loss of greatest rival.  It was then that he learned the pains of death, and though he continued to slay countless men, never again would he show pride in his work.

In spite of the painful memories it conjured, Lai's illusion brought Fiorin some small semblance of comfort.  However, it was such tricks of the mind that gave rise to these concerns about spirits.

"You fear possession." Lai stated.  The carnis could not have been more correct.  Lai could control men with these illusions well enough already, and do so even more forcibly by possessing them.  All of Fiorin's combat experience, his strength training, his ability to take the mightiest of blows... it would all become useless, and what's more, that power could be turned in any direction the spirit pleases.

Lai continued.  He spoke of Elder Immortalis being able to counter the effects through sheer will, but this was of no comfort.  How many years would Fiorin have to wait before he could even hope to resist such spells?  But then, the carnis mentioned another name...

"...he is called Dennan..."

Though he did not express it vocally, Lai could easily perceive Fiorin's gratitude.  Fiorin stood resolutely, separating himself from the image of Biornfir.  It had been some time since Depheir had arrived with Lai, and his comrades should not have been far behind.  He would meet the other Ageless, and seek out the one the spirit called 'Dennan.'

Fiorin glanced over to Depheir, "Warrior of Avalon, let us meet your allies." while his voice sounded angry by nature, he was indeed attempting to be friendly.  Besides, Depheir would know the trail that they would follow.  Little did he know that the other Ageless were much closer than he thought.

Perhaps the vision of Fiorin's fearsome rival was exactly what he needed to spur him into action.  The memories of his friend's death became vivid...

"Biornfir... never again."
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:51:28 PM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 08:03:41 PM »
So, that one was called Fiorin.

He obviously didn't like to talk too much.

Depheir measured him for the last time. He was huge, strong, and obviously experienced in battle. The mage noticed the fact Fiorin represented different type of battle than him. Depheir prefered avoiding hostile attacks, while Fiorin looked like he would take almost every blow.

Depheir stopped glaring on him and continued to enjoy the scenery, meanwhile being somewhat aware of everything around him. He noticed Fiorin's question of methods of fighting the spirit.

- That... is a very complicated question to answer - Lai replied to Fiorin. - Excuse me for a moment while I settle in.

Moment later, the air began to glimmer as if there was a heat from a flame. Slowly, the form took shape of a tall, muscular gentleman with long, silky locks of blonde hair. Depheir began to think the man was familiar to Fiorin, why else could Lai take such a form?

- You fear possession - he stated.

Depheir locked his attention on an illusion, because he was curious of the methods of possession preventing, too.

Lai continued. He told about WILLPOWER, strong enough to shrug off the Carnis. He told about the Elder Immortalis, and about Dennan, who possessed such skill as well.

In the end, he summarized:

- To avoid being possessed by a spirit, one must have exceptional WILLPOWER, and even then, it must be a skill that is honed over time through battle.

As Lai stopped talking, Fiorin glanced over to Depheir.

- Warrior of Avalon, let us meet your allies - he told.

Depheir stood up and turned himself to face the exit.

- Right - he nodded. - Let's move on.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 06:10:27 PM »
This was just terrible.  Each glance, each touch, each lingering smile...  Each moment Aras was close to Gladia was frustrating him further.  If his hood wasn't pulled down so far it would be clear that Sembas was scowling at the taller man.

He was grinding his teeth when he realized.  His mind was a torrent of anger.  Visions of flame and lightening igniting the man clouded his mind it hit him like a bucket of water being poured over his head.  The thought doused the flames of his anger and his eyes widened in recognition.

This was weakness.  This was performing a disservice to Gladia - a disservice to all of his present company.

This was not focusing on the weighty events unfolding around him. 

This unattention could cost him and his companions a great deal of pain, if not their lives.  He never had anyone he cared about so much in the field with him.  He usually worked alone with Faile, and she was more a part of him than another being.  Gladia was quickly becoming a distraction from his duties.  He needed to determine how to keep his wits about him in situations like this, and fast...

His cheeks color as shame and embarrassment creeps in.

Aras's story finally hits his ears and Sembas listens to his words rather than his actions.  "...One night, as we slept on the banks of a small pond, the Lady appeared to me and..."

"And that is a tale for another time," the Lady interrupts.  "There? Are you satisfied?"

Sembas nearly smacks himself in the head for his stupidity.  He caught bits and pieces, but the majority of the explanation was lost.  Hopefully Faile was paying attention more than he was.

The following conversation was shocking.  Kill these Otaktay?  He had sworn to protect humans, not slaughter them.  The Lady may have reign over Aras, but she did not determine what the Ageless do.

"Then they are a threat we will have to manage.  If we turn the offensive they will have even more of a reason to hunt us down.  But I do agree that we cannot just allow them to attack us without recourse.  Have the Ageless negotiated with the Otaktay before?"  He asks towards Archer and Dennan.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
GOD-MOD #1 FOR SIG

Sig listens as Cleo and Dethys argue. Obviously they are having difficulty locating the party that Blood had previously been tasked to aid. Sig rolls his eyes. Had a Chosen of Alviss gone missing, the sons and daughters of Alviss would certainly not spend time debating about it. They would immediately set out to reclaim their kin. That was one of his biggest criticisms of the Ageless: too much thinking and talking and not enough action.

The General returns with the news that their god, this Divine, left their questions unanswered, and finally Blood and Sig are tasked with locating the missing party and ensuring their safe return. Sig has never used a portal before, and when the swirling mass of light and energy appears before him, he regards it with a wary eye. Blood disappears within, but Sig, not so quick to toss himself within, tentatively sticks his foot into the portal. A strange sensation envelops his boot and he withdraws it quickly, casting a glance back towards the Seer.

“Go on. It’s safe,” assures Cleo.

Sig shrugs, takes a running start, and dives through the portal. When Sig emerges on the other side, he finds himself on a dirt road in the middle of a forest. Blood indicates that her brethren are somewhere nearby, and Sig follows her down the path. After some time, they encounter human forms on the road. Sig hears the word “Death Wound” and knowing that humans have a funny way of reacting to Immortalis, instinctively reaches for his lute, ready to cast or attack as he should need to.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 12:02:57 PM »
   At Fiorin’s suggestion, he and Depheir set out to find Depheir’s companions. They do not need to venture far as they hear the sounds of a rather heated argument emanating from the main hall. The Lady of Shadows stands to the side, an orb in her hands. She appears disinterested in regards to the discussion occurring before her.

Aras glances at Sembas as if noticing him for the first time. “There IS no negotiating with the Otaktay.”

“He wasn’t asking that. He asked if anyone has TRIED,” interjects Archer sharply. “In which case, the answer is, ‘yes.’ Unfortunately, that was about a hundred years ago, and the leader of the Otaktay, Ulises Cael, was unwilling to meet with us.”

“Then we should have forced them to listen!” responds Aras with feeling.

Archer, her face red with anger, steps towards him. “And to what end? If you force anything, words or action, then you are essentially proving their point.”    

“The past matters not,” speaks the Lady of Shadows. “The time for action has come. If you do not act soon, many Immortalis, Ageless and Forsaken alike, will fall to the Otaktay. There is no other way.”

“WE... DO NOT… KILL HUMANS!” growls Dennan. “It is not our way!”

“You refuse to accept that in order to preserve mankind you must preserve yourselves! I have never seen such blatant ignorance!” exclaims Aras. “Do you not understand the Lady’s words? The Otaktay have ways to remove us permanently without killing us. Do you wish to be taken captive by them? The time to reason with them is over. We must destroy them!”

“You are asking us to go against everything we stand for!” cries Constancy in disbelief.

“Gladia! You are a reasonable woman. You know I would not make this suggestion if there was another way!” pleads Aras. “Please! You know this is what must be done!”

“Aras, I don’t even know what you are anymore! How can I trust you?” questions Archer.

“Gladia… please. See reason,” Aras begs. “There truly is no other way.”

Archer is quiet for several moments. “Even if it was the only way, we certainly don’t have the right to make that decision.”

As if in response, the orb in the Lady’s hand flashes a brilliant orange light. “You will want to consult the Blood-Warden General, the Raven’s Bride.”

“You should not even bother her with such a request!” shouts Dennan angrily. “My mother will not condone this madness!”

“The Ageless take humans as allies do they not?” inquires the Lady of Shadows. It was obvious she already knew the answer to this question.

“So? What does that have to do with slaughtering the Otaktay?” returns Constancy.

“Many of them do not return.” The Lady of Shadows turns the orb in her hands. “They fight alongside you, and you allow it, knowing that many of them will die. You lead them to slaughter. What are a few more bodies to the pile?”

“They do so because they choose to do so!” snarls Dennan. “We force them to do nothing. They choose to die for the sake of their people, but we do not aid them in doing so.”

The lady sneers at Dennan. “Yes… you do… You place in their minds the illusion that they may actually succeed in driving back the Forsaken.”

“And we will,” states Constancy firmly.

“Foolish child. There must always be a balance… Where there is dark, there must be light. Too much light will cause the flower to wilt and die, but too much darkness will ensure that the flower never blossoms. Both are responsible for the premature death of the flower. However, in equal measure, the balance is maintained, and the flower thrives.” The Lady looks to Sembas.

“What the bloody piss does that mean?!” cries Constancy.

Dennan’s low, rumbling voice answers Constancy’s confusion. “She believes herself to be the balance.”

Archer face echoes the sudden realization. “Yes… That is why the Lady never sides with the Ageless or the Forsaken. You fear the power of both.”

“Hmph! I fear nothing, child,” the Lady responds dismissively. “But you are right… there must be a balance, and I ensure that the balance does not weigh too heavily for one or the other. The Otaktay are not only tipping the scales, they seek to overturn it… and they will if you do not heed my words.”

Fenwick has been patiently listening to the discussion taking place before them. He recollects what Cleo had told him before, about certain parts of the future being static, while other events had the potential to be changed. “How do you know it is certain?”

The Lady gives a derisive snort. “I have foreseen it!”

“Can’t it be changed?” asks Fenwick. “Cleo said-”

“The Seer? The Seer was not even powerful enough to see that Severan would betray your people. It had always been destined the Adversary would seek a champion. The Archon was foolish. He thought that if he led Severan to another path and allowed him to choose, that he would choose wisely. That is the folly of faith. Even now, you doubt my words and cling to the foolish beliefs that you Ageless hold dear. You claim to protect humanity, but your very existence perpetuates the existence of the Forsaken! If there is no ‘good’ there can be no ‘evil.’” The Lady sighs in exasperation. “This is like talking to a stone. Is there not one among you who can see reason?”  She glances towards the orb in her hands. “Very well. If you wish to see the might of the Otaktay, I will show you.”

The orb sparks and a huge projection of a scene appears in the air. There is a dirt road, that the party recognizes having traveled to get here, and upon that road they see Adia Blood and Sigurd Glorrack. Just down the path, there is a group of humans. One points an outstretched finger towards Blood and Sig.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the forest road, near the home of the Lady of Shadows, Blood and Sig both place their hands on their weapons, should they need to use them. Though many humans are friendly towards the Immortalis, the fact that these humans were so quick to recognize Blood’s Death Wound make the Captain uneasy. One of the humans, a tall, black-haired gentleman with pale skin and piercing blue eyes, emerges from the rear of the group. He steps forward, never taking his eyes off of Sig and Blood. He wears a suit of black platemail, and carries in his hand a well-made spear. 

As he speaks, his voice is smooth and calm. “Adia Blood, Captain of the Blood-Wardens of Avalon and second-in-command to General Deya Fury, the Blood-Warden General. You are approximately 400 years of age and died at the age of 24. Your mortal name was Adia Ardith and you died at the hands of Severan Deceit in a raid upon the human city where you were a guard. Your Death Wound is upon your forehead and is your single point of vulnerability.”

Blood frowns. “I know my own history. I don’t need you to tell it to me. The question is, how do you know so much about me?”

“I have made it my personal duty to learn about you and your brethren as much as I can. I know who you are, I know who you were, and I know how you may die. I have spent years researching the Immortalis, and have committed much of my research to memory,” responds the man.

“And who exactly are you?” questions Blood.

“I am Bayard Cael,” the man replies with a bow. “I am the leader of the Defenders of Humanity...but we are known to you as the Otaktay.”

Blood’s eyes widen in recognition.

“And I shall enjoy this very much.” Bayard hurls his spear forward and the weapon hurtles towards Blood.
   However, she is far too quick to be taken down so easily and she deftly dodges to the side. Bayard gives a shout as he draws his longsword and urges his men to move forward. It dawns on Blood and Sig that they are outnumbered 6:1, but the Captain of the Blood-Wardens has defeated far more impossible odds before.

Back in the abode of the Lady of Shadows, the others watch through the orb as Blood and Sig are surrounded by the group of Otaktay.

“We have to go help them!” cries Constancy.

“No. This is not your battle,” responds the Lady of Shadows. “You must witness the might of the Otaktay with your own eyes.” With a flick of her fingers, the door to the chamber slams shut and is enveloped by a mass of twisted roots and thorns. “Now, there will be no further discussion of going anywhere.”
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 12:04:49 PM by Faidth »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 08:13:36 PM »
Fiorin was surprised to see the Immortalis already within the Lady of Shadows' abode -- a sign of highly skilled trackers-- but as he heard Aras's angered replies, he felt it was not under the diplomatic conditions he had originally expected.  His search for the man named "Dennan" would have to wait.

There was one thing he simply could not wrap his head around in this fierce exchange of words:

"WE... DO NOT... KILL HUMANS!" snarled a man comparable to Fiorin in size.

This was a confusing principle to Fiorin indeed.  Killing was no different from eating or sleeping to him; it was necessary for survival.   He had been soaking his blade in the blood of other warriors since before he had grown a single hair on his chest.  While he would never slaughter non-combatants, should he or any of his comrades be set upon by assailants, they would die.  It was that simple.  It was considered honorable -- nay, respectful -- to make it quick.

“They do so because they choose to do so!” snarls Dennan. “We force them to do nothing. They choose to die for the sake of their people, but we do not aid them in doing so.”

Fiorin stepped forward toward the Immortalis.  "Do these 'Otaktay' not choose to fight of their own will as well?  Are they not warriors; men who have chosen to die for their ideals?" This was the law of the Ebonmane Clan.  When one drew a sword, he forfeits life, and will struggle to defend it from the moment he first does so.  Other clans of the north had typically shared this belief, so to hear such an extreme opposite cultural point of view was... interesting.

However, events quickly began to turn from a tense atmosphere to a much more fearful situation.  The vision the Lady of Shadows portrayed was worrisome.  While the thought of battle never concerned Fiorin, there was one thing that bothered him:  their leader was facing the Ageless head-on... the humans were certain of themselves.  Such confidence was always the first sign of true danger.  Something was wrong. 

He turned to the Lady of Shadows questioningly, "M'lady?" He knew of her powers of foresight... but, what was she planning?  She was no enemy of the Ageless.  After all, she'd gathered Fiorin to aid them.  Why did she now split their forces?  Was this all simply to illustrate a point?  It was true he had no personal attachment to the Ageless at this point, but for them to be snuffed out before he could learn of this "Avalon" he'd heard so much about... it was becoming difficult for him to sit still.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 10:40:28 AM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 05:55:08 AM »
The events in the past hour or so had been tense, but nothing compared to what was happening before their eyes. The human that had spoken somehow knew about their biological data and history right down to when they had died.

That was impossible, or near impossible, Fenwick thought. Immediately, logical explanations flowed through his head. A chronicler? Possible, but Avalon most likely would've sought them out and silenced them somehow. A traitor? Not unheard of, and with enough charisma it would've been possible to rally many people to their side. An accident? Maybe it was one of those stories he had listened to when he was young, where the child would see his parents die in front of their eyes and they vowed revenge... or something.

Their knowledge already marked them as dangerous, but the way Beyard threw his spear confirmed that fact. They would've easily killed him in a one on one fight.

As much as he wanted to help them, they were currently in the hands of this Lady of Shadows. As such, Fenwick attempts to calm his mind enough to study his potential opponents...
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
As Depheir led Fiorin to his companions, he became an observer of a rather interesting discussion between Aras and the Ageless. The argument was mainly about the newly discovered threat, the Otaktay, who attack every Immortalis, both Ageless and Forsaken alike. Depheir was surprised with even reckoning with that bunch of puny mortals, who seemingly think they can oppose the Immortalis, so he was shocked with the next statements:

- The time for action has come - suddenly spoke the Lady of Shadows. - If you do not act soon, many Immortalis, Ageless and Forsaken alike, will fall to the Otaktay. There is no other way.

- WE... DO NOT… KILL HUMANS! - growled Dennan. - It is not our way!

- You refuse to accept that in order to preserve mankind you must preserve yourselves! I have never seen such blatant ignorance! - shouted Aras. - Do you not understand the Lady’s words? The Otaktay have ways to remove us permanently without killing us. Do you wish to be taken captive by them? The time to reason with them is over. We must destroy them!

- You are asking us to go against everything we stand for! - cried Constancy.

Their saying was a bit odd, and Depheir was distasted with the Ageless' opinions.

" If something is really a threat, I simply try to get rid of it..."

Then he heard a weird statement of the Lady:

- There must always be a balance… Where there is dark, there must be light. Too much light will cause the flower to wilt and die, but too much darkness will ensure that the flower never blossoms. Both are responsible for the premature death of the flower. However, in equal measure, the balance is maintained, and the flower thrives.

- What the bloody piss does that mean?! - asked Constancy.

Dapheir had an urge of asking exactly the same, but, in the opposite of Constancy, Lady's statement about the balance thing was unclear in many ways for him even after Dennan's explanation. He tried to explain it in his own way.

"Doesn't that mean if we don't want that bloody "flower" she's talking about, namely the humanity, to die, then we, all Immortalis, should ally with the Lady and fight against the Otaktay? Won't that make humans feel thratened by us, and they will fight even more fiercely against us? For what, for that balance thing?  And what with our leaders?..."

His current point of view flipped upside down. He has grown horribly suspicious about the Lady.

"How did she persuade Aras to take her side, if the Ageless defend their goals so fiercely?... I don't want to know."

- You claim to protect humanity, but your very existence perpetuates the existence of the Forsaken! - said the Lady. - If there is no ‘good’ there can be no ‘evil’ - she sighed in exasperation. - This is like talking to a stone. Is there not one among you who can see reason? Very well. If you wish to see the might of the Otaktay, I will show you.

"And what if they are only her tool, to persuade us to ally with her? To... abandon our superiors? And THEN what?"

But, still, he said nothing. Instead, he glanced on the projection, which appeared in the air. There was a familiar road, and Sig, Blood, and a group of humans on it. One of them pointed towards the Ageless, and other one came closer to them, and began to speak:

- Adia Blood, Captain of the Blood-Wardens of Avalon and second-in-command to General Deya Fury, the Blood-Warden General. You are approximately 400 years of age and died at the age of 24. Your mortal name was Adia Ardith and you died at the hands of Severan Deceit in a raid upon the human city where you were a guard. Your Death Wound is upon your forehead and is your single point of vulnerability.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa! Somebody has got good informations! Where can we buy some books about the Forsaken's Deathwounds, pleeeeeaaaaaase?"'

- I have made it my personal duty to learn about you and your brethren as much as I can - continued the man. - I know who you are, I know who you were, and I know how you may die. I have spent years researching the Immortalis, and have committed much of my research to memory.

"Perharps somebody TOLD them about our Deathwounds? Somebody with the power of farsight, who can predict the birth of the Immortalis, and few other things? Perharps... the Lady of Shadows?"

- I am the leader of the Defenders of Humanity...but we are known to you as the Otaktay. And I shall enjoy this very much - the human hurled his spear towards Blood, who deftly dodges the attack.

If Depheir wouldn't be locked inside the Lady's territory, he would go outside and teach those Otaktay few lessons about "Not Messing with the Immortalis". Especially when there is Sig. He is really good. Depheir had a pleasure of fighting against him before.

But, still, analyzing the fact of more than proper preparing for the battle of the Otaktay, Depheir implied that the Lady informed them before about missing and dispatched Ageless.

And would be very surprised if the Otaktay didn't capture them successfully. What else would convince unwilling Ageless to act, if not the urge of rescuing their friends?

"The scale won't sway if there is nothing in the middle...", he thought, setting his gaze on the Lady for a brief moment.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 10:49:38 AM by Depheir Kogthar »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2011, 06:50:59 PM »
The situation is quickly spiralling out of control.  It is difficult to determine the power of the Lady of Shadows.  Should they have to fight their way out of here it would prove to be... interesting. 

The Lady's motivations become clear.  She believes that she is they grey between the white and black of the Immortalis and the Forsaken.  But the grey is a result of the two colors mixing, not a seperate will.  Will she keep the balance forever?  If the Immortalis gain the upper hand will she interfere?  Same for the Forsaken?  Her drive for balance could become an obstacle the Immortalis will have to face in the future.

The events on the road are shown through the orb.  The door is shut and blocked.  The blood in Sembas's body boils.

"How can you force us to watch this?  Balance indeed!  You would tip your so-called balance to prove a point.  How can we be sure you won't continue to tip the balance to aid in your goals in the future?"  Sembas is clearly tiring of this situation, and his demeanor reflects as much.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 11:23:07 PM »
As Blood deftly dodges the spear thrown by the one called Bayard, Sig drops his axe to his side and takes his lute in both hands. He and his scary yet attractive escort are completely surrounded. Throwing himself at Bayard would be a foolhardy endeavor. They would just be swarmed by the others. No, better to let Blood focus on the leader. Her facial expression made it clear that she either knew this man personally or at least knew of him, and that gave her a tactical advantage over Sig. The Chosen of Alviss's task was clearly laid out in front of him. Keep Blood from being swarmed by enemies while she lands the first strike against Bayard. And the blessings of Alviss have provided Sig with just the song for the occasion.

Sig begins to rapidly strum his lute. A low bass line emits from the instrument. It starts out so quiet that it can barely be detected, but it grows louder and deeper as Sig's fingers increase their speed. Soon his fingers are a blur over the strings. The ground begins to tremble and shake from the force of the deep resounding chord. Sig's lute begins to glow brighter and brighter as the chord reaches it's apex.

And in an instant, Sig suddenly slams his hand down on the strings. (Wisdom: Spiritual Magic - CRESCENDO) The resulting sound is so loud that it can be heard across the forest. The powerful burst of chaotic noise is powerful enough to crack the ground around Sig's feet. The energy built up in the lute is suddenly released in a whirlwind of destruction that radiates out from the Chosen of Alviss in a perfect circle. It passes over Blood without so much as stirring a hair on her head, but anyone else caught in this blast of raw power will be thrown backwards with an impossible amount of force, and those close enough to Sig will find themselves being ripped apart by the sheer power of the blast.

Only Blood can hear Sig's laughter over the chaos.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2011, 11:36:57 PM »
   When Fiorin speaks, he draws the attention of all the Immortalis around him. Dennan sniffs the air and glances towards Archer.
   “A whelp,” says the mountainous man.
   Archer moves towards Fiorin with a cautious glance to Dennan. “A Childer Immortalis? Are you sure Dennan?”
   Dennan grunts in reply.
   Archer shakes her head in confusion “Then why is he-”
   However, the conversation is cut short as the Lady of Shadows forces the Immortalis to watch as the Otaktay descend upon Blood and Sig.
   Sembas vocally disapproves of the Lady’s action. "How can you force us to watch this?  Balance indeed!  You would tip your so-called balance to prove a point.  How can we be sure you won't continue to tip the balance to aid in your goals in the future?"
   “It seems you will not be swayed without some motivation,” responds the Lady coolly. “You must see for yourself.”
   “You would hold us captive!” demands Archer.  “You’d make us stand idly by while our friends are assaulted?”
   “Yes,” replies the Lady simply.

Within the orb, the Otaktay had plenty of experience dealing with Immortalis, but none had ever come upon one of the Chosen of Alviss, as few people ever have. They are completely blindsided by the powerful attack that Sig unleashes upon them. The ground before Sig cracks and the huge wave of energy that explodes outward from Sig’s location catches them entirely off-guard. Several are violently expelled backwards, and the few unlucky souls that were closest to the Chosen when he began his attack are instantly torn to shreds. Bits of bone, flesh and a smattering of blood are all that are left of these unfortunate mortals. Bayard Cael freezes in his tracks and even Blood appears aghast at what she has just seen.

Even the Lady of Shadows, back in her lair, is rendered momentarily speechless. In all of her visions of what was to come, the presence of a Chosen of Alviss had not been revealed to her.

Cael, spurred to action by the utter obliteration of three of his men turns his ire towards Blood. He reaches for the longsword sheathed upon his back and hurtles forward, far faster than any human has the capacity to do. Blood closes with him, her own sword flashing in the sunlight, as she brings the flat of the blade down upon his skull, not to kill, but surely to incapacitate.
   However, the space where Cael was a mere instant ago is vacant, and when he reappears behind Blood, he strikes forward with his blade.
    Meanwhile, Sig finds himself surrounded by four more men, each determined to have their revenge for the deaths of their comrades. One of the men, slams the head of his warhammer down upon Sig who will have mere moments to defend himself before it comes crashing upon him.

“ENOUGH!” Dennan slams his fists upon the ground before him and the marbled floor of the main hall is besmirched by long, ragged cracks. Without another word, he makes his way towards the door. He begins to tear at the thick wall of roots and vines. The jagged thorns tear at the flesh upon his hands sending smatters of blood spilling across the ground. Dennan, undeterred continues to tear and pull at the obstacle before him.
   The Lady rolls her eyes, annoyed by his lack of obedience and with a flick of her hand, the vines wrap around Dennan’s wrists, binding him inexorably.
   “Let him go, you witch!” shouts Archer rounding on the Lady of Shadows.
   Aras grabs her by the shoulders. “Leave her, Gladia. She means you no ill will. But nothing can be gained if you do not see for yourself the power of the Otaktay.”
   Another roar explodes from Dennan’s throat as his massive muscles flex to their full extent and shred the vines wrapped upon his arms. He lowers his shoulder and thunders forward, his shoulder connecting with the great door buried beneath the vines. There is an earsplitting crack as the door gives way to Dennan’s charging form and splinters beneath the force of the blow. What is left of the door skitters across the ground. His chest heaves as he glares menacingly upon the Lady of Shadows in defiance.
   A scowl marks the Lady’s lovely face as she regards Dennan in disgust. “Fine, Son of the Blood Raven… have it your way. But heed my words, if the Otaktay remain, so shall your people fail- both Ageless and Forsaken alike. Perhaps it will be a better world when you are all struck from the earth. I will leave you to your fates.”
   Wordlessly, Dennan turns towards the corridor that leads back to the surface. He glances towards Fensten who seems to understand his meaning and the two disappear down the hallway.  Constancy follows close behind.
   Archer turns to leave. “Aras… ” She makes no attempt to finish her request, because she seems to already know the answer.
   “My place is here, Archer,” he replies firmly. “I hope you will consider what the Lady has said.”
   Archer regards the remaining members of her party. “Let’s go. We’ve wasted enough time. We got what we came for,” a look of disappointment crosses her face as she looks upon Aras. Without another word, she too disappears through the door with Constancy following close behind. Dennan leads all of you back to the road, save for Fiorin who remains in the Lady’s company.
   The Lady turns her gaze to Fiorin. “Your time with me is done, Fiorin. Where you decide to go from here is entirely up to you. As you can see, the Ageless are stubborn to a fault and refuse to listen to reason. They are strong, but I fear it is their compassion that will be their downfall. Still… I know in my heart that your place is with them. I shall keep my eye on you, Fiorin of the Ebonmane… two when I can spare them.”
   With that, the Lady of Shadows clasps Aras’s hand in her own. You have always known Aras to appear strong and resolute, but it is easy to see that his interaction with his former love has left him quite unhinged.
   “Be still, Aras,” speaks the Lady soothingly.
   Aras shakes his head. “This better be worth it, my Lady. You have no idea what I have sacrificed to aid you.”
   “I do, Aras. And that is what makes you so valuable. Goodbye, Fiorin.” Dark, black shadows begin to shift and swirl around the Lady’s feet. They rise upward, becoming faster as they ascend and envelope the Lady and Aras completely.
   Fiorin is left alone in the Great Hall.
   “Damn it!”
   Or so he thinks.
   Fiorin can feel the presence of Lai nearby, and the spirit seems quite disgruntled by the fact he’s been left behind.
   “I get why she left you, but why me?” whines Lai. “I’ve no place running about with Ageless. As you can see, they usually don’t take kindly to my kind.”

Constancy's spells allow the party of Ageless to accelerate their movements and they quickly find themselves upon the dirt road. Up ahead, they can see Blood and Sig engaged in battle with the Otaktay. Blood has closed with the leader of the Otaktay, and Sig has managed to dispatch a few of them himself, but there are still a dozen advancing upon them, not counting the four gathered around Sig.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 11:43:52 PM by Faidth »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:35:42 PM »
A man who was so civil one moment, pleading for the lives of others, then proceeded to tear apart his own flesh as he shattered the chamber door, roaring violently as he willed through the pain the thorns inflicted.  One moment a stoic, watchful man, and another... a beast.  He and Fiorin shared two very different views, yet it would seem in many ways, they were alike. 

Soon, he and the other Ageless took flight as the Lady permitted them.

“Your time with me is done, Fiorin. Where you decide to go from here is entirely up to you. As you can see, the Ageless are stubborn to a fault and refuse to listen to reason. They are strong, but I fear it is their compassion that will be their downfall. Still… I know in my heart that your place is with them. I shall keep my eye on you, Fiorin of the Ebonmane… two when I can spare them.”

Good-byes never did suit Fiorin well.  However, with the Lady, he found himself having to mask the fact he would miss the company of Aras, Lai, and herself in his more dire of times.  With no family, no friends, no comrades, and no enemies... he was purposeless.  It was because of her actions, that someday, he may experience fighting with a purpose once more as he did against the Thundercaller.  He would eternally grateful to her, no matter what her shrouded intentions were.

She began to fade into the shadows as they wrapped around her and Aras. Hesitantly, almost inaudibly, Fiorin uttered words few had the honor of hearing... "Thank you, m'Lady."

The Lady of Shadows was gone, and once again, Fiorin was alone...

"Damn it!"

Fiorin was just as surprised as Lai was.

“I get why she left you, but why me?  I’ve no place running about with Ageless. As you can see, they usually don’t take kindly to my kind.”

The barbarian stifled a smile, but a small crack on one side of his face gave him away.  It was strange to know just how relieved he was that Lai was still with him.  Surely, it would earn him the ire of the other Ageless, but the Lady's workings were often so enigmatic as this; who was he to question them?  There wasn't a doubt in Fiorin's mind that Lai would be a valuable asset. 

Fiorin turned to the exit.  "Come, Lai.  I shall grant you swift legs to travel upon."

Still failing to hide his smirk, the warrior leaped forward, his STRENGTH - ATHLETICS launching him swiftly to battle.  He had catching up to do.

"Lai," Fiorin spoke mentally with the spirit, "That man who shattered the door... that was him, wasn't it?"

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 05:58:13 PM »
In answer to his offer, Fiorin feels something latch onto his back. The sensation is something like claws digging into his flesh, coupled with a bothersome itch in the back of his mind, but within moments, the strange feeling dilutes as Lai becomes comfortable in Fiorin's skin. He is perfectly content to allow you to take the lead and becomes a passenger in your mortal vessel.

His voice echoes in your mind as you ask about the feral man who managed to open the way for the Ageless. "Yes... That is Dennan Justice, son of the Archon and the Blood-Warden General. He and his brothers are a bit of an anomaly amongst your people. As you saw, he is quite powerful, even more than many of his elders. He is scarcely older than you by Ageless standards. When I tried to take him, I felt myself violently expelled. It was impossible to exact my will upon him. He healed very quickly, too. I blew him up, you know."

Lai's voice sounds almost smug in regards to his last statement. From your frequent interactions with him in the house of the Lady of Shadows, you have come to realize that he has always been eager for approval, much like a housecat bringing a dead bird to his master. Though stubborn, he is extremely loyal to those whom he respects, and it seems he has formed a sort of respect towards you already.

"Here... Let me help." Your muscles grow hot and seem to expand as your legs propel you forward. Lai is granting you the gift of speed, so that you may keep pace with your Ageless brethren.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 05:22:35 PM »
“You’d make us stand idly by while our friends are assaulted?”  Archer demands.  “Yes,” replies the Lady simply.

What control Sembas is maintaining over himself in this situation is waning.  Being forced to watch his allies in battle against overwhelming numbers is the last straw...

Yet the sudden outburst from Sig within the orb startles him.  This Son of Alvis was full of surprises.  Watching his style of battle gave Sembas an idea for another spell for Faile, but that would have to wait until later.

Dennan does what Sembas should have, and charges over to the door and tears away at the vines.

With a glance to Archer, Sembas quickly follows after Dennan as Faile flies ahead.  But not before hearing the final exchange between Archer and Aras.  He didn't trust that man.  Not one bit.  And the thought of him only fuels his anger.

The urgency of the situation is already quickening their steps and Constancy's spells push them towards the battle even faster.  As they sprint and fly plumes of smoke begin to escape from Faile's beak (WISDOM SPELL: FireBreath).  Before they reach the road she pulls up and into the air.  The canopy giving her cover as she approaches the Otaktay from the sky.  Sembas unstraps his spear once he reaches the dirt road.

There were twelve Otaktay quickly closing around Sig and Blood.  With both of them tangled up already they were entirely too vulnerable.  Sembas yanks his hood back off of his head as he squints his golden eyes at the Otaktay.  He grits his teeth and takes a step forward.

A wave of emotions comes washing through the bond from Faile.  His anger subsides enough for him to stop and think about what was going on here.

The Lady of the Shadows had requested for the annihilation of the Otaktay, which was met by vehement opposition to such an idea.  He himself was quite vocal about the matter. 

And now they are doing exactly what the Lady desires.

You're right, Faile, we need to try and reason with them.  But how?  They seem intent on destroying us.  And they are incredibly dangerous, with knowledge about deathwounds combined with their skill.

"This is exactly what the Lady wants!  Can we try and neutralize them?  Outright destroying them will only fuel their conquest.  Save our friends first!  Then give these fools a second chance!"

There isn't enough time to wait for a reaction.  His companions know his stance on the matter.  With a yell he charges down the road, spear poised in hands and Faile waiting in the air above.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 03:08:08 PM »
-ENOUGH!

Dennan cracked the floor before him and began to tear the way towards the door from the roots and vines. The Lady of Shadows was obviously annoyed by his actions. She rolled her eyes and magically commanded the vines with a hand gesture to wrap around Dennan's wrists.

-Let him go, you witch! - shouted Archer angrily towards the Lady.

-Leave her, Gladia - Aras grabbed her by the shoulders. - She means you no ill will. But nothing can be gained if you do not see for yourself the power of the Otaktay.

"Power! What "power" can be representated by a bunch of mortals?? It's just good information, element of surprise and outnumbering, that's all!"

Dennan roared and flexed his muscles to full extent to rip the vines wrapped on his arms. He charged at the door, slamming them with his shoulder. The door splintered and fell on the ground.

-Fine, Son of the Blood Raven - the Lady regarded Dennan in disgust. - have it your way. But heed my words, if the Otaktay remain, so shall your people fail- both Ageless and Forsaken alike. Perhaps it will be a better world when you are all struck from the earth. I will leave you to your fates.

Dennan turned towards the corridor leading back to the surface, glanced towards Fensten, and lead the way to exit.

Constancy casted a hastening spell which allowed the party to arrive to the battlefield in no time.

There was a dozen of mortals, closing around Sig and Blood. The Son of Alviss made an impressive display of his combat skills and his lute's inner powers. The booming sound of the strings knocked few of Otaktay away, and those foolish enough to come close to him felt the force ripping them apart.

But there were others running straightly at them.

That situation gave Depheir an idea.

He crouched, buried his palms in the ground and drove the ground in wide area around Sig unstable by a sudden surge of his magical force (Wisdom: Spellcasting - Tremor).

Surely the Otaktay will find it hard to get balance when the spell will set in. The fellow Ageless, on the other hand, won't notice the earth moving beneath their feet.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28:41 PM »
    Cael, spurred to action by the utter obliteration of three of his men turns his ire towards Blood. He reaches for the longsword sheathed upon his back and hurtles forward, far faster than any human has the capacity to do. Blood closes with him, her own sword flashing in the sunlight, as she brings the flat of the blade down upon his skull, not to kill, but surely to incapacitate.
   However, the space where Cael was a mere instant ago is vacant, and when he reappears behind Blood, he strikes forward with his blade.
    Meanwhile, Sig finds himself surrounded by four more men, each determined to have their revenge for the deaths of their comrades. One of the men, slams the head of his warhammer down upon Sig who will have mere moments to defend himself before it comes crashing upon him.

Sig has been in many a barroom brawl, and the same logic used there applies in most situations where a large group of people is attempting to bash your brains in with things. The trick is to never allow yourself to be backed into a defensive stance. Most people, when outnumbered by a large group, react in one of three ways. They cower and attempt to evade, attempt to block the incoming attacks, or simply attempt to flee. These usually lead to the same result. The person being assaulted can usually evade, block, or escape the first few strikes, but eventually they take a blow and falter. Then they get the shit kicked out of them.

The trick is to do the one thing they're not expecting you to do, which is to immediately go on the offensive and hurt the leading attacker as badly as possible.

Sig sucks in a lungful of air and feels the power of Alviss well up within him. With only a split second to spare before the warhammer splits his skull, Sig lets loose a powerful shout. (Wisdom: Spiritual Magic - STRIKING BALLAD) A fist shaped mass of raw energy slams into the oncoming attacker. Without waiting to see if the blow lands, Sig immediately counter-attacks. The Chosen of Alviss leaps forward and yanks his axe back into his hand, lashing out with a powerful strike meant to lacerate the throat of his would-be assailant. The blow might even decapitate the man if Sig is fortunate enough. The more damage done, the better Sig's chances are of throwing the others off their stride.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 03:44:52 PM »
The sounds of battle resonate as Sig and Blood battle the Otaktay on a seemingly insignificant dirt road. However, history has shown us that astounding events can turn a mundane location into a place of legend, a landmark that either boasts the magnanimity of the victor, or the wretchedness of the defeated. 

Bayard Cael and the Otaktay had not anticipated the resistance they would meet , especially from the Chosen of Alviss. Ageless doctrine prevented the benevolent Immortalis from killing humans, but the Chosen of Alviss had no such qualms.  The Defenders of Humanity knew they were in trouble, and were even more taken aback when a larger party of Immortalis closed in to aid their allies. Bayard Cael watches as a mass of raw energy slams into one of his men. The soldier is knocked backward, with no time to recover, as the Chosen of Alviss decapitates him in one swift movement. Simultaneously, the ground begins to tremble as Depheir casts Tremor. Sembas lunges forward with his spear. Dennan, Archer, Constancy, and Fjorin (Fiorin) arrive on the scene and prepare to take action. Bayard Cael is no fool. He knows when he has been beaten. Only one of his allies remains. He seizes the man roughly by the arm. Cael’s form erupts in a dense, purple glow and his body accelerates forward, dragging his hapless companion behind him, their forms moving at a breakneck speed.

Constancy looks on with curiosity. “Magic? First the teleporting, now this. The Otaktay have never used magic before. The imprint of the magic is odd. I have never seen its like before.” This was an interesting revelation. Certainly some mortals had access to magic, the Otaktay generally abhorred anything “unnatural” and they felt magic was an aberration of nature.

Dennan moves to chase after them but Archer firmly plants a hand upon his chest. “Leave them, my friend. Though I do not trust the Lady of Shadows, I believe we should ask the General to consult the Divine on this matter. If they truly do have a way to incapacitate us, then they could be leading us right into a trap. This is a fight for another day.”

“Are you insane!” shouts Blood. “We can’t just let them leave!”

Archer rounds on Blood. “And what would you suggest we do? We can’t kill them!” Archer sighs. “We got what we came for. Aras won’t be coming back.” She watches as the Otaktay disappear into the woods.

“What do you mean?” questions Blood in confusion.

“I will explain on the way.” Archer reaches into her pack and pulls a small, crystal ball from her bag. “Cleo…” When she speaks the name of the Seer, the miniature orb springs to light. “Bring us back.”

As the portal opens, Fjorin expresses his interest in joining the Ageless in Avalon, but it takes more than a little convincing to allow Lai passage. It is determined that Fjorin will be allowed to pass through to Cleo’s abode, but he will not be allowed to pass into Avalon until the General is consulted about this rather unique situation. Carnis were inherently evil, in fact, this one had even blown Dennan up, yet despite this fact, none of the Ageless could sense any ill-intent, and at the very least, this Carnis had awoken their curiosity. Worst case scenario, if Lai did turn on them, Cleo would easily be able to banish him. Fjorin receives the disclaimer from Fenwick: those not accustomed to this form of travel may find it a bit unnerving.

As the Ageless and the Chosen of Alviss prepare to pass through the portal, Dennan and Constancy keep vigilant watch at the rear of the party. In the distance, there is a sudden ripple in the air, much like you might see heat wavering from scorched ground. From this spot, a brilliant fireball, cloaked in billowing flames of crimson and orange careens towards the rear of the party with alarming speed. Reflexively, Constancy begins to mutter a shield spell. Dennan roars and slams his fist into the ground, sending up a high wall of earth to protect everyone. It is not until seconds later that the folly is realized. There is a harsh, gurgling sound emanating from behind Dennan, and the feral man spins around just in time to see Brogan Constancy kneeling upon the ground. There is blood pouring from his mouth, and the point of a spear protrudes through the front of his throat. It is with dawning horror that Archer and Blood see the pulsing blue aura of an electricity spell dance down the blade, through Constancy’s gaping wound, and down the back of the spear.  The spell itself would have been enough to end the life of Brogan Constancy. It was an electricity spell that had caused his first, and accidental, death at the hands of his own sister. The spear wound was an added insult, intended to make Dethys’s apprentice suffer a horrible, painful, second death.

The words of Bayard Cael echo in Blood’s head, “I have made it my personal duty to learn about you and your brethren as much as I can. I know who you are, I know who you were, and I know how you may die. I have spent years researching the Immortalis, and have committed much of my research to memory.”

The fireball had been a distraction, and as Archer and Blood rush forward to see if there was any way to save Constancy, the form of Bayard Cael, which had reappeared several yards down the road, once again blinks out of existence, as the leader of the Defenders of Humanity teleports away. As Constancy lay dying, it is then that a second revelation will take form: only an Immortalis can kill another Immortalis, yet Constancy is dying at the hands of Bayard Cael. The only logical conclusion was Bayard Cael had become an Immortalis.

History has shown us that astounding events can turn a mundane location into a place of legend, a landmark that either boasts the magnanimity of the victor, or the wretchedness of the defeated.  Upon that day, on a seemingly insignificant dirt road, Constancy drew his last breath, and all who looked upon him were affected with deep, unrelenting sadness as only the defeated can feel. Their folly had been the assumption that the Otaktay were all human, and it was for this reason that they had extended their mercy. They stayed their hands and let Bayard Cael escape, only to return to slay one of their own.

The crimson, stained, bit of earth that marked the spot where Brogan Constancy fell would serve as the official start of the war between the Ageless and the Otaktay. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 03:56:40 PM by Faidth »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 04:25:40 PM »
Sig attempts to play one of his restorative songs to try and heal Constancy, but even the Chosen of Alviss can tell that it is far to late to do anything that would be of much use. He instead shifts his tune to a quiet haunting melody, meant to ease Constancy's passage into the next world as well as to ease the sorrows of those gathered around him.

As his fingers masterfully pick out the notes on his lute, Sig stares in the direction that the Otaktay leader was last seen in. His face is unreadable, but his mind is alive with fury and resolve. The Immortalis will obviously rise to meet this new threat. And as long as Sig breathes and that man remains alive, at least one Chosen of Alivss will stand with them.