Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Thoughts?  (Read 16708 times)

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2013, 07:26:52 AM »
This was so not how I was imagining The Gorger, for me it was more like this:
http://www.joblo.com/newsimages1/abomart01%20copy.jpg

With scraps of metal attached, a hunchback and rotting all over.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2013, 11:48:55 AM »
Haha, well, as I said, he is supposed to be hunched over with scraps of metal attached.  But criteria and time constraints of the assignment stopped me from doing those things.  If that's how you picture him, keep picturing him like that. :)

EDIT: Thought I should add that I'll be re-drawing him correctly at some point, probably in a group picture with Sun Wu, Rau, and Sir Walter.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 12:05:36 AM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »

Contest entry for my school. We could draw a hero, sidekick, or a villain. I chose villain.

Inspired by a short story I read that roughly goes:

In a monastery, there was a monk that was having difficulty meditating. Every time he tried, a giant spider would interrupt him, and vanish. The monk constantly tried to fend the spider off, but to no avail. Finally, he went to his master asking for help. The master gave the monk a paintbrush, and instructed him to paint a circle on the belly of the spider the next time it appears. The monk tried to meditate once more, and when the beast showed itself, he painted the circle on its belly. It vanished once more. The monk then looked down to discover a circle painted on his own belly.

I took it a step further. The monk's blindfold represents his refusal to see that it is he who is causing himself hardship.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2013, 04:04:23 AM »
Good job! I like the lighting and especially the smirk on his face. It is like it says “Heh, I knew it all along!”

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2013, 01:08:47 AM »
Landscape Practice.  I learned a lot, and I know what I'd do differently the second time around.

EDIT: Apparently there's something wrong with the file and it won't display?  I'll figure it out...

EDIT OF EDIT: Think I fixed it?

This one is going to be a playable "Berserker" class in an indie beat 'em up game my buddies and I are working on currently (I jumped ship on the prior strategy game crew, since they had no idea what they were doing).  While it looks fairly simple, this is probably the most technical piece I've ever done, and it seems to be most appreciated by fellow artists who have an eye for what I did with it.  I'm actually proud of this one.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 01:16:10 AM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2013, 05:46:26 AM »
The landscape looks awesome. The stars are a very nice touch. As for the berserker, I just can’t shake the feeling that the hands of a Minotaur, be it female or male, should be bulkier. To me they look like sticks and it feels wrong.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2013, 12:25:23 PM »
That's an intentional choice.  The game has a cartoony style to it, so nobody will be built realistically. :P  Personally, I love the twiggy arms with the ridiculously huge gauntlets.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 01:34:03 PM »

A god that was captured by a greedy civilization that bleeds him in order to power their city.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »
That's always a bad idea and it's just begging for some noble soul to free him and watch him lay havoc upon the city.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 01:39:19 PM »
Wow, that's a great concept and you executed it very well.

You MUST be studying anatomy. 

Great job.

NOTE:  For the sake of any angry ancient beings watching, I do not condone the capture and exploitation of any elder beings.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2013, 08:29:12 AM »
I I like the way his energy sips into the city.
His posture gives me the vibe that there is something above him and he can’t get up. I am imagining the sword of Damocles above him.  :D

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2013, 06:39:00 PM »
Went through your art in this thread, I feel like it gets better and better.  Your 'villain' assignment is probably my favorite in terms of pure artistic style, but conceptually the bound God is the coolest.

The landscape image is very good too - I personally like the subdued coloring and lighting, and how it contrasts with the epic scale of the city.

The Berserker character's cartoony, exaggerated style isn't really to my personal liking, but I can see why a lot of artists would give you props for it - the exaggerating angling creates a really good dynamic effect.

The Gorger is actually a very good piece too, though I have to admit I have no idea what he's "supposed" to look like so can't vouch for it on that front.  Taken alone, I'd say it's almost on-par with the 'villain' piece.  Better framing, though I do feel the lack of color hurts it a little.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2013, 08:58:50 PM »
Thanks guys!  But yeah, I'm improving slowly but surely.  Hopefully I'll have more products worth showing after this quarter is over.  Maybe even have some spare time to do some Shadowhaunt characters once it's over (including a proper The Gorger).  I doubt it, but we'll see. XD

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2013, 01:21:27 AM »
Hey Stu. The Administorum could use a banner. Would you possibly be able to help with that?

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2013, 12:19:33 PM »
I can try to get around to one at some point, but I'm pretty swamped, so it will probably be awhile. :P  What did you have in mind?

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 11:19:39 PM »

Warlord boss in side-scrolling beat 'em up game project I'm working on.  Corresponding boss for previous warrior chick I drew.  He fought for his right to the throne, but lost his arm in the process.  Determined, he sought the aid of warlocks, and found ways to bind his flesh with that of demons in order to restore his arm, and allow him the power to take the throne.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »
The way the arm connects looks awesome, but the axe is way better!  Now  make this guy the main character, make the axe do some snide remarks and light conversation, than sell it to me!

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2013, 04:40:58 PM »
You, my friend, have a gift.  ;)
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 01:25:14 AM »
Radobe: I'll get right on that. XD

Danyael: Thanks man!

I have a few here that are a combination of line practice, a homework assignment, and bribery from my DM in the form of experience points to draw his characters. XD

Above is Cortstwyr, the elf that - so far - is our employer, out for the general good of the world (despite us being total bastards half the time).

Above is the blind oracle who has cursed one of my teammates for lying, and therefor making it so she can never tell a truth.  Hilarity ensued.

Above is the "Hnefi" class, essentially a female dwarf monk.  Our DM insisted that monks are always the most played, so he decided if someone wanted to play one, they'd have to have a level of comfort that would be okay with being a female dwarf.  To me, this idea made it MORE awesome. XD

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 01:40:59 AM »
very nice all around I gotta say.  The captured god and the warlord boss ones are prolly my favorite (love the color combination and whatnot for the captured god one)
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.