Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: A new Earth??  (Read 4745 times)

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
A new Earth??
« on: September 30, 2010, 05:29:09 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100929/ap_on_sc/us_sci_new_earths

Scientists have found a planet 3 times larger than Earth and much closer to their sun (admittedly a dwarf star). Although it's orbit is such that it only takes 37 days to circle the sun, it still holds the ideal conditions for water.

And apparentely it's only 120 trillion miles away!! Hurry, sign up now and we assure you that your great-great-great-great grandchildren or so will be able to land upon this new world, exposed to brand new dangers not commonly (or never) experienced by modern man!!!

I personally think this would be cool if there really were some bacteria or some other advanced life form found on it. Just think of the implications!!
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: A new Earth??
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 08:17:37 PM »
Aliens will probably be so strange compared to us that upon encountering one our heads will explode.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 09:13:07 AM »
Apparently Gilese 581b always has one side facing its sun, and the other always in darkness. The in-between area is the most viable for life, while the other is always a hot place and the other is always freezing cold and more than likely barren unless it has a moon that does the same.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 04:38:40 AM »
This is the kind of stuff I like to see in news.  But, what I'm really concerned about is... what are the latest shenanigans with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie's marriage?!

In all seriousness though, I need to follow up on that story and see what they find out.  Hope it doesn't end up as a flop like the others.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 07:13:12 AM »
Well if we live in the in-between world of light and darkness, I bet it can spring up lots of literature. 'Twilight: New World'. 'Six degrees can make this just right'. 'Gilesians. Did we really come from Earth?'

And generations from now, we shall become... a myth.

Also, I think they will flop up eventually.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
Scientists flop up all the time. It's how they learn from their new discoveries that separates the true scientists from the glory mongers.
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o