Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8043  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)  (Read 70919 times)

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)
« Reply #140 on: September 28, 2013, 03:17:24 PM »
“Thank you for sharing.” Siron pauses for a second and looks at Corvus. “I know it can’t be an easy subject for you,” the knight chuckles a bit before the next part. “But I also find it hard to believe that your mother gave birth to you and Dennan at the same time. It would be like having two pairs of testicles being kicked at the same time!” An obvious attempt at cheering up his companion, but pretty much all he can offer at the time.

“Seriously now, about those Combat Tactics you mentioned earlier, can you really teach me some of it? I mean if it isn’t magic then I can pull it off two right?”
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #141 on: September 29, 2013, 02:48:46 AM »
Sig really doesn't know what to make of Blood's refusal to talk about... whatever this thing she told Calming was. It's one of the few times Sig has actually seen her reluctant to speak her mind. He also doesn't know what to think about being called a hobgoblin, but he lets that one slide. An amazing feat of will keeps Sig from laughing out loud when Calming makes his "silent, non-abrasive" crack, which more than likely saves him from Calming's fate. Which Sig DOES laugh at.

Sig marvels at the torch that Calming produces and almost drops it when it is thrown to him. He listens closely to it's description. He then turns around and holds the torch up high, to see if he can see his footprints leading into the room.

"Well, ain't this something! Now I can see more than just the spirits they put in bottles. How did you come across this little beauty?"

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #142 on: September 29, 2013, 07:12:17 PM »
General Fury handles the situation well, and Fjorin seems somewhat comforted that he is not alone in his illiteracy.  "It would be an honor to learn written word." He let a light breath out through his nose as Fury praised him once again, smirking, "General Ebonmane... I have to admit, I prefer the sound of it to 'Prince.'" Already so many were putting their hopes on the last of the Ebonmane.  He was to be the slayer of Bayard Cael, and now a general.  While he was used to such praise in life, here, among these Ageless, men and women some mortals see as gods, and one of which dares to defy them... it was difficult to digest, but he would not argue.

Fjorin was learning much from the Blood-Warden General.  The Divine can create, the Adversary can corrupt, and the All-Father could only create chosen... upon mention of Sig, the warrior recalled as he stood witness to the Chosen of Alviss's power as he scattered and destroyed the Otaktay's forces.  She continues, and sums things up with a shocking theory.

"If the Lady of Shadows made Bayard Cael an Immortalis... with Lai's information, it would only be natural that I was not known to Dethys." Things started to come together as to why Fjorin differed so from the other Ageless.  For now, they were only theories, however.  He needed to focus on the task before him.  "My apologies, General.  Continue." he practiced his etiquette before General Fury read.

Azazel Punisher is first.  He is either an honorable man who fought to the death for someone he believed to be innocent... or simply an easily seduced guardsman.  His death wound is one Fjorin is confident he can manage.  Though, if it was well guarded, Fjorin would no doubt have to pick him apart first.  The warrior stifled the combative shadow dancing that meandered about in his head, and focused as the general continued.

Navar Coward.  At the mention of "Coward" Fjorin's eyes seem to dim.  There is no honor in defeating a man who has shit himself before he's drawn his sword.  At the very least, his wound is convenient.  It would be most difficult to kill the man if he were to actually face him and fight, no doubt.

Ravana Blackheart, however, is another story.  Mastery over the elements was indeed dangerous to Fjorin's newfound life.  Her death wound complicated things somewhat, as strangulation takes time.  If Fjorin were to face her, he would first have to cease her means of casting spells before attempting to finish her; another topic he would need to research.

Finally, Fortuna.  Her tale is a truly harrowing one.  Fjorin lost everyone he knew and loved in battle - scattered to the vast seas by a powerful shaman.  Fortuna lost everyone she had known and loved to murderers - to flames born of naught but cruelty.  He began to wonder if any Immortalis had died a peaceful death.

Fortuna's death wound was flame.  Should he face her in battle, Fjorin would simply need to create an opening for another, disable her, or find an improvised flame.

As the battles played out in his head, it was clear to him he had more preparations ahead than the scholarly pursuit.  Fjorin stowed away the names in his now lengthy list of Forsaken to be slain, and he burned the images of their death wounds to his mind.

His expression became solemn as he looked to the Blood-Warden General.  "By your good graces, I have armed myself with knowledge.  By your leave, General Fury, I shall arm myself with a new blade as well.  I'm afraid my arms are mere piecemeal scraps scavenged from the ruins of my old home."

From all he had learned of the Ageless so far, he knew they were compassionate... even toward those who seek their deaths, as Dennan yelled and fought to spare the lives of the Otaktay.  General Fury had fought the very laws of nature to save one of her own, and now she spoke of Fortuna with a hint of regret: "Had she remained."

"They are strong, but I fear it is their compassion that will be their downfall."

Perhaps the Lady of Shadows was right, yet... how could General Fury be weak, when she had slain so many, and yet still dares to feel such compassion?  How does she go on, allowing herself to feel the pains that come with the heart, and yet persevere?

Upon General Fury's approval, Fjorin would leave to find a good blacksmith, and arm himself well.  The tasks before him were mountainous.

"So, what's the newest Ageless going to arm herself with?" Fjorin asked Lai playfully, giving her a gentle nudge - still somewhat surprised that there is actual contact upon the action.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 08:12:59 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #143 on: October 01, 2013, 09:58:54 AM »
Lieutenant Cauter's weakness is The Archon's wife.  Even if he could be persuaded to return, it seems dangerous to do so.  Sembas doesn't doubt The Archon and General Fury's love for each other, but he has seen what a jealous man can do to a relationship.  He even had to lock up that dolt Perry for a night when he wouldn't leave the Meada couple alone.  Some people just can't handle rejection.

Fortuna has a fear of weakness.  Something she and Sembas share.  He frowns upon hearing this.  If strength and knowledge were what you desired, he could think of no better place than Avalon.

Severan, his story is known to him.  Such a sad prophesy.  Sembas makes a mental note of Hearthwood Falls.  Should the opportunity strike, he will make a trip out there to gather information.

"Jonas, your counsel is invaluable.  I believe that these people can be saved.  I just hope I can share in your insight enough to be able to reach them."

Sembas stands and shakes the large man's hand.  As he makes his way through Jonas's house he says, "Thank you for everything Jonas.  I would like to pay you another visit once we return from our mission.  I hope I come back with good news.  Tell Faran hello for me, and that I wish him well."

With a wave Sembas walks off towards Dennan's house.  He flips open the flap on one of his shirt pockets.  Chico is lying on his back snoring.  Somehow the little mouse found some fuzz and made himself a little bed in there.

He hope's Dennan is at home.  As the Falconer walks he spreads his arms and wiggles his fingertips, feeling the air pass over them.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #144 on: October 01, 2013, 10:20:33 PM »
@Siron:

Corvus shrugs. “I don’t see why not. Maybe when we get back from the Marrow we can take some time to train. I can show you a few things. It takes a lot of practice, but I think you could manage to pull it off.”

You follow Corvus to the headquarters of the Fierce Legion. After inquiring within, you are informed that the Captain is likely at his personal home. Corvus leads you out of the Bulwark Headquarters, through the city square, and towards the west side of Avalon. As you approach Honor’s home, you find that it is most befitting of a knight. It is certainly not as large as a castle, but the essence is there. There are battlements, wall walks, a bastion, and even a portcullis that bars entry from unwanted visitors. The portcullis is currently raised, allowing access to two massive, wooden doors.

Corvus strides up to the door and places his hand on an enormous iron ring that is suspended from the gaping mouth of a fierce, metal wolf. He bangs the ring against the door and moments later, one of the doors opens. Honor groggily rubs his eyes and pokes his head out of the door. He glances up at the sky and narrows his eyes. His hair is disheveled and his eyes a bit bleary.

“Rough night?” inquires Corvus with a smirk.

Honor opens the door wider and you see he is clad in a white, cotton tunic with a brown, leather belt cinched around his waist. “You know how it is. Late night battle plans with Lieutenant Fierce. Once the Archon arrives, we will be departing with the Blood-Wardens for the front lines.”

Corvus nods in understanding. “Seems my mother has decided I will be taking a bit of an extended leave from the frontlines.”

Honor nods. “I never got the chance to express my condolences for you loss. I was much aggrieved to hear of Dignity’s passing. I’m heartily sorry, my friend.” Honor puts a hand on Corvus’s shoulder.

Honor gestures for you both to come in and you follow the sounds of his brown leather riding boots down the hall. Despite the brightness outside, the hallways are rather dark and lit by torches. There do not seem to be many windows, at least until you enter the common area. The common area is much brighter and has a far livelier feel than the drafty corridors.

Honor gestures for you to take a seat. “So, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?”

Corvus clears his throat. “Siron thought it would be prudent to let you know of his impending departure tomorrow.”

Honor raises an eyebrow. “Oh? He just arrived in Avalon. What all-important Bulwark business has him departing so soon?” Honor lifts a tankard from a small, wooden table and takes a swig.

“We leave tomorrow for the Sanguine Fields and the Marrow,” responds Corvus.

Honor chokes upon his beverage. “You what?”

Corvus nods. “It’s true.”

Honor shakes his head in disbelief. He places his tankard back upon the table and takes a deep breath.  “I’d say it was madness if not for the fact I have heard rumor of unrest in the Marrow. It must be enough of a concern to warrant the General’s attention.” Honor glances towards you. “Are you sure it is wise to send a Childer Immortalis on such a hazardous mission?”

Corvus shrugs. “It doesn’t matter what I think. My mother seems to think he is capable, he agreed to the challenge, so we leave tomorrow.”

Honor frowns. “Well, I know you are capable, Siron. All I ask is that you be careful.”

“Well, unfortunately we cannot tarry. I just wanted to make sure you were aware, given the fact that Siron was your charge.” Corvus stands and makes his way back to the corridor.

“Well, I certainly appreciate the thought. Let me see you gentlemen out,” offers Honor.

You make your way towards the hallway to follow Corvus while Honor lingers with you in the sitting room. The Captain’s hand grips your forearm and he leans in towards your ear. “Be wary of the General’s son, Siron. There is much unrest in him since his lady’s passing, and I worry that it has left him a bit unhinged. Why Fury is event letting him go, I will never know. Yet know this, Corvus Virtue has not been himself since returning from the front lines. Take care, lad.” Honor embraces you and sends you after Corvus. His warning echoes in your head as you make your way out of the abode.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #145 on: October 03, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
@Sembas:

When you reach Dennan’s cottage you find the General’s feral son sitting on a tree stump across from the massive bear, Fensten.

You see a mortar in Dennan’s hand and you note he is grinding something within it. As you draw closes, your nostrils are accosted by a strange, pungent smell.

Fensten groans loudly and clutches at his abdomen with his mighty paws. The noise is enough to startle Chico, who jumps so high he nearly topples out of your pocket before finding an edge to cling to.

Dennan frowns in response. “You’ve done this to yourself,” speaks Dennan unsympathetically. Dennan raises an eyebrow as he notes your approach. “I must apologize to you, Sembas. Archer had baked a bounty of honeycakes for your travels, but it seems Fensten decided to help himself. I am sure he will find some way to make it up to you.”

Fensten grumbles loudly in response.

“Open your mouth,” orders Dennan. Fensten does as instructed and Dennan scoops the foul-smelling mixture into the bear’s gaping mouth. It obviously tastes as awful as it smells; you never realized that a bear’s face could be so expressive.

With Fensten’s much-deserved bellyache tended to, Dennan turns his attention to you. “I know two falcons who are expecting your company, so we better get to it.”

Dennan whistles and Besnik comes swooping towards you at a breakneck speed. He just misses the crown of your head as he dips low and lands on Dennan’s outstretched arm. He plucks a feather from Besnik’s wing and offers it to you.

“I showed you the mouse form first because it is likely the easiest to assume,” begins Dennan.

“Hey! Who you calling easy?” demands Chico.

Besnik glowers at the little mouse. “Quiet, snack!”

“Why I never-!” Chico begins to clamber out of your pocket to take the fight to Besnik, but only manages to tumble to the ground where he lands in a pile of soft grass. Dennan scoops him up and places him in a pouch upon his belt.

“Follow me,” directs Dennan. It is a lengthy trek, but you eventually find yourself back at the waterfall where you spend a lovely evening with the fair Archer. You follow Dennan to the top of the waterfall and look down at the considerable distance between yourself and the pool below.

Dennan gestures to the feather in your hand. “Look closely at the formation of the feather, then close your eyes. Imagine your skin covered in this delicate plumage. Stretch your arms at your sides. Your feet become talons, and your arms become wings. Now on my count, you will jump.”

Chico whistles. “That’s a long way down, Sembas.”

“For a mouse, maybe,” returns Besnik.

“On three…” speaks Dennan. As you ready yourself to jump, you feel a firm shove from behind and hear Dennan shout, “Three!”

You feel the air whooshing around you, and you draw your knees in closer to your body. You can feel the slight change in temperature as the water below is colder than the air that surrounds it. You know you are drawing very close to the water when you manage to access all of your memories of Faile. In your mind’s eye, you see her swooping, cutting massive arcs in the sky as she descends and ascends until her heart’s content. As you recall your envy of her ability to defy gravity, you feel your feet twist and contort, and your whole body feels suddenly lighter. When you open your eyes, you find yourself hovering just above the water of the pool.

Besnik lets out a screech as he dive bombs the pool, deftly extracts a fish, and tosses it at your feathered head. You don’t quite have the hang of your new form yet and you can hear Besnik’s laughter as the fish smacks you in the side of the head.

“You may look the part of a falcon, but you sure don’t have our speed!” taunts Besnik. He takes off in the direction of Archer’s home and urges you to follow as fast as you can. At first, you struggle to keep up, but soon you can nearly match Besnik’s speed.

In the upper branches of Archer’s massive tree, you see a large nest that has been painstakingly crafted for maximum support. Faile is perched on the nearest branch and she lets out a screech in greeting, obviously thrilled to see your new form. She flies in a great circle around you to welcome you to her abode, before alighting back on her branch.

Within the nest, you see three light brown eggs with mottled spots of a darker shade of brown.

@Sig:

Calming winks at you in reply. “I have my ways.”

“He stole it,” responds Blood curtly.

“When you put it that way it sounds so callous. I like to think of it more as ‘borrowed without the intention of returning it,’” speaks Calming. “I liberated it from a bandit encampment. Besides, it can’t really be counted as stealing if it wasn’t theirs to begin with. A few hundred years ago, when I was a mortal, I was a procurer of rare items. My father was a yeoman. Not the most exciting occupation. He wanted me to take over the family custom, but I had other plans. I wanted to see the world.”

“My travels lead me to a place called Knot’s Notch. Rumor has it, it used to be a burial ground for the ancient kings. They weren’t exactly using the items there, and I was actually there to find a golden goblet that could bring its owner innumerable riches. Needless to say, I didn't find it. However, I did find the adventure I was looking for. Well, when I got there, I found that most of the treasures had already been claimed, but the bandits weren’t exactly the brightest characters. I managed to knock one of them out and steal his garb. The bandits were getting ready to head east, so I assisted them in packing their belongings. While we were loading up the carts, I liberated this pretty thing.”

“Well, upon some consideration, I thought, what better way to see the world than with some roaming bandits. I maintained my disguise until we reached the next city. When I was finally found out, their leader was so impressed with my subterfuge he allowed me to remain with their company. I stayed until I got bored with it all, and went about my merry way. This beauty came with me."

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #146 on: October 04, 2013, 01:11:28 AM »
After meeting Honor, Siron was left with a lot of questions. Questions he is not sure he should seek the answers for.  Honor’s words brought a grim look on the knight’s face. Though he knew he was letting himself get dragged in by enchanting environment of Avalon, it was a pleasant feeling. That feeling has now left him. He is about to go to a battle field, to fight for a cause he chose of his own will, to help the people that helped him and answer their expectations. There was no room for foolishness and he knew it.

“When you mentioned the loss of other immortalis, I thought you referred to the young man who was killed recently. I see that I was wrong.  I would also like to express my sincere condolences on the passing of Dignity. I might not have known her but I am sure she must have been a remarkable woman, “says Siron after catching up with Corvus and leaving the compound.

“May I ask how many of the ageless and forsaken have passed away recently? I understand that the frontlines are a dangerous place, but I am sure that without the knowledge of dead wounds and with the skills of the ageless, the forsaken would have a difficult time killing the members of the Bulwark.”

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #147 on: October 04, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »
Three eggs sit nestled in the large nest.  If a falcon could smile, Sembas's beak would be curved upwards as far as it could go.

He puts on his falconer hat (as if he ever takes it off) for a moment and inspects the eggs.  The eyes of a falcon are incredible, and he can see the smallest details on them without even squinting.  Satisfied, he turns to Faile and Besnik and calls out in excitement.

"Wonderful!"  His cry calls out across Avalon.  A little more composed he continues.  "These are three very strong and healthy eggs, you two.  Very well done.  And this is a very impressive nest, Besnik.  Quite sturdy, quite sturdy."  He repeats the last bit with a nod for emphasis.

"I am so very proud of you, Faile!"  Sembas exclaims.  "I can't wait to meet your eyases when they hatch."

The three of them converse and hop around the nest for some time.  Besnik even sits on the eggs for a spell while Faile and Sembas take a flight together.  The two of them dart and dive.  They catch a thermal and rise high into the air.  As they level out, Sembas finally speaks.

"It's like a dream, girl, flying up here with you."

"It really is.  Just don't make me turn into a human and walk on the dirt with you anytime soon."  Faile cracks back.

The two falcons laugh as they circle back around, finally landing back near the nest.

"I'll come and visit as often as I can.  I hope this mission doesn't take me away for too long..."  A tinge of sadness hits his voice.  Sembas looks to Faile and sighs.  "I don't know what to do, Faile.  We have always fought side by side, but I don't want you to miss your eggs hatching.  If this place is as dangerous as they say, we might be stuck there for a long time."

Sembas hangs his head a picks at a branch with his talons.  "It is your decision."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #148 on: October 04, 2013, 06:44:04 PM »
@Siron:

Upon your mention of Dignity, Corvus stops in his tracks. Since you met him, his expression has never strayed from one of jovial humor. He seems very much a carefree, easily approachable person… someone you can’t help but to trust and like. Yet, the heartbreak is evident upon his face, and his smile wanes, then dissipates entirely.

“Remarkable is an understatement.” His voice catches in his throat. “In my youth, I frolicked until my heart’s content and called many a strange bed my home for a night, maybe even two if it suited me. I have had my share of admirers, and can claim a countless amount as lovers. I have been called names by jealous husbands, and endured the wrath of many fathers...Lieutenant Fierce included." Corvus chuckles. "I'll never forget his face when I emerged stark naked from his eldest daughter's room."

The moment of levity quickly passes, and again his eyes are affected by pain. "Over the years, I have lain with a bounty of beauties.” You get the sense that he is not saying all this for the sake of stroking his own ego. There is certainly truth to his words. “But in all my life, in all my years, I never truly loved… until her.” His expression is absolutely broken, and you can clearly see just how much the loss of his beloved has affected him. "I had intended upon making her my wife... I had it all planned out. When we returned from the front lines, I would finally have the strength to ask her to be mine and mine alone. For from the first I laid eyes on her, my heart could only ever be hers."

He reaches into a pouch upon his belt and extracts a simple, gold ring. It is beautiful in its simplicity. "I would have given her a jewel big enough to cramp her finger, but she was always one for simplicity. She took pleasure in the overlooked joys of life. This... this is what I would have given her. She loved the ocean. She had grown up beside it in a kingdom by the sea. In her mortal life, she had been a serving girl, and any time she was not waiting upon her lady in the castle, she was out upon the beach with her toes in the sand and her head in the clouds. I had planned to bring her back to her homeland, to that same beach that had been a refuge from her harried life. Yet... it was not to be."

He returns the ring to its resting place. Corvus’s eyes are downcast and he takes a deep breath in an attempt to regain his composure. “The Forsaken are not the only threats to our survival, Siron. The Adversary attempts to claim us in many ways. On the front lines, there are horrors that I cannot begin to even put into words, save for nightmarish. They are creatures of innate evil with power beyond compare. Beasts, monsters, twisted abominations, shattered mirrors of things we know as living. While we may only be killed by other Immortalis, we may be injured, our bodies broken, our will destroyed, captured or otherwise incapacitated.”

“As for the numbers of the Immortalis who have died, that I cannot claim to have knowledge of. Dethys Night is the First Scribe of the Sacred Order, and the Keeper of the Tome of the Immortalis. It is a book that details the birth, death, and second death, of every Immortalis, Ageless and Forsaken alike. As I recall, there are only ever 300 Immortalis in existence. Before Severan, they were all loyal to the Divine. Severan was the first who fell from grace, and many like Fortuna and Cauter followed suit.”

“For a time, we still managed to command the majority of the Immortalis, but eventually Severan’s forces came to equal our own. Now, rumor has it, that the Forsaken have a slight advantage in numbers. However, while the Forsaken have the Adversary’s creatures to aid them, we have found aid within the human realm. People from all over the world united in a common goal: to ensure humanity may thrive, even in the shadow of the Adversary’s continuing quest for domination over all.”

“The members of the Bulwark are truly formidable. Not many of us have been claimed upon the front lines, yet, Dignity was once counted among our numbers, and she fell. Yet, despite the fact that our more recent recruits, yourself included, are comprised of Childer Immortalis, we also boast the most experienced and skilled of the Ageless."

“What is important for you to consider, is whenever an Immortalis dies, another one is made. As much as Dignity’s passing tears at every fiber of my heart and mind, I find some comfort in knowing her spirit was welcomed into the kingdom of the Divine. You are here because an Immortalis died. Perhaps you took your second breath the moment she passed. I know not nor care not who had to die so Siron Entrima could live. But know this: take to heart this second chance at life. Never forsake the great gift the Divine has given you.”

@Sembas:

A glance is exchanged between Besnik and Faile. You know this look. It is the same one Archer gave to you upon hearing you would be leaving for the Sanguine Fields. He is clearly worried for the survival of his mate, and you can see in his eyes a sense of pleading. He glances down at the nest, then back to Faile, and if falcons could attempt a half-hearted smile, then that is the expression he would wear upon his face.

“It must be your choice, Faile. We have a duty to our children, but your duty to Sembas was formed well before this. It will be okay, love. I will guard our nest. I will ensure our children are warm and safe. If they are anything like their mother, they will have your stubbornness and simply refuse to be born until your safe return,” jokes Besnik.

It is evident this is a difficult choice for Faile. She sits in silence for several moments, carefully weighing her options. “You’re right, Sembas. It is dangerous… all the more reason I should be with you. Yet…” Her gaze drifts to the eggs within the basket. “One of my fondest memories of my mother is the first I have of her. I remember when I emerged from my egg. I was the last of them. My brothers had managed to make their way out before me. I was also the smallest, so small that a lesser falcon may have even tossed me out of the nest and let nature claim me. Why waste one’s time with a sickly creature with two healthy young ones to feed? Yet, my mother, she pressed her head close to mine to let me know everything would be okay.” Faile’s gaze locks onto yours. “I don’t want to miss a moment of my children’s birth, yet if anything happened to you without me to take care of you, I could never forgive myself.”

There is a sudden movement of air around you, and you can hear the flutter of large wings, followed by an unfamiliar voice.

“Good thing you won’t have to.”

Letting out a wild screech in greeting, another falcon lands beside Faile. The newcomer bears a striking resemblance to Faile; even their markings are similar. However, it is slightly smaller than your companion.

Faile shakes her head in disbelief. “Anlaf!”

“Straight from the Raynar Mountains. I got here as fast as I could.” The newcomer peeks into the nest. “As I hear it, I am to be Uncle Anlaf. I must admit, I rather like the sound of it.”

Faile presses her head against the new falcon’s, Anlaf, as he is called. You recognize the name from some previous discussion with Archer, but at first you cannot place it. The recognition quickly dawns on you. Zarine, Faile’s mother, had three children. Faile, and her two brothers, Anlaf and Cuthbert. You recall Archer mentioning that Anlaf made his home in the Raynar Mountains.

“Not that I am complaining, but why are you here?” asks Faile.

“To spare you the hardship of a painful decision,” returns Anlaf. “Besnik got word to me this morning that you would be departing on a journey with your master. You now have other matters to tend to, so I will be happy to stand in your place, should your master have me.”

“How did you get here so quickly?” asks Faile.

Anlaf cocks his head to one side. “Ah… that is for me to know, and for you to never find out. The point is I am here.”

“I can’t let you take my place,” argues Faile. “If something happens to you, I would feel terrible! Sembas is my responsibility! He gets himself into all manner of troubles! One time, Archer had him pinned down fast and he was crying out something fierce. She had stolen his wriggly worm with her legs and I had to swoop down and scare her away so he could free himself!” Faile pauses. “You know he didn’t even say thank you! He was all waving about telling me I ‘killed the mood.’ Fine way to thank someone for saving your skin!”

Anlaf appears confused. “I have no idea what you are talking about.”

“The point is, it is my job to take care of Sembas,” rationalizes Faile. “He’s my responsibility. I decided when I took a human as a pet that I would take very good care of it, and I have. You’ve never even had a human, Anlaf.”

“I’ve never had the desire to shackle myself in such a way. I come and go as I please without anyone to answer to. It’s well and good if you and Cuthbert take it upon yourselves to endure such a bore, but I like to think there are better things to do with my time. However, I am willing to babysit your human just this once. Your responsibility is in that nest,” states Anlaf firmly. “There will be plenty of time for journeying about once your young ones have arrived. Please, sister, it is the least I can do after all the jesting you endured as a chick.”

“I know you were only joking,” states Faile.

“I was. Cuthbert really meant for you to get stuck in that jam jar. Awful sense of humor that one.”

Faile is reluctant, but after much persuading by both Besnik and Anlaf, she finally relents and gives her blessing to the arrangement.

Anlaf turns to you. “Now, what do you say, human? Will you have me?”

“Of course he will!” interrupts Besnik as he shoos you on your way. "Now, off with you! We have much to discuss and you best be seeing my mistress before you leave.”

In all your time with Faile, you have found it is useless to argue with a falcon, so you swoop down to the little window in Archer’s kitchen to seek out your lady.

Archer is sitting at the breakfast table with a book in her hand and a large map unfolded on the table in front of her.

“Hello, dear one,” speaks Archer without raising her eyes from her book. “I take it you’ve met Anlaf. I hope you are not offended that he has offered his services to you. I know you would much rather have Faile at your side, but I assure you he is just as capable of performing the same tasks she would. Even I was forced to give Zarine some space when she was tending to her eggs. Her mate belonged to another Immortalis, an Ageless falconer named Zep. Both he and his master perished on the front lines, and Zarine had to tend to the nest alone. It was difficult without her. At least you have another falcon to serve with you. In her absence, I had to make do with a rather foul-tempered crow.” Archer frowns at the memory. “Anyway. I found this book for you. It was given to me shortly after my arrival in Avalon and details the practices one should abide by to be an effective tracker. I felt it may benefit you in the field.”

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:41:30 PM by Faidth »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2013, 05:35:07 AM »
There is a deafening silence once Dethys warns Fenwick, punctuated only by the coughing and ruffling of bed sheets in the bed room. The stress Dethys was feeling had painted a face utterly different to the one he held during their first arrival.

Even immortalis can tire, but never easily. They can die, but not conventionally.

Fenwick replies with a nod, shame and dignity (pride?) mixing together, preventing his mouth from forming words. How to proceed when one knows he has broken the social norms? When one decides that he is, in fact, right?

"Tell me what you've seen. Please." Fenwick finally asks. Experience, any sort at all, was sometimes worth more than any good in the world during his merchant days. Perhaps he could glean some information about the ageless, the forsaken, and all this mess going on.

As the coughing continues, Fenwick occasionally glances over to the source of the sound. Immortalis can die... But not conventionally. Did that mean...?

"How long...?" It is a touchy subject. Of course it was. It was the subject that made him willing to trespass, try to find knowledge of someone else, and theoretically sacrifice one of his fellow comrades.

Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #150 on: October 05, 2013, 12:04:52 PM »
@Fenwick:

Dethys is silent for several moments. He leans back upon the couch, his eyes closed. “I am so very… very… tired.” A slender hand pushes his long blonde hair from his face. “Your little… outburst… though not unfounded, is at best, likened to a tantrum from a petulant child. You are no longer mortal, Fenwick. The eventuality that is the human condition is now lost to you. You quake with fear because there is a chance you may die again.” Dethys shakes his head. “No, I can assure you that you WILL die. We all will. I don’t even think that the Archon and the General are beyond being affected by their eventual reunion with the Divine. At some time and in some place, we will all be as dust. But that should have no bearing on what we do while we are here.”

“You cry and moan because your parents were unjustly killed. At least you have the opportunity to see your father again. My parents were taken from me when I was very young. I have not seen them for over 1,000 years. You haven’t even been an Immortalis for one. You cannot fathom the unfortunate yet inevitable nature of the circle of life. I know that my wife lay in the next room dying. At any moment, she may breathe her last, for unlike me, she was not fortunate enough to become Immortal. Why would the Divine choose me, but not her? She is a far better person than I. She is kind, and good, and patient. None of these are qualities I may lay claim to. Yet, she is the one who is slowly dying. Even as a mortal, she should have decades left in her life, yet she is doomed to be taken far before her time, and when she leaves, I will lose the other half of my soul, and my very heart of hearts with her. It is I who will be left behind to care for our son, who in all likelihood will also be mortal. Perhaps I will be fortunate enough to spend the next eight decades or so with him, but he, too, will die.”

“You act as if you are afraid of dying, Fenwick Hux, but I don’t think that’s the case at all. I think you’re afraid of living. The Divine has granted you gift after gift. You have a woman that would do anything for you, friends that regard you highly, a mentor who granted you his trust (of which you betrayed and nearly threw a fellow Ageless to the wolves,) and a leader who thought you wise enough and brave enough to invite you into the Bulwark. Yet you… you who should be a giant among us, would much rather cower in a corner, rather than seek out the great power you can achieve, quake among the reeds merely skating by on what little you already know.”

Another fit of coughing affects Caerina and Dethys winces at the sound. All the while he is silent, his expression pained, until the coughing once again subsides. “I have done what I can to extend her life, but no spell, potion, herb or salve will keep her here forever. She fights valiantly, but her sickness will claim her, of that I am certain. As much as I mourn her eventual loss, while she remains I will do all I can to make her final days with me as close to Heaven as can be found on earth or in Avalon. I will dote upon her, I will pledge every waking moment that I may spare to her, and I will ensure that she feels love so totally and completely she may rest with ease.”

“You, Fenwick, are so lost in your own pain and plight, that you do not realize your hurt pales in comparison to the broken hearts and affected minds that can be found in Avalon. Yet, every day we soldier on, and greet each and every day as it may be our last. You, who have endured less than three decades of toil, cannot imagine what I have seen in my 1,000 years.”

“No, the pain never leaves, not entirely. Yet, it does get easier. You will watch many fall, some even before your very eyes. Yet, by being paralyzed by the fear of your eventual demise, you spit upon their corpses. We honor our dead by living. We honor our lives by loving. We cherish our moments through expressing. We face our days with courage. Even Cardack, perhaps the greatest pacifist to ever walk among us, knows the value of life, so much so he was willing to bind himself to a bloody book to remain. How can you value life when your fear of death is so much greater?”

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #151 on: October 06, 2013, 09:11:19 AM »
“Remarkable is an understatement.”…” Never forsake the great gift the Divine has given you.”

“I would never forsake my life,” Siron looks at Corvus and meets his eyes. “But risking it is a different story. If I have the opportunity to protect those around me I would not hesitate to do so.” His tone gets slightly louder and his determination can clearly be heard. “I am going to be a knight and I will not spare myself any hardships to protect the needy and my allies, whatever the cost.” The Childer calms down and continues in a normal tone of voice. “As for love, I know nothing of it.” Siron taps his companion on the shoulder and smiles. “Despite that, I still know your feelings won’t get the best of you. You are a strong man Corvus Virtue. Amongst all this exceptional individuals, you might have lost sight of that, but I can see it clearly. I saw a glimpse of your strength when you faced me. There are no doubts that I will see more of it in the coming days. Because, Corvus Virtue, when strong men fall they stand back up. They stand for those they love and cherish, for those that love and cherish them and for those that they shall love and cherish! You my friend are no exception.”

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2013, 11:59:54 AM »
Anlaf, Faile's brother.  Sembas gawks at him from the opposite branch.  He can't get a word in while they decide that Anlaf will accompany Sembas for the upcoming mission.  His beak hangs open in disbelief.  It is promptly shut as Besnik shoos him off of the branch.  He makes a pass by the nest as he circles down onto Archer's window.

“Hello, dear one,” Archer greets him.  It warms his heart.

Sembas looks at the floor and imagines human legs stretching down to it.  As he hops from the windowsill he envisions the heels of his leather boots stomping on the floor.  He opens his eyes, even though he doesn't remember closing them.  His vision is less precise, and he can't feel the wind dancing across his feathers anymore.  Instead of a beak, his fingers itch at his nose for a piece of dust that was tickling it.

"Yes, I have met Anlaf.  Male falcons are usually a tad smaller than the females, but they tend to be a little quicker on the wing.  They are just as stubborn as the females, I'm afraid.  I am very relieved that Faile will be able to stay with her eggs and watch them hatch.  I would have gone without her, even if she demanded to come along.  I am glad she chose to stay without me making her.  I believe Anlaf's arrival was more than a coincidence, but I can't prove it."  He rambles.

The Falconer stands at the window for a moment, considering Gladia as she pages through the book.  She seems distant, her presentation of the gift was rather wooden.  Sembas slides out a chair and sits next to her at the table.  He mock studies the map, mumbling the names of a few locations his eyes skim across.

Unable to keep up the facade of interest, Sembas gently takes the book from Archer's hands.  He places it upon the table, then wraps her hands up with his.  His golden eyes stare intently into hers.  The past few days have been a blur.  Constancy's death set him on a course of self discovery and change.  He has found what it feels like to crawl as a mouse, and to soar as a falcon.  But after his discussion with Jonas and even Merchant, his heart and mind have changed a great deal also.

"Thank you for the book, Gladia.  I will study it."  He taps his thumb on his knuckle as he searches for his next words.  "I'm sorry that I have been absent since the funeral.  Had I known I would be leaving so soon I would have spent more time with you."  He lets go of her hands and sits back in his chair.  The ominous feeling from after the meeting crept back into his stomach.  "I couldn't help but notice your expression after hearing about the mission to the Sanguine Fields.  Is this place really so terrible?  I haven't seen you so worried before."
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:03:46 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
@Sembas:

Archer nods in understanding. "I, too, regret our lack of time together, but I am thankful for the moments we did share, however brief."

When you ask of the fields, Archer hesitates. "I wish I could tell you it is not as bad as it sounds, but I do not wish to lie to you. It is a place even the veterans fear to tread. My greatest regret is that I will not be there with you. That fact frightens me more than anything the Sanguine Fields could unleash upon me. You cannot trust your eyes and ears in such a place. You must trust your instincts. That place is so corrupt even your senses will betray you."

Archer slides closer to you and rests her head upon your shoulder. "I do not wish to spend our final moments together before your departure speaking of such troubling things. We have the rest of today yet and this evening to ensure we can make up for lost time. I do not know how long you will be gone but I pray to the Divine you find your way home soon."

Her hand reaches up and lovingly strokes your cheek. "Please be careful. Do not underestimate the dangers that can be found in the fields. Nothing can be trusted, not even your own companions. The fields have a way of turning one against another. And should you ever lose hope, remember what you have waiting for you here back in Avalon. You will encounter great despair but take heart... Think of me, as you know I will be thinking of you."

She wraps her arms around you in an affectionate embrace, and when she presses her lips to yours, you can see it is consuming all her strength to fight back tears.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2013, 03:24:05 PM »
Sembas returns Archer's embrace, wrapping his arms around her just as affectionately.  As their lips part, he pulls her closer, hoping to curtail the threatening tears.

Seeing her so affected is frightening, but he will not last as an Immortalis if he succumbs to fear.  He closes his eyes and takes in the embrace.

"You are a pillar of my life, Gladia.  To lose you would mean a collapse of my being.  I will think on this moment in times of despair, and also in times of joy."

He holds the embrace for a time, but his mind begins to churn.  There are so many questions that Sembas has for Archer.  Aras was persistent that he still had feelings for her, but thankfully she did not return favor.  It is not his place, but the interaction has been in the back of his mind ever since.

Jonas's story has also been occupying a place in his mind.  Learning of the man's death and life was a somber lesson.  It also nagged at something in his thoughts.  He didn't know how Archer became an Immortalis, and he wasn't sure if she knew his entire story.  Dethys would probably not withhold such information, but he decided to retell it nonetheless.

Sembas relaxes his embrace and stands from the table.  He begins loosening straps and unbuttoning clasps on his armor.

"Do you know how I died?"  He asks, not waiting for a response.  "Faile and I were on patrol when she spotted a group of individuals who we thought were bandits.  Headstrong as always, she flew ahead while I sprinted behind her."

His heavy gauntlet hits the floor with a thud as he begins unhooking his chest piece.

"They knocked her out of the sky with a spell.  As I ran towards them I caught one with an arrow in the back.  She killed another with our lightning spell.  But then..."  He places his hand over the side of his ribs, a pained expression on his face.  "Then one of them fired an enchanted arrow.  It struck Faile faster than I could blink.  I fell to the ground, my legs having collapsed underneath me."

He removes the sheath at his thigh and pulls out his hunter's knife.  "When I came to, the one that fired the arrow was standing over me.  He was musing at our supposed deaths.  I surprised him when I ran him through with my knife."  He considers the weapon before sheathing it and placing it on the pile of his armor.

"Our bond is so great that when she was to die, we both would have perished.  I think that because I became an Immortalis, she was spared as well.  I only hope that if I perish, she will remain living.  But only The Divine knows what will happen if that day ever comes."

Sembas, pulls on a pair of linen pants he had stored in the closet.

"If wasn't long after that when she beckoned me to follow her to Avalon."  He sits down next to Archer again with a smile.  "And then I met you."  He holds her hand once again, this time without the layer of leather between them.

"We were speaking of death wounds earlier, and I realized that I did not know yours.  I cannot protect you from something I am ignorant of.  And it is my only wish to protect you and Faile, Gladia.  Lest I crumble and fall."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2013, 06:42:13 PM »
@Sembas:

Archer listens intently, smiling at your words of love, and thoroughly gratified by your regard for her. As you begin to discuss your wound, her attention is rapt, and her voice silent. When you inquire after her own Death Wound, she says nothing for several moments. Just when you think she will deny your request for her story, it is then she begins to relate to you the tale of her second life.

“I told you once of my father and his passing. He had been killed by poachers who sought a rare and marvelous creature that resided in the Aldwen Pass, not far from our home. I was the one who found my father. It was uncommon for him to be out after nightfall, so I went to look for him. When I found him, his throat was slit from ear to ear, but that was not the worst of his wounds. They had tortured him first, likely for information on the whereabouts of the white owl. Its feathers were said to have healing properties, and it is rumored anyone that imbibes its blood could be granted immortality. It would truly be quite a find for treasure seekers.”

“I do truly believe my father knew where the creature lived, but I also know he took that secret to the grave with him. Even as a hunter, he taught me only to take what I needed, to use all an animal had sacrificed its life for, and to honor it as its death allowed us to live. Yet, a creature as rare as that owl, it had to be preserved.”

Archer’s hazel eyes glint with defiance. “It could not fall to human greed. My father knew that, and as much as his absence pained me, and pains me still, I know why he would rather die than part with such a secret.”

“I had become a very adept tracker. Poachers are typically clumsy oafs. They use make few attempts to cover their tracks. However, these poachers were quite professional. Even I had some difficulty in tracking them. I had not known they had a skilled tracker of their own with them.”

“I pursued them for quite some time, but eventually I managed to track them down. All the while, they had been ascending one of the mountains that bordered the Aldwen Pass. It was by far the highest peak in the area. I kept my distance to observe them, but I could not refrain from long. They had cornered the white owl in its nest. I was surprised to find this creature of legend, despite its rather large size, was really only an owlet. An enormous brown owl, its mother, was desperately trying to protect it. She, too, was a magnificent creature. To this day, I have never seen a bird so large. She stood nearly five feet high! It lacked the properties of its child, so the poachers did not hesitate to kill it. I ran forward to aid it, but I was not in time. The poor beast died protecting its child.”

“I would not let harm befall the owlet, so I ran forward, swords flashing and rained down a flurry of blows upon the poachers. Man after man fell to my blades. At one point, I found myself surrounded, but managed to dispatch them all. Only four or so remained of the dozen I had encountered. It was their leader, Tarak, who managed to take me by surprise. Tarak was well-known in our parts. He was as ruthless a man as they come, and the previous spring he had slaughtered an entire herd of Marasa for their horns.” 

“While my back was turned, Tarak thrust a sword through my back, just above my shoulder blades. It severed my spine completely, and when I fell, I found I could not move. I was paralyzed from the neck down.” You recall seeing several scars on Archer's back. She had grown up in the woods and endured her share of injuries, yet the scar she referred to had always managed to catch your eye during your most intimate of moments. In fact, you had once noted that upon running your fingers over said scar, Archer had recoiled a bit at the sensation. You had learned your lesson and had since been careful to avoid it during your caresses. It would not be a wound that could be easily found as she typically wore armor.

“Tarak found this turn of events incredibly humorous. He rolled me onto my back and began to unfasten his pants to take advantage of me while his remaining men began to load the owlet into a cage. All the while, I screamed for the men to change their hearts and minds, and allow the bird to go. One of them, a tall man with green eyes and dark hair looked straight at me. While the others ignored my pleas, only he stopped in his tracks. I watched him unsheathe his swords and he killed one of his own companions on the spot, allowing the owl to fly free. Next, he ran to my aid and knocked Tarak off balance before he could take my honor. He battled fiercely against his leader, but in the end, he was bested.”

“By listening to their discussion, I found that the man who had saved me, Aras as he was called, could slip free of any bind. Tarak wanted him to suffer for his insolence. So, he took two large tent spikes, and while his sole remaining man held Aras in place, Tarak took up one of these spikes. He held Aras’s hands above his head, he placed the spike in the center of his palms, and with a hammer, he drove the spike through Aras’s hands and into the tree.”

“The last thing I remembered before I drifted off was watching the leader and his surviving lackey walk off into the woods. I soon drifted off, and Aras slowly bled to death. I don’t know how long we were out for, but when I next opened my eyes, there was a large, white, feathered head with two sapphire blue eyes staring down at me. It was the owlet. As a benevolent creature of the Divine, he had petitioned his Lord to spare me. He also gave me a choice. He said it would be up to me if I should choose to bring back the poacher who had used his final moments to aid me.”

“Though I hated the man for his potential role in my father’s death, I know that deep down, we are all capable of good, and though this man had failed in his task, he had tried to save me…. And died horribly for it. I gave my blessing and Aras was also given a second chance at life.”

“Together, we managed to track down the other poachers. They had not gotten far, and as you can imagine, they were quite surprised to see us. However, when I achieved my revenge, when I shot that arrow through Tarak’s gullet, and when Aras ran his lackey through with his swords, I found that my soul was still restless… I could not find peace. Not on that mountain… Not in the shadow of my father’s death. Lucky for me, peace would find me. A very grumpy and forceful Captain of the Blood-Wardens managed to track Aras and me to a tavern in a small village not far from the Aldwen Pass. At Blood’s insistence, we came to Avalon, where I have been ever since.”

“For a long time, Aras and I were lovers, but part of me could never forgive him for his role in my father’s death. He had confessed to me shortly after our meeting, that it had been he who had taken the knife to my father’s throat. Despite the fact Aras had used his final moments to save me, every time I looked at him, I saw my father’s vacant eyes. Aras begged my forgiveness time and time again. He swore to me he was a changed man, and I truly believe he did change. Yet, I could never let it go. I could never completely forgive him for his past, and it created a great chasm between us.”

“I truly attempted to forgive him, and I remained with him as long as my conscience would allow it. 300 years is a very long time to carry that baggage around. However, about 100 years ago, I could bear it no longer. I cut ties with him completely. He left Avalon and recruited his own company, the Shar’ada. We’ve seen each other only in passing since then.”
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 08:19:04 PM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2013, 08:28:30 PM »
Sembas is quiet for a long time.

Four hundred years is a long time to roam the world.  Three hundred years is a long time to call one a lover.  One hundred years is a long time to be alone.

A month or two, compared to Archer's many years must seem like mere seconds.

He pushes it aside as he speaks up, "I do recall you speaking of your father's death to poachers.  But I didn't realize that wasn't the end of the story.  I should have known, for I would have stopped at nothing to pay my retribution as well."

Sembas frowns as he says his next bit, "But you have a much larger heart than I do.  Were I in the same situation, I'm not sure what I would have done with Aras..."  He picks at a piece of fuzz on his pants.  "I do have to admit, as hard for you as it must have been, I am glad you decided to part ways with him.  For my sake, at least."  The last part is accompanied by a meek grin. 

"Thank you for sharing your past with me, Gladia.  And I am sorry to have requested the retelling of such sour memories."

He stands from the table and leans against the wall, looking out the window.  "Whenever I hear the Elder Immortalis's stories, I cannot help but feel the sting of youth.  It is as if I am a child seated at the grown up's table during the feast of Midsummer's Eve."

The young falconer turns back to Archer.  Seriousness hardens his features as he continues.  "But I am a member of The Bulwark.  I cannot traipse around like a child while my elder's toil for my protection.  I am seated at the table for a reason.  I need to be able to protect others and to stand for myself as an Immortalis.  So while I am away, I beg you do not pray for my safety.  Because safety means never venturing into the Sanguine Fields in the first place.  No, pray for my strength.  Pray for strength, so that when when safety is absent I have the power to defend my companions from harm."

"Pray for my strength, so that I have the power to return to you, no matter what chains may try and bind me."

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #157 on: October 09, 2013, 12:31:52 AM »
Sig grins at Calming's story as he continues to marvel at the torch.

"Tis a fine story for a fine item. perhaps when I come back from our trip, I can hear more of it over a drink or twelve!"

Sig carefully tucks the torch into his pack, amazed that it does not burn anything. He closes the pack and stares at it for a moment, humming a wistful tune under his breath that pops into his head unbidden. He then turns to Blood.

"Well, lass? Shall we be off? The others are more than likely waitin on us."

As Sig and Blood part with Calming and make their way back down to the tavern, Sig finds himself humming that tune to himself again. He had never heard it before now. He suddenly turns to Blood.

"I'm thinkin I need to stop here for a minute. Alviss is putting something in my head and I need to see what it is."

Sig sits down at the bar and grabs his lute. He begins to play the song he was humming. Slowly at first, but eventually getting faster as he puts the chords together. Soon he has it sounding just right. He stops, satisfied.

"Ah, there we go. The Father obviously wanted me to have that one before we got goin. Maybe it'll be useful on the trip."

Sig grabs a nearby tankard and takes a pull off it before giving Blood a serious look.

"Are you sure you don't want to tell me what that thing with Calming was about, lass? Who knows what we're gonna get into in this place. This might be our last change to talk for a while."
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 10:19:40 AM by Starblade|MKIV »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #158 on: October 09, 2013, 07:08:21 PM »
@Sig:
Blood listens as you are moved by Alviss to compose a strange melody. She cocks her head to one side in what appears to be a mixture of confusion and amusement. “Well, I’ve never heard anything like that before. Alviss has a funny way of making music.”

In response to your questioning, Blood narrows her eyes, a look you have come to realize means “don’t ask me that again.” For a moment, she looks as if she is about to say something, but thinks better of it. “None of your damn business, hobgoblin. Now are you going to keep flapping your gums and let me drink you under the table, or are you at least going to come to your senses and put up a fight, as futile as it may be.” As Calming has not yet made his way downstairs, Blood helps herself to a tankard of ale filled from a keg behind the bar.

After a few rounds, Blood sneers. “I’m not about to head to the fields with this as the last drink in my belly, and I do use the term drink very loosely in this regard.” She casts a look at Calming. “This is starting to taste more and more like swill every day.”

She begins to make her way out of the tavern, and before you can either agree or object to coming with her, she clamps her hand on the back of your shirt and hauls you off your barstool, ushering you out the door.

Back at Blood’s home, the Captain delves into her private reserves. The two of you finish a bottle, then another, and finally another. Even with your impressive Constitution and your incredible tolerance to spirits, you begin to feel the effects of the strong beverages you consume. The last thing you can recall is watching as Blood pulls the final bottle from her private reserves. Everything after that is little more than a blur.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #159 on: October 09, 2013, 08:51:30 PM »
@Sembas:

When you awake the next morning, you find your bed partner is missing from your embrace. Instead, when you open your eyes you find yourself staring into the faces of three busybody falcons.

Anlaf sits upon the headboard, his gold-rimmed eyes staring down at you. “This is really how you intend to start your day? You should have been preparing hours ago. There is much to do before our departure.”

“Have you even cleaned your weapons yet?” asks Faile. “Have you packed your bag and ensured you have provisions and supplies for your travels?”

Besnik sighs. “And for Divine’s sake, man! Put on some bloody clothes! I am glad to see you managed to wrench your dangly bits away from Archer.”

Faile shakes her head. “I certainly hope that’s not the first memory my children have. They can hear in there, you know! You and Archer all screaming about fit to wake the dead.”

For a moment, you question what possessed you to take a falcon as a companion. There’s no wonder there are so few falconers in the world.

You can hear Archer clattering about the kitchen busily preparing you a bountiful breakfast. Apparently she has help in her tasks, as you can hear Chico chattering away while he whisks some eggs in a bowl. The whisk eventually proves to be too much for him and you hear him cry out as he topples into the yolky mess.

You enjoy a fine breakfast with your loving mate before she insists on seeing you off to the gates.

@Fjorin:

After spending the majority of the day before your departure exploring Avalon, you and Lai make your way to the tavern where the barkeep, Calming, provides you with a room. Lai is still getting accustomed to this new form, and petitions you to watch for a whole hour while she practices picking up objects and putting them down, as well as opening and closing doors. The fact that she is so easily amused is almost laughable, but at the same time, almost sad.

When Lai’s stomach begins to protest loudly, you ask Calming where some food can be found. A request is sent and not even twenty minutes later, an enormous man, nearly as tall as yourself but twice as wide, appears at the door to your room. He introduces himself as Jonas Philosophy and proceeds to turn sideways in order to fit through the door. His arms are laden with food, more than you could ever eat. Jonas takes a few moments to lay out the spread upon the small table in the room. There is so much food that there isn’t even room to sit, so you and Lai load up your plates before sitting upon the comfortable beds the room has to offer. Jonas takes his leave, allowing you and Lai to enjoy your meal in peace.

Through the course of this meal, you manage to teach Lai how to chew and drink, though early attempts result in much splattering and stained bedsheets. She finally manages to get the hang of this whole eating thing and proceeds to share that she loves this chewy animal muscle (meat) but is not overly fond of this tiny bushy tree (broccoli.) She thinks the mushy roots (potatoes) are delicious, but is not a fan of the river swimmers (fish.) When she takes a bite of the rich, chocolate cake that Jonas has graciously prepared, her eyes go wide and she declares she does not know how she managed to ever exist without such a thing in her life. After gorging herself, Lai passes out on the floor. A small, crusty roll is still clutched in her hand, and she mutters something unintelligible in her sleep.

You, ever the gentleman, are kind enough to scoop her off the floor, place her in a bed, and pull the blankets up over her slender shoulders.

When you awake, you find that Lai has gone conspicuously missing. Worried as to where she went, you gather your belongings and move to head out the door when instead it swings open, wrapping you firmly in the elbow.

“Hi, Fjorin!” calls Lai cheerily as she makes her way through the door. “You will not believe this stuff I found. She thrusts a cup of some warm, brown steamy liquid into your hands. “It will wake you up so good! He called it choffa…. coughing… caffey… Oh! Coffee! Do they have coffee where you’re from? I like it so much! I’ve had four cups already. This is my fifth. It’s not as good as the cake, but I can feel my hair crawling on my head!”

Lai smiles widely, proud of her find and her new command of sipping. She slurps a mouthful of coffee from the cup before prancing about the room happily. You make a mental note to inform Calming he is not to provide her with anymore coffee before 5 a.m.

After packing your weapons and few belongings, you and Lai make your way to the gates to the city.

@Siron:

After speaking with Honor, Corvus spends the majority of the day showing you around the city. You get the impression he is incredibly well-liked as you can scarcely go five feet without greetings and well-wishes to the General’s son. You meet a dozen or so Ageless; some names you remember, others you don’t. You recall a kindly old woman, though just how old you can’t begin to guess. Corvus looks your age, but he’s 75. It’s hard to tell who here is truly old and who isn’t. The older woman’s name is Hestia. Corvus introduces her as the greatest healer (and chess player) in Avalon. With her is the pretty red-haired lady from the tavern. She’s a bard or minstrel of some sort. Muse! That was her name. There’s a fussy old gentleman in long gray robes who zooms by you without even offering a hello. Corvus points him out as Keeper. You vaguely remember seeing him upon your entry to Avalon. He seemed nice enough, albeit always on the move.

Eventually, you and Corvus meander over to the tavern where you enjoy a couple rounds. The small, stocky fellow you saw at the tavern yesterday, Sig, is at the bar with the perpetually ill-tempered Captain Blood. They stay and drink for awhile before Blood grumbles something about swill, grabs her companion’s shirt, and hauls him out the door.

When you’ve drank enough that your head feels as if its swimming, Corvus informs you he has some business to tend to before departing tomorrow. He takes you back to the barracks to bed down for the night. You enjoy a restful sleep, and when you awake, don your new armor and take up your new weapons. Corvus sends word for you just before dawn to meet the rest of the company at the main gates of Avalon.

@Fenwick:

Your mind aches with the pressure and all-consuming stress that has been your daily existence since becoming an Immortalis. Even after speaking with Dethys, there are still so many questions to be answered, and still so much out there you cannot comprehend. Cleo, ever empathetic, seems content to sit with you in silence as you pour over your thoughts. After a meal so delightful even you have a hard time maintaining your angst, she takes you by the hand and leads you to her bedroom. She snuggles up against you, her embrace warm and her silken blonde hair falling over her bare shoulders.

“You remember the first time we were… intimate?” Cleo giggles. “Well, you remember what I told you? When magic users are joined in such a way, there is often an exchange of power? It’s an excellent way to exchange useful spells without all the annoyance of trying to remember words, incantations, methods or techniques. Well, my Wicky-Wicky Woo. Why don’t you just lean back, relax, and let me teach you a thing or two. I know you’ve been nervous and upset, and all manner of other nasty emotions. Maybe I can give you something that will help you on your travels.”

A beautiful woman wants to sleep with you and in the process give you powerful magic? Only a fool would protest that! The next hour is one fantastically amazing blur of moving bodies and firing synapses. Your heart is racing, and for at least a few moments, your elation is so complete you forget what you were fretting about to begin with. Sanguine Fields ain’t got nothing on Fenwick Hux!

When all is said and done and the gorgeous Seer is asleep upon your outstretched arm, you realize that you suddenly feel stronger. The fear is not as daunting as it once was, and when you awake the next morning, you find that Cleo did manage to transfer a few new tricks during your coupling. (See OOC)

The Seer insists upon seeing you off, even though you will be seeing the other “her” in just a few moments, as one of her various forms is still guarding the gates.

@Sig:

When you awake, your vision is bleary and your head is throbbing. You’ve apparently been out for awhile, and you’re starting to feel the painful effects of being sober. The previous night is a blur and when your eyes begin to focus, you find yourself in an unfamiliar environment. You are laying upon an enormous four poster bed that is adorned with a blood red canopy. A glance to your left reveals your weapons, instrument, and clothes unceremoniously discarded upon the floor. Your arms and legs ache, and you realize that, once again, you are tied to a bed. The events of the previous evening slowly begin to come back to you, and you sigh as you realize you are still in Blood’s home and she likely tied you to the bed for trying to wrestle empty armor again

Then, you feel a faint breath upon your outstretched right arm. You glance to your right to see Blood completely passed out on your forearm. You tilt your head up for further inspection and realize that the good Captain is completely naked. Upon closer examination, you realize that you are, too. More pieces of the puzzle align. That’s right! You’re not strapped to the bed because you were wrestling armor, though there certainly was some degree of wrestling involved. You are feeling quite smug when you feel the uncomfortable and penetrating gaze of two gray eyes upon you. Blood is awake…. And Blood is furious. She quickly recoils from the bed and stumbles backward, awkwardly grabbing the sheets to wrap around her naked body. Her fingers shake with anger as she pulls the blanket up over her ample bosom.

“You- I can’t believe... I didn’t… You started… This is ridiculous… Why are you even still here? I am going to… it’s almost dawn! We have to go… go to a place… The fields! We need to depart to the fields! So get a move on hobgoblin! Let’s go! Stop laying about like some louse!”

Blood stomps out of the room, her heavy footsteps echoing off the wooden floors. Your mind begins to piece together more of the previous evening’s events. You and Blood drank… a lot… an inordinate amount. Yet, despite this fact, you remember a good bit of what was said. She cracked open the last bottle of her private reserves. She muttered something about this Vartan fellow and began to cry. You didn’t even know Blood was capable of tears! You attempted to comfort her and she didn’t even slug you when you tried to embrace her. Then she began cursing about Calming and his big mouth. Then she… she kissed you. Hard and deliberate right on the lips. You remember your confusion. She grabbed you roughly by the collar and cursed your name for making her feel such a way about an impish hobgoblin, a word you have come to receive as being as close to a term of endearment as you are likely to get. You remember her hand upon your thigh. You remember the two of you stumbling up the stairs into her bedroom where you and the good Captain enjoyed a very lengthy workout before both of you passed out upon the bed.

Your attention is drawn back to the current day. Moments after her departure, Blood returns with her hand over her eyes. It’s not like she hasn’t seen you naked before. After all, it was just last night. But apparently when her sobriety returned, so did both her modesty and her temper. She is fully clothed in her typical battle attire, and without even looking, her hands fumble around until they settle upon one of the ropes anchoring you to the bed. She gives it a sharp tug and the rope snaps in her hand, allowing you to free yourself from the rest of your binds. Without another word, Blood exits the room and makes her way downstairs.

You can hear her cursing and yelling for the next half hour while you locate all of your clothes and gather your belongings. The walk to the gates is made in silence, at least on Blood's part. The Captain's gaze is downcast and her pace is hurried, while you take your leisurely time strolling behind her and strumming upon your instrument. Every now and then she grumbles at you to hurry up, but your song quickly turns from an instrumental to a loud and boisterous song about a Chosen of Alviss who managed to find his way into bed with a feisty human Captain. Whenever you get to the refrain that begins "Beauteous bosom and a booty to match/ I could be a pirate with all the treasure I've had," the red-faced Captain Blood moves at a breakneck pace through the city square and leaves you to your leisurely stroll. For the rest of your journey to the gates, there isn't another mention of hurrying up.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 09:02:20 PM by Faidth »