Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)  (Read 59486 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)
« Reply #160 on: October 14, 2013, 04:09:18 PM »
Sig puts on a good show of looking incredulous as he lay strapped to Blood's bed while she yells at him. But inside, he is grinning. He begins grinning on the outside after she unties his bonds and leaves. He is grinning the entire time he spends locating his clothes. He almost makes it out the door before he feels the normal panic of sobriety set in, because he was grinning so hard that he FELT drunk. He quickly remedies the sobriety issue with a quick swig from his hidden beard flask. Thank Alviss she didn't locate THAT during her thorough search of his person last night, or the ale-filled skins he had thoughtfully set aside for their journey today! Otherwise an emergency trip to the tavern would be in order, and they would surely be late.

He is still grinning as he follows leisurely behind Blood. He is attempting to work more on his song from before, the one Alviss had sent into his head, but he keeps getting interrupted by Blood. One would think that this might annoy him, but it only makes his grin wider. He quickly composes some lyrics for the occasion, and begins to bellow them out while playing a jaunty pirate ditty he had picked up from one of the merchant dwarves.

This has the desired affect. As Blood storms off, Sig shouts after her.

"Oh, come on, lass! There's no need to be jealous! The song's about you!"

Sig, now left to his own devices, goes back to strumming the chords gifted to him by Alviss. He knows this song will be important. Every other song Alviss has ever gifted him with has ended up becoming a powerful ballad in his arsenal. He knows Alviss will reveal the use of this one in time. Until then, he must practice it so that he knows it by heart when the time comes. As he plays, he thinks back to the previous night. To the events before he was strapped to a bed. She was obviously upset about someone she had lost. Vartan. It seemed to have something to do with the place they were going. A place that unnerves even the fearless Captain that he had fallen so hard for.

Because that's what this was. No point in beating around the bush. Sig admits to himself that he is clearly enamored with this Ageless known as Captain Blood. Of all the other people he has met since coming here, no one carries themselves quite like her. And the brash, angry personality she wears to throw everyone else off... that's all it is. A cover. Beneath that, Blood is the most real, honest person he has ever met. Maybe it takes a personality that has already been tempered like steel to find that part of her. Or maybe it just takes a professional drunk. Either way, last night Sig saw that part of her, and it has only intensified his feelings for her. Despite how strong she is, she still needs help. And Sig knows that they will both help each other many times before this battle they are walking towards is through.

Sig steels his resolve. No matter what happens, the good Captain will not find him wanting. He will remain by her side as long as he stands. And the Chosen of Alviss do not fall down very often.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #161 on: October 14, 2013, 09:15:11 PM »
   You all make your way through the city of Avalon and soon find yourself at the gates, where the General and her three sons await your arrival. Fury, equal parts beauty and tenacity, stands with her arms over her chest, her expression hardened. She greets each one of you, and as Sig continues his bawdy tune, the General fights back a sneaking smirk at Blood’s expense. The red-faced Captain Blood appears fit to be tied and threatens to break Sig’s lute over his head. A bleary-eyed Bran stands beside his mother while Corvus and Dennan are having an animated debate. The animation seems to be more on the side of Corvus, as Dennan is as unreadable as ever. As you draw closer, you can plainly hear that the two appear to be in some kind of dispute. Or rather, Corvus is disputing while Dennan stands stolidly, seemingly unaffected by his brother’s passionate arguments.

“No,” comes Dennan’s rumbling voice.

Corvus shakes his head in disagreement. “It makes no sense for you to go!”

“You’ll never find her. You’re a shoddy tracker at best,” returns Dennan.

“All the more reason you should be going to the fields with the Childer and Blood,” reasons Corvus. “Somebody has to go after Serenity before she does something stupid.”

“And who will keep you from doing something stupid?” mutters Bran under his breath.

Corvus ruffles his brother’s shaggy black hair. “Very funny, twerp.”

Dennan turns to Fury. “Mother, will you please make him see how ridiculous he is being?” petitions Dennan. “With the frequency of Severan’s movements in the mortal realm, the last thing Corvus should be doing is heading out on his own.”

Fury sighs. “Personally, I think it’s a fine idea. If I had my way neither of you would be leaving for the fields. Yet, Dennan, I know you are the best tracker we have, so I must reluctantly watch as you go.” The General turns to Corvus. “And I sincerely had to bite my tongue when you agreed to go to the fields in the first place. Given your recent…” Fury hesitates. “Given what happened with Dignity, the last place you should be is somewhere a malevolent spirit can latch on to that thick head of yours.”

Corvus swallows hard, obviously fighting back emotion at the mention of his lost love’s name. “I would like to protest, but I know you are probably right.”

“If Serenity doesn’t want to be found, she won’t be,” speaks Dennan. “Furthermore, you shouldn’t be going alone.”

“She’ll listen to me. I know what she’s going through right now. She just lost her brother. When I lost dignity, I just felt… lost. They way I see it, she’s bound for one of two places. She’s either going to try to track down Cael, or she’s going somewhere that reminds her of Constancy. I’ll find her,” responds Corvus resolutely. “I’m already packed and ready to go, and I won’t be alone. Muse is going with me. And, you’re welcome, I’ve already found a replacement for the dispatch to the fields.”

Right on cue, Lurien Honor can be seen making his way down the main road that leads to the gates. The lovely Muse has her arm looped through his.
   “Look, you know what Serenity is capable of. She’ll catch wind of us really fast if I take a search party. Then she’ll just use that stupid teleport orb to go somewhere else. We know damn well she’s not coming back here,” reasons Corvus.

Dennan nods. “She might have gotten out with that orb, but no one can return to Avalon unless it’s through the gates.”

Blood frowns. “I am going to have to talk to Dethys about keeping his blasted tools locked up. First Fenwick with that locating orb, now Serenity with that teleportation orb. How many damn orbs does that fool have? He can cast any spell he wants! Why does he need so many of them? I swear he leaves them out for foolish apprentices to get their hands on. Do you recall when Cardack stole that Blasting Powder from Dethys’s sock drawer?”

Fury sighs. “We had to rebuild the city gates after that one.”

In the back of Fenwick’s mind, the mage can hear Cardack weigh in on the aforementioned events. “That was… hilarious. One of my better ideas, really. I did kind of blow up the gate, but I learned a great deal about the practical applications of blasting powder. Quite fascinating really.”

“Look, we can’t afford to wait, and neither can any of you,” reasons Corvus. “Let’s stop dawdling and be on our way.” Corvus wraps Dennan into an embrace that is promptly returned. Dennan lifts Corvus off the ground, leaving the latter’s feet dangling in the air. After several moments Dennan drops his brother who easily lands on his feet.

“Be well, brother. And for Divine’s sake, be careful. Serenity is desperate. She may be young, but she is powerful. In her desperation, she may resort to measures she would not usually take,” states Dennan.

“Pshaw. You worry too much, brother,” Corvus kisses his mother on the cheek and embraces Bran.

Muse gifts Honor with a kiss that spans a very lengthy amount of time. Blood rolls her eyes as Muse makes all manner of passionate noises as she moves her tongue in the unsuspecting Honor’s mouth. The Lieutenant, usually serious and all business, grins from ear to ear.

“Goodbye, my dear. Come back in one piece, will you? Though if you must come back in pieces, keep those soft, delightful lips intact.” Muse winks at Honor as she slings the strap of her lute over her shoulder. “Goodbye, love.”

Honor stares after her. “Fare thee well, milady. I shall count the seconds until you grace me with your presence again.”

Blood doubles over as she makes noisy gagging sounds.

Muse smirks. “Don’t pretend you’re so hard-hearted, Blood. There was a time even you were lost in love. I pray it finds you again.” As Muse passes by Sig, she gives a gentle tug to his beard.

There is an eruption of swirling purple light as a portal suddenly materializes in front of Corvus and Muse. Corvus pauses to wave to his family and Muse blows a kiss to Honor, who pretends to snatch it from the air. Corvus takes Muse’s hand in his and the two disappear through the portal, which snaps shut behind them.

Cleo wraps her arm around Fenwick’s waist before smothering his face in gentle kisses. “I will miss you so very very very very very very much, Wicky. I know you haven’t even left yet, but I already miss you. Remember, my love, if you need me… you know what to do. I’ll be there in an instant. But, I somehow doubt you will need me. You are far stronger than you give yourself credit for. You are so very very very very strong, Wicky.

“Strong?” questions Cardack. “I’ve seen him trip over air and fall headfirst into a bucket of water he failed to carry more than five feet.”

Cleo ignores Cardack. “I don’t know why you can’t see that in yourself, Wicky, but I do. You are capable of so much!”

Nearby, Archer, Besnik and Faile say their goodbyes to Sembas. Archer wraps her arms around his neck and gently kisses him once upon the lips. It is a single kiss, but affected with emotion.

“I know you can handle it, but I still wish I was going with you,” confesses Archer. “Hurry home, Sembas. There is so much awaiting you here in Avalon. Remember what I told you, my love. Be wary of the fields, and,” her voice becomes a whisper. “Trust no one. Not even those in your party. The fields will twist and corrupt, but you, my love, must be above its influence. The Marrow will test you, but in times of darkness, think on me and the love I have for you.”
Anlaf is perched upon Sembas’s shoulder. He is lighter than Faile, and the falconer’s shoulder feels almost naked without his usual companion. Faile’s expression makes evident her heartbreak and regret at not accompanying Sembas.

No words are needed between the falconer and his feathered friend, but Sembas can plainly feel the worry and fear present in Faile. “Come home…” says Faile simply, and as an afterthought. “Please…” It’s not a word you hear from her often. Falcons, by nature, are unapologetic and not the most well-mannered of creatures.

“Well, I for one am not saying goodbye to you, meatbag,” states Besnik. “Because goodbye sounds far too permanent. I know you’ll be back. You better be. These eggs won’t wait forever…” Besnik’s tone softens to one of sincerity. “And it would be a shame if you weren’t here to see them hatch.”
Honor enlists Siron in helping him to ensure all of the supplies and provisions are prepared when their efforts are interrupted by an earth shaking roar. Hurtling towards the young knight is a massive bear. He has no time to react to the charging beast and when it is merely inches away, it quickly redirects its path and lunges at Dennan.

Dennan affectionately places his hands on the bear’s head. “I am sorry, my friend. The Marrow is no place for you.”

Fensten grumbles in response.

“There’s no use arguing,” speaks Dennan. “I’ll be just fine. Besides, I need someone to keep an eye on the place while I’m gone. You see what a shoddy job those badgers did last time. Lazy buggers let the hedgehogs raid the larders.”

Fensten whines, his enormous brown eyes pleading.

Dennan kisses the bear upon the head. “Chin up, Fensten. You don’t want the ladies seeing you in such a state.” He gestures to Archer. “She’s going to think you’re a big furry, baby. Is that what you want? They’ll say, ‘that lout Fensten. A common teddy bear is tougher than him.’”

Fensten protests again to which Dennan replies, “I know, my friend, but in this case, it is far wiser for you to remain. I’ll be back soon.”

Fensten, quite literally, bear hugs his master before loping towards General Fury and sitting at her side. The General pats the bear on his large head to comfort him. Dennan crosses to his mother, hugs her firmly, and proceeds to Bran whom he swings around in circles. When the young man can bear no more, Dennan sets the dizzy lad back down. Bran stumbles about awkwardly before falling into a bush nearby.

Suddenly, it feels as if all the air around you is electrified with intense energy. There is a loud whirring sound and a bright, crimson light flashes into existence. Shifting washes of dark gray and deep black swirl within the center of this new portal.

“Looks like Cleo was able to open up a primary portal,” observes Fury. “We thought she would have to transfer you to a secondary one from her tent, but it looks like she was able to bypass it. This will send you directly to the area outside the fields. Dethys gave her the instructions to cloak the portal’s entry efficiently, but you will need to move quickly. We can’t afford to leave it open long, so get through as soon as you can,” instructs Fury.

Blood grabs Sig by the hand. “Whatever you do, don’t let go of me. Portals are unsettling enough, but the one that leads to the Sanguine Fields isn’t exactly the most stable.”

Honor grabs Blood’s free hand, then takes Siron’s in the other. One by one each member of the party joins hands until only Fjorin remains. Fjorin moves to take Lai’s free hand, but he feels a hand upon his shoulder. As he turns, he finds himself facing the Blood-Warden General. Fury reaches her right hand over her left shoulder and unsheathes an enormous blade. Its craftsmanship is exquisite, and the blade itself is the color of obsidian with strange, red swirls mixed throughout. Fjorin has never seen such a blade, but had heard tell of weaponsmiths, unparalleled in skill, to the far East.

“It’s a souvenir I brought from my homeland,” explains Fury. “Though your mortal weapon is well-made, this is far more befitting of a warrior.” Fury hands Fjorin the belt and scabbard before laying the sword across both of her palms and, almost reverently, presenting it to the heir of the Ebonmane.

“This sword is well-attuned to the earth. Should you find yourself in a tight spot, thrust it into the dirt. Your way out will be revealed. While this sword is in your possession, none may disarm you. In addition, this sword cannot be blocked by normal means. Shields crumble and parries fail. As long as you connect, you will do great damage to your target.”

“Oh… and one more thing.” Fury reaches into a bag at her feet and extracts a large fur belt adorned with black hide and set with a large red stone. There is elaborate steel metalwork surrounding the gem. “Should someone manage to strike you, there is a chance their damage will be negated, and instead, reflected back at them threefold. Good luck, Fjorin, and remember to take care with that parcel.” Fury gestures to the Fjorin’s pack where the sack containing the mysterious object is stored. “Farewell, Lai.” Fury nods to the former Carnis who smiles back at her.

Dennan is at the front of the party, leading the chain of companions towards the portal. “Whatever you do, do not let go of the person in front of you. Should we become separated within the portal, there’s no telling where you may end up.”

Anlaf digs his talons into Sembas’s shoulder to gain a firm grip.

Slowly, you all draw closer and closer to the portal.

“Alright, you heard my mother. We need to be quick about this.” Dennan signals before he breaks into a quick sprint towards the portal. Dennan is the first to disappear through, and one by one, the rest of you follow. This portal is certainly more violent than any you’ve been through before. It feels as if the portal itself is trying to tear you away from one another. Despite the difficulty of maintaining your holds, all manage to adhere to the previous directions from the General’s bestial son. You all safely emerge on the other side of the portal.

You are violently expelled to the ground and the portal snaps shut behind you. Immediately your noses are accosted by the acrid smells of death and rot. The scent is powerful enough to make your stomachs lurch considerably and Lai nearly fails to maintain her breakfast. You manage to brush yourselves off and rise to your feet, and when you do, words cannot express the waking horrors that stretch out before you.

As far as the eye can see the soil is soaked with the blood of the fallen. There is far more blood than the land can even absorb, and wherever it cannot, the deep, sanguine liquid forms considerable pools. New life cannot grow here, and the trees that remain are twisted, appalling vestiges of their once former glory. Their roots are bulbous and hideous. Their trunks are gnarled and their branches withered and leafless. Even the sky appears scarred in this place. If you look behind you, in the distance you can make out blue sky and traces of rolling hills of wheat and green pastures. Yet, ahead of you, the sky is gray and bleak, the clouds black and ominous. Occasionally, the gray sky is momentarily illuminated by streaks of violent lightning.
“That’s not natural…” mutters Blood.

Dennan grunts in agreement. “Fortuna.”

“Or her new apprentice,” offers Lai.

“Where is the last known location of the Crimson Wolves?” questions Honor.

“You’re standing on it,” replies Blood. She kneels beside a charred bit of wood and holds it up to her nose. “It’s certainly not fresh. Dennan?” She offers it to their tracker.

Dennan crushes the bit of wood in his fist and tosses it into the air. He sniffs for a moment before his attention is drawn to the right of where you are. “Someone was here about three days ago… but I am sorry, Blood. It was not Vartan. It reeks of Forsaken.”

Blood’s face pales considerably. “You don’t think…” She does not finish her sentence, afraid of what may be confirmed.

Instead, Dennan shakes his head. “No. I don’t think he or his people have been injured. If I know Vartan, then he would not have risked putting himself in the open like this. The woods would provide considerable cover.” He gestures to a large stretch of dense, blackened trees to the east. “If I had to guess, Fortuna is probably due north of us.”

“Makes sense,” agrees Blood. “The worst of all the battles was fought at the foot of Hangman’s Hill. It was named for a Forsaken, Attor Hangman. His favored weapon was a bladed noose. He took the high ground and when our alliance charged, he made quick work of many skilled warriors, picking them off as they came.”

“Let’s be quick. We can’t evade Fortuna’s gaze forever,” speaks Dennan. He leads the party in the direction of the forest, but quickly freezes in his tracks. “GET-”

Dennan does not have the opportunity to finish his sentence. The ground begins to violently shake and deep cracks form in the earth. All around you, long skeletal fingers emerge from the cracks as two dozen skeletons rise from the depths of the Sanguine Fields. They haul their blood-stained bones from the confines of the earth. Their flesh has long since rotted away, and their eye sockets are vacant and hollow, yet they maintain a grip on their weapons, tools of destruction that could not even be rent from them in death. One lets out an earsplitting cry, and its fellows charge towards you, their swords, maces, and axes raised, ready to sacrifice more blood to the fields.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #162 on: October 15, 2013, 04:11:33 PM »
Lai's antics made it difficult to believe that Fjorin would soon be in the Sanguine Fields.  How strange indeed, that a being with such capability to destroy, weave illusions and control minds seemed to glow as it scarfed down meat and potatoes for the first time, and seemed to battle against ordinary obstacles such as stairs.  All things considered, however, Lai was a quick learner for having only been born into a physical form.  He thanks the Ageless for their generosity in his own subtle ways.  Though he had forgotten to pack his new weaponry in all the festivity and chaos that Lai and the Ageless created, he regretted not a moment.

As they stood, readied for the Sanguine Fields at last, Fjorin did little but gaze forward.  While others may say he was mentally preparing himself, it was not so, for no man needs to prepare themselves for where they feel most at home.  For the Ebonmane prince, he was returning to a place where he was comfortable: in the midst of war.

Before he could move forward into the portal with his newborn Ageless friend, however, he was stopped.

General Fury presented a weapon the likes of which Fjorin had never laid eyes on.  To say it was a masterwork would be an insult to its craftsmanship.  Though Fjorin had already been trusted with so much by the highest ranks of Avalon, it was still difficult to believe that General Fury would simply hand over such a blade.  He took it, wrapped his hands about it firmly, and though he could not describe the feeling, his hands had never resonated so with a weapon.

As if it was not enough, the Blood-Warden General had yet one more gift for him.  Overwhelmed, honored, grateful, and humbled, no words escaped him.

With an intense and determined look in his eye, he nodded to General Fury as if to invoke their words from before: "My actions will resound as thunder."

After a disorienting trip through the portal, Fjorin picks himself and Lai back up to their feet.  As she wretches from the sight of the nearby landscape, he looks out into the vast wastes.  Perhaps he was not quite as at home here as he originally thought.  The tales of the Sanguine Fields, no matter how gruesome, could do its macabre nature little justice.  He calmly readied his blade, and paced about at the ready as he listened in on the conversation...

"GET-"

Dennan's senses were keen indeed.  The ground ruptured, and the clanking of bones were following by a horrific screech.

Like a starved beast upon its prey, Fjorin wasted no time.  The dirt beneath his feet shifted as his boots left the ground, his black mane flowing behind him, unable to keep up with his charge.  His eyes were alight with a fervor the group had yet to see of the last of the Ebonmane.  Approaching the nearest group of skeletons to the party, the barbarian pivoted his foot across the earth and grounded himself, then brought his blade forward in an arcing motion that seemed to blur his weapon.  One could hear the winds give way as the gift of the Blood-Warden General sliced through the air, intent on shattering the vulnerable spines of the fallen warriors and cleaving them in twain. (STRENGTH - DAMAGE)
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 10:20:48 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #163 on: October 15, 2013, 04:31:36 PM »
Siron spends the rest of the day with Corvus. In the evening he goes to bed with the pleasant after taste of Calming’s ale on his lips.

The morning, after receiving the message from the general’s son, is mostly uneventful, with the exception of two things. The pleasant surprise that Honor and Dennan would be joining them and the even more pleasant surprise that he doesn’t not need a new pair of armor, after being “attacked” by a monster in a bear’s form.

The portal spits the group out and Siron lands on his knees and palms. He quickly gets up and begins to draw a deep breath. This action is quickly interrupted by a sudden twitch in his left eye and check, which descends and affects his torso and arms, as the knight utters a short sequence of illegible sounds.

“No wonder the general didn’t want to send us here, this place stinks!” Siron points his finger at Lai who is about to show everyone what she had for breakfast. “Ok, she knows what I am talking about!” It takes the young man a few seconds, but after looking around it becomes clear to him that the smell is not the worst thing about the Sanguine Fields.

“That’s not natural…” … “GET-”

Siron’s initial astonishment at seeing the walking dead, is quickly overtaken by the ear piercing realization that one of them can shout.

(STRENGTH: ATHLETICS) A little angry and very excited, Siron dashes towards the closest charging skeleton. His shield on his left and mace in his right, both resting in his tight grip, as he races towards his enemy. “Don’t you yell at me!” Shouts Siron as he places his right leg securely on the ground a meter away from the oncoming skeleton. He lets his momentum swing the left side of his body and as soon as his side is lined up with his advisory, plants his left leg with a crouch. Using both, his legs and his inertia, he launches his shield and shoulder in a diagonal shield bash directed upwards, meant to intercept his foe and send the light looking mass of bones, flying towards the shouting skeleton.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #164 on: October 15, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
"With Anlaf's help I am sure we will return."  Sembas replies to Faile.  He continues wearing his hardened facade, but in reality he was scared.  Even Faile is requesting him to come back safely, as if pleading with the Divine itself.

"I hope I am back in time to see you and Faile's eggs hatch, Besnik.  If I do not, I know you will watch over them.  Please keep both of my girls safe while I am gone."  He  says, punctuated with a wink.

"I will be on my guard, and I will stay true to my heart, Gladia."  He steals another long embrace before parting.

More goodbye's are said until everyone gathers and grasps hands before the portal.  Anlaf digs into the hard leather on his shoulder.  Sembas can feel the pressure through the thick material.

"I haven't had the chance to thank you personally yet, Anlaf.  The favor you are paying Faile and I is simply immense.  I am honored you chose to accompany me, and I am in your debt."

He notices a rustling in his breast pocket.  Little paws clutch at the leather inside.  Sembas pops open the pocket and finds Chico settled in for the trip.

"Close that!"  The little mouse shouts.  "Don't let me fall out in this... portal... thing."  Chico grabs the pocket flap, and with surprising strength yanks it out of his fingers and does up the button.

A muffled, "Here we go!" Comes from inside.  Sembas quickly grabs the person's hand in front of him, and the line of immortals and Alvis sprints through the portal.  It pulls and churns, threatening to separate them, but they all manage to make it through.

The portal snaps shut, leaving them with the macabre scene before them.  Pools of spent blood dot the crimson landscape.  The smell of death and rot stings his nose.  The dread he was feeling earlier sends pangs through his gut.

"Be on your guard."  He whispers to Anlaf.  The falcon shifts his weight on his shoulder, prying his talons out of the divots from his tight grasp in the portal.  Sembas's pocket pops open as Chico sticks his head out.  A tiny gasp escapes the mouse's mouth.  "You too Chico."

Sembas watches Dennan as he investigates the area.  He notices a few things mentioned in the book that Archer gifted him.  Dennan makes a far quicker assessment of the area and leads everyone towards the forest.

An earthquake?

The ground shakes and cracks, but instead of falling away into nothing, things emerge from below.  Blood stained skeletons haul themselves up from the cracks.  They clutch weapons in their bony hands as they shamble toward the group.  His leather gloves audibly flex as he clenches his fists in surprise.  He has never seen the bones of the fallen rising from the ground.  There is no time to process the fear surging through his body, as one of the skeletons lets out an earsplitting cry and they charge.

Anlaf launches off his shoulder and rapidly takes to the air.  Sembas unhooks his spear with a flourish and begins chanting a spell.  The diamond specks in the blue steel catch the lightning crackling in the distance as his weapon spins.  He continues flourishing his spear around him as he rushes to meet the charging skeletons.  He hopes to draw attention to himself and away from Anlaf as he flies above.

As the Falconer advances, he finishes chanting the Grow Falcon spell with Anlaf as its target.  His new falcon companion immediately grows in size by a large amount.  Anlaf is far overhead by now and has leveled out his ascent.

The bond he shares with Faile is so strong that they almost always know what the other is thinking.  In battle this is invaluable, as they can work together without words or signals.  Sembas is finding it much more difficult to communicate with Anlaf in the same manner.  The Falconer can feel a link between them, but it is fresh and weak.  It will take some time before they can convey more than simple thoughts through it.

Realizing this, Sembas points his spear at one of the advancing skeletons, and with his free hand gestures in a striking movement at the ground.  Through the fresh link with Anlaf he tries to shout, "DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!"  He is unsure if Anlaf will receive the message.

He regrips his spear and prepares to block the oncoming attack if Anlaf misunderstands his signal.

Skeletons are best combated by large, blunt objects used to smash them to bits.  Sembas's weapons pierce and slash, and he doesn't have time to use his Stonefall spell to harden his fists.  Instead, he decides to have Anlaf be his wrecking ball.  The now very large falcon will tuck in his wings and dive down with huge outstretched talons.  His target is the skeleton that Sembas has pointed to with his spear.  If Anlaf hits his mark, he should be diving fast enough and with enough force to crush the skeleton beneath him.  If the skeleton has enough sense to try and dodge, Anlaf should hopefully at least crush a few limbs.

As Anlaf is a sensible falcon, after landing and crushing whatever he can with talons and beak he will quickly take to the sky again.  This will prevent him from being stuck vulnerable on the ground.  Sembas will do whatever he can to provide him with a safe takeoff.

All the while, Chico is hanging on for dear life and screaming mousey battle cries at the advancing skeletons.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, 05:29:57 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #165 on: October 16, 2013, 06:55:57 AM »
Sigurd lets out a roar as skeletons charge his position. He shifts one foot backwards, digging a rut into the ground as he sets his stance. He will not be moved from this position. (Constitution- Fortitude of the All-Father) He makes a mental note of Blood's location as well as the position of his other allies as he draws his weapons: axe in the right hand, lute in the left. He flips his axe around so that the blunt end is out. No point in wasting a perfectly honed edge on enemies who have no flesh to speak of.

Sig knows his true benefit to the party comes from his music. But he won't be able to play if he's getting swarmed by angry undead. The first and most important order of business when setting up for a concert (other than drinking) is always clearing the rabble off the stage.

Sig swings both his weapons at the oncoming skeletons, hoping to land attacks before they have a chance to attack him. (Strength- Damage [One-handed Axe/Shield (Lute)])

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2013, 06:48:13 PM »
   Siron, ever eager and exceedingly quick on his feet, dashes forward to initiate the fray. The force of Siron’s shield and shoulder send a charging skeleton flying. It careens helplessly through the air and slams into the skull of the screaming skeleton. The skeleton leader is knocked off balance, but quickly regains its composure as its once ally becomes a lifeless pile of bones at his feet. The skeleton leader launches itself forward with surprising speed. It closes the distance between itself and Siron. Its battleaxe moves with such quickness that it is practically a blur as it aims to behead the young knight before it.

Fjorin falls upon the closest group of skeletons and bits of broken bone rain upon the ground in the wake of his mighty blow. Normally, blunt weapons would be the primary choice in dealing with such enemies. However, Fjorin’s raw power and damage give any weapon the force of a battering ram. Two skeletons are instantly shattered, jagged shards littered upon the dirt the only indication they were ever there. A third skeleton raises its mace high above its head and aims a well-placed strike for Fjorin’s chest.

Meanwhile, Anlaf is a bit slow in discerning Sembas’s commands. However, once he comprehends what Sembas wants him to do, he quickly obeys his new master’s request. The skeleton is far too absorbed in attempting to take off Sembas’s head with his sword to pay any attention to the dangerous threat above. Anlaf descends upon the skeleton with the force of a boulder and instantly obliterates creature. Anlaf quickly changes course and shoots up into the air to await further directions from Sembas. Sembas has drawn the attention of a small group of three skeletons. They charge directly at him with their weapons raised. One of the skeletons raises a battleaxe over his head and lunges forward with the intent of cleaving Sembas in two. The second swings a heavy mace that is trained on Sembas’s knees. The third slices forward with a rusty blade aimed towards Sembas’s chest.

Sig strikes out with his axe and lute. His axe imbeds in the skull of one of the oncoming skeletons. The creature, now without its head, stumbles about wildly. Its skull is now firmly stuck on the head of Sig’s axe. The force behind Sig’s lute is enough to smash a skeleton in the chest. Its ribs and spine are instantly shattered to bits and the creature falls backward into a heap.  Two of its companions aim to make short work of the Chosen of Alviss. Both equipped with broadswords, one charges to Sig’s right, and the other to his left, aiming to skewer him where he stands.

The ground shakes again and twelve more skeleton soldiers erupt from the ground. Dennan’s right hand grasps the handle of the enormous greataxe upon his back. He takes up his weapon and swings it toward an oncoming group of 4 skeletons. The force of the blow instantly obliterates the creatures. However, suddenly, several skeleton hands reach up from the depths of the earth, grabbing for Dennan’s leather boots. Dennan pulls one of his legs free and uses the other to stomp upon the hands that attempt to ensnare him.

Six skeletons make their way towards the ferocious Captain Blood. Blood stamps her foot upon the ground, letting out an immense Battlecry. Four of them are knocked several yards backwards, and the two that remain swing at the Captain with their axes. Honor uses this opportunity to rush forward. He slams his shield into the bony back of one of Blood’s attackers, causing the creature to be reduced to little more than bonedust. Blood knows her broadsword will do little here, so she does not even bother to unsheathe it. Instead, she draws back her fist and sends it through the oncoming skeleton's skull. Her fingers emerge out the other side and she rends it from the creature's body. With a well-placed kick from her boot, the rest of its body is left in a pile of bony rubble.

Lai finds herself in the middle of a group of four skeletons. She has no weapon, and certainly no training in wielding one. Startled and frightened, she lets out a shrill, earsplitting scream. Her cries have no effect on her allies, but all the skeletons around hear begin to shake violently, unable to continue their movements toward her. The pitch of her voice increases and her would-be assailants explode in a display of bone shards and fine white powder.

Fenwick is startled by the sudden appearance of these creatures and finds two of the skeleton warriors bearing down upon him. He quickly mutters one of his spells, Protective Barrier, under his breath as he fumbles for his sling and something to load it with. The skeletons strike at him with their axes, but found themselves unable to damage Fenwick due to the barrier.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:53:15 PM by Faidth »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #167 on: October 19, 2013, 04:03:31 AM »
Siron watches the quickly approaching skeleton and takes a defensive stance with his shield up front. The battle axe the skeleton wields is too fast for the young knight to follow so blocking becomes quite dangerous, so instead he chooses a more direct approach. (DEXTERITY: DODGE) Attempting both, to evade the attack and to gain an advantageous position, the knight dives forward and down to the right side. Tilting his body during the dive, he should fall on his back and using the gathered speed, make a quick roll on the ground, ending up a few meters behind the skeleton.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #168 on: October 22, 2013, 09:53:14 AM »
Three skeletons approach, all very intent on paying him back for the destruction of their broken friend.  It seems that his distraction for Anlaf was a little too effective.

Sembas crouches and springs backwards, while leaning out of the path of the skeletons rapidly falling weapons (Dexterity - Dodge).  As he leaps away he swings the length of his spear in a large arc.  Typically such an action would be clumsy and flailing, but he relies on his unnatural Athletics gained from growing up bonded with Faile.  This makes what would have been a light swing in self defense into a mighty swipe of his weapon.

The Falconer screams through the bond once more, "AGAIN! AGAIN!"  He hopes Anlaf has caught on to the strategy by now.  Whatever the result is of his wild spear swing, the skeletons should have their backs exposed - prime for a surprise strike from behind.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #169 on: October 22, 2013, 03:49:37 PM »
(Strength - Athleticism) Fjorin pushed off the ground with his legs and slammed his massive frame against the skeleton's.  Maces required full, precise swings in order to land deadly blows, and such a maneuver would break any sense of balance the skeleton might have had.  Should the skeleton be knocked back a significant distance, Fjorin would smash it to bits as he did the others, and immediately tend to his party members.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #170 on: October 23, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
Sig sees himself being the meat in a skeleton sandwich and is having none of it. He takes a step back, putting both skeletons in front of him. With a quick swing, he hurls his axe towards the skeleton on the left. (Strength - Damage) He quickly places both hands on his lute and strums a sweet note with a flourish, unleashing a powerful force into the skeleton on the right. (Wisdom - Spiritual Magic [Striking Ballad]) This should keep the skeleton on the right at bay long enough to get his axe back from the hopefully downed skeleton on the left.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #171 on: October 23, 2013, 05:33:06 PM »
   Siron’s dexterity allows him to deftly roll out of the way of the skeleton leader’s attack, and he finds himself now behind the creature. The skeleton leader reacts quickly, and lunges forward. The creature lets out another earsplitting cry and more of his foes erupt from the ground. The newly arrived forces, six in total, charge towards Siron and attempt to aid their leader.

Dennan, anticipating the young knight may be overwhelmed, rushes to aid Siron. He lowers his shoulder and thunders toward the his unsuspecting targets, who are firmly focused on the young man. Dennan’s massive form connects with three of the creatures, decimating them instantly, and leaving only three new arrivals and the skeleton leader in the vicinity.

Sembas lashes out with a mighty swing of his spear. His movements are exceedingly deft and his natural athletics give him great force behind the blow. He manages to sunder one in half, shattering the creature at the knees and causing the top of its body to be severed from the bottom. Anlaf reacts far more quickly this time. He lets out a screech and hurtles towards the remaining to skeletons, whose backs are exposed. The attack connects and both creatures are reduced to a pile of dust.

Fjorin’s athleticism prove too effective for the skeleton’s unwieldy mace. Its balance now off kilter, the creature stumbles backwards. The Ebonmane warrior makes quick work of him before being surrounded by three more creatures. Two of them are armed with swords, but the third is quite irregular. It has no weapon in hand, and lunges at Fjorin with its gaping, mouth, intent on sinking its teeth into the flesh upon the warrior’s face.

There is an eruption of light behind the skeletons that attempt to attack Fjorin. One of the creatures wielding a sword is instantly vaporized by a well-placed strike of elemental force by Lai.

Sig’s Striking Ballad launches the skeleton on the right off of his feet where he lands in a heap upon the ground. Still capable of inflicting damage, the skeleton scrambles for his weapon to attempt to strike Sig in the knees. The skeleton on the left is less fortunate. Sig cleaves the creature in two, and the thoughtless pile of bones crumbles to the ground, no longer a threat to the Chosen of Alviss.

Blood and Honor are a flurry of furious movement as the two warriors battle against these undead abominations. Blood’s fist careens into skull after skull, leaving a path of destruction in her wake, while Honor slams his shield into the unprotected, bony torsos of his assailants.

Fenwick continues to fumble with his sling. Now finding himself surrounded by four of these creatures, he maintains his Protective Barrier to buy himself more time.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #172 on: October 23, 2013, 06:36:03 PM »
The skeleton that lunges for Fjorin is even more of a surprise to the Ebonmane than the other skeletons shambling out of the ground, but a welcome challenge of his fortitude.  His instincts call out to him:  should he allow himself to become entangled in a melee with this creature, it will create an opening for the others.  It must be dealt with swiftly.  As the aberrant skeleton lunges toward the warrior fearlessy, Fjorin releases the tight grip he has upon his weapon, and postures himself.  It closes in, and Fjorin rears his head backward...

(STRENGTH - DAMAGE)

Fjorin's forhead slams into the skull of his foe - the sheer weight of the Ebonmane warrior's strike proving to be quite a powerful counterattack.  Blood drips down his face at the point of impact as he soaks the damage, ignoring the pain, and executes follow-through.  Should it ground his assailant as anticipated, he would stomp in the spine of what remained, and sever the next two from whatever bonds tied them to this world of the living with the gift of the Blood-Warden General.

During the chaos, he began to wonder if the undead would continue to rise.  In a place where the dirt itself was stained with blood as far as the eye could see, the bodies would be innumerable.  Was the catalyst of such sorcery the screaming skeleton from before, or was there another cause?

No matter, they would surely find out soon enough.  For now, he focused on the task before him.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2013, 11:37:45 AM »
   Siron’s excitement has reached a new level. His heart is beating like a drum and pumping adrenalin all over his body, his short, deep breaths make him feel lightheaded, his imagination running wild as images from stories about knights, flicker rapidly in his mind. This is it! This is the real deal, he is finally doing it! Having an adventure, becoming a knight, this is his dream and his moment. The young knight felt invincible at this moment. Under the helmet his smile was wider than his face.

The skeleton leader makes a large movement to lunge at the knight, in reaction to his previous dodge. This was exactly what Siron wanted, an easy to read move he could aim for without difficulty.  Unfortunately, another shriek announces the appearance of six more skeletons, which immediately join the fray. Fortunately for the knight, Dennan assists and removes three of the assailants. Now he gives the screaming skeleton his undivided attention. Aiming at the oncoming weapon, he launches from his position (ATHLETICS: STRENGTH) and attempts to meet it head on with his shield. If strong enough, he should be able to block and push away the weapon leaving the skeleton open for a follow up. A swift mace strike, promptly delivered to the cranium area. Should Dennan be kind enough to prevent an interruption, from the three remaining skeletons, the union of mace and skull shall be glorious! Otherwise Siron will attempt to block the oncoming skeletons as well, if at all possible after the initial block.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2013, 10:24:07 AM »
Sembas finds himself unoccupied in the midst of the battle.  His golden eyes quickly scan for anyone needing assistance.  They fall on a Protective Barrier being hammered on by four skeletons.

What is Fenwick doing?

The falconer stabs his spear into the ground beside him and unslings his bow.  He knocks an arrow and draws back.  While he does this he channels his Harris Arrow.  The essence of a cast of hawks fills the knocked arrow.  He aims between two of the skeletons and lets the arrow fly.

It streaks towards its target in a blur.  Once it is almost to the skeletons it bursts into a mass or ghostly hawks.  The cast splits, each half attacking a skeleton on either side.  Razor sharp talons and strong beaks slam into the two skeletons.  The attack should be enough to at least dismantle a good amount of bones from the skeletons bodies.  If he is lucky, they could pry and break away enough of them to incapacitate the bony warriors.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2013, 04:02:41 PM »
Sig sees the remaining skeleton crawling towards it's weapon. Thinking quickly, he swings the chain attaching himself to his axe around his forearm once for leverage. He then gives a mighty tug. As the axe comes spinning back towards him, he puts two hands on the neck of his lute and winds up. Sig takes a two-handed swing just as his axe arrives. There is a crunch and the sound of metal on metal as sparks fly and the axe is sent directly at the crawling skeleton. (Strength - Damage [Improvised Fighting]) With luck, it will hit before the skeleton has time to stand back up.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #176 on: October 30, 2013, 02:33:36 PM »
   Blood drips down Fjorin’s forehead from the mighty impact of his skull against that of the skeleton. The Ebonmane warrior is unfazed and is little worse for wear. The skull of his adversary, however, is left as little more than busted shards. What is left of the skeleton lands in a pile at Fjorin’s feet, and the warrior stomps on its spine for good measure. Fjorin continues to obliterate all of the enemies in his path, successfully striking out with his sword, and cleaving two more advancing skeletons in half.

Sembas takes note of Fenwick’s precarious position. He sees the mage within, Fenwick’s brow beaded with sweat and the fear apparent upon his face. That barrier couldn’t hold for much longer. The falconer mounts an offense to assist his companion. His Harris Arrow flies straight and true, and shortly before impact, erupts in a flutter of wings and a loud screeching sound as phantasmal falcons are unleashed as a mighty weapon. These creatures manage to completely debilitate two of the skeletons by smashing their beaks against the skeletons’ brittle bones. Fenwick maintains his barrier, striving to resist the attacks of the remaining two skeletons.

Sig keys on the skeleton that futilely attempts to crawl towards its weapon. However, its course is interrupted by the axe of the Chosen of Alviss. Sig’s axe impacts the skeleton with such force that the creature’s bones are shattered.

Siron blasts forward with his shield, perfectly striking the skeleton leader’s weapon. The creature’s balance is thrown off considerably, allowing the young knight to follow up with a well-placed strike to the creature’s head. This skeleton seems to be considerably hardier than the others, and while noticeably damaged, fights to regain his grip on his weapon. The other three skeletons continue their advance towards Siron, but Dennan slams his greataxe into the ground, causing a small shockwave to ripple through the immediate area and knock the three attackers to the ground.

The eyeless sockets of the skeleton leader are trained on Siron as the creature once again lifts its weapon and charges forward. A loud, rasping sound emanates from the skeleton’s gaping hole of a mouth. “A MARACET VIA SEVERA! DIA LE DIA LE LEPA DE FORTUNA!”

Blood freezes in her track, her path of destruction coming to an abrupt halt. “What?” She whirls around, ignoring the advances of the other skeletons and charges in front of Siron to intercept the skeleton leader. As the skeleton leader brings his weapon crashing down towards Siron’s head, Blood raises her forearm to block the blow. There is a sharp scraping sound of metal against metal, followed by the flash of sparks that erupt from the impact.

Blood shakes her head towards the skeleton leader. “Nea na! Nea! Osiris de Arala! If frienden! Adia de Aegea! Es frienden!”

The skeleton leader shrieks loudly, and all of his companions suddenly stop in their tracks. It turns its eyeless sockets towards Blood. “Trea? Es Adia de Blut? De Aegea?”

Blood nods her head firmly and places her right hand over her heart. “Yeha. Es mia. Osiris de Arala.” Blood kneels before the skeleton, then places her right hand upon the ground. “Quara el, Osiris. Fea ne para ses?”

“What is going on?” demands Lai, her foot firmly pressed upon the skull of a squirming skeleton.

Dennan grunts. “It’s the Old Speech. My dad taught me a bit of it. Old dialect of mortal language. Hasn’t been spoken for a couple hundred years. If what I’m hearing is right, then the creature Blood kneels before is Osiris of Arala, one of the greatest mortal warriors to have ever lived. He was slain in the battle of the Sanguine Fields. He and his company were obliterated by Forsaken. Their blood stained the fields, but we never found their bodies to perform their final rights.”

The skeleton gives a wave of his hand, signaling his men to stand down. He extends his bony hand to Blood, who takes it in her own, and rises to her feet. “Mas ara. Et beyala Forsak. Severa y Fortuna. Shialis fielda.” He gestures to himself and his men. “Perao. Stepa es ria balta.”

Blood turns to the rest of you. “He says this was a burial mound. He and his men slept for a long time, but the earth began to move and he awoke. He came to the surface alone and he saw Fortuna with a few of her companions. He feared Fortuna was up to no good, so they staged this trap. When we arrived, they thought we were Forsaken, as the Ageless have not ventured here since the old days. He apologizes heartily for attacking us.” Blood rises to her feet.

The skeleton leader, Osiris nods. “Para stepa. Nia me liala. Sheya seraka.”

Blood nods in understanding. “Their spirits are bound to this tainted earth.” She turns back to the skeleton leader. “Paira staya terra nia. Me cleara laya terra.”

Whatever Blood has said, Osiris nods his head vigorously.

“Para es meara stama alarum. Estapa Forsak. Lea rama.” The skeleton leader points in the direction of the unnatural lightning. “Nea Fortuna maya daya. Bera ebon ara mena. Doza mira mena. Lar hara fira nar.”

Blood reaches to her belt and detaches a large, white, animal horn, which she then offers to the skeleton. Osiris bows slightly, graciously accepting it.

Blood looks back to the party again. “I told him of our intentions to cleanse the fields. He agrees it may allow them to rest. If Fortuna was here once, there is a good chance she will be here again. He says that he still has many forces below. He and his men will resume their trap, and if they encounter the Forsaken, they will sound an alarm and buy us some time. He does not think Fortuna has been here for a few days, but he says he lost a dozen men in a skirmish with a large Forsaken with long black hair. The man summoned a black horse from nowhere and charged off into the fields.”

“Have they seen or heard Vartan?” asks Dennan.

Blood puts her hand on Osiris’s bony shoulder. “Crea pakata nome Varta? Es lupo reda. Seva compa.”

Osiris shakes his head and Blood relates the message to the rest of you. “No. Apparently Vartan is even lighter on his feet than I gave him credit for. Osiris says he hasn’t seen or heard a trace of them.”

Blood gives a slight bow and the skeleton claps her on the back. Osiris raises his hand and there is a slight trembling of the earth. Large cracks open in the ground and one by one, the skeletons file back into the confines of their earthen tomb. Osiris waves his hand to Blood who returns the gesture. Dirt swirls in wide patterns around your feet and you notice that the shattered bones of the defeated skeletons become covered with dirt and reburied in the land.

Blood puts her hands on her hips. “I don’t know if it’s brave or foolish. Osiris knows he could never kill the Forsaken outright. Yet, he seemed to think that if he could capture them and pull them beneath the earth, they could be incapacitated.” She shrugs. “I guess it’s possible.”

“We’ve no time to waste.” Dennan gestures for the rest of you to follow him into the woods. You all find your way to the dark, unnerving trees of the Sanguine Fields, and the General’s son moves to lead you over the treacherous terrain. You walk single file towards the opening in the trees, but suddenly there is a whoosh of air so violent it knocks you off your feet. You all land hard in the dust and quickly collect yourself.

“What was that?” ponders Lai aloud.

“I don’t know if I want to stick around to find out,” mutters Blood.

Yet as you all find your way to your feet, you notice something amiss. Fenwick. Where once he had stood just slightly behind Sembas, there is little more than two footprints in the dirt to indicate where he had been.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Fenwick stirs slightly, his eyes bleary as he tries to focus on where he is. His head pounds so terribly it makes his stomach lurch. He finds he is lying face down on a cot in a dimly lit room. He strains to pull himself to his elbows in the hopes of sitting up and getting a better look at his surroundings. His entire body aches, and as much as he wills his muscles to move, he can’t. He feels a sharp pain between his shoulders, and is quickly rendered unconscious again.

“That will keep him out for awhile.” She is the picture of beauty with pale skin and deep red hair. Her green eyes glint in the dim light of the room like two luminescent rubies. Blood drips down one of her fingernails, leaving a trail of crimson trickling down her slender fingers. Fenwick’s blood.  “He’s stronger than I thought.”

“You’ll have to show me how to do that,” breathes her companion.

The red-haired woman smirks. “You are far too easily impressed, Ravana.” Her eyes drifts back to the unconscious young man upon the cot. “Much stronger than I thought. The first dose should have knocked him out for hours. I am hesitant to use any more than this.” She holds out a vial towards her companion. It is the same poison she coated her nail with. She preferred daggers for delivering poisons, but if she harmed the boy, Severan would be furious.

“Nightshade?” questions Ravana. “That is truly potent, mistress! One dose would be enough to kill a mortal, or incapacitate an Ageless. Yet, this is his second!”

There are footsteps approaching in the hallway. After hundreds of years in his company, she has come to know his gait. He is so light on his feet, yet there is that slight drag to his left leg, a wound from the General that never quite healed.

The red-haired woman quickly rises to her feet. “My Lord.” She greets him as he enters the room.

His complexion is pale and his long, black hair falls upon his shoulders in deep, black waves. His eyes, the color of a stormy sky sparkle with excitement, yet bags are easily seen under his eyes. He’d been up all night again. She had heard him cry out in his sleep last night… crying out the name of Oran Raven. Even in slumber, tears streamed down his face, confessing the shame of his past deeds. Yet, in his waking hours, when his heart was not heavy with the pain of his trespasses, he committed himself to the undoing of his former Ageless brethren.

“Fortuna!” His eyes dart from her to the sleeping young man on the cot. “Is it truly him?”

The red-haired woman, Fortuna, nods. “Yes, my lord. The trap worked. When the Ageless arrived, they inadvertently set off the grave mounds. This was to our benefit. While the others were battling, the Carnis was able to spirit Fenwick away, directly into our outstretched arms. I knew the idea of seeing Hux would be too great an allure. What son wouldn’t want to see his father?”

Severan scowls as he kneels beside Fenwick’s sleeping form. “Indeed. Even a false father.” He stares at Fenwick in silence for several moments, taking in every bit of his features as he rests. Severan reaches down and gently pushes the hair from Fenwick’s forehead. Slowly, he leans forward, not wanting to awake the newly arrived Ageless. “Welcome home, my son.”

The Lord of the Forsaken gingerly places a kiss upon Fenwick’s brow. He reaches down to the foot of the cot and grasps the coarse blankets in his hands. He pulls them up over Fenwick’s shoulders. “This is no place for my child. He is our guest; not our prisoner. Prepare a room for him near my quarters, but take care to keep the room locked and guarded at all times. Who knows what nonsense the Ageless have filled his head with. He may rail against us, but once he learns the truth, I am confident he will see reason.”

Both Fortuna and Ravana bow their heads and respond in unison. “Yes, my lord.”

Severan Deceit makes his way towards the door of the room. “And Fortuna, after you have seen to him, take Ravana and Coward. Meet with the Executioner at the fields. We cannot let the Ageless interfere with our efforts.”
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 02:40:30 PM by Faidth »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #177 on: November 02, 2013, 08:53:18 AM »
   Siron successfully pushes away the oncoming weapon and the skeleton leader is left open for a follow up. Thanks to Dennan’s interception of the rest of the charging skeletons, the young knight slams his mace in the skull of the bony leader. Much to his surprise, the undead endures, regains his stance and lunges at young ageless again.

“A MARACET VIA SEVERA! DIA LE DIA LE LEPA DE FORTUNA!”

Siron gets firm grip of his mace and prepares to clash with the skeleton leader once more, determined to defeat the opponent before him. As he is about to leap into action, a cold chill goes down his spine and he stops in his track. An instant later blood’s arm flashes in front of him and his face is showered with sparks.

The confused knight takes a few steps back and stares at the talking skeleton. After bloods explanation, he loosens up and takes a few deep breaths to calm down, before following Dennan into the woods. A sudden burst of air catches everyone off guard and knocks them over. Siron reaches for his shield and mace, as he quickly gets on his feet.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #178 on: November 02, 2013, 03:31:57 PM »
Blood starts talking with the skeleton leader in a language unfamiliar to Sembas.  Dennan explains what is happening, and Blood elaborates on their conversation once she has an understanding of who the skeletons actually are.

So even the residents of the Sanguine fields have a hatred for the Forsaken.  During the conversation Anlaf returns to his normal size and flaps down to Sembas's waiting arm.

The earth opens and the skeletons crawl back into their resting place.  The Falconer feels a tinge of guilt for dispatching the ancient warriors.  He hopes they did not put too much of a damper in their numbers.  They could be a useful ally for battles to come.

As he follows Dennan into the woods Sembas talks with Anlaf, trying to convey his words through their growing bond along with his speech.

"You did very well, Anlaf.  I can tell our bond isn't as strong as Faile and I's, and that's to be expected.  But on the same line, thank you for accepting me as much as you are in such a short time."

A whoosh of air knocks Sembas off of his feet.  Anlaf nearly punctures his leather gauntlet as he clamps down to hold on.

"What in the blazes was that?!"  Chico squeaks, his head poking out of Sembas's pocket.

"I'm not sure."  Sembas replies as he lays on his back.

He pulls himself to his feet and flips his hood back over his head.  As he is shaking the dirt off of his cloak he feels like something is missing.

Where is Fenwick?

"Fenwick!  He was right behind me!"  He spins, looking in all directions.  Fenwick was struggling during the battle with the skeletons, and now he has completely disappeared.

"The wind must have taken him.  Is this the work of the Forsaken, or some other fiend from the Fields?"

He uses all of his knowledge of tracking, even attempting to use his Request to the Dirt spell, but there is no trace of him.  Two glowing footprints are all that remain.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:39:07 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #179 on: November 04, 2013, 08:47:31 PM »
Despite the unfortunate events, Fjorin could not help but feel a sense of elation; he had tested his new blade, and it was by far greater than any he had ever wielded, or hoped to wield.  He pulled himself off the ground, and wiped the blood from his forehead with his gauntlet.  He quickly summed up the encounter with the skeletons as a lesson well learned.  He glanced over to Lai - it seemed she had fared better than Fjorin - and then his gaze moved on to the others.  Fenwick aside, everyone seemed to be in one piece.  With a brief bow to the fallen warriors as they sunk back into the earth, he addressed the party.

The first thing he notices is the one called Sembas having difficulty tracking the mage's presence.  "If we cannot track him, we will need information.  I doubt such a display was simply for killing him off." He slung the flat of his sword over his shoulder, and turned to Dennan and Blood.  "I suggest we continue the mission as intended."  Fjorin's words were as cold as Northerner steel.  While it was true he had no true attachment to Fenwick, one had to wonder if it was simply that he was anything more than a tool of war.  Suddenly, a small spark of warmth... "Perhaps when we speak with those who dwell here, we shall find our opportunity to extract the mage."