Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Why no other Board Battles Suggestions?  (Read 8688 times)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Why no other Board Battles Suggestions?
« on: June 16, 2010, 02:33:18 PM »
Precisely what the subject implies...  Why not any other suggestions for board battles.   I feel bad that there aren't any other board battles, even just escapist fun stuff.  I don't see why there isn't.  The boards have slowly becoming quieter and quieter over the last few months.  I'd love for someone to come up with another idea for a battle.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Re: Why no other Board Battles Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 04:35:05 PM »
Personally, I feel that too many board battles running simultaneously will dilute the content of existing ones.  I know that I won't have the time to read up on and then post quality replies to numerous board battles.  Furthermore, every board battle needs a host, and hosting can be a very time-intensive business as well.

I would suspect that if we have too many battles running simultaneously, we'd either end up with having only a small number of dedicated members in each one, or the quality of posts in each battle would likely suffer.  We just haven't got the number of members needed to realistically run a bunch of decent-sized battles simultaneously.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:28:30 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »
That makes sense.  I've had a lot of things come up recently that have caused me to postpone more than I'd like to.  It is very time consuming for me and I haven't even began to run it yet.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 07:11:31 AM »
We just haven't got the number of members needed to realistically run a bunch of decent-sized battles simultaneously.

We could get more members.

Just sayin'.  :P

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 01:47:10 PM »
I fail to see a problem with running multiple board battles. I do not think having more than one running would affect the quality of them. If a person is invested enough in their character and the plot of the story, they will do whatever they need to in order to ensure that board battle succeeds. Honestly, waiting for one, main epic board battle to update can be irritating. That's why I became rather bored with the previous administorum.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »
I fail to see a problem with running multiple board battles. I do not think having more than one running would affect the quality of them. If a person is invested enough in their character and the plot of the story, they will do whatever they need to in order to ensure that board battle succeeds. Honestly, waiting for one, main epic board battle to update can be irritating. That's why I became rather bored with the previous administorum.

True, someone who has invested a lot of time in the character and plot of a story will certainly spend the time needed to continue posting in it, and if we have lots of Board Battles running concurrently it's almost guaranteed that one of them is going to be moving forward at a good pace.

But I'd be reluctant to commit to too many board battles simultaneously.  Heck, I wasn't even sure about joining Misthaven.  Some people might be able to do it, but I'm sure others won't simply because they'll have trouble finding the time to do so.  If there are several number of Board Battles moving at a good pace (and they really all should be!) then that's quite a sizeable time investment.

And having too many Board Battles might only aggravate the problem with having to wait for updates to a Board Battle.  Battle Hosts will need to remain disciplined and only take on as much work as they can genuinely manage.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
The problem I see is that no one ever said that one Battle Master needed to be running multiple battles. So Multitasking shouldn't be a huge issue.

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 07:40:48 PM »
I'm thinking about writing up a pitch.

I'm lurking around to see the gist of what you guys prefer first, though.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 03:03:50 AM »
The problem I see is that no one ever said that one Battle Master needed to be running multiple battles. So Multitasking shouldn't be a huge issue.

But most Battle Masters are also participants in other Board Battles (well, either that or we have one less potential member in each Board Battle with every Battle Master), and reading all previous posts and then writing up a good response takes time.  Sure, not heaps of time, but if you were to do that for four or five battles, it'll start to add up.

I'm thinking about writing up a pitch.

I'm lurking around to see the gist of what you guys prefer first, though.

Hey, a pitch never hurt.  Post it!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 03:06:48 AM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 01:45:25 PM »
Hey, a pitch never hurt.  Post it!

Not quite sure what to go with yet, or what format will work out for me.

I certainly have the time, I'm just wary about starting something I don't follow through with. Again. Again again.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2010, 07:44:20 AM »
Apologies, my major exams end at around november, and I don't think I can commit much time at all to hosting anything at all till afterwards :(

Granted, I haven't thought of anything yet. Oh well, hopefully something will pop up
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
But most Battle Masters are also participants in other Board Battles (well, either that or we have one less potential member in each Board Battle with every Battle Master), and reading all previous posts and then writing up a good response takes time.  Sure, not heaps of time, but if you were to do that for four or five battles, it'll start to add up.

Like butter spread over too much bread. :-\
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 02:40:55 PM »
Ok Bilbo  :P

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »
Like butter spread over too much bread. :-\

Hehe, that gave me a good chuckle.  :D

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 07:47:58 AM »
Like Jam over too much English Muffin....

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 07:57:35 AM »
This thread has pretty much run it's course, and there actually is a new Board Battle Suggestion now. Locked.