Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Starhaven?  (Read 9590 times)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Starhaven?
« on: November 20, 2010, 11:00:32 AM »
I'm going to be honest guys I'm having a real hard time trying to stay interested in the Misthaven setting.  In hindsight I seriously wished I would of did a Sci-Fi space opera board battle instead.   Essentially Misthaven is an amalgamation of my love for WWI aerial combat and Victorian combat.   My interest of which has seriously waned.  To make a long story short it's hard for me to stay interested in Misthaven even though I like the concept, the characters and setting.   I've always sorta been a big sci-fi lover and my interest in such things hasn't diminished at all over the years.    I'm sort of interested in your opinions as to how you'd guys feel if we changed the setting of Misthaven to Starhaven?

This is only hypothetical as nothing is changing right now I’m just checking the interest.   My goal is to try to get back into posting and moving the story along.  When I do write, I do enjoy it greatly although I can't help but regret that I didn't do this story as a sci-fi story.   

Let me know how you guys feel about it.   I do have plans to continue the story tonight though and post.

The pitch would be about the same except being a city of steam it would be a planet perhaps protected by a spacial annomaly and instead of Orcs and such things they would be aliens of a similar cut.   The Graceful Gale would serve the same purpose as a transport/fighter carrier.   

Just could seriously see the story as a Cowboy Bebop type universe, essentially the story sort of is already just tech is different.

Just thowing it out there...

Offline Angie

• Scout
Re: Starhaven?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 01:48:52 PM »
Have you actually watched any other science fiction similar to Cowboy Bebop?

Because I'm not really seeing how that comparison works with your concept.

Oh, also, If you're moving over from a city, I would not suggest making the parallel a planet. A Space Colony or Colony-ship would be rather a lot more viable as a setting, especially if you want stellar dogfights.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 01:51:12 PM by Angie »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 09:10:08 PM »
I'd say go for it! If you feel a lot more comfortable writing with the setting changed, I think it'd help out with the quality/quantity of writing and get us all interested :)

I'm not a big fan of sci-fi though, and I guess I should be ashamed to say that I have no idea what cowboy Bebop is at all :s. Regardless, I don't mind doing research and checking it out, so I'm in!
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 10:25:35 PM »
I wish you'd keep the setting as-is, but then you're more than just the Battle Host, you're the creator of the entire setting.  If you're not sufficiently interested in it in to keep it going at such an early stage, I can't see how it can continue.  You've got to do what you feel comfortable doing.

But I'm not certain I'll be taking part if the setting changes so radically.  I'd have to see a more detailed outline, but at the moment I'd say it's unlikely.  I tend to find Sci-Fi a lot harder to get into.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 10:55:23 PM »
Nothings changing right now. Im just throwing it out there.  I more need personal motivation more than anything to post.   I love the setting as it is, just can't help but think it might be flowing faster if I had just a tad more interest in the setting.   

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 12:11:04 AM »
How can you love the setting but have no interest in it?  :o

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 10:44:31 PM »
I'm not as interested in sci-fi, but I am willing to try.  It's more a lack of knowledge than anything that would hinder me, which is obviously the case with anything new.  So, do what makes you happy (cause we won't be happy if you're not...this is storytelling, not a friggin' job) and those that wish to contribute...WILL.

I like my character and I think I could develop her more anywhere since she really is just a wisp now anyway.  I'd say just make sure you've outlined the setting and provide us with details of the important people/items/places our characters would know before even setting foot into your world.  I think that's really the only trouble I have is understanding the setting the BB host has in their mind...but it's also the fun of it too.

Main point is...this is all supposed to be fun, so make it fun. :)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2010, 09:55:50 AM »
I'm thinking though it might just be better to just stick it out and get this thing underway again.   I think would be best to just make a new battle after this one.   I'm sorry about all the delays.  Have the whole afternoon slotted out for writing tonight.   

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 11:29:25 AM »
Have you actually watched any other science fiction similar to Cowboy Bebop?

Because I'm not really seeing how that comparison works with your concept.

Oh, also, If you're moving over from a city, I would not suggest making the parallel a planet. A Space Colony or Colony-ship would be rather a lot more viable as a setting, especially if you want stellar dogfights.

What about a Migrant Fleet? Like in Xenosaga, Vandread, Mass Effect or Battlestar Galactica? Wouldn't that provide some sense of variety?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 11:34:39 AM by Danyael »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 04:43:46 PM »
What about a Migrant Fleet? Like in Xenosaga, Vandread, Mass Effect or Battlestar Galactica? Wouldn't that provide some sense of variety?
This would be pretty cool actually.

POST-SCRIPT: I envy your ability to sit through Vandread.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 08:18:38 PM »

On a side note, I think that the Migrant Fleet idea might provide possibilities to kick off in different angles. Such as inner scenarios within different ships or combat situations with pilots and their fighter squadrons, etc. etc. 

This would be pretty cool actually.

POST-SCRIPT: I envy your ability to sit through Vandread.

Oh come come, now. Vandread wasn't that bad.  :-X
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 10:34:17 PM »
Oh come come, now. Vandread wasn't that bad.  :-X

That's why I envy you.

Can't fucking stand the ugly CGI mechs, so a perfectly good show goes to waste.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2010, 07:40:35 AM »
Macross Zero was nice... Good mess of CGI and Animation.

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 01:25:25 AM »
Macross Zero was nice... Good mess of CGI and Animation.
Certainly better than Frontier. Ugh.

But we're really getting off topic here: What exactly are the elements you wish to include in the setting that you feel would work better with an SF backdrop as opposed to Steampunk fantasy?

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 07:34:59 AM »
Well the elements are essentially the same.   That's why I've pretty much decided im just going to stick with whats already been established.   

Going to keep the story as it is and just pump up the amount of posting I do.