Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Thoughts?  (Read 16706 times)

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
Thoughts?
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:13:30 PM »

Drew this up in the last couple of days and I'm starting to think I'm getting better at this drawing thing.  I always like to hear people's thoughts when I'm done with this stuff, so yeah, here it is.

By the way, this is for that mobile strategy game I previously mentioned.  He is the fire god, Valderun, and is a battle-obsessed warrior/dragon that became bored of fighting weaker foes, and therefor went to great lengths to create a titan strong enough to face him in battle.  Epic stuff.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 06:26:13 PM »
It looks good to me. The only thing i couldnt understand was the fire behind his back. Is it coming out of his back or is it just some background effects?
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 12:34:44 AM »
He has magma pouring out of his back in place of his wings, yes. :3

And thanks!

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2012, 09:15:35 AM »
Looks very good - the lighting/shadowing effects on the plates are very well done.

The lack of hands is a bit suspicious though... it's not 'cos hands are hard to draw, is it...? :P

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Haha, no, it's because the logo for our game was going there so it would've covered them up anyway.  The last monster I drew had 4 hands. :P

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:48:18 AM »

Here it is!

...And yes, the logo is going where his feet are.  DAMN YOU SOUL REAVER!

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2012, 05:45:35 AM »
Four-armed Magma monster with a metal grille for its lower jaw and massive horns. Is it named Ifrit?

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
He is yet to be named anything other than "fire tank unit" :P

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »

Water god and stuff!  Some more promotional stuff I've been doing.  This also helped me find out that when I draw these, all the oranges I intend to draw show up more yellowy on most monitors, so I'm going to have to fix that in the future.  All these images look better when I have them on my Cintiq. T_T

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2012, 05:38:19 AM »
Looks awesome and yes the flame is yellow, but it doesn’t look bad at all. Even though it looks good, if you didn’t mention it was a water god I would never have guessed it, by the image alone. If it has to be a god, I would call tar god on this one.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2012, 08:08:09 AM »
It does have some semblance to a water god. It looks like a giant crab/crustacean covered in spikes arising from the sea as water runs off of it. The head is what most distracted me.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2012, 05:23:00 PM »
I know what you mean. Each time I look at the head I am thinking where on earth is the rest of venom?

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 02:17:18 AM »
I had second thoughts on the head myself. XD  But when I voiced it my crew said to keep it, so I did.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 11:04:10 AM »
It definitely fits. The idea of a sightless dome with nothing but sharp fangs is ideal for the apex predator of the lightless depths of the sea. It just took me a minute to see the body as a whole rather than parts. It looked for a minute, before I realized what it was, like a giant temple to the water god rising out of the sea, with the entrance being the mouth which would open or something along those lines.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 07:53:41 AM »
It depends on the point of view. What I see is a monster attacking a bunch of people who are siting by a fire near a tree, with some mountains on the background. I can’t really associate any of it with water. It does look like it came out of a lake or something, but I still can’t guess it’s a water god.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 07:58:13 AM by Radobe »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2012, 03:31:21 PM »
With this particular deity we're not trying to communicate "God" as much as we're trying to communicate "Monster."  Unlike the others, this one won't even have a constructed dwelling, since even its own worshipers fear to go anywhere near it.  You won't be going inside of it, but you will fight it with an army, and we're considering having a level where it stays submerged and gives brief warning before it shatters ice beneath your troops to consume them.

Though going inside it would be pretty cool.  It would be a bit cliche for the sea monster thing, but could make for a lot of fun, and would scale up epicness if you're having a hard time just battling something's innards.  I'll definitely bring that idea up at our next meeting. :)

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 04:11:46 PM »
Since you read berserk, you most likely thought about this, but I am saying it any way. Think about a simultaneous inside/outside battle. How the things you do inside affect the outside battle can be very epic. Just saying.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
That would be difficult for our engine to handle unfortunately. :'(

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
I like the huge size of the water god.  To make its size seem even more immense you could do a little blurring on the back to tall peaks.  Or maybe some waves/water cascading down them.  Ooo, or even mist that was kicked up by the things rise from the depths.

Forever the critic.  I don't art at all really.  Although with a new DnD campaign coming up I'm in character creation mode is it will warrant a drawing.  I'll try and post it up here for everyone to tear apart ;)

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2013, 07:12:51 PM »
Guess who?

For my mid-term black and white assignment, I wanted to draw The Gorger.  Unfortunately, I was on a time crunch, so I skipped the chains and broken scrap armor that would be pretty time consuming.  I also took the liberty of making his hair a few inches longer for dramatic effect. Also, he's usually hunched over, and while he can stand like that, it's highly uncommon.  Unfortunately, my instructor insisted that our characters be upright in a "standing there looking cool" pose.

Otherwise though, pretty happy with it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the head he's holding should have been scaled down since The Gorger is... y'know... f***in' huge standing up.  Should've had him holding a cluster of 3.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 01:17:50 AM by Jorumn Fargazer »