Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Eye of Terror: Ascent Into Madness  (Read 30838 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
Re: The Eye of Terror: Ascent Into Madness
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2016, 01:47:55 AM »
He turned towards Cameron then, who was staring up at the spire. Slowly moving to stand next to him, he folded his arms across his chest. He looked somehow older, as if this place were wearing on him.

"It's almost done then. One more push." he paused for a moment, then spoke again "Thank you for the assist back there, we make a good team."

Cameron turns towards Sepher as he speaks.

"Yes. It is almost done. And don't mention it. I'm sure we'll have plenty more chances to help each other in the near future."

Cameron returns his gaze to the Spire. When he speaks again, sadness has seeped into his voice.

"We have lost so many of our companions on the way here. My only hope is that we're able to finally complete this hellish mission without losing any more."

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 04:10:45 AM »
Blooddrinker makes a grinding, crunching noise as Soul Reaver methodically forces it through a downed Chaos Marine's armour, putting the enemy out of his misery.  As he sees the soul escape the body, he draws it into himself, denying the Chaos Gods another prize.

With a grunt, Soul Reaver rises and briefly looks over the area.  Cameron is addressing the marines.  Further away, he sees Mary get back up, clutching the Everworld cloak.

Soul Reaver's old eyes had seen enough that the fondness she held for Danyael was evident.  Deep inside, he felt a swell of pity and briefly wondered if he should caution against such attachment, for he saw no way for it to end but in tears.  But he knew better than to try and counsel either of them in this regard - such advice, no matter how well meaning, would only bring hostility even if they came from a friend.  And Soul Reaver knew that they no longer considered him such.

Soul Reaver gives a quiet shake of his head, then begins hearing Cameron's message in his mind.

He sheathes Blooddrinker and adjusts his gauntlets as he slowly walks toward Cameron's position.  He had been careful not to expend undue power in this battle, and he was likely as ready as he ever would be without a long rest.

As he approaches, he overhears Cameron's comment to Sepher and it gives him pause.  He lowers his eyes in regret, for he knows just how much he is to blame for what has transpired.  Rather than intrude on their conversation, Soul Reaver turns to face their goal, arms crossed and head lowered in stoic silence.

If nothing else, he would make his enemies pay.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 04:19:52 AM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2016, 04:17:44 PM »
He sighs gently, listening to Cameron talk about about the loss of their companions. It bid him to think of his own memories, taking him back to when his people had been destroyed.

"Don't worry" Sepher said softly, almost inaudibly. He noted Soul approaching and standing near them.

"I will do everything within my power to see the rest of us out of this forsaken hole" His words were spoken with such conviction, that it was hard not to believe him.

He looked over to soul and nodded, letting him know that his presence here was appreciated and not a regret. He knew all about what this place could do to a person, what it could do to a man's soul.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2016, 11:53:06 PM »
The echo slumps his shoulders in response to Kitharsis' comical rebuttal of 'affection'. "Oh fine, be that way." he shrugged before turning to some close by marines. "Here, hold this." sloppily throwing off the gore toward the marines before vanishing back into the ether, forcing them to scatter aside in all directions while spitting admonitions of "What's your bloody malfunction, mate?!", "Quite rude!", "You filthy jamote!" and "First of all, how dare you!" before they quizzically realized they were talking only to air.

On the other side of the Battlefield, the real Danyael looked Mary over, unable to help himself from admiring what he saw. The purest ferocity of nature all embodied within a single form. Perhaps he was a tinge biased, but he wouldn't at all be surprised if she didn't blame him. The everworld cloak looked good on her. In fact, it looked perfect - as if she was meant to wear it. And as far as he was concerned, the cloak, and all that came with it - the orden, the imperium and the nephilim lord himself - were hers. Though he'd learned to accpet the loneliness of his journey, both through the Eye and as the High Sovereign of the Imperium Sanctus, it was Mary that gave him that one spark of companionship that extended beyond any intimacy he'd ever experienced. And yet, there was something else.

Though he made no hint of it, something caught his attention. The problem with being connected to whatever world, dead or not, that he stood on is that he didn't have much choice in cutting himself off from it. And so even the subtlest of sensations did not go without his notice. Such as the vibrations of sound across a now dead battlefield. The sounds of disgust from a very grumpy elemental, for instance. It would be different if he spoke to his compatriot telepathically. Danyael wasn't a mind reader. But something as archaic as a physical voice? That was different altogether.

He turned to Mary and remembered that this was not quite the same woman he knew, though still very much the same woman. This was Mary from 5 years in the future. That came as a bit of a slap. No, it came as a cannon blast through the chest. So much can change in 5 years. He didn't say anything, as there was no need to mention anything. But he did offer her a place to sit by him. "When you've been lost for as long as I have, places don't matter nearly as much as the time spent with the ones who do." he sat down on what might have been a toppled pillar. "It would honor me for another moment. If you've time to share."
« Last Edit: October 02, 2016, 12:02:46 AM by Danyael »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2016, 11:28:13 PM »
The Seraphim battles beside the Space Marines as they purge the remaining forces of evil from the battlefield.  With the fighting at an end he heads over to the area that the Apothecaries have turned into their triage center.  Setting his hammer down he moves amongst the wounded.  From minor healing prayers, to applying bandages, to a simple bowed head as a soldier passes away he does his best to see to those around him.  Once it is clear the Apothecaries have everything under control he makes his way over towards Cameron and the others.  Extending his hand towards his weapon, the large hammer zips through the air and into his waiting grasp.  Slinging the sledge over his shoulder he stops next to Cameron, his glowing orbs gazing up at the tower from behind his helm.

"Victory.....and vengeance...will be ours in the end Lord Aileron, have no fear.  This evil shall fall before our combined might."
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2016, 03:48:17 PM »
Danyael's echo vanishes after throwing slop all over the nearby marines.  Kitharsis quickly moves away from them, not wanting to catch any of their now targetless frustration.

Cameron said they had a few minutes before their next advance.  Kitharsis intends to take advantage of the lull and regain some pure energy.  He hooks his horseman's pick to his belt before crossing his arms and closing his eyes.  The purifying spark starts going to work on the dark Tirthandaran energy inside of him.

He opens his eyes, revealing a faint white glow.  With deliberate steps, he walks through the battlefield until he notices Soul Reaver standing apart.  Kitharsis nonchalantly approaches the solitary warrior.  He doesn't speak to Soul Reaver, rather he absentmindedly inspects the contents of the many pouches and pockets on his belt.

Finding what he was looking for, Kitharsis produces a piece of what appears to be a red colored, thick gelatin.  A small knife, also produced from the same bag, is used to cut the gelatin in half.  He offers half of it to Soul Reaver.

"It's not much.  A mix of sweet herbs and dried fruit."  After a pause he adds, "A reminder of home."
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:09:52 AM by Kitharsis »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 03:10:59 AM »
He turned to Mary and remembered that this was not quite the same woman he knew, though still very much the same woman. This was Mary from 5 years in the future. That came as a bit of a slap. No, it came as a cannon blast through the chest. So much can change in 5 years. He didn't say anything, as there was no need to mention anything. But he did offer her a place to sit by him. "When you've been lost for as long as I have, places don't matter nearly as much as the time spent with the ones who do." he sat down on what might have been a toppled pillar. "It would honor me for another moment. If you've time to share."

Mary’s smirk turns into a full grin as Danyael speaks. She can’t help but feel flattered that Danyael would imply that she matters to him.

“You certainly know how to make a hot-tempered warp-infused warrior moments away from facing her own possible death feel like a lady.”

She takes the seat next to him. As she does so, she looks up at the top of the Spire. Like most Chaos structures, it is nearly impossible to tell how tall it actually is. But she can clearly make out the pure warp energy pouring out of it’s apex. Her eyes glow involuntarily as she stares into the vortex.

“So much power… but it’s completely corrupted. An abomination. Just like everything else here.”

Mary shudders as she rips her eyes away from the sight. In this moment, she feels very vulnerable. She has completely let her guard down for the first time in as long as she can remember. Her responsibilities and the fear of failing at them well up within her. In response, she sighs heavily and leans sideways, resting her full weight on Danyael.

“This is it, I guess. Everything we’ve worked for has come down to this. Saving everyone from this threat. Getting final retribution on the powers that brought an end to my people. Stopping Chaos from claiming any more lives. It’s all riding on us. And even though I know the end result… I don’t feel like I’m strong enough to do this. The responsibility of this is just too heavy for me. I’m not a leader, like him.”

Mary looks out at Cameron.

“He’s just lost the one thing that he cares about more than anything else in existence, and yet he keeps fighting. I don’t know if I could do that. I don’t know if I could keep fighting if I lost…”

Mary trails off as her eyes turn back to Danyael.

“I’m not a leader. I am a warrior. I fight to protect the people I love. And I think… that as long as you’re here fighting with us, that I can keep fighting forever. If that’s what it takes.”

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 03:22:40 AM »
.and vengeance...will be ours in the end Lord Aileron, have no fear.  This evil shall fall before our combined might."

Cameron turns and regards the Seraphim standing next to him. Of all the companions remaining, he knows that Jharm is the most stalwart. He can rely on the angelic warrior until the end. He recalls something that was said in an earlier conversation.

"Lord Jharm. Earlier, you said that the power of the Seraph legions would be at my disposal if needed. What exactly did you mean by that?"

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 03:47:56 AM »
The Seraphim glances over at the Elemental as he is spoken to.

"Lord Jharm. Earlier, you said that the power of the Seraph legions would be at my disposal if needed. What exactly did you mean by that?"

Jharm chuckles softly and places a large hand on Camerons shoulder.

"Exactly as it sounds my friend.  We have traveled together for quite some time, and during that time it has become clear to me that the taint of Darkness is clear within the enemy that we face.  The name given might be different....but the point of origin is the same.  Say the word and I shall do all that I can to ensure that the armies of the Light march upon this cursed plane and pave the way for us to bring justice to those responsibl and, at the least, cripple the agents of Darkness within this universe."

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 07:50:58 AM »
Soul Reaver's melancholy vigil is interrupted by the sound of heavy footsteps, followed shortly afterward by a huge grey hand appearing before him, holding a small piece of fruit jelly.

"It's not much.  A mix of sweet herbs and dried fruit," the deep and familiar voice rumbles.

"A reminder of home."

Soul Reaver takes the offered foodstuff and looks up over his shoulder at his towering companion.  For a time, the stoic mask falls, replaced by a thin-lipped, weary smile - the kind of smile used by those who fear that by revealing it it may be taken from them.  But the gratitude in the expression is nonetheless pure and true.

"Thank you Kitharsis"

Soul Reaver eats slowly and carefully, taking the time to savor the taste before speaking further.

"It may seem a small thing.  Yet it is not."

He looks up at Kitharsis again.

"It is these small things that we fight for.  That people may find comfort in the simple pleasures of home, beyond..."

He pauses for a moment, then sweeps his arm to encompass the pitted and corpse-strewn battlefield.

"...beyond all of this."

He becomes lost in thought for a moment.

"Sometimes I fear I may at some point forget that this is at the heart of my battles, the reason why I draw my blade."

He finishes the last tiny, gelatinous morsel, then once again directs that faint, grateful smile at Kitharsis.

"It is good to have someone remind me."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 07:53:39 AM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »
Kitharsis returns Soul Reaver's weary smile with one of his own.  As Soul Reaver mulls over the gesture's meaning, Kitharsis nods as he chews on his own piece of the candied jelly.  For a moment, two comrades share a sweet from home while surveying a battle won.  A small moment given to a small thing.  He won't admit it, but this was just as much for himself as Soul Reaver. 

"...It is good to have someone remind me."  Soul Reaver says, with another grateful smile.

"Do not forget.  I fear I may run out of candy."  Kitharsis's chest rumbles with a deep chuckle. 

He finishes chewing his piece and lets out a heavy sigh.  It seems that a bit of the weight of recent events has lifted from Kitharsis's shoulders.

"Come.  We should prepare for what lies ahead."

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2016, 03:39:11 PM »
Cameron nods as Jharm finishes speaking.

“Depending on what we find up ahead, we may be sorely pressed. Our scouts have indicated that we still haven’t seen the bulk of the Thousand Sons Chapter, which is extremely worrying. This is also the furthest that any Imperial forces have ever made it and lived to tell about it. We have no idea what to expect up ahead.”

Cameron glances back at Kitharsis and Soul Reaver as they share a small bit of sustenance. For a brief moment, Cameron allows his mind to wander outside of the Eye. What will the surviving companions do when they are done here? Where will fate take them next? Will they finally know peace? At least for a while? Or will it be straight to the next fight, the next battle, the next threat to life in the Multiverse?

Lord Aileron.

His thoughts are interrupted by a familiar voice from behind him. He turns to face the Imperial assassin, Igtenos. Captain of the Watch for the Grey Knights chapter. He recalls back to when he held that title within the Blood Angels chapter. No responsibilities other than tracking down evil and bringing the might of the Imperium (and his companions) to bear. He again finds himself wishing that the mantle of responsibility had never been set upon him, but quickly shoves that to the back of his mind.

“Igtenos. Report.”

The assassin has certainly seen his share of fighting. His long coat is missing. The uniform underneath it is tattered. Beneath the uniform is a strange armor made of interlocking flexible metal plates. Some of the plates are scored with gashes and bullet marks and some of them are missing altogether. The mask that covers most of his face appears to be damaged. Bandages are wrapped around his torso, and a dark blackish red stain has spread to cover most of them. If any of this is impacting him at all, he fails to show it.

We control the wasteland, and have cut off all entrances to the Labyrinth. We’ve purged all Chaos and any afflicted that we’ve come across. There may still be Chaos forces on the other planets in the system that haven’t responded yet. We’re monitoring the situation.

Cameron nods.

“And your other mission?”

We found the laboratory in question near the edge of this planetoid. It did indeed contain the equipment that you spoke of. We believe it was used to turn a number of psykers and other powerful creatures into fighting machines for the Chaos forces. But something broke out of it. Everyone there was dead and all of the other abominations already destroyed. Whatever did it was extremely powerful.

Cameron sighs.

“And the laboratory?”

Destroyed, as ordered. Scorched earth.

Cameron nods again. Hopefully no plans or blueprints of the machinery within that laboratory escaped their notice. Nothing as powerful or as awful as Peterson should ever be created again.

“New orders, then. Hold this position. Nothing gets to the Spire without my authorization. The last thing we need is to get attacked from behind.”

Igtenos flashes a salute and nods in acknowledgement of the other companions before walking away. Another marine in armor similar to Cameron’s has approached while Cameron was talking to Igtenos, and he now steps forward.

“Lord Aileron. The remaining Grey Knights are in route to this position. The 1st Company of Terminators have returned to the Revenant for resupply but will be joining us shortly.”

Cameron regards Captain Aldaris. Good soldier. Better leader. He’s been serving under Cameron since the Battle of Kelvaris, when they were both still Blood Angels. And thanks to recent events…

“Thank you, Captain. I have new orders for you as well.”

Cameron reaches into a pouch at his belt and pulls out a flat silver disk with a retractable handle, as well as a wax seal. The seal has a ribbon attached which has battle litanies used by the ancient Space Marines written in latin. Aldaris looks at the seal, surprise evident on his face.

“Lord Aileron, I-”

Cameron cuts him off with a raised hand. His eyes dart towards Soul Reaver before focusing back on Aldaris. There is a hard edge to his voice when he speaks.

“Master Captain Ryoki has fallen in combat. By my authority as Chapter Master, I am giving you a field promotion.”

Before Aldaris can protest, Cameron presses the wax seal up against his shoulder plate and sets the disk over top of it. There is a bright flash and a sizzling sound, and when he removes the disk, the wax has been sealed into the titanium plating with a strange symbol.

“You are henceforth known as Master Captain Aldaris. Second in command of the Grey Knights Chapter. You report directly to me from this point forward.”

Aldaris looks as if he is about to say something, but thinks better of it. He salutes instead. Cameron returns the salute.

“Let me know when the Terminators arrive. We need to move out.”

Aldaris nods and walks away. Cameron turns back to the Spire and falls silent.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 07:01:09 PM by Cameron »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2016, 10:39:16 PM »
--Elsewhere--

Below the Spire lies the Chaos hive. A spiderweb of a city built on top of the Chaos Labyrinth. It’s high-rises and massive structures mostly consist of housing for the various Chaos factions and factories for their weaponry and armor. The Imperial Marines have been clearing it block by block since the surrounding wasteland was secure. Near one of the upper levels, a patrol of Imperial Fist marines makes their way down another foul smelling street, looking for Chaos forces to engage.

The patrol consists of 20 Tactical marines, a Rhino troop transport tank with a mounted heavy bolter,  a Predator Annihilator-pattern tank, and a Thunderhawk hovering overhead. As they move, one of the Tactical marines uses a scanner to check each building for life signs. So far they have found none during this sweep. Which is why they are very surprised when a shrouded figure steps from an alleyway and into their midst. He speaks in a frail voice.

“Oh, hello. Don’t mind me. Just passing through.”

The marines immediately turn on the figure. Their sergeant speaks.

“HALT! Remain still or we will open fire! Drop any weapons that you are carrying and raise your hands above your head!”

The figure sighs heavily.

“You see, I try to give these fools a chance. Every time. But they never listen to me.

The figure’s black shroud is ripped to shreds as chains fly in all directions. 4 marines fall instantly. The rest open fire, but whirling chains deflect the bolter rounds away from the figure. The figure seems to unfold and become much taller than he initially appeared. Peterson laughs.

Come on, guys! Can’t we just talk this out?

One of the marines charges him with a chainsword and is impaled on the Talon of Horus, which cuts through his power armor like it was paper. Peterson darts to his left, cutting another marine’s legs off with Drach’nyen while his chains rip two more off their feet and throw them into the nearby buildings. The marine on top of the Rhino opens fire with his heavy bolter. The hail of heavy rounds temporarily drives Peterson back. Peterson laughs again.

Hahaha… okay. Fine! We’ll do it the fun way!"

Peterson leaps into the air as his chains wrap tightly around him. He lands on the marine firing the heavy bolter, driving him straight into the Rhino. Seconds later, the Rhino explodes in a wave of fire and chaos energy, sending shrapnel and chunks of the marines that were inside flying in every direction. As the smoke clears, Peterson comes back into view, soaked in blood and smiling. The remaining marines look on, horrified.

“What abomination is this? OPEN FIRE!”

The remaining marines open fire, as does the Thunderhawk in the sky. Behind Peterson, the Predator is charging it’s twin-linked lascannon for a shot. Peterson, meanwhile, is still laughing.

Yes. YES. Keep it up! I LOVE this!

Peterson charges forward just as the las blast hits, missing him completely. He spins as he hits the crowd of marines, and the whirling chains, talon, and daemon blade rip them apart. Shaking the last two off of his Talon, he reels as another volley of fire from the Thunderhawk hits him. He hears the lascannon behind him preparing to fire as well.

Okay, that’s enough.

Peterson extends a hand and a volley of chains slam into the Thunderhawk, penetrating its hull in multiple places. The pilots panic and try to ascend, but Peterson grabs the chain in both hands and hauls backwards. The Thunderhawk gunship is yanked out of the air and over his head, it’s turbines whining in protest. As Peterson follows through with his swing, the ship plunges into the Predator tank just as it’s lascannon fires. Both the tank and the gunship are consumed in a huge blast. Peterson chuckles as debris falls all around him.

HIGHLY amusing. These guys are way more fun to kill than your Chaos soldiers. They enjoy it less.

A voice rings out in Peterson’s mind.

If you’re quite finished, we’re here for a reason.

Peterson glances to the sky while he absentmindedly twirls Drach’nyen in one hand.

Right, right. Refresh my memory. Why are we here again?

Because we need something from my office. Which you fortunately managed to avoid destroying.

Peterson finds his gaze drawn to a large building just to his left.

Okay. Sounds boring! But whatever. Let’s get it over with.

Peterson begins trudging across the street.

And please don’t forget the package. We need it.

Oh, right! I almost forgot. Boy, do I feel silly!

Peterson giggles maniacally as his chains fly back into the alley that he emerged from. They retract carrying a large black plastic bag. Peterson grabs it and slings it over his shoulder.

There we are! All set! Let’s go check out your office!

Peterson finishes stalking over to the building. A massive security door stands in his way. He kicks it in like it’s made of plywood and steps inside.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2016, 11:44:20 PM »
She takes the seat next to him. As she does so, she looks up at the top of the Spire. Like most Chaos structures, it is nearly impossible to tell how tall it actually is. But she can clearly make out the pure warp energy pouring out of it’s apex. Her eyes glow involuntarily as she stares into the vortex.
His gaze, too, was drawn to the spire. In some very twisted way, the structure reminded him of some of the upper summit towers of Sacntuary. The only real difference was... well... they weren't monoliths of collective chaos energies. Though the spire was quite possibly horrid to behold in the physical sense, through Danyael's eyes, it was almost hypnotizing to behold. Almost. It seemed, much to his own gratitude, that all energies around him gravitated toward one figure. Mary. And so he averted his gaze from the Spire to the woman he cared for most.

Mary shudders as she rips her eyes away from the sight. In this moment, she feels very vulnerable. She has completely let her guard down for the first time in as long as she can remember. Her responsibilities and the fear of failing at them well up within her. In response, she sighs heavily and leans sideways, resting her full weight on Danyael.

He cradled her at the exact moment she rested into him, completing the motion with a relaxing exhale. In the midst of everything around them, they could still find a semblance of solace between them.

“This is it, I guess. Everything we’ve worked for has come down to this. Saving everyone from this threat. Getting final retribution on the powers that brought an end to my people. Stopping Chaos from claiming any more lives. It’s all riding on us. And even though I know the end result… I don’t feel like I’m strong enough to do this. The responsibility of this is just too heavy for me. I’m not a leader, like him.”

He didn't want to ask and he knew that she knew that he didn't want to ask. He asked anyway... "Are we..." he stopped and changed his mind. He shouldn't ask. And so, instead, he didn't. But the mention of her people, or rather the calamity that brought an end to them. That caught his attention even more. Just what did she see? What happened? How could it have happened? And more importantly, could it have been avoided? Could they have been defended? If Danyael had known Mary long before this happened, then the answer would have damn well been clear as crystal.

“He’s just lost the one thing that he cares about more than anything else in existence, and yet he keeps fighting. I don’t know if I could do that. I don’t know if I could keep fighting if I lost…”

If she lost... what? If she lost... who? He didn't have to guess. She knew that she was held dearest in his heart. He nestled her closer, his head lightly pressed to hers. He didn't say anything at first, as he felt it appropriate to wait in case she'd more to say. And more she did, indeed. And that was perfectly fine with him.

“I’m not a leader. I am a warrior. I fight to protect the people I love. And I think… that as long as you’re here fighting with us, that I can keep fighting forever. If that’s what it takes.”

"I didn't originally know how to come back, you know. Not at first. I was so full of rage, jealousy, foolishness. Not the best qualities to the sovereign of an empire, I'll admit. And all three resulted in a great many consequences I've yet to fully map. To name a few: I'd lost my sight. I feel pain and bliss all at once. I'm taunted and tormented by visions I cannot fully understand, even now. And the specters in said visions remind me that I am the only one of my kind. A mutant hybrid with no bloodline to speak for. That I am, unequivocally, alone." but he wasn't finished. "And yet, in my exile, I didn't think of the end of my torment. I didn't think of returning to the Imperium Sanctus. All I could do was think only of you. You are, and ever will be, my beacon. You, and you alone, are the one being in all existence that I seek to be better for. To be greater for."

"I don't think causes need leaders." he said, mentally laughing at the fact that he was the leader of a nation that held dominion over entire multiverses, "Not so much as that I believe causes need the conviction of those who take it upon themselves to see it through. You don't have to be a leader. You only have to possess the school of thought to focus on what matters most and why it's worth fighting for. You are my focus, my aim, my light. It is solely because of you that I'm here. Every time death came close, all I had to do was close my eyes and see you - and that was all I needed. That was enough. You are enough. One day, when I've been deemed worthy of you, perhaps I'll be, too."

By way of his will or something beyond, the everworld cloak expanded to where it wrapped around them both. It was moments like these that he cherished most. The moments of respite, no matter how fleeting, were worth every second that lasted. He didn't say anything else, as speaking was no longer his trademark. But he knew that she knew what he was thinking. That this was what kept him going. She made him better. Few people did. But she made him better.

With the spire in the distance, Danyael mused to himself and reached deep within the fabrics of the Everworld cloak, grabbing hold of and bringing out what appeared to be a gourd flask of mulled wine. "Knew I had that hidden away." he offered her first sip. "Now it's an ideal romantic outing." cherishing any moments left before the final push.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:47:05 PM by Danyael »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2016, 12:14:25 AM »
"You are my focus, my aim, my light. It is solely because of you that I'm here. Every time death came close, all I had to do was close my eyes and see you - and that was all I needed. That was enough. You are enough. One day, when I've been deemed worthy of you, perhaps I'll be, too."

Mary looks into Danyael's eyes. Her own violet eyes still glow from the latent warp energy nearby. Danyael can almost see storm patterns swirling within them.

"You're already worthy. You always have been."

She mulls over his partially asked question from before. Now would not be the right time to answer it. This place would not be the right place. Maybe once they were done here...

With the spire in the distance, Danyael mused to himself and reached deep within the fabrics of the Everworld cloak, grabbing hold of and bringing out what appeared to be a gourd flask of mulled wine. "Knew I had that hidden away." he offered her first sip. "Now it's an ideal romantic outing." cherishing any moments left before the final push.

"Now we're talking."

Mary grins as she takes the flask from him. She takes a drink without bothering to see what it is first. Probably a dangerous prospect were it anyone other than him offering. She sighs contentedly as she hands the flask back.

"That is amazing. You're going to have to tell me where you got that later."

Mary closes her eyes, allowing the final moments of respite to set her at ease.

Cameron stands a few yards away, still looking at the Spire in stoic silence. He is decidedly not at ease. Radio chatter in his headset has just alerted him to an entire squad of marines lost in the Chaos city. The other Chapter Masters are confused, since most of the resistance there had been wiped out. Cameron glances over his shoulder. The Terminators are taking far too long to arrive.

As he looks back, he sees Danyael and Mary out of the corner of his eye. For a split second, he registers annoyance, but then his features soften. He turns away sadly.

Enjoy what you have while you have it. Nothing is permanent. Especially not in this line of work.

A lesson learned the hard way. Cameron doesn't bother broadcasting that to anyone. No point in ruining anyone else's moment of respite. Instead, he allows his mind to reach out into the surrounding city. Maybe he can figure out what's going on down there.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2016, 08:58:43 AM »
--Elsewhere--

Peterson taps his clawed foot impatiently. He has crammed himself into an elevator which is slowly rising through the building.

“I know I already asked you this…”

Then don’t ask.

“...but WHY are we taking the ELEVATOR.”

Because I didn’t trust you to break into my office from outside without destroying it.

“And why the hell is your office not in the Chaos Spire? I thought you were one of the big bad Chaos Lords.”

I had suspicions that Ahriman was working against me. I had to have a place out from under his gaze.

Peterson rolls his one good eye as the elevator door finally opens. He steps through and returns to his full height. The elevator starts to close and he quickly reaches back in and grabs the large plastic bag he’s been carrying.

“I still find it hard to believe that an ancient powerful Chaos Lord, feared across the universe, would need an office.”

Peterson chuckles to himself.

Can we just get on with it?

“NOW who’s impatient?”

Peterson passes through a set of double doors and reaches some kind of reception area. There are no chairs. Vile paintings depicting torture and death line the walls. A small skull servitor hovers over what appears to be a receptionist desk. It beeps at Peterson.

“Aww, someone forgot to tell your secretary that the office is closed.”

Peterson approaches the door that’s next to the desk. He winds up as if to kick it open.

Stop.

“What now?”

If this door is forced open, the entire room will be flooded with superheated plasma. It will destroy everything inside.

“Oh. FUN. So what do we do about this?”

Peterson gestures to a strange looking panel next to the door.

It’s coded to my genetic material. Do you have it?

Peterson feigns confusion for a moment.

“Oh yeah! I have it.”

He reaches into a recess in his armor and pulls out a hunk of decaying flesh, which he proceeds to smear across the panel before tossing it on the floor. It leaves a bloody streak behind, The panel beeps.

Welcome, Lord Abbadon.

Peterson scoffs as the security door slides open.

“So what did you do? Cut yourself every time you needed in here?”

Yes.

“How edgy.”

Peterson takes pleasure in the feeling of irritation that he can feel radiating from Abbadon’s presence in his mind. He steps into the office.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2016, 01:49:08 PM »
--Elsewhere--

Peterson glances around the office as he enters. Other than additional paintings of scenes of torture and death, this office could belong to any of the fat cat corporation CEOs on a human world. The major difference was the huge archaic looking computer system that dominated the corner of the room. And the pentagram-shaped spell circle that had apparently been drawn in blood on the floor. And that there wasn’t a chair.

“There’s no chair.”

I don’t sit.

“Fair enough!”

Along the side of the wall opposite the computer system is a large painting of Chaos warships emerging from the Eye of Terror. The caption reads “The First Black Crusade.” Peterson carefully removes it from the wall and sets it aside, revealing a massive safe. Peterson sheathes Drach’nyen and sets the Talon of Horus aside.

The combination to the safe is-

Abbadon’s voice cuts off as Peterson jams both of his skeletal metal hands straight through the safe door. There is the sound of screeching metal and crackling electronics as he rips the door completely off the safe and throws it aside.

“Sorry, friend! But this is taking entirely too long.”

And how did you know that I didn’t have that trapped as well?

‘Call it a hunch. Who traps a safe in a room that’s already trapped? Seems overkill, if you ask me.”

Peterson is grinning. He honestly hadn’t given much thought to whether or not the safe was trapped. He just didn’t care. And Abbadon seemed to know that.

Fine. Just get what we came for.

In the safe, next to an ancient bolt pistol and a number of other artifacts of Crusades past, is a dried piece of parchment. Peterson removes this and regards it.

“So what is this that we came the whole way over here for?”

My contingency plan. It’s a page from Ahriman’s book. Some ritual he stole from the Black Library, no doubt.

“And what does it do?”

It gets me out of your body.

“And thus ends our contract! I can't say it hasn't been fun...”

No. I will still be very weak. I will need you to bring me to the Spire.

Peterson scoffs.

“And why would I do that? What’s the point? You got what you want from me. Maybe I just want to go do my own thing now.”

For a moment, Abbadon is silent. Peterson stares out the nearby window at the smoking city. He can feel other Space Marines out there. It would be entirely too amusing to dart around the city, killing as many as he could. He is about to suggest this when Abbadon speaks up again.

You know, that is only one page of Ahriman’s “spell book” as he calls it. There are plenty more. Including one about how to turn powerful warriors into obedient fighting machines.

The smile fades from the exposed portion of Peterson’s face.

The project that made you? It was Ahriman’s idea. His last chance at making something that kept the physical body intact but gave him the same control as his Rubric. It failed, of course.

Peterson is deathly still.

He had us pull people into the Eye from all over. Wherever we could detect a powerful unshielded Chaos signal. Sound… familiar?

Peterson is still for a moment longer. When he opens his one good eye, it is filled with Chaos fire.

“I appear to have a new name on my list.”

Good. Then we are in agreement. Help me with this ritual, and then we will go together.

Peterson turns his attention back to the parchment in his hand.

‘Where do we start?”
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 01:05:13 AM by Cameron »

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2016, 08:41:08 PM »
“Depending on what we find up ahead, we may be sorely pressed. Our scouts have indicated that we still haven’t seen the bulk of the Thousand Sons Chapter, which is extremely worrying. This is also the furthest that any Imperial forces have ever made it and lived to tell about it. We have no idea what to expect up ahead.”

The Seraphim nods in understanding.  Noticing the other Space Marines waiting to speak with Cameron, he turns and moves away a few paces as he prepares to  see to preparations.  His glowing eyes slide shut as he begins to focus inward.  His thoughts reach out, the Seraphim visibly struggling as he fights through the chaos of the Eye.  He then feels a calming, strengthening presence on his mind as he senses the Council of Light aiding him.  Finally, at great effort he reaches the mind of the one he seeks.  A sense of surprise strikes him as the other was clearly not expecting the contact.

Seraphim!  We have not heard from you in some time.  The Council had informed us of you entering a dark and malevolent area and that myself and Lord Drayvon were to see that everything be made ready should you need us.

That is correct Nethanya, in fact it is likely only with their help that I am able to reach you now.  They were wise to suggest such a thing as we likely shall be needing the Armies of Light soon.  See that all forces are mobilized and ready to depart at a moments notice.  Gather the Voice Caste, what we will be trying will certainly require all of our efforts.

It shall be done Seraphim.  May the glory of the Light watch over.

You as well Seranna

Turning back to the group Jharm notices that Cameron is once more silently gazing up at the foreboding structure before them.  Returning to the Elementals side the Seraph clears his throat softly.

"My armies are mobilizing as we speak.  Simply say the word and they shall march forth alongside your Space Marines."

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2016, 02:37:59 PM »
--Elsewhere--

As you can see, I’ve already completed the spell circle. You just need to place the vessel in the center, feed it Chaos energy, and incite the incantation. I’ll take care of the rest.

Peterson glances down at the intricate spell circle.

“And who’s blood was that inscribed in?”

Too many mortals to count.

Peterson hefts the black bag he is carrying into the center of the circle.

If you’re not going to remove the vessel from the bag before we start, at least unzip it.

Abbadon does not sound amused, so Peterson dutifully reaches down and unzips the bag. He then touches the spell circle, feeding his power into it. Soon the entire circle and all of the runes inscribed within it glow with a green fire.

“Okay. Now what?”

The incantation.

Peterson stares at the parchment for a long moment. He grins

“I can’t read this, you know.”

Abbadon sighs.

Hmm. Right. Let me fix that.

Peterson feels Abbadon’s presence fill his mind for a moment, and his vision flashes red. When it clears, he can now understand the archaic characters printed on the parchment.

“That’s more like it! Okay… let’s start from the top…”

As Peterson begins speaking, he can hear Abbadon’s voice doubling over his, as if they were chanting in unison.

”Mutata in interitu, et domini. Nos quaerere potentia. Transferamus vas animam inanem, et reddere vitae statum. Ut sit vas tuum imple potestatem ad ministerium vestrum. Hanc vitam carnis et fingunt illam tuam. Famulórum, Tzeentch!”

As Peterson invokes the name of the God of Change, a blinding flash consumes everything in the room.

Cameron is suddenly jolted alert as a huge surge of power washes through the area. It did not come from the spire, but behind them. Cameron quickly turns around. A column of white and purple energy has erupted from the city below.

“What was that?”

Mary also leaps to her feet. The surge of power she felt is tainted with pure warp energy. Not the stuff all around them here in the Eye, but power fed straight from deep in the Warp itself.

“That can’t be good…”

Cameron rushes to the comms equipment.

“Fleet, Chapter Masters, report!”

For the moment, there is no reply but static.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 19, 2016, 05:22:37 PM »
Soul Reaver barely has time to nod in reply to Kitharsis before a sudden burst of malign power washes over him - a pulse of twisting Chaos energy, far more intense than the ambient energies encountered here within the eye.  He looks over his shoulder at the pillar of unwholesome light.  When he turns back to look at Kitharsis, his expression has hardened once more.

"We may have less time to prepare than we would have liked."

Spotting Cameron at the communication equipment, Soul Reaver sprints toward his location.  He can hear Cameron trying to connect to the fleet, with little luck.

Soul Reaver stands ready should Cameron call the companions to arms.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 04:15:57 AM by Soul Reaver »