Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: I am the Google King!  (Read 8963 times)

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
I am the Google King!
« on: June 03, 2010, 01:38:32 AM »
Allow me to present the following screenshot from today:

That's right - a common english phrase, with over 4 500 000 results, and mine is one of the very first results on the page.

It's even before the definition of the phrase.  Yay!

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
Re: I am the Google King!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 04:59:19 AM »
*In sinister, diabolical voice*

Perhaps you are the google king, but you shall never be able to own... Youtube!

*End voice*

Since your campaign's THIS large, doesn't it warrant a wikipedia page to itself? Not only does it help spread your campaign around, it just shows your dominance over Google! :D

How about it?
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 09:41:18 AM »
Yeah, wikipedia needs to be aware of the greatness.  Not some knot or knightclub.

But that is pretty spiffy, nice!

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 05:11:25 PM »
Since your campaign's THIS large, doesn't it warrant a wikipedia page to itself? Not only does it help spread your campaign around, it just shows your dominance over Google! :D

How about it?

I'm not really sure about starting my own wiki page about it.  I don't have a wikipedia account and no real knowledge of how to write a 'proper' article for it.  I have no hard data on exactly how popular TTBE is (and that's probably important in order to justify the existence of a wiki page for it - DotA is just about the only one that has its own entry), and lastly I'd feel kind of like I was tooting my own horn too much.  Plus the campaign's not finished yet.

If a page already existed I'd certainly edit/add content to it, but as it stands I'm not really certain if I should create one.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:04:02 AM »
I think we should set up a wiki for the Administorum in general, like the 40k wiki :D

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Warhammer_40k_Wiki

And then we can fill it with the information about the Administorum that we can use for reference when needed, as well as To the Bitter End.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
When/if they come out... Starcraft II custom campaigns. To the Bitter End's current reputation would probably carry on very well over to Starcraft II and it would appeal to a larger crowd at that point in time as well! 

Also, if advertised on the correct sites, we could offer sexual favors per 100 posts. :P

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
A wiki for the Administorum could be a possibility in the future, as long as someone other then just me helps build it. Don't really have time for projects now, though.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 06:18:50 PM »
When/if they come out... Starcraft II custom campaigns. To the Bitter End's current reputation would probably carry on very well over to Starcraft II and it would appeal to a larger crowd at that point in time as well! 

Also, if advertised on the correct sites, we could offer sexual favors per 100 posts. :P

I think I'd rather set myself on fire than try to convert all of TTBE to work with Starcraft II.  While I've heard the editor is awesome, I don't see how it's even remotely possible to convert TTBE without basically having to make the whole thing from scratch again (and re-learn a phenomenal amount of stuff).  It'd take 2 or 3 years at least.

I personally was hoping to pursue some other projects after I finish TTBE, not keep making it forever. :P

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 04:48:55 AM »
A wiki for the Administorum could be a possibility in the future, as long as someone other then just me helps build it. Don't really have time for projects now, though.
I think I will be able to help you, if I will find time.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 06:07:32 AM »

I think I'd rather set myself on fire than try to convert all of TTBE to work with Starcraft II.  While I've heard the editor is awesome, I don't see how it's even remotely possible to convert TTBE without basically having to make the whole thing from scratch again (and re-learn a phenomenal amount of stuff).  It'd take 2 or 3 years at least.

I personally was hoping to pursue some other projects after I finish TTBE, not keep making it forever. :P
Oh no, converting it entirely would be lame.  I did of course mean a new story entirely, seeing as how remaking an entire campaign on your own is tedious enough as it is.  However, if a new campaign was made (still would be another daunting task though) one could utilize the publicity of TTBE for links and whatnot.

A wiki would be interesting, since it might help me to do some research as well.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:59:18 AM »
You know, if this were carried out, that Blizzard would be the one reaping up all the benefits with all the cash they'll earn?

"Hey, TTBE on warcraft 3. Wow."
*Announcement that another adventure will be on starcraft 2*
"I must get starcraft 2!!!!"

And if reversed, they'll get warcraft 3...

...We should make our own game engine. Ehehehehe  ;)
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 02:53:55 PM »
That might actually be possible if we're still around by the time I graduate from both high school and college, since my career of choice will be programming. But I'd need the help of others.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »

id be willing to help with that, issue with trying to list info on stuff is since everyone (at least in regards to like the Epic BB) is from different worlds/planes/timelines/etc. heck, when it was being discussed on a possible name change and someone suggested The Multiverse that would pretty much highlight the problem here....multiple universe's...multiple people creating their own stories in said universes.  Like i said though, if someone can maybe give some good examples on how we could try to handle it I would be willing to try and devote some time to creating or at least helping out with a wiki.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 05:30:58 PM by Jharm »
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
That might actually be possible if we're still around by the time I graduate from both high school and college, since my career of choice will be programming. But I'd need the help of others.

I did mention that I was planning on moving onto some other projects after finishing TTBE....  :-X

id be willing to help with that, issue with trying to list info on stuff is since everyone (at least in regards to like the Epic BB) is from different worlds/planes/timelines/etc. heck, when it was being discussed on a possible name change and someone suggested The Multiverse that would pretty much highlight the problem here....multiple universe's...multiple people creating their own stories in said universes.  Like i said though, if someone can maybe give some good examples on how we could try to handle it I would be willing to try and devote some time to creating or at least helping out with a wiki.

Well, the whole point of a wiki is that a whole bunch of people can edit it.  I could write up stuff about the Mortal Plane, and Soul Reaver, and Inferno, and the Warp etc, while Clutch could write the bits about the Board Battles version of the Warhammer 40k Universe, etc etc.  Non-experts can write about these topics too, and the experts can fix it up should they choose to.

Since the board battles are a collaborative effort, a collaborative wiki would be the best way for it to be accurate.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 07:19:55 PM by Soul Reaver »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 11:32:10 PM »
I did mention that I was planning on moving onto some other projects after finishing TTBE.... 

Sorry, what?!!? Did you say something? it's a bit loud here!... You're going to make another TTBE? Great!!! :P

Ahaha, with the great new game engine we can recreate every single BB the forums have ever had!!!

Well, the whole point of a wiki is that a whole bunch of people can edit it.  I could write up stuff about the Mortal Plane, and Soul Reaver, and Inferno, and the Warp etc, while Clutch could write the bits about the Board Battles version of the Warhammer 40k Universe, etc etc.  Non-experts can write about these topics too, and the experts can fix it up should they choose to.

So, will we be sticking the biography of all Epic BB characters? I mean, those that have joined and left and those currently still here?

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2010, 07:29:17 AM »
I did mention that I was planning on moving onto some other projects after finishing TTBE.... 

Sorry, what?!!? Did you say something? it's a bit loud here!... You're going to make another TTBE? Great!!! :P

Ahaha, with the great new game engine we can recreate every single BB the forums have ever had!!!

So, will we be sticking the biography of all Epic BB characters? I mean, those that have joined and left and those currently still here?

My projects are various RPG/game type things that I wanted to work on.  They started off as pen and paper RPGs, strategy games, and gamebooks, but  I was going to use one as a basis to try and teach myself some programming and see if I can work on making a prototype game or two.  They're usually set in Dynaria in the Mortal Plane, but don't directly involve the events of the epic BB.

And yes, if we have a wiki we can stick in as many of the past characters (NPCs and PCs) as we want to.  That's the joy of a wiki - make a new page when you feel like writing something, edit something if you feel like editing/adding/correcting etc.  It's an eternal work-in-progress, but can get huge and extensive if some people work on it for a while.

I should know, we use one to record our procedures at work, and it's grown massive and incredibly useful.