Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Shadowhaunt: The black Crusade (Part I)  (Read 38154 times)

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
Re: Shadowhaunt: The black Crusade (Part I)
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2012, 09:10:09 AM »
 “I have said what I wanted, I will trust your judgment and I will pray we don’t regret it.” Rau threw one last glance at the necromancer, before he went under the cover of his hood.
   The priest looked around the room and saw the gray haired, mage from before the assault. Rau approached him and with a light bow began to introduce himself.
   “I believe we haven’t been introduced properly. I am father Rau it is a pleasure to meet you. I have come to ask of your opinion on our newest addition to the group, namely Lord William, the master of the dead, necromancer supreme and so forth.”
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2012, 10:50:07 AM »
All of these creatures are roaming free?  How in the world could Sir Walter and his tamers change the nature of such things?  What will happen to them once this crusade completes its task? 

It makes sense.  This William forsake his humanity for darkness.  It seems the apposite is true as well.  Something to meditate on.

"Perhaps you are correct, Wu...  I should save my appetite."

The Gorger is oddly calm.  The nature of a man, let alone a beast, does not change so suddenly.  The monk nods to the Gorger, then walks to the bone-made war table to investigate the map.

He stands in silence, looking not only for important landmarks, but for rivers, streams and lakes also.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2012, 08:21:26 PM »
"Ah, yes. you must be the priest sir Walter selected." seth said, turning to face father Rau. "Well, I can say this. I have served with Sir Walter for nearly forty years, and his judgement has rarely ever steered our war-band wrong. His logic is sound regarding this Lord William. A dog trapped in a cave doesn't take the stick that's propping the exit open until after he's gotten out. I think we may have to deal with him after this is all over, but for now he will be a strong ally."

"Ah, brother Wu." Walter said, welcoming the monk to the table. "Tell me, is there anything your expertise has to say about this?" he indicated the map. On it was marked in detail the complete landscape of the blacklands, indicating forests and rivers, but in even greater detail outlining concentrations of monsters, whether they be cave systems, villages, cities, or camps housing war-bands. Most notably a river seemed to run the stretch of the Blacklands, through the largest city of monsters on the map and towards Dracula's manor itself.

In the back of the hall, the soldiers were conversing. One conversation between a few of them in particular stood out.

"Hey, Axle, what was the last thing you ate?" A man adorned in knightly armor asked.

"A bat. Its wings are coming in handy." replied Axle. It was a ghoul, his eyes appearing to be rather sunken into his head. He wore what appeared to be rather rusted armor, but more than likely its state of disrepair was because he never truly needed it as a ghoul.

"uhhh....Bats tasty..." Noted a lumbering mountain of a monstrosity. It appeared to be a large humanoid patchwork, seeming to still be modeled after a human, rather than having hideous and grotesque 'modifications'. He was massive, however, and his custom-made armor looked more like someone had taken apart a steel house and beaten it into shape around him. he stood nearly nine feet tall and his skin was a palish green. On his back was the largest sword anyone had ever seen. it was a greatsword, even by the monstrosity's standards. The fact that it would take two of his gargantuan hands to wield said much for its size and weight.

"But...They too tiny to be more than appetizers..."

"Maybe to you, Zoltan." Axle said, looking up to the monstrosity. "But at my size they're nice snacks."

"Well, Zoltan had something to eat after that fight on the beach all right." Chimed in Shani as she approached, adjusting the greathammer on her back.

"Yeah. I'm surprised you didn't have a bite or two, miss regal werewolf." The knight said, looking up at the woman approaching.

"Sorry Athen, no full moon tonight. None of them looked appetizing."

"Man, something about a female werewolf's transformation is so....Pleasing." said what appeared to be a Nordic berserker. He wore nothing from the chest up save for bracers on his wrists, and his legs were covered merely by leather breeches and a fur belt, a long stretch of which stretched down to his knees on the front and on the back like a loincloth. His feet were shod in rough leather boots, and on his belt were a pair of vicious looking enchanted steel axes. His torso was covered in scars of all kinds, from claws to blades, and his fiery red hair stretched down to his neck, his thick beard resting square in the center of his chest.

"Hush, Wrynjolf, if you want to keep your manhood." Shani growled, glaring at the Nord, who merely laughed, taking a swig of ale afterward.

The men, women and monsters of the unit clearly knew each other well, well enough that differentiations such as nationality, gender and even species meant little.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:23:03 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #63 on: June 15, 2012, 09:50:22 PM »
The Gorger listened in on the coversation between his fellow "monsters" and began to piece things together.  The ghoul they referred to as Axle spoke of having the ability to sprout wings, simply from eating a bat?  Interesting indeed.  It all was beginning to make sense.  His ability to grow claws and fangs came shortly after he devoured a werewolf only days ago.  The vampire he had eaten had given him no such powers, as they are merely undead humans, and the same went for the barrow wight.  He then thought on the many warriors he had devoured... the many, many brave men he had consumed.  Perhaps the sheer volume allowed him growth in his own form; does that mean then, should he eat a second werewolf... he would be able to transform further?  He had much to think on with this new information.  Either way, he needed confirmation, and it seemed "Axle" was more learned than he.

Though the thought disgusted him, The Gorger was slowly coming to the conclusion that being a good lap dog would earn him more freedoms.  He stifled a grin at the thought of what he would do with those freedoms...

The Gorger approached the social circle, mustering a smile to the sheep before him.  "Hello, fellow... crusaders." He tugged lightly at his collar with his claw.  "As you can see, I'm the new guy.  I've no name except those that are given to me, so call me what you will."  His eyes were instinctively drawn to Zoltan.  He nudged Axle, and whispered.  "If he goes down, I don't suppose you've already claimed the leftovers, hm?"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 10:14:24 PM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #64 on: June 18, 2012, 01:41:33 PM »
"I dare not say I have expertise in anything, merely practice."  Wu replies with a slight grin.

"As you can see, Sir Walter, this river," he points at the larger river running the span of the Blacklands, "carries on through the darkness and further on towards our objective.  It heads straight for the largest city of monsters, and seemingly meets Dracula's manor head on."

He pauses for a moment and pulls his pipe from a pocket and lights it.  A large puff of smoke escapes his mouth before he continues.

"But you will notice that for all of the mighty river's efforts, the camps and cities of the monsters still stand.  As admirable as a direct assault would be, it would be folly.  But you have already thought of this, breaking apart this elite band from the main army.  As the bulk of the troops tary forward,"  He follows the path of the main river with the stem of his pipe, "we shall strike where they are not expecting."  He points the stem at a side stream of the main river.  It passes through a few small villages and it too arrives at the base of Dracula's manor.  Despite their small size the map notes the villages' importance.  Some house weapons, some hold monsters of particular danger, and others are important choke points that will be easily defensible once taken.

"I can tell you have thought of all of this already, if not by different reasoning."  Wu points at a small creek that passes by William's tower.  It travels further into the Blacklands and connects to the side stream he pointed out a moment ago.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #65 on: June 19, 2012, 08:06:14 AM »
“I understand. I still feel uneasy, knowing the necromancers’ source of power, but I will bear with it. Now I shall take my leave.” Said Rau before he turned around and headed over to the war table.

As the priest approached the war table, he overheard Wu’s analysis of the map.

“If we use the rivers we won’t leave any tracks, but we can still be spotted by sentries. Not to mention what the rivers might hold in store for us. Also if we have to fight in the water,” Rau looked at The Gorger. “It may turn out to be inconvenient to some of our companions and reduce our overall strength. Tough I don’t have a better suggestion we must consider all possibilities.”

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #66 on: June 19, 2012, 10:26:00 AM »
"Few as we are, we would make far too much noise traveling through the water.  And while I would be quite at home, it would hinder most far more than necessary.  I agree that we should not travel directly through the streams and rivers, Father Rau."

Wu bows to Father Rau.  "I was merely making a suggestion to follow their path.  Although I must admit, I am a tad biased."

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #67 on: June 20, 2012, 11:52:04 AM »
"What, him? No, I think I'd die before he would. And that'd only be after Wrynjolf here dropped. Crazy bastard." Axle said, laughing as she clapped the berserker on the shoulder. The berserker laughed in turn, but after the laughter died down, the groups eyes turned to the Gorger.

"Well...I guess we should probably introduce ourselves." Athen said, leaning back and taking a breath. "I'm Ser Athen of Highbreak, Crusader of the Empire, renowned for my efforts in border skirmishes and my skill with the sword and shield."

"I'm Shani. They call me 'the dragonhearted' because I'm not afraid to kick the balls out of anyone who treats me like any other woman. I'm a werewolf, and my hammer here is called the nutcracker for good reason." Shani said, nodding.

"Me....Zoltan..."

"I'm Wrynjolf, Nordheim berserker. That's all there really is to know."

"And I'm Axle. In the same position as you are, I suppose." the ghoul said, looking at The Gorger. "Though I'm a bit further along."

"And that quiet man sitting over in the corner." Athen said, pointing to the akavashi assassin who stood nearby. "Is Akaga. Stealthiest assassin I've seen the Akavashi produce in ages."

"So. What's your story?" Axle asked, looking back at the Gorger.

-----------------------------------

"Yes, I agree. it seems that We'll have to take the long route. The main army marches to the black city." Walter said, indicating the largest city in the map, surrounded by walls and populated by every monster in existence. "But our job is to reach Dracula's manor and kill him." The manor was on the northernmost edge of the blacklands, while the black city was dead center in the map. "If we cut off the head of the beast, the rest will fall in time."

Seth approached, his walking stick clicking off the floor as he leaned over the map. His eyes shone white for a moment as he used his magical senses to observe the true landscape of the realm based off of this map. He was left stumbling to the ground, Sir walter rushing to pick him up.

"What did you see?" Walter asked, helping the aged wizard to his feet.

"I saw....So many things..This land is full of surprises..." Seth said, poring over the map. He laid his finger on a point not far from their own location.

"This place....I saw magic here....Not dark and unclean like those of demons and warlocks." He said, glancing briefly at lord William, who merely shrugged. "But pure, and bright. I do not know its source, but I feel that is where we should go next."

"Then go there we shall." Walter said, marking the location down on the map. "But we won't go as a whole. Some of us will remain here to guard the tower and make ready. I must think on who we take with us."

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #68 on: June 21, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
The Gorger chuckled.  "Oh, I do love story time.  I woke up, the leader of a horde of ghouls.  We all wore the armor of crusaders - our mental leash was tight, not even allowing communication from one to another.  Shortly after..." the massive ghoul thought back on his first raids on the village - of which he still did not know the name - and that crusader that thwarted him on several occasions, Matthias.  He remembered the look on the man's face as The Gorger finally emerged victorious in battle, the holy warrior finally exhausted well beyond his breaking point, having sacrificed his well being to save what villagers he could from the ghoul's latest scheme.  Matthias, however, did not look upon The Gorger with anger, hatred, or despair... but with a warm smile, as his life bled away.  The image still haunted The Gorger's twisted thoughts.

The Gorger snapped out of his thoughts.  Perhaps his stories from the village were not the best of icebreakers, as he reminded himself to be a "good boy" in order to attain the freedoms he sought.  His faded smile returned. "Well... suffice it to say I was very well fed a short time ago.  Ah yes, that reminds me... The Gorger is what they called me; both Matthias Hilder and Alexander, if their names ring a bell."

A thought just occurred to him.  "Axle, was it?  Do you recall anything... before you were turned?"
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:45:02 PM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #69 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »
"Wherever I can assist, I will be ready."  Wu says to Sir Walter.

He excuses himself from the bony map leaving a trail of pipe smoke behind him.  The recent events require some meditation.  Using William's tower as a base of operations still sits uneasy with Wu.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #70 on: June 22, 2012, 12:05:49 AM »
“Holy energies?” Rau could not hide his surprise “How is that possible? We are in the middle of the black lands, if there was something powerful enough to emit such energies the church should have known about it” The priest tries to remember something looking into his own memories, from all the books he read. Was it an artifact someone left behind? Or was it a holy seal? There was only one way to find out. “I request to assist in reaching the source of this magic. I may be able to shed some light on what it is when I see it with my own eyes.”

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #71 on: June 24, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »
Axle went silent for a moment, his eyes focused on nothing, remembering something painful.

"Yes. That was actually a key part of me remembering what it was to be human. When I had recovered my memories, I experienced the joy of life, how it felt to love, laugh, and have a purpose other than your next meal. I think....I think that's a key point for many monsters on their path to recovery; remembering what it was like to be human. Unfortunately, people like Zoltan and Hggranath, the Nuckelavee over there talking with one of the ghouls, didn't have a life as a human. It's a lot more difficult to bring them to humanity. But I feel that eventually, when this war is over, humans and monsters will live together. Sounds silly, I know, but I look around at just what this unit has done, and I have hope for the thought."

The others went silent for a moment, lowering their heads, all of them knowing they felt the same.

Over at the table Walter ran numbers in his head and decided who would come with him.

"Hggranath's skills would go to waste cooped up in a tower. I need men who are strong and quick on their feet, with experience. I also need...Alright." He turned and called out, his voice carrying with that same tone of leadership it always did.

"Alright! I'm taking a portion of our force with me to investigate an anomaly! Axle, Athen, Wrynjolf, Zoltan, Shani, Hggranath, Akaga, Gorger, Jarl Halfskir! Gather your gear, we move shortly." he turned to the table. "Seth, I want you, Rau, and Sun Wu to accompany us as well. We need your magical expertise, and father Rau's holy fervor may yet steel us for whatever awaits. Sun Wu, we may need the tenacity of the river, so come ready."

"Of course, sir." Seth said, bowing his head and going to fetch his things.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #72 on: June 25, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »
It took a great deal of The Gorger's strength to resist lashing his tongue at the elder ghoul.  Many words came to mind.  Whipped dog.  Slave.  Brainwashed zealot.  The one reason he was able to resist, is the faint light of hope that Axle had brought to his attention:  it was indeed possible to restore his memory.  The only question that now remained was simple.  After turning, after all he had done, and all the cravings of his new body... did The Gorger truly want his memories restored?  Would they turn him soft?  Perhaps he would simply let the vampire lord he had slain only nights ago die along with those memories.

Sir Walter made his call to arms, and The Gorger's name turned up.

The Gorger stood, deciding to meet the others at the map.  It seemed the others in the group he had just met received the same calling.  "Good... for a moment there, I thought we'd cower in this hole for ages."

As he arrived at the table with Sir Walter and the others, he looked at the location everyone seemed to be muttering about on the map.  "Do we get to kill whatever's inside this time?" It was clear he was still bitter about being forbidden from gnawing on William's bones.  He then noticed Rau and Sun Wu were already at the table long before himself.  The priest seemed particularly involved.  "Why the devil's he so excited?  Are we going to choir practice?"

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2012, 05:42:34 AM »
Rau nodded in acceptance and continued to contemplate what could be the cause of the anomaly. He quickly dismissed the thought of it being a person. There is no reason for someone to be in the middle of these wastelands. To begin with, how on earth would a person manage to get here, If he did get here, than what? Is this a barrier? If it is why is it so big? You wouldn’t want the barrier to be noticed and you would want it to be as strong as possible so a small one would be better. This makes no sense at all; it must not have been a man. The only other viable option would be an artifact. It still makes little sense. Lesser undead would be repelled naturally, by feeling unease the closer they get, but for any strong monsters the energies would be a guiding light to the artifact. There is no way it remained unnoticed for so long. What could possible stop them from reaching it?

“Ah, a guardian!” suddenly Rau let out his voice. He looked at everyone’s surprised faces and continued “I believe that there is an artifact there, which is protected by a guardian. I might be wrong, but this is the only explanation that makes some sense to me.”

"Do we get to kill whatever's inside this time?"… "Why the devil's he so excited?  Are we going to choir practice?"

Rau was already agitated, because he couldn’t figure out a convincing reason why the artifact was there, if it is an artifact and now to top it off even the filthy ghoul was making fun of him. Needless to say the priest was pissed.

“You especially will love the place we are going to. Everything there will be infused with so much holy energies that if you eat it chances are it will burn a hole through your body and fall out. So unless you want me to feed you something like that I suggest you keep your remarks to yourself and try and figure out why you are the only one with a leash here.”

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2012, 05:28:02 PM »
A plume of smoke shoots out of Wu's grinning mouth. A moment of meditation has cleared his mind slightly.

"Yes, Sir Walter. I will bring all aspects of the river for this task. I pray this well of Holy energy proves as helpful as our new friend William."

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2012, 04:25:52 PM »
Sir Walter hefted his hammer over his shoulder and strode towards the entrance, past those left on guard.

"It will be roughly a night's march before we arrive. I suggest all of you make sure you are fully prepared. Meet me outside when you are ready." With that Sir walter exited, though his imposing presence still seemed to fill the room.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
While The Gorger usually enjoyed the priests' bursts of outrage, there was one detail he mentioned that bothered him.  "Holy what?!" he glared at Walter's back as he left the building.  Sir Walter had chosen The Gorger for a mission where they were hunting a mysterious holy energy; what was his aim? 

The Gorger muttered several curses under his breath.  Again, visions of slaying that man once and for all became vivid.  His lack of ability to act on such impulses made the priest's words stick like a dagger in his ribs.

"Tell me then, priest," The Gorger's voice was low and solemn as he glared into the priest's eyes, "do you know what it is to be a slave?" Doubtful of the priest's answer, he slowly turned to follow Sir Walter.  It would be best to get this over with quickly.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 01:04:19 AM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #77 on: July 07, 2012, 03:05:42 AM »
Rau answered The Gorger’s glare with his own. The priest would never consider a creature without humanity to be any higher than an animal. In his thoughts he wanted to say to the ghoul that the only thing he is a slave to is his hunger, but Rau’s anger had already faded and he saw no purpose in continuing this meaningless quarrel. After all he said all he wanted.

Putting his hood on and following in Sir Walter’s steps, Rau was walking outside and thinking why he didn’t shout back at the ghoul. It was then that he realized that it wasn’t simply because the anger had faded. He pitied the ghoul. Even though he was a slave to his hunger, what would Rau do in his place? Would he have fought and won against it, or would it have conquered him the same way?

Rau stopped for a second and smirked at himself. He had never thought that a day would come when he would consider what it is like to be a ghoul. It was all clear to him now. If the ghoul went down the wrong way, he would simply strike it down, without hesitation, and that is all.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2012, 09:48:37 AM »
Father Rau and The Gorger were bickering as usual.  Oil and vinegar, those two are.  Wu follows behind them without word.  He exhales the last of the smoke from his pipe and smacks the bowl against his palm, emptying out the ashes.

A full night's march to get to this Holy presence.  In this land, covering that much distance surely never goes unimpeded.  Wu pauses and closes his eyes for a moment.  He gathers his Chi and feels it flow through his body like a river.  Rather than waste it he retrieves the bottle of water from his pocket.  He gathers the Chi in his palm and pushes it into the bottle.  The water inside swirls as the Chi mixes with it.

Wu opens his eyes and returns the bottle to his pocket.  Satisfied, he continues walking outside, following the lingering presence of Sir Walter.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2012, 05:47:20 PM »
When all had gathered outside, Sir Walter began the march. The soldiers following behind him, Sir Walter made his way through the dark and dismal forest. Seth followed beside him at all times, and the two conversed as they walked, discussing plans and strategies, as well as the possible nature of what they were searching for. It went on like this for some time, the others continuing to march behind them. The group as a whole was at least glad they had a reprieve from enemy monsters. For the moment. Akaga stood at the back of the group, quiet as always, as the soldiers conversed as they walked.

"They said we were searching for something magical. Clearly it's a holy relic." Ser Athen said, nodding his head.

"But then why the hell is it here in the Blacklands? there's no way." Axle said, scratching his dry chin.

"Perhaps it's a relic from a time before this. When the monsters didn't control half of the known world..." Shani offered, walking along beside them.

"Maybe..But then how'd it survive this long?" Wrynjolf asked.

"Maybe....It good at hiding?"

"I ssssupossssse we'll find out when we get there..." Came the hissing voice of Hggranath as the Nuckelavee cantered up beside the small party.

"I was wondering when you'd get here, Horseman." Wrynjolf said.

"Hussssh yourssself, Nord. I've been here. You're jusssst to drunk to notice..."

"Maybe I am, at that. Or too sober." Wrynjolf said, taking a drink of ale.