Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Poll

Would you be interested in participating in the Shadowhaunt board battle?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Shadowhaunt - timid suggestions from a lore fanatic.  (Read 9044 times)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
Shadowhaunt - timid suggestions from a lore fanatic.
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:07:50 PM »
Well, I was talking to Cameron and I told him about this idea I had for a battle. Well, as green-blooded as I am on this server, I didn't really want to put this forward myself, but he suggested I give it a shot, so here we go.

My idea was a Throwback to old trannsylvanian/scottish/irish mythos, involving Vampires, Ghouls, Dullahans, Nuckalavees, etc. With a more traditional view taken to them.

Vampires -- Ancient, undead creatures, born of another vampire drinking of a virgin of the opposite sex in the moonlight. Vampires gain power through the blood, as the blood is the currency of the soul. The more entities they drain of blood, the more familiars they gain in the shape of their victims, so long as they do not become ghouls or vampires. The greatest of vampires, count Dracula, was reported to have thousands of familiars, making him almost invincible, as each familiar is essentially another life that the vampire has. One must end each life before the Vampire can finally be slain. So long as the Familiars are contained within the vampire, that is. When the familiars are called out from the vampire's form, the castle is essentially emptied, leaving the king alone to be slain. Each familiar held within the body is another life, each without, a vicious minion. Vampires possess a frightening ability to transform themselves into black demon dogs, bats and other similar creatures of the night. They are a dominant creature of the Transylvanian mythos, along with werewolves and ghouls.

Ghouls -- The victims of Vampires who are not completely drained of blood, ghouls remain alive, but altered. They crave living flesh, finding all dead meat to be tasteless and mute. And each living creature they devour, they assimilate into their life, prolonging their lifespan and putting their traits and forms into their repertoire. When need be, Ghouls can call upon the traits of the creatures they have devoured, or even transform completely into one of them. For instance, a ghoul who has eaten a lizard can call upon their camouflage, or wall scaling ability, or can simply turn completely into a Lizard.

Dullahans -- Headless horsemen. Warriors, men and women, who are cursed into a job of reaping souls and a neverending unlife. Dullahans carry a weapon of their choice and a whip, as well as their head, usually in their hand or on their belt.. They ride undead horses, and bear a deathly appearance, their armor made of blackened metal or bone. The dullahan's whip is actually a human corpse's spine, and the wagons they sometimes use are made of similarly funereal objects (e.g. candles in skulls to light the way, the spokes of the wheels made from thigh bones, the wagon's covering made from a worm-chewn pall). When the dullahan stops riding, it is where a person is due to die. The dullahan calls out their name, at which point they immediately perish. This is known as the Death Knell, a blasphemous curse native to the Dullahan.

A dullahan's weakness, however, is Gold. Gold is the bane of their existence, and even a gold pin can drive away the deathless riders. Gold blades, though normally useless, drive through the dullahan's armour like butter, rending them limb from limb and finally bringing them death.

Nuckalavees --  A creature from Northern folklore, the Nuckelavee is the most horrible of all the Scottish elves. He lives mainly in the sea, but was also held responsible for ruined crops, epidemics, and drought. His breath could wilt the crops and sicken the livestock.

He resembles a centaur whose legs are part fin; he has an enormous gaping mouth and a single giant eye, which burns with a red flame. The most gruesome detail of his appearance is the fact that he has no skin. Black blood courses through yellow veins, and the pale sinews and powerful muscles are visible as a pulsating mass. The Nuckelavee has an aversion to running water, and those who are chased by him have only to cross a stream to be rid of him. Some reports claim that he is simply a very large head on two small arms, with all of the other characteristics mentioned above.

Another phobia that the Nuckelavee suffers from is the burning of seaweed to create kelp. Enraged, he starts on a wild rampage of plague, killing cattle and many other creatures, and bringing bad crops. At this time, the only person to stop him is The Mither o'the Sea, another ancient God-like being of Orkney mythology.

And a number of other creatures I would pull from these mythos and possibly a few others, like Norse, Greek, etc, as well as normal humans who hunt supernaturals, vampire hunters, inquisitors, paladins, etc. Though the four above will probably be the most prevalent.

The plot of the battle is basically that of a holy crusade, with 'tamed' vampires, ghouls, dullahans, etc, fighting alongside human crusaders and vampire hunters, to defeat the dark, evil denizens of these disturbing mythos, and their greatest leaders, such as Dracula, Fenrir, etc.

Not all of the creatures I bring in would likely be evil, I'd most likely add some of the more good natured faeries and the like.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:17:06 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
Re: Shadowhaunt - timid suggestions from a lore fanatic.
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 10:15:36 PM »
I figured some of you may want pictures of the creatures I put up, if you don't know about them.

Vampires -- You all know Dracula, so I'll put forward a better one: Alucard, still dracula, but a more badass, tamed version.

Ghouls -- Renfield, also of Dracula fame.

Dullahans -- Figured I should get a couple of pictures for this one.

Nuckalavees - This one is probably the most unknown one I listed.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 10:32:17 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »
Sounds nifty to me!  I'd like to hear more about the setting, story, and gameplay when you get some time.  And even though you're about as green as I am on this board, you're also active.  I'd be totally down for it.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 09:57:09 PM »
The setting is actually still in debate. I was thinking of perhaps approaching medieval earth, but that doesn't seem broad enough for me.

The idea eventually came to mind of the world of Nocturna, which is similar to medieval Earth, but of course with its own countries, peoples, races, etc.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 01:06:30 PM »
I am not a fan of mixing everything in one bow, but if i like the setting you come up with i would like to join.

P.S. Where are the cute fuzzy werewolfs? Show puppies some love!
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 04:22:30 PM »
There will be werewolves. I plan to have Fenrir be a boss character in one of the storylines, probably the raid on Dracula's castle.

More than likely I'll have it be in Nocturna, because that allows for more freedom with landscape and geography.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
This is a great idea!  This setting could be favorably dark and unforgiving.  It seems like it would have a fun Van Helsing vibe to it. 

Will the players be strictly human?  Or can we be vampires/werewolves/whatevskies?

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 07:15:10 PM »
No, you can be monsters of many sorts. As I said, the overarching story is a grand crusade by holy human warriors and tamed monsters of the night against the rampaging, wild creatures.

You'll be able to play a tamed monster or a human, though the monsters always have some sort of ability capacitor, such as a vampire's clothing being enchanted with hermetic magic to restrict their powers, or a Nuckalavee wearing a collar that induces a pain response whenever it goes against its master, etc. etc.

Though at times it may be called for for the monster's human masters to unleash their full potential. Then all hell breaks loose.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
K. Nopw that I've got the poll up I'm going to put down the human side of the story.

In the world of Nocturna there have long been three factions of man, in a war with the monsters of the night.

The Holy Empire, devoted to the God of light, Lumos, and his holy sect. Rugged, hearty people of the temperate lands of central Nocturna, they harness the power of the holy light, damaging positive energy that repels the dark forces of the world. Mighty witch hunters and Crusaders, they bring to bear armour, elegant longswords, and crossbows bearing silver tipped bolts against the enemy, as well as bringing the healing warmth of the holy light to their allies. The elite sect of the Holy Empire, the Monster Hunters, forsake armor for speed, wearing leather trenchcoats, hats, and other light clothing, often enchanted to bolster protection, and bring the holiest of relics and weapons to bear against the enemy.

The Nords of the north, an ancient people of fair skin and mighty build, who harness the power of the natural world around them as they worship the pantheon of gods they call the Vaegirs. Often wearing little in the way of armour, they bring to the battlefield mighty, natural magic and devastating offensive prowess in their berserk warriors. Nords are some of the few who have mastered the art of enchanting weapons that are not made of bane-metals such as silver and gold, and giving them the deadly monster-slaying prowess that these rare metals naturally provide. They specialize in axes, hammers, and throwing weapons such as javelins, throwing axes, and the like. The Nords live in roaming villages and communities, meeting occasionally for a mighty feast in the name of Tempest, the god of gods in the Pantheon, the allfather who watches down from on high.

And the Akavashi, the agile warriors of the south. A spiritual people, they balance nature and the spirit world and bring it forward to deadly effect against the monsters. Single-edged Katanas and supple, scaled armour make up their selection of armaments, using longbows and spears to deadly effect as well. They house elite Monster hunting monks as well, who forsake all weapons and armour for the sake of lightning speed and reflexes, and a unique ability called Chi focus. These monks have learned to channel their own natural energy into deadly force that slaughters the monsters of the night.

All of these peoples fight for survival against the monsters of the night, and among them, one group spans all cultures; the Tamers.

Mighty warriors of extreme physical and magical prowess, the Tamers make their way into war with the monsters of the night at their call. They capture and tame these creatures, teach them their ways, engender loyalty and respect in them, and fight alongside them in the war. Tamers are respected and venerated all across the human lands, often being generals and commanders in the armies they are part of.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 05:21:36 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »
Just letting you know, i went ahead and removed the poll, according to the Suggestion guildlines the Administrator will be the one to open a poll for your board battle Shadow Chorus.  On a side note, sounds like a pretty interesting concept I must say.
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2011, 06:05:17 PM »
I have replaced the poll. Sorry about the confusion. if you previously voted in the poll, please vote again.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 10:18:25 PM »
Just letting you know, i went ahead and removed the poll, according to the Suggestion guildlines the Administrator will be the one to open a poll for your board battle Shadow Chorus.  On a side note, sounds like a pretty interesting concept I must say.

Yeah, I knew I was gonna do something wrong in the course of this.

Still, glad you like it. I've been brainstorming more lore for each of the three cultures and the monsters as a whole.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 12:58:04 PM »
decided i may want to post the relationships between the three human factions.

Each of the three peoples of Nocturna distrust the others, but they all recognize that working together is necessary for survival.

The Holy Empire views the gods of the Nords as heathen, and the ways of the people barbaric. They have been known to make snide remarks to them or to talk behind their back, believing them to be too stupid to take insult. Still, they recognize the value of Nordic berzerkers on the battlefield, and of the quality of a Nordic Axe, or a weapon-enchantment.

The Empire views the Akavashi with a mixture of awe and caution. Viewing them as elegant and mystical, but also mysterious and cryptic, they keep a guarded stance toward them. Never sure where an Akavashi stands, Imperials choose their words carefully around the strangers from the south.

The Nords view the Empire as a bunch of pompous inbreds.  Their tongues are free with friendly insults around them, challenging them to a good brawl even on the field of battle. The nords truly hold no grudge with anyone, but find that the Imperials need to learn a thing or two about strength and bravery.

The Nords see the Akavashi as great warriors, but fragile. They don't understand why they would go about with all that stealth and trickery when they could simply charge in and hack the enemy to pieces. They'll take any opportunity they can get to get an Akavashi to take part in a fair fight with them, if only to test their mettle against them, especially the warrior monks.

Akavashi peoples view the Empire as overzealous and prideful. They accede that the Empire houses the greatest tacticians but stresses that they know nothing of elegance, thinking the Imperials simply lack the refinement they could have.

Conversely, they see nords as brutish, yet wise. They are confused as to how a people so rowdy and noisy can be so in tune with natural magic, but they envy them that skill. The druids and wizards of the Nords are viewed with respect among the Akavashi, though the frontline warriors are seen as brutes. Nevertheless, the enchanters and huscarls of the Nordic peoples are frequently given warm welcomes among the southerners whenever they should be visiting the southlands.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 08:07:41 PM »
This battle has been APPROVED and the poll has been closed.

Shadow Chorus, you are now a Battle Master and are authorized to proceed with character creation. The Inquisitor Jharm has been assigned to you and will assist with any administrative actions that you require. Please contact him or I with any questions.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2011, 09:45:01 PM »
Expect a character application from me soon!  I'm thinking a tanky crusader or huscarl that primarily uses his shield in combat, but I'm still considering options.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 12:47:17 AM »
The board is ready for character creation, for those who don't know yet. Get your characters ready. It's gonna be a crazy ride.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2011, 06:33:30 PM »
I'm brainstorming a character idea but don't have anything written down yet. Leaning towards werewolf.

Bark. Bark. Rip. Shred.   
Howl.

And all that.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
I put a rough up of my character history in Character Discussion for people to look over.  I figure if I do this it will allow people to consider the possibility of conjoining character histories, and/or make sure my character doesn't suck ahead of time through feedback.  If you guys have any ideas, that would be awesome. :3