Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis (The Bulwark of Heaven)- OOC Thread  (Read 37147 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
Re: The Legion Immortalis (The Bulwark of Heaven)- OOC Thread
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2010, 12:56:27 PM »
@ Faran: You are going to need to edit your post. The NPCs are there for you to interact with and benefit from, but you may not god-mod their words or actions.
To elaborate, reference the Official Board Battle Rules, Rule 8. The relevant section is quoted below for your convenience.

Unless otherwise specified by the Battle Master, you should only be posting your character's actions and your character's reaction to other character's actions and Battle Master actions. You should NEVER dictate what happens to another character or to any NPCs or enemies as a result of your actions. You can't just decide to kill people outright, or make another player's character or an NPC do what you want them to do.
Please let either Faidth or I know if you have any questions regarding this policy.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2010, 01:50:02 PM »
n00b

But in all seriousness, writing in the style of the boards takes some getting used to.  Rather than telling a story you are participating in one.  Such as in real life, you can only react to or perform actions towards other people.  You can't will your girlfriend to shut off the tv and make you a sandwich in real life (unless you have her trained well, but I digress) any more than you can make an NPC hop onto the end of your sword on the boards.

There are exceptions in the case of the boards when the Battle Host dictates.  These are usually battles with throwaway NPCs, or conversations with minor townsfolk.  But on all other occasions you only have control of your own character.

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2010, 02:59:01 PM »
I apologize for my actions. I thought that I could take more liberties with NPCs that the rules actually stated. For perspective, I was once part of a similar "board battle" a long time ago. Link is here: http://tinyurl.com/2eqwcwc . On that board the liberties I took with Cleo's character would have been a commonplace thing. I realize that that board is not this board and I will restrain myself in the future.

Please understand that it was not my intention to portray Cleo as "evil", just a bit vindictive. After all, as you have pointed out Faidth, I had just insulted her duty as security of the Bulwark. I had estimated that "getting even" was within her character. My intent was to inflict some comedy onto my character, who was obviously being an arrogant bastard. It seemed right and harmless to me. Obviously I was wrong and I apologize for that and will take a lot more caution with everyone's characters in the future.

And my biggest flub to date on this board is in not reading the rules. I had arrogantly waltzed in and figured my past experience would suffice. I am more wrong than anything else on this point. I will read the rules now, twice. Please understand that what I wrote was for entertainment value and not an attempt to tear down what is a very good character. I will edit my post once I have grabbed a shower.

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2010, 03:12:47 PM »
Correction: As per Rule 8, I will not touch anyone's character at all.

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2010, 03:18:59 PM »
Edits made. I have erased any action Cleo made that wasn't already going on in the scene. Once again I hope everyone can forgive me.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
@Faran: Not a problem at all! Kith is right; writing on the boards does take some getting used to. While Faran did indeed insult Cleo, I am intending on painting her as a powerful, but extremely empathetic character, as you will see evidenced later. Don't worry; you weren't stepping on any toes. I sincerely want all players to have an excellent time of this BB, and don't worry... Faran will get plenty of opportunities to inject some humor into his posts. Knowing you, I'm sure you'll go above and beyond in that regard.  :)   There may even be occasions where I let you god-mod characters such as lesser enemies; think of it as taking your liberties with "extras" from Exalted. When this is allowed, I will notify you in the OOC thread. However, when it comes to named NPCs, they usually serve a greater purpose in helping to perpetuate the story.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 04:53:58 PM by Faidth »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 11:44:33 PM »
Kitharsis: Good to see another Wheel of Time fan.

Faidth: I kind of want to cut to the chase, mechanically speaking. If Faran walks out on this, am I out of this story?

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:15 AM »
Hey, final exam today. I'll edit my post later on alright? Sorry about that Faidth
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 01:21:45 AM »
@John: Not a problem. :)

@Faran: I can find a deus ex machina to work you into the story, but the Seer is literally THE gateway. The only way for Faran to get into Avalon is through her, and she's not going to make you go if you don't want to. If you walk out the door, she will make no attempt to pursue you. You have a couple options here. 1.) The other party members can attempt to persuade you to go or 2.) You can leave, likely get captured, and I can send them to liberate you. The second would be a bit more involved, but I can do it if you want to.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 10:06:19 AM »
@Faran: I almost forgot... There is an option #3. They will eventually be fighting the Forsaken. I can have them stumble upon you again at that point, but it won't be for a bit yet, and you'll probably miss a lot of exposition in-character.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 11:47:26 AM »
@John: I edited your post to correct the "turkey leg." It is Cleo who has plopped herself upon the pillow with said spoil, and Faile who was given the plate of fish. Minor detail, and I would have just had you edit it, but it was so miniscule that I just took care of it for you.

@All of you: Just wanted to let you know a few things.

1. I know Danyael is still working on a character and I'm just going to let him tell me when he is ready to be added in. It may not be until after you have reached Avalon.

2. Castellan should have his character up soon. It sounds like he's almost done with it. As soon as he posts it, we're going to proceed to Avalon. Faran, at that point I need to hear from you to figure out how we should proceed with your character, and whether you will be joining the party now or later. Do whatever would best fit with your character.

3. By the end of today, I plan on updating the NPC thread with Cleo's info., at least what you have learned about her thus far.

4. I will also be adding a Lorebook. In the Lorebook you will find bits on the history of the Ageless, important events, general information about the setting, other races, etc. Every now and then, one of the NPCs may tell you a story or direct you to said tome. You will find the information available for you there.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 12:20:44 PM »
Edited, with a new post made. Hurrah! Exams are over!

And woops, my fault :S
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 12:26:43 PM »
Congrats on Scout Sergeant, John. :)

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 12:35:51 PM »
o.o Whoa, that's fast. Lol, thanks :) Loving every moment of the setting, and it's only the beginning :D

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2010, 09:25:29 PM »
Quick question: Cleo's mention of the fact that she won't invade minds unless invited... was that out loud? I was under the impression it was a one-to-one mind to mind convo. Am I mistaken?

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »
Fairly certain that was out loud. I wasn't corrected otherwise.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
I think I had originally intended it to be conveyed via telepathy, but I had forgotten to switch back to italics to imply it. Thus, yes, it would have been out loud.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2010, 11:37:15 PM »
Oh and yeah Faran, Wheel of Time!  Once I thought of Faile from those books I couldn't get the name out of my head, so it stuck.  I stopped around the 7th or 8th book.  Great series from what I read so far.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #38 on: July 16, 2010, 01:56:26 PM »
The NPC entry for Cleo Seer has been update with what you have learned so far. As you learn more about her, the entry will be updated. I have also included information regarding pursuing Cleo as a romance option, should you see fit.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: July 16, 2010, 05:45:57 PM »
Sooooo, Danyael and Castellan are still pending, and I don't want to hold the rest of you up, so here's what's going to happen:

Either tonight or tomorrow, I am going to move you all on to Avalon. Cleo's going to open up the gate for you and send you to the next stage of the story. Whenever the other characters finish making their characters, they will be transported to wherever you are at the time.