Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 1)  (Read 33861 times)

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 1)
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2010, 07:00:58 AM »
Fenwick can barely move as the vulnerable mage had suddenly turned into an angry soul hellbent on revenge. The book seems to have grown eyes, no doubt those of Cardack, and Fenwick quickly decides to lay it down on the table as Cleo shouts and screams at him. It is only when he appeals to her own guilt that she stops...

...Only to zap him as a reward.

Cleo stops and turns to him. “Well, you will be pleased to know that the spell has granted your book certain spell immunities, an impressive amount, in fact. However, that tome-dwelling miscreant will not be so fortunate. If he remains in the book while you are engaged in combat, he should be fine.”

Oh, so at least the spell worked. Too bad that in trying to live forever, Cardack had forgotten about the possibility of pain.

She ends with a final warning. “So, I should warn you to be careful about airing him out if there are enemies around."

He hears a slight whimper somewhere in his mind and he can only hold sympathy at this point for him, regardless of how much he had affected the other members of the Bulwark. Of course, it helped that he didn't really know him, despite the book having been in his possesion for a few years.

"I'll... er... just... skip asking you how you're doing." Fenwick offers Cleo a weak smile, attempting to diffuse the situation. He knows, however, that sooner or later he would have to ask what had happened. Might as well make it now.

"What happened? Are you okay?" He can feel the magic around her, still fuzzy and tingly from the earlier shocks. Nervously, very lightly, he places a hand on her shoulder, just as he had when Faran had peeved her off. He looks at her beautiful face, but can only turn his head between her and Cardack, still feeling the tension around them. "Perhaps I should just put that away?" As much as he wants to make Cleo feel better, he didn't want to risk Cardack and his book. It simply held too much value to him.

He reaches out for the book, almost comically stretching for it while attempting to keep his other hand on Cleo's shoulder. It appears to be a bit too far however, and he reluctantly lets go to fully retrieve the book.

'We'll talk about this afterwards, Cardack.' He mentally tells the book, before putting it away safely in the folds of his robes.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2010, 08:42:47 AM »
"I have told you the purpose for The Bulwark of Heaven. We are an organization made up of humans, Ageless, and many others who have committed themselves to the protection of mankind, the fall of the Forsaken, and the undoing of The Adversary, the true enemy of The Divine."

"So, you are to destroy them and to protect the mankind", Depheir gathered all the information in his own words. "And you want every Ageless to help you in doing so. But one thing remains a bit unclear to me. Who is their leader?"

"Severan Deceit. His right-hand man is Lieutenant Cauter."

"Ah... Severan. I've heard that name somewhere before.", Depheir whispered to himself.

General Fury looked at him, as she noticed that Young Ageless speaks to himself. Few seconds after, she continued.

“Your skills speak volumes, and I believe you have a great deal to offer our organization. We also have a great deal that we can offer you in terms of training, weapons, and the further refinement of your skills. In the end, however, this is a choice that you alone can make. Should you join the Bulwark, the road ahead will be a dangerous one, and as is the case with nearly everything in life, your survival cannot be assured. However, if you choose to set out upon your own, it is very likely that Severan and the Forsaken Horde will attempt to capture you. Me, and the Elders, are here to aid you. Should you accept our offer, we will more than happy to welcome you into our ranks."

"Yes, I accept your offer.", Depheir replied to General. "Is there anything I can do for the Legion now?"

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2010, 10:11:51 AM »
Smith explains the Heart's Name that each Ageless of the Bulwark is given.  That explains Gladia and Dennan's last names of Archer and Justice.  Sembas nods with understanding.  The Naming Ceremony has been mentioned before, but the further explanation was helpful.  He wondered what his given name would be...

Smith tells him about his finger soldiers, and Sembas joins him in a chuckle over the memory.  When he mentions the rattle and the picture Sembas feels a pang of sadness for the man, for all the Ageless.

"The more people I meet in Avalon, the more the downfalls of immortality become apparent.  Everyone is happy, for the most part.  But the wear of time shows through, if only in passing moments.  It breaks my heart to think that my family and friends back home will continue to age and die, while I will be preserved like this for eternity...  Divine willing."

The falconer runs his fingers down the shaft of his old spear.  "This was given to me by the leader of my village's militia.  He hand picked it out of the smith's allotment for the year I joined.  It is the first piece of equipment I've ever owned thats purpose was to harm others.  I was afraid of it, to be honest.  But use and duty relieved me of that fear quickly.  Rather than a weapon meant to harm I realized that it was a shield, a shield for the people of my village."

He leans the spear on the wall and runs his fingers down his old bowie knife.  "This was given to me by my father on my sixteenth birthday."  He gives Smith a boyish grin.  "It was his knife before he gave it to me.  He showed me how to sharpen and oil it.  The handle was already molded to his hand.  As I grew up my hand fit the handle more and more, until it fit my hand just as well as his."

Sembas lets out a long sigh.  "I wonder if I'll ever see him again.  He would do flips over seeing the workmanship of your weapons."  Shaking off his somber mood, he smiles again.  "Thank you for sharing these pieces of your mortal life with me, Armen Smith.  It means a lot to know that we can still look back on our past lives with fondness instead of sorrow."

Faile has been reverently silent during their whole discussion.  As Sembas spoke of his father he could feel that she missed him too.  Even though they just saw him a few weeks past, the distance and the knowledge of their condition made their old life seem like ages ago.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 11:49:17 AM by Kitharsis »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
Thread closed for length.