Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8043  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 1)  (Read 34283 times)

Offline Faidth

• Captain
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 1)
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2010, 04:43:38 PM »
   Faile is able to point Sembas in the direction of Dennan’s humble abode. She mentions it was quite easy to find it from her vantage in Archer’s tree, that it isn’t quite far, and that at least from what she could see, it had not changed at all in her absence.

From Archer’s tree, you make a left and can see a large barrier of trees further down the path. These tall forest sentinels stand vigilant over the Ageless giant’s simple cottage. In front of the cottage there is a large, grassy yard, and you can make out a tanned, mountainous shape performing some repetitive action. As you draw nearer, you see that Dennan is chopping wood upon an old tree stump. You somehow know that this is an action he does more for the enjoyment than the applied practice. Someone like Dethys could probably just summon up some logs for him. Yet, everything you know of Dennan so far indicates that he is a man of simplicity who does not care for the more elaborate aspects of Avalon.

Dennan takes notice of you and brings his massive hand into the air for a welcoming wave. You see him gather up several logs from around the stump and carry them towards his home.

You are taken by surprise as an enormous shape bolts across the distance between you and the cottage and roughly knocks you to the ground. As you gather your senses, you find that you are staring up at the dripping mouth of a gargantuan bear. Your first instinct is likely to locate Faile, but you see her sitting atop the bear’s head. You hear her laughing uproariously in your mind and she spreads her wings in glee at your current position.

You hear Dennan’s booming voice emanating from the direction of the cabin. “Fensten! Come here now. Leave poor Sembas be. He’s not used to your greetings yet.”

The bear whines slightly and drags his long, sand-papery tongue across your face in a gesture of apology, before loping off towards his master. Faile is still seated upon his head and looks quite comfortable on her “bear mount.” She glances back at you and you can feel her amusement.

Dennan approaches you and scoops you up off the ground, placing you firmly upon your feet. “Sorry. Fensten is well-meaning, but sometimes he does not know his own strength.”

You had heard somewhere that animals often share some resemblance with their human companions, and when Dennan mentions that his bear friend does not seem to know his own strength, you are reminded of your introduction to the General’s son.

Dennan sniffs the air and you notice he exhibits certain feral qualities. The man himself is much like the beasts he keeps company with. “Honeycakes. Did you enjoy the cream I sent? Personally, I believe that Archer’s cakes are amazing without it, but she seems to like it, so I always keep some on hand. She sent over a basket of them, but someone engorged himself upon them before I could enjoy them.” He glances towards Fensten who whines sheepishly at this acknowledgment of his role in the missing honeycakes. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 07:55:09 PM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2010, 10:47:36 PM »
Sembas and Faile return Dennan's wave.  Faile raising her left wing while Sembas raising his right hand.  The effect looks a bit... odd.  Caught off guard, he is tackled to the ground by what he finally realizes is a large bear.  Sembas groans and rolls his eyes once he sees Faile sitting happily atop the bear's head, laughing away in his mind.

The long, sandpapery lick leaves him stunned for a moment.  As he is placed back on his own two feet he gingerly wipes the drool off of his cheek.

"Um, thank you...  Erhem..."  Dennan smells out the honeycakes, drawing a smile from Sembas.

"Yes, Archer had some waiting by the time Faile and I arrived at her house.  I'm sure sweet cream makes them a tad better.  That was actually one of the reasons I stopped by, to thank you for the cream!"  He chuckles, looking over at Fensten.  "It looks like he could woof down more than a few honeycakes all by himself.  I'm sure just a basket of them were barely a snack for the big fella!"  Faile starts scratching one of Fensten's ears with her beak, saying hello to an old friend. 

"The other reason I've stopped by, Dennan, is because of what I saw earlier today.  You changed into a wolf!  I've never seen anything like that before.  I must say I was quite impressed by the whole thing.  Where did you ever learn to do something like that?"  Catching himself, he adds, "If you don't mind me asking, of course..."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 01:37:40 AM »
   Dennan blushes at your acknowledgment of his skills. Again, you are reminded of the slow and deliberate nature of his pattern of speech. You can tell his is unaccustomed to speaking much and likely spends the majority of his time in silent reflection, or perhaps communicating with his animal companions.

“My father taught me… When I was young. Every year, my father and mother would take Corvus and I to a large forest in the human realm. Father said he had enjoyed the place when he was a boy, and wished for us to see it. It looked much like this… with tall, green grass and a little creek full of fish. It was beautiful! But the thing I loved best was the animals.”

“My brother Corvus never really cared too much for the wide, open spaces. He loves city’s and when we travel in the human realm, he seeks them out like a moth to light. He loves to surround himself with others, and is always the center of their attention, no matter where he goes. I prefer the silence… to stay in the background and observe. Words can be vacant and hollow… they can mislead and betray… but actions… actions speak volumes.”

“I am not like the others… All Ageless begin as humans… But Corvus and I…” Dennan shakes his head and you can tell that his origins are quite conflicting for him. “We simply stopped ageing. There was no Death Wound, like mother’s eye or father’s heart. We just… stopped.”

“I was born in Avalon. While Corvus has been content to remain here in this grand place I have always enjoyed accompanying mother and father into the human world. When he goes, he leaves reluctantly. I, however, will embrace any chance I can to look upon the oceans, to tromp through the forests, or to stand upon the highest peaks. This is the world I desire, and so my mother and father asked Dethys to create this place for me. For when I am needed here.” 

“I cannot complain,” says Dennan. “Here, I am always surrounded by family and friends. It makes the distress and pain that we encounter in the human world that much easier to bear. I feel bad for them… to know such fear and sadness with little chance of respite. But me? I can always come back to Avalon. Though we do not spend much time here, as the business of the Bulwark requires us to be in the human realm quite a bit, sometimes it is welcome to be in such a safe haven.”

“Come. I shall introduce you to my kindred,” offers Dennan.

Dennan shows you around his piece of earth and allows you to acquaint yourself with his closest friends. There are several horses, a few bovines, wild boar, turtles, several forms of feathered fowl, a small family of deer, and a mated pair of wolves. He shows you the proper way to approach wild animals and demonstrates how to speak to them in their natives tongues. Most impressively, he shows his ability to take the forms of all of these animals, and tells you of even more forms he has access to.

“The key to Shapeshifting is not imitation, but truly becoming the animal,” explains Dennan. “They are not suits to be worn, but beings to channel. To really be able to take an animal’s form, you must see the world through their eyes. Perhaps sometime I can show you how to hone this ability, though it will take some time for you to master.”
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:40:03 AM by Faidth »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2010, 02:01:04 AM »
I was flabbergasted, There was no hint of sarcasm in her voice. She genuinely thought I worked like the rest of Bulwark; relying on each other for strength as they relied on Blood. And she honestly didn't think I was joking when I made that crack about being on wanted posters. This one was very... trusting. I liked it. I was amused by it. She wasn't condescending, which was very refreshing. Oh, everyone had been very hospitable, but everything had been edged with a certain air of superiority. Sort of: “If you know what's good for you.”

But now I felt a little sad. I couldn't hide behind a sarcastic response with her, she'd take it the wrong way. Everyone seemed to have a penchant for being open with each other around here, so I might as well give it a shot.

“I'm afraid that I do not enjoy such companionship all the time.” I said simply. “I know no one. I am a vagabond, you see. I move from place to place holding no ties. I draw my strength from inside me. My only love is the Song and it is my constant companion. She fills me when I caress her. She aids me as I travel, warming me when I am cold, sheltering me from the rain, hiding me in danger, growing food for the hungry, healing those who are sick.” I chuckled. “One of my favorite things to do in my travels is, on entering a village, finding out who is sick and late at night, Singing under their window. They would be better the next day and no one could figure out why.“ I laughed despite myself. I really enjoyed that. Always amused me.

“It is Ecstasy to Sing. A deceptive ecstasy. It's better than anything I've ever felt. Performed wrong and it can cause untold destruction. Give in too much and...” I stopped. This was ground I didn't want to tread. “...well, let's just say I learned control.”

I left it there. That was a lot more than I thought I would say. Something about her made me comfortable in doing so. I suppose it was her trusting manner. The afternoon sun slanted through the open doorway, catching motes of dust in its beam. The contrast of light and the shadows of the tavern made the place seem a little darker, but not a bit less inviting. A light, cool breeze drifted through the door, bringing the smells of bread baking from one of the establishments across the plaza. An Ageless who still enjoyed making food the old fashioned way.

Which brought me to the startling revelation Muse had given me about this place. People just ASKED for stuff? My mind reeled. An economy based on honor and favors. How did they keep track of it all? How did they stop people from abusing this system? Well, I guess if it works for them. But that also meant that if I was staying here I'd have to do some “shopping” sometime. I can't just pull things out of the air like some of these people. I wasn't that good with the Song. If my reputation had already spread across the city I'd have to kiss some serious ass to keep from going hungry. Ugh, why couldn't I just wash dishes or something? It irked me to owe something to someone. I'd rather just pay silver for something and then be on my way. Fewer ties that way.

Her comments on Captain Blood were interesting. Ever vigilant over her charges: The Ageless and all over humanity. The poor woman Takes too much on herself. I can see why she a little bit grumpy. Little bit? The look she gave me could have curdled milk. I suppose that she was hard on people because she cared so much. She was very admirable, but she was going about everything entirely the wrong way. She was going to self-destruct if she kept being so hard on herself. Everyone else was going to self-destruct if her kept being so angry at them. I hope she finds some peace soon.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2010, 04:12:02 AM »
Fenwick nearly faints with delight as he enters the gigantic library. What little disappointment he had felt when his suggestion didn't hold disappeared. Books, books, books!!!

At the uppermost floor, Fenwick had to restrain every muscle in his body so as not to jump on Dethys and force him to mutter that cursed incantation faster. He only hears what Dethys says, something about them getting to it... But he might as well have not said it. He had seemingly zoomed forward to the closest shelf and grabbed one of the old looking tomes off the wall, gently but definitely urgently.

The pages were yellowed, and apparentely the author was Dethys himself. Clutching it to his sides, he glances over at the book next to it and frowns slightly. Dethys again? But this book was almost as old as the one he was holding.

It was the same for the one next to that one... and the one after that... and...

Holy crap it was a freaking shelf of books by Dethys!!

Fenwick looks over his shoulder to where Dethys was. Perhaps it was shock he saw, or some smile--it didn't matter--that hit him on the head and suddenly, writing a whole shelf of thick books seemed a lot more probable. Especially when you were hundreds of years old.

"Your hands must be incredibly tired." He muses, turning over the new tome he held. "At this rate, I can just throw my old book away and just bring these instead." He delibrately waits for some response from Cardack, before moving over to a table and flipping over the pages, still standing.

"It would take me time, time that I do not have right now, to read through everything here..." He makes no effort to hide his regret over this fact. "But am I allowed to bring one out? A copy or something similar? Not the original oh no!!! They're sacred, but..." Unable to continue, Fenwick simply lets it trail off. But the reason why they had come in the first place came flooding into his mind suddenly.

"Oh yea. A spell for this Cardack fellow. Where do we start?" He looks squarely at Dethys, fully expecting him to know where to start.

It was, after all, his books.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2010, 05:30:15 AM »
Depheir listened, how Cleo described the Capital City of Ageless and draws its majestic appearance in his mind. "It must be a magnificent city. I shall explore it all, but first, I'll go to the library.", he thought.

"Library of Avalon may reveal some of spells to you", she said suddenly.

"What the...?", Depheir was a little surprised. "Is she able to read minds of others?"

She didn't answer. Instead, she began to describe each of companions he will soon meet.

When Cleo said few words about the others, Depheir asked her suddenly: "Where is that missing Ageless?"

"Do you want to go now?"

"No, i still have time... but I am afraid that he may be caught by Forsaken."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »
Sembas is thoroughly enjoying himself in the company of Dennan.  His plot of earth amidst the city is so very refreshing.  The smell of the grass and the shade of the trees sets him right at ease. 

Dennan's menagerie is all very friendly.  Sembas realizes just how wild the man is as he speaks to each animal in their native tongue.

“The key to Shapeshifting is not imitation, but truly becoming the animal... They are not suits to be worn, but beings to channel. To really be able to take an animal’s form, you must see the world through their eyes. Perhaps sometime I can show you how to hone this ability, though it will take some time for you to master.”

"I...  I would appreciate it greatly if you were to show me how to do that.  To become an animal."  His eyes go kind of misty as he continues.  "I would finally be able to fly next to Faile in the sky..."  He spreads his arms and wiggles his fingers. 

Faile, still parading around on top of Fensten's head, spreads her wings and chatters at Sembas.  He blushes and lowers his arms, embarrassedly laughing to himself.  Dennan's deep laughter doesn't help ease his embrrassment. 

"It is good to see Faile again.  I see she hasn't lost her sense of humor.  How did you know to care for her?  Falcon's can be...  Particular."  Dennan asks.

"Why, I come from a long line of falconers.  My father taught my brothers and I how to care for falcons from as soon as we could walk.  When Faile found me in the mountains after a storm I already knew a great deal about the birds.  None of us were prepared for Faile, though."  He says with a smile.  "She surely turned us on our heads a few times."

Faile flaps over and lands on his shoulder.  Dennan rubs the feathers under her beak and she coos and leans into his fingers.

"I see you and Besnik have quit your squabbling.  At least long enough for a private tour of the city, littlest chick."

Faile's eyes go wide as she lurches away from his hand.  She begins shaking her head and gives a rebuttal in rushed squawks and grunts.  Both Sembas and Dennan laugh as she fumes and flaps away into a nearby tree.

"It's ok, girl.  Not many saw the two of you, so high in the air.  I'll keep your reuptation intact."  Dennan calls after her.

Turning to Sembas, his features go serious.  "About your interest in becoming an animal.  Begin slow.  For now ponder on an animal you associate closely with.  Try and imagine how they move, how they see and how they live.  Meditate on this for a while."  He clasps a large hand on Sembas's shoulder.  Sembas braces himself this time, but still is set off balance.  "While you do so, feel free to stop by anytime and pay a visit to my friends and I.  I may not always be here, but they enjoy the company."

Shaking hands and saying their farewells Sembas starts walking down the road away from the cottage.  Dennan hefts his axe over his shoulder and begins chopping wood once again. 

Fensten climbs up a tree, the branches rustling all the way.  Finally Faile bursts out of the thick leaves, squabbling and scolding the bear on her way past.  If a bear could laugh Fensten would be doing so as he slides back down the trunk of the tree.

Dennan had pointed him in the direction of the Armory.  While Sembas's weapons were just fine for militia work.  He imagines the duties of The Bulwark were a great deal more demanding on equipment.  Faile was flying ahead, having heard the directions from her perch in the tree.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2010, 04:27:05 PM »
@ Faran:

Muse listens attentively as Faran speaks. You get the feeling that she is an exceptional listener and has a great deal of practice at it.

“I'm afraid that I do not enjoy such companionship all the time.I know no one. I am a vagabond, you see. I move from place to place holding no ties. I draw my strength from inside me. My only love is the Song and it is my constant companion…

Her face falls and she gives you a look of genuine sympathy. “That sounds like a lonely life, Faran. Though my songs may be different than yours, I do find comfort in them as well. However, it is no replacement for the companionship that my brethren lend me. Simply being in each other’s company, especially when we’re in the human realm, is a great comfort to me. I know that no matter where I am, I always carry my brethren with me.”

“One of my favorite things to do in my travels is, on entering a village, finding out who is sick and late at night, Singing under their window. They would be better the next day and no one could figure out why.”

Muse giggles. "That sounds like a wonderful thing to do. Helping people out of the kindness of your heart with no need for accolades."

“It is Ecstasy to Sing. A deceptive ecstasy. It's better than anything I've ever felt. Performed wrong and it can cause untold destruction. Give in too much and...well, let's just say I learned control.

“You seem to have great passion for your song, as do I. It can be a great help to others, which is why I use my arts to aid both humanity and my brethren. I care deeply for both of those things.”

“This is quite a pleasant turn for me, to have so many to care for, and who care for me in return. When I was mortal, I was a member of a royal family. My father was the king’s brother, and when my uncle died, my father took the throne. I was an only child and my mother died when I was young. My father was often called away for diplomatic purposes so I spent a great deal of time alone.”

“I suppose that made me a princess. I hated it though. No one ever cared about who I really was. I was just this symbol for them to dote upon. No one knew the real Adaline.”

“At any rate, my father was a rather inept king, and the country suffered under his reign. They executed him, and then turned their eyes to me.” Muse appears uncomfortable discussing this part of the story and shifts in her chair.

“When my father died, I knew that I would be next. So, I did what I had always wanted to do: I traveled. I had always held in my heart a great passion for music. So, I became a minstrel, and was quite good at it! It let me see the world, and bring joy to people who desperately needed it. Until…” Muse abruptly cuts off and changes the subject.

“At any rate, this all happened a long time ago. The long and short of it is, I spent all my mortal life feeling distant from others. Now, I surround myself with friends. The Bulwark is my family now, and they bid me to do what I’ve always wanted: to help people. I get to travel with my companions to human villages and comfort the weary, and heal the sick. I know we can’t fix all of humanity’s problems; there are some things they must do themselves. However, I enjoy the hand that I have in their happiness when it can be found.”    

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2010, 04:55:35 PM »
@Rethagos:

Cleo tilts her head slightly. “I do not think he is lost to us just yet. After all, you made it here alright, albeit a little late. Perhaps he is just tardy as well. I will know if he falls to the Forsaken. When you are as old as I am, you get a feeling for these things.”

A strange orb in the back of the room erupts with light and you hear a male voice being transmitted through it.

“SEER. HAVE ANY OF THE OTHERS ARRIVED?”

“Yes!” responds Cleo, leaping to her feet. “Depheir has arrived, but there is still no sign of Aldgar.”

“I SEE. WILL YOU BE MOVING THE GATES THEN?”

Cleo contemplates this for a moment. “I will give him yet another day, but we cannot afford to wait much longer. If he is not here by this time tomorrow, I will move the gates.”

“VERY WELL. WILL YOU SEND DEPHEIR THROUGH?”

“Yes, Keeper.”

“I WILL LET DETHYS KNOW THAT ANOTHER OF HIS CHARGES WILL ARRIVE SHORTLY.”

“Thank you, Keeper.” Cleo turns to you. “It looks like they’re ready for you.”

@ Fenwick:

Fenwick speaks. "Your hands must be incredibly tired. At this rate, I can just throw my old book away and just bring these instead."

“Hey!” exclaims Cardack defensively. “So quick to forget everything I’ve done for you!”    

Dethys chuckles at your unbridled excitement. “Luckily, Ageless hands do not tire easily. Sometimes I forget just how many of these I have written.” Dethys selects a specific tome from the shelf and places it in your hands.

“It would take me time, time that I do not have right now, to read through everything here... But am I allowed to bring one out? A copy or something similar? Not the original oh no!!! They're sacred, but...

Dethys laughs again and puts his hand upon your shoulder. “Yes, these are all quite rare, but that does not mean you cannot take at least a bit of this knowledge with you. Here.” He gestures to the tome he had given you. “The spell you need for old, dust-in-his-pages should be in here. However, let me teach you another interesting trick.” (see OOC)

After some time, Keeper breathlessly enters the room and informs Dethys that a new Childer Immortalis has arrived at the Seer’s tent. Dethys recognizes your desire to see Cleo and bids you follow him and Keeper to the main gates.

“Let’s do a quick exchange, shall we, Keeper? Let Cleo know that Fenwick is on his way and that she may send Depheir through.”

You see a small building just outside the gates and Keeper disappears within for a few moments. When he returns he gives Dethys a nod. “She will send Depheir through now. I told her we will be transmitting someone else through our side, but I did not tell her it would be Fenwick. She should be in for a pleasant surprise.”

@Rethagos:

In the tent, Depheir sees Cleo open a portal, and the swirling mass of golden energy undulates and churns as it prepares for you to be sent through to Avalon. Cleo gives you the same warning she gave the other. “Keep walking forward, and do not turn back, lest you may be lost to the mists. It may feel a bit unusual for you. It’s different for everyone that passes through it.”

Cleo sends you through, and the sensation you feel is unlike anything you’ve ever felt before. While you walk forward, you pass by a gentleman clad in simple cloth clothing. You glance at him, but heed the Seer’s warning and continue your way forward.

When you emerge on the other side, you are greeted with quite a sight to behold. The massive, sprawling city, constructed with elaborate detail in hues of ivory and gold, must surely be Avalon! Before you are two men. One is clad in robes of gray and acknowledges you with a nod as you exit the portal. The other has hair so blonde that it is nearly white, and piercing green eyes. You raises his hand to you in welcome.

The man in gray introduces himself as Keeper, the Steward of the City and unofficial greeting committee. He introduces the other man to you as Dethys Night, an Elder Ageless who will serve as your mentor and take you to the headquarters of The Bulwark of Heaven.

@Fenwick:

Again, you feel as if you are pushed and pulled in all directions, though the effect of the portal is far less unsettling than before. As you cross through the dimensional space that will lead you to the Seer, you cross paths with another gentleman. You sense magic radiating off of him, and recognize him as a fellow mage.

You know it would be unwise to tarry in this space, so you give him a nod of acknowledgment before continuing onward.

You emerge on the other side of the gate and find yourself face-to-face with a speechless Seer. Cleo glances from you to the portal, waits until she is sure Depheir has safely passed through, and closes the gates behind you.

The disbelief is clearly present upon her face. “You… you came back! I can’t believe you actually came back!” She throws her arms around your neck drawing you close to her, and you can feel her body tremble with excitement at your fulfillment of your word.

She is so elated to see you that small tears form in the corners of her eyes, and again you are reminded of the constant loneliness she must feel in this place.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »
@Sembas:

Sembas makes his way back towards the headquarters of The Bulwark of Heaven, as this is where the armory is contained. As you make your way towards the main gates of the Blood-Warden base, you see that Corvus is still at his post. He does not bother to ask you for papers or the whereabouts of your escort as he knows his mother has welcomed you into the Bulwark. You are now free to come and go as you please.

He gives a polite wave as you pass by and you quickly find yourself just outside of the Blood-Warden base. Rather than entering the main establishment, you follow the directions that Dennan gave you and take the left path to a rather large building nearby. Curls of smoke pour out of a vent in the roof of this establishment, and there is no mistaking this building for anything but a smith’s safe haven.

As you enter, you are greeted by a grizzled old man who carries a smithing hammer in his hand. He wears a blacksmith’s apron and the fires of his forge cast a bright gleam off of his bald head. He has a short beard that would be white if it were not covered in ash and soot, and though there is an air of intimidation about him, he greets you with a welcoming smile.

“Ye must be one of the Young Ones the General told me about.” He wipes his palm upon his apron and extends his hand to you for a firm handshake. “I’m Armen Smith, but everyone here just calls me Smith.”

“So, what can I do fer ye, lad?”

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2010, 05:53:41 PM »
“Well, it seems you and I have some things in common then.” Especially omitting things from our pasts. “We are agreed. There is simple joy in aiding the common man.” Though it was almost creepy in a way. Everyone here seem to ready and willing to share their life stories with complete strangers. Was this what living for hundreds of years does to people? Out in the world, I was used to getting nothing more than a grunt or two from someone I was pressing for information.

I went on. “I think I would enjoy being a common man again. I really try not to think of myself as an immortal. I fear that if I did I'd lose my connection with them. There shouldn't be an “us and them” mentality between humans and immortals. We should all be the same. We should be out living amongst them.” I sighed. I should be out there right now, but I'm stuck here. “I really look forward to the day I'm strong enough to walk the world on my own again without fear of being set upon by Severan and his minions. I suppose that's one reason why I'm so resentful of this whole situation. I went from being an adult and knowing exactly how the world works and being able to fend for myself, to being a child again and needing everyone's “protection”. I want to stand on my own again.” I said with some heat in my voice.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2010, 07:25:39 PM »
@Faran:

Again, Muse demonstrates her skills as both an attentive, and sympathetic, listener.

“You must remember, Faran, we are not TRULY immortal. We can still die, but only under specific circumstances. That is why everyone here is so concerned for your protection. You see, when we venture into the human realm, we must be careful where we go and what we do. Though we are quite good at keeping humans protected, if we are to tarry in one place for too long, we actually put the very people we are trying to protect in danger. Just as we can sense the Forsaken, at least to a degree, they can also sense us.”

“That is why we must stick together and move in groups when we are there. One Ageless would be quite easy to corner and take down. However, if we move in small groups, this increases our chances of survival. Especially right now, survival is of the utmost importance.”

“There are only ever roughly three hundred Legion Immortalis at any given time. The Ageless used to be in the majority, but in the past two centuries or so, our numbers and those of the Forsaken are beginning to even out. Whenever an Ageless dies, a new one is made. However, with Severan somehow finding a way to intercept the Childer Immortalis, this has become quite problematic.”

“You see, since the rise of the Forsaken, each Childer Immortalis is given the choice to come to Avalon, or to neglect their summons. Because of this choice, we cannot simply go out and bring the Young Ones here on our own; the Divine has made that very clear. To ensure the loyalty of our people, they MUST be given that choice. It must be THEIR choice to join their brethren. Should they fail to arrive in Avalon, many of them end up coming face to face with Severan and accepting his terms instead. To a Young One, Severan does not come off as the cruel and relentless man he truly is. One of the dangers about him is his innate charm and leadership.”    

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #92 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »
Sembas shakes Smith's hand firmly in return.  The falconer has an air of officiality about him, and as Smith speaks he stands at attention.

"Yes sir, I am one of the Young Ones.  My name is Sembas Filden, and this is my companion Faile."  Faile bows to him in greeting.  "It is good to meet you, Smith." 

Sembas pulls the spear off of his back and stands it on end in front of him.  He also pulls out his bowie knife from its sheath on his hip.  Presenting them to Smith, he carries on with a formal tone.

"I was in the militia in my village, while I was still a mortal.  It was customary for the militia men to gather at the Smithy once per season to have our weapons and equipment inspected."  Nodding to his spear and knife, he continues.  "It would mean a great deal to me if you were to inspect my equipment, sir.  If you find it wanting, please let me know what I can do to find suitable replacements.  'A man is only as good as the friends at his back and the spear in his hands.'  As my countrymen would say.  I've made quite a few friends today, and hopefully I can add you to that count.  I would like to know that I have the means to defend them as well as they can me, if the need arises."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #93 on: July 27, 2010, 09:59:38 PM »
@Sembas:

“Good to meet ye, Sembas. And ye, Faile.” After shaking your hand, he extends his index finger to Faile and shakes her talon. Faile seems to find this gesture amusing, but nevertheless, indulges the old man.

As you present your weapons to him, Smith carefully picks them up in his hands as if he fears holding them too roughly would cause them to break As you mention you have your weapons and equipment once a season, his eyes go wide and he shakes his head in disbelief. “Once a season! Great Divine, lad!”

“If you find it wanting, please let me know what I can do to find suitable replacements.  'A man is only as good as the friends at his back and the spear in his hands.'  As my countrymen would say.  I've made quite a few friends today, and hopefully I can add you to that count.  I would like to know that I have the means to defend them as well as they can me, if the need arises."

“Those are honorable goals, lad, and I’m glad ye are finding Avalon and its gentle folk to yer liking. If yer working with the General ye’ll need the finest weapons, and to tell ye the truth, it might take me a bit o’ time to make something that will suit ye best. But, I can give ye something that’s spades better than what ye have here. In fact, I INSIST ye allow me to give ‘em to ye. I can’t bear the thought of ye fightin’ Forsaken with, if ye will pardon the honesty, lad, these bits o’ bruised metal and warped sticks. All I ask is that ye promise me one thing: ye must promise me that ye will retire these weapons and never use them again!” Smith lightly taps you on the chest with the wooden handle of your bowie knife.

He leads you to his back room, which is simply burgeoning with all manner of weapons. You doubt you’ve ever seen so many weapons assembled in one spot, and Smith explains that this is what happens when you leave an old smith to his own devices.

“I get bored,” he explains with a shrug.

Smith rummages through a large stack of weapons and emerges with a finely crafted spear and an impressive hunter’s knife. As he turns to hand them to you, he notices the embroidered belt pouch that Archer gifted to you.

“Ye’ve been to see ol’ Archer have ye? Ah… now that’s a fine bit of…” He suddenly realizes his words could be misconstrued. “Wood! Wood! That bow she’s always totin’ around! What I wouldn’t give to get my hands on a fine piece of Ironwood. My, I could make ye a weapon fit for the Divine with a piece like that!” he exclaims.

“If I could get a bit of that and maybe some Alviss-Touched Ore from the Chosen of Alviss… That would be a dream! But the former is nigh impossible to get and the latter is the stuff of legends! The Chosen of Alviss covet it above all else, and ye’d have to delve deeper and darker than any mortal would ever dare dig. Or have a Chosen of Alviss in yer back pocket. They refuse to sell or trade it, and ye’d be a lucky lad to ever even set eyes on it.”

“For now, these will have to do ye.” He hands you the weapons and as you inspect them, you note that they are of the finest craftsmanship you have ever seen. There is a strange, blue tint to the weapons, coupled with an unusual sparkling.

“These are made of Blue Steel that’s been combined with diamonds. Stuff will cut through just about anything! These blades will never wear, and these weapons will never break. It’s the best I can do for ye now.”
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 10:06:57 PM by Faidth »

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2010, 07:16:36 AM »
"Nice to meet you", Depheir said to two men standing before him. "I am..."

"You don't need an introduction. We know who you are", Dethys said to him, with a sign of amusement in his voice. "So, do you want to go to the headquarters of the Bulwark of Heaven?"

"Yes, I want... but first, take me to the library. Or... No, better take me to the headquarters."

"Okay", Dethys replied. "Follow me. But... why are you so hesitant? We can go to the library first."

"No. Duties first. Lead on."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #95 on: July 28, 2010, 10:51:31 AM »
Smith calls his weapons 'bits o' bruised metal and warped sticks.'  Sembas was always sure to keep his weapons in good order, making sure his spear and knife were sharpened daily.  He was quite embarrassed to find that his villages workmanship was not up to par.  Being tapped on the chest with his own bowie knife did nothing to raise his spirits.

But he INSISTS that he gives Sembas some new weapons.  The amount of weapons that the man keeps in the back room is staggering.  Sembas quickly forgets his dismay as he studies the wide array of equipment kept in this room.

The spear and hunter's knife are exquisite, far surpassing anything he ever had in his possession.

“Ye’ve been to see ol’ Archer have ye? Ah… now that’s a fine bit of…” 

Sembas quirks an eyebrow at the man before he quickly catches himself.

“Wood! Wood! That bow she’s always totin’ around...”

Sembas chuckles and replies.  "It's quite an amazing bow.  She allowed me to fire her and I think it was the first time I never missed a target.  Not even one arrow off track!"

Smith goes on to explain about the Alviss-Touched Ore.  Sembas makes a note of it.  "If I ever have the chance to get my hands on some of this ore, or that ironwood, I'll be sure to get them to you as soon as possible.  These weapons are the finest I've ever seen, I couldn't imagine what you could do with those materials!"

As Sembas receives the weapons he notices the sparkling blue tint to them.  Hearing Smith's explanation his gold eyes widen considerably.

"Blue Steel?!  I've only heard of this material from traveller's passing through my village."  He turns the hunter's knife over in his hand, watching the diamonds catch the light as they sparkle.  "I'll wield these with great honor, Smith.  Thank you very much for your generosity.  Hopefully I can repay you for these some day."

Sembas slides the hunter's knife in the sheath at his hip, and ties his strap to the spear and slings it over his back.  He collects his old weapons and looks at them longingly. 

"These are some of the few remnants I have from my old life.  I'd like to keep them, if you don't mind.  Not for battle, certainly not when I have your beautifully powerful weapons.  No, I'd like to keep them as mementos from a simpler time..."
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 04:40:24 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #96 on: July 28, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »
Fenwick quickly opens the first few pages and casts his new spell, COUNTERFEIT, on it. Pages after pages magically appear from the air and into his left hand as his right hand hovers over the original.

Thanking Dethys, he is led to the portal to Cleo... and steps through.

"You… you came back! I can’t believe you actually came back!”

He is about to reply when she pulls him closer to her. Instictively, he wraps his arms around her, but not before catching a tear just at the corner of her eye. Fenwick closes his eyes and simply lets the moment engulf him, engulf them.

"Of course I would. I made a promise." He says softly after a while, still holding onto Cleo. "I always keep promises." He smiles at that thought, "Or try to."

Then, as he finally, slowly releases her, a childlike anticipation creeped in. He is almost bouncy as he speaks next.

"Dethys taught me a few tricks!!! He brought me to the library, taught me two new spells! Look!" He pulls out the boo....er... Cardack, from his robe, and the copied text from the other. "These papers," he waves them for emphasis, "Are copies from the original!! I didn't have time to see what to take though, and just did the first few pages."

It is only now that he notices how the pages are.

"Oh... but they're yellowed and the words are a taaaad bit unclear.... heh. I'll make do with it... probably something to do with the spell."

But this revelation does not put him down as he looks Cleo straight in the eye and lifts the book up.

"But this, this!!!! Watch this!!!!!!!"

He casts the spell PACIFIST'S LULL and the book slowly disappears from Cleo's sight. He smiles at her reaction and in one grand movement made it such that he willed her be able to see the book.

"So... apparentely it's now immune to magic and projectiles too... Want to do the honours?" He mimicks her movement for the 'zappy thing' and her movement around the eyes with a big grin on his face. Then, looking at the book, looking at Cardack, he warns.

"Prepare yourself Cardack! Let's see if this spell actually works!!!!"
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #97 on: July 28, 2010, 06:45:17 PM »
@Sembas:

“These are some of the few remnants I have from my old life.  I'd like to keep them, if you don't mind.  Not for battle, certainly not when I have your beautifully powerful weapons.  No, I'd like to keep them as mementos from a simpler time...”

Smith nods in agreement. “Aye, lad. Ye must always hold dear to ye yer times as a true mortal. When ye forget yer ties to our human cousins, that’s when ye begin to become like the Forsaken. It is why, even after the Archon gifts us our Heart’s Names…” Realizing you may not know the meaning of this term, Smith elaborates.

“The Heart’s Name is the name that each Ageless of the Bulwark receives at their Naming Ceremony. Mine, you may be shocked to know, is Smith. When the Archon grants ye yer Ageless name, it fulfills its own purpose. It may be something about ye or something ye hold dear, but whatever it is, it suits ye. Truth be told, my smithin’ increased ten-fold when I got me name.”

“To keep our ties to the mortal realm alive, we keep our first names, and the Ageless name becomes as a second name, or as a title.” He gestures to your old, mundane weapons. “Little mementos like those… those are important to keep to.

He gestures for you to follow him and leads you to his personal office, a small room in the rear of the smithy. Upon the wall is a grand shelf, hand-carved and exquisite in its detail. This is unusual as you contrast it with the seemingly paltry offerings that it bears. There is a rather unremarkable Blacksmith’s hammer, a wooden thimble, a baby’s rattle, and a hand-drawn portrait of a beautiful young woman.

“This… this be me first hammer. Given to me by my Da’ when he took me on as his apprentice. This thimble… this belonged to my Ma. She was quite a seamstress, and when I was a boy, I’d take this little pieces and draw faces upon them. I’d put them on my fingers, waggle them around, and fancy them little soldiers in a war with these blokes over here.” He waggles the fingers upon his right hand for emphasis and chuckles at the memory.

“This rattle belonged to me first son, my boy, Amos, and this is a picture of my dear, darling girl, Victoria.”

He reverently takes the portrait into this rough hands and gazes upon the figure within with great fondness and enduring love. “Ye see, Sembas, lad, I keep these to remind me of where I came from, so I never lose sight of where I’m going.”

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #98 on: July 28, 2010, 06:46:35 PM »
@Fenwick:

Cleo listens as you exuberantly tell her of your adventures thus far in Avalon and nods agreeably as you tell her of your new spells. However, when the name Cardack escapes your lips, her eyes narrow considerably and she scarcely hears you as you suggest her use of “the zappy thing” to test the new spell upon the book.

You have noticed that Cardack has been eerily silent since your passage through the gates, and as Cleo resolutely makes her way towards the tome, you can just barely see Cardack’s eyes protruding through the cover of the book. Those eyes look VERY nervous, and they widen considerably as Cleo stares down into them.

“YOU!” she exclaims forcefully.

Cardack tries to retreat further into the tome, but Cleo thrusts her outstretched hand into the cover of the book and seizes him roughly by his ethereal head of hair.

“OW!” exclaims Cardack as the Seer pulls his form as far as it will go.

“YOU! YOU DARE TO SHOW YOUR FACE IN AVALON AGAIN AFTER WHAT YOU DID, YOU MISERABLE CAD?! HAVE YOU ANY IDEA HOW MUCH YOU HURT POOR HESTIA?!”

Cardack whines miserably. “Come now, Cleo, be sensible!”

“HOW ABOUT I BE MERCIFUL INSTEAD AND END YOUR MISERABLE EXISTENCE?!”

“Cleo, dear, I understand you are upset. I know Hestia is like a mother to you and surely the pain I caused her must have had some effect upon you. Believe me when I say that I intend to apologize for my misdeeds,” assures Cardack feelingly.

Cleo crosses her arms over her chest and gazes upon Cardack defiantly. “Why should I believe you?”

“Cleo, two hundred years is a long time to dwell on your mistakes. You, of all people, should understand just how much time can wear upon a past transgression,” Cardack replies.

Cleo relents, but is all too eager to help you experiment on your book. She places one hand on the book, and the other on Cardack himself. Though the book itself remains entirely unscathed, Cardack is not so fortunate, and his agonized cries pierce your ears as electricity pulses through his incorporeal form.

“Hmph! So you can still feel pain,” says Cleo simply. She then turns to you. “Well, you will be pleased to know that the spell has granted your book certain spell immunities, an impressive amount, in fact. However, that tome-dwelling miscreant will not be so fortunate. If he remains in the book while you are engaged in combat, he should be fine.”

“However, if he emerges from the confines of its pages, the immunities will not extend to him any longer. The spell can protect the book, but not a person, nor the cowardly remnants of a person.” Cleo, again, glares at Cardack. “So, I should warn you to be careful about airing him out if there are enemies around.”

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #99 on: July 28, 2010, 07:12:18 PM »
@Depheir:

Keeper returns to his duties at the gatehouse and Dethys leads you to a deceptively large building that appears much smaller from the outside. You tread the same paths that your soon-to-be companions had mere hours before, and soon find yourself in the offices of General Deya Fury, wife of the Archon, General of The Blood-Wardens, and Head of The Bulwark of Heaven.

Despite the natural respect-commanding attitude and intimidating appearance of the woman before you, General Fury is exceptionally hospitable as she explains why you were brought before her, the intentions of The Bulwark of Heaven, and her acknowledgment of your talents. It seems the Elder Ageless already know a great deal about you. You are unsurprised by this as Dethys has already informed you about a tome that was entrusted to his safekeeping.  Purportedly the tome records an entry for every one of The Legion Immortalis that has ever been Chosen.

At one point, the General leans back in her high-backed chair and appears to contemplate something. “I have told you the purpose for The Bulwark of Heaven. We are an organization made up of humans, Ageless, and many others who have committed themselves to the protection of mankind, the fall of the Forsaken, and the undoing of The Adversary, the true enemy of The Divine.”

“Your skills speak volumes, and I believe you have a great deal to offer our organization. We also have a great deal that we can offer you in terms of training, weapons, and the further refinement of your skills. In the end, however, this is a choice that you alone can make. Should you join the Bulwark, the road ahead will be a dangerous one, and as is the case with nearly everything in life, your survival cannot be assured. However, if you choose to set out upon your own, it is very likely that Severan and the Forsaken Horde will attempt to capture you. Me, and the Elders, are here to aid you. Should you accept our offer, we will more than happy to welcome you into our ranks.”