Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 3)  (Read 36467 times)

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 3)
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2010, 09:45:10 AM »
Depheir was very amused because of Dethys' response. It was hard to believe for him that his mentor could dislike Cardack so much.

"But wait, there was a reason..."

Depheir regained his seriousness and analyzed the words about Cardack that Dethys told.

" He is dead..., but he is alive. It seems that he is an Ageless that fulfilled his Death Wound, but, thanks to some sorcery, his spirit is still alive. Perharps... a phylactery?"

Then he turned to Dethys.

"Let's get to work. Time is of the essence."

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2010, 11:23:52 AM »
It amazed Fenwick how quickly he had adapted and accepted Cardack. Sure, there was the fact that he was the living entity in his book-that-might-someday-according-to-prophecy-betray-him... Maybe that was it. Or it could've been that regardless, it was his book and his book was part of him. That tome was his.

It also surprised him then, to come up with a quick retort after Cardack had finished his rant.

"I never said I would prefer binding myself into that book. I'd rather bind myself to some immobile column or stone than live one day with you. You know what, just for that, I WILL read you in my bathroom, how's that for protection? It'll only be you in your book and me in my toilet! Safety!"

The words seemed to have just blurted out. He couldn't help but smile out loud to himself and the world.

"As for the offensive spells, I really just skipped that. How was I supposed to know I'd die and become immortal and have to fight to save all humanity!! What, did you know?"

Fenwick frowns slightly, his eyes shifting to his left as he pouts. "Maybe that's how my pages turned by itself. Was that you doing it all along?" He asks Cardack.

Questions aside, now that he looked around, it did seem like an infirmary. He wondered where Depheir and especially where Faran was.

A few knocks echoed around, accompanied with Dethy's distinct voice asking them to shut up.

"No!" is the obvious reply. He wasn't sure where that came from, but it was really breaking up the atmosphere.

Well... at least he knew Faran wasn't there. The two did not particularly click with each other.

"Erm... can anyone tell me where Faran is?"
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2010, 02:32:21 PM »
Sembas realizes his mistake as Archer pulls him out to the middle of the room.  He chuckles and rubs the back of his head nervously.

"Well, Faile certainly does have smaller feet than you..."  He blanches.  "Not to say that you have big feet!  You're not big at all!"  He bites his tongue.  "Not that you're a midget or anything..."

"Oh, hell...  Too much ale..."

He laughs, as he grabs Archer's hand and gently motions for her to spin by lifting it above her head and casually nudging his hand in a circle.  All the while he tries to keep his feet moving to the beat.

“What is this?!  More dancing foolishness?!”

A "Yip!" pops out of his mouth as he turns to see if Blood was going to tear his head off, but sighs in relief as she turns her attention back to Sig.

"Well then..."  he begins to say before noticing his foot planted firmly between Archer's own two feet.  "That was close!"

With another chuckle he continues trying to lead the dance and not step on Archer's toes, as little as they are...

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #63 on: October 29, 2010, 04:08:59 PM »
Sig is simply trying to have a good time. He had sobered up just a bit during the fighting. The ale here is weaker then what he's used to, but it will do. However, he has hardly gotten through his second tankard when the enraged warrior woman begins shouting at him. "Blood" is the woman's name, if he recalls correctly. Real spitfire. Heavily armored to boot, too. Obviously knows what she's doing in battle. Sig briefly wondered to himself why she had not been involved with the duel as he quaffed the rest of his tankard and ignored the ranting.

"When faced down by an army of Forsaken, what do you intend to do? Dance them to death?!”

Sig chuckled under his breath a bit at this. Alviss's blessed song had worked flawlessly, and on more then just the combatants in the ring.

The warrior woman Blood paused for a moment to shout something at Sembas, and then resumed her tirade at Sig.

"And another thing you diminutive little bastard…"

Sig wipes some ale from his beard and hops from his stool.

"Well, now. My musical charms obviously had SOME sway over you, lass. Otherwise you wouldn't be here shouting at me about it. It seems like a lot of your Legion were affected. Are you saying that you are weaker then the Forsaken, that they would be immune to something that most of your own are not?"

Sig grins a crafty grin. This comment was specifically designed to get under the powerful woman's skin. Sig intends on making this interesting.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2010, 09:38:43 AM »
@Fenwick:

Cardack crosses his arms over his chest in indignation as you make your toilet-based threats. “Well! I never!”

You proceed to asking him about the pages turning themselves, but he merely responds to your query with a sneer before asking Hestia to bear him away from “that horrible, ungrateful toad!”

Cleo sighs heavily. “He’s as petulant now as he ever was. I don’t know why he is so bloody sensitive. As for Faran, he’s in a room down the hall. He’s with Jonas now. Hestia says that he may wake soon.”

@Faran:

Jonas leans back in his chair and the piece of furniture creaks under his massive form. “Only a few hours. Hestia did a fine job of seeing that your bits were covered again, but not all the layers have reformed completely. It could be a few days yet.”

Right on cue, Hestia enters the room with a bowl of warm water and an armful of fresh bandages. She smiles warmly as she crosses to Faran’s side. “I’m glad to see you’re awake! You’re skin is healing quite well, but we’re going to want to bandage you up a bit to help you avoid infection. You might not die from such a thing, but no one wants to walk about smelling like moldy cheese.”

Jonas chuckles, a deep rumbling sound that shakes his large stomach. “I will leave you to it. I think I would do well with a bit of fresh air.” He makes his way towards the door of the recovery room and pauses in the threshold to look back at Faran. “I will return soon,” he assures.

Hestia kneels beside Faran and begins the arduous task of cleansing the newly reformed layers of skin and bandaging them while they heal. Despite the pain that Faran is currently in, every place that Hestia touches is absolved of any sense of agony. Whether it is some kind of spell or some innate ability remains to be seen. What is certain, is Hestia is a woman that is exceptional at her job. She works in silence, her focus only upon the task at hand.

After some time, she smoothes the hair from Faran’s brow and presses the warm, damp cloth against his forehead. “Though I know why Jonas showed you that, I lament that you needed to encounter such evil so soon. I recall the first time I saw the Forsaken at work, and it was a sight that I will never forget.”

Hestia’s countenance becomes filled with sorrow. “That was also the last day I ever saw my husband, Aldin. He was a brave and courageous man, albeit chivalrous to a fault.” She smiles sadly. “He held the path while I aided the women and children of the village in escaping.” Hestia shakes her head, as if dispelling the memory. “But that was a long time ago. At any rate, it is important for you to remember that the Forsaken will do all that they can to weaken you. You will experience pain. You will experience loss. However, in the end… I know you will triumph. You’re a strong young man, Faran Beshral, and with Jonas by your side, I know you will become stronger. He may be a stern teacher, but he is a good man.”

Hestia is silent for a moment. “However, I will caution you. Do not allow Jonas to channel those powers too often. In showing you what he did today, it could have killed him. Jonas is a bit of a rarity amongst us. He is an empath, which allows him to experience the feelings of his allies. It allows him to sense their motivations and discern things about them.”

“However, this ability is both a punishment and a curse. It is not my task to divulge Jonas’s story; that is something known only to a precious few, and only he can do it justice. But know this, Faran… Jonas’s blessing can also be seen as a curse. He has a death wound, just as we all do, but there is a second way that Jonas may meet his end. Should his empathic abilities overtake him completely, I am not sure if he would be able to endure it. The Divine works in unusual ways. I can only guess that this is his penance for his past.” 

“At any rate, take care with him, and do not allow him to overdo it. I would consider it a personal favor if you were to ensure he does not exceed his limitations.”

@ Depheir:

Dethys quickly tracks down Hestia, who informs him that you should be fine to go about your business. The mage leads you back to his clockwork mansion and into his laboratory. The sheer amount of tomes on the walls and magical spell components before you are daunting. There are jars of specimens, beakers filled with foul-smelling liquids, and several open books strewn about the room. Given the mess, it is quite apparent that Dethys has been hard at work.

“To be honest with you, I don’t think that a spell is going to do it this time. We need something that will cause a more lasting effect. I don’t know how long you will have to be undercover, so we need something that will endure indefinitely,” explains Dethys.

He leads you to a table near the center of the room. Upon the table, a large mortar and pestle rest and Dethys begins to grind the contents within. After some time, he dumps the mixture into a nearby beaker that is filled with an odd, green liquid. He uses a long, glass rod to stir the components, then hands you the glass.

“Bottoms-up.”

As you drink the liquid, you feel a strange, tingling sensation in your throat.

“Well?” asks Dethys.

You belch in reply, but immediately notice something is amiss. A gout of flame erupts from your lips and nearly burns Dethys’s eyebrows to a crisp.

“Well… I guess that formula is not quite correct.”

@Sembas:

Archer’s feet move lithely as you lead her around the dancefloor. Her steps are quick and well-executed, and though her movements are a bit more refined than your own, she does not complain when you nearly stomp upon her foot.

Across the room, you see Besnik and Faile perched upon either of Bran’s shoulders. The two bobble and bounce in unison, but after watching you for a bit, they decide to join you and your lady upon the floor. Bran seems quite grateful that the two fouls decided to depart and breathes an audible sigh of relief to be free from Faile’s watchful eye.

Besnik and Faile swoop around you and Archer in wide circles. Besnik dips low, nearly sweeping his talons upon the floor, while Faile arcs upward, giving you a playful sweep of her wing across the back of your hair as you continue to dance about with Archer.

When the song eventually ends, you and Archer are greeted with a room of applause as every person in attendance applauds your dance. That is, save for Sig and Blood who are apparently in the middle of a heated argument.

From somewhere in the back of the room, you hear a voice call out to you. "OY, LAD! That was pretty good! But I bet you I can do you one better!"

Smith makes his way to the center of the room and politely bows to Archer. "My dear lady." It appears that he is about to show you how to cut a proper rug by dancing with Archer, but instead, he turns to you and takes your hands in his. "Alright then, hot stuff. You lead."

@Sig:

Your insult has the desired effect and Blood bristles. Her face flushes a bright shade of crimson and you are quite certain that she is about to seize you from across the table and pulverize you into a bloody smear upon the floor.

“You dare to make such an attack on my honor? Very well. Let us settle this appropriately.”

The series of bouts that would follow would be talked about for years to come, and would serve as a testament to both Blood’s stubbornness and Sig’s resilience.

However, Blood, being a truly honorable person, would allow you to name the contest that would determine who was the superior warrior.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 09:54:57 PM by Faidth »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:47 PM »
I gave Hestia the best nod that I could, she had not yet tended to my head and neck and so the pain had not left me wholly. I tried to put respect into my nod as well, though I couldn't be sure how well it came through. While I tried to reassure Hestia as best I could, I hadn't the slightest idea as to how to stop Jonas if he entered such a mood. When he had decided to flay me, the others had been very vocal about his descision, but none of them had actually moved to stop him. That made me wonder how much of a chance I stood of changing his mind.

Empathy. It made me wonder exactly how Jonas had been one of THEM to begin with. Or had he aquired the gift only after leaving the ranks of the Forsaken? Or did he leave them because of the gift? Did he leave once he had learned how much pain and suffering he brought the world because of his actions? It seemed likely. I could have almost sworn that Jonas was harming himself as much as he was harming me out there. While my own wounds would heal, and could be tended, could the damage Jonas did to his soul be as easily healed? How much pain did this man carry around with him?

Would I ever be free of questions? The thought amused me. I simply lay as Hestia finished her work. I tried to think as much as I could on everything: being an apprentice to Jonas, the inevitable battle with Forsaken, my place among the Ageless. So many unknowns and I was eager to put them behind me.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2010, 09:26:38 AM »
How rude! A sneer in response. It was Cardack after all though, so it was not that big of a surprise.

He responds to Cleo. "I see. Then perhaps I should visit him soon. Did Hestia say it's fine for me to move around?"
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2010, 01:38:24 PM »
Depheir, previously impressed by Dethys's quick research, realized that he should expect that the formula isn't correct. Blood told him that Dethys can be easily distracted.

"Yes, it isn't correct", Depheir replied. "But I hope it will be prepared soon."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2010, 02:23:25 PM »
@Faran:

After several moments, you hear Jonas re-enter the infirmary. You can hear him discoursing with Hestia in the hallway, and you realize that the two immortals are obviously debating something. You can only hear bits and pieces, but are able to surmise that you are their topic of discussion.

“Not ready… needs time… rest…”

“Strong… he’ll adapt… must begin… running out of time…”

“Can’t rush… more harm than good…”

“Learn to endure… might save him one day…”

This conversation continues for several moments until you hear Hestia’s audible sigh and the conceding reply of “Fine.” She does not seem thrilled by the prospect of allowing you to leave her care so quickly. However, you know Jonas to be a rather convincing sort, and he has obviously managed to provide her enough reassurance to convince her to allow you to depart.

Jonas, his massive frame obscuring a great portion of the doorway, stands in the threshold of your room.

“Well. I do believe that you have napped long enough. If you are quite done indulging in your laziness, I believe we will be departing soon,” announces Jonas, a slight smile twitching the corners of his lips.

He turns on his heel and departs again. He is, indeed, a stern teacher, but if you are to fully understand the ways of the Forsaken, it seems Jonas Philosophy is your best possible source of information.

@Fenwick:

You can hear Hestia muttering to herself in the hallway. As she walks by your room, on her way to her study, you can see her throw up her hands and shake her head in disbelief.

“Hestia!” calls Cleo.

Hestia comes to an abrupt stop. Looking from Cleo to you, the anxiety upon her face quickly evaporates and she forces a comforting smile.

“Yes, dear?” responds Hestia.

“Is Faran alright to accept company?” asks Cleo.

Hestia frowns. “Me? I would say that he is in need of rest. But what do I know? I’ve only been a committed healer for hundreds of years! However, certain parties seem to think he is fine to be up and running around mere hours after being flayed alive! Perhaps while he’s at it, he can attach raw meat to him and allowed him to be chased by wild dogs! Perhaps he’ll allow him to roll around in the sand while his skin continues to heal!”

Hestia sighs in exasperation. “I’m sorry… I’m sorry.” She recollects her tranquility and her face becomes visibly more serene. “I’m sure he’s fine to accept company. If you wish to speak with him Fenwick, I’m sure he would not begrudge your company.”

@Depheir:

Dethys shakes his head as he ponders his mistake. “Hmm… This will require a bit more thinking. Why don’t you go out for a bit, Depheir? Get yourself some fresh air. Or maybe take a nap or something? You’ve had a rather rough day and the rest may do you some good. Or, perhaps you should stroll about Avalon. Find something constructive to do while I…” Dethys looks at the beaker ruefully. “Fix this debacle.”

Dethys dismisses you from his laboratory. As you exit the madman’s sanctuary, you pass a pretty young girl on the stairs. You recognize her as Serenity, one of Dethys’s assistants. She looks frantic and noticeably upset as she bustles about to and fro. You watch as she hurries into the living room where you can see Dethys’s wife, Carina, seated upon a small couch. Her face is pale and her skin is beaded with feverish sweat. Constancy, Serenity’s brother, is seated upon a chair nearby. In his arms, he cradles Dethys’s infant son, Laertan, who appears completely oblivious of his mother’s distress.

Serenity takes Carina by the arm and leads her up the stairs and towards the master bedroom. Serenity and Constancy exchange a knowing look as another racking cough affects Carina. Constancy’s gaze settles upon you and he wordlessly makes his way to another section of the house without properly acknowledging your presence.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2010, 12:58:27 PM »
A bit more color fills Sembas's cheeks as everyone applauds he and Archer's dance.

"OY, LAD! That was pretty good! But I bet you I can do you one better!"

Smith approaches them and bows to Archer.  Sembas begins to back away from the two of them just as Smith grabs his hands.

"Alright then, hot stuff. You lead."

Faile giggles in his mind as he stares at the blacksmith.  A smile cracks his lips as he raises their hands higher into the air.

"I knew I'd have to pay for those weapons eventually!"  He says, with a slathering of sarcasm.

He lets out a "Whoop!"  As he kicks up his heels and motions for Smith to spin as he'd done with Archer.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2010, 02:33:39 AM »
Hestia's response was certainly uncharacteristic of her, but it lasts for seconds before she regains composure, punctuated by her seemingly reluctant approval to allow Fenwick to visit Faran.

Oh well! A visit's a visit!

It takes Fenwick a few moments to find Faran's room, but he does so just in time to see Jonas walk off in the distance.

Faran lies upon the bed, bandaged in many areas, a cloth upon his forehead to supposedly keep a fever down. He was in terrible shape, but at first glance, did not seem to be angry or spiteful.

"Er, hello." Fenwick sits where Jonas was sitting previously. "How do you feel?"

It was perhaps an awkward start, but a start nonetheless. Faran had been an asshole before, but, as much as Fenwick could tell, that was because of his own views and perception of the Immortals.

With the battle, perhaps that had changed, and with that, perhaps a new start could be achieved between the two of them... at least thats what Fenwick hoped.

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »
Several snarky remarks came to mind immediately, but I held them all back, feeling bad for thinking them. It was bloody decent of Fenwick to visit. I hadn't had much contact with the man, indeed not much contact with any of my contemporaries in Avalon. That Depheir fellow was still a mystery.

“Not bad, all things considered.” I said, in response to his question. With a heave I sat up in bed. It wasn't that my muscles weren't working. I felt like I could run a mile. I was bracing myself against the pain of moving, thankfully lessened by Hestia's skill in her art. The pain was still there but it was like it was blocked by a wall of glass. It didn't touch me but I was still aware of its presence, menacing. “It's really amazing what Hestia can do.” I flexed a hand to demonstrate how little pain I was in.

My body was covered in fresh bandages. If I didn't know any better I'd have thought I was an embalmed corpse fresh from my tomb. Looking under the covers and finding myself decently covered (by the aforementioned bandages) I swung my legs off the side of the bed and stood. I wobbled a bit at first, My body was still in some form of shock, I assumed. I eyed Fenwick, wondering if he saw my faltering. No matter. I gave him a grin, no doubt it looked ghastly but I was trying for levity, damnit. “Really if that's the worst the Forsaken throw at us I think we'll be in good shape.”

I went for my clothes and began dressing myself. Sure, I was already covered but I think it's said somewhere: 'the clothing makes the man' or some such. “Jonas Philosphy, don't know if you've met him or not, has me on something of a schedule. He's agreed to train me in combat. We're going to need every edge we can get in this fight and there no time to waste.”

I stomped my boots, laced them up and stood, back twinging with a memory of pain. I looked at Fenwick then. It didn't look like he had gotten it too hard in... whatever sparring he'd been involved in. I was too busy bleeding to watch. I wondered, then, if I had been an example to the others. True, Fenwick, Sembas and Depheir had probably greatly benefited from.. the display, but my wounds could have had another purpose. I hadn't made a lot of friends in Avalon, and pissed off more than a few. I might have been an example of another sort. One that says: “Don't piss us off.” I could be imagining it. The pain in Jonas's eyes was genuine. I trusted him... but I had yet to see about some of the others.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2010, 11:31:32 PM »
Fenwick thinks he sees Faran's lips twitch a little before he replies. Not bad? For someone who had relatively just become immortal and had himself castrated and what not... he was not bad. Wow. If Fenwick was in that state instead, he was sure he'd be bitter to the core. Being humiliated was not healthy.

To prove his point, as Faran had already shown himself a man of action, he sat up. Surprisingly, he didn't seem to be in much pain, or if he was, he was hiding it with artful skill. He comments on Hestia's skills, flexing his hand either to test it or to further prove his point.

"Yea, we're lucky to have someone like her in our society."

Then there was that moment of silence. That comfortable one where all parties have their attention on a single thing. This 'thing' in this case was his body. Bandages were wound around, and it shamed Fenwick a little, seeing that, compared to his companion, he was barely scratched. Faran looks under his covers, and actually SWINGS his legs off.

Damn.

This was negated, thankfully, by some wobbling. Fenwick notices Faran eyeing back, but attempts to hide the fact that he had seen it. His following grin was nothing short of funny looking on him, made him look ghostly. But if that was the worst the Forsaken could do, he says, then we would be in good shape.

"You look like those monsters parents tell their children before bed. If the children could see you now, I think they'd be quite assured!" He jokes.

Well, in immediate hindsight that was a horrible joke, but what's said was said.

All this time, he dresses himself. Even though he was already bandaged, Fenwick looked out of the room simply for decency's sake.

Faran mentions that Jonas has him on a schedule.

"Well, seeing him against you, I think, is meeting him enough." Indeed, the pain they both felt was touching. Gruesome and disgusting and irksome, but touching and human.

It was only when he heard Faran stomping his boots and lacing them that Fenwick looked back. Coincidentally, Faran was looking back at him. It took a while, but eventually, Fenwick realised that Faran was accessing the damage that his own body had suffered. He hoped he didnt blush then, but he again looked away for good measure.

Another silence. Both lost in their own thoughts.

"So, will you be joining us?" Fenwick asked, hopeful, as he attempted to make eye contact with Faran.

The room seemed stuffy to him, or perhaps it was the fact that Fenwick had been lying down too much, but he decided to stand and pace around the room.

"I mean, you know, coming with us instead of going alone? I really hope you will."

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #73 on: November 16, 2010, 06:26:49 PM »
Fenwick seemed somewhat abashed by my scrutiny of him. I must have been looking a little more intently than I had intended, while lost in thought. A good sort, this one. Trustworthy. His question gave me pause, however. He deserved a little more in depth answer than I could give. I looked quickly around for my planned alternative to being asked sensitive questions like this. I spied what I needed, a desk with a quill and some small pieces of parchment.

I began walking over to the desk. “Oh, well, “ I said to the room. “I'm something of a wanderer and joining things really isn't my style.” I said while quickly scribbling on the paper. “Maybe once I have a reason to stick around, well, you know.” I finished scribbling and held the paper up for Fenwick to read.

Walls have ears. Ears named Dethys Night. Among others. Don't trust them yet. Don't KNOW them. Trust Jonas. I'm not going alone. I'm not joining either. WILL fight Forsaken.

I made sure Fenwick had read the note and then, with a soft note to my voice, the paper flashed to ash in my hand. I rubbed the ashes as fine as I could, making them vanish enough to avoid notice. I realized I probably looked a bit paranoid. Hey, I told him the truth. I didn't trust this place yet. I looked at Fenwick and shrugged, as if that could forgive my eccentricities.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #74 on: November 18, 2010, 09:42:27 PM »
Now that was very surprising... and discomforting.

Ears? Dethys Night? Dethys? Don't trust them? But they were good people! Dethys has a family!

"I see. I hope you'll reconsider." Fenwick said out loud to answer what Faran had spoken. Yet he couldn't help but mouth a bit 'What!!??!?!', frowning, going back and forth from the paper and Faran. Was this guy just freaking insane? Paranoid? Practical surely, but this!?!

On the other hand, Fenwick realised, he himself was quite naive. Yet, try as he might, he could not shake off the feeling that he could trust these people, Faran included.

As if in answer, Faran takes the paper and disintegrates it. He shrugs in reply. That too was surprising. Fenwick had braced himself for a counter or a lash out or something... Faran-ish.

Fenwick mirrors the shrug, scratches his head on the spot a bit, before giving a cough. "Right then, I'll see you later. Rest well!" He meant that last line. The line before? He wasn't sure if he actually wanted to.

He returns to his ward, grabs Cardack, and realised by that time that Cleo had gone somewhere. All for the better, he thought, he needed some alone time to take a walk.

And take a walk he did.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #75 on: November 23, 2010, 09:16:11 AM »
"Ah. It seems that he truly focused on the spell research. Okay, I won't disturb him."

Depheir left Dethys' room and felt distress as he saw everybody in the house is nervous yet. Serenity, one of Dethys' assistants, was noticeably upset. He watched as she hurried into the living room where Dethys’s wife, Carina, was seated upon a small couch. Her face was pale and her skin was beaded with feverish sweat. Constancy, Serenity’s brother, was seated nearby. In his arms, he cradled Dethys’s infant son, Laertan, who appeared completely oblivious of his mother’s distress.

Depheir observed the whole situation for a while. Moment after, he made an unnoticeable shrug gesture.

"It isn't my problem. She will be fine."

He went outside Dethys' house and began to stroll about Avalon.

" I have to visit every place here before I'll go to Darastae. It's a truly beautiful city."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2010, 12:09:19 PM »
@Sembas

Muse begins to strum another rousing tune and you quickly find that Smith is quite an adept dancer. He is surprisingly fleet-footed for a man built like a bulldog. His steps are lithe and his movements graceful as he spins about the room with you. He dips, twirls and hops about before hoisting you into the air over his head and spinning you around in wide circles.

He tosses you high into the air, so high that you can feel your heels graze the rafters. Once you descend, he catches you in his arms like a pretty maiden, then sets your feet upon the floor again. He proceeds to place his fists upon his hips and his feet lapse into a merry jig. He gestures for you to copy his movements and you find that you are quite good at it.

The rest of the tavern patrons clap in time and Archer laughs at the antics between you and the Smith. As the dance ends, Smith gives a gracious bow before crossing to the bar for another pint.

Archer throws her arms around your neck and plants a gentle kiss upon your cheek before steering you back to the table where the Bran, Faile, Besnik and Dennan smilingly await you. She guides you to a seat between herself and Dennan as the latter claps you upon the back.

“Very nice, Sembas,” remarks Dennan agreeably.

Bran is staring into a tankard of ale that Sig had previously thrust into his hands. He sniffs the liquid warily, then squinches his face in disgust.

Dennan appears amused at his brother’s reaction, but his attention is quickly drawn elsewhere. He sniffs the air, as if scenting something upon the subtle breeze that washes through the open window at the front of the tavern. A look of concern crosses over his face and he promptly dismisses himself from the table with a terse, “Excuse me.”

Several moments after Dennan’s hasty departure, Aloysius Keeper enters the tavern. He scans the room, as if looking for someone specific. His gaze settles upon Archer and he quickly crosses the room. Archer, noticing his path, rises to her feet.

“Keeper. What is it?” inquires Archer curiously.

Keeper’s expression is grim, but he says nothing to betray the true reason for his visit. He simply says, “You’re needed at the Bulwark, Archer. The General has requested that you bring your companion as well.” He gestures to you with a slight nod.

Archer takes you by the hand and motions for you to follow her through the streets of Avalon and towards the Bulwark’s Headquarters. You take the same, familiar path that you once trod to reach the location of The Blood-Wardens and soon find yourself escorted to General Fury’s offices.

The General stands by the glowing orb that serves as a communication device. Her brow is furrowed and her expression ill-at-ease.

“What do you mean you don’t know where he is?” demands Fury. Though she does not raise her voice, there is an unpleasant edge to it as if she is attempting to mask her own anxiety.

The voice on the other end is calm and collected. “He was to leave in the company of the Archon, but he asked to stay behind. The last we saw him, he was obliterating the Adversary’s creatures, but he simply vanished. No one could sense him, there was nothing of him left. We know he was not destroyed… we would have felt it.”

“Then they took him. Where?” questions Fury.

“We believe the Forsaken intend on constructing a new outpost not far from Il’adoul. If that is the case, then the local human population may be in imminent danger. They may be holding Aras there.”

“If there is any truth to this, we should scout the area and see what they’re really up to. We may have to evacuate the humans for their own safety. Even if we can drive off the Forsaken, I have the feeling they’ll be back again. Il’adoul has no strategic value to them. They must be looking for something,” Fury reasons.  “I’ll send a small party to investigate, and if need be, eliminate any threats. Thank you, Antiman. And do not fear for Aras. We’ll see that we get him back safely.”

“Thank you, General.”

The orb grows dark and General Fury turns to regards you and Archer. “That was Antiman of the Shar’ada,” she explains to you. “The Shar’ada are a group of our mortal allies, but their leader, Aras, is one of us.” 

Archer sighs heavily. “So, Aras has gone missing. I suppose you’ll want me to look for him.”

Fury frowns. “What has past is in the past, Archer. Despite the problems between you and Aras, he is still our companion and we cannot simply abandon him to the will of the Adversary. Besides, if the rumors of this new outpost are correct, than there are a number of humans who could be in danger. It is our duty to protect them.”

“I understand, General.” Archer gives an obedient bow.

“I will send a small company with you, but it must be small. If I send too many of our people, the Adversary will see us coming a mile away,” explains Fury. “I want you to take Sembas with you. Show him how to track, how to scout, and how to hide amongst the shadows. These are all skills he will need if he is to aid us.” Fury turns to you. “I trust you have no objections, Sembas?”   

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #77 on: November 29, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »
Smith turned out to be more nimble than Sembas would have guessed.  The falconer couldn't help but laugh as he follows along with the surprisingly graceful blacksmith.  He matches his unexpected dancing partner's bow before Archer collects him with a kiss on the cheek and returns him to the table.

Sembas was nearly getting used to Dennan's claps on the back by now.  He was even able to keep the sip of ale he had just taken in his mouth during the big man's gesture of approval.

After swallowing, Sembas chuckles out a, "Thanks!" before shaking his head at Smith procuring another pint at the bar.

Just then Dennan excuses himself and Keeper arrives moments later.  Something is going on, and he wonders what Dennan knew that he left so suddenly.

The Bulwark's Headquarters is a familiar sight.  It's not long before he and Archer were standing before General Fury.  Faile of course would never stand with being left behind, and she perches on his shoulder waiting intently to hear what they were summoned for.

Fury speaks with the orb, and an individual seems to be in trouble.  Archer's heavy sigh results in a curious glance from Sembas.  Apparently there was some history between this Aras and her.  He will have to ask her about it later... delicately.

“I trust you have no objections, Sembas?”

"No, General.  While I've had meager experience tracking small game in the woods back home, there is much I'd like to learn.  And I can't think of anyone better than Archer to teach such things.  I am greatful that you are allowing me to accompany her for this task."  He finishes his statement with a bow towards General Fury, followed by another for Archer.

"At your command, my lady."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2010, 10:10:23 PM »
@Sembas:

“We’ll prepare at once,” responds Archer with a slight bow to the General. She leads you out of the Bulwark Headquarters and back to her home. The short trip back to her arboreal abode is shrouded by stony silence. Archer says nothing, and her demeanor seems to have changed quite drastically. There is no trace of that pleasant smile lingering upon her lips, and her hazel eyes have taken upon a stormy quality, with a gaze so cold it could freeze hell itself.

You watch as she gathers her belongings and Besnik, too, appears to be aiding her in gathering materials. He flies to and fro, gathering vials, arrows, and other components for the journey, then carries them to the bed where Archer has laid her pack.

Archer runs her hand through her dark brown hair and shakes her head in discontentment. “I’m sorry, Sembas. I do not mean to be so ill at ease. Aras… the man we have been sent to rescue…” Archer’s posture slumps and she wearily seats herself upon the bed. She leans forward, her elbows resting upon her knees.

Archer looks up at you, offering a wan smile as an apology. “Well… I guess it really should not matter. What is in the past is best forgotten. Aras was a large part of my life, but that is no longer an issue. We shall do as the General bids us, but we will not tarry in the company of Aras for long. Gather your things, Sembas. I must gather our company. I shan’t be long. When I return, we will claim some rest, then we will depart at first light." 

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #79 on: December 09, 2010, 06:15:54 PM »
Sembas's thought to ask Archer about Aras waned during the short walk to her house.  Whatever happened between them certainly left Archer in a less than cheery mood.  Either the two had very clashing personalities and did not get along, or they got along too well and had kept companionship for a time.  He wasn't sure which would be worse, rescuing a man his leader and... daresay lover couldn't stand, or rescuing her former love.

Upon arriving at her house her demeanor did not warm at all.  For the first time in Avalon Sembas felt out of place. 

He is standing, leaning against the wall when Archer runs her hand through her hair and shakes her head.

“I’m sorry, Sembas. I do not mean to be so ill at ease. Aras… the man we have been sent to rescue…”

She slumps before sitting on the bed.  The situation is making her visibly fatigued.  Apparently this was effecting her quite a lot.  Her weary smile is far from convincing.

“Well… I guess it really should not matter. What is in the past is best forgotten. Aras was a large part of my life, but that is no longer an issue. We shall do as the General bids us, but we will not tarry in the company of Aras for long. Gather your things, Sembas. I must gather our company. I shan’t be long. When I return, we will claim some rest, then we will depart at first light."

Sembas pushes off from the wall and shoos Faile off of his shoulder.  She silently glides over to the window and perches on the sill.

He flicks back his hood as he paces over to the bed.  Taking a seat next to Archer, he wraps his arm around her shoulders.

"He must have meant a great deal to you, to effect you so.  Sometimes things...  Well, you see fate..."

He sighs and hugs her tighter.  "I'm afraid I'm not as eloquent as I'd like to be right now."  He frowns and pauses for a moment.  "Regardless of what happened in the past, just know that I'm not going anywhere."  With that he kisses her on the cheek and rises to his feet.

"Although I may need to leave and clock this Aras fella a good one for making you so sad!"  He comically shakes his fist at the wall, before adding, "after we rescue him, of course..."