Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: MH:The Secret Flight of the Vilya - PART 1: A Troublesome Crew OOC Thread.  (Read 37098 times)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
OOC Now Open.

Please keep all Out of Character discussion in this post.  If you have comments about your most current post please post them here.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:12:53 PM by Castellan »

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
Re: Misthaven:The Secret Flight of the Vilya(OOC Thread)
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 10:11:21 PM »
Yay!    ;D  (even though I don't have a current post, I thought I could at least express a sentiment here.)

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: Misthaven:The Secret Flight of the Vilya OOC Thread
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:23:09 AM »
Ok, well the post shall be finished tonight.  In the mean time I feel I should get the ball rolling and describe what will be expected in Battler's first posts.   I'm planning on leaving battler's first posts open ended so you can describe where your character is and how they end up doing, etc. 

Essentially the first post will end something like this and is mostly story and description which is why it's been hard for me to write it all.   

* Lark will leave the legislator pretty much being forced into going on the mission to find the Vilya. 

*He will head back to the Aerodrome where his Aeroship is located and I'll describe what the Aero looks like as it will pretty much be the bounce off point for adventuring.

*He'll return to find his companion Grumbald Aleheart(Halfling) distraught.  Grumbald tells Lark the crew has been threatened by both Parth Sinder and Tellos Stormslade and have mutinied for fear toward their families and their own lives.  Lark informs Grumbald of the two run-ins and with the Legislator's mission.   

*Lark is left now without a crew, without supplies, with 3 days left before he is hunted down and no place to escape to without Tellos Stormslade having a Privateer connection being found there. 

*Lark sends Grumbald Aleheart on a desperate recruiting mission, telling him that they are leaving in two days and to beg, lie, or cheat any new crew members to join his crew.

Now here is where it's up to the Battlers and their own creativity.  I am giving full GOD-MODDing privileges to you for Grumbald Aleheart for youto describe an interesting way to join the crew.   It's up to you how your character will join the crew but there are a couple rules.

You can't kill anyone unless it is lawful.  You can't kill hurt or maim Grumbald Aleheart.  Once you decide to join the crew Grumbald Aleheart will leave your character to find the next crew member.  You can write up where ever you want to in the Lower dregs of Mistvald for your character to meet Grumbald.   

Grumbald is a dapper but friendly Halfling who is bearded and sorta if I can find a real modern day equivilant to the Halfling/Gnome guy from The Chronicles of Narnia Prince Caspian movie.    He is quick to anger and speaks his mind.  He has a gruff voice, and loves to complain, which is why his nickname is "Grumble".     He has red hair and beard and is middle aged. Grumbald has green eyes and has a love of Ale and bar life. 

Grumbald will start searching that night(once Lark returns it is now dark) and take a nap sometime in the middle of the night and then return to searching in the morning(it's up to you if your character gets picked up in a bar or doing some late night activity.) Perhaps your character can save Grumbald from thieves or from temptations(gambling, ladies of the night, scam artists).      Your character can be picked up during the day also.  It's up to you, but the end result is that you will have to report to the Mistvald aerodrome by sunset.  If you'd like you could PM your ideas to see if you'd like some input or if it's not too farfetched.   The posts don't have to be in order or sequential the first post could be during the day the next night. It doesn't matter as long as the end result is the same.   Your post can be as long or as short as is necessary to describe how you ended up being convinced to join the Vilya crew.  You can create all the dialog that you need from Grumbald.    He isn't dumb though.  If you need input just send me a PM and ask questions.  An example would be how would Grumbald feel if he enountered an elf or anything.

The Reason I'm posting this is because I really hate that I haven't got the post finished and I want characters to start working on their ideas.   Please let me know what you think.

I pretty much wanna get the crew coming together part of the story so that we can get into the adventure.   Please PM me or post questions here and check back for the update tonight.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:19:59 AM by Castellan »

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 08:08:25 PM »
Hey, here's a heads-up about Clang:

At the moment, he's got no idea of what the heck is going on.  Clang's first post will involve him stumbling into town, perhaps being beset by some nasty folks, and joining up with one of the other Players who comes to his rescue.  At some point during this process he'll also get his name.

I'm hoping to work with another Player (looking for volunteers here!) to take him under their wing for this first bit - then when that player joins Grumbalt, they can ask Clang to come along.  I'm not sure Clang is yet in any position to make any real decisions on his own.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 08:41:50 PM »
Alfons would be very interested in clang, me thinks.

Let me know what you think, we had spoken briefly in pm about it.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
The board battle rules says:

'we called this God-Modding. The Administrator would like to get away from using that term. The new term for this is "Being a horrible douchebag." '

Wait a sec... I'm not a douchebag :O

:P

I'm thinking of joining in the morning. However, I need someone else to post and that person join first. I plan to let Serassey overhear the conversation and pretty much blackmail Grumbald into letting him join.

Soul, might get Serassey to dislike Clang. It'll be an abomination to elves and I think I'll get him to like Clang overtime, or hate him more when he realises Clang has personality. We'll see.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 11:51:16 PM »
Alfons would be very interested in clang, me thinks.

Let me know what you think, we had spoken briefly in pm about it.

Hey Sepher, I think Alfons would be a great choice to meet/rescue Clang to start off with. It it's ok with you, either please hold off briefly with posting once the thread opens so I can get an intro post in first and explain where Clang ends up, and then you can include running into him in your intro post already, or leave an opening in your first post for Alfons to run into Clang.

Soul, might get Serassey to dislike Clang. It'll be an abomination to elves and I think I'll get him to like Clang overtime, or hate him more when he realises Clang has personality. We'll see.

This makes perfect sense to me.  And it could potentially lead to something quite interesting in the future too...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 12:13:14 AM by Soul Reaver »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
Hey, that's fine with me soul, i'll hold off until you post intro post, and I'll bounce off you there.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
The board battle rules says:

'we called this God-Modding. The Administrator would like to get away from using that term. The new term for this is "Being a horrible douchebag." '

Wait a sec... I'm not a douchebag :O

:P

I'm thinking of joining in the morning. However, I need someone else to post and that person join first. I plan to let Serassey overhear the conversation and pretty much blackmail Grumbald into letting him join.

Those rules apply to other CHARACTERS not NPC's.  The rules also say a battlemaster has the say on how the Battle is to be run.   In the interests of story you don't have to have control of Grumbald if you don't want to.  I was just using him as a plot device for characters to create an interesting introduction and get the crew creation part out of the way.    I had spoken with you in PM about your character's part in the upcoming battle you have the option to stick with that idea or come up with a new on entirely.  It's up to you.  If you have any questions let me know.   I should have the story up tonight, this weekend I had a bunch of scheduled activities I attended and was sapped out of my time.   Please PM me if you have any ideas or have any questions.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 10:55:22 AM »
The following is an excerpt from the Official Board Battle Rules, Rule 8.

"You post for YOUR CHARACTER ONLY, and NEVER POST THE RESULTS OF YOUR ACTIONS unless directly instructed to by the Battle Master."

By virtue of this line, the Battle master retains the right to waive this rule at any time, as he or she sees fit.

If Castellan tells you to god-mod something, you do it.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 11:05:47 AM »
Well, it's not a requirement more of a suggestion for this part of the battle.  If you don't want to please submit a PM and we can come up with an idea.   The GMing of Grumbald is more the catalyst for everyone to come up with your own creative story etc.   I didn't want to waste a month + asking so where is everyone and well Grumbald does this or says this etc wasting board space on stuff that doesn't advance the story.

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »
I have my intro post ready.  Should we just start a new post for intros or would you prefer we reply to your post when it's ready?  Either way is cool with me. 

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »
I'll wait for your post then.  I'd like to be as true to what you post as possible.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 08:20:48 PM »
I can open it up again.  The intro post for you is more of a character intro to the story.  Like the opening scene of a movie.  I'm pretty much letting everyone open the scene up to their own characters.   I'll open it now and finish my end of the post tonight.   The only problem that might come up is if I put anything else into the post that may change how your character would react in your first post.   Please remember that when you post it can only be editted by the Battlemaster.

Wait, wait... posts can only be edited by the battle master?  What if I misspell something (which I do often) or want to add in some more descriptive language, or fix the overuse of a word or two?

I mean, I realize why you wouldn't want someone completely changing their post around, but we really should allow small edits like that.  Especially since I'm a major culprit of the above.

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 09:37:40 PM »
Quote from: Soul Reaver
Wait, wait... posts can only be edited by the battle master?  What if I misspell something (which I do often) or want to add in some more descriptive language, or fix the overuse of a word or two?

You could always try going over your post a few times in wordpad or something before you actually, y'know, post it.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 09:38:51 PM »
I can open it up again.  The intro post for you is more of a character intro to the story.  Like the opening scene of a movie.  I'm pretty much letting everyone open the scene up to their own characters.   I'll open it now and finish my end of the post tonight.   The only problem that might come up is if I put anything else into the post that may change how your character would react in your first post.   Please remember that when you post it can only be editted by the Battlemaster.

I know this isn't my battle, and thus probably none of my business. But wouldn't you think the right to edit posts should be reserved for the player? It might put a bit of a damper on the game if you have a bunch of people saying "Oh wait, I meant this instead" or if they weren't satisfied with their post.

It wasn't much problem with the old boards when we could edit our posts of our own impetus, rather than rely on the battle host to do it for us. In some ways, it's like asking permission to change your mind in a forum that is based on free thought.

In a board that (inspite of the way the rules are communicated) encourages the vastness of expressing oneself, if that right is limited by posts being edited only by one person instead of the players that posted them in the first place, then what's the point? Just tossing it out there. Not trying to flame or troll. Do what you want with it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:41:33 PM by Danyael »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Tamrissa

• Primarch
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2010, 10:08:56 PM »
I took it to mean that it was only like that until Castellan got the rest of his initial post up, but maybe I am wrong.  It'll be cleared up then.  No biggie.  :)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »
Woah, hey. Wait a minute. Please, all of you, be aware that the rule where only the Battle Master can edit posts is NOT sa standard Board Battle rule. if anything, that is a custom rule that Castellan made up for this battle.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 06:05:31 AM »
Oh... Yeah. I confused the Character Creation Guidelines with the battleboard rules.    No you can edit posts as long as your actions do not change.  Grammar, Spelling, adding or removing detail(not relevant to the story) can be altered or changed.  I didn't get home till late last night so I didn't get a chance to update the post.  I hate delaying over and over when I feel passionate about the story.    I like this setting a lot and wanna explore it with everyone who joined.   

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2010, 07:55:57 AM »
Those rules apply to other CHARACTERS not NPC's.  The rules also say a battlemaster has the say on how the Battle is to be run.   In the interests of story you don't have to have control of Grumbald if you don't want to.  I was just using him as a plot device for characters to create an interesting introduction and get the crew creation part out of the way.    I had spoken with you in PM about your character's part in the upcoming battle you have the option to stick with that idea or come up with a new on entirely.  It's up to you.  If you have any questions let me know.   I should have the story up tonight, this weekend I had a bunch of scheduled activities I attended and was sapped out of my time.   Please PM me if you have any ideas or have any questions.

No worries, I got the rules. Just the sound of it made me chuckle, didn't mean for it to come off as attacking you or anything Castellan :) apologies.

I'll be sticking with it, and I've pretty much got what to post planned out.

Looking forward to it!
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.