Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Like Platform games? Not after these...  (Read 5166 times)

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
Like Platform games? Not after these...
« on: October 02, 2010, 11:35:33 AM »
So you've mastered Mario, beaten dracula countless times as a Belmont, know every single platforming trick in the book, seen what humanity has had to offer to challenge your jumping skills...

...not until you see these two games.

First, introducing 'Eversion'.

http://zarat.us/tra/offline-games/eversion.html

It looks very cute, like every other platformer ever invented... at first glance. The story is simple. The princess is kidnapped. You must save the princess. As you finish the game (which takes around 2 hours, it's very short), you'll find that you have to switch between the different realities of each level through an 'eversion'. Everything seems to be the same.... except it seems... darker.

It's very H.P. Lovecraft inspired, so I can gurantee some spooks and scares, but once you see them and get past them you'll be able to take it.

Up to a certain point before it becomes unnerving again. As stated, it's quite short, so it's perfect for busy players like you.

The second, 'I Wanna Be The Guy'

http://www.bigdownload.com/games/i-wanna-be-the-guy/pc/i-wanna-be-the-guy-full-game/

This game is pure sadism. It was made in 2007 (so I think you may have heard of this one), paying tributes to most of the platforming games made in history. It seems innocent enough, but you'll quickly realise how insane it really is.

It's also quite short, so you can beat it in 20 minutes... if you're a master. In reality, it'll take you over a few months to finish if you're busy, and you'll end with perhaps 2000+ deaths (Your death count displays when you load). Don't worry though, we don't blame you, it's hard. It was meant to be. In fact there's only medium, hard, very hard, and impossible, with the only differences being in the number of save points. Hard is the default difficulty.

Medium gives you more, but the extra save points are labelled 'wuss'. Surely you aren't one, right?

Impossible has NO save points. It's been done (see youtube for proof), perhaps you can be the next?

Hope you enjoy both games! Note that I'm not sure how safe the downloads are, so you may want to find other sources you trust if you don't feel comfortable.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
Re: Like Platform games? Not after these...
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:18:12 PM »
I've played both of these before.  I heartily recommend Eversion to everyone here, it's an awesome game with a very simple but brilliant game mechanic.

I Wanna be the Guy is for masochists only.  While I recommend giving it a go, since the concept is hilarious, I recommend against wasting valuable hours of your life on it.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 09:54:32 AM »
I played I wanna be the guy. It is recommended for only those who have A) lots of free time, b) A wanton desire to come back later and finish things, C) someone who enjoys watching the character die numerous times in crazy ways. Hope you're one of these.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:10:54 AM »
Did either of you finish the game?
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:47:40 PM »
Did either of you finish the game?

I have To the Bitter End to finish making, so no. :P

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 10:05:45 AM »
I almost finished the game, but died somewhere around the second boss. and didn't pick back up. I did watch a Let's Play of it on youtube, however.

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 03:03:54 PM »
I beat Eversion awhile back. It's not that hard of a game, and I'm a big fan of lovecraftian or otherwise cosmic horror inspired themes.

Never beat IWBTG, the furthest I've gotten is just after Dracula.

Oldschool Platformers aren't really my thing, though.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 03:53:15 PM »
I beat Eversion awhile back. It's not that hard of a game, and I'm a big fan of lovecraftian or otherwise cosmic horror inspired themes.

I did beat Eversion too, because it was short, fun and awesome.

I Wanna Be The Guy is the one I lack the time and patience for at the moment.  Unless beating it results in my CD drive opening up to mysteriously contain a stack of $100 bills, I feel like the time investment I'd need to finish it isn't really worth it.

That's not to say that it isn't a cool idea.

By the way, here's another platformer (with an interesting idea) for you to try: http://www.kongregate.com/games/raitendo/you-only-live-once