Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: What are you all playing these days?  (Read 6254 times)

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
What are you all playing these days?
« on: July 09, 2012, 10:02:36 AM »
I'm still blowing up things in D3 these days, but I'm starting to look for something else to play.  So I figured I'd ask around.

I'm not too concerned playing the newest stuff either.  Anything old and fun is awesome too.  Speaking of which it might be time for another FF 6 or 7 or tactics playthrough...  Hmmm...

But either way, this can be a general, "Oh snap this game I just picked up is awesome!" thread.  So, what are you playing?

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: What are you all playing these days?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »
Well if you don't need any high-end craziness, there's lots of free games at http://www.kongregate.com/  For some reason I don't feel right recommending any of the full-price games I've been playing lately, especially since I got them on Steam sales that are no longer available.

I've played through a lot of their tower defense games, and they're pretty solid; the Gemcraft series and Protector series have the most depth I think.  If you're looking for an RPG, Mardek has pretty solid mechanics, with a story that doesn't take itself too seriously for me to take it seriously (if that makes sense).  Also, the Monster Den series is a pretty fun little stat-stacking dice-rolling little RPG.  Like any good RPG, it's a bit rough to get started on, but great once you get your momentum.

However, I will never discourage a person from playing FF6 again.  Pretty much my favorite RPG ever, if not entirely because of nostalgia.  Maybe see if you can find all of Shadow's dream sequences this time around? :P

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 05:22:05 PM »
What I am playing right now is D3, but I am also mixing it with The Witcher and will soon be playing WItcher 2. As for some older games, I would recommend Arcanum with some modes. Two of my friends played it recently and are quite satisfied and it is an involving game with a grate open world.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 07:35:42 PM »
I'm playing the witcher 2, Skyrim with excessive amounts of mods, Dota 2, and occasionally whatever the hell I feel like.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:35:25 AM »
I actually have a copy of Arcanum sitting around that I never got past the first 2 hours or so of gameplay.  What mods would you recommend?

FF6 almost won out, but I fired up FF7 last night and almost threw up.  Then I realized the game is 15 years old.  Once the story got started I settled down a little.  Still not certain I'm going to stick with it.

How is the Witcher series?  I've heard good things.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 11:38:43 AM »
Well I like the first game and I haven’t played the second one yet.

So I will only talk about the first game.

I like the fact that there are a lot of quests even though they are not very rewarding. I put an emphasis on “a lot”. There are plenty of secondary quests and you have to go around finding them. If you like exploration and enjoy doing something extra than the main story you will like the amount of quest going on about. None of the quests are repeatable, which is a plus in my book. I also like that there is a lot to do. You can gamble, fistfight, meddle in alchemy and fight monsters. And it isn’t farmers friendly, because if you intend to farm it will take a lot of time. One last thing, I know it’s not really something important but it is a plus. Your character can have sex with quite a few of the female characters in the game, if you speak with everyone, and he is a bad ass.

What I don’t like is mainly the combat system. It is a bit stiff and it doesn’t allow a lot of flexibility when fighting. For me this is not an enormous disadvantage because on last difficulty it still stays somewhat hard and I occupy myself with thoughts on how to survive without spending a lot of money on alchemy. Another thing that some might consider a down side is the fact that there is no fast travel. If you need to go somewhere you go there on foot and that is that.

The graphics and sound are very good for a 2007 game and I find them enjoyable. If they find it within themselves to forgive the almost constant clipping of Gerald’s (your character) hair through the sword on his back, there isn’t much that people won’t like graphic wise. The sound helps set the atmosphere and the overall appearance of the medieval world is well made. I like that they have tried to keep it realistic when making the designs for the levels and buildings.

The graphics and sound are very good for a 2007 game and I find them enjoyable. If they find it within themselves to forgive the almost constant clipping of Gerald’s (your character) hair through the sword on his back, there isn’t much that people won’t like graphic wise. The sound helps set the atmosphere and the overall appearance of the medieval world is well made. I like that they have tried to keep it realistic when making the designs for the levels and buildings. 

Lastly if you like the first game and want to play the second game as well, save your save files because you can import them into the second game.

As for mods for Arcanum.

http://www.terra-arcanum.com/downloads/section/arcanum

I use the main module expansion, the high resolution patch and the unofficial patch.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 05:51:24 PM »
It's actually Geralt. Geralt of Rivia. But yes, there are some issues with the Witcher 1. All of those issues are generally fixed in the witcher 2. Especially the 360 version.

The combat is much more streamlined, falling into a combination of light/heavy attacks. Alchemy is significantly more streamlined, but you will have to use it more, even on easy. Oils for your blades and potions to keep you alive will make sure that you manage to keep the edge in a fight, and the silver sword/steel sword damage differentiation is significantly more evident.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 02:48:34 AM »
Well I highly recommend both Red Dead Redemption and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.  I've also gotten into League of Legends (thanks Fei.....) and there's always *cough* SWTOR *cough* you can always *cough* transfer to Jedi Covenant *cough* (man I might need to see a doc about this crazy cough).  Seriously though, if you start playing (or already are playing) League of Legends feel free to leave your summoner name here, ill add you next time im on.
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:39:53 AM »
I don't have much time to get into another MMO, otherwise I might check out SWTOR again.

I have an  account on League of Legends.  I'll pop in for a few games.  I'll go dig up my summoner name.  Gonna be all kinds of rusty.

The Witcher 1&2 sound really good.  If I can find a steam sale I'll pick them up.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2012, 07:53:02 PM »
Well, if you guys need a solid support let me know. :P  I play a mean Soraka and Alistar.  Jungle Skarner isn't bad either.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2012, 11:55:57 PM »
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention I play LoL a lot too. But to be fair, DotA 2 is taking up more of my time than LoL currently. Mostly because I never played much DotA in WC3, and so the heroes are all new and entertaining.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 01:30:39 AM »
Dota => Dota2 >>>>> LoL

Enough said

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 01:10:30 PM »
I wouldn't say that. It's more of which experience you're more bored of and which you feel like playing. They're two different experiences. But i never played Much DotA before getting into DotA 2, and I'd been playing league for a very long time, so DotA 2 is currently more interesting.

Likewise one of my friends who played nearly 2000 games of DotA is currently more interested in League of Legends than DotA 2 since it is newer to him.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2012, 03:22:47 PM »
I just created a smurf account for LoL: Kelvack2 is the summoner name.

Kelvack is my main, but its a lvl 29 and I'm not ready to play at that level right now :/

We should organize a Administorum game sometime!

I'd also be up for DotA 2.  Never played DotA so it would be interesting.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2012, 02:35:33 PM »
Non-smurf: Essential Oils
Smurf: Nonessential Oils

Go ahead and add me and I'll add you guys back whenever I get around to getting on.  If we want to arrange something, I have the entire quarter off so I'm free just about whenever.