Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Poll

Would you be interested in participating in the Estershadow Board Battle?

Yes
4 (80%)
No
1 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Author Topic: New BB- Estershadow (The Five Kingdoms)  (Read 13949 times)

Offline Faidth

• Captain
New BB- Estershadow (The Five Kingdoms)
« on: October 17, 2010, 12:56:21 PM »
Title: Estershadow

Story Arc: The Five Kingdoms

Setting: Fantasy

Battle Master: Faidth

Start Date: (tentative) Second week of November

Pertinent Details:

- You play a heroic mortal. Magic can be involved in the setting and can be as integral or supplemental as the characters wish.

- Through the course of the BB, your hero will age, thus allowing for characters to be retired or killed in action, hence allowing for new characters to be introduced by a player as they see fit (though no character ADD, folks.)

- As per Greymore's request, I will include an arena plot-line that will allow for challenges (or perhaps PVP upon request only.)

- As per the request of Shadow Chorus, this campaign will be designed to have a "good, old-fashioned, D&D feel."

- As per Angie's request, there will be an option to pursue a war campaign, should your characters choose to do so.

Background:

- You and your fellows are adventurers. During your quests, you will find valuable artifacts that are sought after by particular kingdoms. You decide which kingdom receives the artifacts, and in the process, you will journey to these five lands of Estershadow to learn more about them.

- You may choose to Aid or Sabotage the kingdoms in order to forge alliances or increase hostilities.

- You will meet several representatives of other races along the way. These NPCs will make excellent traveling companions, or perhaps, formidable allies for the kingdoms that you choose to aid.

- In the end, you decide which kingdom(s) you will ally with. Your choices will change the face of Estershadow forever.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 05:45:12 PM by Faidth »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
Re: New BB- Estershadow (The Five Kingdoms)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 12:27:08 AM »
Kingdom I: Redfield
(The Heart of Estershadow)

Ruler: Queen Edennia Adeyrn

Titles: The Virgin Queen, The Steel-Hearted, The Benevolent

Epithets: The Chastity Belt, The Shrew of Redfield

Redfield is ruled by Queen Edennia, the only child of the late King Felix. Redfield is a predominantly patriarchal society. Tradition dictated that the kingdom would be awarded to the closest male relation.

However, when King Felix died, he left in his wake a great deal of scandal, as he appointed his daughter his heir. By rights, his younger brother, Duke Calmon, should have taken the throne. However, King Felix worried that the kingdom would fail under the rule of his rash and perpetually temperamental brother.

Since being crowned, Queen Edennia has been a model monarch. However, she has refused to take a husband, despite the promises of many capable suitors.  Should she marry, the rule of Redfield would then be transferred to her new husband, and Edennia does not feel that any of her suitors would be up to the task of ensuring the kingdom’s prosperity.

Duke Calmon publicly praises his niece. However, behind the scenes, he is a much different person. He believes that his niece is awarding too much freedom to her fellow females, and that this great influx of female self-confidence may be damaging the nation. He maintains that the only true monarch for Redfield would be a king, and he has not counted himself out of the race just yet.

Queen Edennia knows that Redfield is the Heart of Estershadow. She greatly believes in the strength of her people, and prides herself on aspiring to be as fair and just a ruler as her father ever was. While not opposed to alliances, she is naturally suspicious of others, and does not actively seek to ally with other countries. She knows that the greatest threat to her power will likely come from within, but does not discount the military might of Tarvus Bullgraden of Grey Hall or King Botheric Evoric of Blackbridge.

Kingdom II: Coldview

Ruler: King Tius Dashiell

Titles: The Tyrant's Son

Epithets: The Bed Wetter, The Indecisive

King Tius Dashiell’s father was one of the most cold-blooded, ruthless men to ever walk the face of the earth, and his subjects are no different. Coldview is an inhospitable place, filled with cutthroats and predators of all kinds. The only person keeping them in check was King Armen, Tius’s father.

Needless to say, the mild-tempered young gentleman has some large shoes to fill. Many of Coldview’s inhabitants are of ill-repute, and if King Tius shows any weakness, he stands to lose control of his entire kingdom.

During the reign of Tius’s grandfather, King Ananias, the entire country was plunged into dark times. Ananias was a weak king who failed to enforce the much-needed discipline that his people needed. Despite the laws that Ananias had attempted to enforce, illegal dealings such as prostitution, human trafficking, drug and alcohol trades, illegal weapons dealings, and gambling were rampant in the kingdom. Because of this, Ananias’s successor, his son Armen, had been forced to contend with the vices of his citizens.

King Armen was a ruthless, cutthroat man, who hated weaknesses in his subjects, but hated weakness in his son even more. He taught Tius to be a ruthless tyrant, and to show no mercy to those who were in need of punishment. Armen attempted to teach Tius to rule by the force of an iron fist. 

In the wake of King Armen’s death, the inhabitants of Coldview have fallen to their old vices again. To make matters worse, there are many who view Tius as a weak king and wish to gain control of his throne. Tius knows that if he does not put an end to this unrest, he stands to lose everything.

Tius believes that he can assert his strength as King by seeking to expand Coldview’s borders. He knows that the greatest prize in all Estershadow is the heart of the country, Redfield. Tius is well-aware of Queen Edennia’s beauty and graciousness, but also knows that she is exceptionally strong-willed. However, he is quite enamored with her and it is a risk he is willing to take. Should she refuse him, he intends to march on Redfield and violently claim the Heart of Estershadow, and its ruler.

King Tius firmly believes that an alliance between Blackbridge and Coldview might be just the thing he needs to cement his claim to Redfield. He fears the might of Tarvus Bullgraden of Grey Hall, and worries that if he does not ally with another country soon, the barbarian tribes of the north may fall upon his kingdom.

Kingdom III: Grey Hall

Ruler: Tarvus Bullgraden

Titles: The Bull of the Norse

Epithets: The Brainless Brawn

Little is known of the revolutionary leader, Tarvus Bullgraden, acting ruler of Grey Hall. It is generally agreed that he came from very humble origins and never belonged to the Noble Council, composed of representatives from all of the barbarian tribes in the area.

What is known, is that in the wake of King Botheric Evoric’s foray into the north, Tarvus Bullgraden emerged as the Hero of Grey Hall. Though King Felix had Botheric’s men on the defensive, it was the forces that Tarvus Bullgraden assembled that truly changed the tide of the battle. Tarvus Bullgraden, an obscure if not completely unknown name prior to the Battle of Feragal’s Ford, achieved what none of the barbarian chieftains had ever succeeded in: he managed to ally all of the tribes under one banner.

Tarvus remains a ruler who is shrouded in mystery. To date, no one has been able to uncover any personal information about him prior to his dealings at the beginning of the war with Blackbridge. In addition, he confides in only two people, his personal guards, Arkell and Emil.

Tarvus is a quiet, serious man, and a brilliant tactician. However, his tactical skill is often overshadowed by the false stereotype that he is little more than a hulking moron, who excels in physical strength, but not in mental aptitude.

Tarvus has a near-obsession with destroying King Botheric Evoric and Blackbridge once and for all. He has already begun to move his forces southward. However, despite the fact that Redfield is the fastest way into Blackbridge, Tarvus recognizes that Queen Edennia would never allow a hostile army to pass through her fair city. He believes that he may be able to pass through the territory of the Child King’s (King Cormac Urien’s) holdings. He knows that it will take a considerable bribe to convince the child’s mother to agree to the terms, that is, if the knight, Herric, will even allow Tarvus to see the king.

Kingdom IV: Mormount

Ruler: King Cormac Urien

Titles: The Child King

Epithets:  The Coddled Infant

Mormount is ruled by King Cormac Urien, the son of the late King Harold. As he is only a boy of 12, his mother, Queen Ramalda, serves as his regent. In addition, King Cormac has the unfailing aid and support of his personal guard, his late father’s favored knight, Sir Herrick Ackerly.

However, despite the interventions of those aiding Cormac, he must contend with the fact that his father made several, rather unwise decisions during the latter part of his reign. The economy is failing, there is a large amount of unrest amongst the nobles, and Cormac is being pressured to assert his new position by standing against the kingdom of Grey Hall, whose warriors are beginning to encroach upon the Mormount borders. To make matters worse crops are dying due to unusual weather patterns that have brought about both freezing conditions and drought. King Cormac knows that if he does not act soon, his reign may be very short indeed.

In addition, Cormac’s rule is opposed by a powerful clergyman, the Archbishop Anwar Kalel. The Archbishop claims that the kingdom is failing because it is wrought with sin, and that the only way to restore Mormount’s greatness is by a Grand Inquisition that will bring every sinner in the kingdom to justice.

King Cormac is often regarded as weak because of his youth and his overprotective mother. However, Cormac is a born leader and seeks to distinguish himself as a true king. Despite the protests of his mother, Cormac seeks to ally his kingdom with Redfield. He knows that his kingdom is ill-equipped to handle any further incursions from Tarvus Bullgraden of Grey Hall. In addition, he does not trust the quiet demeanor of the King Tius Dashiell of Coldview, who has previously expressed interest in expanding his kingdom.

Kingdom V: Blackbridge

Ruler: King Botheric Evoric

Titles: The Hammer of the South

Epithets: The Black-Heart

Blackbridge is ruled by King Botheric Evoric, but as the king is ageing and falling to ill health, his son, Magnus, must learn how to rule in his stead. Though Botheric still serves in a very public capacity, Magnus aids in many of the day-to-day activities in regards to maintaining the kingdom’s rule.

Botheric is known far and wide as an iron-fisted ruler with a cruel sense of justice. Botheric, seeing that his father, King Ramsey, was not a capable king, convinced many of the lords serving under his father to side with him in a violent revolution.

At its culmination, King Ramsey was captured and publicly executed by the decree of Botheric. The newly crowned King Botheric then proceeded to have all of the lords that sided with him in the revolution killed for their acts of treason against King Ramsey. This, obviously, confused the lords, who were angered that Botheric could incite them into revolution only to turn on them later.

Botheric replied by saying, “You were so quick to turn on the old king, my father. A turncoat once is a turncoat always. None of you can be trusted.”

These executions served as an example to the other lords that none should ever dare to cross Botheric, and those few who did not follow his commands, would be sentenced to die. Needless to say, this happened quite frequently during the beginning of Botheric’s reign. A great portion of the nobility, both men and women, were executed for crimes against the crown. Eventually, Botheric’s subjects simply learned not to bring about the wrath of their king.

Botheric sought to expand his kingdom by circling around the western provinces and moving north towards Grey Hall. Ideally, he had planned to conquer the southern portion of Grey Hall before sending his armies directly into Redfield.

Botheric knew that he could never compare to the benevolence of King Felix, and if he were to truly rule the subjects of Grey Hall, and eventually Redfield, he would need to do so by force. During this time, Botheric’s forces ravaged the countryside, inflicting terror upon any they came across. Women were raped, children killed, villages plundered, and each man tortured and murdered without causation.

However, Queen Edennia’s father, King Felix, forged a brief alliance with the barbarian tribes of Grey Hall and were able to thwart Botheric and his forces. King Botheric returned to Blackbridge in disgrace.

King  Botheric has continued to rule Blackbridge with an iron fist, and has attempted to teach his son to do the same. He seeks to teach Magnus how to be a severe, powerful ruler, one who thrives upon tyranny to enforce the subjugation of his people.

However, Botheric’s work was been frequently undone by the kind nature of his wife, Lellia, Magnus’s mother. Botheric had first encountered Lellia during his northern campaigns, and took her from her native lands as his personal prize. Despite his cruelty to others, Botheric’s demeanor softens considerably when around his beloved wife. So great is her beauty, and so gentle her demeanor, that even King Botheric cannot resist her. She remains his only voice of reason, but she, too, is in ill health, and many physicians maintain that she may not have much longer. Many believe that if Lellia were to die before Botheric, he would continue his final descent into madness.

Botheric wishes to reclaim his honor by capturing Redfield, a feat he believes that he can accomplish if he can form an alliance with either Coldview or Mormount.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 04:41:18 PM by Faidth »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »
I'm all for it, since I did add my own ideas inside. However, I'll probably be joining in late November, early December period. Do just go on without me :D

I'm probably going evil evil, maybe starting out in Blackbridge if I have any choice.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 11:14:37 AM »
If you're going evil, Blackbridge would probably be perfect for you.

I'm actually going to extend the deadline for character generation until the first week of December, so we'll kick off the battle by then. Assuming the BB gets approved, I'll post the guidelines and some additional fluff for the setting within a week of approval.

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 02:22:04 PM »
this is me posting in this thread to show that I am interested in the topic that this thread is about

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:49 PM »
This battle has officially been APPROVED. The poll has been closed.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 12:02:01 AM »
Can I/we get an update on the status of technology in the five kingdoms? Is it Fully Medieval, no/very few gunpowder weaponry, mainly ballista sword and shield? Late-medieval, where cannons were becoming a staple? Or, my personal favorite, Renaissance; where it is still mainly sword and crossbow, but there are many cannons and there is the occasional hand-held firearm for those who know how to obtain them.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:53 PM »
This is an excellent question. The accessibility of technology, especially in regards to weapons and warfare, is dependent upon the kingdoms. For example, the setting of Redfield is very much based on Elizabethan England. The Queen herself is supposed to resemble the aforementioned monarch to some degree.

In Redfield, the sword is still the preferred weapon as combat is to be a matter of honor as opposed to self-preservation. Cannons are around, but I wouldn't say they are exceptionally numerous, nor are the easy to come by. Guns are still in a bit of a fledgling form. Primitive rifles and flintlock pistols are accessible, but not commonly used just yet. In addition, these weapons have not been perfected for the mainstream populus, and cheap knock-offs will likely result in misfires.

Coldview and Mormount are quite similar to Redfield, but lack the means to equal their neighbors in Redfield. In Coldview, finesse fighting styles are the most respected (use of sabres coupled with an aggressive style adapted from fencing.) Mormount is well known for their archers, and crossbows would certainly be in use there.

Grey Hall is to be more barbaric in nature. Prowess in combat is prized above all things and the warriors from here are more likely to bash your head in with a big stick then to whip out a pistol to shoot you with.

Blackbridge is a rather militant place, however, slaughter is not supposed to be neat and pretty. Most officers in the Army of Blackbridge tend to stick to axes, mauls, maces and other messy weapons. They also prefer halberds.

In regards to other forms of technological advancements, transportation is usually measured in the treads of your shoes, but more affluent folks own horses, and the most elite amongst them have carriages. Machinery, too, is far from an industrial revolution. However, certain entities within Redfield and Coldview are developing methods to increase production of goods. They still have quite a long way to go.

Let me know if you have any other questions. I should have info. for character generation up sometime soon.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 10:44:19 PM »
Would a "Good, Old Fashioned D&D  Feel" include rolling dice? As I'm not a fan of game's of chance, I must admit that I'm not much of a fan of that in any regard, but I'm very curious to know how it would be done if this were implemented.
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2011, 12:29:32 AM »
You know, while it doesn't seem that great, I had an administrator on one of my old forums that used dice, and wow.  It made for a very interesting story, actually.  It made things very unpredictable.  At one point, he built up this hulk of a cybernetic bad ass boss for my character to fight, expecting the fight to last several posts... he rolled a 20 on my behalf.  He basically just said, "Welp.  Just post some cool finisher."

Then, at other times, when a situation was expected to go in our favor... oh the wonderful twists and turns that occur when a low roll happens.

Just my 2 cents.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2011, 08:25:00 AM »
I was actually planning on doing that on certain occasions. I've actually used that method quite a few times in Legion Immortalis.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2011, 09:14:32 AM »
Perhaps certain events, where the plot could go certain ways, a dice roll could be used. Perhaps we avoid a trap door and continue on our path, or perhaps we just fall in, forcing us to find another way. or maybe even we get split up. Chance events could be done via dice roll, and still leave it on the general majority up to the writer, and I think we'd all be happy.

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2011, 02:21:06 PM »
Probability is a factor of life. I'm all for actual mechanics being in place. Rules exist to make games run more smoothly and I'm not here to write original generation fanfiction.

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2011, 05:09:39 PM »
It's unfortunate to make a back-to-back post for this, but I've been meaning to ask what the status of nonhuman species is in Estershadow; How common they are, what notable species there are, how they're treated by humanity (and how their well their culture is understood) and above all exactly how "human" other species are (do they think like we do, or are they alien? Case-by-Case basis would be acceptable.)

And to expand on SC's question: I would also like to know what kind of fashions and materials are prominent in everyday clothing, armors and dress-wear. Though I'm sure it differs significantly from kingdom-to-kingdom, the general level of craftsmanship for the world over would be appreciated; Especially if nonhuman races are more, less or differently developed than humans.

A final inquiry would be to the status of the divine and religion in the kingdoms; Do they each follow different faiths? Are there any that are universal? Are deities and demons factual or only known through text? How are the faithful and faithless treated, respectively? Important bullet points would be views of the material plain and afterlife, what exactly a faith would consider a god or devil, and how the faithful of any given religion exalts their god, gods or prime directive.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2011, 05:17:49 PM by Angie »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2011, 05:59:29 PM »
Though I do have quite a bit of information in response to these prompts already, I have a blazing headache today that is a direct result of two-hour delay +  lazy students that didn't hand in their projects + lunatics (not just a myth; kids really are crazier during full moons) = MY TEMPLES ARE ON FREAKING FIRE.

Thus, I hope you do not mind if I give you the in-depth response these queries deserve either tomorrow or Friday.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2011, 05:34:22 PM »
Okay, Angie. This is going to take me awhile to answer all of your questions, so I am going to do this bit by bit. Here's the first installation of non-human races.

NON-HUMAN RACES

The Cephan

The Cephan are generally equivalent to dwarves, but several distinctions should be made in their case vs. the traditional depiction of said race. The Cephan do not live in caves or mines. Rather, they live above ground in predominantly mountainous areas. They revere nature and the elements, but worship stone above all. They have no designated god, but look to “Liferock” (stone) as a living part of nature.

The Cephan are generally druidic in their practices, and it is not unheard of for a clan to sacrifice one of their finest warriors on a great stone altar as an offering to the “Liferock.” Though they do not necessarily practice “magic” in the traditional sense, the “Liferock” grants them the abilities to heal themselves by pressing ground stone and earth into any open wounds. They are also known for their exceptional strength, endurance, and constitution. Even in times of plague, the Cephan population remained untouched by any disease.

Physically, adult Cephan typically stand 5' and weigh an average of 200-300 pounds. Though not rotund, they are stocky creatures with dense musculature. Females scarcely become taller than 4'6'' and typically weigh slightly less. Cephan skin is often tanned from long days in the sun.

The men  wear their hair long and common coloration is red, brown or black. Married Cephan will grow long, bristly beards. The longer a man's beard is, the longer he has been married. Such loyalty is seen as paramount to the continuation of the race and any Cephan who would dare to commit adultery is publicly shamed and executed. Divorce is unheard of and Cephan are encouraged to choose their mates wisely, as such unions are to last the entirety of their lifetime. 

Unmarried males are typically devoid of facial hair and stand out amongst their elders. Most Cephans are married before the age of thirty. The average lifespan for a Cephan, 200-300 years, is considerably longer than their human counterparts. 

Many Cephan are expert craftsmen and their race is particularly well-known for their fashioning of armor, weapons, and leather. It is uncommon to see such Cephan-made finery in the hands of other races as the Cephan are very self-reliant and have little need for trading. They grow, hunt, and gather their own food, mine their own stone, locate their own ores for metal, etc.

The Cephan are traditionally a peaceful race and do not seek to mingle with other races. Despite their lack of interactions with other races, they still maintain a formidable army of warriors. Their isolationist practices create a great deal of curiosity, and at times, animosity, from outside entities.

When approached by representatives of another race, the Cephan are not outwardly unfriendly, but are suspicious and naturally mistrustful. Several hundred years ago, King Daphomen I of Mormount led a Holy Crusade against all who did not worship the one true god. Many Cephans were slain.  After several years of bitter fighting, the armies of Mormount were driven back by the Allied Cephan clans. As a result, the Cephans now tend to isolate themselves upon the highest mountains of Grey Hall, though sightings of a few, wandering clans have been documented.

The highest population of Cephan are found in the north, near Grey Hall, though their presence is not strictly unheard of in other countries.  The generally tend to avoid cities.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 09:36:04 AM »
5 foot is pretty tall for a dwarf. That's just under a foot shorter than me, and I'm a pretty tall guy at 5'11''. I would say 4 foot or less would be the average height for any dwarf.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 10:14:30 AM »
5 foot is pretty tall for a dwarf. That's just under a foot shorter than me, and I'm a pretty tall guy at 5'11''. I would say 4 foot or less would be the average height for any dwarf.

That's kind of the point, isn't it? Re-read this line here.

The Cephan are generally equivalent to dwarves, but several distinctions should be made in their case vs. the traditional depiction of said race.

That line right there means that they are LIKE dwarves, but they aren't dwarves. Therefore, they are as tall as she says they are. Tolkien-based stereotypes be damned.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 10:17:26 AM by Cameron Aileron »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
Actually dwarves were short in their originall scandinavian iteration, though they were more like gnomes at that time  :o

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 01:00:49 PM »
Actually, in the traditional Scandinavian mythos, Allvis (Alviss) the King of the Dwarves was generally depicted as being 5'8'' to 5'9''. Though it was further stated he was the biggest and mightiest of all the dwarves, that is still considerably taller than I am.

Anyway, neither here nor there. That's why they are dwarf-like and not actual dwarves. If I wanted them to be dwarves, I would have said, "This race is called DWARVES!" Like dwarves, similar in many ways, but not dwarves. The phrase was used mainly as a point of reference.

I really wanted to separate them a bit from the Tolkien dwarves. That's why they don't live in mines and wake up Balrogs to get their rocks off.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011, 01:03:06 PM by Faidth »