Off Topic > General Discussion

Art. Observe it!

(1/3) > >>

Archdemon Stu:

Jorumn Fargazer, the Defiler.

Feel free to praise or critique.

Shadow Chorus:
Awesome. Now I wish I had a picture of Seth to add.

Angie:
Well, your linework's better than mine. Or more polished, at least.

The gratuitous lens flare is more than a little bit distracting, do you have a version of the image without that slapped on?

Soul Reaver:
Very good. I like the shading effects on the robe/cloak especially.  The lightning is also very cool - did you hand-draw the lightning or use photoshop effects to make it?

If I were to look for things the critique, there are mainly two things I'm not sure about:
- Jorumn's legs seem just a little too short in proportion to his torso.  It's not major though, and might partially be due to the perspective.
- I'm not sure what Jorumn's left hand is doing - if he's got it on his hip, or behind his back.  The shading would suggest it's at his hip, but the hand itself isn't actually visible (perhaps due to the fur on the sleeve, but that would mean he has a rather small hand).

Also, I know a lot of people (like Angie :P) have a thing about GRATUITOUS LENS FLARES!  Personally I don't think it looks particularly out of place here, but some people aren't going to like it much.

Overall a good piece though.  Trying out your new tablet, eh?

Archdemon Stu:
I found about 40 custom brushes for lightning and added my own touches/cuts to make it look just so.  I don't typically use any "effects" Photoshop has, since they tend to look corny and predictable.  Even the "lense flare" is just me using a brush very carefully, but it seems I overdid it. XD

Pros: Line work, shading on coat, lightning.

Cons: Too much glare, hard to see the pocket he has his hand in, legs possibly too short.  After I finish my homework for the week, I'll get to work on these! :3

Now, here's an image of him without the lightning layer.  His hand is pretty much bare bones art since I intended to have the shine from the lightning overwhelming it anyway.  After looking at some photos of lightning again, they all have a sort of flaring effect where they converge or originate.  So I don't want to remove that altogether, but I feel like I should definitely tone it down.

And yes.  So far, I am LOVING my new toy!  This is my first "finished" digital piece with a background and all, actually.

I really appreciate the feedback guys.  Keep it coming if you can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version