Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: So has anyone played 'Mardek'?  (Read 5845 times)

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
So has anyone played 'Mardek'?
« on: April 13, 2011, 11:26:32 AM »
It's a great online flash RPG that's to run for 8 chapters. Only the first 3 are out, but it's reasonable since only one guy's working on the game/music/dialogue/plot/other games.

You can find the game on Kongregate or on his website:

Website version: http://www.fighunter.com/?page=gamepage&g=MDK1

Kongregate version: http://www.kongregate.com/games/Pseudolonewolf/mardek-rpg-chapter-1

It satires many RPG elements, but as a standalone game is also very good. It follows the old style of games like Final Fantasy 1 and such. The first chapter's pretty short, but the second can go upwards of 8 hours worth of gameplay.

Yea, that's how epic this FREE flash game is. It's also not a pushover, but not so difficult that one is forced to grind. So yea, give it a go :)
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: So has anyone played 'Mardek'?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 04:48:49 PM »
I gave it a brief shot a long time ago, and it was interesting, but more time consuming than I'd want a flash game to be considering how many PC games I'm juggling right now. XD 

I do miss that genre though.  Hell, games like FFIV and FFVI are the reason I learned to read at a 6th grade level in 1st grade.  Now though, geez... some of these monstrosities Square Enix is popping out are just horrible.  FFXII was on the right track with challenging gameplay and badass side quests, but their summoning system was ABSOLUTELY worthless, and character customization was limited to some lame universal checkerboard.  Oh, and the main character was another spikey blond whiney bitch who dressed homoerotic.

</unrelated rant>

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 10:33:25 AM »
Oh man I remember FFXII, the world was great to explore, very wide. Only problem was that all the 'bad guys' felt the same and I had difficulty keeping up with the plot. Vaan added absolutely zero to anything.

At least it's better than FFXIII. Entirely linear with near zero gameplay, and absolutely annoying characters.

Ah, the good old days of RPG. Let's all revert back to D&D :D
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:56:04 PM »
FFVI  and FFVII are the best Final Fantasys.  I played half way through XIII but couldn't finish it for the pain.  XIII was the last one I bothered with.

Chrono Trigger is still an amazing game to this day.

Back in my day...  Ugh, I feel old.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 03:14:26 PM »
Hmm... this game looks interesting. I think I'll give it a looksee.

But in the meantime...
Now though, geez... some of these monstrosities Square Enix is popping out are just horrible.  FFXII was on the right track with challenging gameplay and badass side quests, but their summoning system was ABSOLUTELY worthless, and character customization was limited to some lame universal checkerboard.  Oh, and the main character was another spikey blond whiney bitch who dressed homoerotic.</unrelated rant>

At first I thought you were talking about Ashe, which I still would have supported if you were. But since you're talking about Vaan, I'm just gonna smile and nod and recognize your awesomeness for telling the truth as it is. :)

Back in my day...  Ugh, I feel old.

Aren't you younger than me?  ???
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:46:53 PM »
I uh... played FF1. A little. Never finished it. Never played another FF game.

Never finished Chrono Trigger either...  :-[

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 10:57:55 PM »
But I feeeeelll old.

Don't ruin the moment.

Get off my lawn...

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 11:28:03 PM »
I uh... played FF1. A little. Never finished it. Never played another FF game.

Never finished Chrono Trigger either...  :-[
I grinded through FF1 all the way to the last dungeon, only to have my friend save over my game.  It was so grindy I never decided to finish it.  Sigh...

But Chrono Trigger?  My God!  That's one of two RPGs I've ever done multiple play-throughs on!  The other being FFVI.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 08:32:14 AM »
Looks like this has turned into a Final Fantasy discussion...

Played (and finished) Final Fantasy I and II.  Final Fantasy I was actually fun in a grindy sort of way, but Final Fantasy II was BAD.

I also like Final Fantasy VII, but man, the terribly-translated dialogue.

Then Final Fantasy VIII came out, and its plot was so super-retarded that I would have almost welcomed a bad translation.

I though Final Fantasy IX was actually one of the best Final Fantasies I've played, gameplay-wise.  Oldschool in the best possible way.

Then I played Final Fantasy X, which I remember everyone having raved about.  Ugh.  I haven't played a Final Fantasy game since, despite owning XII.  I think after Final Fantasy X, I no longer have the strength.  Luckily I played God of War for the first time immediately afterwards, and that renewed my faith in humanity's ability to still make fun games.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:33:58 AM by Soul Reaver »