Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Official Administorum Star Wars: The Old Republic Guild  (Read 59711 times)

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
Re: Official Administorum Star Wars: The Old Republic Guild
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2011, 11:22:42 AM »
Wow.

I really hope travel isn't a huge time consuming thing.  With so many worlds I can see us staring through a cockpit for a while. 

But then there's the hyperspace thing with the zooming stars, so I'm crossing my fingers.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2011, 11:40:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure every starship has a Galaxy Map(Fast Travel) so you can travel between planets.  Sorta Mass Effect style.    You have to pretty much level through your homeworld and then you get access to a ship so you can travel.  I also think when you earn your ship you get crew companions.     I guess everything is speculation but from the ship trailers you can see everyone has a holo map on the bridge.   

Everything I remember seeing in videos shows you pretty mugh go into Hyperspace and then show up all cinematically above the planet and then land. Finally starting on foot in the hanger.

Will be interesting to see how groups of 4 players can travel together on one ship or if you all have to fly individual ships to different planets.    Supposedly your ship is like your player housing, you can buy items for it and invite others on it to take a look and invite others onto it, etc.   

I am going to have to set a timer up beside the pc so I don't stay up all night playing when it comes out.  Been wanting a Sci Fi game like this for a while.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2011, 11:42:14 AM »
Will the Old Republic be too big?

No such thing as too much content.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2011, 11:50:42 AM »
500 planets with Talking NPCs???   Going to be the biggest MMO of all time.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: July 28, 2011, 12:31:03 PM »
They are saying that each CLASS will have over 200 hours of game content at launch.   Which would mean for me who would have an average of 2-3 hours a day, probably less would take 100+ days to complete.  With updates and new content always being added.   Crazy numbers.   Millions of people, 19 worlds, unknown number of servers, maps 7 to 8 times the size of WoW zones.   This definately is going to ruin my life next year...

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2011, 01:34:44 PM »
Next year?  Try more like oct or anything nov 2011...maybe december.  They are gonna be starting beta weekends in sept and have officially announced "holiday 2011" for release :)
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »
Next year?  Try more like oct or anything nov 2011...maybe december.  They are gonna be starting beta weekends in sept and have officially announced "holiday 2011" for release :)

I'll believe that when I see it.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2011, 03:37:29 PM »
Holidays are already hectic as it is.   I would of rather it been a post holiday release, but I can see them selling the boxed sets and collectors editions in stores in November as a Black Friday sale item.     It will DEFINATELY not come out in October.  Thats the release of EA's other big Game BF3 which is going up against Call of Duty MW3 of which both games are expected to sell 10-12 million copies each.     We'll see what they say in September which is still a couple months away. 

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2011, 04:37:37 PM »
I find competitive multiplayer to be annoying when the other players are asses. I do enjoy a nice round of competition where afterward the players end up saying things like "That was a good round, let's do it again." Or "Great job, it was fun." And so on. When people start screaming profanities because they got shot I get annoyed.

But yes, I know about the morality vs. faction part of ToR. I still like Sith better though. Just the inherent Ruthlessness and Violence that comes with the title of a Sith warrior is something that calls to me from a character point of view.

And the Universe of 500 full worlds? Wow, that's massive.

I smell something taking the MMO world by storm, and it's not WoW anymore.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 04:39:43 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2011, 05:50:38 PM »
If I had a nickel for every time I heard that... well, I'd have a few bucks.  So not much, really, but still.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2011, 06:07:07 PM »

If Bioware is smart, they'll avoid trying to go toe to toe with WoW. It doesn't matter how good the game is. They'll lose. I'd rather them focus on making a great game then focus on how they can beat WoW.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2011, 07:02:41 AM »
That's what makes them beat WoW. They're not trying to. It's a bit of a paradox, really, but when you're just doing your best, rather than trying to outshine something else, you end up doing it anyhow, whether you're aware or not. It's a funny little thing, and something I've seen happen quite often, and been amused every time I have.

And then of course, when You're TRYING to compete with something else, it always either becomes long and drawn out or you just fail outright.

But off that topic: The classes seem epic. Sith Assassin is my particular favorite. On the republic I think the Jedi Guardian is my favorite. Mainline tank anyone?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:07:02 AM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2011, 08:35:54 AM »
Just an FYI to those that expressed interest in a Empire faction. Due to the way the pre-launch guild setup works, I cannot create more then one guild until launch. Once the game is up and running and the Republic guild is all squared away, I will see about getting an Empire guild up and running.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2011, 11:40:10 AM »
*Rhythmically taps his fingers* Eeeexcellent.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2011, 02:45:30 PM »
Well if I wasn't sold already this video did it for me:  http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/esseles-developer-walkthrough

The dialogue and music have sold it for me I'm playing this game no matter what.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »
yeah...the lil bit they showed of the smuggler makes me pretty certain that ill be sticking with the smuggler class for my main :D 

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2011, 09:20:05 PM »
Definitely makes a note that Teamwork is important.

I did like that Finisher with a flying hunk of metal that saved the Smuggler. I can imagine that in a movie with hilarious witty dialogue.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
Yep seems like they are incorporating the need to actually work together and whatnot into flashpoints pretty well.   wish they would release the smuggler progression video though...really wanna see how the scoundrel works with the stealth belt...will it be similiar to WoW rogue (aka brings up a new hotbar and also gives certain abilities only useable while stealthed....or simply an ability that will make it easier to move around near mobs.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2011, 08:00:41 AM »
The Dialogue system is nice.   Although it would suck if someone is a douche in your group and keeps choosing the negative answers or makes the dark side option everytime they get a chance.

I was wondering how the dialogue was going to work and that made it look really cool.

There was also a good Tatooine video where they show the Sith walkthrough of a flashpoint with just two people.   Was interesting too.

One thing that will suck is if we have 5 people online and can only have 4 in a group, :(   

Also the coolest thing about this video is that it's what your characters will be doing at LEVEL 9...   Level 9... what are you doing in WoW or Lotro at level 9 killing Boars or Lynx's?    Awesome.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2011, 12:18:41 PM »
Watching this video(which is nothing but screenshots and concept art from media releases from 2008-2011)  makes me want to explore the world more than anything else.  I like just exploring areas and finding wierd stuff.   I remember finding wierd quests like that in LOTRO all the time.   Their is going to be some cool exploring quests and thinks called Datacrons that give you XP and encourage waunderlust.   

http://www.youtube.com/user/KotorMMO#p/u/21/dat3kt-sj1I