Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Simple FAQ/Newbie tips  (Read 2888 times)

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
Simple FAQ/Newbie tips
« on: December 19, 2011, 10:40:18 PM »
So i've seen a lot of the same questions popping up in general chat (and sometimes in gchat/vent) and figured since im not able to play right now Id create a simple FAQ people can look at and hopefully save themselves time (especially if no one else is on in guild and you don't feel like dealing w/ general chat).

1) Q: I just hit level 10 and chose my AC (Advanced Class).  My AC dual wields, where is my OH (offhand) weapon?
A: After you select your AC a backpack will be placed into your inventory containing gear pertaining to your new class.  I.e vanguards get a shield and power generator, sentinels get a second lightsaber, shadows get a dual lightsaber etc

2)Q: Where do I go to pick my Advanced Class?
A:  Technically there are 2 places you can do this, either at the Republic Fleet or in the commercial district of Coruscant (the area beneath the Senate Tower).  Generally if you leave your starting planet at 10 (pretty easy to have this happen) when you leave the elevator from the shuttle port there are 4 npc's in front of you, one will have a quest directing you to another NPC who will provide you training in one of the 2 AC's available to you.

3) Q:  Do I really have to carry all these crafting materials around with me?
A: Nope...if you attempt to craft something and do not have enough materials in your inventory the game will automatically start withdrawing the needed materials from your bank (if of course you have said materials stored in there).

4) Q: My companion disappeared, how do I bring him/her/it back?
a:  Either hit N and click the button to the right of the companions portrait or look at the blue circle in the bottom left of your screen, there will be a small button at the bottom of the circle that you can click that will summon your companion (note though you can NOT summon a companion while in combat)

5) Q: What level do I get my ship at?
A:  The specific answer for this is anywhere from 13-20.  If you burn through your class quests and ignore everything else you will get your ship sooner then if you do everything you can in each section of Coruscant before moving on.  If you do everything you will probably be about 17-19.

6) Q:  How do I spend these commendations I keep getting?
A: Seek out a Commendation vendor either at the Republic fleet or located generally in the market type area of the planet you are looking to spend commendations from.

6b) Q:  Where do I go to get commendations "upgraded"?
A: No where, this option was removed near the end of beta.

7) Q:  How do I get more inventory space?
A:  Beneath your currently available inventory space there is a button you can click to purchase more room.  It starts out at 5k credits and scales up as you unlock more rows.  Also note the boxes you see some vendors selling are NOT bags like WoW, these boxes generally contain random items/credits and then the box will disappear.

8) Q:  The game is telling me the rest of my group is in another instance of the planet that im on, how do I fix this?
A:  Generally when you join a group where the leader is in a different instance the game should pop a window asking if you want to shuttle to the leaders instance.  If this fails to happen or you accidentally say no simply go to your map (hit M) and in the lower right you should see a small map showing the entire world you are on that has a dropdown menu above it saying which instance you are currently in (i.e. Coruscant (2) ).  Click this menu and change it to the instance your leader is in (you can see this by mousing over their picture and it will be displayed in their tooltip).

9) Q: HELP!  Im stuck and I can't move!
A:  Simply type /stuck.  This will cause the game to attempt to move you to a valid location.  If a safe, valid location can not be found the command will kill you and you can res yourself at the nearest med center.  Note that this feature currently has a 2 minute cooldown.

10) Q: Can I hide my helmet?
A: Yep, simply go to Preferences -> Social and click "Hide Helmet".  Note that this will hide the helmet all the time, not only during conversations (I have seen people asking about that).

Newbie tips:

Resource Management: Ok here's probably the biggest tip I can give that will help people out (took me quite a while to finally learn about it during beta):  With just about ever classes resource system (save Jedi Knight/ Sith Warrior) the lower your resource gets the slower it regenerates.  This means you want to make sure you space in your free ability (aka takes 0 resource, you started the game w/ it) in between your other abilities to prevent your resource getting too low.  Of course BH's are kind of reverse of this in that their resource starts at 0 and fills up as you use stuff (so in their case...the closer it gets to full the slower it vents off).

Take note of gear stats: What I mean by this is if you see a weapon drop that looks like you could use it (aka your a smuggler and its a blaster pistol) before you roll on it (of course that means this tip really only means anything when you are grouped hehe) make sure that you can actually use it.  I have done this quite a few times during beta....blaster pistol drops, I roll need and win it, only to see either a) its OH only (and im a scoundrel) or b) it gives +aim not +cunning.  Unfortunately at the moment SWTOR does not have the loot system like WoW where you can trade BoP items with group members after the roll ends, if its BoP and you accidentally need it...its stuck w/ you unless you can get a hold of a GM to maybe fix it.

Keep an eye out for Quick Travel (QT) Locations:  Just about every town/city type place you find will have a quick travel location (looks like a terminal, generally found inside cantina's or near speeder/taxi points).  If the QT location has an exclamation mark over it this means you have not discovered it yet.  Trust me, going out questing to then realize you can't simply quick travel back to town to turn in cause you failed for the 5th time to grab the QT point makes you feel like a fool (yep...personal experience speaking here hehe).

I'll try to add in more tips and such as I think of them/see them pop up in general/guild chat.
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.