Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Torchlight 2  (Read 5392 times)

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
Torchlight 2
« on: September 25, 2012, 06:16:30 PM »
I'm afraid to say that Torchlight 2 is a better Diablo than Diablo 3...

Damn auction house.  I quit D3 the day that they said they were balancing loot drops against the whole player population because if the availability of loot on the auction house.  So instead of finding an epic drop off a boss, I could just hand someone 10 bucks and buy it!!!!  I fail to see the fun.  After three playthroughs I haven't found a single set item, and no oranges. 

I found a slick deals thing for Torchlight 2 for a few bucks off, but you have to install GameFly to get the activation code - then install Steam and actually get the game.  But it saved 4 bucks off of a 20 dollar game so meh...

I knew nothing about the game so multiplayer was a surprise!  Is anyone here playing/intending to play?  I'm just dilly dallying through the campaign right now but would be up for some teaming up soonish.

So far at level 16 I've almost completed one item set and found many others.  Uniques are popping out of monsters left and right.  The skills are flashy and fun and the quests are adequate.  I have found the fun.

For a 20 dollar game this is very worth the money.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: Torchlight 2
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 09:08:13 PM »
I wasn't very fond of the first Torchlight.  How did they improve on it, multi-player aside?  You aren't forced to have a pet that dies every 30 seconds are you?  I wanted to kill that old man... I KNOW!  MY PET'S DEAD.  HE IS PERPETUALLY DEAD, AND YOU SHALL CONTINUE TO REMIND ME OF IT.  THANKS!

But yeah, Diablo 3 tapered out for me.  I played through it once and decided, "Well that was fun.  Time to get another game." so while it was the best of the genre I'd played so far, still a bit lacking for me to stick to it.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
Yes, you still have a persistent pet that continues to die repeatedly.  There are four very different classes from the first.  The engineer and all his explosions are quite fun to play with.

Instead of being stuck in a mine you roam around the countryside murdering things.  Then you go into mines and caves and junk.

The music for "Act 1" as I'll call it is very, very similar to Act 1 Diablo 2.  Like, after one strand of notes on that mandolin/harp/stringy thingy, I half expected to see Blood Raven or Andariel followed around by a bunch of red imps and zombies.

Either way, I wouldn't put down everything to grab Torchlight 2, but if you're looking for a fun diversion I'd give it a shot.  (Also I'm holding off on playing with Pandas, so there ya go.)

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 07:31:26 PM »
I was very disappointed from the first game. It was repetitive and the only good items I got were from gambling. I didn’t get weapons from anywhere else. Gambling provided unique weapons 2 times out of 5.

As for diablo 3… Haven’t played it for 2 months or so. Kind of got to Act 3 inferno and left it there. Right now I am playing Borderlands 2 and it is so much fun I just can’t stop playing. Hands down to bethesda they have made an epic game in my opinion.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
Matt  Uelman (sp?) is the same guy who did the music for Diablo 1 and 2 and he is the one that did the music for TL2 hence the strong similarity :)  I am thoroughly enjoying TL2.  Got one of each class started, liking the engineer and beserker the most followed by the outlander then the embermage (ember mage is cool but never been a big cloth caster type of player).
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »
I had heard that the same guy did the music for the Diablo's and TL2.  I like his style.

I thought the same of original Torchlight.  I played for a little while but never finished b/c it was repetitive.  And enchanting was game breaking at the time.

Diablo 3 kind of spoiled me on the no skill point thing.  I had like 12 unused skill points ant lvl 20 so I just threw a point in all the passives at the bottom for my engineer.  I'm anticipating a full respec mod soon so I'm not too worried.

I tried the beserker first but I couldn't get into it.  I wanted to try allllllllll of the skills but didn't want to cripple my character b/c he was too spread out.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
yeah im going down the shield tree with my engineer and down the shadow tree with my beserker.  Whats everyones username so maybe we can try to get some multiplayer going on. Mine is Skitz470

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:46:55 PM »
Mine username is my forum name.

Just finished Act 1.  Engineer is feeling beefy, all leaping into a bunch of enemies with an aoe, then stomping down another aoe dot, then smashing things with my giant wrench/hammer.  Gun bot is fun.  And I like summoning a big group of crab mines that swarm the first enemy on the screen.

Just call me Ronald, the 'Splosion man.  (Yeah, I named my engineer Ronald.  Seemed fitting.)

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »
yeah im going mainly down the defense tree with my engineer. ill add ya Kith