Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: I had a thought, but lack the skill.  (Read 4043 times)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
I had a thought, but lack the skill.
« on: July 15, 2012, 01:00:57 AM »
I'm just putting this here because I'm sure one day somebody on this board with the skill will decide to go crazy with it.

I was playing through TTBE again, and I noticed how Lightning Storm is an awesome ability. Then I started to think it would be an awesome ability for a character in a MMOBA like League or DotA. Then the insane idea popped into my head of a MMOBA centered around characters from the board, either on starcraft 2 or warcraft 3, using abilities based off the characters and items based off the universe. I pictured Kitharsis/Soul Reaver bot lanes and I almost died of awe.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
Re: I had a thought, but lack the skill.
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 11:38:34 AM »
I thoroughly agree with this idea.  Although I also lack the skill or time to put this into action. 

I can just imagine the horrors of balancing our characters against each other... gah.

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 01:55:37 PM »
Soul Reaver is probably the only one here who has any kind of experience with this kind of thing. Not sure if this would be something he could accomplish or not.

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 04:15:54 PM »
I often wake up screaming and in a cold sweat after dreams of working on more Warcraft III stuff.

But seriously, it could certainly be done, but would require a huge amount of work to do well or even competently, and I really don't want to dedicate the amount of time it would take to make something like that.  I'd much rather work on other projects at the moment (and also play games that I've owned for literally years and never had the time to play... like Baldur's Gate).

I have toyed with the idea of a multiplayer hero arena type map (similar to Chapter VII) using characters from TTBE, but even that would be tough.  I have no experience making multiplayer maps to start with, not to mention that since it was single player, TTBE's heroes never really had to be balanced.  It would require more than a little tweaking to do even that.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2012, 11:08:03 AM »
One of these days, after I've finished my programming classes, I'll sit down and learn the SC2 code and do it myself. Which may be a year or two coming, of course, because I still need to get a basic grip on programming languages.

I'm learning java right now. It's annoying, but simple.