Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Shadowhaunt: The Black Crusade (Part II)  (Read 62925 times)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
Re: Shadowhaunt: The Black Crusade (Part II)
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2013, 06:15:25 PM »
Khadmas's work was finally coming to a finish. It was clear what he had made now. As he took the chains to a table, there rested on the side of the forge a massive pillar, a morningstar, and a double-headed axe. Each weapon would normally take two hands of a stronger man to wield, but the Gorger could likely hold the morning star and axe in each hand. The pillar, adorned in Dwarven faces and symbols, had a small hole in each end that connected to each other through the length of the object. Once at the table, Khadmas laid the chains out straight and took a pouch from his belt, opening it and pulling out what appeared to be a fistful of glittering, shimmering dust. The dwarf tossed the dust into the air above the chains, and then slammed his fists onto the table inches away from it. He began to utter ancient phrases, dwarven incantations and prayers, and the dust seemed to catch in the light, all of it seeming to glow. Then, as if magnetized, the dust shot toward the chains, embedding themselves in the cavities left by the dwarf's chisel when he had carved his runes.

"Dim Mor, Vanahada Morkorag Vomkenned Durahain Molastad, Vernore Molahod, Ner Feranas....."

The dwarf's chanting droned on, becoming audible as more and more flecks embedded themselves into the chains, filling them out with glittering dust. As each particle of dust had finally found their way into the chains, he lifted his hands once more and gave a final, forceful slam into the table, the sheer force of his blow causing the chains to bounce. Then, as if ordered to life by this heavy blow, the runes on the chains began to shimmer and brighten, until they had reached a dull green glow. Then the chain itself began to rattle, shaking and jerking until finally it shot through the air, looping itself into the pillar. Even all the way through there was still a good length of chain, but now the chain seemed to stretch, as if growing new links as it reached far beyond its original length. The two ends of the chain latched themselves on to the metal-capped pommels of the morningstar and axe, and then reversed motion, the chains compacting in on themselves inside the pillar as they retracted, pulling together until the morningstar and axe slammed home inside the pillar, the only thing left outside of its mass being the heads of the weapons, their grips entirely concealed.

Khadmas walked over to the finished weapon and stood it up, though, the pillar itself being slightly longer than the Gorger's torso, it was taller than Khadmas himself.

"Ta answer yer question, I foresee this weapon causing much havoc upon the battlefield.  The chains will obey your mental commands, lengthening, retracting, and moving at your whim. I'll mount the pillar with straps to carry it on your back, but should you feel the need for a battering ram, you can retract your two hand weapons and use the pillar itself. I think, with so much power for collateral damage, this weapon shall be given a name of proper strength. Morkaraka. Siege Breaker."

-----------------------------

"Now young priest, there is no reason to lament. It is said by some dragon philosophers; what makes a god or divine force exist is not universal truth, or divine power, or even some cosmic random event. It is the faith of its believers. Gods and pantheons rise and fall with their followers, and those who lose all faith die, ever forgotten. If you believe, truly believe with all of your faith, in the divinity of this Lumos, then he exists just as much as our Aether, or the many gods of the Dwarves and Nords." The dragon lifted its head, looking down at the human with kind eyes, full of wisdom. "Now, I will show you the path to finding your peace with the universe." the Dragon's eyes lit up with golden, holy light, and in an instant the world seemed to fall away from the two, sky and land all falling beneath their feet as they rose up, deep into the darkness of the void outside the planet's boundaries. They were afforded with a miraculous view of their world, its duality plain as day as the continent of men seemed lush and green, capped with the snowy white of the Norse lands, and the Blacklands looked as if it were a singular mound of mold, blackened and dead, practically devoid of the color green, save for one small dot which was the sacred grove Walter's men had found themselves in.

"Take in this world. Behold its profundity, its great mass, and see it from a new perspective. Here you see the world as if from the viewpoint of a god, watching from on high. Here, the world seems minuscule, not nearly the endless mass it seems from its surface. But take a look above, and see what else is left around." And then the dragon lifted his head, looking about at the wonders around them. There was and endless carpet of stars in all directions, twinkling lights in the distance, and the great masses of other planets about them. And then before them was the sun, the fiery ball that held all of these planets in its orbit.

"Behold the realm of our mighty sun. These planets are its domain. And yet, were we in the location of one of these many stars about us, so far in the distance as to be inconceivable, it would be it which seemed the mighty ball of fire, and our sun a mere dot in the distance. Many of these stars in the distance likely have their own planets, upon some of which might be life like that which is on ours. It is in the knowledge that, no matter what we may think of ourselves or our deeds, we are as insects in the grand scheme of the vast reality around us, that lets us acknowledge our place in the Aether, and discover what it means to truly influence life. Take in the vastness around you, young priest. How does it feel?"

-------------------------------------------

"Ah, I can see that such strife has truly taken its toll upon you. Come. Walk with me, and I will tell you a tale." Theldorian turned, and began to walk deeper into the elven district. Soon, they reached what appeared to be park, so deep under ground. Majestic trees grew here, and green grass grew lush, and fertile. In the center was a great pond, still as glass, and serene, almost relaxing.

"Life, young Sun Wu, is much like this great pond. It is vast, and unchanging. We all are but droplets in the endless pool that forms our world. Each single droplet holds its own power, its own direction, but in the end it is but one of many, and it will continue on as such forever."

The elf picked up a rock, feeling the weight of the object in his hands before tossing it into the pond. The stone struck the water's surface and disappeared below, the water rippling out and wavering from the impact.

"Each toil we face is like a stone, cast into the pond. Its ripples may travel far, and with great force. They may temporarily disrupt the serenity of the entire pond, given enough mass. But in the end, the water will return to its stillness, and the pond is all the fuller for the additional mass placed within it." And so it was with the lake, the water returning to placidity as the ripples eventually faded, all of their energy spent, and the pond once again restful.

"To accept this is to finally achieve peace with oneself. To acknowledge that no matter what troubles may face us, they too will eventually fade into the pond, and those struggles which do not slay us will only make us more powerful, and better able to cope with the next. Reflect on this, and you will be one step closer to quelling the disquiet within your soul."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 06:16:04 AM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:58 AM »
The Gorger, awestruck at the creation before him, slowly grasped it in a show of reverence that perhaps only Khadmas had seen of the ghoul.  Gripping it with both hands, he felt the weight... the balance... it was perfect.  And, for reasons The Gorger could not yet fully understand, it resonated with him well.  His hands began to quake with excitement.  Muscle tissue that once made up his cheeks slid backward across his teeth as he grinned.

"Khadmas... you glorious man you.  With this... you have already doomed many.  Who they may be, only time will tell... I'm excited to find out!"  He hunched over, and like a child asking for permission to play with his toy, he asked, "Tell me, is there a sparring ground?  An arena?  By whichever gods you may believe in, I'll swing it at anything!  A large pole?!"

The Gorger was having a difficult time containing himself.  Afterall, Sir Walter knew well it would be The Gorger to wreak havoc.  He would need to behave for some time longer if he ever hoped to have his collar removed.  He needed a place where it was acceptable to destroy things... people... or creatures.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2013, 11:17:48 AM »
Sun Wu follows Theldorian through the elven district.  They arrive at a park with surprisingly majestic trees and an abundance of thriving, healthy grass.  The still pond in the middle sets Wu at ease.  The entire atmosphere of this place is calming.

The description of the vast pond, and the droplets that mortals are brings back memories of his lessons at the monastery.  Wu nods at Theldorian's words.

The elf tosses a rock into the pond, disturbing the water and sending our ripples over the surface.  After some time, the pond returns to its placid state once more.  Wu contemplates on Theldorian's lesson without speaking for a while. 

Breaking the silence, Wu puts words to his thoughts.

"Perhaps the current I follow is not an ever flowing force, but merely the ripples from my own droplet falling into the endless pool of this world." 

Wu frowns a moment, trying to work his thoughts out.

"I have always believed that life was ever flowing, that a current pushed and pulled us on our way - that I myself am also a current affecting this world.  The thought that instead of a current, we are all still pools is... comforting.  Flowing water is always busy and babbling, pushing and pulling and ever moving.  A still pond is serene and peaceful, content with its place in the world and content with itself."

A deep, long sigh escapes from Wu's lips, a sigh reminiscent of a man easing into bed after a long day's work, knowing that there is nothing more to be done for the day, he finally lets go and takes rest.

"I will meditate on your lesson, Theldorian."  Wu follows his words with a deep bow.

"While this will help me immensely, the forces of darkness do not care how placid or deep my pool is.  They only seek to destroy it.  Do you have any techniques to combat the darkness?  There must have been some forms lost to the ages, and I am eager to learn anything you would feel fit to teach."
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:08:51 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2013, 05:38:33 AM »
The dragon’s words of comfort were unneeded, but welcome. Even thou Rau accepted the truth about Lumos, it was with a heavy hearth that he did so.  The sermon the priest saw and what he felt through it was real. There was no room for doubt and he was sure that this was the path of enlightenment!

"Now, I will show you the path to finding your peace with the universe."

The view that unfolded in front of the priest’s eyes was both, shocking and fascinating. As the ground separated from his feet, feelings of lightlessness and euphoria filled him. He gazed on the world like never before. When the dragon prompted him to look around the holy man’s mouth went wide open. The vastness of the universe, the uncoffining space all around, everything looked surreal.  Rau’s mouth remained wide open as he listened to the dragon and he could only utter a single word: “Beautiful!”

“I feel it. I can’t understand, nor see it, but I am feeling it. It seem like it is the first time in my life that I feel alive! I can feel it in you as well, it is the same. You said it yourself! In the grand scheme of life… what is size and appearance? Petty differences! We are the children of our world. We live on it together, we feed on its fruits and when time comes we return to the ground. We are all the same, big or small, life does not discriminate!” as Rau’s excitement was overflowing, he suddenly realized “They all felt it didn’t they? It wasn’t only I, nor was it something superficial! What I felt and what they felt, it was all the same, there is no reason for it to have been different, after all what we felt back than was life wasn’t it?”
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 04:47:05 PM »
"Well." Khadmas said, scratching his beard. "While I can say that aye, we do have a trainin' ground, I can say we'd like tae have that intact. But, seein' as ah've gone an' named tha weapon Siege Breaker, ah may as well give ye a siege ta break." Khadmas took a couple of leather straps and, while the Gorger held the pillar, pressed them to its trunk. The stone opened up and consumed the ends of the leather, holding them tight and forming a sling for the Gorger to carry the weapon on his back, the sling being long enough to rest on one shoulder and cross his torso like a bandolier. With that, he strode to his door and turned to face the inside of the room. Reaching his hands out to his side, he brought up his left leg in front of him and stomped down on a precise location. The ground seemed to ripple and quake, the walls of the building vibrating and bits of metalwork clattering on their racks as a hole opened up on the far side of the room. It grew wider and deeper until at least it was revealed to be a staircase leading deep into the earth.

"Ye think tha weapon is somethin' o skill, do ye? Come, let me show ye what a Dwarf o' my breed does when 'e's bored." The dwarf said, leading the way down the steps.

At the bottom was a truly strange sight. A cavern, lit on the roof with crystals like that of the main city; however, this cavern held not a sprawling metropolis, but a battlefield, centered by a large castle. Stone figures of people stood beside wooden catapults, and stone archers stood on the ramparts. The great oaken gates stood on massive metallic hinges, and armies made of rock waged immobile warfare across what seemed a hobbyist's rendition of a great battle.

"I call it tha forgotten bastion, an' it's a sort o' playground fer tha likes o' me an' me close friends. We come down here ta practice our skills an' abilities. But I think ye'll have a hell of a time here. So go ahead, lad. Break the siege with yer Siege Breaker."

---------------------------------------------------------------

Theldorian gazed out upon the water for a long moment, imagining its waters blackened and dark, or  the lake dry and empty, before he spoke.

"Yes. There are ancient techniques; old styles and motions used by the elves during our time on the surface. Methods of combat and mastery of chi. I will teach you what I can in our short time." The elf stood, and, with a flick of his hand, the wind picked up, and a piece of wood broke off from a tree and flew into his hand.

"Look there." Theldorian said, indicating with the stick where there stood two other elves in robes like his own conversing on the opposite bank of the river.

"I will show you the art of the moulded spirit. A method of chi control lost to your kind. We have observed your kind through the magic of the dwarves, felt your chi and your methods of combat, and seen that you lack this knowledge. Watch." Theldorian said, tossing the stick in the direction of the other elves. It seemed to rest in the air a moment before shooting like a dart across the lake, the speed of its passing cutting a wake in the water below before it was caught in the deft hands of one of the elves, a woman with soft eyes and calm features. She looked at the stick and nodded at Theldorian, turning and holding it as if ready to throw, waiting for the other elf's signal.

Theldorian took a stance, his left arm outstretched and his right resting slightly bent behind him. He nodded at the other elf, who threw the stick, and once again it shot like a dart.

Theldorian flicked his wrist, an elegant curve that projected his chi out, the wind picking up the motion as it spiraled, forming a pattern in the air that picked up the stick, diverting its aim and shooting it over his shoulder to embed itself into the tree behind him. To the trained eye it seemed as if his chi had been directed even after his projection, forming a spiraling pattern that gracefully touched the stick and gently diverted its course, almost no energy spent trying to stop or slow the projectile.

"Human Monks project their chi, but from that point on the energy is treated as if it were foreign to their bodies, as if the monk no longer has any control over his chi once it has left his form, a blunt instrument only capable of performing the task it was sent out to do, as if it were a wave bent on its course. This is not so. Your chi is an extension of your spirit, a thread of your will sent out from your form. Remember this, and direct it as you would your breathing, or the curvature of your hand. Focus your will into your motions and envision in your mind's eye the pattern the chi will take. This is the art of the moulded spirit. Come, show me your best attempt. Strike in the direction of the lake, but direct your chi away. Impact the tree behind you." Theldorian demonstrated, thrusting his palm in the direction of the lake in front of him. But the chi that was released did not simply blast forward, it curved out like the leaves of a flower, bending until it had reversed direction, and shot past The elf, impacting on a tree behind him and leaving the imprint of his palm on its surface.

"Now, begin. Continue until you feel you have mastered this basic technique, and we will see what time we still have for more."

----------------------------------------

The dragon inclined its head, lowering it and nodding at the human.

"At last you understand. The Aether, the essence of life, flows in all of us just the same, no matter how different we may seem on the outside. It is our force of will that allows us to influence this power, to curve it and to give it shape and force. Or to allow it to flow stronger in our allies, to empower them with life as in the sermon you overheard. It is by our impassioned will, our desire to change the shape of life or redirect its flow, that we affect the universe around us. Come."

The dragon turned its head, and they shot away, lightyears passing in seconds until they found themselves in a distant place, where only a lone star was before them, burning dim and low, as if about to die.

"This star is burning out. Its life is weak, and fragile. However vast it may seem to you, remember how small it is in the eyes of the universe. And realize that the Aether flows in it just as it does in all things. By our combined will, we may save this star. But only if you are willing to accept what this may cause. In time it may grow a world. And that world may house malignant beings, barbarians who would destroy all they touch. Those being may find their way to your world and destroy it. Or it may give birth to brilliant scholars, and philosophers. People who would enlighten all they meet, even beyond our own knowledge. It is up to you whether you are willing to give those people the opportunity to live. Are you willing to influence the universe, even in such a small manner? If so, exert your will and make your choice. I will assist you in whatever you do, but this is your decision. Does this star live, or die?"
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 09:40:31 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2013, 01:42:30 PM »
The Gorger was off in the blink of an eye.  He whirled the behemoth of a weapon above his head, and brought it down on the first stone soldier he passed, laying its shattered pieces across the ground from which it came.  Shifting his weight, the opposite end of Siege Breaker cleaved through another statue effortlessly.  The Gorger's hands tingled with a certain familiarity as he blazed a path through the still army before him.  As he made his progress, faint dreams - no, memories- flashed before his eyes.  He day dreamed of distant battlefields with each attack he made on the stone men, reviving vague memories with each swing of the Siege Breaker.

"Ah... I recall now... my war staff.  An elegant... yet delightfully effective weapon." The Gorger's thoughts wandered as he tried to picture his old weapon of choice.  "So vividly familiar, and yet..." The Gorger smiled to himself as he dared draw a comparison between his old weapon and the new.  The silliness of it. "...so distant.  Whatever man I was then, I surely could not have wielded this - what did the dwarf call it - ah, yes... Morkaraka." His smile widened into a grin as he twirled Morkaraka over his head, and the chains extended to great lengths.  With a violent pivot of his body, the chains churned ferociously, and smashed through the stone in the area surrounding him. He laughed. "Perhaps I owe the old vampire lord a debt.  This strength... this power... I shall crush them all with the chains they sought to contain me with!"

The Gorger approached the gates.  The archers above would matter little in a real battle... mere pin pricks before his might.  The soldiers barred his way... clouds of dust before his power.  He charged onward, tightening his grip on the mighty Siege Breaker, and with all of his might, smashed the blunt end into the gates.  The doors cracked, dust cascading from the crevices.  With all of his vehemence, he drew the weapon back, and surged it forward once more into the gates.  They waned and shook from the sheer force of the ghoul's anger, nearly crumbling to the ground.  Finally, with a fiery determination to restore his own will, he lashed his weapon behind him once more...

Suddenly, there was a house atop a hill.  The trees waved with the gentle winds.  The blue skies allowed the sun no shelter with which to hide.  There were two silhouettes standing outside, their faces invisible within the glow of the sun's light.

The Siege Breaker was still before the gates.  "What...?" The Gorger was clearly distraught, paused in mid-swing.  It seemed as though the hazy memories he had restored forced him to recall one even more vague and haunting to his broken mind.

The Gorger clenched his teeth in frustration.  With a ground-shaking war cry, he smashed the gates with the Siege Breaker.  Rocks and debris crumbled around the suddenly solemn ghoul.

After a moment's pause, a small chuckle emitted from his gullet.  He turned to Khadmas, his "composure" returned.

"I suppose it will do." he joked.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 01:23:41 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 07:02:35 AM »
The dragon did not cease to amaze Rau, this time he took him to a distant, dying star.

"This star is burning out…. Does this star live, or die?"

“Incredible!” Rau stood and looked in awe “This is amazing, this star, no, any star, it is not merely alive, it also spreads life and in the end it takes it all away.” The priest looked at the dragon once more, this time with a serious face “Your words, they anger me. The very thought, that someone or something, would think that it has the capacity to judge unborn life, makes me boil with anger! What is the universe, if not a cluster of endless possibilities? There is no way to weight out all possibilities, how many are good, how many are bad, what are the odds of one or the other? Even if…” The holy man stops, puts his hand on his forehead and calms down by taking a few deep breaths “ Even if one unborn life, innocent life, is sacrificed, so that other may live, even that would be wrong.” The priest stood silent for a few seconds “As for my answer, I am not omnipotent, I have no delusions of grandeur, I know I can’t help most, but I will never forgive myself if I do not try to help those before me.”

Rau took a stance spreading his legs and placed his staff in front of himself. Firmly griping it with both hands, he took a deep breath, looked towards the star and closed his eyes. Feeling the flow of aether he began to channel it into the empty socket of his staff. If one could see the flow it would have looked like the priest was being engulfed by flames, which in turn were sucked in by a small tornado in the tip of the staff. Every muscle in his body tensed as he tried to summon all his strength. After half a minute, he opened his eyes and sent all the aether he had channeled into the socket, towards the star. At that point there was only one thought that burned brightly in his mind: “Live!”

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 03:08:54 PM »
"Rather than a wave, chi is an extension of myself."  Wu balks.  "You suggest that we can move our chi as easy as wiggling our fingers."  He twiddles his fingers in the air as he contemplates this idea.

"I've never imagined holding onto my chi as it leaves my body.  I do something similar with my whirlwind attack.  But even then I project my chi in a specific direction.  I do not alter its course.  I will attempt this."

Wu assumes the stance for his geyser attack and charades the motion of the attack slowly.  He does this a few times before engaging his chi.  A small geyser attack weakly shoots out from his palm and skims halfway across the lake before fizzling out.

"I've practiced this basic attack so many times I do it nearly without thinking."  Wu frowns.  "It is an interesting exercise to think it through so intently again.  It is almost like learning to walk differently than you have been for your entire life..."

Wu closes his eyes and paints his surroundings in his mind.  The lake rests placid in front of him, and a tree rises from the ground behind him.  He feels the chi surging through is arms and some part of him grasps it firmly.  His arms pump forward and the chi erupts through is palms once more.  Instead of releasing the chi, he keeps hold of it and pulls it with his mind.

Opening his eyes, he sees the surface of the lake reflect the path of his chi.  Instead of traveling in a straight line, the ripples on the lake show that the geyser curved to the left.

"I see, rather, I felt what happened there.  I didn't do exactly what you were asking for, but I think I figured it out because of the way I just did that."  Wu chuckles.

"I'm sure you saw.  I did the usual geyser attack but I wrapped it in chi.  I then used that extra chi to bend the attack.  So, instead of directing the attack itself, I manipulated the chi surrounding it.  Let me try it again."

Wu concentrates and performs another geyser attack.  This time the attack curves a great deal more as it travels across the lake.  It curves more sharply the farther it goes.

Wu shakes his head and takes a deep breath.  He brings his arms back and places his palms together.  With more force than before he shoves his arms forward with palms facing across the lake.  The geyser attack skims the top of the lake for a meter and a half before curving sharply upwards.  It follows the curve until it is traveling the opposite direction.  Wu's hair is blown from the wind as the geyser travels over his head.  The attack connects with the tree directly behind him, followed by a large smile on Wu's face.

"Incredible!  It felt like my chi really was an extension of my body.  I...  I suppose that's silly to say, because it actually is!  But it felt like I was bending a limb, rather than my chi.  Theldorian, once this crusade is over I will share this with my people.  The moulded spirit is quite incredible.  My head is spinning with applications of this for my own techniques.  Please tell me we have time for more lessons!"

It is rare for Wu to break his calm demeanor, but learning from an ancestral master monk is one such occasion.  His excitement is barely contained.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
"It'll do? I suppose tha's one way ta put it." Khadmas said, turning and heading back up the staircase. "Come along, we're done down 'ere." he said. He stepped up into the blacksmith and waited for the gorger to follow before sealing up the secret tunnel again.

"Come on lad, le's head out. About time fer me ta close up anyway." he said, leading the way out the door and locking it behind the two of them. They had barely started walking when a large, vibrant magical flare shot up into the sky.

"Well, looks like yer wizard's callin' ye back. Time ta go I guess. Come on, le's head ta tha grand council hall. I'll show ye tha way." Khadmas said, beginning to move down the winding streets.

-----------------

The Dragon smiled at the priest's reasoning, and as he channeled the Aether into that star, the Dragon reared back its head, and with a deep breath, spat pure life-giving energy at the sun, Roaring with the power of the Aether as another dragon might breathe fire. Within some time, the Star's light began to brighten, and soon it was burning with the full power of a living sun. It would live for many more Millennia before being in danger of dying once more.

"And now you see how the Aether can grant even the mightiest beings life on the brink of death. I trust that this lesson has started you on the path to looking within yourself. You will learn greater control in time." With that, his eyes glowed again, and in a flash, they were once more standing in the chapel the dragon had been preaching in. And at that moment, the dragon looked through a stained glass window and saw a magical flare shoot into the sky.

"Your Wizard has called you to his side. Come, I will show you the way." The dragon said, leading the way out of the building and through the winding streets of the city.

------------------------

"Indeed. You are learning fast, young one. That you were able to achieve at least basic mastery of the moulded spirit so quickly is a sign that you are truly gifted with spiritual prowess. There will always be more to learn, however, and even I have not achieved all there is to know. Yet-" He stopped suddenly as he watched a magical flare fill the sky.

"It seems there will not be time for more lessons just yet. First we must attend the call of your wizard. Come. Perhaps we will have time for more lessons afterward. I will show you the path to the council building."

With that Theldorian began to calmly walk his way through the peaceful streets, making his way to the council structure.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2013, 09:15:14 AM »
Wu is slightly deflated from the meaning of the flare.  His once giddy expression returns neutral as he collects himself.  They are not here to uncover secrets of the past.  There is a job to do and it is time to tend to it.

"Thank you, Theldorian."  Is all he says as he follows the elf towards the council structure.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2013, 06:49:17 AM »
As Rau was walking through the streets with the dragon, he felt a strange, lingering sensation, from the events before.

“Can you tell me more?” asked the Priest, looking up to the dragon. “I want to know how the aether affects me and those around me. Can I only channel it from within myself and what happens If I use too much? I have never thought about my powers this way, but now it feels different.”

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2013, 03:34:43 PM »
The dragon inclined its head to the human as they walked, large eyes watching him intently. "This power comes from you, that is true. However those who are skilled in its use can channel it into others. Overuse of the Aether is taxing, in the same manner one would be exhausted from physical labor, but this is a mental strain rather than a physical one. There is much for you to discover, and I cannot provide all answers. For now you must look into yourself for what you need to know." With that the Dragon raised its head back to the road, and looked ahead at the quickly approaching sight of the Council building, embedded in the wall at the back of the cavern.

------

The other groups moved rather silently and uneventfully, until the three of them converged, along with all of the others, at the council building. Its large columns and staircase looming before the group like some mountain parliament, its entrance carved into the stone. Down those large steps walked Seth, Sir Walter, and Orgarash, all conversing in serious tones until they reached the bottom, where they turned to the gathered group of soldiers and Ancient races.

"Gentlemen. We've been given aid from these ancient people. More men will join the crusade from this ancient city, and with their aid we will move against the Black City. The city of werewolves and Vampires is our first target in the crusade. We will arrive just as the bulk of our landed army does, and we will have quite the fight on our hands, but with these new allies we are more likely to claim victory." Walter spoke to the crowd, and then Orgarash stepped forward, looking into the group. "I see some of you have brought some of our number with you. That is good. All of the ones I see before me have been called back into active duty for this purpose. All of you are to gather your equipment and meet with the Human Battlegroup at the dragon's entrance while I go to gather the rest. Valorkoth, could you gather the Dragons?"

The dragon priest who had been speaking with Father rau inclined its head in a not and turned to go, striding back towards the spires of the dragon district, just as the others, Elryndyae, who had accompanied Akaga, Theldorian, Khadmas, and the other ancient ones among the group left the human soldiers to gather their equipment, offering nods and short farewells as they went to prepare.

"The rest of you, do the same. Follow your Nuckelavee to the Dragon's entrance and wait for the rest of us to arrive." Orgarash said, and Hggranath strode up. "Come..Follow me, brothersss." he hissed, sauntering off towards the dragon gate, the rest of the crusade following him.

"Rau, Sun Wu, and Gorger, you're to come with us." Walter said, indicating the three. "We go to meet the Orcs." With that, Walter, Seth, and Orgarash were off, further into the winding streets, leading the way to the Orc District.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »
"I'll see to it your craftsmanship does not go to waste, dwarf." The Gorger bid Khadmas farewell.  Soon, The Gorger would be able to unleash carnage upon his foes once more.  He was nearly trembling with excitement.  However, he still knew little about the strategy Sir Walter had in mind for them.  Once again, he found himself among familiar peers... and every sense in his body told him they had become stronger than they were before.  Much stronger.

"Walter," The Gorger's addressed his tamer with something that danced a fine line between curiosity and suspicion, "I can smell the fears in men.  I can look into a warrior's eyes and know in my blackened heart how many men have bled their last through those very hands.  I've seen many things in this army.  Men and women who have gone through unspeakable horrors, and bolstered their souls with the thought of vengeance against the darkness.  Some quicker than the monk, some more powerful than the holy man... and some, stronger than I." The point The Gorger was getting at was steadily becoming obvious, and perhaps he was not the only one it had occurred to.  "You called on us three for the barrow wight when you could have called on any of the nearby crusaders or beasts.  And now, I once again find myself in familiar company.  What exactly do you have planned for us?"

His words lacked the usual poisonous intent.  Perhaps the thrill of a new weapon was temporarily pacifying him to some degree.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2013, 10:26:06 AM »
Wu bows to Theldorian as they part.  "Once this is over, I would like to return and to this place and learn from you.  If you would entertain the idea, of course."

He turns to follow the Nuckelavee but is diverted by Sir Walter, beckoning him to join him.  Wu nods and falls in behind The Gorger, noticing the very large and very odd weapon strapped to the Ghoul's back.  It appears that Sun Wu is not the only one who picked up something new during their time here.

During the walk The Gorger, in his blunt manner, asks a rather curious question.  Wu does not share his concern, reasoning that The Current merely pulls them together.  But he is interested in Sir Walter's response.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #54 on: April 17, 2013, 12:54:58 PM »
Rau was happy to hear that the dragon priest will be joining the crusade; after all he has much he wants to learn from him. The priest’s thoughts were drifting in a different direction, however. Their tactics were about to change and drastically at that, unless there is a way to move a group of dragons behind enemy lines unnoticed. Rau’s chuckle at the idea quickly changed in to a serious expression as he glanced at Sir Walter and Seth walking down the stairs of the council building, with their orc companion.

“Well if someone could pull off such a stunt it is probably him.” Said the priest as he moved to the front of the group gathered in front.

"Rau, Sun Wu, and Gorger, you're to come with us." Walter said, indicating the three. "We go to meet the Orcs."

It was now that Rau noticed the monstrosity on the Gorger’s back. The weapon looked weird, not only because it was devoid of any aesthetic looks, but because it did not look like something a man would ever wield. The weapon looked too big, too clumsy and too unique as if made for the monster itself. Well no matter the cause, the ghoul’s destructive potential increased and for now that was good, so there is no reason to dwell on the matter.

"Walter, … planned for us?"

“What comes out of your rotting head never seizes to surprise me!” Said the priest, while looking at the ghoul and shaking his head in disbelief. “Back at the barrow wright battle we showed what we were capable of. I am more surprised that Sir Walter put his trust in the teamwork of 3 individuals he only had heard about, who never worked together before and not to mention the exchange on the deck before that.” Rau’s gaze shifted towards Sir Walter. “Seeing how things turned out, however, is nothing else but a testimony, to his abilities as a leader. Most likely we are together again, to receive another task.”

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
Walter raised his hand to silence Father Rau before he could continue to insult the Ghoul. "He has a right to ask that question. I have indeed been relying on the three of you frequently. And there is a reason for it. Your fight against the Barrow Wight showed me something in the three of you, something I don't think even the three of you have quite figured out. And I continue to call on you because I believe what I see must be formed and moulded, so that it may grow into something magnificent. What I see is the capacity to form a team. You come from three of the most disparate cultures of this world; the realm of monsters, the holy church of Lumos, and the monasteries of Akavashani. And yet, when you were called upon to battle the Barrow Wight, you showed the spark of a synergy that is unheard of in such cross-culture groups. Whether you like each other or not, you showed skill and prowess in working together on the battlefield. Such a team of warriors is nearly unstoppable, and the phenomenon something the Tamers call a Destined Unity, for though you may or may not come from separate places, fate has thrown you together and on the battlefield you are nigh unstoppable in a group."

As the group continued to walk, the buildings became more haphazard in construction. They appeared to be welded together from scrap metal using great heat, and the noise of sparks and flames echoed from inside some structures, and Orc men and women wandered the area. They had clearly entered the Orcs' section of the city, and their technological advantage was clear. There were strange devices that spewed fire in concentrated bursts, welding metal together and patching holes in buildings and combining metal bars that were used in strange devices. There was a communal hum in the air as Crystals from the ceiling of the cavern adorned buildings, each of them giving a faint, almost unnoticeable tune that required one to listen to truly hear. But then Walter spoke over the quiet hum, his commanding voice overpowering it.

"I will let you three in on a secret. Every crusade of the past, from the failures, the stalemates, and the successes that bought us back some of this planet from the monsters, each one began with, and was led by, one of these unities. The leaders who formed each crusade were bonded to each other by more than a common enemy, but by fate, and only such unities could pull enough influence to create a crusade of this magnitude. This is the fifth crusade into the lands of monsters, and in each one there were less than five recorded cases of a Destined Unity. This should provide you some perspective on how unique your case is, should you truly be one such Unity."

Seth stepped up behind Walter then, tapping him on the shoulder.

"Yes my friend?" Walter said, turning to face the aged wizard.

"I believe there are forces at work here, Walter." Seth said, indicating forward as an Orc came forward to meet Orgarash, who had strode ahead of the group to clasp hands and clap shoulders with the newcomer.

"Indeed. I have seen more cases of a Unity in this Crusade than ever has been recorded before. There are at least six that I know of. We may see if there are such unities among the ancient races."

Orgarash turned and returned to the group then, the other Orc following behind.

Though the newcomer had no swords or axes, or even any heavy armor, he was adorned in metal-plated leather and strapped from head to foot in strange devices with similar design to the one on Orgarash's back, from two long-barreled devices crossing on his back to multiple shorter ones on his belt and leggings, and a wide-barreled, brutish looking weapon on the back of his belt.

"Gentlemen, this is Grakul, and he is the best marksman the Orcs have to offer. He'll be joining us in the crusade, and I thought it best to meet him here before we gathered the rest of the forces."

Grakul nodded, his long black hair tied in braids flowing over his face as he bowed to the group before standing, flashing a toothy grin as he looked at the weapon adorning the Gorger's back.

"Ah, the Stonebeard's made his work known to the Humans, eh? I'd recognize his craftsmanship anywhere. You're lucky to have such a weapon." He said, looking the massive Siege breaker over with an impressed gaze.

"Well then. I suppose we should keep moving."

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #56 on: April 25, 2013, 11:10:52 PM »
The Gorger grinned at the thought of this; he held no beliefs regarding fate, and found the idea of a pre-determined fate silly.  It would go against the very idea of free will, which was a goal he still very much intended to achieve.  He reached out his arms and wrapped them around the shoulders of Sun Wu and Father Rau, pulling them uncomfortably close.  With a mocking pitch to his voice, "You hear that boys?  We're a Unity!" The Gorger's arms relaxed off their shoulders and back to his sides as his body shook with laughter.

"You're lucky to have such a weapon." Grakul stated. 

Naturally, nobody was more satisfied with his weaponry than The Gorger was, but his response fell short as he tried to figure out exactly what weapons the orc was carrying.  Each one of them were hollow; it was unlike any design he had ever seen.  "Aye, my weapon is a beauty to behold... but I have to admit, your weaponry has piqued my curiosity.  I haven't seen anything of the like."
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:09:01 AM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2013, 03:35:56 PM »
Rau did not look with kind eye on what Sir Walter was saying. The three of them did indeed defeat the barrow wright, though not a minor accomplishment, that alone does not signify destiny. The most disturbing thing about all this, would be the thought that he is destined to fight by the ghouls side. A most disturbing thought to any one, the priest imagined.

As if moved by the hand of fate itself, the ghouls hands wrapped around the holy man and the monk, bringing all three of them uncomfortably close.

"You hear that boys?  We're a Unity!"

Thinking about it was bad enough, but when the ghoul went and rubbed it in further, he hit a nerve he shouldn’t have. After the Gorger let go, Rau calmly moved to the side. Taking a few deep breaths, the priest concentrated on the feeling he had back when he tried to save the star. Though not able to completely replicate the sensation, he managed to channel a similar energy.

(Healing Hands + Aether) With his energy channeled the holy man started walking towards the unsuspecting ghoul. As he molds his energy into healing energy, Rau’s hands begin to glow brightly. “Let’s see if my healing has improved.” Saying that the priest’s hands found the back of the ghoul and the released energy quickly found its way to every part of the ghoul’s body.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2013, 08:56:49 AM »
A Divine Unity.  Wu has never heard of such a thing.  It would appear that their individual currents all flow together, or at least parallel.  He stops himself as he remembers Theldorian's words.  Not a current, but a pool.  So perhaps they are riding the same ripple, as their actions disturb the balance.  But aren't there currents in pools?  A ripple follows a current--!

"You hear that boys?  We're a Unity!"

The Gorger's thick meaty arm wraps around his shoulders and pulls him close, breaking him out of thoughts.  Wu stammers, completely caught off guard, giving a small, half hearted laugh as The Gorger lets go.

Sun Wu pulls out his pipe and packs in a generous amount of tobacco.  He lights it and sends plumes of smoke into the air as he puffs.

He nods to Grakul in greeting.  The orc's weapons are peculiar. Wu typically does not take interest in weapons, but ignoring something he's never seen before is foolish.  It looks like something might come out of the hollow end, but he can't imagine what.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2013, 07:35:59 PM »
"Let's see if my healing has improved."

The Gorger did not have time to react.  As Father Rau's hands made contact with the ghoul's flesh, the creature appeared to have been struck by lightning.  His back arched backward as he let loose an extended, powerful snarl through his teeth, unable to unclench his jaw as he grinded his teeth to bear the pain.  Every inch of his body burned as if he had been set aflame, and every scar on his body felt as though it was being pressed with hot irons.  The taste of the rot in his mouth - a new sensation made possible from the sheer life force - was repulsive, and though he was fortunate to have fully digested his recent meals, his body could not help but wretch, but all that forced itself out was dry air.

He stumbled about for only a brief moment before he grabbed a hold of the Siege Breaker, and with a violent warcry, turned to bring it down upon Father Rau.  The wind roared as it came down on the priest's head, only to stop short inches from his skull, the force scattering dust and pebbles at Father Rau's feet.  The Gorger's muscles visibly flexed and twitched as the ghoul leaned all of his weight into his weapon, attempting to fight Sir Walter's will with all of his might.  After a moment more, he withdrew his weapon, his rage still visible on his face, and turned his back on the priest.  He directed his anger to his current master.

"I am forced into service; promised rewards if I behave.  I fight battles against legions; battles that are not my own.  I am experimented on; left to the whims of my master's lackeys." The Gorger motions toward the priest with a slight turn of his head, and looks back to Sir Walter, glaring him in the eye. "I can take it.  I can.  But don't you self-righteous zealots ever convince yourselves you're any different from the vampires; you're not.  You're as deserving of death as they ever will be.  I admit, I take comfort in the fact that whether I'm killing vampires..." he turned and looked around to the nearby crusaders, "...or chewing the bones of crusaders, I know that whoever I'm killing... it's deserved."

The mischievous chuckling, the grinning, the empty threats... none of it was there.  It appeared Father Rau had finally hit the nerve he had been looking for.  The ghoul was angry to say the very least - his thirst for crusader blood was palpable.

"Lead on, Commander.  I believe I've worked up an appetite." he hissed.