Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)  (Read 59214 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 4)
« Reply #180 on: November 07, 2013, 07:02:21 PM »
When everyone else is knocked over, Sig manages to barely keep his feet. (Constitution - Fortitude of the All-Father) He quickly looks around to check on the status of his companions. As he does this, he catches something out of the corner of his eye. Fenwick, the mage. One minute he is standing there, and then the next, he is gone. As the others get to his feet, Sig looks all around the clearing and sees no sign of him. He is lost in thought for a moment, but reacts when Sembas begins trying to track him.

"Yer not gonna be able to track him that way, lad. He didn't walk out of this clearing. He vanished. To where, I cannot say."

With nothing more useful to add, Sig wanders around the group, looking for anyone who may need the aid of the All-father.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #181 on: November 08, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »
   Dennan claps Sembas on the back and nods approvingly at his attempt to use the Request to Dirt spell. “Normally, such a skill would work…”

“Fjorin’s right,” agrees Honor. “There is no trace of Fenwick and our mission is far too important to jeopardize. We cannot tarry long in looking for him.”

“You’re awfully quick to abandon hope in his retrieval,” speaks Blood with a frown.

“No, you misunderstand, milady,” returns Honor. “But you know just as well as I, Captain, that though his disappearance may be unnerving under normal circumstances, we must remember where we are. Anything is possible in this place, and in the worst of ways.”

Dennan grunts. “Still, this is unusual to say the least.” He lumbers forward towards the area that Fenwick inexplicably disappeared from. He sniffs the air and closes his eyes, as if processing whatever information he has gained from this simple action. He glances towards Lai who returns his gaze evenly.

“Carnis. The scent is fresh and very strong,” comments Dennan.

“Don’t look at me!” cries Lai, raising her hands defensively. “I did one of those… what do you call it… baths! I took a bath! I was covered in crumbs and jelly after breakfast and Fjorin told me I needed a bath! I smell great! I don’t stink!” She says raising her arm into the air and thrusting her armpit towards Dennan.

Dennan looks at her distastefully. “I never said it was coming from you. I know your scent, and this is not it.”

Lai crosses her arms over her chest. “Thank you!” She tilts her head to the side. “Hey… Wait a minute. What do you mean ‘my scent?’”

Dennan ignores her questions.  “Fenwick isn’t exactly the most strong-willed among us. It would be very easy for a Carnis to take possession of his body. That being said a Carnis cannot disappear into thin air.”

“No,” agrees Blood. “But with the right tools it could easily take him away. I know for a fact Dethys has teleportation orbs. That’s how Serenity left Avalon without using the gate. And if Dethys has them…” Blood shakes her head, her face grim. “That means Fortuna might have access to it as well.”

Dennan nods. “That seems a likely assumption. Whatever the case, I have no way to track him any further. We must return to the task at hand. We must find the Crimson Wolves and deliver the parcel Fjorin carries to the Marrow.” Dennan turns to Sembas. “I will lead us onward, but as you have been honing your abilities to track and perceive the world around you, I will trust your senses to keep our rear protected, Sembas. Whatever took Fenwick could just as easily take any one of us, and even in an abomination such as this place, I trust your growing wisdom of the wilds to keep our people safe.”

Dennan is so often a man of few words that abandoning his brevity for the sake of lauding your skills could be perceived as a welcome vote of confidence. Dennan moves to the front of the party and beckons for the rest of you to follow.

Lai marches silently beside Fjorin. It is apparent to the Ebonmane warrior that his new-found friend is ill-at-ease. Her arms are crossed over her chest and her thoughts seem distracted. One could infer that perhaps she knows more than she is willing to admit to the rest of your companions.

The woods are dense, dark and deep, and the trees withered, gnarled and ominous. They stand as silent spectres, as if watching your advance with attention rapt. Branches scrape against your armor or exposed skin, sending chills down your spines and despair into your hearts. As you draw deeper into the woods, you can make out faint and strange whispers.

“The Marrow,” mutters Dennan. “Whatever you may hear, pay it no heed.”

There is no way to decipher the time of day, but you suspect that you have been walking for hours, and the very rare light to be found in this place begins to gradually fade until you can scarcely see two steps in front of you.

Dennan seems unbothered by this change, but Honor nearly topples over after tripping on a branch, and Blood curses under her breath as a branch jabs her in the cheek.

“Dennan, we can’t all see as well as you,” grumbles Blood.

You can see the shadow of the mountainous Dennan nod. “Should we make camp?”

“Yes, please! I’m still getting used to all these pieces I have now, and my feet are aching terribly,” moans Lai. “And this nonsense grows heavy.” She gestures to the lightweight leather armor Blood had brought her from the armory. You all know it is not at all heavy, but for someone whose form used to be that of a spirit, and is used to being completely unencumbered and seemingly unaffected by normal rules of gravity, you can assume it is an adjustment.

The air is growing colder and Dennan finds a small clearing in the trees to make a fire. Even with Dennan’s outdoor skills, the fire seems to be struggling to thrive.

Blood kneels by the fire. “We’ll start moving again as soon as we can get some daylight, or it grows a bit less dark at the very least.”

Dennan grunts. “I’m going to get a better view.” In the blink of an eye, Dennan has quickly assumed the form of great horned owl. He quickly takes flight, his massive wings propelling him upwards until he vanishes through a small break in the limbs of the trees.

Chico squeaks in Sembas’s pocket. “Great! More things that could eat me.”

“It’s still Dennan, foolish mouse,” returns Anlaf. “He didn’t eat mouse as a human, so why would he eat them now?"

“I don’t know why your kind sees my kind as a delicacy,” states Chico angrily.

“Hmph! Delicacy!” Anlaf tilts his head. “You think a bit much of yourself! I have always preferred fish to mouse. Less fight and less fluff to deal with. Not to mention, your kind is a bit too chewy and not nearly filling for my tastes.”

Honor meticulously inspects his arms and armor, rechecks the supplies in his pack, and seats himself by the fire. He glances towards Siron. “Those are some nice new weapons and armor you have there. I take it you were by old Smith’s before we left Avalon? Bit of an adjustment from mortal weapons.”

He rests his hands upon his knees. “I haven’t had much chance to speak with you at length since you arrived in Avalon, Siron. How are you…” He pauses for a moment. “How are you doing with… with all this? Being an Immortalis… learning there is so much more to the world than what we knew as mortals?”

Blood stares into the fire, but her expression is vacant. From time to time, she glances up to Sig as if she is about to say something, then quickly thinks better of it, and returns to staring at the fire again.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #182 on: November 12, 2013, 10:58:43 AM »
   Siron listens to the conversation, feeling like he has nothing productive to add, he refrains from commenting. His elation from the earlier encounter has already left him. Even though he is trying to hide it, the more perceptive members of the party would easily see, that he is angry and frustrated after Fenwick's disappearance. Throughout the following march, the knight remains silent, apart from a few grunts after he himself trips in the darkness of the forest.

After Dennan starts a fire, Siron sits on a log a few meters away from it. Dim light dances upon the knight’s armor, as he takes off his helmet and looks at his own reflection in it.

“Those are some nice new weapons and armor you have there. I take it you were by old Smith’s before we left Avalon? Bit of an adjustment from mortal weapons.”

The young man’s face lights up instantly. “You should have seen how much he has there! I only had a chance to look at them for a short while, but every item in there was incredible! It would take a mortal smith a lifetime to craft one and the guy had a roomful!” The knight finally lowers his voice and calms down. “Ahem, I was just saying he has a talent for smiting. Oh and when we go back he is definitely coming with us to the tavern.”

“I haven’t had much chance to speak with you at length since you arrived in Avalon,... learning there is so much more to the world than what we knew as mortals?”

Siron rests his helmet upon the log and takes a few seconds to arrange his thoughts. His cheerful face struggles to remain the same. “It has been a lot to take in. Everyone and everything in Avalon, is incredible.  That actually helped me though, it really did wonders to keep my mind off everything that happened.  The stuff before you met me in person, you know what I am talking about. I think I really managed to let go of it, leave it in the past and all that.” Siron looks directly at Honor, there is a bit of tension in his voice now. “When I think about what my brothers did, I still get frustrated and angry, but it I am handling it. Time will show how it will turn out.”

The knight gives out a deep sigh and smiles whole heartedly again. “Enough with the gloomy stuff.  I never thanked you for all you have done for me, in my first life and in this one.” Siron takes his helm in his left hand, falls on one knee, lowers his head and presses his right fist on the left side of his chest. “Captain Lurien Honor of the Fierce Legion, in light of the recent events, I Siron Entrima wish to express my gratitude to all you have done for me. You saved me and my father. Your display of strength and valor, during that time, led to me becoming the man that I am today. For that you have my eternal gratitude!” The young man stands up and stretches his arms. “Well that lifted a weight off my shoulders.”

Feeling a little bit embraced, the knight quickly tries to change the subject. “Recently I was thinking, which fraction I should aim to be in, the Blood Wardens, the Fierce Legion or any other fraction in Avalon, which would help me develop myself and use my abilities to the max. Do you have any suggestions?”
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #183 on: November 12, 2013, 06:35:25 PM »
While Fjorin was used to larger treks than this, his large body allowed him no advantages in such a thick forest, and it was quick to exhaust his patience as the jagged branches beat him around.  He cannot help but feel his mind travel to darker thoughts as they progress, and his inner traumas begin to swell.  "Pay it no heed." They say.  It was more easily said than done.

Lai's mannerisms were familiar - not unlike how she was acting earlier at the tavern.  Fjorin found it a fine opportunity to distract himself from the surrounding evil.  As the group seems to settle down and make themselves as comfortable as they can in such a land, the Ebonmane warrior acts accordingly, and places himself next to Lai.  With his blade in the earth, and his arms rested upon the hilt, he stares into the fire.

"I have seen you act this way before, not long ago." Fjorin says, inaudible to the rest of the group, save those with exceptional senses.  "You are in good company, Lai.  Please, speak your mind."

Please.  A word the former carnis was sure she had not heard from the last of the Ebonmane.  It seemed Fjorin was at least making an attempt to improve his civility.  In all reality though, it just sounded plain silly coming out of his mouth.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2013, 04:45:10 PM »
Honor chuckles in response to Siron’s enthusiasm regarding his new weapons and armor. “Yeah, Smith has had a long time to practice his art. His pieces are beyond compare.”

He nods in understanding when Siron discusses his adjustments to life as an Immortalis. “Your brothers’ actions teem with wickedness and greed, and if I have learned anything in my life, it is good things will happen for those with noble hearts and minds. Those who have wickedness in their souls, they will eventually come to get what they deserve. Though we may not know the way in which their judgment will be served, I am sure the Divine will see to that.”

Honor blushes considerably at Siron’s show of gratitude. He claps the young man on the back. “I am privileged to have known your father, Siron, and equally so to know you. But you owe me no thanks. Make no mistake; you are the man that you are because of the choices you have made. No one could have done that for you. You have carved out your own path, and I have no doubt that great deeds line your path. Still, I am honored to have held any degree of positive influence over you, Siron.”

Honor considers Siron’s question carefully. He is silent and thoughtful for quite some time. “Both companies are of equal merit. I suppose what it really comes down to is what is in your heart. When I first came to Avalon, I knew there would never be a better company for me than the Blood-Wardens. Yet, as you can see, that’s not where I am now.”

“When I first arrived in Avalon... I was…” Honor shifts uncomfortably and clears his throat. “Well, to be honest I was filled with anger over the many injustices done towards me, furious over all the hardship and pain life had delivered unto me. I had always wanted to be a champion of good, and so the Blood Wardens seemed a natural fit, but it was my anger that prevented me from achieving the degree of greatness I longed for. Mind you, my skills with nearly any melee weapon are difficult to beat, but what the Blood Wardens do… Well… One needs a certain clarity of mind, and mine was too clouded to focus on the General’s teachings. Yet, for me, Commander Fierce’s Legion was a perfect fit.”

“What you must understand is the Blood-Wardens are masters of both body and blade. They are all skilled with their chosen weapons, but they employ a certain type of wisdom, Combat Tactics. These are powerful techniques employed upon the battlefield, but only a chosen few can use them efficiently. They shape the tide of the battle, and every action is calculated and cunning. With a mere stomp of her foot, Blood can throw even the greatest warriors around like ragdolls without even touching them. I have seen General Fury slam her fist into the ground with such enormous power, the earth literally trembles!”

“So great are their powers with these techniques, that some don’t even use weapons in the traditional sense. Blood does, but if you’ve ever seen the General in action, and I guarantee you, it is a sight to behold, she takes up no arms. Instead, she relies on her tactics, her movements, and her unique fighting style to inflict damage. The Blood-Wardens are masterful strategists, thoughtful and methodical in their actions, and every move in the battlefield is flawlessly executed.”

“The Legion relies more upon strength and raw power. We mean to overpower our enemies as quickly as possible. Our company is often referred to as Berserkers, because our warriors thrive on anger and emotion. They work themselves into such a frenzy, that both friend and foe tremble in their presence. We utilize more traditional warfare. We seldom employ combat tactics, but show great mastery over our chosen weapons. Our style of war is brutal, head-on, and we show no mercy.”

"My dream is to join the Archon's Elite Guard. They are paladins of virtue, aiding the Archon on the frontlines. They are his most trusted allies, and creatures of evil rarely escape their wrath. They are warriors of the Divine, putting our God before all other things, risking life and limb to glorify his holy name."

"There are many other options beyond the three companies. Aras used to lead a group of humans called the Shar'ada, talented scouts and shadow troops. The Crimson Wolves are skilled shapeshifters, and there are many other factions that comprise the Bulwark of Heaven."
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:21:59 PM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #185 on: November 14, 2013, 09:05:08 AM »
Sembas is honored at Dennan's trust in his abilities.  He returns a determined nod and an, "I'll do my best," in response. 

The dark woods are eerie.  The branches of the ominous trees reach out and scrape against his armor.  He Keeps Anlaf close to his chest, with his right arm protecting him from any of the branches that poke in too close.

As the group travels he keeps his senses sharp.  He even goes so far as to count everyone in front of him from time to time, making sure no one else is spirited away.

Before long, even his eyes are having a difficult time of seeing.  The whispers in his ears are unsettling in such dark.  They thankfully make camp, and a fire choked by the oppressing darkness struggles to light the area.

As Dennan shifts into an owl Chico squeaks his distaste.  He and Anlaf's discussion provides a welcome distraction.

"You know Anlaf, mice are quite hearty individuals.  Fearless too.  Chico and his friends once fought off Faile and Besnik when they mistook me for a field mouse."  He winks down at Chico in his pocket.  "Of course, I kind of was a field mouse at the time..."  He sort of drifts off.

The falconer snaps out of it and twitches his nose, making sure he doesn't have any whiskers attached to it.

"Now, Anlaf, what is your opinion of the owls?  Besnik seems to think they're no good layabouts.  I haven't spoken with any owls, personally.  So I am rather neutral on the whole matter."

He tries to not focus on the faint whispers that catch his ears from time to time.  Just the wind, he tells himself.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2013, 05:47:10 PM »
   Lai moves closer to Fjorin, her features expressing a certain degree of confliction. Several times she appears as if she is about to say something, but quickly rethinks it and dismisses the thought.

Finally, mustering her nerve, she leans her lips close to his ear, her words a hushed whisper. “I want to tell you Fjorin, but I am afraid. I’m afraid that the rest of these people will hate me for it. I think I know where their friend is… and why he was taken. What’s more… I know who took him.”

She quickly pulls away. There is clearly more she wants to say, but it is evident that she is reluctant to talk about it with the rest of the party in such close proximity. 

“I must thank you, Fjorin… For everything you have done for me,” speaks Lai sincerely.  “I never had a friend before, and I find this experience most pleasing.”

Anlaf snorts at Sembas’s kind words on behalf of mice-kind. “Hearty? Hardly! As for owls, I could take them or leave them. Besnik isn’t entirely wrong in thinking them layabouts, but I’ve met decent ones in my travels.”

Sembas can hear the whispers again, this time louder than before, yet the rest of the company appear unaffected, as if they are incapable of perceiving them. It starts off as unintelligible whispers, but eventually, words begin to take form.

“Go no further, Sembas!”

The voice is oddly familiar, yet you have difficulty placing it at first.

“Go no further, Sembas! Fenwick has been taken by the Forsaken! He was the key to the Marrow!  Go no further! Fortuna and her people! They know you are there! Tell the others. Turn around while there is still time!”

The second time, you realize with absolute certainty, that you are hearing the voice of your beloved Gladia Archer.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #187 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:16 PM »
Siron spreads his arms and shakes them and his head in disbelief.  “Wait, wait, wait! You were too angry? You?” Siron’s gaze shifts towards Blood than back at Honor. “How angry were you again? Because I really don’t think you can compare with captain Blood over there, no offence.”

“The Archon’s Elite Guard, Smith mentioned it as well. I wonder what the requirements are, if a captain from the Fierce Legion doesn’t meet them. Or is your commander keeping you for himself?”

Siron quiets down for a second, obviously in thought. “Now that I think about it, you told me stories about the Bulwark, but you never did tell me anything about your mortal life.” The knight’s head jumps back as he corrects himself again. “Not that you had to or anything! I am just being curious again.” He glances around to see if anyone is paying attention to them and then, in a low voice barely different from a whisper, he leans over and talks. “If you don’t mind me asking, who was Lurien before he became Honor?”

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »
Sig keeps comfortable on a log near the fire. He spends most of his time meticulously mending the strings on his battle-lute while idly listening to the conversations of others. Multiple times he catches Blood looking towards him, but she never says anything. After the third or fourth instance of this, Sig's curiosity gets the better of him. He makes eye contact with Blood and there is a tinge of concern in his voice when he speaks.

"Aye, lass. Everything okay? Did you want to talk about something?"

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #189 on: November 17, 2013, 01:01:23 PM »
@Siron:

Honor chuckles. “Well, I guess that’s the difference between me and Blood. That woman’s anger does not inhibit her… it fuels her. I was never able to attune myself to Combat Tactics. Besides, don’t let Blood fool you; she may seem unapproachable and unable to tolerate others, yet she has one of the biggest hearts in Avalon. Her anger is a defense. It prevents people from getting too close.”

“As for my desire to join the Archon’s guard, I know that Commander Fierce would make the recommendation if I asked him, yet, he has done so much for me I would feel bad to even ask it of him. He has respectfully made me his second-in-command, a title which is not lightly given. Yet, I truly desire to serve the holy father, the great Divine, for all he has gifted to me.” 

Honor gazes into the fire again, his expression conflicted. “I don’t think Lurien was ever separate from Honor. Lurien was always Honor. However, the Honor you see before you wasn’t always of this demeanor. There was a time my hate and need for vengeance clouded my sight.”

“As a mortal, I was a peasant, not a noble. My father was a farmer and my mother a washwoman. In the kingdom where I lived, only nobles could be knights. Still, every time I watched the tournaments, I knew it was my greatest dream. I used to practice my swordplay in the fields, and my father, noting my enthusiasm, even fashioned a lance for me. I would practice on straw dummies for hours, from the time I finished my chores in the wee hours of the morning, until I evening when I could scarcely see two inches from my face.”

“Whenever it was time for the tournament jousts, my father would take me to watch. Those were some of the best times of my life. There was one, I was about 15 or so at the time, and I was so thrilled by what I had seen I immediately ran home to practice again. I knew the rules would never change; I would never be a true knight, but I fancied I had the heart of one.”

“Well, it so happened our farm was not far off from one of the main roads into town, and that evening, while I was practicing, I saw a carriage coming down the road. I thought nothing of it. It wasn’t illegal to run straw dummies through with a lance, and carriages came down our road all the time. Nothing seemed out of sort, until the carriage stopped in front of our home. Well, the next thing I know, my father comes charging into the field. He’s totally out of breath and he’s doubled over trying to suck in enough air to speak. He’s grinning ear to ear. Says Prince Eadmar has arrived and he has asked to see me. I was flummoxed as to why he would want to see me. We had never met, though I had seen him from afar at tournaments.”

“So I went in, and Prince Eadmar proceeds to tell me that he is feeling very put upon. His father wants him to become a proper warrior. Thinks he should start jousting. But Eadmar… he’s what you would call… Well, he was pretty soft for lack of better terms. He weighed about as much as my left leg and rumor around the kingdom had it he had been rather sickly as a child. He was about the thinnest young man you’d ever see. Practically disappeared if he turned sideways, but he was tall for his age, about as tall as me.”

“He had seen me practicing in the fields and came up with a grand plan to benefit us both. I would pose as him for the tournaments. In exchange, he would pay my family a weekly sum of gold. It seemed a decent arrangement, I would get to participate in the tournaments, and he would receive the honor that came from winning. In addition, he told me that when he became king, he would see to it that I was properly knighted. ‘Rules be damned, Lurien!’ he told me. ‘When I am king you can do as you please!’ It seemed a mighty fine idea."

“Well, I kept my word, and Eadmar was true to his. Every week, without fail, he would send a large sum of money to my family. The more I won, the bigger the sum would be, and over time, my family enjoyed a very comfortable life. Turns out I was a very adept knight, and brought Eadmar more glory than he could handle. He started to get a bit big-headed and became quite a braggart regarding his wins at the tournaments.”

Honor shakes his head sadly. “But… as with all good things, our arrangement would come to an abrupt end. Eadmar had no business taking that gold, and soon he became reckless. Well, his father’s accountants took notice. Two people were hung, accused of thievery, before they were able to track it to Eadmar. He was young… and foolish. When they accused him of taking the funds, he said he didn’t do it… But he knew who did. A farmer who lived not far from the castle. Eadmar claimed he had even seen the farmer break into the castle to take it, but he dared not tell for the farmer threatened his life should he ever tell the truth.”

Honor shakes his head. “The king’s guards arrived at our home the next day. They took my father away. They interrogated him. They tortured him. But my father knew, just as I knew, that impersonating a noble was a form of treason, and if the king learned the skilled son he had watched and cheered at the jousts was a farmer’s child, he would turn his ire to me.”

“Thievery was one thing, but threatening the king’s son was another charge entirely. It was treason, and punishable by extreme means. As my father was taken to the platform where he would meet his end, I yelled and screamed at the top of my lungs, telling the truth to the jeering crowd. But no one would hear me, and my father’s final words to me were to beg my silence and save myself. I watched as my father was drawn, quartered, and finally decapitated. His screams haunted me, as they did my mother, who soon after, took her own life.”

“As for Eadmar, soon after, he was forced to fight his own joust for once. Needless to say, he was obliterated by his competition. A lance punctured his armor and struck him in the left arm, rendering the limb practically unusable. His father declared a national day of mourning as his skilled son would never be able to joust again.”

“My world was torn asunder, and I was left alone. I swore that Eadmar would suffer for his crimes, but I knew my revenge must be carefully planned. For several years, I planned the nature of my revenge. I knew Eadmar would be affected by his guilt over my parents’ deaths. He would want to make amends. It was about ten years later when the old king died, and I received my summons to the castle. Eadmar had been true to his word, he invited me to be knighted. When I met with him in private, I pretended to accept his apologies. I do not doubt the sincerity of his words; he admitted he had been a foolish child, frightened of his own father, and he had given into his fear. Again and again he begged my forgiveness, even weeping upon his knees at my feet. I humored him. I told him he had brought me great pain, but all would be forgiven since he was keeping his word to me. When the night finally arrived for the joining ceremony, I smiled and carried on as if I was pleased and honored to serve such a great king.”

“I knelt before him, and when he placed the flat of the blade upon my shoulder, I seized it in my gauntleted hand. He had not grown in strength over the years, and I easily wrested the blade from his grasp. I turned the blade upon him, stabbing him through the heart and killing him instantly. It was a far more merciful death than my father had endured.”

“I had succeeded in my revenge, and as a result, thrown the entire country into turmoil. Within my new home in the dungeons of the castle, I could hear the sounds of battle echoing through the castle walls. By killing the new king, I had incited a revolution. Eadmar’s uncle, Claudius, was summoned from his lands, and when he took power, his first act as king was to make a public display of me. The last sound I heard was the executioner’s axe slicing through the air, then suddenly, excruciating pain on the back of my neck.” Honor gestures to a long, jagged scar on the back of his neck.

“But despite the executioner’s strength, the axe would not make it through the rest of my neck, and it was then the Archon himself arrived in the town square. Blood poured from my wound and I could scarcely see as he approached. I felt strong arms lifting me up and bearing me away, and when I came to, I found myself in Avalon.”

“Even though I had achieved my revenge, for a long time, I struggled with the anger and hate that had left me bitter and miserable. Unlike Blood, I could not harness my rage for any productive means.  I joined the Blood-Wardens, but could not control my emotions enough to use their Combat Tactics. It was around that time Commander Fierce came to visit General Fury. He had intently been watching my lack of progress in the Blood-Wardens, and asked that I be given leave to join my company. He was able to teach me how to use my anger in battle, a debt I shall never be able to repay to him.” 

@Sig:

Blood's hands are clasped in her lap. "I don't know... I don't know where we go from here, Sig. With... with us. If you haven't noticed, relationships are not really my forte. Getting close to people is not in my nature." She rises to her feet. "I think it best we forget about what happened. We write it off as a few drunken moments of pleasure, and thereby avoid what could be a great deal of pain later on." She takes her leave of her place by the fire, standing vigilant and alone on the outer area of the camp.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 02:15:29 PM by Faidth »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #190 on: November 18, 2013, 03:46:32 AM »
Sig stares into the fire for a few moments while he ponders the situation. It would be fairly easy for him to just continue to sit here. To lose himself in his music. Maybe compose a new song. That's what he would have done back home. That's how he avoided most of his problems. Just retreated to where no one could find him and lost himself in his music. His gift from Alviss. But no one could hear this gift but him if he hid it from the world. Alviss doesn't want his gifts to be hidden. And alviss doesn't want him to avoid his problems. That's not how to be a proper Chosen of Alviss. Not at all.

As Blood stands at the outer edges of the camp and stares into the darkness, she hears footsteps behind her.

"No, lass. If I wanted to avoid pain and problems, I would have stayed under the mountain."

Sig falls in place beside Blood, staring out into the darkness with her.

'When you charge into combat, do you stop and think about what might happen if you fail? Probably not. hesitation gets ya in trouble. Gets ya killed. But it turns out life works that way as well, lass. You never accomplish anything great in life by hesitating. You gotta try things to find what you want, even if they might end in pain and tears."

Sig looks up at Blood.

"You can get by in life avoiding things cause they are hard or might not work out, but ya won't be happy. The best things are the things that you have to work at. The things you have to be brave to get. The things that are worth fightin for. And you, lass... you're worth fightin for."

A ghost of a grin crosses Sig's features.

"And I didn't have ya pegged as someone who just gives up on a challenge without tryin."

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #191 on: November 18, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »
Fjorin was somewhat taken aback by Lai's words.  Thankful for what he had done for her?  In his eyes, it should be the other way around, though he saw no reason to protest a mutual gratitude.  He took a hand from the hilt of his blade and placed a hand on her shoulder with a firm pat, and smiled before he leaned in closely and whispered, his eyes still fixated on the flickering flames, "Aye, friendship is a rare and valuable thing.  I cannot possibly name all the men that have hated me, and cursed my name for taking their brothers and sons from them.  On the fields of battle... on the vast oceans... even in my own chambers... I have seen the eyes of men who wanted me dead; eyes filled with rage - with hate."

The Ebonmane prince gazed about the group suddenly, as if motioning Lai to follow.  "Do you see their eyes, Lai?" he took another moment to look over them once more.  "Do you see hate?"
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:14:20 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #192 on: November 18, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »
@Fjorin:

Lai carefully considers your question, and her eyes seem to search the faces of all around the fire. Dennan is still perched in the trees above, and Blood and Sig are unaccounted for, save for a slight glimpse of their shadows near the edges of the camp. Sembas appears lost in thought while his animal companions squabble nearby. Honor is engaged in conversation with Siron, both too involved in their discussion to send any hate in the former Carnis’s direction.

Lai nods in understanding. “I suppose you are right. I must admit, I am surprised by how easily these Ageless give their trust. Forgive me, it has become my nature to second guess the motivations of the Immortalis. I have had to frequently remind myself that these immortals are not the same who bound my spirit for so long. I suppose just as all Carnis are not truly evil, so much must be the same for Immortalis.”

“Fjorin… Before I departed Darastae with Aras, I heard rumblings from other Carnis about Severan. He has been… unwell as of late, and rumor had it he had driven himself to distraction over a certain missing person. Apparently, this other person was unaware of Severan’s existence, and the Lord of Darastae was sparing nothing to search for him. Many of my kind were dispatched to track down this man… It was…” Lai shakes her head as if attempting to muster her courage to continue her tale. “It was a son. Severan is said to have sired a son among men. Needless to say, given his seeming hatred of humankind, this was quite the scandal. All I know is the man in question is a young Immortalis, recently welcomed into the ranks. Severan was having great difficulty finding him, and believed the Ageless must have gotten to the boy before he could.”

“When Fenwick was taken… I felt a presence. A familiar one. I knew right away it was a Carnis. I caught just a glimpse of the spirit before we were knocked aside. It was as close to a friend as I had in Darastae. It called itself Nao. I have no doubt your friends are right. Carnis cannot simply spirit people away. Yet, it could have quickly taken over Fenwick’s body and forced him to use the teleportation orb to send him to Darastae. There is no doubt in my mind that the mage has been taken by the Forsaken.”

@Sig:

Blood is silent. You can tell she is listening carefully to every word that emanates from the Chosen of Alviss’s lips, yet she makes no response. Not the slightest glimmer of interest in her eyes, nor the rage that seems to fuel the fires of her soul. Never before have you seen her so passive, so seemingly uncaring. You become instantly aware of the fact that in the outskirts of the camp, there would be no one to quickly intervene should she turn on you, and that is Blood as you have come to know her. One part human, one part immortal, and one part caged animal ready to pounce.

Eventually her silence becomes unnerving, and you are taken completely unaware as she seizes you roughly by the collar, slams you against the nearest tree, and kisses you hard upon the lips. She unclenches her hand, letting you drop to your feet, and without another word, makes her way back to the fire. From the unpredictable Captain Blood, this seems the closest thing to an answer you will get.

@All

Several hours later, dim glimmers of light fight their way through the all encompassing branches that try their mightiest to blot out the sun.

Dennan rouses you all from your places around the fire and beckons for you to follow him. For hours you continue your trek through the forests. Several times you narrowly escape harm. At one point, Dennan carefully leads you through a vast expanse of strange red sands. He demonstrates with a rock that one misstep would result in the sands devouring you. Anlaf threatens to toss a squeaking Chico into the sands as the mouse, who slept very little, has been most disagreeable since last you camped.

Later in the day, Honor becomes ensnared by particularly vicious vines that embed their thorns deep into the exposed flesh of his face. Once embedded, the thorns only seem to push into the flesh deeper with any attempt to extract them. It is Blood who finally figures it out. It is only with a greater offering of blood that the thorns will release their prey, so the Captain finds a large, misshapen creature that barely passes for a squirrel. She quickly dispatches the creature and tosses it to the vines, which immediately drop their hold on Honor in favor of ravenously devouring the squirrel.

You make camp again that night, and once again, at first light, you continue your trek through the forests. It is on this third day that Dennan’s eyes grow wild as he catches a faint scent upon the air.

“I can’t be sure, but it certainly smells like Vartan,” comments Dennan. “I think I might have something.”

Yet, despite following a trail for several hours, the trace abruptly disappears, leaving the typically docile Dennan in a state of agitation as he frantically tries to find the trail again. With nothing else to follow, the General’s son resigns himself to leading you further through the forests and closer to the Marrow.

It is nearing evening when you reach a small clearing in the trees. In the center of this clearing is a large rock formation that juts out from the ground at a sharp angle. As you near the formation, you can hear a loud growling sound all around you, and you realize there are several creatures hidden in the brush around the outer areas of this clearing. To your surprise, an enormous beast emerges from the shadows. You realize it is a large dire wolf, the size of which dwarfs even those that Dennan calls friends.

Without warning, the wolf hurtles towards the party, yet when it draws closer, you see that its form shifts quite suddenly, and barreling towards you now is a man of average height, dressed in lightweight leather armor. He is an older gentleman, likely in his 50’s. His shaggy gray hair hangs over his icy blue eyes, and you realize he is making his way directly towards Blood. Despite this strange occurrence, the Captain does not shrink back or ready her weapon, rather, with arms outstretched she runs directly towards the man, scooping him up in a great embrace.

“Mama!” cries the stranger. “Mama!” His old, grizzled voice sounds strange to be speaking such childish words. “Mama!”

Blood squeezes him tightly, smattering his forehead in tender kisses. “Vartan, my dear sweet boy!” She lifts the man off his feet and twirls him in the air before gently setting him upon the ground again. "My son... Don't you ever, EVER, leave like that again!"  You can scarcely believe what you are seeing as the unthinkable happens: there are tears streaming down Blood’s face. She presses her weeping eyes into Vartan's shoulder, and for a moment, the rigid Captain Blood seems almost human.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 06:32:42 PM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #193 on: November 19, 2013, 11:56:53 AM »
Go no further, Sembas!

This whisper is striking.  Until now they have been more like wavering sounds, coming and going like a gust of wind.  This one is clear, and hearing his name sets his back rigid.

Go no further, Sembas! Fenwick has been taken by the Forsaken! He was the key to the Marrow!  Go no further! Fortuna and her people! They know you are there! Tell the others. Turn around while there is still time!

Gladia.  His face goes white.  Is this actually her?  Or is it The Marrow testing him?  He looks around to the others.  None of them seem to be hearing anything aside from their own conversations.  Dennan is in the trees, keeping watch.  Surely Archer would have contacted Dennan or Blood before him.  Or perhaps she has, and they simply decided that it was The Marrow playing tricks on them.

Could the same be happening to him?  Gladia was back in Avalon, pouring over battle plans with the General, wasn't she?  How could she know that Fenwick was taken?  This must be The Marrow testing his will.

But on the other hand, Gladia was very upset that she would not be accompanying them here.  Could she be tracking them somehow?

If Fenwick has indeed been taken by the Forsaken, they couldn't just leave him.  And considering that the Forsaken have been here for some time, it wouldn't be too surprising that they knew they were here.  Gladia wouldn't opt for retreating in such a situation, would she?

It's decided.  This is merely The Marrow trying to break him.  It means nothing.  Just the wind...

Dennan taps him on the shoulder, motioning that it is time to leave.  Sembas blinks at him a few times.  Has it been that long? 

The Falconer takes the tail once again, trying to keep vigilant on his duties.  Gladia's voice haunts him, but he pushes it from his mind.  Chico and Anlaf bicker all the while, and Sembas half heartedly tries to play mediator.

"Remember what we've been told.  This place will test us.  Keep hold of yourselves."

They make camp again.  Then continue on.

They reach a clearing, and as an enormous dire wolf hurtles towards them Sembas prepares for the worst.  It shifts into a man who eagerly embraces Blood. 

"Mama!"

This is an odd scene.  Captain Blood has tears streaming down her face as she is reunited with Vartan.  Sembas remembers Dennan telling him that when people stay shifted for too long they forget their human selves.  Perhaps this is what is happening here.  Otherwise this man seems much too old to be speaking this way. 

During the teary reunion, Sembas looks towards the mountainous man.  Gladia's voice still rings in his head, and he can't help but feel that he should tell Dennan about it.  He doesn't want to appear weak to his friend and mentor, but doubt nags at him.

The Falconer inconspicuously circles around the others until he reaches Dennan.  His golden eyes show his concern as he taps the man on his arm.

"I don't want to interrupt such a scene, but when we get a chance I would like to talk to you about something."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 11:16:46 AM by Kitharsis »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #194 on: November 22, 2013, 10:20:43 AM »
Siron is completely absorbed in Honor's story.  At the start he listens with excitement. That excitement shifts to anger upon the betrayal. At the end he has a confused look, which he can’t hide at all.

“You know, if my brothers had not killed me, all of this would not have happened. I would have been in a cell, rotting and cursing their names.  I would have been full of anger and hatred, praying for a chance to take their lives.” Siron looks Honor in the eyes. ”I would have been like you were.”  The knight is obviously having mixed feelings about all this.  He is fidgeting and doing a terrible job at attempting to look calm.  “Right now, if someone asked me, if there was an excuse to do what you did, starting a revolution, throwing a whole country into turmoil… the thousands of lives needlessly lost because of that,” the fidgeting disappears and his eyes sharpen for a few seconds. “I would not hesitate to say there are no excuses for such an act, yet it pains me to admit, that in your position I do not know what I would have done.” Siron takes a deep breath and exhales, while shifting his gaze towards the sky. “You didn’t think you would live long enough to see all the consequences of your actions, did you? Something like that would haunt me for the rest of my life, of that I am certain. No wonder your anger remained even after you exacted your revenge.”

The young man stands, stretches his limbs and lightly taps Honor on the shoulder. ”If I am good enough to learn some Combat Tactics, I will call upon you to give me a chance and test them against one of the Fierce Legion’s finest. For now we should get as much rest as possible, who knows what this place has in store for us.” With that Siron takes his leave and rests near the fire until Dennan calls upon them to continue the march.

Going deeper into to the forest, the following two days are largely uneventful. With the exception of, Honor being attacked by a vicious and blood thirsty plant. Upon their third day in the marsh, Dennan comes across a familiar scent and follows it for hours. Eventually the trail runs cold and they proceed further into the forest and come upon a clearing.

A shocking scene unfolds, moments after they enter the clearing. At first Siron is excited and draws his sword, eventually that excitement is replaced by confusion and from there he ends up speechless and a little bit disturbed.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #195 on: November 22, 2013, 01:12:28 PM »
The sudden surge of information from Lai reveals many reasons that she would feel uncomfortable sharing the information.  The Marrow was a place of inner turmoil, and perhaps now was not the best of times to conflict the group.  They needed to focus on their mission, and yet... Severan's new vessel may be an even greater threat than that which lies in this bloodstained land.  Either way, the Ageless deserved to know, and Fjorin was not one to keep secrets from his brothers and sisters in arms.

It takes nearly the entire journey for such revelations to settle.

His voice low, Fjorin whispers to his spirit friend as they reach the clearing.  "We must tell the Ageless of this.  However, I am not certain now is the time."  It was then that a man over twice Fjorin's age embraced his Ageless mother.  As they held one another, the last of the Ebonmane fixed his gaze on Vartan with some measure of suspicion.  Clearly confused, he sighs, and continues speaking to Lai.  "In this place, I cannot seem to differ reality from illusion.  The sands threaten to swallow a man whole, and even my finest blade could not stand against the blood-drinking vines of this place." Fjorin exhales, defeated.  "My wisdom avails me nothing here.  I shall trust in yours, then.  We must tell them of the mage.  When or where we do so... I leave to you."
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 01:14:05 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #196 on: November 23, 2013, 08:57:03 PM »
Sig is about to step in front of Blood to protect her from the oncoming wolf when she steps past him.

"Lass, what..."

Sig is stunned into silence by the scene that unfolds in front of him. This is now only the second time he has seen Blood in tears, and this time they were tears of joy. He was happy for her. She obviously cared a great deal about this Vartan fellow, and he was happy to see them reunited.

But what IS this Vartan fellow? He can't be an Ageless, can he? He appears to be much older than Blood, but that probably isn't true. But the way that he is acting makes him seem much younger than he should be. He certainly seems child-like. Sigurd doesn't know what to think.

After a few moments of indecision and a swig from his skin of ale, Sig decides the best thing to do is to try and figure this out directly. He approaches Blood and Vartan.

"So, lass! This is Vartan, is it? He uh... seems a little older than I was expecting... unless, um... maybe..."

Sig trails off. He was about to make a joke about Vartan aging in dog years. But is it possible that Vartan is a wolf who changes into a human, instead of the othr way around? But then what is his relationship to Blood?

Sig shrugs.

"...in any case, good too meet you, Vartan. Sigurd Glorrack, at your service."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #197 on: November 27, 2013, 11:52:50 AM »
Vartan and Blood can’t seem to bring themselves to let go of one another, but eventually, and with a degree of reluctance, they part.

Blood turns to the party, her arm still looped through Vartan’s. Her eyes linger upon Sig, and she blushes, almost guiltily. “This is my son, Vartan.” She introduces each one of you, save for the Elder Immortalis, as they already seem to know Vartan quite well.

Vartan bows respectfully. “Pleased to make your acquaintance. I apologize it’s not under more pleasant circumstances.”

Blood shakes her head disapprovingly. “You shouldn’t have left alone, Vartan. You’re not as young as you used to be. You’re getting older

“Pshaw!” Vartan scoffs. “Mother, you worry far too much. Despite the fact you admit I am getting older, you still look upon me as if I am a child. I am not a child anymore, and I haven’t been for decades. General Fury needed someone to scout this area, and you know my company and I were the best fit for this environment. We’re not Immortalis. The Forsaken can’t sense us the same way that they can sense Ageless. We were relatively successful in our task, and we gathered a great deal of information, but Askall accidentally busted the teleportation orb.”

Right on cue, there is movement in the bushes, and an enormous wolf with sleek, ebony hair emerges from the forest. As he moves towards you, his body shifts and he assume the form of an immense man, with long, black hair and glinting green eyes. You notice he is nearly as large as Dennan.

The man, presumably Askall, nods to the group in acknowledgment. “It was my fault, milady.” He bows before Blood. “We were set upon creatures of the fields. At one time they may have been bears, but whatever natural creature they were, they can claim such a name no longer. They were abominations. They scented us and sought us out for a quick meal. The orb was in my pack and one of them slammed against a tree. It destroyed the orb.” It is then you all notice his arm appears to be in a sling and his gait is irregular, as if his left leg is pained.

In the middle of the clearing, the enormous rock splits open revealing a concealed cave, and a third wolf emerges. It is more slender than its fellows and its coat is a reddish brown. As it nears the party, this wolf, too, transforms. Before you stands a beautiful, young, woman with reddish brown hair and comforting brown eyes.

Vartan gestures to the woman. “Mother, you remember Lene.”

Blood nods.

“We had no way to contact Avalon to let everyone know we were okay,” Vartan explains. “Luckily, Lene was able to find us a suitable hiding place.”

“Where is Ciar?” asks Dennan.

“Inside,” answers Lene. “Mixing poisons. I have a feeling we may need them.”

Vartan nods grimly. “I knew they’d send someone else eventually, and you arrived just in time. Our mission has become considerably more complicated.”

“What’s happened?” asks Blood.

“It would be a folly to talk of this in the open. Come.” Vartan gestures for the party to follow and the leader of the Crimson Wolves takes you through the opening of the rock and into a wide tunnel.

With a wave of her hand, Lene closes the rock opening behind you. It has become obvious she is some kind of caster, though of what nature you are not quite sure.

You follow Vartan downward and into an open chamber.

“We’re fairly certain this used to be an Ageless outpost,” explains Lene. “Dethys if I had to guess. It’s a wonder the Forsaken never stumbled upon it, but I guess he managed to keep some things secret, even from Fortuna.”

At a table in the center of the room, a thin man with black shaggy hair and a short, pointed beard, is focusing all of his attention on the glass vials and pouches that line the table. He does not raise his gaze from his task as you enter.

“Hello,” he says quietly. “Vartan. I think I’ve just about got it. This should pack enough of a punch to knock out even an Immortalis.”

“Vartan, what’s going on?” asks Blood.

Vartan sighs and seats himself upon a wooden stool in the corner of the room. “The Forsaken have taken two prisoners.”

“Who?” inquires Honor.

“One is a name you will surely recognize,” responds Vartan. He takes a deep breath. “We are quite certain it is Aeliana de Fonte Ebraldi.”

Vartan is right. It is a name you all recognize. Even if you lived under a rock (or in the case of Sig, under a mountain) rumor of this woman and her powers has reached you in one way or another. She is said to be a mortal arcanist with god-like powers, unrivaled in her ability to cultivate the use of magic to achieve incredible feats.

“Aeliana?” Blood shakes her head in disbelief. “I have a hard time believing even the Forsaken were able to get their hands on her. I met her only once, and her power over the magical arts created wonder in even Dethys Night.”

“Well, I assure you it wasn’t without a fight. In overhearing the discussions between Fortuna and her people, we learned that Aeliana had struck out on her on, with only one companion, her protector, Faustus Magnus Venator. A Forsaken susceptible to lightning lost his life in the fray, and two more were seriously injured. It took Fortuna herself to incapacitate her.”

“They’ve been holding her for about a week now… torturing her,” speaks Askall. “It took them a long time to break her. We only started to hear her screams yesterday.”

Lene nods. “She has endured bravely, but if we cannot intervene and soon, she is not long for this world. Azazel Punisher guards her, along with another Forsaken, likely a Childer, we have not encountered before. Even the Childer must be powerful in his own right, because he was charged with guarding Aeliana alone while Azazel was on assignment for Fortuna. The Punished just recently returned.”

"The man Osiris saw," mutters Blood.

“Vartan was fool enough to attempt to go after her alone,” adds Ciar. “Lene found him three hours later stuck in one of those sand pits.”

Vartan’s face reddens considerably. “I couldn’t just sit by while this poor woman was tortured.”

“Vartan,” Blood places her hand on the man’s shoulder. “I should thank that sandpit because if you had attempted her rescue alone, you easily would have gotten yourself killed.”

“We have to help her mother,” speaks Vartan.

“And we will,” promises Blood. “We cannot let Aeliana remain in the hands of the Forsaken.”

“But what about our mission? In the Marrow?” asks Honor.

“It will have to wait. General Fury would understand,” assures Blood.

“How are they holding her?” asks Dennan.

“Some kind of artifact we think,” explains Lene. “A woman of her powers would have easily escaped at this point, so we conjecture that said artifact blocks her from using her magic. Without her abilities, Aeliana, though cunning, is effectively powerless.”

“How far away is the place they’re holding her?” inquires Honor.

“That’s the other problem,” explains Vartan. “Their base is located at the top of Hangman’s Hill.”

“Of course it is,” mutters Blood. Blood plops her pack upon the ground and begins to sort through the contents until her hand closes around a map, which she extracts from her pack and places upon the ground in front of her. “Let me think on this…”

While Blood, Vartan, Honor and Lene crowd around the map, Ciar continues his work on his poisons.

Dennan, having studied a bit under Hestia, crosses to Askall and places his hands upon the man’s arm. A warm, soft light fills his hands, and he appears to be using his Wisdom to heal the mortal. After some time, you hear him say, “There. It’s about as best I can do. I’ve set the bone and it should help with the pain, but I fear my abilities aren’t as advanced as I would like them to be.”

“Thank you,” returns Askall gratefully.

“We had a gifted mage with us, but he… he disappeared shortly after our arrival,” explains Dennan.

“Perhaps they have taken him along with Aeliana,” offers Askall.

Lai glances to Fjorin. She appears conflicted, but after some contemplation, she moves to the center of the room so that all may hear her.

“No,” states Lai firmly. “I know where Fenwick is.”

Suddenly she has the attention of everyone in the room.

Lai shifts uncomfortably, perhaps reconsidering her decision to speak. “He was taken by a Carnis… to Darastae.”

Blood rises to her feet, her face a mask of confusion and anger. “And you’re just telling us about this now?! Fenwick is in Darastae and you didn’t think to mention that!”

Dennan steps forward, putting himself between Blood and Lai. “Calm down, Captain. She likely has her reasons for not telling us sooner.”

“I did not wish to distract from the task at hand, and feared you would judge me as I used to be a Carnis,” explains Lai. "I did not want to arise your suspicion of me."

The mouths of all the mortals drop open.

“You used to be a… a Carnis?” Lene shakes her head in disbelief. “How is that even…”

“Long story,” interrupts Blood. “Why was he taken?”

Lai’s expression is pained. “Severan likely believes him to be his… his son.”

Ciar falls off of his chair and lands on the floor in the heap. The table wobbles, precariously shifting the contents of the vials containing the very potent poison. Dennan reacts quicly and puts his hand upon the table to steady it.

“That… just… that doesn’t even make sense! Severan hates humans!” exclaims Blood.

Honor helps Ciar to his feet. The human smirks. “Well… maybe for a night he didn’t.”

Lene elbows her companion sharply. “Ciar!”

“Look… this is… we need to just… we need to take a moment!” Blood shouts. She returns her attention to the map, the wheels in her mind churning and turning so wildly you can practically see the smoke escaping from her ears.

Dennan sighs and pulls Sembas aside. “Well, what you have to say can’t be any worse than this. You wanted to speak with me. Let us tend to this now. What has been bothering you, Sembas? You’ve been distracted as of late.”

“Siron!” Honor calls. “Come here, lad. Help us plan our route.” Honor motions for the young knight to huddle around the map with him and the others.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #198 on: December 01, 2013, 09:53:06 AM »
“This is my son, Vartan.”… “Pleased to make your acquaintance. I apologize it’s not under more pleasant circumstances.”

Siron takes off his helm and nods at the greeting from Vartan. “That was one huge wolf! I am glad you are on our side,” he smiles and tries to lighten up the mood.

The young man listens to the rest of the conversation and follows the group into the cave. He takes note of shape shifting, mage girl. It is odd that the Ageless have someone so young on such a mission, but then again he was young himself so whatever.

The knight’s attention is immediately caught by the thin man and his vials and pouches. When he hears it is poison, the young man frowns. He has always had mixed feelings about poison as a weapon. Sneaky and cowardly, that was not a way a knight would fight, but its effectiveness could not be denied. It is a weapon he will use, even if he does so reluctantly.

Hearing of the two prisoners, Siron quickly perks up and even smiles. The abduction of Fenwick bothered him quite a bit, even though he didn’t let it show, he would not have abandoned a fellow Ageless in this place.

“We are quite certain it is Aeliana de Fonte Ebraldi.”

Apart from her being a power full mage, some even saying too powerful, Siron did not know much of this woman. The people in the room began to discuss the mage captive and he listened with frustration. His arms crossed and fingers lightly tapping on his armor. The young man’s frustration only rose as the discussion continued in the same direction, until finally Dennan mentioned Fenwick.

“We had a gifted mage with us, but he… he disappeared shortly after our arrival,”

Spreading his arms in front of himself, the knight exclaims. “Yes! Fenwick! He must be the second prisoner, what have you heard of him?”

“No, I know where Fenwick is.”

“You what?!” At this moment Siron is both perplexed and speechless, at Lei’s statement. Blood’s anger can be felt in the atmosphere, so he remains silent not wanting to aggravate the situation. The rest of what Lei has to say is filled with even more surprises. He finds it hard to comprehend, why someone would keep such important information from his allies. Keeping in mind that it is not his place neither to judge nor to doubt his comrades and that Lei has little to no experience being a human, he chooses not think too deeply on this.

“Siron! Come here, lad. Help us plan our route.”

Before Siron goes to join Honor and the rest he looks at Lei with a disappointed look. “For the concept of thrust to work, it MUST be mutual.” With this done, he moves to join the group at the map.

“So… we need to take the hill… the best way would be if we had men on the inside, someone to take out their sentries so the bulk of our forces can advance and engage them within their camp.” The knight takes a quick glance over his shoulder and then around the group at the map. “Vartan’s squad managed to get close enough to Fortuna and her men to overhear them, I think they won’t have a problem going in close enough to take out any sentries that may spot our approach. If they use the poison they’ve been making here, we should have a clear way of going in. I assume we should be able to go up the hill fast enough, so that when they sense our approach we would have already negated their height advantage” He pauses to take in some air and continues. “The real problem is what happens with the prisoners? We need an infiltration party to secure them and I think I have the perfect idea for that!” Turning around he looks at Dennan and Sambas. “Dennan can fly! If he enters through the air he can get to the prisoners in no time! In the best case we would have been enough of a threat to lure the prison guards our way. Should Punisher and the Childer remain on their post, Anlaf can go with him and assist in freeing Miss Ebraldi and the second prisoner.” Realizing he has once again spoke past his station he quiets down and become as red as a tomato, but never the less he decided to finish up. “The last thing we won’t want to happen would be any one being spirited away like Fenwick or in a similar way. If we had some magic to stop that from happening that would be great…”
« Last Edit: December 01, 2013, 01:30:51 PM by Radobe »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #199 on: December 02, 2013, 01:15:00 AM »
    Fjorin steps forward as quickly as Captain Blood rises to confront Lai, being instinctively protective of those he calls friend.  She backs down as Dennan calms her with relative success, and Fjorin relaxes in kind.  Shortly after, Sir Siron decides to chime in with words that could be considered both friendly and condescending.

Fjorin claps Lai on the back comfortingly.  "You've done right by the Ageless.  Do not concern yourself with their words."

With Fjorin's natural vantage point over the huddle surrounding the map, he began to visualize the plan in action.  Siron's plan was cautious, careful, and sound.  However, with the parties at play, he doubted things would go so smoothly. 

Siron continued, and addressed the likelihood of facing the Forsaken.  Now that everyone had gathered, it was time to reveal the information he'd acquired with General Fury's trust.

"If Lene's information is correct, the Childer immortalis will likely be Ravana Blackheart or Navar Coward.  Ravana's death wound is from a noose - hanged for being a witch.  Coward's is a puncturing wound from behind, above his left shoulder.  Ravana Blackheart is a powerful mage in her own right, and Navar Coward... though his name is fitting, cowards will do anything to survive; they can be dangerous when backed into a corner.  Azazel Punisher..." Fjorin's brow furrowed in thought.  The whole of Ageless he had met so far only wanted to protect others, and General Fury herself had shown a longing for Fortuna - one of the most dangerous of the Forsaken - to return to the Ageless.  Azazel's tale flashed in his mind.

"His death wound is from beheading... for killing his brethren, and in turn, saving the life of an innocent woman.  He is an honorable man who made a difficult choice.  If we speak with him, we may be able to bring him to Avalon."
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 04:18:48 PM by Archdemon Stu »