Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis (The Bulwark of Heaven)- OOC Thread 2  (Read 35536 times)

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
Re: The Legion Immortalis (The Bulwark of Heaven)- OOC Thread 2
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »
Lol thanks, but I don't know about talented.  We have been doing this for quite a while though so I suppose veteran is a fitting description :P

Sembas is used to sparring his mates in the militia so he's trying to feel out what sparring an Ageless is going to be like.  I imagine he's in for quite a surprise...  You've been doing a wonderful job with this battle so far, I'm sure this will be just as fun!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 03:09:22 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 10:07:40 AM »
Okay, some of you caster-types may have questions regarding use of spells in this format.

It seems appropriate to only have one spell per post. In most games, spellcasting takes time. Having a character instantaneously use two spells in the space of a sentence seems infinitely overpowered (at least at this level.) Rather than trying to cram a bunch of spells into one post, focus on one spell and describe it to the best of your abilities.

Let's take a look at a simple strength spell. For example, rather than simply saying, "________ casts a strength spell that causes his form to grow" something more fitting would be:

"________, not being very adept with use of physical prowess, knows that he must rely upon his magical abilities to guide him to victory in this match."

"The natural arcana that _______ commands surges through his form, creating a halo of faint blue light around him. His attention is firmly focused upon his target and as he draws his palms together in a gesture of concentration, he can feel his body begin to waver with the powerful magic that is coursing through his veins."

"A pulse of energy begins to emanate from ________'s form, and a faint sound, like the beating of a heart, can be heard throughout the sparring area. The pulse quickens, and as it does so, ________ begins to grow. The sinews of his muscles expand dramatically, and where there had once stood a rather unremarkable, young man of mediocre strength, stands an unstoppable juggernaut of unparalleled power."

"_________ explodes forward in a burst of motion, his large fist drawn back and ready to strike. With one devastating blow, he attempts to slam his herculean fist into the jaw of his target."

After you have formed your description, you should note in parentheses what spell you are using. For example, (Wisdom- Strength Spell) or (Intelligence- Pillar of Arcana) etc.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 11:51:07 AM »
Erp...  If that counts as too many spells in one post let me know and I'll split up the fire breath into next post. 

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »
While it isn't precisely in the same breath, can we use two spells as long as one is for attack and one is for defense? It gives a lot more options than "I dodge out of the way", since most of us lack decent dodge skills.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 03:28:35 PM »
I actually contemplated that, but decided upon one spell because, again, spells take time to cast. If you are focusing your energy upon protecting yourself (i.e. a defensive spell) then you likely won't have time to do that, and an offense-based action simultaneously.

Now if you use a skill to dodge out of the way, or are simply attempting to, for lack of better terms, "stunt a dodge," then proceed to use an offense spell, that is totally okay.

The only exceptions I can see to this rule that would make posting more than one spell okay are Haste spells or Slow-Time spells. How many actions you could feasibly perform while utilizing one of these types of spells would be at my discretion.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 03:32:50 PM »
@Kith: Having both you and Faile being able to use a spell on the same turn is perfectly admissible. Though you are bonded, she is essentially functioning as your familiar and thus would be able to act in conjunction with you. This does not violate the one spell rule. It would be the equivalent to Dennan making an attack, then Fensten making an attack.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 04:50:12 PM »
Are these homing arrows? 

-As in if Sembas runs away will they still flying towards his hindquarters?

-Or will they just hit the ground where he was if he manages to squirm away?

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 05:45:41 PM »
@Kith: Care to take your chances? ;)  That is something that only Archer knows. If I tell you anything, then she'll shoot me in the backside with arrows, and it's a bit hard to Battle Host with arrows sticking out of your ass.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2010, 05:47:48 PM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »
Faile is such a little jerk sometimes...

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2010, 02:24:52 PM »
@Kith: At this point, you may either continue to spar with Archer or gracefully end the match.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2010, 09:44:07 PM »
Just a quick heads-up for everyone. It's going to be a pretty busy week for me (I have an in-service tomorrow, then school begins again on Wednesday) so my posting may be a bit infrequent this week. During the school year, I will ATTEMPT to post once a day, or at the very least, every other day. Weekends will be a bit more productive for me because I'll have a little free time then.

During the next post, we'll wrap things up with Sembas and Archer. Faran and Jonas will be on deck, then Fenwick and Mystery Opponent(s) will be squaring off.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 03:50:32 AM »
Bring it on.  8)

Hurrah for school! Has it been 3 months already? Time really flies...
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 06:27:48 AM »
Symphony that's one helluva battle!   :o

And it all occured over the span of what, 24 hours or so. Wow!
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 11:29:19 AM »
Heh.

Outtake: Faran: "Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week. Tip the veal, try the waitress! *falls over dead*"

Anyway, yeah. Faidth and I collaborated to finish my bit over the space of a day. It just worked for both of us.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 07:52:39 PM »
Wow... That last post was kind of painful to write. Probably one of the more grotesque things I've written. At any rate, just so the rest of you know, Faran and I had a discussion about the extent of Jonas's power beforehand. Jonas is not evil or anything (as most Ageless would not approve of the use of this particular ability) but he is attempting to help his would-be apprentice gain a considerable tolerance for pain. He doubts Faran would respect someone who intentionally holds back against him.

Also note that one of Jonas's special Skills (via Charisma) is called EMPATHY. It actually allows him to feel the same pain that his brethren are experiencing. He is actually muting the effect of this spell so it doesn't leave Faran in Hestia's recovery ward for months. Hence he is actually experiencing the same pain that Faran is feeling, but without the outward effects, and it is pretty damn EXCRUCIATING.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 10:16:05 PM »
Wow, what a powerful situation.

Sembas prefers solitude and likes his time to brood. 

*Pulls hood up*

Don't look at me, gosh!

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 11:35:06 PM »
@All:

Okay, Fenwick's fate is in your hands! Nemo, you have no say in this one. :-P  We'll let your compadres decide upon who you're fighting. Here are your options. Let me know who you would like to see Fenwick fight.

1. Dethys
2. Constancy and Serenity (it's a two for one special)
3. Bran Thane
4. Corvus Virtue
5. Dennan Justice
6. and this would be a particularly difficult one... CARDACK!  :-P

Anyway! Post and tell me what you think. I had it narrowed down to two or three I thought would be awesome, but I'd rather leave this one up to you guys.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 11:53:04 PM »
Holy crap that's evil! Choose Dethys or the duo, I have milk and cookies?

Actually Cardack would be kind of cool, he wouldn't even try to fight back... theoretically. Of course that's probably going to change, heh.

It's all yours guys :P

EDIT: I'm leaving what Fenwick says to Dethys there if it's ok? He doesn't know who he's going to fight, so he's just randomly asking a question. Sides, if it's not Dethys, he'll probably do something minor querky awesome and make plants fly (at last).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 11:54:41 PM by john greymore »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 10:25:16 AM »
1. Dethys would be fun to see.

2. Cardack might be particularly difficult but also particularly interesting.

3. Dennan would also be a good one.

Listed in order.

And PS, I wasn't trying to have Sembas steal the show after Faran's match.  I was pretty shocked when you gave his reaction a whole post!

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 04:27:30 PM »
@Kith: You weren't show-stealing. You had a perfectly in-character reaction, and the NPCs were simply responding to you. It was totally admissible that Sembas would have some kind of reaction to what he saw (what mostly normal person wouldn't?) and just as likely that Blood would get all "Hellfire and Brimstone" on him. Blood certainly isn't one to pull punches. Anyway, don't worry about it. You weren't stealing anyone's thunder.