Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Shadowhaunt: The black Crusade (Part I)  (Read 37679 times)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
Shadowhaunt: The black Crusade (Part I)
« on: April 29, 2012, 12:00:52 PM »
(I decided it was time to stop waiting for Cameron to respond to me and just start it up on my own. I don't want to keep you people waiting too long.)

The ocean was calm as the vast flotilla of ships made its way towards the southern coast of the Blacklands. A land-bound invastion of this desolate and unearthly province of Nocturna was doomed to failure, for the beasts guarded their borders well, not to mention the natural hazards of the Nashyama desert separating the two greater continents of the land. Night had fallen, and the moon shone full in the sky. The werewolves below deck were being tended to by the tamers to keep their animal forms in check, but there was one figure who stood alone at the bow of the ship, watching the rising moon from under his vampire slayer's hat.

"Such a wonderful night...Almost makes me want to find a bite to drink..."

"Alucard." Came the gruff voice from behind, and the figure turned to see the old visage of Sir Walter of Gandrick approaching.

"Yes, master?" Alucard asked, bowing low as his tamer approached.

"We're nearly there. We'll reach the continent by  the time the moon is at its apex." Walter said, leaning on the bow next to his servant.

"What of the promising recruits aboard our lovely Dusk Piercer?" Alucard turned his head to gaze at the entrance to the underside of the ship.

"The monsters are being kept well by their tamers. The monks and priests have been preparing themselves, and our ship's wizard has been putting together incantations I've only ever heard of before."

"So, we're prepared."

"As best we can be." Walter sighed and hefted his hammer onto his shoulder. "You'd best get ready too. We don't know what to expect when we get there."

"I'm preparing even now." Alucard said, looking up at the moon, drinking in its malignant light.

"Good. I'll check on the status of our more promising acquisitions." Walter said, stepping below decks  to see to the others.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 12:09:42 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: Shadowhaunt: The black Crusade (Part I)
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:25:06 AM »
The Gorger clung to the ceiling with his claws, hardly having been comfortable during the voyage.  It was not his abode itself that seemed to bother him, but the selection of fine dining that he could not partake of.  At least under the vampire's rule he could eat what warriors he pleased, but now so many meals with so many different flavors danced in front of him mockingly, locked within the confines of his own mind by that damned tamer, "Alexander."  In hindsight, he regretted not killing both the tamer and the vampire.  This "Sir Walter" however... his control was more firm than the others combined, yet still not enough so to hinder The Gorger's hunger.

Suddenly, The Gorger's nose picked up the scent of a powerful being descending to the lower decks... speak of the devil.

"Ah... Walter.  Good of you join us." The Gorger hissed, twisting his neck like a vulture observing prey.  "Alexander spoke highly of you."

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 10:37:33 AM »
Rau sits calmly in his cabin, absorbed in reading a part of the Holy Scripture. A part he has read many times before. He doesn’t realize that night has befallen them until he hears a howl from a werewolf. Putting back the scripture in his personal belongings, Rau takes a deep breath, takes out his armor and begins to undress his robes.

He stretches his arms and legs a little bit, so that he feels the leather with the skin of his limbs. After making sure the armor fits him the way he wants, Rau takes his staff and straps it on his back. A few seconds pass, during which he ponders what to do and if there is something else to prepare, he touches his wrist to make sure his bracelet is there and then he takes a deep breath, frowns his eyebrows as usual, and leaves the room in order to find the person in charge of their group and find out more about their expedition into the Blacklands.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:21:19 AM by Radobe »
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:25:50 PM »
The bowl of the pipe flares briefly.  After a moment a sweet smelling cloud of smoke escapes into the cabin and circles around a lamp hanging from a rafter.  A stout, wooden cup half full of water sits on the floor.  Sun Wu is sitting cross legged in front of it, contemplating as it rocks back and forth with the boat.

The Dusk Piercer, it is called.  A fitting name.  The various creatures and people on the watercraft are staggering.  He caught only a glimpse in passing, but the Tamers' pets downstairs are quite fearsome.  Hopefully they keep them all in check. 

A smile touches the corner of his mouth.  It will be quite an interesting night, if they do not.

Another cloud of smoke escapes from his lips and circles the lamp.

The fellow that greeted him on deck was... peculiar.  But as peculiarities go, he wasn't so far away from normal as other things he's heard of, or seen for that matter.

The water in the cup spins in a little circle before settling.  Satisfied, he drinks the remainder and tucks the cup back into his pack. 

His meditation complete, Sun Wu stands and looks around him.  It is well past sunset by now.  Thinking to admire the moon's reflection on the ocean, he makes his way out of the door of his cabin and into the hall...

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:16:15 PM »
"Yes, Gorger. I've heard their praise. It doesn't make my life any easier, however. Nor will it make yours similarly." Walter said, sighing as he glanced at the Gorger hanging from the ceiling. "And stop pulling on the ceiling before the next floor up gives way. You'll not get any food that way. Just a mouthful of bark." He didn't realize that Father Rau was searching for him, but the priest would more than likely end up stumbling across him at some point.

Meanwhile, on deck, Alucard bathed in the moonlight. Shadows seemed to contort themselves, as if bowing towards their dark king, the night air swirling around his form as he drank in the blackness. Those on deck were unnerved, and soon found themselves hurrying inside. Soon all nonessential crew were inside, leaving only the helmsman and a handful of his assistants, all of whom were made of tougher stuff, on deck, watching Alucard's display of power without batting an eye. They were seasoned sea-dogs, and had seen Alucard in action more than once before. The Dusk Piercer was Walter's favorite ship. Should Sun Wu emerge on deck he'd be greeted by this unearthly sight head on, as Alucard's back faced directly towards the door to the lower decks, shadows dancing around him as he leaned on the bow.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:44:47 AM »
"Speaking of which, 'Sir' Walter," The Gorger said in a less than respectful manner, "when is my next meal?" He dropped from the ceiling, and stood over Sir Walter with his massive frame.  His twisted tongue licked the outside of his bare teeth and gums clean.  "I'm famished." What was left of his face formed a sickening grin.  However, something soon ruined his appetite.  A priest approached - one with a great deal of holy power.  The Gorger's grin disappeared.

"Nevermind," The Gorger sulked, "my appetite is ruined."  His unholy form felt a great deal of discomfort around Sir Walter as it was, and with Rau's approach, it was simply one too many holy men.  He crouched down once again, and skittered away on all fours, taking the nearest exit to the main deck, away from the Crusade's filth and toward the darkness of the outside.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 05:51:28 AM »
A few tamers moved to apprehend the Gorger before he could leave, but Walter halted them with a raised hand. "Let him go. Alucard is on deck. He'll handle anything the Gorger might attempt to do." Sir walter turned to face father Rau as he entered the beast deck. "Welcome, father Rau. Were you looking for me?"

Meanwhile, the Dusk Piercer cut through the waves like a knife, sailing smoothly through the ocean as the black land-mass ahead loomed ever larger before it. The Dusk Piercer was at the head of a flotilla of nearly one thousand ships. A truly great crusade to be held against the Blacklands. Until now, only small groups had ever been sent across the borders to fight either side, small incursions and border skirmishes. Now it was time for the First Black Crusade. And hopefully the last. As the ships approached, Ballista and catapults that were on-deck were aligned towards the surface of the island by the helmsman's assistants. And Alucard stood at the bow, a malefic figrehead to the dark crusade that was to be undertook. A monster who fought monsters of his own free will. A freak of nature, a living weapon. Precisely what the crusade represented.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:12:01 AM »
It hasn’t been 5 minutes since Rau started looking for the person in charge, when suddenly a cold chill ran down his spine. He quickly shook off the surprise caused by the unholy energy and reminded himself that regardless of what creature it belongs to, it is under the tamers control and he must bear with it.

Since he could feel the energy coming from the upper decks Rau decided it is best not to meet with a creature of darkness of that caliber, while it is in this kind of state, and heads towards the lower decks to continue his search for the expedition’s leader. As he walks down the stairs, he struggles to remember the name of the person.

He is thinking “What was it? The high priest was talking about him just the other day! How can I forget the man’s name!” he frowns his eyebrows even more than usual.

"Speaking of which, 'Sir' Walter, when is my next meal?" A voice could be heard just around the corner.

“Yes! Sir Walter! That was the name!” Said Rau, with an ecstatic voice, as he finally remembered the man’s name.

"Welcome, father Rau. Were you looking for me?" Says Sir Walter.

Hoping no one heard his small outburst, Rau quickly replies “Yes Sir Walter I was.” As he says that, Rau’s gaze is focused on some unholy contraption that is quickly making its way out of the lower deck. “It seems we have a lot of … companions joining us, here and” He remembers the sensation from a minute ago.” on the deck above. But that is not why I sought you out. I came to inform you that I have completed my preparations and, even though I have no doubt that we are ready for anything, I wanted to know what to expect of the expedition.”
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 11:38:48 PM by Radobe »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 01:44:22 PM »
Sun Wu walks along the hallway of the Dusk Piercer.  A few sailors brush past him, their faces telling of their relief to be under deck.  Climbing the stairs, Wu at first wonders if his eyes were failing him.

No, he could see clearly.  The same man who greeted him when he first board the Dusk Piercer is leaning on the bow in front of him.  The shadows dance and contort around him.  This isn't any kind of Chi that Wu knew of.  The thought threatened to tie a knot in his stomach.

The bowl of his pipe burns orange, and he continues forward.  He stops short of the bow and to the left of the eerie man, giving him ample room.  Exhaling, a cloud of smoke leaves his lips and catches in the wind, falling quickly behind.  The ocean provides no comfort, he cannot find peace in the waves as they pass.  Not with the presence of the man to his right so close by.

"It seems that the night has brought us together."  He points out into the ocean with the stem of his pipe.  "Often I have gazed upon the moon's reflection in the water before battle.  It seems your interests are similar..."  Returning the stem to his mouth, the bowl of the pipe burns orange once again as he inhales.  "If not for different purpose."

Wu exhales, and continues staring out into the ocean.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 07:18:49 PM »
"I can't describe what we may face in detail, for there are no words to describe it. All I can say is we march into the depths of hell, demons at our heels to charge those in front of us. Be prepared for bloodshed." Sir walter said, sighing. he turned and faced the many monsters in the lower decks, wandering about or sitting in rooms. "These are our allies, the darkest of creatures. With their shadows and our light, we shall form a Twilight that will break upon the enemy like a thundering storm. And though the battle be the bloodiest ever fought on these lands, we must never falter or pause for breath until the battle is done, and we lie dead or stand victorious. This may be the greatest test of your resolve yet, Father Rau. Are you certain you are ready?"

On deck, Alucard turned, facing the Monk with a grin that showed off a row of sharp, deadly fangs. "Hello, Sun Wu." Alucard replied, his face framed in shadow, but his teeth somehow gleaming in the moonlight. "I am Alucard, personal soldier of Sir Walter of Gandrick." The vampire bowed low, his long raven locks almost brushing his boots. When he stood in the same position, somehow his entire face was visible, that vicious, angular visage. "Perhaps so. The ocean is a beautiful sight, but I find my gaze driven up." Alucard turned and looked up into the sky. "The Night is young. There is still so much blood to be shed. I hope you are prepared, brother Wu. If you aren't, you may not survive to see the dawn."

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »
“I have been in many battles with those creatures, each bloodier than the other, I have seen the horrors those creature commit, the tears widows shed as I tell them of their husbands sacrifice,” Rau pauses for a moment, while he looks around the room seeing all the tamers tending to the creatures “but I have also seen those creatures bleed to death, I have seen them tremble in fear as Lumos’ light comes to cleanse their unholy existence. This battle shall be no different! Lumos be my witness, until a day comes where all this evil has been purged from our lands, I will fight to my last breath.” Rau holds his hands together and bows slightly, as if making a prayer ”If the worst comes to pass, than I will welcome Lumos' warm embrace.”
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:41:08 AM by Radobe »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 02:19:43 AM »
The Gorger told a terrible lie.  His appetite was anything but ruined, and in fact steadily growing.  He hadn't had a single meal on the way to the Dusk Piercer, and he made it known to every man on the main deck.  He shook the collar of yet another crewman, "WHAT DO YOU MEAN NO MEAT?!" he roared at a deckhand that was retreating from the ominous vampire.

"W-well Mister, uh, ghoul, sir... we have lots of meat, but it's all cooked or salted.  We've got venison, pork, fowl of all sorts, oh and we have-"

"YOU AND YOUR DEAD MEATS BE DAMNED, BOY!" With a disgruntled snarl The Gorger butchered the deckhand before him from head to toe, consumed his flesh, and threw his bones overboard for the sea to swallow whole... or at least, that's very much what he wanted to do.  Since his will was still well under the control of Sir Walter, his claws stopped just short of the young man's throat.  With a groan of disappointment, The Gorger's arms went limp at his sides as he slumped away from the terrified and confused deckhand.  In a surge of frustration, the chains around his arm unraveled and slammed against the deck - he was beginning to throw a veritable tantrum.

Finally, he calmed, having finally submitted to his grim situation, if only for a moment.  Walking past a monk and a rather brooding vampire fellow without a second thought, he gazed off into the distance in the hope of seeing civilized land - populated by sweet, sweet morsels - close by.  He looked on as he slumped over the rail, watching hopefully, like a child staring down a toy in a shop window, only day dreaming of feasting upon Gandrick and Alexander's bones.

"I'll... consume... you all..." he grumbled in his dazed and surrendered state.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »
Sun Wu returns the bow, matching in depth.  "Alucard."  He says in return.

With a tap, tap, tap ashes fall out of the pipe as its bowl is banged agains the railing.  They catch in the wind before falling into the ocean.

"I believe myself to be so, and I plan on seeing many more dawns then the next."

His eyes narrow as he hears a commotion coming from another part of the deck.  An abomination sunders past them and slumps heavily on the rail.  Are his thoughts earlier coming to life?  Had one of the tamers lost control of their quarry?  It seemed odd to allow something such as this to roam freely.  Some of the more fragile of the crew could be in quite a bit of trouble.  A moments consideration is all it takes to see that it is subdued still, yet not very happy about it. 

"Although I must admit, I rarely take company with such... things.  As interesting as they - and you - are."
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 02:50:26 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
"Make no mistake, Sun Wu. I -am- a thing. A living weapon of retribution. And a Thing I shall remain until the day I carve out and devour the heart of the one lord of the night. Until Dracula's blood is mine, I am but a weapon." Alucard said, Shadows pulsing around him as his speech grew more tense, his voice rising into a growl. When his speech was finished, he collected himself, the shadows retreating into his form as he looked past Sun Wu at the Gorger.

"The Gorger, the promising ghoul Walter procured from Sir Alexander." Alucard raised his left arm and, drawing the silver sword from his back with his right, severed it at the shoulder, providing a meaty appetizer for a ghoul. As the severed limb hit the ground, shadows began to spread out from the gaping wound in his shoulder, clothing reforming until there was yet another arm in its place, almost identical to the one on the ground. Sheathing his sword, he picked up his severed arm with his new one and tossed it at the ghoul. "Eat, Gorger. Let that whet your appetite for the feast to come. You'll find Walter allows this."

"It is good that you know such fire, father Rau. Your fervor will be the compass that points these men to battle, and the terror that strikes itself into the heart of the foe. Men such as you are the vanguard of the crusade, and you are invaluable in that respect." Walter said, placing a hand on Rau's shoulder. He looked at the beasts assembled below deck, and then turned back to Rau. "Come, let's join my servant, the monk, and the gorger on-deck." With that, he strode past Rau and began to make his way to the deck.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 05:49:45 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 01:15:57 AM »
The Gorger's fit of self pity was ever so rudely interrupted by the vampire he had passed earlier, and the sound of a sword being drawn.  His combat instincts kicking in, he quickly turned with his claws drawn, prepared to defend himself... then, the wonderful, wonderful subdued "thud" sound of meat hitting the deck.  Before he could even register what just happened, The Gorger dove after his first meal in what seemed like ages.  Only a moment passed, and the arm was nearly depleted of its tissues.  Only a moment more, and it was picked clean, and the bare bones discarded into the waters.

The idea that someone did something kind for his sake was unfathomable to The Gorger.  Was there ulterior motive?  What was his edge?  It mattered little, his belly had at least something in it, and it was because of this vampire who radiated power.  "Very well then, bloodsucker." He said with a sigh of relief as he felt his body rejuvenating its energy. "When Walter's control of me weakens... you will be the last I kill.  Alucard, was it?"

He turned to the monk nearby, without waiting for the vampire to answer.  "And what of you, Mister Wu?  I can guarantee a similar deal for say... a leg?  A hand?  No, you seem strong... yes, powerful indeed.  I'll settle for a finger or two."  He stretched his claws, and his teeth sharpened into a wolf's fangs as he greedily eyed the monk.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 01:50:19 AM by Jorumn Fargazer »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 06:00:03 AM »
That explains the presence on the upper deck; it was Sir Walter’s servant. It is hard to imagine how powerful a man one must be to leash something like that. But who or what is The Gorger? Rau doesn’t dwell much on this since the answer to that question awaits him on the deck and he hurries to get there.

Rau arrives to witness a gruesome scene. The unholy abomination, that he only caught a glimpse of, was consuming the flesh of a severed arm. At least it had the decency to not leave the bony remains on the deck and discarded them into the water instead. So this must be The Gorger.

“…I can guarantee a similar deal for say... a leg?  A hand?  No, you seem strong... yes, powerful indeed.  I'll settle for a finger or two." The Gorger was addressing the monk.

“Restrain your hunger creature!” Rau stepped fought, while putting his hand on his staff “If you are so found of deals, I will offer you the best deal. When or if Sir Walter’s control over you weakens I will personally cleanse your unholy existence and send you to the afterlife. Perhaps if you help us enough you can earn atonement for whatever atrocities you have done before you were tamed.”

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 09:23:39 AM »
Wu's features give no hint to what he is thinking during Alucard's explination of himself.  He returns with a nod.  As steady as his composure was before, his eyes go wide as Alucard shears off his own arm and tosses it to the abomination opposite them.  The Gorger takes the arm and picks it clean, much to Wu's disgustment.

"Current, where do you take me now?"  He whispers.

The Gorger then turns to him and asks for a piece of his flesh.  Displeasure clearly marks his face.  He opens his mouth to speak, but a newly arrived priest does so for him.  His arrival to the upper deck is welcome.  Wu was nearly regretting his trip to gaze at the water at this point.

"I can assure you, Father, this creature would find its own limbs missing before any of mine."  Wu's gaze is steady, his demeanor as calm as the sea.  "And yet I find no hatred for the creature.  It is only following its nature, as I am mine."  With a glance to Alucard he adds, "As we all are."

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 08:23:55 PM »
"You'll find my grip on you won't slacken any time soon, Gorger. Not while you remain so violent." Walter says, moving past Father Rau. "Stay your staff, father. I will handle this myself." The tamer strode forward across the deck, Alucard bowing low. "Welcome, my master, to the deck."

"Alucard, it is good you've fed the Gorger something. His appetite will be roaring by the time battle is here." The old man's gaze shifts, his eyes setting on the growing shoreline. On a high cliff above their landing zone, something seemed to move......

"Crewman, spyglass!" Walter called, holding out a hand behind him as a deckhand placed the request tool in his grip. As he put the device to his eye, Alucard turned as well, his gaze glowing red as he looked at the cliff looming above them.

There were figures moving about, to be sure. Figures on horseback....with no discernible heads.

"They've sent out the riders to greet us..." Alucard said, his fangs baring in the moonlight.

"So it seems..." Walter said, putting down the spyglass. "All men to stations! Tamers, ready your charges! The battle will soon commence!"

Walter's shout set the boat alight with motion and life, as well as Unlife. Tamers opened doors and cages for their troops, werewolves lurched their way to the decks, Nuckalavees were lifted up to the upper deck, Vampires and wights strode their way through the halls, mingling with soldiers and infantry as the massive barge was soon flooded with movement.  Soon the deck was brimming with men and monsters, and the lower ones as well as all prepared for combat.

"Today will be bloody. But ere the dawn rises, we will be victorious!" Walter's words carried to the entirety of the crew as if magically amplified, and a resounding shout met it back.

"Today we meet the enemy, no fear in our hearts, but rage on our swords! And here we will set the bloody score!"

Walter's words played the crowd like a drum, beating out shouts of agreement, righteous fury, and bloodlust.

The battle was soon to begin.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »
The night comes alive with activity.  The crew and passengers of the Dusk Piercer bustle to and fro, readying for their arrival.  Sun Wu, upon hearing of the imminent battle, quickly retreats down to his quarters.  He gathers his things in his pack and ties it shut. 

The leather cord holding his hair in place is removed and retied, ensuring that it won't be a burden during the battle.  He grabs the bottle of Chi infused water and stashes it in his pocket to have it handy.  The pack is slung over his shoulder, and with one last scan of the room, he walks back upstairs.

With a nod and a smile in response to Sir Walter's speech, Wu turns and looks out at the ocean.  He stares intently at it, his eyes glassing over as he does so.  Some might consider this an act of disinterest in the battle to come.  But if they know how to tell, they will feel the Chi building up inside of him.

Sun Wu is prepared.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 12:23:28 PM »
The Gorger chuckled hideously to himself after a barrage of retaliatory threats from Sun Wu and the holy man.  Though he said nothing in return, he quite enjoyed their display of passion; they were worthy prey.  One thing scratched at the back of head however:  the vampire.  What was the ulterior motive?  Why did he sever his own arm just to satiate The Gorger's appetite, if even for a moment?  On one hand, it was obviously not an issue for him to regenerate a new limb, so it was hardly a sacrifice, but... why do it all?  These thoughts cycled over and over again in his head, unable to attain an answer.

Just as The Gorger was beginning to go mad from his own thought processes, the war approached.  His cravings returned, the appetizer he was given only fueling his need for more.  He began to visibly salivate as the ship drew closer to supper.

He turned to Sir Walter of Gandrick, "Don't get cocky now, Walty." His names for Sir Walter further decayed.  "I believe I've chosen the first of my captors to die... yes, the holy man should do nicely!  Would you like to hear who I'll kill after him?" He laughed, "Oh I can't keep a secret!" He began to whisper, "Psst... it's the monk."