Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 5)  (Read 23168 times)

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 5)
« on: December 15, 2013, 02:55:17 PM »
Continued from Part 4. The last post from the previous thread is quoted below.
     She hardly cried at all before this day, least of all where it was visible to others, but she could not help the tears flowing freely. The sorrow was so deep rooted in her soul that she could barely think. Even so, a thought floated across the void that this had to be something connected with the bond that her and her companion had shared, there was no way that being so in control of her emotions normally that she should be reduced to tears overwhelmingly.

She looked into his eyes the best he could but as he spoke

”I know he was innocent. His only crime was loving you, and of that, he could not help himself” , she squeezed her eyes shut, tears leaking and her sobbing increasing. Why couldn’t she get a hold of herself? As he spoke to her comment of hurting without care, she returned her gaze to him and as he spoke of unseen bonds her lips curled into a snarl.

“Who are you to speak of unseen bonds, you have no idea what you have done!” it was all she could do to get this out and even as she spoke she tasted the salty tears that fanned across her cheeks. Crusted blood flecked from her clothing and skin as she struggled to try to gain some dignity back, and stand.
Slumping against the wall, but at least triumphant in standing somewhat she glared at him as he took a seat on a wooden stool. In the silence that followed, she could not help but dwell on the broken bond and her friend’s last words to her. Steadily her sobs and crying grew louder, and the punisher takes his head in his hands, as if to block out what was happening.  Finally, he speaks

“You must stop that, milady. Cease your tears!”

She but stared at him, almost incredulously. He had caused all of this pain, and he wanted her to stop crying? She wanted to stop crying too, gain some of her dignity back, but she could not force herself to stop. Her emotions were running away from her, as if trying to grasp smoke in the wind.
As he reached into his breast pocket and stormed across the room, Aeliana flinched, or rather, tried to flinch back from him as he thrust his face inches from hers

“You must… you must cooperate! You must tell us what you have found! Please! Save yourself! You know not what is at stake!

She tries to stop it, but a whimper escapes her throat as she tries to shrink back from the hand that reaches out. She was unsure what he was going to do, maybe take her tongue, gouge her eyes but at the feel of soft cotton on her face, tears fell faster in relief that no new pain was added. Her stomach twisted in disgust as he tried to dry her tears as if he were not the one who caused them. She could barely make out his whisper as he spoke to her.

“Her screams… Her screams are so loud here, milady. She is so close, but the injustice of her death prevents her from leaving the Marrow. I must grant her peace. She must be at peace. If you will tell me what you know, I can tell Fortuna, and she promised me she would stop her pain. She would let her be at peace.”

"Please, Lady Ebraldi... I do not wish to hurt you anymore. I do not want to kill you, but if you cannot be of use, then Fortuna will demand it. She will find some other way to get what she wants; perhaps even rip the memories from your dead body. One way or another... she will get the information she desires. The only difference is whether it will come from your lips or your corpse. She knows your power. She sees you as an asset; you are worth far more to her alive than dead."

Her mouth nearly dropped open as he continued to speak. Given something else to concentrate on she managed to stem the flow of tears, at least for now as she listened to him talk. Every minute he talked was a minute she was not dying, not in even MORE pain. As she listened, and he spoke, something came to mind, a possible way out of this maddening situation. She knew it was impossible to get into the marrow to free a spirit. Well, as far as she knew it was. She had not done much research there as she had in other areas, but maybe…

“I… Look.” She spoke quietly, near whispering herself. Tears were welling up in her eyes as she began to speak to him, her throat parched. “I cannot ever forgive you for what you have done. Despite your wish to not hurt me anymore” She coughed violently, wheezing as she caught her breath “What you have done will hurt me for a long time to come, more than anything you or your Fortuna could do to me…” She paused looking him in the eyes the best she could despite feeling like she was going to sick up. She wanted to make sure he was listening.

“But you know of my power too. Fortuna knows of my power. You know I killed one of you while being captured and possible two others” She had to pause a moment to swallow “Maybe…just maybe…. If you help me… I can help you…” She did not know what was going to happen or if she really wanted to walk this path, but the cold logic in her head said this might be the only way out now. Faustus had wanted her to live and she was going to live if she could do anything about it.

Proceed.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
Re: The Legion Immortalis: The Bulwark of Heaven (Part 5)
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 08:38:32 AM »
Yet again Siron experiences the familiar sensation of being flung through the air. He hits the ground hard and before he has a chance to stand up, Blood is already above him.

“You forget yourself, Siron Entrima…“

Honor rushes to aid the young knight and helps him to his feet. At this point Siron barely hears his words, the Childer is incredibly angry.  He wants to shout in the captain’s face: And how would your son feel? Doing nothing, while his mother faces one of the most dangerous opponents an ageless can face! Before he is a mortal, he is a warrior, a warrior with pride and duty much like yours! Siron's teeth grind silently in his mouth, his fists tightly clenched, heavy breaths and eyes wide open.   Every fiber of his body tries to hold him back, but it is Honor’s presence that calms him down. It was obvious he has spoken past his station, he had to hold his tongue, this was not the time to continue this argument and he has already said enough.

“We really need to work on your tact, Siron. I have never met someone so willing to poke a sleeping bear.”

Siron smirks lightly and whisper, “On the other hand, the bear could use some work on its temper as well.”

After settling the conversation, he stands on top of a bucket and his hand reaches for the dark object.

The knight feels movement in the water, but before he could react to what was happening, he a sharp pain shoots up from his fingers and he pulls his hand out of the water. A black snake has bitten him. He shakes his hand violently, but the serpent doesn’t let up. Suddenly, an odd feeling envelops him and all his movement seizes.

“Olgrim! There you are! ...Oh dear…”

Siron looks down and sees his legs trembling, yet he feels nothing. His eyebrows twitch slightly, an indicator showing he had just attempted to speak, but his face was already numb and unresponsive. The knight neither feels, nor notices the drool coming down from his mouth. Ciar’s promptly delivers an antidote, which seems to be doing its job and after the effects of the poison are neutralized he gets back on his feet and looks at Ciar.

“Are you telling me you actually have something stronger than this!? Even a mortal can kill an immortal with this kind of stuff!” At this point, Siron tries to move to a chair and fight off the fatigue and tension, his body accumulated from both, the poison and flying. After resting for a few moments, his expression changes from one of exhaustion to one of confusion.

“Uhm guys, something just occurred to me,” he gives everyone in the room a few seconds to direct their attention to him. “If Aeliana is mortal, how did she kill one of Fortuna's forsaken?”
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »
Fjorin sits down with Lai, places the parcel gently beside him, and waits for her to finish.  She always was a wordy one, and often impulsive in her thoughts - one flowing in before the other was even finished.  It made conversation easy; there was little pressure for Fjorin to say anything clever or extensive.  It helped his thoughts flow freely.

As she speaks, Fjorin's brows furrow with concern as Lai speaks the words, "One of you."

He pauses for a moment, trying to assemble the words in his head before he speaks.  Fjorin turns a palm upward, and unbuckles the furred gauntlet on his right arm.  The pauldron follows shortly after, falling to the ground with a clank.   What is revealed is an arm covered in countless scars.  Punctures, cuts, burns, and stitches are apparent on this single limb.

"I lost count of the men I'd slain somewhere after five hundred." He raised the arm, his eyes seemingly lost in each cut - each holding a memory.  "I was seventeen then." He clenched his fist, and as if through a window in time, he stared at his callused knuckles.  "Five hundred abysses in the lives of mothers, fathers, wives, daughters, sons, brothers, sisters, friends... five hundred, created by these hands."

He rested his arm in his lap, and looked to his friend.  "You say, 'one of you.'  Lai, you became an Ageless at the same moment I did, and whatever you may have done in the past... I know there are those in Avalon who have done the same if not worse than us both.  We have all committed evil.  We are all monsters, in whichever form we may come."

The familiar sensations of the ground shaking and the sound of armor slamming into the floor arose as Captain Blood bickered with Sir Siron.  Fjorin's chest shook briefly, letting out a small chuckle.

"...Besides, it seems even the purest of us will find themselves at the receiving end of Captain Blood's wrath." Fjorin's eyes met Lai's, and almost instantly retreated to the ground.  "You will be liked in time, Lai.  You are talkative, you are fun, you are clever, you are..." The warrior stopped short in his words as he seemed to lose track of the focus of conversation.

He sat straight up suddenly and let out a breath, as if clearing his thoughts. 

"Just... quit acting like you're not one of us."
« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 05:54:02 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:11:37 PM »
There is so much going on that Sig is having a hard time following it. So many new people and new revelations. Things are kind of fuzzy at the moment and Sig is having a hard time focusing... oh wait.

"Whups."

Sig takes a long pull on one of his ale skins and then looks around.

"Ah, much better. Now let's see what-"

Sig is startled as Blood shatters an hourglass. He watches her pluck the note out of it. Smart find. He is even more impressed when Blood reveals the hidden hatch.

"Hidden tunnels, eh? Might be nice to be back underground for a bit after gettin all this fresh air!"

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 04:42:36 PM »
@Siron:

The mortals and Ageless alike turn to look at Siron. Confusion registers on all of their faces, save for one, that of Captain Blood.

Blood’s cheeks flush crimson. “I think we’ve done more than enough talking. Now is the time for action. We need to get moving and soon. Aeliana has been in the hands of the Forsaken for far too long as it is. We cannot endanger her life any further. We must be moving.” You get the feeling she is being deliberately evasive, though you can’t fathom why.

“You know something, Mother. There’s something you’re not telling us,” speaks Vartan quietly. His eyes lock onto those of his mother.

“I know many things, Vartan.” She tears her gaze away from him, turning her back to the group and her eyes towards the hatch that will lead to the tunnels. “What I know at this moment is we need to get Aeliana as soon as we can. We’ve tarried here too long as it is.”

@Fjorin:

Lai blushes in response to Fjorin’s compliments. “You… you really think I am all of those things?” She sits in thoughtful silence for several moments. Her hand reaches towards Fjorin’s shoulder, her fingers delicately tracing the raised lines of the scars that mar his flesh.

“I will try, Fjorin, though I am still trying to learn to be anything but a Carnis. I think I’ll get there eventually, but not without your help. Thank you for being such a patient teacher.”

@Sembas:

Some time has passed, and Sembas, still conflicted by the whispers he heard in the woods, sits in silence. Dennan claps him on the shoulder. “I suppose there will be time to talk later. I have a feeling we’re going to be leaving here very soon.”

@All:

Blood paces the floor. “When we seize Aeliana we must move, and move quickly. We must not forget; we still have a mission to complete. The mage’s confinement has complicated matters considerably.” Blood turns to her son. “Our journey must lead us to the Marrow, and it is no place for mortals.” Blood reaches to her pack and sifts through its contents, her hand closing around a rolled up piece of paper. “We will take out any resistance in the area and liberate the mage and her guardian. The area will be warded to prevent things from going in, but not from going out. We will continue on our way to the Marrow while the Crimson Wolves accompany Aeliana and her guardian back to Avalon through the gates.” Blood places the paper into Lene’s hand.

“Fenwick possessed the ability to summon the Seer. It was in this way we were to be extracted from this area when the time came. Unfortunately he is gone, but this is the failsafe. Casting this spell will summon the attention of the Seer. She will open the gates for you. Take care with it because it can only be used once, and the gates will not long remain open.” 

“But Mother… How will you return without this?” questions Vartan, the worry apparent in his voice.

“When you get back to Avalon, tell them everything that has transpired here. Let General Fury know we have continued our mission. The General will find another way to get us back to Avalon.”

Vartan nods in understanding.

“Askall, are you able to keep up?” questions Blood.

Askall nods, his green eyes almost glowing in the dim light of the chamber. “Dennan’s healing has helped. I can follow, though I doubt I’d be very capable in a fight just now.”

“None of you will be fighting,” Blood’s gaze contacts each of the mortals that comprise the Crimson Wolves. “Dennan will get us to the surface. We’ll have you stationed in the chamber under Headsman’s Hill. Dennan and Fjorin will bear Aeliana and her guard down to you. As soon as they are with you,  you use that scroll and get the hell out of here.”

Blood turns to the rogue, Ciar. “Ciar, might I requisition a bit of that poison from you?”

“Certainly!” responds Ciar, grinning. “I know you Ageless types are typically reluctant to use it, but given the circumstances, it couldn’t hurt. Even if you can’t strike a blow to kill the Forsaken up there, wounding them will be enough to remove them from the battle. Maybe even take them out while the paralysis sets in.”

“No,” replies Blood firmly. “If I am to take their lives, it will be on my terms. I will not strike a foe who can’t fight back. That is the way of a coward. Even so, should I get close enough to Fortuna, I plan on using this. The other Forsaken, you may kill on sight, but Fortuna… she is the source of Severan’s power and knows all of his secrets. In the slight chance I can get close enough to strike her, I intend on taking her prisoner. We can learn much from her.”

“Now, we can wait no longer. Prepare yourselves.”

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 05:24:58 PM »
@ Aeliana:

Punisher shakes his head, his shaggy, black hair falling over his striking, blue eyes. “I care nothing for your forgiveness my lady. Her forgiveness is the only thing that matters. As for your pain, you are mistaken. If you remain here… if Fortuna gets her hands on you again… There are many fates far worse than death. These she has promised me if I fail in my task.”

Punisher does not seem surprise when you make mention of killing a Forsaken, despite your mortal form. “I know your power, milady, but Fortuna has no equal. I do not doubt she will return soon, and if you don’t give the information she desires… I pray your maker receives what is left of your shattered soul.”

There is noise in the hallway and Punisher snaps to attention.

There is a voice, a man’s voice. You have come to know it as belonging to the other Forsaken who guards your prison. You have seen him leering at you from the safety of the doorway from time to time, but you do not have the slightest idea what he is called or how he came to be here.  “Azazel! Our mistress is en route. Lord Severan has received that which he has been waiting for.”

Punisher gently places his hand upon your shoulder, his eyes staring directly into yours. His voice is scarcely a whisper. “That is a good omen for Lord Severan, but I guarantee, it will be a bad omen for all who oppose him.”

Footsteps in the hallway draw closer to the room you are being held in.

Again the Childer’s voice. “If the trap worked, that means the Ageless are in the fields. There is no sign of them thus far, and we have a considerable vantage here. The wards will keep them from entering the compound.”

Punisher raises his voice enough so his companion can hear him.  You can see reluctance, and sadness in the eyes of your guardian’s executioner. “Has the mistress given any further orders for the prisoner?”

Again, the voice of the Childer comes, closer this time, and while your swollen eyes inhibit you from seeing much of him, you catch a glimpse of his shadow in the doorway. “I told her through the orb that the prisoner is still unwilling to cooperate. Needless to say, Lady Fortuna was most displeased.”
The color drains from Punisher’s face. “Am I to complete my task then?”

The shadow in the doorway shakes its head. “No. Our mistress has asked that you wait to continue your task in the hope that Miss Ebraldi will come to her senses. And if she does not… Then the Lady Fortuna asks that she watch as you sever this woman’s soul from her body.”

All the while, Punisher has not turned to face the man in the doorway. His eyes are locked firmly on you. “Thank you. Then I will continue in my work. I will make her speak. Perhaps by the time Lady Fortuna arrives, I will have the information she has requested.” His expression is apologetic and he mouths the words, “I am sorry” to the ignorance of his companion. “Isn’t that right, you red-headed whore?” Punisher’s fist careens towards your stomach, yet at the last moment, it doesn’t quite connect. This feint is convincing enough that the man in the doorway smiles in glee before disappearing down the hallway.
The footsteps eventually disappear and you and Punisher are left alone again.

Punisher’s words are a hurried, yet hushed whisper. “Those Ageless don’t know what they’re in for. We expected General Fury would eventually send a scouting party to assess this area. It was a matter of time. When Fortuna arrives, they won’t stand a chance.”

Punisher runs a hand through his black hair. Beads of sweat dot his forehead and his hands are trembling even as they hold fast to his axe. “I wish to believe you, I truly do, but if what you say is true, then you can easily kill me as soon as I free you. I care not if I die, but I refuse to relent in my purpose. I must save Kella’s soul. She has suffered for far too long and my… my…” Punisher’s eyes fill with pain. “Our child… Fortuna tells me he is there as well… why shouldn’t he be? He was cut from the womb of his mother… of my Kella. Just a babe! Never to live as a child should! Never to be held in my arms! Instead, condemned to the Marrow for the atrocity of his demise. Why? How can a god who is good, a god such as the Divine, let such a thing happen? How? How can he allow me to spare her life only to condemn her to death and torment in the Marrow? And my son… how could a benevolent god allow the spirit of an innocent child to be tethered to the Marrow?”

Punisher’s chest heaves. “I want to help you, but you have not the power to enter the Marrow. No one does! Save for Fortuna! She made a deal with the Lord himself, him who you might call the Adversary. Yet, who is more an Adversary to me? The god who would allow me to free my wife and child, or the one who turns a blind eye to their torment?”

“I do wish to help you; your spirit is free from the sins of this world, save for your insatiable lust for knowledge, and I find that forgivable. But if I help you, I condemn the woman I love, and the son that was torn from my life, to a fate worse than death.” Punisher clasps his head with his right hand. "Even now I can hear her screams in my mind. It is all I can hear."

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 10:29:07 AM »
           She listens with rapt attention as he talks, paying attention the best she could to his body postures, his tone of voice, what he says and his facial expressions.

She was not going to fail now that she had him at least talking to her. She noted that he did not turn when talking to the other forsaken. The other would pay some day too, for what his part was in this. At the word that Fortuna was coming here, she could feel herself tensing against the restraints and she unconsciously tried to draw on her magic, causing pain and blood to flare anew.

Trap? This was new to her. She was unsure of what to think of this, having not heard anything of this until this point. Not that she would be privy to such information, but people often talked around others that they thought we be of no consequence. She met punishers gaze though, best she could through puffy eyes. She picked up the reluctance and sadness in his eyes as he asked if there were any further orders for her. She was relieved to note that he was not to kill her at this very moment. She stares blankly as punisher is told that he would be ripping her soul from her body should she not cooperate.

”I am sorry.” He spoke to her in a whisper as he responded to his companion

"Isn’t that right you red headed whore?” He snarled loudly at her, for his companion to hear and a fist was suddenly flashing towards her stomach.

She tensed, and even as she realized he didn’t actually connect, the threat of it was enough to make her jerk and let out a real yelp, as if she HAD been hit. Thoughts ran through her head. The ageless were coming here. They were being led into a trap. If only she could do something about that. There were wards here, she could have gotten rid of them had she not been chained up like a dog. Her face tightened up in frustration as he continued to speak and softened a bit at the mention of his child being stuck in the marrow as well.

“How dare you say I would turn on you after giving you my word, you were a man of honor and justice once, you know what your word had meant, you must know what my word would mean as well. I say what I mean.” She virtually snarled this at him.   

“You speak in fear” She growled quietly “You would throw the fate of your Kella and child at the feet of Fortuna? She may be powerful, but nothing is impossible. You are keeping me captive with some little hope that she will free them once this has been done, yet if she is as cruel as I hear, she may well keep them locked up just because it is her whim of the moment. Who is to say that SHE will release them, that SHE will keep her word? If you truly wish to help me as you say, free me. I can help you. We can get out of here and I can find a way to free them from Fortuna’s grasp. We can allow her to rest finally, her and your child both.” She was clinging desperately to weeds while hanging desperately over the edge of a cliff, trying to pull herself back.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 11:47:24 AM by Sepher »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 03:08:58 PM »
“Well, what you have to say can’t be any worse than this. You wanted to speak with me. Let us tend to this now. What has been bothering you, Sembas? You’ve been distracted as of late.”

Sembas looks from Dennan to the rest of the group.  Fenwick is Severan's son?  It is a striking statement. 

“That… just… that doesn’t even make sense! Severan hates humans!”

“Well… maybe for a night he didn’t.”

The Falconer recalls something Jonas mentioned about a little town frequently visited by Severan.  A town the Forsaken leader has left unmolested for as long as Jonas could recall.  Could this have a connection to Fenwick?

The whispering in his head drown out any coherent thoughts he has.  He winces and shakes his head, trying to dispel them.  Concentrating is proving difficult as his thoughts jumble about his head.

“Come, Sembas.”   Dennan gently steers him towards a table in the corner of the room.  His large friend comically nearly collapses his chair, before producing a flask of home-made honey mead.

Sembas takes a swig, following his friend.  The mead hits his tongue and begins working its magic.  He sets the flask back on the table and leans back in his chair, finally allowing himself to let go.

He thinks on Archer's warning from before.  It seems that her warning is not so much a secret anymore.  It is well known by now that Fenwick has been taken by the Forsaken.  It would also be folly to think that the Forsaken were not aware of their presence in The Marrow.

The Falconer nods in his realization.  There is nothing to be alarmed of, the only thing to worry about is his weak constitution.  His golden eyes widen when he realizes just how much time has passed while his head has been in the clouds.

Dennan claps him on the shoulder, less gentle than before.  “I suppose there will be time to talk later. I have a feeling we’re going to be leaving here very soon.”

He stammers, finding his voice once again.  "Erhem...  I, uh..."  He coughs, finding his voice raspy from unuse.

"I'm very sorry, Dennan.  It seems that The Marrow has enjoyed clouding my senses for much too long.  Have you-"  He pauses, hesitating to continue his question.  "Have you been hearing whispers?  It began with faint voices barely loud enough to catch my ears.  It crescendoed with Archer calling out frantically in warning, clear as day."  He punctuates his last sentence with a frown.  "I believe they've gone, hopefully."

"Either way, your honey mead worked wonders.  I feel like my feet haven't touched ground for some time now.  I seems to have planted them firmly once again."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 12:03:37 PM »
@Aeliana:

Punisher looks at you incredulously, as if you are the embodiment of insanity. “You are mad to think this could be so easily resolved. Of course I speak in fear! Only a fool would not fear Fortuna! I fear her more than I fear Severan himself, for everyone knows… it is Fortuna that is the true power of Darastae. Even such a powerful man as Lord Severan pales in comparison to the Lady Fortuna.”

Punisher casts a glance behind him to ensure the Childer isn’t still lurking about. “She may be cruel, but Fortuna is a woman of her word. If she says she will free my family, then I know she will. If I would release you, even if I would trust your word, you have no knowledge of the Marrow… no way to free my wife and child. With Fortuna I have surety… with you… a glimmer of a chance. To let you go, I would have to take a leap of faith that you could even help me. Again, I care not if I die; I do not fear death. But if I let you go, and Fortuna strikes me down, then I have abandoned Kella and my son to the Marrow forever. That is a risk I cannot take lightly.”

@Kitharsis:

Dennan’s expression is thoughtful and he considers your concerns in silence for several moments. Finally, he speaks, and his low, rumbling voice is just loud enough that only you can hear. “No… I cannot claim to hear these things you mention, but then again, my thoughts are not so easily affected. My WILLPOWER allows that supernatural occurrences, spells, compulsions, the like, have little effect upon me.”

“Every day we are here we draw closer to the Marrow. It is a place that will test you in both mind and body. It seems its grasp is even more far-reaching than we had previously expected, and it is already trying to claw at your conscience.”

“Your concerns are valid, but consider this: were these words truth, and Archer sincerely was worried enough to grant you a warning, I guarantee she would be before us already. She would not let you wander blindly into trouble. She would have made haste for these lands immediately without a second thought. You are far too dear to her.” He claps you on the back, offering a sympathetic half-smile of reassurance.

“Keep your wits about you, Sembas. I do not doubt these whispers will continue, and I do not doubt the Marrow will find even more intensive ways to put you to trial. You must be resilient in the face of these tests. It has long been said within the Marrow is a denizen beyond our comprehension. Whether it is innately evil or not, we are unsure. Many who have passed through these lands have claimed the feeling of being watched or influenced to do, say, or think things they never would have fathomed. Whatever it is, perhaps it has settled its eye upon you. Don’t let it in, Sembas, and most importantly, remember you are never alone here.”

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 04:13:31 AM »
Siron listens to the captain trying to dodge the subject. As he stands up, he prepares to push the subject further, but after taking a glance at Honor, he sighs and reconsiders. “If the captain had information that would aid us, I am sure she would have told us by now.” The knight moves slowly and gets next to Honor’s shoulder.  He leans in closer to his ear and whisper. “She would have told us right?”

“Now, we can wait no longer. Prepare yourselves.”

“Speaking of preparing, any heads up on what to expect from the guys Fjorin mentioned and Fortuna in particular?” The young man’s question was addressed to Honor, but anyone in the room should have been able to hear.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »
     Aeliana speaks quietly, near whisper almost as if to herself.

“Courage is not the absence of fear… but action in the face of fear…”

She shakes her head at the punisher and looks up at him from behind puffy eyes.

“I will never believe a word that that woman says. She is going to use your family as leverage to keep you under her thumb. It is the way of tyrants” Her voice was hard, though gravely from dryness. What she wouldn’t give for some water.

“So… what you are doing. You captured me and Faustes, you tortured him and killed him” Unbidden tears start to leak from the corners of her eyes. “And you did this because your family is trapped in the marrow. You take from the living to give to the dead. You hurt me more than you could ever know, you killed an innocent man – You said so yourself, all because you hope that the woman who trapped them in the marrow is going to release them? You are deluding yourself and if you continue down this path you are no better than her.” Her words cracked like a whip and the silence that followed was almost deafening

For a moment she was silent, trying to gather her thoughts. You could almost hear the tears drip to the floor. The blood had continued to dry on her dress, making it stiff and uncomfortable. She blinked and spoke to him again.

“You know, we were best friends since we were children.” She did not look down at the body now, it was too painful to do so. “I always had my studies and he had his, but we remained close even when we thought that our paths might take different turns. He protected me when I could not protect myself, always. I protected him from things that he could not touch with the blade. We grew close, as friends do, as those who save each other’s lives do. I bonded him, through my magic. We knew each other better than we knew ourselves. He fell in love with me, and unbeknownst to me, I did with him, though I would not let myself know it.” She shook quietly, grasping at the control of herself she so often wielded.

“And here, because you decided that you would follow a tyrant, an evil woman who would do terrible things to ensure your loyalty, I lost him before I truly had him. You are responsible for that, as much as you say it is your orders. You are responsible for taking love away from me, for something that might not even be granted for you.”

She took a few deep breaths to regain her composure.

“But not all is lost. Work with me. Work with the ageless. I can find a way into the marrow, perhaps they can help me. You are doing nothing but tearing lives apart for the glimmer of a promise from a woman who I would not trust in any situation, under any circumstances. Help me, help yourself, help your family. Together we can do this, I know we can. Together we can escape, we can warn the ageless and free your family.” She hated herself for saying these things to her guardian’s killer, but she needed to get out of this alive if she was going to kill Fortuna.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 01:21:25 PM »
@ All:

Vartan shrugs. “There have been various Forsaken coming and going, mostly Childer. Some we recognize by name or reputation, others we don’t.”

“Fjorin’s information should prove to be fairly useful. We’ve seen Coward and Punisher several times. Fortuna is rarely every seen without Blackheart at her skirts. She’s taken the young woman as an apprentice, so if Fortuna is there, I have no doubt Ravana will be as well,” speaks Lene.

“You’ll want to take care when within the confines of the wards,” adds Askall. “Should you be removed from the area, knocked across or otherwise, getting back in will be impossible. You’ll pretty much be stuck outside of the compound for the duration, so don’t get too close to the perimeter. Should you be cast out, those wards are extremely powerful and though you won’t die from their effects, they have the capacity to send you flying headlong into the ground. The charge is enough to render an Immortalis unconscious.”

“Take a wide berth from Navar Coward. His work with poisons rivals even mine,” explains Ciar. “He likes to stick to the shadows. He’s a slight fellow, small and seemingly inconspicuous. He doesn’t strike you as much as a threat upon looking at him, but nothing could be further from the truth. He’s stealthy… has a way of sneaking up on people. He’s apt to strike then immediately retreat. Doesn’t like to stay in hand-to-hand range. What he possesses in speed and dexterity, he lacks in physical strength. If you can close with him, he’d be easily enough overpowered. Just be careful. Rumor has it he’s got all kinds of nasty toys hidden in his armor.”

“Most importantly, you avoid Fortuna at all costs,” orders Blood. “You see her coming, you get the hell out of there as fast as you can. You’re a snack for a ravenous beast like her, and I guarantee, she’ll have no qualms with stringing you up by your innards if it pleases her.” 

Blood gestures to Dennan. “Dennan will open the earth for us… elevate us to the surface and guard the opening. Honor, Siron, and Fjorin… you’ll secure the prisoners. My guess is Punisher is probably guarding her. Get to Aeliana and her guardian. Get them freed immediately. As soon as you do, you make your way back to the opening. We get Aeliana and her guardian down to the Crimson Wolves and back to Avalon.”

Blood turns her attention to Sembas. “Sembas, you’re pretty quick. Your abilities and Anlaf may give us an advantage,” speaks Blood.

“Hey! What about me?” cries Chico.

Blood rolls her eyes. “Well, if we need any cheese dispatched, you’re our man.” She turns her attention back to Sembas. “You key on Navar Coward. He might like to slink about in the shadows, but that’s going to be harder for him to do with a bird’s eye view. Just be wary of those wards. You’ll know if you get too close. They give off an ever so slight sound… a soft crackling… If you start to hear it, then you’ve gone too far.”

“Sig, you’re strong in constitution, and I have no doubt your gifts from Alviss will be helpful here. You key on Ravana Blackheart.”

“Lai, I want you to help Dennan in keeping the opening clear. Nothing gets past you.”

Lai nods obediently.

“And be sure to-” Blood stops abruptly. She and Dennan exchange glances. “You hear it, too?”

Dennan silently nods. Blood gestures for him to make his way back to the entrance they had originally used to the bunker. Moments later, Dennan returns, but he is not alone. The mountainous son of the Archon and the General is flanked by a skeleton. A large, jagged crack is present on his skull, and as he speaks, his raspy voice demonstrates his weariness.

“Captain… I come on behalf of… Osir… Osiris… We are holding them off as best we can… trying to delay them… but he sent me to warn you… Fortuna is…”

Blood nods in understanding. “She’s arrived.”

@Aeliana:

Punisher listens to every word you say, his attention rapt. Sorrow is plainly present upon his features, and despite any hatred you may have in your heart towards your guardian's killer, you can't help but to feel the slightest bit sorry for him. He stands before you, crippled by his indecision. He appears as if he is about to reach for the cuffs that bind you, these jagged shackles that cause the blood to flow freely down your wrists. Your body feels so weak and each breath you take is agonizing.

Suddenly, the wooden walls behind you begin to vibrate wildly. Punisher’s ice blue eyes grow wide and his face pales considerably.

The words that escape his lips are the last thing you want to hear. “She’s here…”

« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 06:11:33 PM by Faidth »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2013, 03:18:29 PM »
@ All:

Osiris’s messenger quickly departs to return to his companions, and the Crimson Wolves quickly gather their belongings.

The hatch Blood uncovered leads you through a winding network of tunnels. Despite the confusing layout of the area before you, Blood seems to be able to follow the map exactly, never once having to backtrack or stop to question the path. It is not long before you find yourselves in an enormous chamber, the same that is marked to be under Headsman’s Hill on the map.

The chamber’s sparse contents are covered in layers of dirt and cobwebs. There are a few remnants of rotting chairs and there are a few old torches collecting dust in the corner. Unlike the previous chamber, this is devoid of any amount of small comfort. There are not tables, bookshelves, or anything else to indicate someone had attempted to make the area as home-like as possible. This definitely appears to have been some kind of staging area for the first assault on Headsman’s Hill so long ago. You can’t help but to wonder exactly what Dethys had done in this place to change the tide of the battle.

You follow your Ageless leaders to the center of the room while the Crimson Wolves look on in silence. You can see the worry present in the deep creases of Vartan’s ageing face. Though his eyes sparkle with excitement, there is sadness and reluctance in the turned down corners of his mouth. His worry for his mother is evident, and the same sadness can be found lurking in the shadows of Blood’s own grim expression. It is apparent she is reluctant to leave her son’s side, especially after his absence and their recent reunion.

“Remember what I told you,” reminds Blood. “As soon as you have Aeliana and her guardian in your care, you get them, and yourselves, out of this place immediately.”

Vartan nods obediently.

Ciar steps forward. “Here…” He places a small vial into Blood’s outstretched hand. “If you get close enough to Fortuna, it should do the trick. Be careful though. Even if you can knock her out, I don’t know how long it’ll be until she wakes up again.”

Blood nods in reply. “Thank you, Ciar.” Blood turns her gaze to Dennan. “Dennan… I think it’s time.”

Dennan lumbers forward and stops in the center of the room. He crouches towards the ground and places his hands in the dirt. “It’ll take me a few moments. Once it starts, be sure to keep your footing. We’ve got a long way up and it will make for a nasty fall.”

A strange, glowing, brown light, accented with flecks of green and amber emanate from Dennan’s hands and seem to feed into the earth before him, causing the area of ground you are standing on to tremble and quake in reaction to whatever it is he is willing it to do.

Vartan rushes forward, his arms wrapped firmly around Blood’s neck. “Be careful, Mother.”

Blood offers a rare, but dazzling smile for her son’s sake. “I always am.” She winks. “Go, Vartan. This journey is not meant for you. Your road leads back to Avalon. I’ll join you there soon.”

Vartan nods. He manages to let go of his mother, but with a great deal of reluctance and a heavy heart.

“Blood…” Dennan’s voice, guttural and strained brings Blood’s attention back to the task at hand.

Blood immediately becomes all business. “Alright. This thing’s going to move fast. As soon as we hit the surface, get to your positions immediately. We can’t waste a single second.” She gestures to the only mage currently in attendance. “Lene. We’re ready for you.”

You watch as Lene’s form is enveloped in a radiant, violet light. Her hands move before her in strange swirls of motion. Around all of you forms a small dome, some type of forcefield meant to protect you from the earth above.

The ground below you begins to vibrate even more violently. You can see beads of sweat erupt from Dennan’s brow as he uses his WISDOM to cause the earth to move.

“Won’t they feel the vibrations?” asks Honor.

Blood shakes her head. “We’re too far below the surface for them to take notice. They might hear us coming just before we break through, but by then it will be too late. We’ll have the advantage.”

The ground below you begins to levitate first a few inches, then a few feet off the ground.

Blood puts her hand on Dennan’s shoulder then gestures for Honor to do the same. The hands of Blood and Honor begin to pulse and glow with their own light and you quickly realize what is occurring before you. The Elder Immortalis are lending the General’s son a bit of their own power to bolster his own.

The earth under your feet explodes upward, a rapidly ascending platform that propels you towards the surface.

@Aeliana:

Your worst fears are coming to pass. With a glowing sense of doom, you begin to realize that your window of departing this place has just slammed shut. Punisher’s eyes close, and you can tell he is just as unsettled by this news as you.

Within moments, footsteps can be heard down the hall. They quickly draw nearer and you know in your heart that Fortuna, the High Sorceress of Darastae walks with a purpose, and that purpose is to see to your end.

Through your puffy eyes you can just make out her slender form in the doorway. You had known of Fortuna for some time, simply by reputation of her cruelty and power alone. Only recently had you been unfortunate enough to meet her face to face, and in that meeting, she incapacitated you with the same ease that a child would discard an unwanted ragdoll.

You had put up a valiant fight when three Forsaken, including Navar Coward, had come to capture you. All the while, your guardian had valiantly done battle with your foes, keeping them at bay as long as he could, but it was obvious his skills were outmatched. He managed to hold the stairwell of the ancient library you had been exploring, but eventually he was overtaken by Navar Coward. It was then they were able to make their way to you. One of them you managed to severely wound with Riven Earth, and a second had, at least from what you could see, been instantly killed by your Lightning Spell. How a mere mortal could have killed an Immortalis would be a point you deem worthy of consideration should you ever escape this place. Coward had managed to wound you considerably, his knife leaving a nasty gash across your forearm. His ability to hide in the shadows and move with incredible speed had allowed him to take you surprised several times. However, even he had been violently expelled backwards with the force of your Stun spell.

It was only then that Fortuna decided to join in the fray. In fact, rather than appearing angry that you had dispatched her companions, a smirk of amusement had affected the corners of her lips. Her pale skin was a stark contrast to the deep purple hue of the floor-length dress she wore. Her red hair cascaded over her shoulders and her brilliant green eyes practically glowed in the dim light.

“I thought you might be reluctant to accompany us… In fact… I rather hoped you would be.” Fortuna had spoken.

You could see the malice in her eyes and attempted to cast your Shield spell, but Fortuna was too quick for you. With a simple flick of her finger, you found yourself seized by the ankles by some spectral force and ripped upside down into the air. You attempted to wriggle around to try to right yourself, but found yourself completely unable to move, absolutely paralyzed where you dangled in the air. Fortuna walked towards you, muttering some unfamiliar words under her breath, and in her hands appeared the binds that hold you even now. You could not resist as she placed them around your wrists and there they have remained since then.

“My Lady,” Punisher bows deeply before Fortuna.

“My, my… You look much worse for the wear, Aeliana. You really should make more of an effort to take pride in your appearance. You look like a horrid mess. I wouldn’t even dishonor the death hounds by feeding your sorry form to them. I’ve a feeling they’d turn up their noses at your hideousness.” Fortuna crosses her slender arms over her chest. “I’ve grown quite weary with you. It is obvious you do not intend to cooperate.” Fortuna seizes you roughly about the throat, slamming your head against the wall and causing your vision to blur.

Fortuna’s blood-red lips curl into a sneer. “Which is why I will relish watching Punisher work. Hmph! Look at you. There were many who thought you might even be the final piece of the Archmage Trinity. Cleo, the Seer. Dethys, the Scribe. And you… they said you, with all of your vast knowledge, could be the Scholar. The last piece of the puzzle…” Fortuna laughs with derision, contempt present in her voice. “But I can see it in your eyes. Even now, the blood flows down your wrists and pools upon the ground. You are dying, and where is the Divine to intercede on your behalf? What comfort have you here in your final moments?”

Fortuna bends forward and collects something from the ground by your feet. You realize with dawning horror what she is holding. “Even your dear companion can’t offer you words of kindness now.” She places one hand on his chin while her other hand dangles his disembodied head by the hair. She begins to move the chin up and down, making it appear as if he is speaking. Her voice changes, and in her words, you hear the perfect impression of your late guardian’s voice. “Oh, Aeliana. If only you’d given them what they wanted, I would be alive, but instead, you let me suffer and die for you.” Fortuna’s own voice returns. “Some friend you are, Aeliana. Well, I suppose I can use his skull for a rather fashionable goblet. He’ll be of better use dead than he was alive.”

“So tell me… did you really care for him? Does your heart hurt to see him with another woman?” Fortuna presses her lips to Faustus’s cold, blue dead ones. “Well, does it?”

You want nothing more than to hurl all manner of insults at this woman, but you find your voice paralyzed by certainly supernatural means. She cares not to hear anything you have to say, and you guess that the only thing she will allow to escape your lips are your final screams.

You set your jaw in defiance, your eyes glaring into hers. Without warning, Fortuna holds Faustus’s head aloft and slams it into the side of your face, causing your neck to snap to the side. Your whole body aches and you are coming to terms with the truth of her words: you are dying.

“I must say, Punisher, I have been having a rather vexing day. Surely the Ageless will be here soon enough. I have Ravana, Navar, and the Childer guarding the compound and keeping an eye on the area. They will surely emerge from the woods. Osiris and his men were obviously attempting to buy them some time. We dispatched them rather quickly, save for Osiris himself and a few of his men who retreated into the earth. I feel I need some levity in my life, so her death must suffice for my entertainment.” Fortuna smiles widely. “Alright, Azazel. Make it hurt. I want to hear her scream.”

@All:
The chamber is impressively tall, but within seconds, you make contact with the earth above. Luckily, the forcefield that Lene put in place protects you all from impact with the ground above. You watch as you are propelled through earth and rock, and moments later, you explode through the surface. Dennan forces the platform to the side, leaving the gaping hole below exposed in order to prepare an easy extraction for Aeliana and her guardian.

@Aeliana:

Punisher, his axe in hand, make his way toward you. His eyes are cold and devoid of compassion. His expression is blank and uncaring. Without another word he swings his axe forward. Screams erupt from your lips and your body tenses for the agonizing pain to come. A shock reverberates through your body as you find your binds have been severed in two. The cuffs are still attached to your wrists, but you feel their power evaporate and the smallest bit of magic slowly returning to your form.

Deftly, Punisher whirls on his heels, his axe trained on a stricken Fortuna. “RUN!” His voice explodes from his lips.

Outside, you hear a loud, roaring sound and fear grips your heart as you wonder what you may encounter outside. You stumble a few steps forward as Punisher’s axe embeds into Fortuna’s side, and pins her form against the wall. The shock is present in her eyes and you can see her hands glow as she tries to muster an offensive spell. You have only moments to escape, but you feel your feet fail beneath you as you collapse to the ground. You feel strong arms scoop you into the air and you find Punisher is holding you against his chest as his form thunders forward at a breakneck speed.

Behind you, back in the chamber you were held in, there is an eruption of flame and a primal scream that carries Fortuna’s fury to your ears. Your body feels progressively weaker and you realize you are not long for this world. These are your final moments.

Punisher heads towards the front of the building. You near the doorway and he lowers his shoulder, slamming it into the door to break it apart and allow you both to make your escape. Instead of the satisfying crunch of splintering wood, there is a flash of blue light and you are both thrown violently backwards where you land hard upon the ground.

Your vision is blurry. You turn your head to the side and can see the advancing form of Fortuna.

“I knew you were weak, Azazel. Your heart is too soft. I knew her honeyed words would corrupt you with compassion,” taunts Fortuna. Fortuna steps over you, and you see she is holding Punisher’s axe in her hand. “My this is a fitting death, Azazel. The Punisher must be punished, and when I am done with you, I will see to Aeliana’s death myself. Oh... and Azazel.” She bends her head lower to whisper into Punisher’s ear.

He fights to writhe away from her but it seems as if his entire body is paralyzed and unable to move.

“I will be sure to give your regards to Kella and your poor, dear son. Their souls will be a fitting sacrifice to our cause.” Fortuna spits down upon him, her saliva adhering in a shining glob upon his cheek.

You can feel your life slipping away as your heart slows within your chest. The blood pours from the wounds upon your wrist and you begin to lose consciousness. Suddenly, a strange current begins to course through your entire body. Your form is enveloped in a brilliant, golden light. You feel your wounds close and heal, your strength renew, and your power return to your body.

In your mind, a deep voice, so brilliant and full of kindness that it causes tears to appear in the corners of your eyes. No one else appears to react to the words that follow, as if only you are able to perceive it.

“Aeliana, you have suffered much to ensure the information you hold does not fall into the wrong hands. Your sacrifice will be rewarded. You have been chosen by the Divine.”

@All:

Outside, you and the Ageless immediately spring into action. Dennan and Lai take their places around the gaping hole in the earth in preparation to dispatch any who draw too near. Honor beckons for Siron and Fjorin to follow him towards the rear of the compound where prisoners would likely be held. Blood pauses in her tracks and seems to be trying to sense something. Her eyes close for just a brief moment, and when they snap open again, you can guess she has managed to discern Fortuna's location. She heads in the opposite direction of Honor, Siron and Fjorin. She appears to be making her way towards the front entrance of the building.

"Navar!" You hear a woman's voice somewhere behind the building and moments later a beautiful young lady with raven-black and a form-fitting black dress appears before you. She is flanked by a pale figure with short dark hair and even darker eyes. There is a black hood over his head and you can correctly guess this is Navar Coward.

Sig and Sembas immediately move to intercept their marks.

Honor, Siron, and Fjorin reach the rear of the building. Honor takes a running start, slamming his shoulder into the wall. His exceptional strength opens a gaping hole through the wooden planks and the three of you find yourselves in what appears to be a torture room. There is a body upon the ground, recently relieved of its head, which has been discarded nearby.

"I think we may be too late," speaks Honor, his face pale. His eyes search the room. "That was likely Aeliana's guardian, but there is no trace of her. She must still be in the compound. We need to move!" Honor moves to rush through the door and bids you to follow him. "Quickly and quietly, let's go." He moves towards the doorway and begins to lead you down the hallway. There is a loud commotion towards the front of the building and you can hear a woman's voice jeering at someone named Azazel.

Honor stops in his tracks, his voice a whisper. "Fortuna... Take great care and do not draw too close to her, or it may spell your doom."

You enter a large room. You can still hear Fortuna taunting her victim further down the hall. In the dim light, you see that this room leads to another narrow hallway, and through there, you will likely find Fortuna in the room that follows.

As you make your way across the creaking floorboards, you notice Honor's shoulders stiffen. "Someone's here," he whispers.

Right on cue, a shadow emerges from the hallway in front of you. Before you stands the Childer Immortalis that had been stationed in this place with Azazel Punisher. In the dim light, you can just make out a set of rather familiar features, as the man who stands before you bears a striking resemblance to his younger brother.

"Hello, little brother."

Recognition dawns upon Siron's face.

Catujel.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:46:40 PM by Faidth »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2013, 12:09:42 PM »
"Navar Coward, got it."  Sembas replies to Blood.  He scratches Chico's head with his pointer finger in reassurance.

The skeleton's arrival brings with it less than fortunate news.  Fortuna has arrived, escalating the danger of the mission by a great deal.  Nevertheless, the prisoners must be rescued, and the Forsaken must be dealt with.

He follows the group as Blood leads them through the winding tunnels.  As he walks he addresses Anlaf and Chico.

"Coward sticks to the shadows, preferring to fight unseen.  We'll need all the eyes we have tracking him.  Anlaf, keep your distance from above and watch his every move.  Chico, when you get a chance hop out of my pocket and take some high ground.  I don't want you to get caught in between us if he gets too close."

Dennan manipulates the ground below them and Lene casts a shield around everyone.  Before long, the ground underneath erupts and propels everyone upwards, exploding through the surface.  The earthy platform slides to the side of the hole, and Sembas leaps off.

Anlaf immediately takes to the sky, using Sembas's arm as a springboard.  He flaps away stating disapprovingly that he, "Prefers to fly above ground rather than below."

"Navar!" a woman screams.  Sembas snaps his head to her direction, seeing a pale figure with short dark hair and darker eyes.  His black hood is covering his head.  Sembas flips his green hood over his own before knocking an arrow. 

He channels his WISDOM spell Leash Arrow into the arrow before releasing it.  The arrow is aimed to the ground next to Coward.  Upon striking the ground the Leash Arrow attempts to latch onto its target, not allowing Coward to move for more than a footfall or two's length away from it.

Meanwhile, should his Leash Arrow fail, Anlaf is keeping his keen hawk eyes focused on Coward.  He is wary of the wards.  Chico has already scurried down from his pocket and is making his way towards one of the buildings nearby. 

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 10:22:06 AM »
      She breathed slowly, each breath bringing sharp jabs of pain. She appeared to have said some words that struck home as Punisher did not respond right away. In fact, unless she missed her mark, he was struggling with indecision. She did not dare to let herself think that she might get out of this, but unbidden, hope slowly crept into the back of her head as he seemed to be reaching for the cuffs.

That small hope that she had felt shattered, however, as the wooden walls behind her began to vibrate and Punisher’s eyes went wide.

”She’s here…”

Aeliana closed her eyes and sighed gently, her hopes flooding out of her with her breath. Where there had been hope, a sense of doom grows. She knew she was not going to make it out of this alive. The only thing she could do was face it head on, and retain as much of her dignity as possible. Taking a deep breath, ignoring the jab of pain she felt shooting through her chest, she opened her eyes.

As soon as Fortuna stepped through the door, she would meet her gaze, her eyes not wavering. She wanted to show this woman she would not be completely broken, not matter what she did. Fortuna’s reputation had come to her, and she knew that her death would not come quick. This woman had powers beyond anything she had ever seen. With the way she had pushed back the woman’s companions, she had thought that maybe she had stood a chance, but she knew now that she could not stand up to her as she was.

It felt almost as if a knife were twisted inside of her when punisher bowed to Fortuna, though she had no idea why she should even feel that way.

“My, my… You look much worse for the wear, Aeliana. You really should make more of an effort to take pride in your appearance. You look like a horrid mess. I wouldn’t even dishonor the death hounds by feeding your sorry form to them. I’ve a feeling they’d turn up their noses at your hideousness. I’ve grown quite weary with you. It is obvious you do not intend to cooperate.”

Aeliana could do nothing but meet this monster’s gaze, and even that was nearly taken from her as the woman grabbed her throat and slammed her head back against the wall. Spots swam in her vision and she fought to remain conscious. Fortuna continued, not allowing her any reprieve

“Which is why I will relish watching Punisher work. Hmph! Look at you. There were many who thought you might even be the final piece of the Archmage Trinity. Cleo, the Seer. Dethys, the Scribe. And you… they said you, with all of your vast knowledge, could be the Scholar. The last piece of the puzzle…”

Confusion passed across her mind. Some people thought that? Well, no matter, even now, she was going to die. Fortuna laughed contemptuously at her.

“But I can see it in your eyes. Even now, the blood flows down your wrists and pools upon the ground. You are dying, and where is the Divine to intercede on your behalf? What comforts have you here in your final moments?”

She spoke true, even now thick lifeblood dripped to the floor. Her stomach clenched painfully as Fortuna bent down to pick up the head of her companion. She felt like she was going to throw up right there.

“Even your dear companion can’t offer you words of kindness now.”

She placed one hand on the chin of the decapitated head while her other hand dangles his disembodied head by the hair. She began to move the chin up and down, making it appear as if he is speaking. Her voice changed, and in her words, you hear the perfect impression of your late guardian’s voice.

“Oh, Aeliana. If only you’d given them what they wanted, I would be alive, but instead, you let me suffer and die for you.”

Fortuna’s own voice returned.

“Some friend you are, Aeliana. Well, I suppose I can use his skull for a rather fashionable goblet. He’ll be of better use dead than he was alive.”

Shock spread through her. There was nothing she could do, nothing she could fight and that spread hopelessness throughout her being. It was all she could do to meet Fortuna’s eyes.

“So tell me… did you really care for him? Does your heart hurt to see him with another woman?”

Fortuna pressed her lips to Faustus’s cold, blue dead ones.

“Well, does it?”

She had been mad. She had been angry, frustrated. Now, however, rage like she had never felt welled up in her chest. She wasn’t sure how she was going to do it, but she was going to kill this sick bitch. She was going to make her pay, even if she had to figure out a way back from the afterlife. Glaring into her eyes, Aeliana’s own green eyes smoldered. Though they were puffy and sore, if looks could start fires, Fortuna would have been incinerated.

Out of nowhere, a blow came from the side, the decapitated head of her guardian used as a weapon to strike at her. Her head snapped to the side painfully. Nothing could quell the fury she was feeling, but she knew something that would inevitably quench it. She was dying. It was odd; she always had thought that her death would come quick, probably in some sort of explosion or the like. It was the danger she faced, working with magic, but never did she think that she would find herself in the situation she was in now.

“I must say, Punisher, I have been having a rather vexing day. Surely the Ageless will be here soon enough. I have Ravana, Navar, and the Childer guarding the compound and keeping an eye on the area. They will surely emerge from the woods. Osiris and his men were obviously attempting to buy them some time. We dispatched them rather quickly, save for Osiris himself and a few of his men who retreated into the earth. I feel I need some levity in my life, so her death must suffice for my entertainment. Alright, Azazel. Make it hurt. I want to hear her scream.”

Her gaze drifted to punisher as he stepped toward her. She met his cold eyes bravely. Perhaps she had been wrong about him. Maybe he wasn’t the man he said he had been. That hurt more than it should. His axe starts its deadly arc, and unbidden a scream came to her lips, and she tightened her muscles expecting the sharp sting of metal cutting flesh. Where she thought she would feel the biting sharpness of the axe, she heard the ring of metal on metal, and blessedly her arms drop. Slowly she feels the beginning of her power seeping back into her as she looked up into Punisher’s eyes. The cuffs were severed from the wall…

”RUN!” He bellowed at her as he spun, slinging the sharp axe at Fortuna with wild fury. She nearly flinched as a roar from outside reached her ears and
anxiousness wracked her. She had no idea what was going on, but she needed to get out of here. With a satisfying thunk, the axe takes Fortuna in the side, pinning her to the wall and Aeliana can see the power gathering as she prepares to unleash hell upon them.

She drags her feet along, taking a few steps, but she feels her strength slipping. She had lost too much blood. If she tried healing now, she would very likely kill herself. Aeliana slumped to the ground and let out a frustrated cry but was suddenly scooped up. She realized that punisher had left Fortuna then and picked her up and was fleeing as she herself wanted to.

A scream of fury like she had never heard followed by an eruption of flame bellowed forth from the torture room that she had been held in. Aeliana felt like she should be doing something to help punisher, but she could not bring herself to do so. It was not that she did not want to aid him now, but she could not. She was growing weaker.

The corridor slipped by as Azazel ran towards the door that led to their freedom. He lowered his shoulder to break down the door, but as it connects with the wood, there is a blue flash of light and both he and Aeliana are thrown across the room violently. She can do nothing to protect herself as she skids along the floor, finally coming to a rest. Her vision slides in an out of focus, but she caught sight of Fortuna advancing on them.

“I knew you were weak, Azazel. Your heart is too soft. I knew her honeyed words would corrupt you with compassion,”

Fortuna stepped over Aeliana as if she were nothing. It was then that she saw Punisher’s axe in her hand. She was advancing on the man who, despite torturing her, despite being tortured himself by concern of his family, had given up what he felt was the surety that his family would be saved by this woman in order to break her free and here she was, weak as a day old kitten and getting weaker.

“My, this is a fitting death, Azazel. The Punisher must be punished, and when I am done with you, I will see to Aeliana’s death myself. Oh... and Azazel.”

Fortuna bent down to whisper in his ear. She barely caught the words.

“I will be sure to give your regards to Kella and your poor, dear son. Their souls will be a fitting sacrifice to our cause.”

Fortuna spit on him, leaving a glob of saliva on his cheek.  If she could have cried, she would have, but even as she lay there blood seeped out of the wounds in her wrists in droves. She started to feel lightheaded and slip into unconsciousness. She knew she would be gone in moments.

Even as the thought crossed her mind, however, she felt an odd current of power flowing through her, different than that of her magic. She felt and saw herself being enveloped in a brilliant golden light. She could feel coherency seep back into her mind as the wounds all over her body seemed to close and heal. She felt her strength returning and the power that she had been denied by Fortuna return in full. A voice spoke to her, seemingly only to her, as no one else reacted to it.

“Aeliana, you have suffered much to ensure the information you hold does not fall into the wrong hands. Your sacrifice will be rewarded. You have been chosen by the Divine.”

The rage that she had felt before, she felt it returning. Opening her eyes wide, she glared at Fortuna’s back from where she lay. She was slowly approaching Azazel with his own axe. Thoughts flickered through her head. She could easily escape now while Fortuna was preoccupied, and it was a very tempting option. However, right there in front of her, Azazel had defied Fortuna for her. He had removed the binds that held her to the wall and allowed them to make it this far.
She had no idea what she had been chosen for, or why she was still alive, but at this point it mattered not. She made her decision.

She virtually sprang to her feet, feeling better as good as she had before she had been captured. The rage was burning in her heart at this woman, though it was tempered somewhat by the fact that she had been handily defeated before. Perhaps if she were to distract Fortuna, Her and Azazel could create a diversion and get out of here. It sounded as likely to lead to death as succeed, but she would not leave him here. She had her word to keep.

Power coursing through her veins, she drew deeply on the energy surrounding her. Every fiber of her being flared with her magic as she felt it sweetly pass through her. She had had no idea how much she had missed the feeling until this moment. Focusing her rage and the great power at her disposal, she looked to Fortuna who was not quite to Punisher yet. She had to get her away from that course. She needed something that would push her away. Something with the most physical force she could muster.

With a silent snarl, small embers sparked around her hand as she began to cast Blossoms of Fire . Fortuna seemed far enough that if she placed the blast correctly, neither punisher nor she would be hit. She raised her hands into the air, the embers sparking into a blaze and finally she threw them forward, the sticky flame leaping from her hands in a small ball of liquid flame. 

As the flame neared Fortuna it expanded suddenly and violently. A deep knell, like that of a large bronze bell, echoed throughout the complex as the spell burst. As the flame expanded, it appeared if only for a second, like a flower blooming. Both the force of the white hot flame exploding and the force of the sound threatened to shatter glass and throw other objects and people around.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:14:57 PM by Sepher »

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 05:01:19 PM »
Sig had been listening when he was told how dangerous his target was, but her appearance still catches him off guard. Outright attacking a pretty lady in a black dress really isn't Sig's style. But even as he thinks this, he's already moving. Hesitating here could mean his death, and Sig knows that Ravana's appearance is more than likely meant to throw off her opponents in that very manner.

Sig brings his lute into his hands, noting Sembas springing into action to his right. He will allow Sembas to focus on Coward for now, but he still wants to keep an eye on that fight in case the lad needs his help. For now, he focuses on the femme fatale before him, strumming his lute. She isn't the only one who can be disarming.

"Ah! Hello, lass! Care for a SONG?"

Sig ends the sentence by shouting the word "Song," and the power of the All-father lashes forth from his mouth. A fist of energy should strike Ravana and knock her to the ground (Wisdom-Spiritual Magic [STRIKING BALLAD]). Even as the spell finishes, Sig is already moving forward. He shifts his lute into his left hand as his axe enters his right. He leaps (Strength-Damage [ONE-HANDED AXE]), and if Ravana hits the ground, he will attempt to bury his axe deep into her skull.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
Siron listens to the mortals’ information on the Forsaken. Their addition is useful and he also takes note of Blood’s warning and orders.  The appearance of the skeleton afterwards, bears a grim significance.  With Fortuna closing in the chances of success decrease dramatically, but none the less they must attempt to rescue the prisoners.

As the captain leads them through the underground passage, the young knight finds it odd that Blood never looks at the map or questions the path, it almost seems like she has been here before. Perhaps this will be something he would ask of later.

All of the immortals gather in the centre of the room under Headsman’s Hill. The crimson wolfs stand and watch, as their allies prepare to depart.

“It’ll take me a few moments. Once it starts, be sure to keep your footing. We’ve got a long way up and it will make for a nasty fall.”

Siron nods and crouches slightly, this lowers his center of gravity and gives him a better balance. The shield Lene casts on them startles him a bit. Embarrassed he quickly gets back into his stance. The moment the earth starts to shake and rise, the knight’s eyes fill with excitement yet again. He looks at Blood’s and Honor’s strange auras, bolstering the abilities of their beast like friend, with curiosity. Before he has a chance to observe any further, however, the platform propels itself upward and delivers everyone to the surface promptly.

As Dennan pushes away the platform they came on, Siron quickly jumps off and lands on one knee. He scrambles back up and takes a quick look around. Seeing Honors gesture to follow, he rushes towards him. Fjorin joins them and they make their way to the back of the building where the lieutenant of the fierce legion makes an improvised entrance through the wooden wall.

The three man team emerges in what seems to be a torture room. In there they find a decapitated body, Aeliana’s guardian most likely.

"I think we may be too late. That was likely Aeliana's guardian, but there is no trace of her. She must still be in the compound. We need to move! Quickly and quietly, let's go."

Honor seems to think the same of the body they found and the trio continues down the hall in search of the missing sorceress. Voices can be heard coming from the front of the building and Siron follows the lieutenant, while trying to keep the noise he makes to a minimum.
"Fortuna... Take great care and do not draw too close to her, or it may spell your doom."
Visibly tensed, Siron continues to follow Honor’s lead, as they creep closer and closer to Fortuna. A hallway away from the room she resides, their advance stops abruptly.

"Someone's here,"  Honor’s words make him stiffen, as he strains his vision and hearing to determine where the enemy is.

"Hello, little brother."

A familiar voice reaches the young knights ears and he hardly believes. The dim light scarcely illuminates his futures, but Siron knows them well and he could not be mistaken. This was his brother Catujel.

“Bro…,” the young man’s voice slightly trembles, but he takes a moment to steady and quiet it down. “You…,” tears begin to drop from the knights eyes, they drip down his helmet and on to his breastplate. His head lowered, he continues slowly.  “I doubted Gustav and what he said, I hoped he lied,” sadness could clearly be heard in his voice, even though it was quiet and steady. “But you are here, here with the Forsaken no less!” The knights steadies his rapid breathing, reaffirms the loosening grip on his shield, clenches the handle of his mace even more  and rises his head up. “Stand aside Catujel! Get in our way and I will strike you down myself!”

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2014, 06:41:53 PM »
Fjorin's voice thunders from behind Siron.  "We've a task at hand.  Worry not, you may speak in Avalon..." His brows lowered and his blue eyes became cold.  "...I shall leave his head intact."

The black mane of the warrior flowed behind him as he stormed forward with his blade cocked backward.  As he approached his target, he slammed his foot to the ground, and unleashed a mighty swing which took full advantage of his monstrous reach, the torchlight of the building flickering as his blade stirred the air.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:22:15 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »
@Aeliana:

Aeliana is suddenly reinvigorated by the intervention of the Divine and a visible shudder runs down Fortuna’s spine. Her head snaps upward so that she may focus her wicked glare towards the once-mortal mage. Aeliana’s Blossoms of Fire catches her unaware, and the fiery bloom seems to engulf the entirety of Fortuna’s unsuspecting form.

With Fortuna’s focus broken, Punisher is able to recover his faculties. His movements are somewhat sluggish as he attempts to recover from his recent paralysis. When the Blossoms explode, Punisher’s axe is knocked from Fortuna’s grasp. It flies through the air where it lands with a heavy thud, inches from Punisher’s outstretched hand. His fingers clasp the handle of the weapon and he draws himself to his feet.

The flame dissipates from where Fortuna stood, yet where there should be a battered mage, there is no clue to account for her whereabouts. Punisher’s eyes glance around the room wildly, trying to decipher where the Sorceress of Darastae has disappeared to.

Aeliana feels compelled to turn around, sensing something behind her. When she does, she finds herself face to face with a very furious Fortuna. Fortuna’s mouth opens in a high-pitched scream, and her bone-chilling cry is accompanied by a burst of flame, absorbed from Aeliana’s own Blossoms of Fire.

Punisher closes the distance with astonishing speed and before the flames have the chance to damage Aeliana, Aeliana finds herself shielded by the immense blade of Punisher’s axe.

@Sembas:

Sembas looses his arrow and the projectile hurtles towards Navar Coward. Coward’s golden eyes narrow beneath his black hood and Sembas’s keen gaze notes a strange shimmering around the man’s form before he seemingly disappears into thin air. There is no trace of him anywhere, but Anlaf’s screech alerts Sembas of impending danger.

Unbeknown to Sembas, Coward has inexplicably appeared just behind the falconer. Sembas feels a rush of air against his back as one of Coward’s daggers is thrust towards him. Navar’s strike is aimed directly towards Sembas’s spine, and will likely connect if he fails to respond to the attack.

@Sig:

It is obvious that Ravana is unfamiliar with Sig’s unique method of melodic attacks as her eyebrow raises in confusion at his offer of a song. Her eyes widen in surprise as she is sent flying backwards by Sig’s Striking Ballad. She lands heavily upon the ground and attempts to quickly regain her composure as the Chosen of Alviss sets upon her with his axe.

Violet light envelops her form, and as Sig’s axe connects with her skull, the mage seems to be entirely shielded from harm. Rather than the axe being buried into her skull, the blow is immediately reflected back in the direction it came from. Sig is forced to contend with a powerful strike from his own weapon.
Ravana uses this opportunity to scramble to her feet and quickly retreats from melee range with the Chosen of Alviss.

@Siron and Fjorin:

While Siron struggles with the sudden reappearance of his brother, Fjorin moves to take matters into his own hands. He quickly closes the distance between himself and Catujel. He swings his two-handed sword forward, and Catujel raises his longsword in an attempt to parry the blow. However, as Fjorin’s sword impacts Catujel’s blade, the latter’s eyes widen. Fjorin’s blade flashes, and the boon of the Blood-Warden General takes effect, overpowering Catujel’s parry and knocking the second son of the house of Entrima back several feet. Catujel staggers in an attempt to regain his footing.

Rather than attempting to attack Fjorin in return, Catujel holds his blade flat in his outstretched hands as a sign of submission.

“Siron! Call off your companion!” cries Catujel. “I do not wish to harm you, brother!” You can sense sincerity in his voice, and it seems he is being genuine. “I cannot let you pass, but not to aid Fortuna! I know her power, and if you incur her wrath, she will kill you! Get out of here while you can, Siron! Please! You have to believe me! I knew nothing of Gustav’s plan until it was too late! Once he killed you, he set upon me! That is how I came to be here in the first place! Yes, I sought out the Forsaken, but they promised to help me take my revenge on Gustav! They pledged to help me retake our kingdom! I will not let Gustav make a mockery of our father's legacy! He calls himself king! He sits upon a throne that is bathed in the blood of our father!" Catujel shakes his head in disgust. "Please, brother!” His words catch in his throat and his lip quivers with emotion. “Get out while you can!”

Honor looks to Siron. “I wish I could help you in making this decision, but it is yours and yours alone to make. He is your brother, Siron. If you wish him dead, then I will help you to end him here and now, but consider his words. If he is being truthful, then his only crime is giving in to his own desire for revenge. However, you, too, once had such heaviness in your heart. You were able to relinquish your need for vengeance, perhaps your brother is, too.”

« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 12:58:12 PM by Faidth »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 02:13:21 PM »
         Fortuna turns to glare at her as Aeliana casts,  but Aeliana scores a direct hit with her fire blossom, sending punisher’s axe flying. She dares not get her hopes up, Fortuna could not be defeated so easily, but perhaps this would slow her down. As the flame clears, Fortuna is nowhere to be seen. Her eyes narrow as she surveys the scene. Fortuna disappeared after direct hit, Punisher gazing around worriedly for their quarry. He looked a little worse for wear, but was moving.

She spun at feeling there was something behind her, and her instincts proved correct. She suddenly finds herself face to face with Fortuna. Her eyes widened a fraction as Fortuna screamed in a high pitched screech that was accompanied by the flame that Aeliana had thrown at her. She did not have time to weave a shield, the only thing she could do was try to dodge.

Before she could throw herself to the side, punisher was in front of her, having reclaimed his axe. He threw it up in front of them to deflect the flames. She needed to get them out of here, they could not last in a toe to toe fight with Fortuna. Maybe with Fortuna a bit distracted by Punisher and casting her own spell, she could land one of her own to buy them some time.

Behind punisher, the view of her hidden by his frame, she puts her hands inches apart from one another. Red and gold energy started to spark and crackle between her hands as she concentrated and then in one swift motion with a loud crack, she ripped her hands apart, flinging the energy outward. Two bolts of energy curved around punisher to collide with Fortuna in a roar and a punch of physical force as Aeliana unleashes Intelligence[Spell] – Stun