Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Legion Immortalis (The Bulwark of Heaven)- OOC Thread 2  (Read 35533 times)

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
Re: The Legion Immortalis (The Bulwark of Heaven)- OOC Thread 2
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 05:12:21 PM »
I keep laughing at the fallout from that fight. I love you guys.

I've kept saying to Faidth that a fight with Dethys would be funny. But to be fair it's probably more appropriate (in the interest of fairness) for Fenwick to fight someone younger, so I'm going to say either Dennan or Corvus, whoever's younger.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 07:38:55 PM »
They're the same age... They're twins, remember?   :-P    Albeit, not the identical type. Bran is the youngest of the brothers, though he is still a mortal.

As soon as Rethagos votes, we'll get started with Fenwick's sparring event. I'd like to get that started tomorrow, so if for some reason he doesn't vote by tomorrow, I'll go with the votes we have.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:40:52 PM by Faidth »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 11:59:17 PM »
Lol. Well they didn't come out at the same time. One of them has to be older.

Then again their mother is Ageless. Who knows with these people, they could have come out at the same time.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2010, 04:50:21 PM »
-_-    Damn it, Faran! Keep your hands out of my cookie jar and stop inadvertently stumbling upon plot hooks!

What's ironic is that they actually DID come out at the same time. That was written into their backstory when I initially formulated them as characters (several months before this BB began and I thought I might use the concept for a different RPG.) Don't you remember Dethys mentioning how they were exceptionally unusual and one should inquire after the story after their births?

In fact, here are the original notes that I typed up a few months ago regarding this situation:

When Fury went into labor, Hestia and Dethys were called to tend to her while Raven stood by her side. The first child was born breach, and as Hestia began to carefully pull him out, she found that the crying baby had his arms firmly wrapped around a second child, thus neither of the twins was really born first, but rather at the same time. (This is something the twins continue to argue about in jest.)

As Dennan is VERY protective of his brother, it was to be implied that he was the one that emerged with his arms wrapped around Corvus.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 07:10:01 PM by Faidth »

Offline Faran Beshral

• Scout Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2010, 02:40:55 AM »
Ugh... I keep coming up against co-incidences. Okay. I'll vote for Corvus, because alphabetically he comes before Dennan.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2010, 11:00:51 AM »
It doesn't matter for my character, with who will he fight. He seeks for a worthy challenge only.
But...
With who can I fight?

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2010, 12:18:52 PM »
Lol, you misunderstand, hey were asking for your vote on who Fenwick will fight. I.E. not your character, but mine.
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Depheir Kogthar

• Scout
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2010, 02:31:27 PM »
Okay, i understand now.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2010, 11:37:59 AM »
Alright, Nemo. Looks like you will be facing Dennan as he appeared on both sets of votes and Faran decided to show you some compassion by asking that you be put against a younger Ageless. Since you had no say in who you would be facing, I will at least let you pick the difficulty from 1-10.

1 being- He goes easy on you, roughs you up a bit, you walk away with a few scratches

10 being- That bloody smear on the ground USED to be Fenwick.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2010, 12:38:27 PM »
I invoke my innate immunity to death (both because Fenwick's Ageless and because he can't die this early yet) to call a difficulty of 7!

Not 10. Because it's my first real game and first real campaign battle thingy. Heh.

Let's see what Fenwick can do with almost no offensive spells at all :D
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #50 on: September 04, 2010, 10:57:34 PM »
Question: are we allowed to link moves? I was initially planning to get Fenwick to cast HEIGHTENED INSTINCTS after jumping back, but I wasn't sure if that was allowed. My argument is that this would be cast in anticipation to Dennan's counterattack, plus the hurt to the privates AND the elbow would allow enough time to do so. Plus it would be casting the spell on his second turn, technically... since Dennan would be moving and all.

Of course a possible price to pay would be giving up the turns after that... and if he's wrong, then he hurts for the number of turns given up. How's that sound?

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:44 PM »
You cannot cast any other spells until Dennan's attack is resolved. You already cast a spell, and took a physical action. One spell per post. Period.

Think of this as being turn-based. You just took your turn, now it's the opponent's turn. You can't take a second action until that person's attack is resolved. You're already getting a little bit of wiggle room in allowing you to cast AND physically attack, as casting takes TIME, hence the one spell rule. However, I'm hand-waving it because it's just a buff.

As for your justification, you are assuming WAY too much. You assume that Dennan is going to counterattack you and seem to be planning a bit far ahead. Though I enjoyed the description as to what your plan of action was, you need to be careful not to assume too much. You've already mentioned the next three things you intend upon doing, and haven't even hit the guy yet.

Try to focus on a single action, as it is never assured that your attacks will land.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #52 on: September 04, 2010, 11:42:01 PM »
Oh, alright. Does that mean I have to edit?

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #53 on: September 05, 2010, 09:26:06 AM »
No. You may leave it as is. However, I was looking over your character sheet and noticed something that was a bit amiss. You chose Dexterity as one of your primary attributes, but you never expounded upon it.

Fighting Styles- If you chose DEXTERITY as a main attribute, you may choose THREE martial arts styles or ranged weapons for your use. You may consider a mix of both martial arts and ranged combat if it suits you.

You have to choose your martial arts styles or ranged weapons ASAP. If you don't have weapon/fighting proficiencies, your physical attacks will never do anything. You'll basically just be flailing at your opponent. Please post your three proficiencies as a reply in your character creation post.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #54 on: September 05, 2010, 09:41:14 AM »
Oh crap, sorry I totally missed that part out during creation. Will do so! From what do I choose from though? Or do I make up my own styles?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:45:06 AM by john greymore »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: September 05, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »
If you choose ranged weapons, that includes items such as bows, crossbows, slings, etc. (No guns, they don't exist yet.)

As far as fighting styles, you can either use an exact pre-existing style of martial arts, or create your own based upon a pre-existing style with a name of your choosing. You should reference what the strong points of that style are. For example, specify if your MA style is heavy in punching moves, kicking moves, grappling moves, etc. These will make specific attacks much more effective.

Let's say you're using something based upon Hapkido. Hapkido is heavy in close-combat moves such as joint locks and throws. You can only have one style active at a time. Thus, you cannot take an action that involves Hapkido and another one that involves kung-fu in the same turn.

Be realistic with your descriptions. Don't create some crazy form of mystic kung-fu that allows you to explode someone's heart in their chest. A fighting style is not a license for new spells/abilities.

If you specifically train in those styles (and there are a few people in Avalon who could aid you in that pursuit,) you may have the opportunity to learn new abilities to supplement that skill. These are called Style Tactics. They cannot be taken at character creation, but can be learned through the course of the game.

Melee fighters have a comparable tree that they can learn. It is called Combat Tactics and allows for more powerful Strength-based weapon attacks. Shapeshifters can eventually pick up Form Tactics which grant them additional bonuses when they are in specific forms.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #56 on: September 05, 2010, 01:31:22 PM »
Righto! Thanks. I'll do it tomorrow though, it's 1.31 AM and I really need to sleep.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: September 05, 2010, 03:23:45 PM »
@Nemo:

"With Dennan on the ground, Fenwick quickly speaks the correct words. The end result was that he had a sensation of being split into two as a copy of himself stood right beside him to the left. (Wisdom--Spiritual magic: ILLUSIONARY DAZE)"

You made some assumptions again. When you posted, I never mentioned that Dennan would actually impact with the ground. You also assume that you effectively rolled out of the way. You probably should have focused more on how you were going to dodge any would-be attack as opposed to assuming that it worked.

Remember, the better the description of your dodge/defense, the less likely you are to get smeared. You're an awesome writer and a mundane "rolling, rolling, rolling" out of the way probably won't succeed against a target like this.

I'll give you an opportunity to modify your post. I know that this is a bit of a learning experience for a few of you, so be patient and don't try to rush the battle too much. Focus on one action, find out if it succeeds, then move on from there. Don't count your crabs before they're in the pot.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #58 on: September 05, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Arrrgh, sorry. I'll work on that.

EDIT: Edited.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 11:12:03 PM by john greymore »

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2010, 12:04:35 PM »
In case you were curious, after the sparring is complete, I will be updating our Battle Related Topics with a new Attribute guide that allows you to see some of the advanced skills that the NPCs are using. These are all things you will have the opportunity to train in, should you desire to do so. I would HIGHLY suggest that some of you look into things like Spell Immunity and Willpower.