Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Calling: Beginnings (Part 1)  (Read 22516 times)

Offline Faidth

• Captain
Re: The Calling: Beginnings (Part 1)
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2013, 12:11:32 PM »
   As Ragnar chatters away at the tribesman, Afanen focuses her attention upon the vial in her hands. The strange warmth of the contents is peculiar to say the least. She reaches into her pack and extracts a small scrap of cloth from the generous lining of the bag. Next, she reaches for the waterskin Jin had provided not so long ago. She pours a minute bit of the liquid upon the cloth, and lets it absorb. Next, she opens the vial, places the cloth over the top and examines it thoroughly. Water is the bane of fire, so if any of the contents are still active, the water should render them inert. Furthermore, water, dampness helps to bring out scents. Think of the woods after a rainy day, every scent that abounds is amplified by water. The cloth will ensure that Afanen does not accidentally inhale any of the ash, such a foreign substance could be dangerous.

She knows that animals are more sensitive to aberrations in the natural world than anything else.  They are far more perceptive than humans, and it is due to this, she closes her eyes, summoning the heightened senses offered by her bear soul. Suddenly, her nostrils flare as all the smells of the natural world drift to her nose. She presses her nose against the damp cloth that covers the vial, hoping the water will amplify the smell of the ash, allowing her to track it further than the ashy copse of trees.

“Raggi…” She summons her companion.

Ragnar glances back to her, knowing her desire at once. He closes his eyes and call upon his incredible sense of hearing. He hears every conversation occurring in the area, and his gaze falls upon Jin, and the strange buzzing sound that seems to emanate from him as he meditates.

“You must excuse me, Dete,” speaks Ragnar as he takes his leave of the tribesman. “My companion needs me.”

Ragnar, using his sense of hearing,  and Afanen, using  the exceedingly developed sense of smell that their bear souls offer, prepare to follow the ash and their perceptions to whatever further evidence can be offered in this area.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2013, 12:05:07 PM »
Dete nods in agreement with Ragnar. “We all have needs and desires. It is what we are willing to do to achieve them, that I believe truly sets us apart from one another.  As for the tavern...”

"Of course he will be joining us!  I owe him a pint and a good meal.  Actually, I owe all of you!"

Dete has not met many people like Mitoli and Ragnar. Usually, people are far more reserved and cautious around the tribesman. He saw no point in trying to get out of it and accepts the offer. Best get it over with and be on his way, a far easier way than making up a reason to deny the invitation. It was also better to spend the evening in town tonight. With all that occurred, who knows what might happen in the outskirts.

“You must excuse me, Dete, my companion needs me.”

The hunter looks in the same direction when the broad shouldered man takes a quick glance towards Afanen. He notices the vile of ash in her hands and when Ragnar takes a step away to leave, Dete grabs him by the hand and pulls him in close enough to whisper to him. “Be very careful of what you do with that.” His voice is rough and alertness can be felt in it. “I looked through the point of origin and I felt someone's gaze upon me... no, not someone's, something's gaze.” The hunter lets go of the man's arm and starts stepping away. “If you feel it too, throw it away!” He turns his back and leaves Ragnar on his own. The tribesman does not want to feel the ominous feeling again and for now he will keep his distance from this unnatural ash.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #42 on: November 19, 2013, 06:28:54 PM »
Observing as the soldiers' health improves, Jin hops up and practically skips back to the wagons, the gold from his eyes fading as he exacts control once more.  It seems the wonderful sight of recovery on their part has rejuvenated him, and the meditation has steadied his question-filled mind.  It's at this time he notices that a man holding a crossbow - about as covered in soot as the monk is - entering the second wagon, appearing defeated, saddened, and exhausted.  Jin feels no pity, only joy, knowing he can help yet another wounded person, and perhaps gain a little insight on what's been going on.  While he sat among the soldiers, he overheard something about a beast, a little about an inn, but nothing else.

As the soot-covered man entered the wagon, Jin quickly popped in from the opposite side, his pearly teeth and the whites of his eyes practically glowing in contrast to the ash on his face.  "Whoa!  By the looks of you, you must have taken on a dozen of those wolves!  Our caravan leader uses a weapon like yours, but I have to admit, I think I'd hurt myself just trying to load it!  Sorry, I'm not from here, what is it called?" Before Emery could respond, the excited teenager quickly pummeled him with more questions. "Is this the first you've seen of these wolves?  Does this kind of thing happen often around here?  What's your name?  I'm Jin!" He paused briefly to sneeze, the sudden jerk motion causing dust to cascade off him. 

"Do you have a cloth I can borrow?"
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:24:39 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2013, 02:49:52 PM »
The ash begins to cool as the strip of cloth is placed over the vial.  Afanen breathes in the smell of the ash, and gets a sense of it.  The substance that was burned to create the ashes is no more, but a few faint smells linger.  The smell of an animal touches her nose, she is almost certain it is a wolf.  This in itself isn't surprising, given recent events.

There is also the smell of a man.  It is faint, being overwhelmed by the smell of spent fire and wolves, but it is still present.  As she tracks the unique mix of smells to their source, she finds the ash pile as the largest concentration of them.  The smell circles the area, cutting across the road and through the woods.  The battlefield is littered with it.  Each fiery wolf carried the same mix of ashes, the same smell.  It is nearly impossible to tell where one trail begins and one ends.  A very faint trail leads up the hill where Dete was camping, but it stops abruptly.

Afanen begins to feel that someone is watching her.  As the vial finally loses the last of its warmth the feeling fades.

Ragnar strains his ears to hear anything out of the ordinary.  The soldiers' chatter hums along around Jin's buzzing.  Mitoli rambles on behind him, talking with the poor spirited Emery.  He catches Alec and Kate's conversation as they discuss how to split the platoon most effectively to protect the wagons.

Off in the distance a couple squirrels bicker as they chase each other around the branches of a tree.  The sound of a running stream babbles from the other direction.

What is left of the pile of ash is still, with no sound coming from it at all.  It would seem that the immediate area is clear.

----

Emery is clearly in sour spirits.  After a brief conversation with Mitoli he gets situated in the second wagon.  As Jin pops into the wagon the innkeep merely stares at him.  The young monk asks an avalanche of questions, followed by a sneeze that sends a puff of ash falling around him.

Emery raises a skeptical eyebrow at the young man.  He gingerly digs a handkerchief out of his pocket and shakes the dust off of it.

"Here."  He says as he hands it to Jin.  There is something about the young monk that is disarming, and Emery doesn't mind his company.

His broken crossbow is leaning against a crate beside him.  He looks at it wearily.

"I didn't fight no wolves."  He picks a stray piece of grass that was stuck inside his sleeve.  A clump of dirt rolls out with it.  "I was running after Alec and his soldiers.  My foot caught a rock and I fell." 

He curses under his breath and shakes his head before continuing.  "Twisted my damn ankle and broke my crossbow."  Remembering Jins question he adds, "That's what it's called.  A crossbow."  He points to the broken weapon with his thumb.

"What's somebody like you running around with a trade caravan anyway?  You didn't fight those things, did you?"
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 03:01:52 PM by Kitharsis »

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2013, 05:57:53 PM »
    Jin uses both hands to thoroughly drag the handkerchief across his face, blackening the cloth in entirety.  "Whewf!  That's better." The young monk shakes it off the outside of the wagon, in a hardly successful attempt to dust it off before handing it back.

Jin lets out a light chuckle as he considers Emery's question, reflecting on when Mitoli found him.  "Well, I suppose I felt the need to see the world in order to grow - to learn more of the oneness that encompasses us all.  And, for some time, I felt that being on my own would be the best way to go about it, but..." The monk shrugged, and his cheeks perked. "Just as you stumbled, so did I.  Mitoli showed me that it is good to have close friends around for those times where an obstacle - even small ones - catches us unaware."

Another puff of dust came as Jin tore the sleeve from his uninjured arm.  "Show me your ankle." Should Emery provide his foot, Jin would wrap it in an improvised knot in the guise of foreigner miracle medicine, knowing his new friend's foot should be fully recovered by the time they arrive.

Having just remembered the last part of the man's question, Jin seemed unusually thoughtful considering its simplicity.  "Well, about fighting those things... heh, I suppose I did!" He laughed.  "Strangely enough, when I use my martial arts, I rarely think of it as 'fighting.'  When the wolves came from the trees, I guess my only thought was... 'protect.'  Perhaps the way we perceive things can be altered by the nature of our goals."
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 06:08:13 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2013, 10:09:27 AM »
A wave of sleepiness hit her now that the action had stopped. She should be asleep right now. Her jaw cracked as she yawned and she glanced up at the sun. Barely passed midday, she thought to herself. Daccio was loathe to sleep around strangers but it seemed that these were people all of similar interests heading to the same place so she decided to risk it.

She shook her head gently and looked down at Bjorn. He seemed to be concentrating deeply so she left him be. She looked around the wagon train for a likely spot. She caught some of the others talked as she looked, and saw some of them investigating the ash. Quietly she turned and padded off to the back of the wagon train without making so much as a noise. She walked with a slow deliberate movement so as to not attract attention.

As Daccio arrived at the back of the wagon she stifled another yawn and looked around. Seeing no one was directly looking at her she swing up into the back of the wagon with no noise. She was light enough to not really shift the wagon around much. Settling down inside of the thing, she curled up into a ball next to and under various objects in the back, whatever they might be. She pulled her cloak over her an in moments had drifted off to sleep.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2013, 06:12:56 AM »
Dete is not easily frightened, but the ominous feeling from the ash got him on edge and he needed to calm down. After his conversation with Ragnar and Mitoli, he moved to the last wagon. Looking for a place to sit down and relax, he found a suitable tree nearby. Climbing quickly to one of the bigger branches, he places his back on the tree trunk, puts one of his legs down the length of the branch and lets the other one swing freely on the side.

The tribesman will remain there and relax for a while. Even though he is resting, he will still keep a lookout, from his position on the tree, until everyone is ready to move on.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 05:09:45 PM by Radobe »

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2013, 10:12:45 AM »
Emery stares blankly at the young monk while he thoroughly dirties the handkerchief by dragging it across his sooty face.  As Jin merrily hands it back to him, the innkeep flatly states, "Keep it."

Jin's attempt to wrap Emery's ankle is well received.  The grumpiness in his mood begins to wane.  As the young monk puts the last touches to the wrap Emery gives a simple, "Thank you," and a nod.

"Protect."  The innkeep considers the word.  "Some folks are made of stuff that pushes them to aid others.  World's better for it, most times.  Just make sure you protect your own neck while you're at it.  Won't be able to save nobody if you're dead."

---

Before Daccio finally conks out, the wagon driver knocks on the outside of the wagon from his seat up front.

"Just don't touch nothin."  He says, gruffly.

---

The trip back to town fills out the rest of the daylight.  The sun is kissing the horizon as the spire of Keep Yond pokes out in the distance.  The Keep itself rises above the town with high walls and many large, brightly lit windows.  A small town sprawls out around it, surrounded by a shorter wall dotted with guard posts.

As you get closer to the town, you can see the remnants of a building that has recently burnt down.  Luckily, Emery is asleep in the back of a wagon, otherwise you would be graced with the longest and crassest string or curses you've heard at the sight.

The sun dips below the treeline as the heavy wooden gate shuts behind the last handful of soldiers that took the rear guard.  Mitoli leaves his wagons in the hands of the other two drivers as they get situated in the stables. 

Emery wakes up from his nap.  As the sleep leaves his eyes he looks at Jin.  "We back in town already?"

The wagon driver from earlier knocks on the wall again for Daccio.  "Just passed through the gate.  Time to wake up sleeping beauty.  I'll be locking up the wagon for the night.  So unless you intend on staying in there until morning I suggest you make your way."

Alec waves everyone down in the middle of the town square  "Whether you meant to or not, you've all helped us against whatever evil has targeted Keep Yond.  Please, take a room at The Armpit, and have a pint and a meal.  I will compensate Boris on behalf of my lord for his trouble." 

"Hey there Alec, let me repay you for saving our bacon.  A round of ale on me if ya stop by later."  Mitoli would never turn down a free room, but he would still like to repay the guard captain.

"Very well.  I have some things to tend to first.  Until then."  Alec gives a wave before turning and walking toward the Keep.  Kate falls in at his side as they pass through the inner gates.

Rand speaks up as they walk away, "I know the way to The Armpit."  He motions down one of the side streets.  "If you want I can take you there.  Or you can look around town for any supplies you might need.  There is a general store, a blacksmith, and a butcher that I've heard of."

"I need an ale, I know that much.  You lot can do what you like, I'm headed to The Armpit."  Mitoli says.

Rand nods.  "The Clover, whats left of it, is over that way.  Might be worth a look before the ale starts pouring.  Not sure what you'd find now that its dark, but you Callers might see something the rest of us can't."  He waits to see who is coming along to The Armpit before leading the way there.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 10:24:39 AM by Kitharsis »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
She jumped slightly when the driver pounded upon the side of the wagon. She held a knife in one hand, read to throw, but she did not remember pulling it. Yawning loudly, she slipped the dagger back into her sleeve and stretched the best she could in the confines of the wagon. Seems she had gotten a good amount of sleep. The sun was just hitting the horizon as she climbed out of the back of the wagon.

Giving one last stretch as she stood straight, she fixed the hood of her cloak and headed over towards rand, listening to what he had to say. Daccio looked very bright eyed, as would someone who had just woken up to start her day. Eyes alert, she looked around as rand talked.

"I am not sure what help i could be, but i would like to go look at the clover before we retire." She didn't want to admit that she didn't have any money sooner than she had to, the last of what she had long gone.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2013, 11:55:55 AM »
Bjorn remained calm throughout the walk, and by the time they had reached the fort the blood flow of his wound had stopped entirely, and the blood on his back was beginning to dry. He quietly listened to the words of others as they spoke of the fort, and heard Alec's offer of food and ale. But he also heard Rand's note of the clover. That was something he wished to see.

Wordlessly he made his way to the charred ruins of the Clover and sat in the middle of the wreckage, in his familiar cross-legged, weapons crossed stance. As he sat, he attempted to commune with the spirit of fire and the spirit of the wolf. Again the circle of flame struck up around him, but this time is merely burned its circle around him, wavering and flowing as he attempted to learn what he could from the remnants of flame in the area.

"Bál, syna me yðvarr fróðleikr. Valdr, syna me yðvarr gata. láta me vita of yðvarr augas."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: December 26, 2013, 12:02:13 PM »
Afanen glances towards the slip of a woman who had been snoozing in the back of the wagon, then to the exiting barbarian. Without a word, she exchanges glances with Ragnar who immediately nods in understanding. Both know that examining The Clover may prove useful to the investigations surrounding the town’s recent troubles, yet a commonly known phrase in Oakvale came to mind, “Too many cooks in the kitchen can lead to one falling in the fire.”  The more people that investigated the area at once, the more likely they would find little. At any rate, Afanen knew what she was after. When she had inhaled the scent of the ashes from the vial, she had easily smelled flame and wolf, yet there was a lingering sense of a man as well. It was this man who was likely the true origin of these problems.

Afanen and Ragnar move away from the rest of the group and find a quiet place to discuss matters.

“What do you say then? We wait until it quiets down a bit and go have a looksy?” whispers Ragnar to his companion.

“As Rand said, it's getting dark,” replies Afanen quietly. “No one will want to be around that place at night. We wait until The Clover's ruins are unoccupied, when there aren’t so many people around. I’ll repeat my experiment with the ashes… see if I can get a better scent of the man. Too many people around right now. I think I have a better chance of finding something if we can isolate the area. We’ll give these officials any information we can find, then we take our leave of it. I don’t mind lending a hand, but we don’t want to get too involved. We’re just passing through. This isn’t our problem.”

Ragnar looks disappointed but agrees with his companion. “You’re right. We just left a hornet’s nest when we fled Oakvale. We don’t want to go blundering into another one.”

“Besides… we have to bear in mind that there are always two sides to the story.”

Ragnar chuckles. “Heh heh. You said ‘bear.’”

Afanen rolls her eyes. “Really, Raggi? I swear you are far too easily amused.” She runs her hand through her hair, all the while, her thoughts still racing. “All I’m saying is, it’s obvious whatever has been attacking these caravans isn’t after goods. Sending wolves of flame? If we hadn’t been there, the caravan would have been charred to a crisp. Whoever did this, he seems to be after some kind of revenge, and who are we to determine that he isn’t deserving of it? I’ll grant these soldiers and townsfolk have been helpful and kind so far, but so are the people of Oakvale as long as you’re not a Caller.”

Afanen puts her hand upon Ragnar’s. “You were right when you said those wolves looked like something I could do. I don’t doubt that it could be another Caller. So why assume he’s bent on some agenda of evil? There’s got to be more to this story. You know people tend to have loose lips when they’ve got enough booze in them.”

Ragnar nods. “So we head to The Armpit and listen in. See if anyone shares more information than they should.”

Ragnar and Afanen rejoin the group. The former claps both Dete and Jin on their backs. “Well, gentleman, it seems the little lady and I are bound for the tavern to sample the local fare. You’re more than welcome to join us for a pint.” His face still wears its seemingly perpetual grin.

Ragnar leans his head down to whisper into Jin’s ear in a conspiratorial way. “Or perhaps two. Though if Fan asks, you’re drinking nothing but apple cider, lad.” He winks to Jin.

Ragnar turns back to Afanen, offering his arm to her. She loops her arm through his and the two make their way towards The Armpit.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 02:52:48 PM by Faidth »

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2013, 12:30:45 PM »
She growls under her breath as the barbarian takes off to the clover without so much as a word after she had announced her intentions to go along. She glanced at rand before he had a chance to reply and spoke.

"I'll meet up with you later."

With that, she stalked off after the barbarian who had left. As she approached she spoke up

"Hey wait up!" she called quietly, yet loud enough to be heard. She slowed and stopped though, as he sat in the middle of the wreckage and spoke himself.

"Bál, syna me yðvarr fróðleikr. Valdr, syna me yðvarr gata. láta me vita of yðvarr augas."

She listened intently to his words, though she could not understand. While he was concentrating, she decided to do a little of her own looking and her metal sight flowed from her. To her eyes only, she could see faint traces of metal around, particularly those in Bjorn's blood. She glanced about the ruins before moving into them, trying to see if there were any metallic clues as to what might be going on. She walked with almost no sound, circling Bjorn, concentrating.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2014, 03:27:08 AM »
Jin grunted cheerfully in response to Emery as they approached the town.  Due to recent events, there was indeed a lot on the young monk's mind, but his curiosity overwhelmed his feelings of uncertainty.  He knew he should not draw any more attention to himself, but could he truly sit still?  How many people would be hurt should Jin fail to act?  What if wolves attacked again, and Afanen, Ragnar, or himself were not there to protect Mitoli?

Jin's eyes widened for a brief moment, as if realizing something obvious.  Mitoli.  Why did the wolves attack his caravan?  If there was something in common between Mitoli's caravan and The Clover... perhaps there would be clues as to where it may strike next.

As if serendipity, Ragnar asks Jin to the Armpit - the same place Mitoli will be going.  As things were, his friend and caravan leader seemed unaware as to why the fiery creatures would act in such a manner toward him.  Perhaps the power of western drink would allow him to think outside the box, or to reveal details he had not originally deemed significant.

At least, that was going to be Jin's excuse to enjoy the joviality of a pub.  Jin laughs as Ragnar conspires with him.  He returns an enthusiastic nod, choosing silence over drawing any more suspicion from Afanen, and follows his friends to The Armpit.

Jin stops in his tracks and looks to Emery excitedly, seeming to have taken a shine to the somewhat gruff man.  "Emery!  You should come with us and celebrate!  To our good health!"

The young monk picks up pace to catch up with Mitoli.  "Mitoli!  Do you have any written inventory of what was on the caravan?  If so, I have some ideas, and I'd very much like to look over it if you don't mind!" His chipper tone sombers, and his eyes meet the stones upon the ground.  "I... want to keep this from happening again."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 04:13:28 PM by Archdemon Stu »

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 06:20:55 AM »
On the way back, Dete follows the caravan on foot accompanying the rear guard. He takes note of the burnt down inn. Since he would prefer to avoid the ominous feeling from before, this is a place he will stand away from.  The guard captain gathers everyone at the town square and the hunter joins the back of the crowd.

"Whether you meant to or not, you've all helped us against whatever evil has targeted Keep Yond.  Please, take a room at The Armpit, and have a pint and a meal.  I will compensate Boris on behalf of my lord for his trouble."

"I know the way to The Armpit." A man with a red bandana and two swords speaks from within the small crowd.   "If you want I can take you there…  Not sure what you'd find now that its dark, but you Callers might see something the rest of us can't."

Dete gives a harsh glare at the man with bandana after his comment. Apart from his tribe, no one knows he is a caller and he wants to keep it that way. The fact that this man suggested to know got him on edge for a few seconds. He quickly dismissed the thought, thinking it was just him misunderstanding the statement. After all the bandana man didn’t even know him, he couldn’t have included him when he spoke of callers.

The tribesman tries to break his glare with a forced smile. “I need some provisions, can you tell me where the general store is?”

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2014, 12:29:47 PM »
Emery grunts in return to Jin's request to join everyone at The Armpit. His brow is set with determination as he hurriedly waves away Jin's kindness. He limps off through an alleyway before anyone can protest his absence.

Rand watches with amusement as Bjorn and Daccio hurry off to the remains of The Clover. He noticed Dete's glare when he addressed everyone as Callers. Clearly the tribesman is sensitive to the word, but if he is or isn't a Caller, Rand won't be announcing anything to the public any time soon.

He returns Dete's forced smile with a genuine one of his own. "I haven't visited them myself yet, but I'm told the butcher, general store, and blacksmith have all set up shop next to each other. You can find them further down the main street here."
Rand points behind him. You can see the three signs hanging from the buildings. The general store is advertised with a sign depicting an open chest filled with odds and ends. "I hope you're able to find what you need there."

Dete finds the general store easily. A little bell above the door jingles as he enters the shop. More than a few pieces of merchandise look out of place, as if they came from quite far away. The markings and depictions on the garments and pottery are not familiar to Dete.

An annoyed voice with a strange dialect barks from the back of the shop. "What do you want?!"

A short man wearing thick spectacles swipes aside the curtain hanging between the front and back of the shop. He is balding, with thick tufts of hair sticking out of the side of his head. His torso is just a little too long for his legs, giving them a short and stubby look. His feet, curiously, are wearing sandals made from a sort of reed. Very out of place in Treymara.

"Well?" His big eyes stare at Dete through his spectacles, seeming bothered by having a customer.

----

Bjorn and Daccio find the remains of The Clover a short walk away. The smell of charred wood sits heavy in the air. A stone chimney has fallen across the ruined frame. Warped and melted pots and pans sit in a pile in the corner.

It has been a few days since the fire by now, and any foot or paw prints from that night have long since been trampled over. No question Emery or nosy townspeople have already picked through the remains for anything worth saving.

Bjorn's prayer has an immediate effect. As the las word leaves his lips the circle of flames around him roars higher, reaching over his head. Through the wall of flame he sees The Clover intact. It is a world painted by fire. The thick beams crackle and snap as the flames hungrily engulf the building.

Atop the roof a mix of man and wolf howls loudly. As he does so a pack of wolves rear their heads out of the blaze and join in his call. The fire surges, causing the building to crumble beneath him. The beams finally having succumbed to the fire's wrath. The Caller leaps from the falling roof, clearing the wall and landing on the ground outside. A pack of fiery wolves similar to the ones that attacked before swarm behind him. He runs through a trail that leads away from Keep Yond and up into the hills. Bjorn can see the Caller's escape until it blinks out far above town.

The flames subside, and the charred remains of The Clover meet Bjorn's eyes once again.

In the meantime, Daccio's metal sense is tingling. The pile of pots and pans is obvious, and there are metal nails littering the ground. But there is something underneath a pile of beams that isn't like the rest. It is shaped like a short sword or a dagger. It might have belonged to whoever, did this to The Clover.

---

"Written inventory? I've got one stashed in the wagon somewhere." Mitoli leans in close to Jin's ear. "Mostly just for nosy guardsman and toll collectors, lad. The real list is up here." He points to his head and winks. Returning upright, He continues. "No, Jin, there isn't much out of the usual in those wagons." He glances around, making sure any guards nearby hear him. His voice is a tad too loud for normal conversation. "Bolts of cloth, spices, odds and ends. Picked up some nice rugs a few weeks ago."

Rand turns his head and looks back at Mitoli. "Not too many guards patrol this area with the sewers and all." He says, as if answering a question that no one had asked. "You'll see what I mean."

Rand unties his bandana and covers his nose and mouth with it. As they round a corner the smell of diluted refuse his everyone's nose. There is a building on the side of the hill with a short section of wall on the other side of the road. If you'd look over the wall you would see that an output pipe from the sewers empties out over the cliffs below. Rand quickens his pace and hurries to the door. It would be wise to filter in just as quickly.

Mitoli lets out a held in breath upon entering. "Light save me, why would anyone build something here?"

"Lands cheap!" A large man chuckles behind the bar. "Smells worse by the stables anyway. Here, snuff some of this."

The innkeep pushes a bowl of smoldering incense toward the caravan leader. Mitoli sniffs at the smoke lazily rising out of the bowl. His mustache swishes side to side as works it around his nose.

"Almost covers it all up." Mitoli says appreciatively.

"Almost..." Rand adds as he shakes out his bandanna.

"Aye, Rand. Who'er these folk ya brought with ya?" The innkeep asks.

"Trading caravan passing through town. We found them under attack by the beast in the hills. Made quick work of it thanks to the caravan guards and a few lucky travelers." He nods toward Mitoli and company. "Alec and his guards helped too, of course. He'll be stopping by later to settle up their tabs, Boris."

Boris had stopped wiping down the bar at mention of the beast. His brow is furrowed as he looks from face to face.

"And Alec sent you here for the night, eh?" His thick fingers drum on the bar.

"Light help me, I hope that thing doesn't do here what it did to The Clover. That damn Alec, can't put you all up at the keep with all them guards around. Oh no, Boris'll take care of 'em."

He pounds his meaty fist on the bar. "Hells, and that I will. I'll show ya some rooms in a minute. Y'all look thirsty. First round's coming up. Make yourselves comfortable."

"Much obliged!" Mitoli exclaims. For all the danger faced today the caravan leader is in exceptional spirits. He grabs a seat by the fireplace and awaits his ale. The inn is empty save for Mitoli and company.

"Now then, you two," he says addressing Afanen and Ragnar, "What do you think about this beast business? I'd much rather stay out of it, but we may have no choice on the matter."

Rand waves Jin over to the bar. He is leaning against it with a bowl of incense nearby. "You have a fighting style I haven't seen before. Where do you hail from?" He asks the young monk. 

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #55 on: January 22, 2014, 02:23:43 PM »
At the flare up of Bjorn's flame, she leapt back a good several feet, falling into a fighting stance. Once she realized it was bjorn and not an enemy she let out a breath she hadn't realize she had been holding in. She glares at the man and grumbles under her breath before resuming her search.

She glances about at the ruins here, eyes scanning the bits of metal popping up in her vision. One thing in particular catches her eye, so she moves in that direction . She realizes that the item of interest, a dagger or shortsword, is intermingled with a pile of beams. She frowns at it before squatting down and attempting to wriggle her arms into the beam piled to get at it.

"Bjorn, I found something. Give me a hand would you?" She called out without looking back, trying to get at the blade.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2014, 06:19:23 PM »
"þakka þú." Bjorn muttered, thanking the flames for their knowledge as the ring die down and left him once more among the ashes. He heard Daccio's call for aid and sprung to his feet, sheathing the weapons he had placed on the ground and striding over.

"Do you need something? Ah, I see your keen eyes have found a clue. One moment." Bjorn says, kneeling down and reaching under one of the fallen beam's to lift.

"Oðinn loðinn grunnr!" What sounded distinctly like a Nordic Swear left Bjorn's mouth as he heaved. "These Suðrlanders make heavy supports. What do these houses have to stand up to that they need such heavy oak?!"

With a lift of his shoulders, he sent the first beam on its way, tumbling off to the side. "Rampaging fire-dogs, apparently." He said, making a joke out of it. With a short laugh and a smirk, he bent down and worked on the second beam, heaving this one aside somewhat easier. The third and final large beam went aside just as easily, and Bjorn, having just done the work of three normal men on his own, cracked his neck and stretched his shoulders like it had only been a mild exercise.

"There. What is it you've found?" Bjorn asked, crouching down to observe what Daccio had discovered.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2014, 08:49:17 PM »
She blinked as the heaved the beams out of the way, one by one.  As he tossed the third one away, she was staring. He was incredibly strong, not someone she wanted to be on the bad side of. She blinked again, and shook her head.

"Yes, what I've found."

She knelt down next to the beams and reached in to grab whatever it was in there.

"I think it might be some sort of dagger or short sword of some sort."

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #58 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:47 PM »
Ragnar and Afanen exchange glances when Mitoli becomes evasive about the cargo. Despite his vocal protests to the contrary, both seem to think there may be a few rare goods on the caravan. However, Mitoli has never given them reason to mistrust him, so Ragnar shrugs dismissively.

As they pass the sewer, Afanen wrinkles her nose. "Seems like a decent place to hide. No one would ever look there." She whispers just loud enough for Ragnar to hear.

"I pray our nosing about doesn't lead us there," returns Ragnar.

Upon entering the tavern, Ragnar and Afanen immediately allow their bear souls to affect their hearing, despite the fact the tavern seems relatively empty. Both Ragnar and Afanen are relieved to be away from the sewer.

"Won't be using my sense of smell anytime soon," mumbles Ragnar.

They seat themselves near Mitoli while awaiting their much anticipated first round.

"I'd rather stay out of it, but like you said, I don't think we have a choice," responds Afanen. "We will do what we can."

Ragnar scratches his head. "How long do you plan on being here, Mitoli? What comes after Keep Yond?"

Afanen appears lost in thought. "Mitoli, has anything like that happened to you before?"

« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:46:36 AM by Faidth »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #59 on: January 24, 2014, 09:54:16 PM »
"Hmm...." Bjorn says, inspecting the blade.

"Certainly not something one expects to be in a tavern...But I don't think this is our prey's weapon. We'd best speak to the Captain about this. I have news of my own."