Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: The Calling: Beginnings (Part 1)  (Read 22529 times)

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
Re: The Calling: Beginnings (Part 1)
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2014, 09:43:53 PM »
Mitoli's answer to Jin's felt amiss, but the Child of Spring had secrets of his own that Mitoli was kind enough not to harangue him about.  If it was truly relevant to the wolves of flame they had encountered earlier, he would no doubt have shared.  Besides, he had already admitted to plenty.  Jin smiles and nods. "Ah, the rugs!  I believe I've solved this mystery." He chuckles lightly at his own joke.

As the group continues, even Jin's formal training and ability to still his mind helps little when the stench of both fresh and stale sewage meets his nostrils.  Though he tries to maintain his composure, he soon surrenders and uses his spare sleeve to cover his nose.  The familiar scent of incense is a welcome one indeed, and he nearly lets out a sigh... but he stifles it, knowing he will have to breathe in afterward.

Just as Mitoli, Ragnar, and Afanen engage in conversation, Rand invites Jin toward the bar.  As he asks his questions though, the monk seems somewhat pale-faced.  "Oh, you... saw me fight?  Well, I, um..." He seems to be gathering himself.  Exactly what did Rand see?  Jin had used far too many of his abilities in that encounter under the assumption that nobody was watching.  Did this man see anything out of the ordinary?

With a light breath of the incense, Jin seemed to relax.  "I am from a monastery in Liangwei.  In the monasteries, they teach us many things to train our minds and bodies to further our meditations." He lifted his bo, and looked at it as if in a blissful state.  "You likely saw me using bojutsu; perhaps with a hint of quanfa.  I suppose it was the most fitting thing for me to learn... I never did like edged weapons, though I do find them fascinating." Jin's eyes raised to his taller acquaintance.  "Where did you learn martial arts?"

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2014, 05:18:17 AM »
"I haven't visited them myself yet,… down the main street here."

“Thank you very much. Later I will join you at the pub, until then goodbye.” With this Dete departs towards the store’s location. He takes a quick look at the other shops before finally entering in the general store.

In his travels he has visited many stores of this kind, most don’t differ much from one another, but this one had a different feel to it. A lot of merchandise looked foreign and exotic, none of them even vaguely familiar to the hunter.

"What do you want?!"

Dete raises an eyebrow when he sees the odd looking man. Though he doesn’t show it, this store continues to surprise him. The short man, who he thinks is the owner, looked both, interesting and weird. His body seemed off and the less said about his hair the better. His spectacles, sandals and a torso that looked like it didn’t fit him, made the hunter think that this man was some sort of both, physical and cultural, amalgamation.

"Well?"

Repeating his question, the shop keep snaps the hunter out of his thoughts and returns him back into the shop.

“Good... evening,” a little bit startled he fails to instantly recall the time of day and simply goes with what comes to mind. “I have come to barter for your goods.” While going closer to the little man, he opens up one of his sacs and shows a few skins of local animals he has collected in the region. “If you have any, I would like to trade for garments that will help me...” he stares a few seconds at the owner, as if judging his attire. “Fit in, with the locals.”
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
  • Who wants to build a sand castle?
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2014, 11:38:28 AM »
@Daccio & Bjorn

Daccio's fingers wrap around the hilt of the dagger.  The handle is covered in black leather with a thatch work of silver running across it.  The pommel ends in a pointed spike, and the guard is in the shape of an outstretched scaly claw.

The weapon is unmarred from the fire and days of exposure.  Such a fine weapon as this seems unlikely to be owned by a simple merchant.

"What's all that racket?"  A woman shouts from the house beside The Clover.  The door opens and she pokes her head out of the threshold.  Even in the fading light of dusk you can see her eyes widen as she gasps at the sight of the two of you.  "You're..."  She considers you for a time, never fully stepping out of her door.  "You're those travelers that just showed up today, aren't you?"

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2014, 02:33:34 PM »
Her fingers curl around the hilt of a strange looking dagger. She looked up to Bjorn.

"I... can't say i've ever seen something quite like this"

"What's all that racket?" a woman's voice calls out from behind the clover. Daccio spun, cloak swirling around herself. As it settled, she had the dagger hidden underneath the cloak, slipped through her belt.

"Good day Ma'am" she called with a smile. She activated the attraction aspect of her mink soul. "We are indeed. Just arrived today!" she said cheerfully.

With one hand she motioned to the ruins around them

"My companion and I thought we could help the folk of the town out, so we stopped by to see if we could find anything for you all. No worries, I promise we will be out of your hair soon" She smiled again, hoping that the aspect of her mink soul might win this lady over quick. "Is there anything we can do for you?"

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2014, 06:51:23 PM »
Bjorn remains silent, standing behind Daccio's shoulder as she speaks, his towering figure resting behind her smaller form. He crosses his arms and observes the woman, his fixed on her, reading her intent. Even in a friendly village, something did the damage around him inside the walls. He could not fully trust anyone, save those he had battled with. Perhaps not even some of them. But Daccio, yes, he could trust her. And he chose to trust her to do the talking. He pulled his wolf pelt down to where it hooded his eyes and allowed his gaze to wander to the horizon, contemplating back to another woman that he could trust, a wistful smile playing across his face.

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2014, 04:23:13 PM »
@Jin

Rand sounds out the monasteries name, pronouncing each syllable slowly. "Li-ang-wei."  He seems to be turning the word around in his mind.  For a moment it seems like he might recognize the monastery, but a casual shrug dashes any concern.  "Must be pretty far from here.  I... travel a lot, but I haven't heard of it before now."

Rand looks appreciatively at Jin's bo as the young monk describes his techniques.  "They sound impressive.  Formal training must be very useful when fighting.  My 'martial arts' were learned out of necessity.  When you travel as much as I do, you are either very lucky, or you learn to take care of yourself." 

Boris slides two mugs over to the pair with a grunt before walking off toward the others.

"I have terrible luck," he says, before he grabs one of the mugs and takes a sip, "so I learned how to fight the hard way."  His eyes seem distant, as if he was stuck in a memory.  You get the feeling that he has been alone for quite a while.  He hides it well, but with your sense of empathy you can that it has been wearing on him.

@Afanen & Ragnar

"Oh, we'll stay for a few days.  See what coin the locals have in their pockets, and if we can relieve them of some of it."  He rubs his chin, adding, "Can't say I want to venture outside of the walls just yet, anyways."

He shrugs off his overcoat and lets it drape over the back of his chair.  "After Keep Yond there are a few little specks of towns.  We're on the way to a split.  To the north heads up in the mountains, the east will take ya to the coast.  Can't say I'm set on one more than the other.  We'll see where we end up after this mess.  Sea air might do us some good."

Afanen, seemingly lost in thought asks her question.  Mitoli leans back in his chair and crosses his arms.  His seemingly permanent grin fades before answering.

"No, lass."  He shakes his head.  "Can't say it has.  I've run into bandits before.  Wolves, real ones, sometimes get curious up north in them mountains...  But nothing like today." 

He glances around the room, then uncrosses his arms and leans forward.  "I've heard the stories though.  Some of the other caravan leaders told tales about queer things happening, like water that crawls out of the river onto shore, or rocks that shuffle out of the way as wagons roll through."

"Also, don't you think its odd that-"  He straightens as he catches Boris coming up behind them, his grin returning.

"Pay no mind there," Boris's gruff voice comes from behind the couple.  The inn keeper places three mugs of frothy ale on the table in front of you. 

"Some sturdy weapons ya got there!"  Boris says, quite happily.  "I don't mind ya keepin them on ya.  Just don't go swingin them around after a few mugs, eh?"

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2014, 09:11:02 AM »
@Dete

The odd shopkeeper leans over the counter.  He is propped up on his hands and his feet dangle off of the ground below him.  His spectacles slide down his nose, causing him to have to tilt his head back to see inside Dete's bag properly.  He talks to himself in a sort of droning hum as he inspects the animal skins.

"Thats something."  He says as he balances on one hand and plucks one of the skins out of the bag.  He inspects the edges closely and with interest.

"Yes, you are very efficient with your craft.  The locals here are too rough, too careless.  They waste too much of the skin with their dull knives."  The shopkeeper leans back, his feet touching back to the ground.

He pushes his spectacles back on his nose and looks at Dete, studying the Hunter.  "You are not from this place.  I am not either.  Kiko is my name."  His shortness a few moments ago has dissipated.  Perhaps meeting another outsider has softened the man. 

"I know you are not from here, from the cuts you do here.  No one does this, it is not the custom.  This is better, I think."  Kiko finally gives a smile.

"I have some clothes in the trunk there."  He points to a large dusty trunk in the corner.  "Some clothing given to me from Lord Yond a while ago.  See if anything suits you."

Offline Kitharsis

• Tirthandaran
  • Primarch
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2014, 09:32:07 AM »
@Bjorn & Daccio

The woman steps out of her door, revealing the surprisingly large mace held in her other hand.  It seems almost too large for her to handle, but she carries it with ease and familiarity.

"'Spose Alec already gave ya the once over.  Course he's been wrong before, but you seem right enough."

She scans the rubble around you, noting the shifted beams with a raise of her eyebrow.  With a sigh she allows herself to relax a bit.

"Well, if you're able to find out what did this the whole town will be in your debt."  She swings her door back open and steps inside.  Before closing it she adds.  "Just don't get us all killed in the process!"

The door shuts behind her, and you can hear her footsteps pacing further into her house.  Daccio's attraction aspect seems to have settled her down.

The guards are making their way through the streets with torches, lighting oil lamps on some of the street corners.  It is fully dark now, the sun having fallen behind the hills in the west.

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2014, 09:05:39 PM »
Ragnar and Afanen listen intently at Mitoli explains what comes after Keep Yond. They both know that eventually they will have to find a more permanent solution to their departure from Oakvale. However, both of them have always yearned for travel, and working as caravan guards seems to give them the promise of both travel and a steady income.  At the mention of the possibility of sea air, Afanen brightens. The coast is something she has only read about, and the prospect of seeing it in person seems an exciting option.

Mitoli’s discussion of what he’s seen during his travels is cut short, and they both nod knowingly as Boris appears nearby. The subtle gesture indicates both Ragnar and Afanen wish to hear anything else Mitoli might have to say on the matter.

Ragnar grins from ear to ear at Boris’s observation of their weapons. “Sturdy is an understatement! These are weapons forged by Blodwen of Oakvale, one of the greatest smiths alive today! You’d be hard-pressed to find finer quality than these.”

It is a name that even the tavern keeper will likely recognize. The name of the smith Blodwen is known far and wide, yet the fact that master smith is a woman is a closely-guarded Oakvale secret. There are those who would turn up their noses at the work of a female smith. Nevertheless, Afanen reddens considerably at Ragnar’s accolades

“You’ve nothing to worry of our weapons after a few mugs.  If anything, you should fear Ragnar’s singing. He’s a lovely voice when he’s sober, but after a few drinks, he starts to sound like a sick horse in heat,” says Afanen with a wink.

Ragnar’s gaze drifts to the window and he nudges Afanen. It is beginning to grow dark and several townsfolk light the oil lamps on the street corners.

Ragnar downs his ale in two gulps, sliding his forearm across his lips as he pushes himself back from the table. “We have some business to tend to before bedding down for the night.”

Afanen downs hers in one, before winking at Ragnar. “You’re losing your touch, friend.”

“Show-off,” mutters Ragnar with a smirk. He puts a few coins on the table and a little extra coin for Boris for serving them.

“But perhaps when we get back we can speak more of oddities,” speaks Afanen. “And we must again give you our sincere thanks, Mitoli. Thank you for allowing us to travel with you.”

On their way out, Ragnar claps Jin on the back. “Have fun, lad. We’re out for a romantic evening stroll.” Ragnar grins, waggling his eyebrows at Afanen suggestively.

Afanen snorts. “Romantic! You really are full of it.” She laughs off his comment, and the keen observer will see a slight twinge affect the corners of Ragnar’s grin.

Afanen touches Jin’s shoulder. “Not too much fun, Jin.” The affection she has for the boy is apparent in her voice, and she narrows her eyes, warily, but not threateningly at Rand. It is clear she is quite protective of Jin. “If you need us, we won’t be far.”

Ragnar and Afanen make their way towards the door, stepping outside into the growing darkness. Both activate their heightened senses: Ragnar, his sight, and Afanen, her sense of smell.

“Ugh,” groans Afanen. “This better be worth it.”

Ragnar nods. “I’ve a notion it will be. There are still some people over by the Clover. Let’s wait until they leave and continue our little investigation shall we?”

Afanen nods. “I’ll repeat the experiment with the ash. With luck, maybe we can get a sense of where he or she went after torching the place.”

“And what do we do if we run into the arsonist? Anyone crazy enough to burn down buildings and attack caravans…”

Afanen shakes her head. “You forget, Ragnar.” She repeats her words from earlier. “There are two sides to every story. Let’s not be so quick to judge and condemn.”

The two intend to wait until Bjorn and Daccio are clear of the area before approaching the remnants of The Clover.

Offline Archdemon Stu

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2014, 05:40:02 PM »
Jin sits in wonder as Rand tells his story.  Though the boy was envious of Rand's travels, the wanderer seemed... tired.  Such sentiments were relatable to say the least.  Before Mitoli, Ragnar, and Afanen, Jin was little more than a hungry street performer.

A mug of ale slides in front of him, and Rand partakes.  Jin looks into the basin, inspecting the liquid foaming within.  Sniffing it would do little with the strong scent of incense and leavings.  He tilts it carefully into his mouth... foam.  With a small grunt, he wipes the foam from his nose, and tries again, this time getting a suitable amount of liquid.  He recoils briefly, and raises a quizzical brow at the container, but soon after comes a warm sensation with a mellow fizz that seems to settle him.  He smiles, and takes another swig.

After a moment of thought, Jin turns to the man treating him.  "You must be strong!  I have spent the vast majority of my life cooped up in a monastery.  After I left to seek my path in this world... I must admit, I didn't last long before Mitoli found me."

Suddenly, Ragnar claps Jin on the back.  As always, Ragnar manages to get a laugh out of Jin, and Afanen warns the young monk not to overindulge.  A fair warning, as his upper lip is covered in foam.  With an embarrassed chuckle, he wipes his face clean and nods.  "Stay out of trouble!" he shouts jovially as they leave, clearly unconcerned that any harm could come to the pair.

Jin turns back to Rand.  "Those two are travelers as well, though I'm not sure why.  Though, usually when men travel... it is because they seek change, in whatever form it may come.  In essence, it is a great way to seek enlightenment, as change is the only constant in the world, and travel... it is the very essence of change.  With each step in our journey, the mountains, trees, cities... the whole world changes before our eyes."

Jin sighs, "My apologies, I seem to be regurgitating those philosophy scrolls again.  But, I am curious..." Jin takes another sip of his western brew.  "...Why is it that you travel?"

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2014, 09:08:02 AM »
 "Spose Alec already gave ya the once over.  Course he's been wrong before, but you seem right enough. Well, if you're able to find out what did this the whole town will be in your debt. Just don't get us all killed in the process!"

She sighed lightly as the lady retreated back to her house, taking that large mace with her. She had not wanted a confrontation. Fortunately, her attraction aspect had done its job.

"Bjorn, I think we should take our leave before anyone else shows up. I think we have what we came for."

She idly patted the dagger under her cloak and started to move, hopefully with Bjorn following.

"Did you find anything?" She asked curiously, looking up at him.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
"Yes, actually." Bjorn said, glancing back to where he had sat and prayed, before following after Daccio. "It was a caller who did this. I saw through the flames the final moments of the Inn's destruction, and the direction in which the man fled. He is startlingly similar to me, with affinity for both fire and wolves. He is no Nordhallr however. He does not seem to have a taste for battle himself, and lets his wolves fight for him."

His eyes traced the path of the wolfman's retreat from the town. "He fled into the hills, his pack at his heels."

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2014, 05:32:36 PM »
She listened as she walked, lost in thought. After a few moments, she spoke up.

"We should take this news to the crew we met today. They all seemed caught up in the same mess that we were, perhaps they would be willing to work on this again. Also, I'd like to find out if anyone knows about this dagger"

She moved around town, looking for the larger building that would indicate a tavern or inn and headed in that direction.

"I feel like there is more to this than we are seeing..."

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2014, 06:49:23 AM »
Dete nods at the shopkeeper's acknowledgment. Wastefulness was not something his tribe looked fondly on and diminishing the properties of an animal's skin was also considered wasteful.

"You are not from this place.  I am not either.  Kiko is my name."

“Yes I have traveled a long way and it has taken me a lot of time to reach these lands. I am Dete na Plemeto, people call me Dete for short.” The hunter carefully takes out the skins from the sack and place's them on the counter, before approaching the trunk. He then moves to the trunk, opens it and start rummaging through the garments within.

“I have been in many cities, but I have not seen...” Dete struggles for a second to come up with the right word. Immediately the word outsider comes to his mind, but in his language it sounds very insulting and he prefers not to use it. “ … people like us to put down roots. Is it common for foreigners to settle down with the locals?” Finally he remembered the word he was looking for, foreigners. Generally the tribesman is not fond of small talk, but it is not every day you see an outsider living amongst locals. As his usual demeanor dictates, he shows no tact and jumps straight to the point.

While talking he has already found some articles of clothing he deemed suitable and has set them aside. After a quick look over the choices he picks a few and gives them an approving nod. A white shirt and a brown sleeves vest for his torso. Simple black linen trousers and a dark brown sash, for his bottom half. Putting his chosen clothes aside he returns the chest in the condition it was before his rummaging.

Unstrapping his leather armor, the tribesman revealed his rough body. A part from some scars and a few scabs from fresh wounds here and there, his body was entirely covered by muscles. Not a rough and big type of muscle, but small well defined, hard and at the same time flexible muscle. One could suggest the man held power simply by look at his visage, but this image shows the tempered body of Dete. Years of hunting piled on top of each other has given him this body. Not bulky, but still strong in its own way.

After putting on his new clothes he neatly puts his armor into one sack. His knifes are now tucked into his sash, bow and spear on his back. He has kept his own leather boots, after all with a lair of mud no shoes will look any different. Feeling like a last touch was need, he undoes his braid and lets his hair spread freely. With this done, he only needed to finish his conversation with the shopkeeper and he would be on his way to the tavern.
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!