Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8037  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Westward: Incident at Fort Southridge  (Read 49570 times)

Offline Daccio

• Captain
Re: Westward: Incident at Fort Southridge
« Reply #160 on: May 19, 2016, 09:06:05 AM »
As she listens to the downed man prattle on and spouting pretty much what she expected of him her eyes catch a glint. Just as she sees it, however, there is a crack and the bandit on the ground spasms in his death.

She throws herself to the side, grabbing her pack from her horse,  as another shot rings out. She slips behind cover just in time to see the marshal get hit in the shoulder by the second shot. She curses under her breath as the glint of many more rifles twinkle on the edges of the Canyon.

She pulled her climbing gloves from her belt and put them on her hands just in case and crouched, darting towards Sebastian and the Marshall. There were more gunman than she had thought and bullets tore up the terrain around her, one catching her skirts and tearing a rip though them. She dove into the cover and came up beside the MarshalL on his wounded side, ears ringing with gunfire.

"That looks bad" she growled at his wound and reached into a pouch on her belt. She popped some leaves in her mouth, chewed for a bit, spit a crumpled mess of plant matter in her hand at would attempt to press it into the Marshall's wound.

"It should help stop the bleeding. Now what are we doing to get out of this?"

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #161 on: May 30, 2016, 02:09:18 AM »
The Marshal fires round after round as the rest of the group slips behind the boulders, bullets whizzing all around.  Grunting in pain he leans against the rock as he brushes away Enoka's hand. "No! No....I can manage....." He grits his teeth as he pulls a small syringe out of his jacket and jabs it into his leg, his breathing relaxing a moment later.  He looks over at the bounty hunter and shakes his head.

"N...no....too many guns up there, even with smoke screen there would be too much of a chance of someone taking a round."

The Marshal pauses for a moment as he grits his teeth, the man turning his head about as if trying to think of a plan.

"I'll be damned if this is how it ends...."

A moment later the suns seem to darken as a shadow washes over the area.  The silhouette of a ship covers the area, the size increasing as the craft lowers closer to the ground until its only a short distance from the ground.  From the deck of the ship gunfire begins to ring out, a few thumps echoing through the area followed by explosions peppering the hillside where the bandits are firing from.  As this all occurs a platform quickly begins to drop from the other side of the ship.  The platform is surrounded by fencing, metal plating bolted to the front.  Crouched behind the barrier, a man leans out and souts to the group

"If you have any desire of living to see another day you had better get your asses on here right now!" 

He leans out and fires a few rounds up at the bandits, providing covering fire for the others to dart onto the platform
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #162 on: May 30, 2016, 05:05:57 PM »
She throws the clump of herb on the ground

"Fine, be a stubborn, pig headed..."

Her voice trailed off as she caught the silloutte of a ship covering the area. She crouched down at the first explosion rocked the cliffsides.

She turned to sebastion, her eyes catching the other's before jerking her head in the direction of the platform.

"Let's go" she called, and darted out, staying low. She grabbed the edge of the platform and pulled herself over, even as a bullet zipped past her face and gouged out some metal of the fencing, throwing a small amount of shrapnel up to put a shallow slice across her neck.

Peering up, just over the the railing, breathing hard at the near death, she readied to grab sebastian's hand and help get her over the top of the fencing, to help prevent further injury to anyone.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
« Reply #163 on: June 01, 2016, 09:46:04 PM »
Their savior has arrived in mysterious fashion. Seth's odds of something like this were exceptionally low, but here they stood, and he wasn't going to hurt his odds of survival by refusing aid. Carefully moving over to his bike while behind cover, he lifted it halfway from the ground and looked at the ramp, calculating his odds.

'One chance at this. Get the bike onto the platform and yourself behind cover. No mistakes. Cost of failure too great.'

Seth shoved the bike onto its wheels and threw himself into the seat haphazardly before gunning the gas and pulling back on the handlebars. As the bike shot toward the platform, it left its front wheel for a moment just long enough for the back wheel to kick off the ground and the plating, slamming the front wheel forward on the other side and performing and impromptu see-saw over the edge of the platform. Planting the bike back on its side safely on the platform, Seth stumbled into cover again, his injured leg giving out on him shortly after leaving the bike, and began to fire blindly to create an opening for his remaining compatriots.

Offline Radobe

• Marine Sergeant
  • Make games, not love!
« Reply #164 on: June 11, 2016, 03:59:11 AM »
Everything unfolds at a quick pace and the jagger has little time to act. Despite the marshal's earlier suggestion Sebastian blind fires her last three smoke grenades from cover. As soon as the grenades were fired, her attention was drawn to a shadow encroaching the area. A massive ship came and with a thundering explosion shook the hillside where the bandits were firing from.

"If you have any desire of living to see another day you had better get your asses on here right now!" 

There was no need to tell Sebastian twice, she quickly jumped on her feet and followed Enoka's example rushing to the platform. Reaching out she grabs Enoka's hand and with a few quick steps on the metal surface of the outward wall, the jagger leaps into the platform. She gives the other bounty hunter a nod of appreciation.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 04:05:24 PM by Radobe »
An eye for two, a tooth for a jaw, a hair for a head! Fight to be respected!

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #165 on: June 26, 2016, 01:12:05 AM »
Once Sebastian leaps over the railing, the Marshal follows, steadying himself against the railing as the man who had shouted at them hollers into a small device on the railing.

"Alright, they are all in, get us up and out of here!"

The lift begins to rise quickly, the ship turning and beginning to move off even before the lift fully ascends.  Reaching the top the entire lift swings in over and touches down on the deck.  Soon after a handful of people arrive from various directions, each carrying some sort of firearm, one of them actually carrying one and having a multitude of assorted firearms strapped to him. Moving off of the lift the man hollers out.

"Jayne would you put all of that away, and Doc, looks like we've got someone in need  of those vaunted services of yours."

One of the crewmen steps forward, his attire looking like someone from the Capital City.  Moving to the Marshal he quickly examines the bullet wound.

"Doesn't look too bad.  His coat seems to have took most of the force, though I do need to get that metal out of him."

He moves to support the Marshal but Vil waves him off.

"I'm alright Simon....I can walk."

The lawman moves off the lift, the briefcase in his one hand and extending the other to shake hands with the one who seems to be in charge.

"Well....I must certainly say I did not expect you and your crew to be the ones pulling us out of that mess Mal."

The man laughs as he shakes the Marshal hand.

"Yeah yeah....we're big damn heroes.  Truth be told, didn't even realize it was you down there.  Simply saw your little band down there pinned down, figured it for bandits attacking a caravan and I had one of my rare softie moments."

He chuckles as the doctor interrupts the two of them.

"I hate to break up this cheerful conversation but the Marshal is still bleeding and I need to get him down to the medroom at once to see to that."

Mal waves a hand dismissively.

"Yeah sure."

He leans in close to the Marshal seems to mutter something to him, eliciting a nod from the lawman who mutters something in return before moving off with the doctor towards the door leading below deck.  Mal moves back to the lift and looks at each of the companions, his arms crossed in front of him.

"Well...the Marshal vouches for you so that's enough for now....so welcome aboard the Serenity.  If you are going to spend time on my ship you had better keep some things in mind.  First...you are free to wander the ship.  She's got all your standard amenities...galley, one or two spare bunks if you need some shut-eye, however...you will stay out of the hold.  I catch you in there...well...it won't be good.  Second...this is my ship....my rules, simple as that."

He turns to one of the others behind him.

"Wash...set a course for Yewanrey.  Kaylee, make sure everything is running smooth in the engine room...Zoe...you're in charge up here.  I'm headed down to check on the Marshal."

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #166 on: June 27, 2016, 11:47:52 PM »
She nods back to Sebastian, ducking behind the wall of the platform as it begins to rise.

They soon reach the deck, where a doctor is summoned to see to the marshal. Enoka sorta spaces out, glancing to Sebastian as the group natters on, but something being said breaks her out of her daydream.

"I hate to break up this cheerful conversation but the Marshal is still bleeding and I need to get him down to the medroom at once to see to that."

"Well the stubborn man wouldn't be bleeding if he had accepted my help below" she snapped, looking to the Marshal then, shaking her head.

After a moment.

"Well...the Marshal vouches for you so that's enough for now....so welcome aboard the Serenity.  If you are going to spend time on my ship you had better keep some things in mind.  First...you are free to wander the ship.  She's got all your standard amenities...galley, one or two spare bunks if you need some shut-eye, however...you will stay out of the hold.  I catch you in there...well...it won't be good.  Second...this is my ship....my rules, simple as that."

She looked away and rolled her eyes at his little speech and attempt to intimidate them, before she looks back and performs a picture perfect curtsy and speaking in a soft voice.

"Thank you so much for your hospitality sir, it is most welcome, and your timing most fortuitous."

And that point she gingerly reached up to her neck to check the wound, bringing away a hand covered in blood. She sighed, taking out a small cloth of linen and held to her neck.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 05:43:10 PM by Daccio »

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #167 on: July 09, 2016, 09:34:02 PM »
Seth hardly listens as he and his friends are given a brief rundown of their situation on this ship. His mind is still running in overdrive from the fight, and he is running a damage assessment on his own body as he lay slumped on the railing of the platform next to his bike.

'Bullet Grazes-two, one on the left forearm, one across the right cheek. Minor burns and lacerations; no bleeding due to the heat of the passing bullet and the surface nature of the wounds. Gauntlets and bike moderately injured, low on ammunition, and left calf muscles strained from the weight of the bike. Ankle might be fractured. Ribs almost certainly bruised from getting the bike onto the escape platform. Walking is likely painful, should avoid it as much as possible.'

As he lay there, his gaze roved around the room, taking in the people and the contours of this ship's interior. After a moment of taking deep breaths, he forced himself to get up onto his one good leg before carefully seating himself in the saddle of his motorcycle. Fortunately the kickstand was on the side of his injured leg, so he forced it down and began walking the bike further into the ship away from the platform using his one good leg. He brought it next to one of the walls of the room before gingerly stepping off of it and sitting down with his back against the wall next to it.

"Apologies, but I think I will sit here and rest for a bit. Exhaustion is setting in now that the Adrenaline is gone."

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #168 on: July 19, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »
Jayne listens as Enoka comments about the Marshal refusing her help.  Moving forward he gives his best suave smile as he speaks to her.

"I certainly wouldn't refuse help from such a lovely lady.  I'm sure i've got something in my bunk to help stop that bleeding..."

The woman that Mal indicated as Zoe rolls her eyes and steps forward and shoves Jayne to the side "Jayne...didn't the captain tell you to put away your toys?"

The man glares at Zoe and then turns to head below deck. "Fine....I'll be in my bunk!"

"What else is new? Anyways...sorry about him, Jayne is good when it comes to a fight....outside of that...well, yeah.  Anyways, as the Captain pointed, I am Zoe, second in command here on the Serenity."

She glances at the wound on the other womans neck.

"Perhaps you should have the Doc check out that wound m'am, especially while the Captain is seemingly in a "giving" mood."

As Zoe is chatting with Enoka, one of the other crewmembers approaches Seth, stopping a short distance from him and the bike.  Black-skinned with white hair pulled back into a small bun he gazes between the technic and his ride, his hands clasped in front of him as he gives the man a disarming smile.

"Forgive my forwardness...but once you have gathered some energy it might be best that we get you down to the Doc as well, in my experience it is never good to let any injury go untreated for long out here is the wasteland.  Oh, I apologize, let me introduce myself...Shepard Book, and you are?"

He kneels down and extends a hand out towards the technic.

Radobe watches the other two companions speaking with some of the crew and silently moves over to a crate, sitting down on top of it and going over her armor and weapons.

Offline Daccio

• Captain
« Reply #169 on: July 19, 2016, 01:50:56 PM »
As Jayne moves forward and gives Enoka his best winning smile, she would lean forward just a bit towards him, a grin of her own on her face.

"I certainly wouldn't refuse help from such a lovely lady.  I'm sure i've got something in my bunk to help stop that bleeding..."

"Are you suggesting we play doctor?" she asked in her sweetest most innocent voice she could muster. Dropping the hand from her neck she reaches to her belt and draws one of her razor sharp knives from her belt and her grin turns wicked. "Can I be the surgeon?"

As Zoe speaks up, she chuckles as Jayne glares and stomps below deck. She replaces the knife and put the cloth back to her neck.

"What else is new? Anyways...sorry about him, Jayne is good when it comes to a fight....outside of that...well, yeah.  Anyways, as the Captain pointed, I am Zoe, second in command here on the Serenity."

"Nice to Meet you Zoe. Good to see they have someone sensible as at least the second." she nodded to the other woman.

"Perhaps you should have the Doc check out that wound m'am, especially while the Captain is seemingly in a "giving" mood."

"It's not as bad as it looks. A long cut, but shallow. Just prone to bleeding a lot. Might see what your doctor is made of though." She pulled a small flask of something out of her belt, and unstoppered it. She dabbed a bit of paste on the cloth and replaced the bottle and cloth before looking back to Zoe.

"So, what brought you out this way? We were very fortunate to have found you. I couldn't have snuck out with the two noisemakers in tow. Maybe with Sebastian" She said with a nod of respect to Seb "But not with the Marshal and Seth. Glad you picked us up"

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #170 on: August 05, 2016, 07:36:43 PM »
Seth looked up at the Shepard as he spoke to him, the Techanic's moving between his bike and the speaking man. At his suggestion of moving, Seth shifts his torso against the wall and moves his injured leg with his hands, pulling it closer to his chest.

"I'm afraid if you want to have your medic look at me I'm going to need some help getting there. My leg is currently going numb in response to blunt impact. The weight of my vehicle was pressed on it momentarily, and, I've more than likely strained a muscle in my leg. Likely the lower calf."

Seth looked over to his bike, feeling his neck to ensure that the key was still on its necklace. It was, and he sighed, lifting the goggles from his face to look the Shepard in the eye.

"And if it's not too much trouble, could I request that no-one touches my vehicle? It's not delicate machinery, but it's mine, and I'd like it not tampered with."

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #171 on: August 16, 2016, 02:23:26 AM »
"Nice to Meet you Zoe. Good to see they have someone sensible as at least the second." she nodded to the other woman.

Zoe stifles a chuckle at the womans comment.

"Don't think too harshly on the Captain.  He might be a tad brash and forceful but well...he's one of the best damn men I know out here in the wastes, besides my loving husband at least.  Worry not, the Doc might not exactly be that skillful when it comes to human interaction but I'd almost bet my gun belt on finding anyone better when it comes to patching up wounds."

She watches as Enoka tends to her wound, giving a slight shrug to question.

"Well....simply put we were on a run...and just happened to be in the vicinity.  Though I certainly know what you mean about the Marshal.  He and the Captain share a similar school of thought in that area.  Though, pardon my possible intrusion, how is it you became acquainted with the Marshal?"

-----------------------------------------------------------

The Shepard maintains complete eye contact as he replies to the Technic's request.

"Worry not, I guarantee that no one lays hands on your bike.  I can understand the connection it must hold for you to your past."

Taking the Technic's hand, the man hoists Seth up, supporting the injured mechanics weight on his shoulder as the two slowly make their way down into the belly of the ship and towards the medical bay.  As they make their small journey the clergyman occasionally speaks to the man next to him.

"So...that bike is certainly an engineering marvel.  Can't say I've ever seen anything like it.  Build it yourself?"

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #172 on: August 16, 2016, 01:36:42 PM »
"My father built it." Seth responded as the Shepard assisted him in limping toward the med-bay. "It's all I have left of him. He was attacked and killed seeking that machine and the blueprints. The latter was destroyed, and so I'm the only one with the knowledge of how it works or how to build it. I do all I can to remember my father by making sure that bike survives. I've improved on its design and repaired parts over the years, but that bike is all that's left of Alexander Ravenhall. Especially after the capital has likely wiped both of us and our family from its records."

Seth's eyes are somewhat unfocused as he speaks, as if he is reliving the events of that moment as he walks. There was something about this most recent attack that had sparked memories of that day inside of him. Perhaps it was the numbers, the mysterious nature of the attack, the suddenness of the ambush. But this attack was all too familiar to Seth, and he was remembering back to the last time he had experienced something like this.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
The two men slowly make their way through the ship towards the medical bay, the Shepard listening to the injured mans story.  He seems to pause for a moment as the technic mentions his fathers name

"Alexander....Ravenhall.  Hmm..."

The two reach the door to the med bay, the clergyman gazing into the window in the door.

"Well it would seem the good doctor is almost finished patching up the Marshal.  However there isn't much room in there so it might be best if you rest out here until he is ready for you."

Guiding Seth over to a nearby sofa he lowers him down and then takes a seat at the other end of the sofa.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
« Reply #174 on: September 17, 2016, 02:01:12 AM »
As Seth and Enoka chat with the two crew members, the Serenity draws closer to its destination.  Down in the medbay Vil and Mal speak as the Marshal is patched up.

"So Vil, what brings you all the way out here? Especially while in the company of such fine and upstanding looking citizens."

The Marshal chuckles.

"As fine and upstanding as yourself Mal I would say.  Let's just say I am helping out a friend with a....delivery."

The Captain catches the slight hint and nods his head

"Ah....I see, say no more.  Well, I can promise you safe travel to Yewanrey, after that...."

"Don't worry about the local guards or any of that.  I will see to that."

From a small device on the wall a voice echoes out.

"Mal, we are coming up on Yewanrey.  We doing a drop and hook or landing?"

The Captain moves over and hits a button on the side of the device.

"Take us down Wash.  I'm being told we shouldn't have any issues with the locals, and if so this would be a good opportunity to restock and whatnot."

Releasing the button he glances over at Simon.

"So Doc, is he good to go yet?"

"I would say so, all patched up.  Though I would advise getting into any tumbles or anything until those stitches have had a chance to set in."

Both Mal and Vil head out of the medbay, the Marshal noticing the Technic nearby and gesturing that they were headed topside.  Reaching the deck they watch from the railing as the ship lowers down and settles on an open patch of ground a short distance from the walls of Yewanrey.  Lowering a gangplank they head down in time to meet a handful of guardsmen.  The leader of the group approaches the two men.

"We have no scheduled airship arrivals at this time, nor did we receive any contact noting anything.  Explain your business at once."

Vildayvin pulls his coat open slightly, the sunlight glinting off the Marshal badge on his chest.

"Official Marshal business.  They have been assisting me, therefore they shall not be harassed and their vessel is exempt from any searches or anything else.  Do I make myself clear?"

The guardsman stumbles for a moment, clearly surprised to suddenly be facing a Marshal.

"Y....Yes sir.  I do apologize, we will be off now."

With that the guardsmen turn and head back into the city.  Letting out a chuckle Malcolm turns towards the Marshal

"I gotta say, it never gets old watching you do that."

"Well...I'm sure you are aware it is not something I do often or without reason.  You and yours pulled me and the others out of one hell of a bind, gave us transportation as well as medical aid.  I figure this makes us even, especially if you are up to your old tricks."

"Me? Nah, I am a perfect legitimate and honest ship captain."

"Riiiiggghtt."

The two remain at the bottom of the gangplank until they are joined by Seth, Sebastian, and Enoka.  Placing a hand on the Captains shoulder the Marshal nods.

"Well Captain, I would say this is the point where we part ways for the time being.  Thank you once again for your assistance and may you always keep flying."

Malcolm nods, smiling at the last bit.

"Oh, I can promise we will.  Good day Marshal...Sir....Sir....M'am. (He nods at Seth, Sebastian, and Enoka as he passes them."

Vildayvin turns and heads into the town, passing through the streets in a round-about fashion, eventually arriving at the Doctors house once more.  Once more Vil simply heads inside, the same old man from before is sitting in one of the chairs.

"Ah Vil, you are back!"

His eyes immediately settle on the case in the lawmans hand

"And successful I take it?"

Nodding Vil places the case on a nearby table.  Fiddling with the locks on it he pops the lid and turns it to the doctor.  The old man nods and Vil closes the lid.  Gramps gets up and walks into the side room and comes out with three purses, the contents inside clinking softly.  He hands one to Vil and then one to Seth and the other to Sebastian.  He then realizes that Enoka is there.

"Oh, um I do apologize m'am.  I am a little busy at the moment.  If you would be so kind to wait outside I can see you once I am done with these gentlemen."

Vildayvin waves his hand dismissevely.

"She's with us Gramps.  A little bit more muscle we acquired at Southridge."

Vildayvin tosses his purse to Enoka.

"I'll cover her."

"Ahh....well...up to you Marshal.  Once again I do appreciate all of your help."

The Marshal nods and gestures to the others to end out the door.  Once outside he looks at each of them.

"Well, with that I do believe things are complete.  You have each received the agreed upon payment.  I do want to thank you all for your assistance, and I do hope some of you have no intention of violating my trust about what was said the last time.  There should already be a ticket for each of you at the station should you wish to head back to Brimstone.  Perhaps we will meet again, though hopefully not for the wrong reason...."

He gazes at Radobe and Enoka.

"With that said...I believe I will head on over to the tavern.  Could use a good drink after all this.  Good day to you all."

He slides his goggles up over his eyes and tips his hat to each of them before turning and walking away, a breeze blowing through the street and rustling his long dusty coat.