Advanced search  

News:

There is no news - all is well.

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Members: 35  •  Posts: 8042  •  Topics: 486  • 
Please welcome Fallen Templar, our newest member.

Author Topic: Quotes from Epicsauce  (Read 12456 times)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
  • The Rampaging Chorus of Shadow
Quotes from Epicsauce
« on: September 27, 2010, 09:51:59 AM »
Really? We don't have an epic quotes thread for general quotes, from plato to starwars to Viewtiful Joe? REALLY?
There's something wrong here.

People are stupid; given proper motivation, almost anyone will believe almost anything. Because people are stupid, they will believe a lie because they want to believe it's true, or because they are afraid it might be true. People's heads are full of knowledge, facts, and beliefs, and most of it is false, yet they think it true. People are stupid; they can only rarely tell the difference between a lie and the truth, and yet they are confident they can, and so are all the easier to fool.

-Zeddicus Zul Zorander.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
Re: Quotes from Epicsauce
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:45:51 AM »
'To Pretend, I actually do the thing. Therefore I have only pretended to pretend'

--Jacques Derrida

'All great deeds and all great thoughts have a ridiculous beginning. Great works are often born on a street corner or in a restaurant's revolving door.'

'Truth, like light, blinds. Falsehood, on the contrary, is a beautiful twilight that enhances every object.'

--Albert Camus

Ah, literature. What would the world do without you and your ability to convey hard messages so seductively?
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 11:00:24 AM by john greymore »
Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Thus the cycle begins and ends.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 05:53:34 AM »
Cool. I quite enjoyed those.

"It has been requested by Christians that Atheists prove that god doesn't exist. Atheists have stated that it is impossible to PROVE something doesn't exist, as if it doesn't exist, there is no evidence to exist for its nonexistence. They instead asked Christians to prove god DOES exist. Then the Christians respond with 'Proof denies Faith, and faith is all that he is'. which is not only contradictory and hypocrisy, also adds a point to the atheists, because the complete lack of evidence for something's existence is in fact evidence for its nonexistence."

-Me, contemplating the Atheist-Christian Debate.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 09:15:17 AM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 09:16:49 AM »
Well technically there's a long long standing argument with points for both sides, but I don't think here's the best place to discuss that :p

Anyway, today's quote on tragedy led me to this, which I thought would be a nice follow-up :D Hopefully nothing to do with religion

'Those who are faithful know only the trivial side of love; It is the faithless who know love's tragedies'

-Oscar Wilde

Destruction begets Creation. Creation begets Interaction. Interaction begets Society. Society begets Use. Use begets Destruction.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 11:47:42 AM »
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.  ~Bertrand Russell

In war, there are no unwounded soldiers.  ~José Narosky

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 12:37:40 PM »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" -- Chandler Jaroll

"I don't like your face. Take it off." -- Ryuuichi Kitsuna.

"You know, I'm not the sort of man to hit a woman, but if they hit back it really doesn't amount to much." -- Danyael.

"You're a midget. Better than a garden gnome!" -- Unknown

"She hit the boat! I need more black bread!" -- Quote from the Smoking Gun's World's Dumbest.

"Oh, you want breakfast? Are ya hungry?" -- Jo Koy commenting on the creepiness of 'The King' from Burger King.

"Looks like you're asking for a giant cactus sodomization, boy!!" --Soul to Kith in the old forums general discussion forum.

"Maybe I'm drunk. Maybe tomorrow, I'll be sober. But he will always be a faggot." -- Jean-Claude Van Damme.

"I'd like to know if Sarah Palin truly believes dinosaurs existed a thousand years ago." -- Matt Damon.

"Polar Bears aren't endangered, they're just unlucky! They are!" -- Robin Williams on Sarah Palin.

"Someone must be putting something in his metamucil." -- David Letterman on John McCain.

"Life is not one big orgy." -- Unknown.

Lady: "Fuck you!"
Mercenary: "Yes, please."

Religion is a rather personal matter. And because it is so personal, it should be kept in private unles civility can be maintained. Athiests have a long standing status as being blunt, rude, arrogant, unsypmathetic/inconsiderate to the beliefs of others and willing to say something doesn't exist because it is not physically feasible. They then chalk up their villification to the response of not caring what others think, and thus begins the paradox of the way they view the religious community. While there are many who are none of the above, that's kind of a standing precident that's been exhibited by the more outspoken of that community. However, they do provide the drive for people to actually gain a deeper understanding of things they cannot (at surface value) completely comprehend. That, in itself is incredibly profound.

Christians have a bad rep due to all of the crazies that fill the very role of the "False Prophets" that religious texts warn about. The 'bad seeds' of the community are also arrogant, close minded, bigoted, self-misinformed, overly judgemental and unsympathetic/inconsiderate of the beliefs of others as well as unwilling to be open minded enough to understand where others are coming from. However, those that aren't the lunatic zealots tend to provide a deeper, more individualistic view of the Creator, as there are many ways to view something as personal as one's own spirituality, let alone endeavoring to understand the concept of something beyond their own comprehension. We discover new things everyday in the scientific community that supports both arguements. I could say more on the topic of supporting and debunking BOTH sides (on a basis of opinion), but that's not what this thread is for.  And so all that I have said in this lengthy lecture is all I will say on the topic.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 12:55:54 PM by Danyael »
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Cameron

• Knight-Elemental
  • Caretaker
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 01:51:18 PM »
I'm all for intellectual discussion, but let's keep this thread on topic, please. If you want to discuss the implications of religion, please start a new thread.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 10:33:42 PM »
Indeed. That quote was just something from my Agnostic point of view. Didn't intend to spark a debate. In retrospect, I probably should've posted one of my quotes where I take a stab at Atheism as well. Oh well. Let's get back on topic.

"If hell Hath no fury like a Woman Scorned, then hell must be like a warm shower to the unfaithful." - Unknown
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:35:52 PM by Shadow Chorus »

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »
All the men in the world rejoice!! That was a good one.

Speaking of rejoice, let us all celebrate our joys, sorrows, anger, despair, lust, apathy, all things that make us human!

'Laugh as much as you breathe and love as long as you live.'

--Unknown (i.e. Someone said this with no name and I just ripped it off online)

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:26:31 AM »
Interesting quote. I like it.

"I can haz cheeseburger." - lolcats

"We are the Spehss Mehreens, we are the Empra's Fureh!" - Captain Indrick Boreale

And finally, a serious one: "Faith in your cause is believing in what you do without needing to be proven of its worth. Gullibility is believing in what you do because someone else told you to." - Me.

Offline john greymore

• Marine Sergeant
  • This world is Sacred
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 07:43:09 AM »
Dedicated to all teachers. From Socrates in the west to Confucious in the east, From Albert Einstein to Graham Bell, we thank you for your contributions and changing the course of history to bring us where we are now.

'If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of whom didn't want to be there and were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he might have some conception of the classroom teacher's job.'

Donald D. Quinn

'Teachers who inspire know that teaching is like cultivating a garden, and those who would have nothing to do with thorns must never attempt to gather flowers.' 

Author Unknown (It's what it said! I pinkie promise!)

Offline Angie

• Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
"I AM THE ROCKS OF THE ETERNAL SHORE: CRASH AGAINST ME AND BE BROKEN!"

Offline Soul Reaver

• Immortal
  • Administrator
    • To the Bitter End - Warcraft III Mod
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 06:50:50 AM »
Two of my favourites:

"We are our choices"
- Helios, Deus Ex

"Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day.  But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life."
- Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Offline Faidth

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »

'If a doctor, lawyer, or dentist had 40 people in his office at one time, all of whom had different needs, and some of whom didn't want to be there and were causing trouble, and the doctor, lawyer, or dentist, without assistance, had to treat them all with professional excellence for nine months, then he might have some conception of the classroom teacher's job.'

Donald D. Quinn

This is frighteningly accurate.

Offline Danyael

• Chapter Master
  • Get out of yourself and grow.
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 11:36:23 AM »
"If you don't stop adding your own soundtrack... I'm gonna bite into your head like it's a fucking apple." -- Me to a couple who talked throughout 90% of 'The Town'. The shut up promptly.  8)

"Only a man whose heart is pure can wield the knife, and only a man whose ass is narrow can get down these steps. And if mine's is such an ass, then I shall have it!" -- Chandler Jarrell.

"Yak loin. Good to keep the Yang up." -- Herb Shop Clerk.

"More wine, wench!" -- Soul Reaver.
"Yeah, well, ya' better have a spatula where we're goin' cause my ass is frozen to this yak!" :o

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2010, 09:20:05 AM »
"Tha' Reeksail tavern. Tha' only place ta get enough wench' fer' yer' wine." - A random pirate of the Reeksail tavern

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die. HELLO! MY NAME IS INIGO MONTOYA! YOU KILLED MY FATHER, PREPARE TO DIE!" - Me, quoting Princess bride.

"Let's get down to business. To put on, the play. Did they send me curtains, when I asked, for stage? You're the saddest bunch I ever met, but you can bet, before we're through, mr. I'll, make a cast, out of you..." - Me and a couple friends making a theatre version of "Be a man" from Mulan, to go along with our rehearsals for "Next Victim, Please." The current show we're doing.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2011, 05:50:05 AM »
"Double-post revitalization attack go! Direct hit!" - Me, right now.

Offline Veldanya Venalla

• Seraphim
  • Inquisitor
    • First post after joining the board battles
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2011, 01:22:06 AM »
"Inconceiveable!" "You keep saying that word, I do not think it means what you think it means." - Inigo Montoya - Princess Bride

"Have fun storming the castle!" "Think they have a chance" "Nope" - Miracle Max - Princess Bride
Religion and greed, cause millions to bleed.

Offline Tyvaris

• Veteran Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 09:55:26 AM »
"IT'S A TRAP!!!"  - Ackbar.

Offline Shadow Chorus

• Warboss
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 10:37:24 PM »
"Epic topic revitalization post GO!" -Me, just now.